West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- December 2000 Forum (Part Two)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

December 13, 2000
comments: Parkersburg South does wrestle East Fairmont Feb. 10 in a dual. And we will see who comes out victorious.

December 13, 2000
email: chertow@olympianwrestling.com
comments: Wrestlers Coaches & Parents -
Penn State Wrestles Sunday dual meets every Sunday from January 14 - February 4. Matches include the National Dual Meet Tournament & an Iowa dual meet. I conduct a free clinic/workout preceding matches. Typically workout is at 11 AM and match is at 1 PM. Details for each weekend can be found on www.kenchertow.com.

A trip to Penn State to watch some top-notch college wrestling would be well worth it! Try to also catch WVU and West liberty matches whenever possible!

Going to watch the NCAA Tournament when I was a sophomore in high school was one of the most beneficial road trips of my wrestling career. It proved to be very motivational and gave me something concrete to shoot for. IF you think you may want to wrestle in college come day I strongly encourage you to make the time to go watch some collegiate wrestling.

December 13, 2000
comments:
........LETS GET OVER THE LONG LULL AND GET NEW AND REALLY COMMITTED COACHES......
Editor's note: Yes, I got this post, but sorry, we should not get in to this type of discourse here.....

December 13, 2000
comments: To fan: I have never heard of a chancellor. What is that. A front head lock is when you are neutral and have his head down on your chest and you have your hand around his chin or neck and snap him down to the ground and spin behind. That is a front head lock but as for a chancellor. What is that.

December 13, 2000
comments: Matt Stevens is real tough this year (as if he isn't normally). Jeff Breese from McGuffey tech falled Jim Collins in the PA state finals 2 years ago. If anyone remembers Jim Collins from the JIT 3 years ago they will relize he is one bad dude.

December 13, 2000
comments: Congrats to Braxton for thier victory at Frankfort.Lets see if that will hold up at the HARDWOOD DUALS on Sat.

December 13, 2000
comments: From the way that it sounds East Fairmont had a pretty good showing at the Brooke Classic but it is not the first time a WV school has had three champions. Off the top of my head I know that Parkersburg High had three champions( Chris Way Brandon Edwards and Vince Guice) in 1993.

December 12, 2000
comments: I was wondering if anyone could tell me were I could find results from the Cabell Midland Coke Classic. I had wrestled in it the past few years and it was always a great early season dual meet. Also I would like to say that with Chris Dagget wrestling 171 this it looks to have 3 of my pre-season picks for OW at the state tournament(Miller and Courtney). With the other being Casey Dagget who seems to improved dramatically from what I have heard. I am anxious to make it in from school to watch what looks like a very exciting wrestling season.

December 12, 2000
comments: Also... after weeks of anticipation it's rumored that Wyatt O'neil may be coming back to the wrestling scene. He is supposed to talk to his coaches about returning and maybe making his first appearance at the dual with JM. Also it's rumored that he's bringing with him a 215# wrestler and a HWT. These two may lack experience but make up for it in aggressiveness and help fill the upper weights that Cameron's lacked the past few years. On another note Kotson who is supposed to be out for quite a while is rumored to be making a return sometime possibly in January as Cameron's 119 pound wrestler.With these two things happening Cameron's new line-up could look like this.
103-Ross 112-O'neil 119-Kotson 125-Hughes 130-Hughes 135-O'neil 140-Stewart 145-Kupfer 152-Brown 160-Roupe 171-Meyer 189-O'neil 215-Timmins HWT- Beresford. And with this lineup could give Oak Glen their best competition in a while.

December 12, 2000
comments: I just want to congratulate Seth Gatewood! He did great this weekend at the match. I am sure he will do well the rest of the season. Good luck Seth!!!

December 12, 2000
comments: Casey Hughes is actually thinking about going to 130# this year. He will have to wrestle off for which ever weight he decides to go to but unless his brother Tyler goes to 130 he will more than likely end up there. Well hope that answers your question good luck to all competitors at the Berkely Springs Tourney this weekend it's looking tougher than ever.

December 12, 2000
comments: If I am thinking right Braxton and Clay only wrestled at a mere scrimmage. Even though Braxton may have won the Frankfort Tournament they still have a lot to improve on. At The Hardwood Duels everyone will soon find out how good Clay and Braxton really are.

December 12, 2000
email: sullivj2@ohio.edu
comments: Just an FYI: Chris Morrison from Parkersburg South is a junior. His brother Steven is a sophomore.

December 12, 2000
comments: Congratulations to CASEY HUGHES for his outstanding wrestling at the Red Rider Invitational! Even though Casey is only a freshman he has alot of talent. Good luck this year Casey!

December 12, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Musselman's Justin Jones (125) Victor Beard (145) Raymon Watkins (160) and Big BJ Pruitt (275) for their 1st place wins and Kendal Hudson (130) taking 3rd at Frankfort this past weekend. Good luck this coming weekend at Berkeley. We're on a roll guys don't stop now!

December 12, 2000
comments: I never said South would win 9 or more titles this year. I said they had 9 capable of it. Will all 9 win probably not. Fairmont Senior and East Fairmont have some tough kids. Miller (if he can beat Dagget) obviously will win another title. As for F.Senior Jon Delligatti is there best chance a far one at that. Bonasso maybe..... I'd say he'll end up runner up to that Nitro 3 pounder.

December 12, 2000
email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: I'm also interested in any information about the Clay County Panthers. I graduated from CCHS in 1971 and I have the utmost respect for retired Coach Bob Stover. He has always been one of my greatest mentors and if wrestling comes alive again in Clay County as I hope it does we all owe many kudos to Coach Stover. I have invited him to the Braxton County Invitational Tournament in Flatwoods on Dec. 16 and I can only hope he chooses to attend and share his experise with those of us who hope we can follow in his footsteps. Coach Dave and Old Coach I would love for you to meet Coach Bob Stover.

Harper's Ferry will be at WSAZ as will Braxton. It should be interesting!!!

December 12, 2000
comments: Can someone explain to me the difference between a front headlock and a chancellor?
Thanks

December 12, 2000
comments: Brooke is a good tournament but I know it isn't one of the top tournaments in the nation. Powerade Iron Man Beast and Virginia Dual (even though it is a team tourn). Many of the same kids that didn't even place this year were in the finals last year. Not to mention Rawlins-DQed Kelly-out Main-knee surgery Westfall-didn't make weight Farabee-out Hoover-sick we will see when they wrestle Parkersburg South who is tougher.

December 12, 2000
comments: Which Tournaments are considered the toughest in the Jr. High/Middle School division ? I would think 1. WSAZ 2.Wood Co. Clash of Champions. To be considered one of the best teams in the state wouldn't any team need to attend one of these two tournaments and wrestle against the top teams in the state to be considered ( check out last seasons top 5 on WVMAT and see where they ventured ) ? I'm interested to hear other opinions on the subject so please respond.

December 12, 2000
comments: Is Bosely gonna wrestle 125 all year....cause from what i have heard he was thinking about going to 119. I would like to see Stevens and Bosely go at it.

December 12, 2000
comments: i would like to congratulate east fairmont on their big fourth place finish at the brooke tournament. there is no doubt in my mind that they will be the 2001 AAA state champs. i cannot recall any west virginia school recording 3 champs at the brooke classic that is awsome. thats too bad east fairmont doesnt wrestle parkersburgh south in a dual because i bet east would be victorious. well anyways good luck to all east wrestlers.

December 12, 2000
comments: I would like to congratulate scott taylor on his big 4th place finish at the 17th ranked wendys brooke classic i believe that he has the makings of east fairmonts next state champion. GO EAST!!!

December 12, 2000
comments: The information about th brooke classic is not exactly right at 103 Bonasso tech-falled the boy from wheeling in the second pd.

December 12, 2000
comments: To Curious George:
Chris Morrison from South did not have to face Steve Mocco from Blair. Morrison lost in a early round to a wrestler from St. Eds and then wrestled back to take 3rd. Morrison did a very good job for just being a sophomore. Steve Mocco -one the other hand - is clearly the most dominating high school wrestler the country. He lost a match as a freshman and that is it. His record going into the finals of the Iron Man was 168-1. Pinning most of his opponents before the end of the first period. Those of us who went to the tournament also got to see two other #1. That would be Cory Cooperman 125lbs from Blair and Harry Lester 130lbs from CVCA. It was a treat to see these kids wrestle. Cooperman and Mocco will now go on to win the Beast of the East while Lester goes to Reno to show his stuff.

December 12, 2000
comments: Comments to South Fan Beckley-Stratton will be at WSAZ as far as Harpers Ferry I couldn't tell you.But these two great teams will meet two more times before then.But for now bulldogs lets concentrate on the Raleigh General Hospital tournament this weekend at Beckley-Stratton because you have some tough teams coming to town as in Ripley Cammack and Beverly Hills.I would also like to congradulate Park Jr. high on a great showing at Scott Brown Memorial and yes Park comes a knocking to go get em bulldogs!!!!!!

December 12, 2000
comments: I didn't see the results anywhere so I thought I'd let everyone know that Braxton won the Frankfort Tourney this last weekend

December 12, 2000
comments: How did clay do against Braxton?????????????

December 12, 2000
comments: Congratulations go out to Tyler Hughes on his 4th championship at the Red Rider Invitational and Eric Noel on his impressive championship at the Brooke Classic. These two are the elite of WV Class A-AA wrestling right now and I look forward to a time in the future when they stand on that podium one last time at Huntington as champions..you both deserve it. December 12, 2000
comments: I am starting to get kind of ups over the fact tha everyone thinks jsut cause South placed very good in the Ironman that no one in the state can hang with them I am not saying that that is not a great accomplishment because it is they did very good but how can you overlook the great performance OG had this past weekend at Brooke?? Brooke is one of the toughest tournies in the nation as is the Ironman and OG won it without a full line up. I cant wait for the dual and once again congratulations to both teams on great weekends.

December 12, 2000
comments: IS CASEY HUGHES STAYING AT 140 OR WILL HE BE BACK AT 135???

December 12, 2000
comments: Thanks to Brent Sams for taking the time to compile the Jr. High/Freshman/Middle School page. Although it's hypothetical since some teams will never see each other; the kids still get a kick out of it and love to scope out the copetition that will be at their next tournament. We all appreciate the hard work and time involved.

December 12, 2000
comments: early season predictions for AA
1. Oak Glen 2. Independence 3. Williamstown 4. Cameron 5. Calhoun

December 12, 2000
comments: CONGRATULATIONS TO KEVIN BALLAM FOR HIS 100TH VARSITY WIN THIS PAST WEEKEND AT THE ST.ALBANS DUALS. ALSO CONGRATULATIONS TO THE EAGLES TEAM FOR WINNING THE TOURNAMENT FOR THE THIRD CONSECUTIVE YEAR. WAY TO GO EAGLES. KEEP UP THE GREAT TEAM WORK!!!!!!!

December 12, 2000
comments: For anyone that likes to know The kid that Matt Stevens of Parkersbrug beat from McGuffey in the Brooke classic Jeff Breese was the preseason Number 1 ranked AAA 119lb in PA.

December 10, 2000
comments: Why dont you people get a life and quit worrying about how many people are going to win states and who is going to beat who. Maybe it would be a good idea if you people would just let these guys wrestle and see what happens. Sit back and enjoy the sport and in the end the best man or team will win. So shut up. get on here say your congratulations and well wishes and leave it at that. I was a former wrestler and would check this thing everyday to see who was talking about me or my team. Believe me it gets to you after a while. So leave them alone and cheer for you team in silence.

December 10, 2000
comments: To Superman: I agree South had a great showing at the Ironman and they have a solid line-up but they won't have 9 or more state champs. I'd say about 5 would be about right. I was at Brooke last weekend and I think states will be a lot closer then people think with East Fairmont making some noise along with quality teams from hedgesville fairmont senior wheeling park. But when it comes down to it will be a race between South and East.

December 10, 2000
comments: Does anyone know anything about Clay County.

December 10, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Beckley-Stratton on your win over Harpers Ferry this past weekend.Could anyone tell us if these two schools will be at the WSAZ tourney? Thanks.

December 10, 2000
comments: Who is this Chris Morrison from South that placed 3rd at Ironman? Have heard of the rest of the placers but not him. For those who aren't familiar with this tournament one of the toughest in the country. Blair Accademy ranked first in the country this year along with St. Eds who were randed #1 last year.

Blair heavy Mocco is ranked #1 in country this year. did this Morrison wrestle Mocco? is so what was score?

December 10, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Matt Stevens on the win at the Brooke touny and over Jeff Breeze from McGuffy "BIG WIN"

December 10, 2000
comments: I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate East Fairmont's wrestlers for a fine job they did this year at the Brooke Tournament. Placing were Scott Taylor (112) Ryan Keeney (145) Arron Futten (152) who all three placed fourth. Claiming championship titles were Matt Miller (171) Jeff Noechel (215) and Chris Satterfield (275).These young men did an outstanding job at some very tough competion.East will be a team to reckon with this season.

December 10, 2000
comments: forum: just wanted to congratulate PSHS on their impressive showing at the ironman. Though when i was in high school i was bitter rivals with south it makes me feel proud when a team from wv can go out of state and represent those of us back home so well. South's performance shows that the definitely deserve some respect.

December 10, 2000
comments: I was just looking over the Ironman reslts for Parkersburg South.... They are really tough. At least 9 possible state champions. There is no other team in West Virginia that is even close to that. (Including Hedgesville) Do the people from Oak Glen and Hedgesville look at these results or the level of compition they go against. I'm not saying this because I'm from Parkersburg I'm from elsewhere...

December 10, 2000
comments: i would like to say great job east fairmont on the 4th place at the brooke. i would like to know where was there 189 pounder did he not wrestle or just didnt place?

December 10, 2000
comments: I would to congratulate Aaron Futten on placing fourth Aaron is an excellent wrestler with good work ethic. I look for Aaron to win states the kid knows what he is doing if he wrestles smart he could win the state title. Bye the way this is a parent of a mcguffey wrestler good luck aaron and have a great year. P.S. im from mcguffey not fairmont

December 10, 2000
comments: I would just like to congratulate East Fairmont on there fourth place finish. East wrestled very competively with teams like mcguffey cannon mac fairmont senior and oak glen. Matt MIller Jeff Noechel and Chris Satterfield all claimed championships. Ryan Keeney Scott Taylor and Aaron Futren all claimed fourth place finishes. GOOD LUCK THE REST OF THE YEAR!!!!!

December 10, 2000
comments: We're early into the wrestling season but after speaking with coaches at the Independence Tournament this week-end I really do feel that we have to change the weight classes back to include the 75lb class. I'm not going to mention this again on the forum but many coaches who supported the change did that before the inclusion of 6th graders. I appreciate the coach who explained his stance on the weight class change and also his willingness to listen to my viewpoint. Coach good luck on the rest of your season and thanks for being honest and forthright.

December 10, 2000
comments: There were some great results this weekend in some pretty tough tourneys.Congratulations go out to OakGlen and Hedgesville on your 1st place finishes.Sure would like to see the results of the Brooke classic on here.I raised a few eyebrows(and erked a few fans)when I said South had the makings of one of our best teams.Well they finished 5th(only 3 1/2 points out of third place)in the Ironman tourney this weekend.Congrats to Casey Daggett on becoming South's 1st individual champ!These teams and each individual wrestler represent our state well and make us all proud.

December 10, 2000
comments: Congrats to East Fairmont on their performance at The Brooke Classic Tourney they finished 4TH overall ahead of such teams as Mcguffy PA. Shaler Cann Mac and Oak glen were the top 3. The only WV aaa teams there were Fairmont Senior Parkersburg Wheeling Pak and Brooke and East was way ahead of all four ex. FS who fi. a resp. sixth. This Was a very tough tournament that should get more publicity The Bees had 3 champs here are the following place winners:
112- Scott Taylor - 4th
145- Ryan Keeney - 4th
152- Aaron Futten - 4th
171- Matt Miller - 1st
215- Jeff Noechel - 1st
275- Chris Satterfield - 1st

December 10, 2000
comments: Is there anywhere that we can see full results of the Ironman and Brooke Classic??? COngratulations to Eric Noel for winning Brooke and Congratulations out to Dagget for winning Ironman.

December 10, 2000
comments: I want to congratulate UHS on their 2 wins on the 6th...i also think once kinsley is in the line up and their lower weights straighten up...they will give a better match-up next time they meet up. But u also have to remember that East Fairmont has a tough squad

December 10, 2000
comments: Lane from hoover wasnt beaten at the st. albens dual tourney. Hes coach let a j.v. wrestler wrestle in his place so that put a lose on lanes record just for the tounament. But he is 8-0 so far this year and is looking really good!!

December 10, 2000
comments: okay if you people would look at the forum from last year you would see some things never change. How childish people are still arguing over Regions. If you can do a better job try to purpose it to the WVSSAC instead of the stupid idiotic way of going to the courts about it how stupid is that. I mean common' people. Any way you do it there is going to be some team whining and complaining. The person who used the comparrison of South and Farimont Sr. or whoever sad that they could have had a few more wrestlers go to states if the regions would be your way. But what if they had to wrestle the same person that kept them from going to States they would have got beat anyway. Maybe they would have had a few points here or there but really think about it people. Try to be a little more Adultish about this you guys are acting like Al Gore over this whole thing.

December 10, 2000
comments: I would just like to say CONGRATULATIONS to OAK GLEN for winning the Brooke Classic this weekend. This is a very tough tournament with WV teams such as Fairmont Senior Fairmont East Parkersburgh Wheeling Park and John Marshall and very tough PA teams such as Shaler McGuffy Cannon Macmillon Moone Washington and West Greene all attending the tournament. I think this was a great test for Oak Glen and seeing just how competative their team is. I noticed that they won the tournament while having derrick stickles out of the lineup due to injury. I think that Oak Glen is going to make some noise once they get everyone in the lineup and get it set. Congratulations OG and Good Luck in the highly anticipated match against Parkersburgh South. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

December 10, 2000
comments: what happened to Hess at the St. Albans duals? Also who beat Lane from Hoover?

December 10, 2000
comments: Brooke Tournament i need full results any one going to post them? The only thing i hate bout this tournament is the lack of coverage!

All i know is that CM took 3rd place the highest placing WPIAL team.

112 Chad Maggi Jr 3rd place
135 Brenden Steele Fr 2nd place
140 Zack Maier Jr 4th place
152 Albert Miles Soph 1st place
160 Chris Liberatore Sr 2nd place
189 Nate Santelli Jr 3rd place

I know that Troy Letters Sr Shaler won 160 and Taylor Letters Soph from Shaler won 140 CAN ANYONE GET MY FULL CANON-MCMILLAN RESULTS?

December 10, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Casey Daggett from Parkersburg South on his Ironman Tournament win. This is an awesome accomplishment and I hope that all the readers of this forum know that this tournament is recognized as one of the toughest in the United States. Thanks also to the whole South team for their great representation of our state at this prestigeous event and congratulations to our guys at Beckley-Stratton on winning the Scott Brown Memorial B.N.I. Duals. Keep working hard to become one of the best teams in the state this season.

December 10, 2000
email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: Thanks to Coach Dave Walker for a well run tournament at Independence on Saturday. As always the wrestling was tough and the sportsmanship among wrestlers was tops. Congrats to the Braxton County Knights team for finishing 6-3 in duals competition losing to Beckley-Stratton by 6 and Harper's Ferry by 12.

December 10, 2000
comments: Congratulations to the Harpers Ferry wrestling team for the dignity and class they showed when their 46-match consecutive win streak was snapped by Beckley Stratton at the Independence BNI. You guys took the loss like the true champions you are and I know you're already looking forward to your next two matches with Beckley Stratton later this season. An 8-1 record to open the season is not too bad. Also congratulations to the nine Tiger wrestlers who placed in the top 3 including champions Chris "The Beast" Galford at 80 Mike Davis at 145 and Doug "Pyscho" Sillex at 165. Many thanks to David Walker of Independence Jr. High for a well-run tournament and the hospitality and making everyone feel right at home. And to Braxton County Middle School you guys have shown remarkable improvement since last year and are now right up there with the best in the state and you have excellent coaches. You're also a team of true gentlemen where sportsmanship always comes first. Good luck to you the rest of the season and we're looking forward to seeing you guys (and Coach Stef) again next Saturday on your home turf.

December 10, 2000
comments: Congratulations to the Morgantown High School wrestlers for their performance at the Frankfort tournament on Saturday. Morgantown finished 3rd in the team standings and placed 8 wrestlers in the top four including:
Lucas Cappas (103) 1st place
Jared Garvin (112) 1st place
Andy Pintus (152) 2nd place
David Williams (189) 2nd place
Travis Ruckle (119) 3rd place
Mike Malone (160) 3rd place
Will Jones (215) 3rd place
Jarret Belt (145) 4th place
Congratulations and keep up the good work!

December 10, 2000
comments: I would like to say congrats to Beckley-Stratton on winning the Scott Brown Memorial tournament this past weekend.All you guys did a great job keep it up

December 10, 2000
comments: To: Athena
Thanks for the wonderfully kind and supportive words for our boys! We really appreciate it and yes they all worked hard and will continue to do so. As for the mud slinging I believe you are referring to a certain person who goes by the name of "hedgesvillefanm" on here. Several of us parents would like you to know that he is in no way shape or form a representative of the Hedgesville Eagle Wrestling Team. He is not a wrestler or a parent of one nor does he go to school there. He is however an uncle of one of the wrestlers who while very supportive of us and sometimes overly enthusiastic does not know when to keep his mouth shut. While thinking he speaks for all of us and especially the team I assure you he does not. On behalf of the team I apologize for some of his comments both last year and some so far this year. For future reference to his comments please do not take much stock in them but only note them as incessant babble. Good Luck to all wrestlers this year on their road to Huntington. Thanks to Jenny Sullivan (whom we finally met Friday night at St. Albans)for her encouraging words for our boys.....and Doc thanks for this website as it must take endless hours of work to stay at this caliber.

December 10, 2000
comments: What are some of your rankings on AA-A this year. This is to anyone.

December 10, 2000
comments: Wow.....one of the best statements I have ever seen in the forum stop all the trash talk and trivial name calling and I could've I should've stuff......wow just be a good sport.....show who the true winner really is...also Mom is very proud way to go Boy's your brother is smiling I guarantee it!!!

December 10, 2000
comments: CONGRATULATIONS! BRAXTON received 1st place Middle School and 3rd overall. You did a wonderful job this weekend at Independence. VARSITY: 75lb Lance Culverhouse- 1st 80 lb. Chris Morris- 3rd 85 lb Jordan Dennison - 4th 90 lb Adam Riddler- 3rd 95 lb James Adams-1st 102 lb Steve Stevens 110 lb Brandon Digman- 3rd 116 lb James Ramsey 123 lb Jesse Berry -5th 128 lb CJ Jagielski 135 lb Ronnie Stout 145 lb Eli Priest 155lb Glen Tanner- 4th 165 lb Patrick O'Malley- 2nd Hwt. Kenny Hacker-2nd JV- Chris Carson Ryan Crislip Jamie Poling Josh Hoover Shane Belknap Evan Moore Joe Gibson Lynn Fredrick Zach Flynt Greg Shafer Nick Woods Jason Gregory and Managers Stephanie Smarr & Brittany Stewart. (I'm sorry if I left anyone out.)

A SPECIAL thanks to Coach Step & Brian. You are wonderful coaches as well as special people in the lives of these terrific kids. They need all the love and support that you give them. THANK YOU!!!! Another special thanks go out to assistant coaches Randy Woods Tony Hardaway Rob Cline & George Dennison. Thank you for the hard work and attention that you give. GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!

December 10, 2000
comments: I hope the editor will look at this as some constructive criticism. I coached for a time and was a weekly contributor and was here from the beggining. I have been out of wrestling for a few years and have not followed the forum for some time. But I usually check in on the forum this time of year to see whos who and what teams across the state are doing. It saddens me though to see the direction that the forum has taken. Instead of a place to find information and talk the positives of wrestling I see bickering and arguing over the most trivial things-(state-states)

I know there has always been some form of debate but to me I think it has gotten out of hand. To much AAA is better than AA-A AA-A can beat most AAA too much I was sick- he was sick too much the ref ripped me off-I have film too much the coach doesnt like me and doesnt know what he is doing also you cant shake the coaches hand? The list could go on and on... but this post is for the people of the forum. The people who post and read.

The people who make up wrestling. Please redirect your posts for information purposes and positive thinking. Give congratulations to an opponent here instead of comming up with an excuse. I saw a guy in NCAA's have a cast cut off his leg so he could wrestle and then lost-bad-but didnt blame his leg. He shook the opponents hand and then said in a news conference that he probably still would have lost even if his leg wasnt broken giving credit to his opponent and not making an excuse.

Remember that your tounge is the strongest evil member of your body. What you say can hurt you and others. Keep your mouth closed and put your wrestling on the mat and it will do all the talking you need. I know this from experience. I was vocal in leadership but never in an arrogant way. Some of the most fearsome wrestlers I was ever around were the quietest. Maybe I am one of the few that still feel this way but I hope this post will make a difference in one persons attitude so that way a seed is planted and maybe that person can also plant this seed and turn this "me" attitude and I am better than you trash talking around.

Good luck to everyone and keep up the good work and your high standards Dr. Miller.

December 10, 2000
email: mecavender@hotmail.com
comments: Congratulations to all the wrestlers who placed and participated in the Red Dragon Dual Team Tournament. This years tournament had plenty of hard fought matches between many skilled wrestlers. Good luck to all in the long hard road to the State Tournament in February. Also a BIG Thank You to the parents and fans of wrestling who came out to cheer on the participants. Without your support this tournament would not be a success. Coach Cavender
SAHS Wrestling

December 10, 2000
comments: I too wish the Nitro boys good luck this year and a special hello and go get 'em to Jacob Frerichs.

December 10, 2000
comments: Congratulations go out to the Hedgesville Eagles for an impressive performance at the St. Albans Red Dragon Dual Tournament 12/08-12/09. Hedgesville claimed the championship for the third consecutive year. Every one of these young men wrestled their hearts out. Not a one gave up including the rookies and the injured until the last whistle was blown. That reflects the true value of a man. Eagles - Hold your heads high and keep working hard. Winning is nice but only a temporary high - respect will last you a lifetime. Please stay out of the mud slinging - it's a waste of energy and and you need to reserve your resources for the Max Horz Holiday Invitational coming up this weekend in Berkeley Springs. Good luck to all of you. Go Eagles!
Luv ya - A

December 10, 2000
email: sullivj2@ohio.edu
comments: Congratulations to Casey Daggett (160) Parkersburg South's first-ever Ironman champion and to Parkersburg's Matt Stevens (119) on winning his third Brooke Classic title.

December 10, 2000
comments: pleas please put the scoes up as soon as possible.....we want to know

comments: what happend in the Brooke Classic.......wheres the results??

December 10, 2000
comments: I just wanted tp say congratulations to all the boys at Greenbrier West and Western Greenbrier... they did great this weekend. Especially Brandon Boone winning all four matches Friday night. Good luck in the future guys!

December 10, 2000
comments: Beckley Stratton Jr. High defeated Harpers Ferry Jr. High 43-40 and ended their streak of 47 consecutive dual meet victories. The heavyweight contest decided the match just as it had at the same event last season as 1st year heavyweight wrestler Justin Ford from Beckley-Stratton sealed the deal for the Dogs with a tough fought 5-4 victory. Beckley-Stratton also was the overall team champion with a 9-0 record and had 8 top 3 place winners that included: Tyler Wilson (110) Jay Thomas (128) and Joe McQuillen (135) capturing first place in their respective weight classes. Congratulations to all of the Bulldog wrestlers and fans on a great start to the season.

December 9, 2000
comments: In response to ridemboy42
I also was at the match and watched the Mayle/Barnes match. You forgot to mention that Mayle's legs cramped to the point he could hardly walk and had used all his injury time and timeouts but elected to try and finish the match eventhough he was in no condition to. Barnes had not scored a point. Barnes got away with one he may be a fine wrestler but if I know Mayle like I think I do you have probably made their next meeting a painful one. No Im not from Buckhannon but have watched Mayle wrestle for years and feel certain he will be a force to recon with this year as in years past. It just goes to show anything can happen on the mat. I wouldnt have written this but I know Mayle has never and would never make excuses about a loss I just think its the facts you forgot to mention.

December 9, 2000
comments: In response to certain wrestlers not wrestling..
Wyatt O'Neil will NOT be wrestling this year for Cameron. Also I am a wrestler and at times I have pounded my fist into the mat. IT is not a show of aggression as I see it it is a way of curbing one's temperature...you do realize when a wrestler does this they feel like doing it to the opposing wrestler or referee's face but instead hit the mat what would happen if instead of doing this to keep their temperatures in check they just hit the opposing coach?...would that be better? food for thought...

December 8, 2000
comments: I just want to wish all the Nitro boys good luck this season! I also would like to wish Jacob Frerichs good luck this season! I know that you guys will make us all proud!

December 8, 2000
comments: thank you for censoring my comments!

December 8, 2000
comments: To the person who commented on Milton's sixth graders. I made a point of praising those guys too. Scroll down a ways and you will see the post. Thanks for your kind comments. These young guys have a great work ethic and are classy kids. I don't claim that we can beat everyone... but in all my years of coaching I have not had a better group to work with. At our first tournament evry single kid was on weight. They were well behaved and showed good sportsmanship in addition to a lot of guts on the mat. I can only see them getting better. I also do not want to overlook the rest of my guys. I merely posted about the sixth graders to point out that they can be competitive with at least 7th and 8th graders and deserve a chance to wrestle. Good luck to everyone at their respective events this weekend. Special good luck to the Midland freshmen who have their first test at the BNI this weekend. Thansk again for the kind words... Coach LeMaster

December 8, 2000
email: ridemboy42@hotmail.com
comments: I wanted to congradulate East Fairmont's Robert Barnes for pinning Buchannon's Blaine Mayle on Wednesday night. Barnes was a jv wrestler last year but he is a good wrestler. Look for him to pull off some more big upsets this year.

December 8, 2000
comments: re- south fan. First as for your open weigh in the wrestlers and fans here want to see us wrestle you just as we did last year. Unfortunately we don't get to make the schedule. You had plenty of chances this summer when we did have control but you chose not to. As for you disrespect towards our win at the James Wood Quad if you truly knew VA like you say then you would know that prior to this quad centreville VA was ranked 8th in VA 3a and we beat them 62-18. I know a little about VA but more importantly I know how to find their website and their rankings. Do you? So keep on bashing our schedule. Oh and you'll note my comments at the end of last year were also not very good towards our own later half season schedule. You should also note that I also put on here that I think us NOT wrestling you is a big mistake. Who read my comments to you or did you just not pay attention?

December 8, 2000
comments: Martinsburg just started its season with impressive wins over Randolph-Macon Academy Mercersburg Pa and Musselman. It seems like everybody thinks the only team in the Eastern Panhandle is Hedgesville but Martinsburg's got a pretty decent one to. They only lost 2 major starters from last season and just 2 years ago they were 32-5-1 in dual meets. Curtis Greer (112) Blaine Durst (130) Bill Barbour (135) Justin Kessler (140) Travis Durst (152) and Joe Jackson (171) went 3-0. Mike Barbour (119) Sean Agoney (145) Justin Bird (160) and Ryan Bird (275) went 2-1.

December 8, 2000
email: chertow@olympianwrestling.com
comments: Mr Wilson
Thanks for positive remarks on WV forum. I am glad you felt so positively about Camp of Champs. It was great to have so many dedicated WV boys in attendance.

I will look forward to training Tyler this summer at Gold Medal Training Camp and seeing him excel during the years to come!

Ken Chertow

December 8, 2000
comments: Anyone have the results of the Nitro Ripley Logan and Beckley quad. Please submit.

December 8, 2000
comments: just checking out the results page. what is up with all of the forfeits. every match seems to have 3-4-5. the Cameron quad results indicate that there were only 16 matches wrestled out of a possible 42 during the 3 matches. is this typical? i know i wondered how people got 40-45 matches by state tournament time. is that how? do forfeits count toward # of matches? back when i wrestled it was almost impossible to get 30 matches before states i know with the dual tournaments more matches are possible with same number of weighins but what good is it to have 25 or 30 wins if half of them are forfeits? would like to see some opinions/responses on subject.

December 8, 2000
comments: I heard the Wheeling Park's Adam Kennedy & Cameron's Wyatt O'Neil aren't wrestling this year. Anyone know if this is true??

December 7, 2000
comments: Good luck to all south wrestler' at the Ironman tournament this weekend at Walsh Jesuit. Go Matt Bosley

December 7, 2000
comments: GOOD LUCK CASEY HUGHES AT THE WEIRTON TOURNAMENT!!!!!!!!!!! GO CAMERON DRAGONS!!!!!

December 7, 2000
comments: I'd like to say that sometimes wrestlers includig me will pound their fists into the mat as a sign of aggression pain or determination. I don't think this should be looked on as a lack of sportsmanship. Just making a statement. Later

December 7, 2000
comments: Some of milton middle's 6th graders have alot of experience on the mat and just because they did not finish first does not mean that they are not good. Alex Neal is a state champ and Shawn Beckett has won more than once. Austin Moye Shawn Beckett Chris Miles and Alex Neal all have years of experience on the mat.Nathan Wood and Adam Chapman have some experience too. I think all of these guys did a great job and deserve recognition. Its alot harder for these guys that are wrestling the heavier weight classed because there is more competition for them to wrestle. The guys in the lower weight classes have less competition because there are not as many people to wrestle. I'm not trying to take anything away from those that won but the other 6th graders deserve to be praised too.

December 7, 2000
comments: TO: J.D.
You said that Clint Radcliff is Musselman's 135. Clint Radcliff wrestled for South last year. Is there another one?

December 7, 2000
comments: hedgesville fanm1... Don't flatter yourselves big boy like all the other teams that will be at St.Albans we are sending our wrestlers there to get mat time isn't that what it's all about. Scouting your team is the least of our concerns. However I think South has one open weigh in at this time. Why not see if your coach is interested in filling that spot. I promise you this it will be more of a challenge than what you are getting beating teams 75-0. Where do you find these teams!! I know Va.

December 7, 2000
NORTHERN PANHANDLE ANIMAL
comments: FOR HEDGESVILLEFANM1
HEAR! HEAR! SINCE REGION 1 WILL BE HELD AT UNIVERSITY THIS YEAR I WOULD LIKE TO EXTEND AN INVITATION TO ANY REGION 2 TEAM TO JOIN IN THE ACTION. THE TRAVEL WOULD BE NO GREATER THAN TRAVELING TO FAIRMONT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO REGION 1 WINDS UP WITH. THE RESULT AT STATESSSSSS WILL BE THE SAME.

December 7, 2000
comments: I heard that St. Albans has a stud at the 125 and 135 weight classes this year.

December 7, 2000
comments: I think it is very immature if all you can do is get on here and argue about south and oak glen match all of the wrestlers are working hard to help their team we all like to win but if everyone try's their hardest that is what should count. Good luck to South I just think we need to get along a little bit better. thanks and GO SOUTH!!!!!

December 7, 2000
comments: I like to say good job to Beckley-Stratton Jr. High on an impressive outing against Grundy Tuesday night some of you guys beat some of the best Va. has to offer to Joe McQuillen Jay Thomas Zack Evans Tyler Wilson Sean Meade you guys proved last night your victories that Beckley-Stratton has picked up where you left off last season now go take Scott Brown Memorial this weekend you guys are the heart and soul of this team Brandon Bland and Nick Lado newcomers you proved that you two will be a force to reckon with and to the rest of the team you guys did an outstanding job keep up the good work now that you proved yourselves go kick butt this weekend

December 7, 2000
Email: sullivj2@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Comments: In 1994, Calhoun's Jason Rider pinned his first-round opponent in the AA/A 160-lb class in 11 seconds. Fairmont Senior's Jon Kruzel came close to that with a 12-second pin in the first round of the AAA 189-lb class.

December 7, 2000
comments: just a little comment about the regionals and number of teams in it. Have to say great job to bobby9mac in his comments. Great idea about taking legal action about the regionals. Now if a group of attorneys from say region 2 were to file an injunction barring the wrestling of this years state tournament until there is regional equality. Based on regional discrimination of the high school wrestlers in a certain part of the state. Yes it may be without precedent but it may get something done. So again great idea keep them coming. I will say that the idea that bobby9mac had about letting everyone in the state tournament is very intriguing. There aren't that many schools in this state and a number don't have full squads. I think the tournament could be run with everyone and no regionals. This would free up a week of the season in which we could have a state dual tournament like Maryland does. Maryland is able to run their state duals in one week. Regionals on Tues or Wed. and States the following Sat. I would love to see WV have this also. Anyway just something to think about.

December 6, 2000
comments: ONE MONTH FROM TODAY...Hope to see you all at Oak Glen. Mark your calendars now and It doesn't matter how many INDIVIDUAL state champions your school has What matters is the T-E-A-M.

December 6, 2000
comments: To the person asking about the Jefferson Invitational: The J.I.T. looks very strong this year with teams from PA WV VA and MD.

PA - Boiling Springs (two wrestlers ranked in the top 6 preseason AA)

MD - Archbishop Curley (ranked 3rd overall preseason in MD)

WV - Herbert Hoover Hedgesville Martinsburg Fairmont Sr. Musselman Jefferson

VA - Hylton Herndon Robert E. Lee Loudoun Valley Loudoun County Park View Sherando Essex Broad Run

It should be a very tough tournament this year as we have replaced the teams which cancelled last year with quality teams.

By the way feels good to be on the mats again doesn't it?

December 6, 2000
comments: I am an Oak Glen alumnist and I think the Parkensburgh South match will be a very contested match. Look at who Oak Glen has returning they are stacked they have 4 state champs returning not to mention 9 other place winners. Also Oak Glen has the greatest coach to ever grace the mat in West Virgina Larry Shaw the guy is just simply the best 4 state titles in a row what an accomlishment and there no reason why I don't think that they shoud win 5.

December 6, 2000
comments: You guys need to get your heads screwed on right. First, why isn't ? wrestling? If you read this ? all I have to say is that you used to be something special on the mat. It is wrong for you to just quit. ?? was a state champ and you would have been too but hey i guess one dumb football game is more important than helping your buddies win states. Also what happened with hitting ?? Well you idiots made him quit. There goes 6 points at ??? every match. Then we have people hurt too. Where is the leadership this year??? straighten up guys

December 6, 2000
comments: At the ST. Albans Duals a match that that needs to be seen if it occurs on Friday night is the Hedgesville Vs. Independence. This should be a very good match. If it is wrestled on Saturday then Independence will not have their varsity 171 pounder there due to act's. Any comments are welcome.

December 6, 2000
email: firegirl604@hotmail.com
comments: Hey people... I just wanted to say good luck to everyone this season. Greenbrier West is doing great! Good luck.

December 6, 2000
comments: hunter is marks son and anthony matt and jonathon are all his brothers sons

December 6, 2000
comments: the reason it is state"s" is because..... there is more than one tournament going on at this location. Class AAA has its STATE tournament and A/AA has its STATE tournament. Two state tournaments competing simultaniously thus the plural of state is states.

December 6, 2000
comments: Wesley Lane from Hoover is wrestling 135 this year...maybe 140

December 6, 2000
comments: Does anyone know what weight Travis Durst from Martinsburg is this year?

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page