West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- December 1998 Forum (Part Two)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

December 23, 1998
comments: Does anyone know anything about these teams from Garrett County, Md. I was looking at the results from Berkeley Springs Tournament and noticed Northern Garrett won the overall team title and Southern Garrett won four of five championship matches?

December 23, 1998
kchertow@themat.com
Mark Samples, (1994 AAA Champ at 152 From George Washington, now wrestling at Edinboro University) is the 1st seed in the Midlands Tournament at 165 pounds. The Midlands is one of the most competitive and prestigious tournaments in the Nation. It features both college wrestlers and elite wrestlers who have finished college and are preparing for the Olympics. Seeds don't mean much at times, but it certainly is a nice honor. Mark has come a long way. This should remind folks that any super dedicated individual can excel in our special sport. Mark is coached at Edinboro by my good friend, Tim Flynn. Tim and I were training partners during college at Penn State. Tim tells me that he is excited about Mark's progress and potential to do well at Midlands and at NCAA Championships.

December 22, 1998
comments: TO: Neutral Observer
Mike Thompson (AAA State Champion at 171 from SHADY SPRING) is going to be at 171 and SHADY SPRING is in the AA/A ranks this season .

December 22, 1998
comments: This is to Neutral Observer who asks about Weir's 160lb. His name is Vince Magnone (not Mahone). He is a freshman and has been wrestling since he was five. He won several junior state championships in Parkersburg. Vince has wrestled older kids in major Pittsburgh area tournaments for years.He is from a wrestling family -- his uncle, Matteo Magnone, was a two-time WV state champ as a heavyweight in 1966-67. He is exceptionally strong and has good technique, especially in the takedown. He will be a force in WV wrestling over the next 4 yrs.

December 22, 1998
comments: The AA coaches poll came out today and I was suprised by some of the rankings. I wonder why Wirt came out ahead of Calhoun and Ritchie? Ritchie defeated Calhoun, while Calhoun beat Wirt. Strange how things work sometimes. What is more, Ravenswood did't have their two best wrestlers at Ritchie. They might be strong contenders in the LKC when all is said and done. Turns out #10 Braxton might not be as much of a dark horse as I thought. Somebody out there thinks they are decent enough to land a vote or so. Can any one out there tell me about Weir's 160? What is it Mahone or something? I understand he is good.

December 22, 1998
email: smddog@hotmail.com
comments: Beware of Keyser High Schools wrestling team! They have the kids who have heart. They'll be sneaking up during the mid season. Watch out for 103 Andy Stickley and their 215-275 Brian Michaels. They will have a very successful season. when Brian gets used to being down at 215 then WATCH OUT

December 22, 1998
comments: Hey Tybo
When Miller goes to 140 Cross is moving to 135 and Lowe is going to 130 and Shearer is droping to 125.

December 22, 1998
comments: hey Someone
Yeah Bumgarner is good but Gandee is better!

December 22, 1998
comments: If I'm right Logan Glass from Oak Glen got beat his freshman year by Justin Wince from Ritchie. I've seen both of them wrestle and it looks to me that Glass is ready to defend his state championship. It will be a close one but Glass looks like he will win it and repeat as STATE CHAMP. I also would like to say good luck to the whole Oak Glen Team they are a extremly good team.GOOD LUCK OAK GLEN

December 22, 1998
comments: Watch out for Braxton County. It seems to me that they could sneak up on a few folks this year in the LKC. Calhoun beat them this week end at the Hardwood Duals 43 -29, but Braxton was working without some key wrestlers. Can anyone match this Ryan Dingess from Petersburg at 171? Boy, was he impressive (Most Outstanding Wrestler). So was Lahman at 215. As I figured, McCartney from Calhoun at 152 smoked everyone in sight. I still hear rumblings that he may go to 145. I bet Johnson And Little McCartney of Calhoun heard footsteps. They won 3 -2 and 4 -2, respectively against Harris and Culverhouse from Braxton. Winning the close ones is what it is all about, though. I think that Ritter from Braxton and Laughlin from Calhoun are running neck and neck as the most improved wrestlers in the LKC. The two behemouths wrestled to a 7 - 6 decision in Laughlins favor Saturday Morning. Ritter's conditioning is suspect right now, but watch for him to come on later in the season.

December 22, 1998
comments: Just for the record, Kevin Ballam - Hedgesville - 103 was in the semi-finals on Saturday at the Berkeley Springs match. Before the semi matches started he became ill and had to go to the hospital. Therefore he had to forfeit the match. That is why he did not complete the tournament. Hopefully he will be able to compete in Wheeling Park next week.

December 22, 1998
comments: Does anyone have information on when the quad at Williamstown begins on Wednesday?? Thanks!
Editor's note: According to the schedules received from the teams, the event begins at 1:00 PM

December 22, 1998
comments: Sorry for the slander to the other teams in the state of West Virginia made by a fan of our team. I assure you it was not a wrestler because North Marion wrestlers are taught to do their talking on the mat. We do not believe in trash talking and until the end of February when it is all said and done the state title will be up for grabs. I do thank our fan for the support and II truly hope we can prove his prediction to be correct!!!!!

December 21, 1998
comments: Attn: wvreddneck
Don't be counting your chickens before they hatch. It's still early in the season. The Knight will come out swingn that the states, and will be crowned the new state champs.

December 21, 1998
email: TRIP17@HOTMAIL.COM
comments: CONGRATULATIONS TO ST.MARYS FOR PLACING SECOND IN THE RIPLRY TOURNAMENT, 12/19. ALSO CONGRATS TO TERRY CHILDERS, RICKY PARKS, AND ARNOLD HOUSER FOR GOING 5-0 AT THIS TOURNAMENT. GOOD LUCK THE REST OF THIS YEAR.

December 21, 1998
comments: Jason Hayhurst is going to remain at 125. Also, Justin Wince is staying at 130 for the season. I heard this from a reliable source...

December 21, 1998
Editor's note: Last week we had 4,339 hits to the front page, and 25,745 total hits to all the documents on the website. This is well over double the readership of this time last year. If this trend continues we should peak at 10,000 hits to the front page per week by State Tournament time. Stay tuned...

December 21, 1998
From: wvreddneck comments: In case any of you missed the score on the North Marion and Cabell Midland dual...The Huskies won ... that should end the guessing on the # 1 team in AAA...the rest are just going to be battling for 2nd. Go Huskies!! Can anyone say repeat?

December 21, 1998
comments: The South Side Youth Open in Hookstown, PA near Oak Glen High School in WV was a tremendous successs. The tournament had been posted on the WV Mat youth tourney site. Over 450 wrestlers competed and tournament officials told one father they turned down 120 walk-ins at the door. For instance, there were over 32 wrestlers in the 6 and under 45 lb. class so two brackets were established. In the 95lb, 11-12 yr old bracket alone, there were 2 reigning PA state champs and one reigning WV champ among 10 wrestlers. Although most wrestlers were from PA small fry programs, youngsters from Oak Glen, Weir and Brooke competed and took home their share of trophies. All serious WV parents are urged to consider sending their child next year. If you want to be the best, you have to wrestle the best.

December 21, 1998
comments: Luke Salmons is the stuff once again and once again he will be state champ this time he will be undefeated when he wins the state title and I'll be there to support him all of the way

December 20, 1998
comments: Weir competed in the 9-team Malvern, Ohio tournament this Saturday. Matt Valles won at 130 and was the tourney MVP. As expected, Eric Noel was 1st at 119. Bo Barker won at 125 and tough freshman newcomer, Vince Magnone, was first at 160. State wrestling fans will know Magnone from his years of outstanding performance in state youth wrestling tournaments. Weir is still waiting for its football players, including Busick and Zuccallotto.

December 20, 1998
comments: TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:
I THINK THAT BUMGARDNER FROM RITCHIE IS A REALLY GOOD WRESTLER AND ALSO ETHAN AND EVRETT WINE FROM BRAXTON ARE PRETTY GOOD TOO.

December 19, 1998
Is the score right about Ty Emrick losing to Brandon Williams 4-3?

December 19, 1998
email: slwib@prodigy.net
comments: Congratulations to Parkersburg South on a close win over their cross town rival, Parkersburg High. I've been gone from the West Virginia wrestling "scene" for over 10 yrs, and was glad to see the sport alive and doing well! Way to go PATS!

December 18, 1998
comments: i think there will be a lot of good wrestling at the WV state tournament. I think that no one will beat Oak Glen this year or in the next couple of years.

December 18, 1998
comments: I see from the schedule page that this year's Domino Duals is to held at the Linsley School. Can anyone let me know how to get there? Is it still located in Wheeling? Also if anyone has the field for this tournamemt, I'd appreciate a post to let everyone know which teams are going to attend.
Editor's note: I did call the athletic office at Wheeling Park today and hope to have the particulars faxed to me in the next few days and posted on the website. Information is being mailed to the coaches. I can confirm that the event will be at Linsly in Wheeling, 20 teams, some new teams this year, 8 mats. Check the Linsly Homepage for info on Linsly (unfortunately, no directions on how to get there).

December 18, 1998
email: jeremy_berry@mercersburg.edu
comments: How did Stevens, Samples, and George do @Brooke?

December 18, 1998
comments: In the up coming Webster Duals, Ritter from Braxton and Jeremy "Budda" Laughlin (who is coming on strong for the devils this year) will be a good match.

December 18, 1998
comments: How can this site get full results for all WV wrestlers at the Brooke tournament last year, only to have to link to a PA site just to get partial results this year! I mean, one would think that we would make progress on posting results each year, not re- gress the opposite direction and post less results!
Editor's note: Objecton noted. We cannot post what we do not get.

December 17, 1998
comments: If M.Miller drops to 140, will Cross drop to 135 or take Miller's place at 145. Does anyone know if Prather from Winfeild has dropped to 125 yet, and if Hayhurst drops to 119 will Wince move to 125?

December 17, 1998
email: PBerry@access.k12.wv.us
comments: Jeremy Berry: 2 time state champ, honors student, and native mountaineer from St. Marys has eclipsed the 100 win milestone in his junior year at Mercersburg Academy in Pennsylvania, where he is currently ranked 9th in USA Wrestling Magazine...Mercersburg: great facilities, coaching, and academics...email me if interested in a great opportunity for yourself or your son.

December 16, 1998
comments: to : spiderman/forum
Spider was right about 125 being one of the toughest weight classes in the state, but he was wrong about his other predictions. I think that Blankenship from Greenbrier West, Hughes from Cameron, and Leach from Grafton will surprise people this year. These three have definately been over looked in the "great" spider poll. I suggest that he think over his current results and try to do better on his next prediction.

December 16, 1998
comments: There have been some really good observations concerning the way things may shake down as far as some of the power struggles in the LKC and AA wrestling goes. Watch these guys this year to make a play in the mix of things. Justin Ritter from Braxtron County at 275 is much improved and could ruffle a few feathers as the biggest Eagle. It remains to be seen if he can hang with the big dogs like Salmons and this new guy, Naylor. The smallest guy for the same school, Yurkovich (103), is looking good early on and could end up making some waves, too. The best newcomer in the LKC in that weight class might be this Bumgardner guy from Ritchie. I was wondering if there was any speculation that Big McCartney might go to 145. He is likely to be the boss there or at 152. Who is boss at 112 this year in the LKC?. Mc Cartney from Calhoun and Sharp from Wirt are excellent. Does Williamstown have a 112? Watch Rookie Dustan Culverhouse from Braxton, he was Champ at the WSAZ's last year. Where is the youngest Miller guy from Wirt? He was runner up to Culverhouse.

December 16, 1998
Congratulations to Eric McCartney of Calhoun for eclipsing the 100 varsity win mark at Ritchie Co. this weekend. He is also closing on the school records for most points, most pins, and most wins. Also "Hats Off" to a well run tournament at the Ritchie Super Duals. It was very well run.

December 16, 1998
email: WVmatman@hotmail.com
comments: Patriot wrestling club looking for a quality tournament for ages 13 to 15. If there would be no problem we would come to Jr High tournaments. Also interested in some duel type tournaments. Please contact me at wvmatman@hotmail.com
Dean Moore, Patriot wrestling club

December 16, 1998
Rom: AAA MaTfReAk
comments: Regarding post from Ritchie fan. I seriously doubt that Naylor (soph) will upset Salmons(senior) at the JCI. Salmons is probably the best all around athlete in wrestling this year. I have had the pleasure of watching him in all three sports. And I don't think there is a more dominant player in any of them. Dont look for Salmons to get beat. He is the best 275 in all divisions. Watch out South is warming up.

December 15, 1998
comments: Congratulations to Nicholas Hedrick of FSHS on becoming the FIFTH wrestler in schools history to win the championship at the powerful Brooke Classic this past weekend. Nicholas defeated Joe Ford of Shaler High School (ranked #2 in WPIAL - 145lbs. class) in the Semi-Finals 5-3. He then defeated last years tournament champion at 145lbs (ranked #5 in WPIAL) Rich Kelley of McGuffey in the finals by a score of 3-2. McGuffey, Shaler and Oak Glen, WV placed in the top 3.

December 15, 1998
comments: To whom it may concern I know that Michael Miller is goig to 140 this weekend and will stay there for States

December 15, 1998
comments: Why does everyone think I'm wrestling at Phillipi, Frankfort never even had that match on our schedule. I don't wrestle until this weekend at the Max Horz Tournament in Berkeley Springs, ...

December 15, 1998
comments: Is Bush (Ravenswood) looking that good? I attended the Frankfort Invitational this past weekend, and saw some excellent wrestlers from Braxton Co. Sure this tournament wasnt too big, but they had some wrestlers that looked great. Wrestlers at 103 had better watch out for Yurkovic. 119 is Harris who looks excellent, Hardway is the 160, 152 Justice looks great, 275 Ritter is double of what he was last year, and Hart wrestling 171 or 189. I also understand that Braxton had two excellent wrestlers out because of injury, one at 130 and one at 171. Braxtons 125 Culverhouse will be dropping to 112 this weekend. Beware other 112's.

December 15, 1998
comments: Has anyone noticed my prediction: Stevens from Parkersburg is 5-0

December 15, 1998
comments: Spider I think your predictions for the 125 lb class are a little off. I believe you left out one that will be in the top 6 and two that you included will be out. I predict that if Junkins wrestles tonight at Philippi he will get bumped from the top six.

December 15, 1998
comments: I noticed that there are three Defending state champs left off the spiderpoll. Nat Smith of Ritchie who is at 145, Ash Wenmoth of Williamstown who is at 112 and the ONLY person in the state going for his fourth title Mike Miller of Wirt who is at 145. I guess none of these kids are good enough to make the all mighty spiderpoll.

December 15, 1998
RE: Brooke Tournament
comments: Here's how the WV schools fared, from the limited results posted. Does anyone have the rest of the results? (Brooke does not have 5th & 6th place bouts)

TEAM..........1st..2nd..3rd..4th..Semis
Oak Glen.......2....2.........1.....6..
Parkersburg....1....2...............4..
Fairmont Sr....1.........1..........5..
Brooke...................1....1.....2..
Wheeling Park.................1.....2..
John Marshall.................1.....1..

December 15, 1998
comments: Is Jason Hayhurst cutting to 119?

December 15, 1998
comments: I recently criticized Eric Noel from Weir but I think that everyone from the LKC and the lower part of the state are counting out Noel, Valles,and Hughes from Cameron at 119 and 125. Oak Glen also shocked alot of people as they placed 3rd in a killer field at the Brooke Classic. The Max Horz tournament should have at least 6 potential state champs wrestling in it this weekend. Look for such matchups as Lowe vs. Moats at 135 and J.Hughes vs. Cross at 140. Hughes is currently 8-0 and is much improved from his 3rd place at 130 last year. Cameron is definitely a force to be reckoned with as is Wirt.

December 15, 1998
comments: Spiderman I would just like to tell you that on your predictions you need to check other teams before you go predicting, like maybe Cameron at 103, 112, and many more in Camerons line up. They are looking to be tough this year.

December 15, 1998
name: Ritchie FAN
comments: I was hoping to see a good heavy weight match this weekend between Our Thomas Naylor and Ravenswoods Luke Salmons. Salmons was not there but I overheard a coach telling another that he was taking the ACT. Naylor will probably be Salmons only competition in the LKC. If its true, I heard that Salmons is weighing 260 (up from 240 last year) and is quicker and stronger. A Ravenswood fan said she thinks Salmons is going to get a scholarship for football but wasnt sure where. It looks like we will have to wait till the Jackson Co. Inv. to see Naylor and Salmons go at it. My prediction Naylor in an early season upset of the defending state champ. Why not, Ravenswood upset one of ours. We will just return the favor Also I saw a question in regards to Adam Schindler. I saw him at the Ritchie duals but he did not wrestle. I feel we were lucky that Ravenswoods two best wrestlers did not wrestle. Anyway good Luck Ritchie you guys are off to a great start.

December 15, 1998
comments: What I had to say really was about the quality of Williamstown's program. Which I think has one of the best coaching staffs in the state. That I could be pulled out of gym class and thrown on a mat one year and be able to wrestle top quality opponents two years later. Where my first match in high school was against Danny Life of Wirt a two time state champion. Unlike some places where the weak are pushed aside they give everyone in the room an chance to win. I wrestled in high school with nine individual state champions and I got just as much attention in the room as they did. From their point of view the look down the road. Yea your going to take you lumps but it will pay off. With me they were able to teach my how to wrestle not muscle. Yea Coach Pickens doesn't have the numbers he would like but he takes what he can and does wonders with it. I you look you will find no AA-A schools with more individual champions than Williamstown. It seems to me that a lot of people want instant gratification. They want people who will win today. That's were Pickens and Givens they shape and mold the kids to think that yea that guy beat me today but next time its going to be closer. That just cause you lose to some one that its not the end. That when it comes to February that with the training you get that you will come out on top. You very rarely see and undefeated wrestler come out of Williamstown because we have one of the if not the toughest AA schedule in the state. We do not wrestle the same people every week like some parts of the state. How many kids can say that they went to a tournament and say they wrestled a Montana State champ or a California State champ, because I did in high school. At the Midwest Wrestling Classic in Worthinton, Ohio. Which is one of the ten toughest high school tournaments in the nation. Plus they wrestle Winners Choice in Fairmont and WSAZ in Huntington. That's why you never see any super records come out of Willaimstown. Most of their loses are against schools that AAA. You can say what you want I really don't care I just telling the Gods honest truth. I did not wrestle in the summer because I played baseball but that does mean I didn't have a half nelson on my mind.

December 15, 1998
email: bigjunk@hotmail.com
comments: Why don't we add a fan poll page to the website? I think it would be a good way for us "fans" to earnestly share our input!!
Editor's note: Er, um, I thought that's what we were doing...
Let me think about it...

December 15, 1998
comments: I just wanted to tell Wes Pickens, CONGRATULATIONS. Great job this weekend at the Ironman. Placing second is a great accomplishment. Your off to a great start, this is your year. Keep up the hard work and it will pay off in Febuary.

December 15, 1998
comments: Ryan Scott replies to Wrestling Dad's appeal for more involvement in pee wee wrestling with a comment that he qualified for the state tournament 3 times despite the fact that he didn't start wrestling until his sophomore year and spent his summers lifting weights rather than wrestling. With all due respect to Ryan and his accomplishments, perhaps his response says more about the state of high school wrestling in West Virginia than it does about the virtues of small fry wrestling. This could not have happened in neighboring Pennsylvania or Ohio, nor in a state nearly our own size, Iowa. If it did, it would simply be the exception that proved the rule, since the quality of wrestling in those states requires years of training in proper technique, much like Olympic gymnastics, to succeed. I agree that many pee wee "champions" never live up to expectations, possibly due to burnout. Nonetheless, give me a kid with youth tournament experience any day as opposed to a high school rookie who thinks he can muscle his way through quality opposition.

December 15, 1998
email: seville145@hotmail.com
comments: To old Coach: Daniel is not going to be wrestling for us this year...

December 15, 1998
email: chrisat119@aol.com
comments: I'm not meaning to be picky but my last name is spelled Leach w/ one e & one a, thanks.

December 15, 1998
email: bigjunk@hotmail.com
comments: hello everyone, the SPIDERPOLL Part II is finally here,
of course before getting into it, I have been asked by FAN to make my predictions for the 125 pound weight class, so here it is:
125- 1.Hayhurst, Ritchie 2. Valles, Weir-- I've heard he intends to drop to 125. 3. Bush, Ravenswood. 4. Jones, South Harrison. 5. Blankenship, Green. West. 6. Junkins, Frankort.
103- Ash Gandee, Ravenswood, don't much competition here, watch for a dark horse named Yurkovic of Braxton
112- Travis Mcartney, Calhoun, not too much competiton here yet. Although Sharp-Wirt looks, well, "sharp"
119-Two words, Jimmy Johnson, Calhoun I've heard he might drop to 112, WHY??? Watch for Harris of Braxton and Hughes of Cameron
125- CHECK ABOVE
130-Justin Wince, Ritchie will finally win his long deserved state title. Valles-Weir could geet in the way if he stays at 130
135- Ed Wieble, Oak Glen although he's not Logan Gloss these could be like last year's 130 final with a tight match against--Mark Lowe, of Wirt
140-Josh Cross, Wirt is quite the powerhouse, but Phillip Kesner of Frankfort will definitely pose a threat!
145- Jason Litten, Frankfort could surprise many people--mainly Jason Seville, Berkeley Springs, Watch out for Eric McCartney, Calhoun he just might be able to take charge at this weight class.
152- No one stands out yet, I believe this could be Andrew Richards, South Harrison, year for the title. But it just depends on who drops and who stays.
160- Jason Jones, Oak Glen, he would be defending his state title against Purpura, Bis -Don this year, if "Surprise" Chris basford hadn't interfered last year.
171- This has too be the 2nd toughest weight class next to 125, rumor is Kupfer may drop to 171, however I don't believe he will pose a threat to defending state champ, Steve Kinley, Lib-Ral. Watch for a surprise attack from Jeremy Nestor, Ravenswood.
189- Mike Thompson, Shady Springs--need I say more. Possible Runner-up's Weir's Busick, Wirt's Villars, Frankfort's Kuykendall.
215- Dan Lahman, Petersburg--there is no one in this STATE capable of stopping him!!!
275- I don't know where Luke Salmons, Ravenswood is, but I'm sure Salmons .vs. McClung will be the last match of the '99 State Tournament (unless of course the AAA Heavyweight match lasts longer) in any respect, watch for a different outcome this year, like McClung having his hand raised.

i u would like me to predict an entire weight class 4 u, let me know on the forum, or e-mail me. Thanx, have fun this year everyone!!!!

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated December 15, 1998