West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- December 1999 Forum (Part Five)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

December 31, 1999
comments: jonathan delligatti became very sick the day before wheeling duals and did not attend

December 31, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Beckley-Stratton Jr. High on their 3rd place finish at the Wood Co. Jr. High Duals Clash of Champions. While giving up 18 forfeit points during their first 3 matches and 24 forfeit points in their last 2 matches they still managed a strong showing. Way to go guys!

December 31, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Hedgesville for winning the Wheeling Park SUPERDUALS. The eagles went 8-0 a match that had been added in for the end against Buckanon Upshur was later scratched due to the late hour. Also congratulations to Anthoney Regalbuto for being named most outstanding wrestler for the 2nd straight year. Also congratulations to Dustin Bowers Danny Lord Jimmy Shetler Brian Moats and Regalbuto for going undefeated through the two day duals. Hedgesville upperweights scored some upsets through the two days if they keep working hard they should be a force through regionals and states. Congratulations to 2nd place team Fairmont Sr. you all have a very good squad. Hey where are the 3A coaches polls I would have to say now that Parkersburg South would be #1 and Hedgesville would have to be #2. Also no Hedgesville did not get to wrestle Cabell Midland because Tippicanoe tied in there dual but based on more matches won Tipp got the win. Hedgesville wrestled Tipp and beat them handily. Hopefully possibility of getting Cabell on the schedule in dual later this season. Anyway congrats to all the eagle wrestlers lets keep working hard looking at both short and long term goals for the season. Next up Jefferson Invitational good luck to all eagles there and Fairmont we will be seeing you there lets see what happens scorewise between the two teams in a tourney.

December 31, 1999
comments: All AAA 103 pounders should watch out for Matt Easter of Nitro He is looking very impresive and could take it all the way. Good Luck Matt

December 31, 1999
email: LHess42364@aol.com
comments: 12/31/99 Congratulations to the Hedgesville Eagles for winning the Wheeling Duals! The Lightweights were outstanding as usual and some of the heavyweights really stepped it up for this one. The Eagles are really looking solid. Good Luck at Jefferson!

December 31, 1999
fairmont did not wrestle jeffferson. They were suppose to but Weir needed a mathc so we wreslted them in stead in the same slot. as i recall the team champions were 1) hedgesville 2) Fairmont Senior 3) North marion

December 30, 1999
We have all the Wheeling Park Duals results posted through the 1:30 to 3:00 PM round on day 2, and 4 of the 3:00 to 4:30 matches. We don't have the matches at the end because, er, um, the editor got tired and went home. Here are the scheduled matches for which we have no results. If anyone has them, pass them along...
3:00 to 4:30 PM
Buckeye Local vs Martinsburg

4:30 to 6:00 PM
Martinsburg vs University
Fairmont East vs North Marion
Tippicanoe vs Buckeye Local
Jefferson vs Steubenville

6:00 to 7:30 PM
Edgewood vs Carrollton
Brooke vs Wheeling Park
In answer to some other questions:
The format was round robin in pools on day one.
Day two pools were determined by results of day one.
No individual champs were recognized (to my knowledge).
I don't know who (if anyone) was recognized as team champ, but Hedgesville was the only 7-0 team with one match remaining
Four matches per day.
Hedgesville and Midland did not meet (I don't think).

December 30, 1999
Patriot Wrestling Club
comments: To Jim LeMaster Matt Smith wrestled 103 last year and lost to Jeremy Layner in the state quarterfinals. He started the year out at 112 and is wrestling 103 now. Mitch is his little brother. Sorry Mitch!! The Smiths and the Easters wrestle for our club before the season started and after besides camps. I am thinking that if things go as the way i have said i am predicting that if bracketed right they should meet in the State Finals. Only time will tell.

December 30, 1999
comments: Hey what happened to parkersburg team at Powerade? Stevens & George were seeded then taken off brackets. i see some of their guys are doing alright but why wouldn't two state champions wrestle?

December 30, 1999
comments: Are they going to post the results from the Brecksville Tournement on here it would be a big help if you could thanks!!!
Editor's note: We post whatever we get...

December 30, 1999
comments: I am a wrestler for the Keyser Golden Tornado. The talking about facilities makes me sick. We recently got a new high school and an extended gym(which is still being paid for). We practiced in a cafeteria for a year moving tables all around. Now practice is held in the gym in a small enough area not to disturb the cheerleaders and basketball players. we move bleachers in front of the mats so we dont disturb anyone. I would give anything to get the facilities you guys have. Quit your whining and be thankful.

December 29, 1999
comments: To: Jim LeMaster
In regards to your post concerning the Smith brothers from Ripley Matt Smith wrestled 103 last year and is wrestling 103 again this year. His younger brother Mitch is the one wrestling 123 for Ripley Middle. The 125 from Ripley last year was Adam Smith (no relation). Adam is wrestling 130 or 135 this year.

December 29, 1999
From the Hearld Dispatch Dec 23
Huntington HS went 4-1 to finish second in the Indiana Super Duals held Thursday at Floyd Central High School. The Highlanders opened with a 48-25 win over host Floyd Central. They also beat Fern Creek Ky. Louisville St Xavier and Corbin Ky. They lost to champion Indianapolis Pike in the final match 34-28. The win over St. Xavier was a first for HHS. Robbie Williams went 5-0 to win the 125 pound title. Zack Meyers at 135 also went 5-0. Huntington is off until Jan. 7-8 when it competes in the Nitro Invitational.

December 29, 1999
comments: This is the last thing I am going to say about this subject. A couple of weeks ago I posted some comments about Ravenswood to give the wrestlers all other athletes coaches and volunteers some recognition for what they have worked hard to attain. In no way did I post this to brag. As I said the old wrestling room could not even house a full size mat. The team even had to move a home quad that had been on the schedule for 20 years so middle school basketball could have a game. Wrestling has struggled at Ravenswood but as I said in my first post it is on the rebound and the new facility that we have can only help with the success of the program. I am not saying just because we have this great place to wrestle it will make State Champions. It probably will help though.

December 29, 1999
comments: anyone know what happened to jonathan delligatti at the wheeling park duals??

December 29, 1999
comments: Is there a AAA team poll out yet?? I havent seen one yet but accroding to Dave Poe of the Parkersburg News South is ranked number one. I was just thinking how can they be number one if the coaches havent put out a poll yet?

December 29, 1999
comments: You all are talking about facilities. In my school Frankfort we never had and they still don't even have a wrestling room. Practice is held in the cafeteria and the mats have to be rolled out before practice and rolled up after practice EVERY DAY. Maybe that's what kept us n shape. LOL
Anyway who cares about facilites we have just about zilch and we've always manage to be competitve.

December 28, 1999
comments: congratulations eagles on your berkeley county championship now lets take it up another notch and win wheeling. congratulations to Anthony Regalbuto on his most outstanding award at berkeley springs. Good luck at wheeling park men.

December 28, 1999
comments: What i think is sad id that some High Schools dont even get to wrestle in front of there home crowd. Cause they have to give way to all these basketball teasm which allways seem to get precident over wrestling teams

December 28, 1999
comments: Re: comments by Dean Moore...
Would that be the same Matt Smith who wrestled 125 for Ripley last season. He seemed to be a pretty big 125 and 103 seems a little low. or perhaps little brother Mitch who is currently wrestling 123 for Ripley Middle but I am pretty sure he is a 7th grader. I have watched all the Easter boys and the Smiths over the years during their association with K. Chertow and at Jr. States and national events. Unless it's Matt who was 125 last season and placed at states then I can't figure out the matchup! Also don't count out Midland's Justin Stanley who has given those guys all they wanted in a few matches. 103 shouldbe intriging though to say the least.

December 28, 1999
comments: Hey Sports Fans! : check out (www.wvsports.com) site go to Sports Excellence Awards has top athletes in each sport wrestling football hoops swimming. Great site!

December 28, 1999
comments: Reply to Talon...
I in no way meant to imply there were not GREAT female statistcians. In fact one of the high school wrestlers who may work my match this year and would probably have worked at B'Ville is Christina "Moochie" Morton who wrestled 2 years in middle school for me and is currently wrestling as a freshman for Cabell Midland. Therefore she was busy during the Barboursville Tournament thumping a number of guys! (She has placed in several tournaments this year - see score for BNI etc.) I also had a girl who was my scorekeeper last year who did a great job. My comment was directed towards untrained scorers who are quite often cheerleaders (not well schooled mat maids). I hope no offense was taken!

December 28, 1999
comments: Hey does anyone no anything about who Point Pleasant has this year. I heard they are doing pretty good. Who is wrestling where?

December 28, 1999
Patriot Wrestling Club Coach
email: comments: I find it interesting that no one has mentioned Matt Smith of Ripley at the 103 lb weight class. I am sure everyone will know his name come the last saturday night in february on mat 1 at 8:00pm. Dont be surprised if it is Matt Easter vs. Matt Smith. Ripley vs. Nitro provided that they are paired apart from one another!! I have been lucky enough to not miss on the team champions for several years and dont think i will miss on this one.To pick a winner between the two They are both very exceptional kids and on any given day either could win!

December 28, 1999
comments: Does anyone know what the brackets are for SuperDuals?

December 28, 1999
comments: Chris Johnson is staying at 119 and Robbie Ripley is staying at 125.

December 28, 1999
comments: I just wanted to wish the parkersburg South Patriots a very good luck in the Brecksville tourney....GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!

December 27, 1999
email: lantmir@charlie.cns.iit.edu
comments: I would just like to quickly respond to Mr. LeMaster's comment from the 23rd about the running of tournaments. First of all I'm SURE he didn't mean to put down all female stat keepers....
I do have to admit I agree with him that too often unexperienced "matmaids" (most of which are glorified cheerleaders) are pulled out for use only in tournaments and therefore really have no stat keeping experience... and botch things up.

I'd just like to ask though - why is the state tournament ran by young girls who are not experienced? (at least it doesn't seem like they are - I COULD be wrong I guess) I wonder why they don't get experienced wrestling statisticians to come from all over the state (most of whom come every year anyway) to run the tables. I know the ref's are at each table but it would make things that much smoother if the other workers were experienced. Perhaps the table ref could even be eliminated?

I know I would jump at the chance to DO something at states (especially if part of my plane ticket from chicago was paid for). I've heard of this idea before... and am wondering why its never been put into effect? It would be pretty easy to use some sort of rating system on the stats people - maybe have the refs or other coaches rate them? And pick the best ones to come down to do states. Maybe get like 4 from each region or something? I dont' know... just seems like a more logical way than getting a bunch of people to do it who obsess and even stalk the wrestlers... and who ... um... get distracted easily :)

If you've been doing stats for years... I assure you... the novelty of watching the wrestlERS wears off... you're much more interested in the wrestlING. I guess though I'd just like to remind everyone (Especially Mr. LeMaster) that there are some good female statisticians out there...
Editor's note: Hmmmm. I can think of several reasons why it would make sense to recognize scholastic sport support staff in some sort of meaningful way. These students work under the title of "manager, student trainer, statistician, Mat-Stats, mat-maids," and others. Some schools offer varsity letters for their efforts. If the WVSSAC were to recognize these activities as an "official" extra-curricular activity, it might, if nothing else, provide some additional "gender balance" in the TITLE IX numbers game. While "team management" is not strictly speaking athletic competition, neither is band which is sanctioned by the WVSSAC. Just a thought....

December 27, 1999
comments: Who cares whoose facilties are bigger than one anothers. There are many schools that wish to have 1/3 of the things you are talking about ...

December 27, 1999
email: Broadway8up@aol.com
comments: Does anyone know wether or not we are getting a weight allowance at Wheeling this week? If someone knows could they please e-mail me. Thanks!

December 27, 1999
comments: I talked to Coach Riggs from Cammack today and he indicated that there had been some confusion on how to count a duals event recently attended. There were in fact eight teams but each wrestler only wrestled four times (3 in each pool plus a pull out match for 1-2 3-4 etc.) Would this count as 1 or 2 weigh ins is the question. If it counts as 2 then Coach Riggs said he would drop one event as per the post of R. Hickman. I have no ax to grind with Cammack. We are tough rivals but get along OK. I was curious because I attended the same duals and counted it as 2 weigh ins because there were more than 4 teams involved. Can someone clear up exactly how to count this? Thanks and happy holidays to all. PS good luck to the Cabell Midland Knights as they venture north to the big duals event in Wheeling.

December 27, 1999
comments: all this talk about Ravenswood and ripley wrestling facilities! Think about Hoover. They have a wrestling room and that is it. To have a match they have to schedule around 5 to 6 basketball teams. They don't have much but I think they do a fine job with what they have

December 27, 1999

comments: To: Ripley Boy.
Yes you have a fine wrestling area in the Chancey-Walker building. I know Gary Walker and the late Howard Chancey and they and many other people put alot of hard work into the building. I feel that the facility you have is one of the reasons that wrestling is doing well in your school. It would be safe to say that you have the best facility in AAA. Now the rival will come out in me. I feel that the Ravenswood facility building is superior because of its shear size. It has 8 000 sq feet-80X100. It is close to double the size of your building. Nineteen laps inside make one mile on the running track. Does your building have a running track in it? If Im not mistaken the Ripley wrestlers have to run outside on the track around the football field because there is not enough space inside your building. The Ravenswood building is totally dedicated to sports whereas the Ripley building has bingo played in it (which funds the building I think). In Ripley there are no events hosted in the Chancey Walker facility because of its location. But in Ravenswood there are possibilites of tournaments being able to be run in the new facilities building and the Old gym because they are connected. Thats a possibility of 6 mats. What a tournament Ravenswood could hold. All sports can benifit at our building the eves are 20 feet going to 25. Ravenswood can run football practice inside. Again Ripley has a great building but it does not compare to the superiority of the brand new Facilities Building at RAVENSWOOD.

December 27, 1999
comments: Why would u put the comment for the Ripley boy down grading the Ravenswood facialty evne on here. I thikn it is very inaportiate they way he is down grading something some one is proud of!
Editor's note: Objections noted. Actually, I cut a bunch of stuff out of the post to which you refer, or you would really be p.o.'ed (smile). Sounds like these are both fine facilities, and I'd like to see them sometime. We have too many teams still forced to conduct practice in the cafeteria or wherever.

December 27, 1999
comments: I dont agree with phanatik's choices of ballam 2nd at 103 i think he is a good wrestler but i like delligatti vs. nitros 103. at 112 i think johnson if he cuts is the clear-cut favorite to beat stevens. at 119 if johnson cuts i like bowers and ripley dont know anything else bout the other 119's. otherwise nice predictions. i wish more peeps would predict classes. watch out for shetler at 130! merry christmas!

December 27, 1999
comments: 14 weigh ins is still the number for Middle Schools. There could be several reasons for the 16 wiegh ins. 1) The team may have plenty of wrestlers and the coach will manage the wrestlers number of wiegh ins. 2) Because weather frequently causes cancellation of sporting events it is prudent to schedule a couple extra weigh ins and drop the appropriate number if no cancellations occur. It is much easier to back out of a tournament than to try to pick up another match or two at the last minute. Thanks for pointing out the extra weigh ins. It reminds us people do notice what is going on. I also look foward to the Cammack response.

December 25, 1999
comments: Glad to see the updated team page from Cammack Middle. Hmmm? It seems they have 16 weigh ins not including the Cabell Co. Tournament. Did they change the number allowed from 14 to 16? Is this a typo? Just asking... if someone changed the rule then my kids want to wrestle an extra tournament too!

December 25, 1999
comments: where is Wellman the Heavyweight from Cabell Midland I havent seen his name on the scores

December 25, 1999
comments: Nothing against Dagget but Williams was just coming off of the State Championship Football team. Anyone that knows anything about sports know that football conditioning is a little different from Wrestling. Let's see what happens a next time or the state.

December 25, 1999
comments: Will Westbrook is hurt but is hoping to return for Williamstown later in the year. He is going to wrestle 130 when he comes back.

December 24, 1999
comments: Is it just me or is wrestling in the state of WV really down this year or what?

December 24, 1999
comments: Why did Josh Coffey decide to drope to 189 anyway. Did he just want to win a state title in two weight classes before he got out of High School. I can't really see the reasoning in him droping.

December 24, 1999
comments: TO Old COACH
YOUR WRONG Sorry many of the kids matches were not sanctioned and don't count.

December 24, 1999
email: BlondeJustice2000@hotmail.com
comments: Congratulations to Independence High School. Today at the Super Quad they beat Berkely Springs and Wirt County then lost a close battle with Williamstown 45-36. GO PATRIOTS

December 24, 1999
comments: this goes out to Ravenswood fan.. Hey Ravenswood fan I don't think your wrestling facility is the best in the state because about 10 miles South of you lies Ripley's Chancey-Walker wrestling building which is much more superb than your facility....

December 24, 1999
Christiansburg Holiday Tournament

December 24, 1999
email: bub_103@yahoo.com
comments: Does anyone know what Ashley Gandee is wrestling this year is he going to stay at 112 or drop to 103. One more qurstion what is Joey Sharp of Wirt County wrestling? Please e-mail me and tell me.

December 24, 1999
comments: i would like congratulate Dany Lord for his efforts at the Berkely Springs tournament. He beat Tyler Hughes 10-0 in the semi-finals and pinned his kid in the finals. I expect him to be in the top four at states this year at 125. Also to Dustin Bowers on His performances at the Berkely county tournament. Keep working hard and bring home a state championship home for the eagles.

December 24, 1999
comments: I've been told that Richwoods 145 Shane Boggs was injuried in football how is he doing now?

December 24, 1999
comments: Coffey has only wrestled maybe 4 or 5 times the first was against south and he got really sick and the others were at 215 because he did have some trouble making 189 but now is ok. so he is in full health now and ready to repeat. By the way why hasnt werhle wrestled any and why is he trying to cut to 189

December 24, 1999
comments: What happened to Will Westbrooke from Williamstown is he hurt or just not wrestling?

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page