West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- December 1998 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

December 14, 1998
email: levi1042@aol.com
comments: Hey yall, Im back again... This week could be a good week at the 125lb weight class once again... As the South Harrison Duals take Place.. SH's Matt Jones will get to take on Graftons Chris Leech. This could be a preview of the Regional Finals.. Good Luck men.. This could also be a big tournie for Andrew Richards.. With 99 wins in his SH varsity Career, he could be pulling in #100 this saturday. So Good Luck men.. OH YEAH.. I forgot, Liberty Harrison will be there also, so Drake Jenkins will be there to show off his 125lb power.. So he could be giving Matt Jones and Chris Leech some tough competition in this saturdays duals.. Well good luck to all teams and hope everything goes well...

December 14, 1998
comments: I pity anyone at 125 AA this year, this by far has to be the toughest weight class. I run down all wrestlers I know at 125-
hayhurst-ritche, bush-ravenswood, jones-south harison, leech-grafton, blankenship-gr.west, jenkins-lib.harrison, junkins-frankfort,
and rumor also has it that: prather-winfield, valles-weir, shears-wirt county, are all dropping to 125.
and who knows where: corey reed-berkeley springs and matt simmons-east bank will be at! And then there's always: Oak Glen!!!
Have fun all you 25 pounders, look's like quailifing for state at 125 is gong to be an honor!!

December 14, 1998
comments: To Jason Seville--What's the story on Daniel Gilley of Berkeley Springs? I saw him at the Jefferson pre-season tournament and he told me he still had questions about his shoulder. I later heard from a friend of his that he may not be able to wrestler this season because of his shoulder, but I don't know if he said this before or after the Jefferson tournament. He looked great when I saw him! He smashed all our junior high records when he wrestled for us, and I think he's got it all to take states this year if he's healthy. He drove me crazy as a coach, but boy can he wrestle! Give him my best!

December 13, 1998
comments: The 8-team Weir Red Rider Invitational produced few surprises. Eric Noel dominated the 119 class with 4 wins, including 3 technical falls. Matt Valles at 130 had 4 straight pins then decisioned Lucy of Cameron 10-2 in the finals. Weir is still waiting for several wrestlers from its football team. A few miles down the road, an elite field of wrestlers was assembled at the Brooke Classic, including McGuffey High School, currently ranked No.1 in Pennsylvania class AAA. Oak Glen at third place was the top WV finisher in the 15-team field from WV, PA and OH. McClung won the 275 lb. class and Weible won at 135 from Oak Glen. Brooke's Stanley was third 119 as was OG's Logan Glass at 130. Besides McGuffey, Pennsylvania schools in the field included Shaler, Moon, West Greene, Howland, Washington High, and Canon-McMillian. OG, Parkersburg, Fairmont Sr., Brooke, Wheeling Park and John Marshall represented WV. Edison and Boardman came from Ohio.

December 13, 1998
email: seville145@hotmail.com
comments: Corey Reed is on the team, but he just doesn't have enough practices yet. He won't for another week or so, and he won't be wrestling at the Max Horz Jr., Holiday Invitational in Berkeley Springs this weekend. He is headed in the right direction now. In the meantime, we have a tough freshman, Frank Gregg, wrestling 119, and he's not looking too bad. He took second place at St. Albans with his only loss was against Hedgesville's Anthony Regalbuto. Also, Ben Godman, regional champion from last year, was not wrestling at St. Albans because of not having enough practices. Ben will be at the Holiday Tournament, though.

December 13, 1998
comments: Where's Corey Reed and Matt Simmons at??

December 13, 1998
email: Levi1042@aol.com
comments: Saturdays Ritchie Co. Super Duals turned out to be a wonderful tournament. Most every "AA" powerhouse was there, as Ritchie Co. brought home the championship and Calhoun come in second. Congratultions!!!! As 5 state champs were in the building, only 3 could leave with a perfect record.. As the upset of the day came when Scott Bush (Rav) defeated Jason Hayhurst (Rit) 3-2... Also a State champ from Bishop Donahue went down, as Andrew Richards (SH) beat Chad Pupura (BD) 7-4 in a tough contest... Mike Miller (Wt) also had an outstanding day.. But with all the good wrestlers, Scott Bush brought home the "Most Outstanding Wrestler Award"... Congratulations Scott!! I was mainly watching to see what all was at 189lb weight class, all I seen looked average except for Wirt's Kris Villers...
I will have to give this tournament an A+... as it was some of the best wrestling I had seen in some time... Congratulations and good luck to all teams for the remainder of the season....

December 12, 1998
comments: How are things looking at 119 for Berkeley Springs?? Who are the top wrestlers?

December 12, 1998
comments: Although not a major tournament, I would like to share with the state some of the wrestlers which caught my eye. At 103, Braxton Bob Yurkovic looked quite changed from last season, I would watch for him as a possibly state contender. At 119, Braxton's James Harris looked good as usual. At 125 Frankfort's Sean Junkins seemed to dominate with a 30 second pin in the finals over Braxton's Dustin Culverhouse -- who I believe was a Jr.State Champ last year. At 140 and 145 Frankfort's Phil Kesner and Jason Litten looked unbeatable! While at 160 Tony Hardaway-Braxton lost a close one to Chip Kimble-Frankfort (maybe a regional championship preview)!! At 189, Clay-Battelle's Matt Crookshanks gave Frankfort's Jeremaih Kuykendall a good match but failed to defeat him. Now at 215, Dan Lahman-Petersburg looked INVINCIBLE as he won all three matches in grand fashion -- no match lasted longer than 30 seconds. Quite Impressive! And Finally, at 275 Justin Ritter -Braxton easily dominated.

December 12, 1998
comments: Eric McCartney of Calhoun was able to surpass the 100 win mark at the Ritchie County Super Duals on Saturday. Congratulations!

December 12, 1998
comments: An interesting day at the Ritchie Super Duals, that included 5 state champs plus another missing because of testing. Surprising thing was two were defeated, Hayhurst (Rit) by Bush (Rav) named MOW and Purpura (BD) by Richards (SH) in a tight match. Ritchie finished first by defeating Calhoun. Calhoun defeated Wirt in the last round of pool action to earn the matchup with Ritchie. The Super Duals included 3 of last years top 6 teams. Some interesting weight classes appeared early, as Prather (Win) goes from 103 to 130 and Cross (Wt) from 119 to 140 and the 145 class included 2 state champs.

December 11, 1998
comments: Just commenting on the part wrote buy wrestling dad. The one thing that I have found out is that you do not need years of pee wee experiance to do well in wrestling. I wrestled for Williamstown I NEVER wrestled till I was in tenth grade. Yet I was a three time state qualifier and placed fourth as a senoir at 119. My best friend in High School Randy Martin who NEVER wrestled till ninth grade qualified for state four times and placed 4th as a sophmore 3rd as a junior and won the state title at 135 in 1994. Its not years of experiance that win matchs. Both me and Randy did not wrestle during the summer we lifted weights. We were both hard workers and did every thing Coach Pickens and Givens told us to do. I have seen a lot of kids who can call themselves pee wee All americans but that does not mean anything. I am not in anyway downgrading pee wee wrestling I wish I could have wrestled pee wee I might have done better. All it is who wants to work hard and has a lot of heart will win. Not who got the most trophys because I have seen room fulls of trophey yet in high school these people never placed or never lived up to their potential.

December 11, 1998
comments: I would like to wish Coach Maisel and Pastuch and all of the University wrestlers the best of luck this year! I hope to see you all in Huntington!

December 11, 1998
comments: I respect Eric Noel very much as a wrestler and what he did he did his freshman year but I think that he is going to have a tough time at 119 or 125. I also think that Tyler Hughes at Roger Kupfer are going to be tough at 103 and 125

December 11, 1998
comments: Farnkfort wrestled last night, they looked pretty descent for the first match of the season against Westmar and Beall (both of Maryland). Outstanding performances by: Chase Coleman 119, Sean Junkins 125, Phil Kesner 140, Jason Litten 145, and Jeremiah Kuykendall 189. All five of these wrestlers remain unbeaten as they prepare for saturday's Frankfort Invitational.
GOOD LUCK FALCONS!!! GO GET 'EM!!!

December 11, 1998
comments: I was shocked to read the on-line article from the 12-8-98 Charleston Daily Mail about the current state of Kanawha Valley wrestling. Half the teams are fielding squads with little or no experience. Quite a coincidence that I see no Charleston area youth wrestling tournaments advertised on this site--unlike the Parkersburg area. This "ain't" football or basketball folks where if a kid likes to hit or plays some schoolyard hoop he can come out his junior or senior year and be o.k. Wrestling requires YEARS of training in technique since by definition there is no size (weight) advantage or assistance of a teammate to gloss over your shortcomings. You cannot coach years of youth tournament experience and technique in a few weeks. When will high school coaches who are in it for the long run wake up and start supporting the small fry programs across the state?

High School coaches are DIRECT beneficiaries of the youth leagues. They should send their high school wrestlers on recruiting missions arranged with the elementary school principals. They should help arrange access to the wrestling room and provide some student instructors and invite the kids as guests to a team match or tournament. Most wrestlers are excellent role models for a society looking for just that. If your high school coach has not been to one of your youth practices, by all means invite him. High school bands across the state are dying because of the lack of funding for music at the junior high level. Without the youth "feeder" programs, your high school wrestling team could be next. It only takes a few kids every year in the youth wrestling to begin the building process. And, as they say, every long journey begins with a first step...

December 10, 1998
email: Coxy821@n2mail.com
comments: I believe that George may have a bad start but will still win state at125.

December 9, 1998
comments: Wrestling Dad makes some interesting points with validity. Eric Knoll will be an outstanding force to deal with this season. The OVAC tournament...WOW! Throughout past years Parkersburg tourneys have been an assest to youth wrestling, however, choosing to go to OG tournament last year proved to be cost effective and equivalent in competition. The more I see of the developing 189 & 215 classes, the more predictions are thrown out the window. A year has done a lot. Looks like Weir will have a heavyweight after all..at a recent gathering of WEIRS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP football team..(had to get that in there..ha ha) some of the wrestlers and fathers cornered Rascicci (spelling?) and asked him real nice. LOL

December 9, 1998
comments: I want to reiterate a point made by Ken Chertow. Because of its small population base, West Virginia wrestlers must take advantage of out-of-state tournaments to really excel. Oak Glen is a good example--located in tiny Hancock County. OGHS is less than 40 miles from downtown Pittsburgh and only about 90 miles or so from Cleveland. What an advantage! Even its small fry team competes in a league in western PA, not West Virginia. Now if we can only get them to stop scheduling their youth wrestling open the SAME weekend as the Parkersburg youth state tournament, perhaps they can showcase some of the young talent. More wrestlers from the WPIAL (Western Pennsylvania Ind. Athletic League) win NCAA wrestling titles than ANY other high school league. Why not compete against them and improve??

December 8, 1998
email: kasmith@citynet.net
comments: Just wanted to wish Jason Seville of Berkeley Springs the very best of luck this year!

December 8, 1998
name: cm215
email: roo61@aol.com
comments: I am writing in regards to all of the heat that jason ward is getting about getting beat against dearth, well i guarentee that come february ward will not have lost another match. also i was wondering if anyone knew anything about 215 this year (AAA). Does anyone know when the first polls come out? Go Knights!

December 8, 1998
comments: People can wrestle in junior high and in pee wee them years count as years wrestling too. That is how someone can wrestle for 5 years+ even though theres only 4 years in high school.

December 8, 1998
comments: Not enough credit seems to be given to the high quality of wrestling in the OVAC--the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference. Last year Oak Glen was arguably the best team in the state in all classes yet finished NINTH (not a misprint) in the 1998 OVAC tournament. Now let's talk about Weir's Eric Noel who won the OVAC title as a freshman! Eric is a former Tournament of Champions winner in Columbus but hit a growth spurt late last season and could not make weight for the WV state tournament. What a loss for state wrestling fans. This year Eric will move up from 112 to 119 and hopefully will make weight much easier. Anyone who does not include this young man on his or her state champ picks may wish to reconsider. The fact that he won the World's Largest High School Wrestling Tournament (as the OVAC billed itself in a recent advertising solicitation) means Eric would have been in the hunt for the first leg of a state 4-pete repeat but for the weight problem. I will watch him wrestle at the Weir Invitational this Saturday and will keep the board advised.

December 8, 1998
comments: I am a wrestling fan and have been following wrestling for a no. of years.I would like for someone who knows how a wrestler can wrestle for 5 years when high school consists of going to school for 4 years? Anyone that can answer this question the information would be welcomed.

December 7, 1998
comments: When the first coaches poll coming out?

December 7, 1998
comments: Does anyone have any information on the people who will be wrestling in the 160 pound weight class in AAA this year? I would greatly appreciate it if you could inform me.

December 7, 1998
email: MEX069@AOL.COM comments: I JUST WANTED TO CONGRATULATE THE KNIGHTS ON THIER WIN OVER PARK SOUTH. EVEN WITH A COUPLE UPSETS IN THE MATCH, THE KNIGHTS STILL DOMINATED PRETTY MUCH THROUGH THE WHOLE MATCH. THE KNIGHTS LOOKED A LITTLE OUT OF SHAPE, BUT THAT WILL IMPROVE. I JUST WANTED TO COMMENT ON THE DEARTH-WARD MATCH. DEARTH WRESTLED GREAT AND WANTED TO WIN AND HE DID, BUT I THINK THAT IS WHAT WARD NEEDED. IF YOU COME OFF A UNDEFEATED SEASON THE YOU ARE EXPECTING TO DO IT AGAIN, BUT THIS WAS A WAKE UP FOR WARD AND EVERYONE BETTER WATCH OUT BECAUSE HE WANTS REVENGE AND NOTHING IS STANDING IN HIS WAY.

December 7, 1998
email: sullivj2@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
comments: Jeremy Layner is still on the South team but hasn't gotten down to 103 yet. Justin Cox decided not to wrestle his senior year.

December 6, 1998
comments: Can anyone shed some light on the teams attending the Duals tournament in Wheeling Dec. 29th and 30th? As I look over the schedule page I see that some who have been there every year are going elsewhere. Also one teams schedule page says that the event will be held at the Linsley School instead of at Wheeling Park. If anyone can provide any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

December 6, 1998
Parkersburg will be wrestling North Marion in their annual dual meet on Wednesday, December 9th at 7:30. The JV matches will begin at 6:30. This match is at Memorial Fieldhouse in Parkersburg. We hope to have a good fan turnout to support these kids for the hard work they have put into their sport.

December 6, 1998
email: bu118@ovnet.com
comments: - CONGRATULATIONS TO WEIR & DUPONT! 20-17..What a ball game! These boys played their hearts out and deserve a hearty congratulations! Also congratulations to the coaching staff of both sides. It seems as if the merit of the coaching staff of both teams was of a high caliber judging by turn out and quality of players.

Three more will now be added to WEIR'S wrestling team. Think that brings it up to a total of 11.

December 4, 1998
comments: Can anyone tell me what weight classes Justine Wince, Jason Hayhurst, and Mike Miller are wrestling?
Thanks!

December 4, 1998
comments: Wow! What a way to start the season! Midland's top 2 wrestlers both getting upset by wrestlers they would have dominated last year! Congrats to Dearth and Bosley for improving in the off- season...Anyways, can someone describe the Dearth-Ward Match? Did Ward have a big lead but get caught? Or was it close? Or did Dearth Dominate from the get-go? Someone please fill us in the whole state is dying to know! And what happened to Jeremy Layner and Justin Cox, 2 returning qualifiers from last year for South?
Editor's note: Check the December 4 Matlines for a complete summary of the CM - PS match...

December 4, 1998
I just wanted to say to Josh "Way to Go". I have watched this young man wrestle for many years. He has always been the best kept secret at PSHS. Good Luck on the rest of year. Just keep on thinking your good thoughts.

December 4, 1998
email: chertow@themat.com
comments: Midland Wrestlers, Coaching Staff and Parents - Congratulations on your recent dual meet victory over Parkersburg South. Also, remember to work intensely all season long so you are able to "RISE TO THE OCCASION" at State Tournament when the stakes are highest. I hope this victory drives you to an outstanding season.
Ken Chertow

December 4, 1998
comments: Wondering if someone can give me some details about the South-Midland match. In peticular the 135lb match and the 152 through the 189lb matches. South seems to have 4 tough kids at 152 through 189....look for some upsets at those weights throughout the season. South's schedule will only help them at the end of the year so watch out. Thanks

December 4, 1998
comments: just wanted to congratulate Josh Dearth on his win over Jason Ward last night vs. Cabell Midland. Good luck this year.

December 3, 1998
comments: I just returned from the Cabell Midland Vs South match. Midland won 42-30 despite a couple of upsets. As a Cabell Midland fan and a wrestling coach I want to compliment the South fans and wrestlers who offered congratulations after the match. There was no "sour grapes", etc. Here's hoping that South has a good season with their killer schedule. (Lakewood St. Ed's, Walsh Jesuit, Grundy Va, Canon-Mac, etc.) Your team is a class act and you deserve praise. We'll hook it up again at MSAC and states. Congratulations to the Knights and Coach Sparks!

December 3, 1998
comments: chris - (regarding the chat room) i go in there every once in a while. more people are starting to go on i think now that the season is in. for me - i am in my last week of classes - finals next week - i go on when i'm putting off work. if i knew when people were going to be on, i'd try to be there. so...... i think the great editor of this page should set up some times??? or people should write in to say when they think people should go on?
Editor's note: Sunday night, 9 PM is prime time.

December 3, 1998
comments: (to "just a fan")
Gee well then why did oak glen get beat by north marion in a dual last year??? just wanted to know. since theyre the best team in the state.

December 3, 1998
comments: Matt Stevens will be at 112.

December 3, 1998
email: chertow@themat.com
Good to see you've added western PA and Eastern OH tourneys to your list of open tournaments. Any serious WV wrestler should compete in out of state tournaments when possible. Out of state competition has paid an important role in the development of many of our state's top wrestlers over the years.

I have noticed a lot of talk on forum lately about Eastern panhandle kids. (I am not much into the talk but just want to make a point). I have seen Anthony Regalbuto and the Hedgesville crew at numerous tournaments in PA over the past year. I imagine their team will be better this year, particularly the individauls who made the many out of state roadtrips. A couple other panhandle boys who hit out of state circuit and should have strong seasons are Abshire and Kuykendall.

December 2, 1998
comments: The NCAC scrimmage is listed at 10am, Sat Dec 5th. But Fairmont Senior, an NCAC team, is scheduled to wrestle at Preston that day. Anyone know if one of these is an error? Something stinks in suburbia!

December 2, 1998
comments: The "North Central West Virginia Sports Page", a free monthly newspaper, lists in its December 98 issue that University High wrsetles East Fairmont High on Wednesday, Dec 2nd at 4pm. Does anyone have these results? Or at least know if this match even took place? Thanks!
Editor's note: The schedule we got from University indicated that this event was a scrimmage

December 2, 1998
email: bennett4@y-city.net
comments: I'm curious as to whether any wrestling fan or coach has the 1987, 1986, 1985, 1984, ........ NCAA Championships on video. If not, does anyone where they could be found. Thanks.

December 2, 1998
email: bigjunk@hotmail.com
comments: To person sending comments-- FYI, Berkeley Springs is not in Berkeley Co. Just a correction-- it's in Morgan Co. Just Informing you.
SJ

December 2, 1998
email: quarter_nelson@yahoo.com
comments: Appreciate the comments about Berkeley Springs -- but it's still in Morgan County, isn't it? Anxious for the matches to begin -- hope all the competitors keep their grades up and stay on the mats. Good luck to all.

December 2, 1998
comments: When Oak Glen was in AAA, around three years ago, they were a pretty good team. Now that they are in AA, they are the best in the state, any class. Before this can be proven, they must give the AAA teams a shot. I am sure the boys from South, Midland, and North Marion would like a shot at the best in WV

December 1, 1998
email: pstamper1@hotmail.com
comments: Frostburg State University (located in Frostburg, MD) recently formed a wrestling club, meeting Tues. @ 8:30, Fri. @ 7, & Sun. from 5 to 9. We meet in the P.E. Center's Baseball Room. Anyone is welcome to come. For more information or if you are looking for directions, please feel free to e-mail me.

December 1, 1998
comments: Does anyone know what weight class Alex Reed From Point Pleasant and Mat Stevens from Parkersburg High is wrestling at?? I will be checking up on here so if you know just write it on here! Thank You!

December 1, 1998
comments: THE MIDLAND SOUTH MATCH IS AT 7 O'CLOCK THURSDAY

December 1, 1998
comments: Thanks for the clarification from the Mecca of wrestling. Guess all of the kids in the eastern side of the state might as well stay home this year. If my ole memory is right the E. Pan. has had their share of Big Winners lately. There is a little school up there in Berk. County, AA that usually is right in the hunt. Might have heard of them before, Berkeley Springs.

I think there is another unknown school over there that also has a few kids who will be right there, one should remember a kid by the name of Regalbuto, if not for an injury last year he would have been on the top platform at state last year (Who did he beat before his injury ?) Folks from the Mecca better start taking notice of the other side of the state. They may have to meet them very soon. There was also a few Jefferson wrestlers who won the big one before. Jackson 2 states and H.S. All American. Does that count as a big one? Cheers !

December 1, 1998
comments: I would like to know what wrestlers are going to be wreslting in the 112, 119, and 125 AA-A weight classes. I have heard some speculations about who is going to be where but I would like to know positive placements.

December 1, 1998
comments: Talon,you ever in the chat anymore? Is anyone ever in the chat anymore??

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated December 15, 1998