West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February 2003 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 7, 2003
comments: Congradulations to Elkview Middle School for placing 2nd in the Kanawha County Tournament.....
Congrats to "Big Josh Evans" for winning Heavy Weight Champion....look forward to seeing you next year wrestling.

February 7, 2003
comments: Does anyone know what time finals are set for in the MSAC tournament tomorrow? If ya have any info it would be helpful!

February 7, 2003
comments: If there was ever a "Murders Row" then you might take a look at South's 1995 team when 11 of them(yea 11) took on the rest of the state in the state finals in Huntington.

February 7, 2003
comments: Gungle,Ashley, Metz, Morris, Burge, OG better watch their backs at states. Calhoun is gonna storm through LCKs and that's just the begining.

February 7, 2003
comments: to SOUTHFAN i agree totally with your predictions

February 7, 2003
comments: Parkersburg and p.south will only have 6 champions from their county this year not 11. No way possible.

February 7, 2003
comments: ¿¿¿Hays, Shyver, Rader, Grogg, Knapp, Young, Norman, Walters, Pickens, Thomas, Dearman???
Easter, Easter, Smith, Bliss/Lord, Casto/Gibbs, Mayle, Starsick/Geary, Dilworth.... there is the rest of the state...

February 7, 2003
comments: One thing about opinions, they're opinions. I've noticed only a few undefeated wrestlers in the state.Granted there are some with no losses in the state,but they have lost.Who is better AAA or AA-A,only way to say, is if they go head to head and let the wrestlers sort it out themselves.Combine AAA,AA-A for state's or add another weekend and wrestle the place winner's for a true state champion.MY OPINION BU-fan

February 7, 2003
comments: ANYONE KNOW THE START TIME FOR THE NCAC'S TOMORROW @ NORTH MARION????
GO BEES!

February 7, 2003
comments: The OVAC team score results on this web site on not the final results, looks like the score before the finals were run sat eve.
look here to see the actual final team score:
http://www.ovaecwrestling.com/web/ovac2003home.htm

Meadowbrook 92.5 Cameron 91.5
Editor's note: Yikes, looks like you are on to something. I need to put it on my list of things to do this weekend to buff this up. If I forget, someone please remind me next week.....

February 7, 2003
comments: To South Fan: When you make predictions, try to make them realistic, no one cares that you think that the City of Parkersburg is the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread. All I have to say are these names and I think you'll catch my drift: Anthony Easter, Daniel Lord/Phil Bliss, Chris Gibbs/Mitch Casto, Blane Mayle, Ty Phalen/Dillworth.

February 7, 2003
comments: How can anyone make predictions accurately when scores from all the wrestling matches aren't turned in.

February 7, 2003
Oh by the way GO get EM Calhoun this weekened at LKC Bring it home again!!
And good luck and wrestle safe to everyone out there

February 7, 2003
comments: Hey, thanks for this forum as a place for West Virginia wrestling fans to get their opinions out to those of us who love the sport.
Good luck to all the state wrestlers gearing up for Regionals . . . may your tech. falls be solid, your pins be many, and your decisions fair.
Special good luck to Tyler's seniors: Alex Northcraft, Sam Gieseke, Michael Galluzzo, Jesse McNeely, and Luke Shepherd.
Lookin' for some good things to happen as well from Hundred's Daniel Whiteman and Brandon Hunt; St. Mary's Pete Hashman; and Ravenswood's Judd Billings.
Good Luck and good wrestling to all!!!!!

February 7, 2003
comments: I would just like to say great job to all our seniors thus far this year, keep it up all four of you should place this year. And to Nick Duncan GREAT career!!! you are ~149-31~ thus far in your career. Great job so far, you are really fun to watch! I wish you the best and I KNOW you can win it all this year.

February 7, 2003
comments: 103
1.Billings(Rav)
2.Gungle(Cal)
3.Sasser(Roa)
4.Bartrug(St.M)
1.Morris(Brax)
2.Sampson(Cal)
3.Mahan(Clay)
4.Davis(Roa)
1.Bartrug(St.M)
2.Allan(Wirt)
3.Cummings(Cal)
4.Biddle(Will)
1.Ashley(Cal)
2.Biddle(Will)
3.Digman(Brax)
4.Price(Clay)
1.McCoy(Wirt)
2.Dimarco(Will)
3.Burks(Brax)
4.Stutler(Clay)
1.Lobis(Rit)
2.Price(Cal)
3.Flynt(Brax)
4.Smith(Wirt)
1.Elder(Will)
2.Dye(Wirt)
3.Goodrich(Cal)
4.Everette(St.M)
1.Metz(Cal)
2.Miller(Wirt)
3.Wince(Rit)
4.Dennis(Rav)
1.Morris(Cal)
2.Tracewell(Will)
3.Dye(Wirt)
4.Hashman(St.M)
1.Smith(Will)
2.Stewart(Brax)
3.Burgess(Roa)
4.Merola(Cal)
1.Burge(Cal)
2.Schindler(Rav)
3.Miller(Wirt)
4.Craddox(Roa)
1.Freeland(Roa)
2.Lauderman(Will)
3.Swiger(Rit)
4.Lott(Wirt)
1.Hashman(St.M)
2.Boone(Rit)
3.Blankenship(Brax)
4.Watson(Roa)
1.Lowe(Wirt)
2.Loar(St.M)
3.Lee(Rit)
4.Moore(Roa)

February 7, 2003
comments: I don't think McCarty upset anybody last weekend, he has worked his butt off over the summer and may have shocked a few people with the efforts he has made. Saw the kid at camp this summer and both he and his training partner will serve up some more upsets as the season continues. Good kid with a great attitude, keep proving them wrong and we will see you at states.

February 7, 2003
comments: I BELIEVE MORE IN THE MOTHMAN THEN POINT PLEASANT BEATING CALHOUN AT REGIONS OR LET ALONE ANYWHERE

February 7, 2003
comments: region 4
calhoun 1st
roane 2nd
p.p. 3rd
h.h. 4th
calhoun will win the region by 20.
roane will move ahead of h.h. and p.p.
cal-6 champs 103,119,125,145,152,171
roane-2 champs 160,189
p.p.-2 champs 130,140
winfield- 2 champs 112,135

February 7, 2003
comments: Who do you think are the top freshmen to watch for, in the future, in the AA/A? Also, do you think Herbert Hoover has a chance for anyone placing in the states, with 8 freshmen on their team, and 5 wrestling on their varsity squad?

February 7, 2003
comments: Congrats to Jeff Morris for breaking the school pin record with 95 and Eric Metz for getting his 100th career win last night.

February 7, 2003
comments: CONGRATUALTION; Nick Duncan on your 148 high school wins to date GO FOR THE GOLD.

February 7, 2003
rom: dg
comments: Yo, ???? and the Mysterians, I have seen Andy Stewart wrestle and I have seen Shane Smith wrestle. I will bring my dollar if you bring your doughnut to bet on this one.

February 7, 2003
comments: congrats to the PHS team for continuing their domination of teams. i think the new murders row should be hayes shyver and rader or heck..the whole PHS team is a murders row in itself

February 6, 2003
comments: You can not predict the LKCs. These kids come out and wrestle the hardest they have all year. You dont know what will happen, because its the LKCs, but besides that, you cant honestly say that Andy Stewart(Brax) will beat Shane Smith(Will). So if you do Predict the Tourny PLEASE do where it is reasonable ok.

February 6, 2003
comments: who can take your posts
edit them for you
make sure the language is clean
so you dont upset another dude

Doc can, i said the doc man can
the doc man can and he does it with a smile
he lives in region 2

Editor's note:
An angry retort
Can land me in court
So I edit the post
So I don't get sued
By some angry dude

February 6, 2003
comments: Over the last few months I have read with interest the AAA versus A-AA debate. Whether AAA is stronger etc. So I thought I'd do a little homework to see which classification had the most students enrolled. If AAA turned out to have more kids by 2-1, it would make sense that on average, 2/3 of the AAA champions should beat the A-AA champions. If you just want the hype and don't want the bare facts; stop reading here!!! what I found was that according to the WVSSAC website, there are 9210 kids in A, 20,110 kids in AA, and 30,500 kids in AAA (when you add up all the schools). Therefore the total A-AA classification includes 29,320 kids or approximately the same as AAA. So, after all that it makes sense that they should be about equal!!!! One might argue that AAA is better because they generally wrestle better competition and because they are more likely to go to clinics etc. since they may have a tougher time making their squad and there is logic to that. Others might argue that A-AA is better because more kids go out because there is a better chance of making the team and there is logic to that. So, there still is something to argue about; so lets have at it!!!

February 6, 2003
comments: Are the OVAC results correct, looks to me as though Meadowbrooke finished below Cameron, not above as reported in the dual.

February 6, 2003
comments: Hays, shyver, rader, grogg, Knapp, YOUNG, NORMAN, Walters, Pickens, THomas, Dearman are your state champs. 11 out of 14 state champs will come from Wood County. Where is the rest of the State????????

February 6, 2003
comments: Good luck to all the Point wrestlers at the SEOAL Championships!

February 6, 2003
email: debbie_dye3@yahoo.com
comments: There will be an all girls wrestling tournament held March 15th at Wirt County High school. This is open to all girls age 5 through high school. For more information go to www.usgwa.com. If you know any girls who may be interested, please pass this information on.

February 6, 2003
comments: Dear Editor / Doc
I know you're busy with mundane things like removing parts of bodies that may not function as well as they should and spending time with your wife and supporting your local wrestling team but could I suggest you relook the UHS Team and what it has done in recent duals and tournaments .
I think you'll agree they should be somewhere near number 8 in both Duals and Individuals !!!
PS I have an ache in my left knee suffered while wrestling back in the 60's ...could you take a look at it !!! Thanks Doc , we all appreciate what you do for us real lovers of the Sport !!!
Editor's note: (smile)...

February 6, 2003
comments: To: Big South Fan
In the future, please do not make excuses for people who have lost for South, or for that matter any other team. It only makes the situation worse when you try to put the blame for losing on something that the wrestler has no control over. That is what makes wrestling special as opposed to team sports...if you win you get the glory, but if you lose then you have no one to blame but yourself and it's a very humbling experience. Mayle and Pickens are both very talented wrestlers, but I would put my money on Mayle this year, it's his time.

February 6, 2003
I generally enjoy the forum and think you do a great job. However, I was wondering if you could add a "subject" or "RE:'" blank to fill in on each submission as it is too hard to follow over a season in the current format and I end up reading a bunch of stuff that I would otherwise skip over. This is how it is done in most other wrestling forums where similar posts are kept together.
Thanks.
Editor's note: Thanks for the input. I have a bunch on my plate right now, but will see if we can come up with some improvements....

February 6, 2003
comments: Way to go Bishop from Hoover! You did wonderful last night, keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 6, 2003
comments: i have a feeling no one in the state has seen cody potts at 189. he lost like 4-2 LAST YEAR to Ronnie Hebrock in wrestle offs. this year he is much better. i just dont want anyone to be too surprised to see him win it all this year.

February 6, 2003
comments: Has anyone ever heard of a wrestler by the name of Jeffrey Cumpston? Well let me fill you in: In peewees, he was a 3 time national champion and a runner-up! He is back from a 2 year broken arm injury and is still tearin it up out there! He is at 145 right now; a little heavy, but still able. Just look for him to be a power house at states this year, you maybe amazed!

February 6, 2003
comments: Just to let you all know, Cameron just snatched the OVAC "A" division title in duals again! By the way, has anyone got accurate heavyweight predictions for states this year? Maybe you should keep your eyes on Cameron at states this year!

February 6, 2003
comments: How can anybody pick Carrico to beat Smith this weekend Smith has already pinned him once. And also only lost to Burge by one point 3-2.

February 6, 2003
comments: The latest rankings are crazy. McCarty of Lewis County just upset both the Braxton County and Keyser wrestlers this past weekend at the Viking Smash. Also Freda of Lewis County is very tough at heavyweight too. He has only two losses and both are to AAA heavyweights.

February 6, 2003
comments: How could anyone even consider leaving Brandon Rader out of your predictions . He is without a doubt the best wrestler in the entire state hands down....no question.

February 6, 2003
comments: It's gettin close guys, time for all of you hopefulls to buckle down and prepare to get the job done. good luck to the ones who deserve it. LOVE IT!!!

February 6, 2003
comments: My son was a member of the 1999-2000 East Fairmont team dubbed the Murders Row. The lineup actually consisted of six wrestlers: Aaron Futten-145; Shane Eakle-152; Jeff Noechel-160; Matt Miller-171; Matt Sternthal-189; and Chris Satterfield-215. They were given this name by their (then) assistant coach, Brad Petracca, who was also their junior high coach. It was a great lineup, but let's not take anything away from the current Murders Row of Blane Mayle, Ben Geary and Brandon Geary. I have known these three young men since their early pee wee wrestling days and they have paid their dues and deserve the name of Murders Row. I wish each of these fine wrestlers good luck in the NCAC tournament this week end and at states. All three are capable of winning state titles. Also good luck to the entire East Fairmont wrestling team. East Fairmont wrestling has come a long way in a short period of time and I am proud that Aaron was a part of its growth for four years.
Editor's note: Well said, Mr Futten. We will consider your fine remarks the last word on this topic....

February 6, 2003
comments: Here's some Coalfield Conference picks:
1st Rash- Indy
2nd Lester- Shady
1st Neal- Shady
2nd Bostic- Woodrow
1st Snuffer- Indy
2nd Kessecker- Nicholas
1st Vance- Greenbrier East
2nd Harvey- Shady
1st Scarbro- Shady
2nd Griffin- Nicholas
1st Chapman- Shady
2nd McQuillen- Woodrow
1st Wilson- Woodrow
2nd Garland- Oak Hill
1st Boyden- Woodrow
2nd Meadows- Shady
1st Evans- Woodrow
2nd Boone- Greenbrier West
1st Keiper- Nicholas
2nd Thomas- Woodrow
1st Carrico- Liberty
2nd Smith- Greenbrier West
1st Ward- Indy
2nd Tincher- Greenbrier West
1st Bryant- Nicholas
2nd Mullen- Richwood
1st Burns- Greenbrier East
2nd Crookshanks- Greenbrier West

Team finish
1. Woodrow Wilson
2. Shady Spring
3. Greenbrier West
4. Independence
5. Greenbrier East
6. Nicholas County
7. Liberty
8. Webster County
9. Wyoming East
10. Oak Hill
11. Midland Trail
12. Richwood
13. Fayetteville
14. Westside
15. Meadow Bridge
16. Big Creek

February 6, 2003
comments: the NCAA division II regional is at West Liberty on I think February 21,22, 23

February 6, 2003
comments: You know i think all these Polls and Rankings make up just about the finest outhouse wall paper i have ever seen.

February 6, 2003
comments: Good luck at the Coalfield Conference this weekend to the Flying Eagle wrestlers and Coach Sarrett. NOW IS THE TIME TO SHOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE MADE OF! The team is almost intact for the first time this year and should be ready to rock and roll! The addition of Justin Boyden and Jay Thomas will make a great difference in team scoring the rest of the season and it will start this weekend. Flying Eagle lineup for this weekend is:
Ryan Bostic-112
Sean Meade-119
Garland Ward-125
Justin Wharton-130
Joe McQuillen-135
Tyler Wilson-140
Justin Boyden-145
Josh Evans-152
Jay Thomas-160
Carl Spriggs-171
Nick Llado- 215
Justin Rodgers-275

February 6, 2003
comments: hey Big South Fan , i like you optimisim , but I don't think things are going to work out quite how you call them ... I suppose we'll see soon enough

February 6, 2003
comments: 1st	Gungle                  Cal
2nd	Judd Billings           Rav
3rd	Kenny Sasser		Roa
4th	Cody Bartrug		StM

1st	Matt Morris		Brax
2nd	Jaron Sampson		Cal
3rd	Jessie Mahan		Clay
4th	J. Davis		Roa

1st	James Adams             Brax
2nd	Daniel Allen		Wirt
3rd	Jesse Biddle		Will
4th	Andrew Cummings		Cal

1st	Justin Ashley		Cal
2nd	Casey Biddle		Will
3rd	Brandon Digman		Brax
4th	Coleman Price		Clay

1st	Timmy McCoy		Wirt
2nd	Anthony Dimarco		Will
3rd	AJ Burks		Brax
4th	David Stutler		Clay

1st	Jordan Flynt		Brax
2nd     Lobis                   Rit
3rd	Jeremy Smith		Wirt
4th	Justin Price		Cal

1st	Lance Hines             Brax

1st	Eric Metz		Cal
2nd	Jeremy Wince		Rit
3rd	Dustin Miller		Wirt
4th	Sam Dennis		Rav

1st	Jeff Morris		Cal
2nd	Alan Tracewell		Will
3rd	Dylan Hashman		StM
4th	Brandon Dye		Wirt

1st	Andy Stewart		Brax
2nd	Shane Smith		Will
3rd	Corey Burgess		Roa
4th	Joey Adkins		Clay

1st	Ray Burge		Cal
2nd	Chris Miller		Wirt
3rd	Patrick O'Malley	Brax
4th	Sam Craddock		Roa

1st	Dwayne Freeland		Roa
2nd	Lee Lauderman		Will
3rd	Jeremy Lott		Wirt
4th	Brad Swiger		Rit

1st	Pete Hashman   		Stm
2nd     Charles Blankenship	Brax	
3rd	Travis Boone		Rit
4th	Greg Watson		Roa

1st	Jacob Lowe		Wirt
2nd	Bobby Loar		StM
3rd	John Lee		Rit
4th	John Moore		Roa
The way i see it braxton places 9 , 5 champions 1 runner up and 3 third place winners. Calhoun places 8 , also 5 champions maybe a runner up and 2 third or fourth places. Williamstown places 7 and well who really cares where they place. I honestly think with all spots filled for braxton they will hold there own . well except for 103 and heavy weight being vacant. good luck guys.

February 6, 2003
comments: Predictions for 145 A/AA:
1. Kevin Efaw (Grafton)
2. Eric Metz (Calhoun)
3. Steve Flowers (Oak Glen)
4. Chuck Meadows (Shady Springs)
5. Jared Miller (Greenbrier West)
6. Dustin Miller (Wirt County)

February 6, 2003
comments: The article in the Times-West Virginian refered to East Fairmont's Mayle and the Geary twins as "Murders Row". Not to take anything away from these three talented wrestlers, but East Fairmont's REAL "Murders Row" was several years ago when they had Futten (145), Eakle (152), Noechel (160), Miller (171),and Satterfield (215). That year these five guys were amazing.....just ask anyone who wrestled them.

February 6, 2003
comments: Here are my predictions:

Team Scores:
154 Calhoun
143 Wirt
132 Braxton
116 Williamstown
92 Roane
91 St. Marys
73 Ritchie
48 Clay
39 Ravenswood

1st	Judd Billings		Rav**
2nd	Bryan Gungle		Cal
3rd	Kenny Sasser		Roa
4th	Cody Bartrug		StM

1st	Matt Morris		Brax
2nd	Jaron Sampson		Cal
3rd	Jessie Mahan		Clay
4th	J. Davis		Roa

1st	Dustin Bartrug		StM
2nd	Daniel Allen		Wirt
3rd	Jesse Biddle		Will
4th	Andrew Cummings		Cal

1st	Justin Ashley		Cal
2nd	Casey Biddle		Will
3rd	Brandon Digman		Brax
4th	Coleman Price		Clay

1st	Timmy McCoy		Wirt
2nd	Anthony Dimarco		Will
3rd	AJ Burks		Brax
4th	David Stutler		Clay

1st	Joey Lobis		Rit
2nd	Jordan Flynt		Brax
3rd	Jeremy Smith		Wirt
4th	Justin Price		Cal

1st	Matt Dye		Wirt
2nd	Paul Goodrich		Cal
3rd	Ryan Elder		Will
4th	Lance Hines		Brax

1st	Eric Metz		Cal
2nd	Jeremy Wince		Rit
3rd	Dustin Miller		Wirt
4th	Sam Dennis		Rav

1st	Jeff Morris		Cal
2nd	Alan Tracewell		Will
3rd	Dylan Hashman		StM
4th	Brandon Dye		Wirt

1st	Shane Smith		Will
2nd	Andy Stewart		Brax
3rd	Corey Burgess		Roa
4th	Joey Adkins		Clay

1st	Ray Burge		Cal
2nd	Chris Miller		Wirt
3rd	Patrick O'Malley	Brax
4th	Sam Craddock		Roa

1st	Dwayne Freeland		Roa
2nd	Lee Lauderman		Will
3rd	Jeremy Lott		Wirt
4th	Brad Swiger		Rit

1st	Pete Hashman		Stm
2nd	Travis Boone		Rit
3rd	Charles Blankenship	Brax
4th	Greg Watson		Roa

1st	Jacob Lowe		Wirt
2nd	Bobby Loar		StM
3rd	John Lee		Rit
4th	John Moore		Roa

** hasn't wrestled lately

February 6, 2003
comments: My sons wrestled for years and I would like to go to some college wrestling tournaments around but and not able to find any..can you help me

February 6, 2003
comments: The mysterious man strikes again, well i ll give some one credit flynt did get beat at the viking smash 8-3 , which really a take down and some back points could have been a different match. Thats ok one more shot at regionals. I just want to say good luck to braxton this weekend at LKC. should have a pretty good turn out cause all braxtons wrestlers are back. And they have some good talent. Morris at 112 Sr. only, Adams at 119 Soph., Flynt at 135 Jr. Hines at 140 or 145 not sure Jr. , Stewart at 160 Sr. , O'Malley at 171 Soph., Tanner at 189, are just some names you should look out for not to mention other members who im not real familiar with. Until the next time.............................

February 6, 2003
comments: I think you have your 171 and 189 state champs mixed up because Blane Mayle wrestles 171 and he'll still win states. at 189 it will be between Andrew Starsick and Ben Geary...most likely Starsick will come out on top

February 6, 2003
comments: Not sure what Boyden is wrestling, but Thomas is at 160 right now.

February 6, 2003
comments: To 40 Security envelopes: you skipped 145 which should feature Seth Young and Daran Hays witch Seth has already beat him once and should beat him again. At 152 it should be Cody Norman and Danny Lord i think Cody could beat him but it probably will be Danny it will be a good match. At 160 it will be Kyle Walters and Chris Gibbs Kyle has lost to Chris twice but one was right after football season when he wasn't in shape yet and one at the wsaz where he defaulted because he hurt his ankle. I think it will be a lot different in state with Kyle coming out on top. And at 171 it should be Blane Mayle and Bryce Pickens. Bryce lost to him at the wsaz it was a close match but Blane came out on top. But Bryce was nursing back from a little back injury. At the state I see Bryce winning by a close decision.

February 6, 2003
comments: To Pirate man
Look at 112 in AAA region 1. Wanna talk about a tough weight to qualify for states in. you have the top 4 kids in the state all in that region. As matter of fact look at the AAA rankings and look at how many region 1 kids are ranked in the top 8. Most weight classes have 4, and some have 5 region 1 kids ranked. I know rankings don't mean crap, but it gives you an idea of how tough the region is.

February 6, 2003
comments: good luck to my cousin Jeff at the regionals, i reckon he'll win it all hes realy good and i lik to watch him wrastle.

February 6, 2003
comments: did dennis and wince wrestle?

February 6, 2003
comments: Have people's opinions of the 189pd wrestlers (a/aa) changed since last weekend? Is Clark favored by more people than Efaw now? I notice the polls haven't been updated since before Viking Smash, so I'll just get an overview on the forum...

February 6, 2003
comments: Did anyone else notice that none of the people in "time will tell's" predictions actually exsist?

February 6, 2003
comments: Was wondering if any of you statisticians have looked at the AAA Coaches Poll and seen how dominated it is by the wrestlers from Region #1. Out of 112 wrestlers listed, 54 come from Region #1, 25 from Region #2, 16 from Region #3 and 17 from Region #4. With the exception of the 198 and HWT classes, 2 of the top 4 in each weight class are from Region #1. In 5 different weight classes, 5 of the top 8 wrestlers are from Region #1(112, 119, 125, 130 & 145) In 5 other weight classes, 4 of the top 8 are from Region #1(103, 135, 152, 171 & 189. Not trying to start a controversy or get things stirring, but maybe it's time to look at a realignment to even things up. Just a thought.

February 6, 2003
comments: To buccaneer parent: i have to agree with you on saying miller noechel and satterfield as being the best trio from east. you cant forget to mention sternthal at 189 too. he placed 3rd his jr year and had a bad tourny his sr year after being ranked number 1 for a while. thomas moved up to 189 and starsick and marks were always in his class. when teams wrestled east in a dual they knew that had no chance to win after the 171 weight class and the 152 and 160 were the geary twin so east upper weight classes have some champion calliber wrestlers

February 6, 2003
comments: Elson from Cameron pinned Gessler from Tyler twice. Might be something to look at for rankings.

February 6, 2003
comments: Tim Cumpston is the man. He's winning it all this year at 103!

February 6, 2003
comments: Sorry, throw in Starsick at 189, and Hayes in at 145, and Lord in at 152, and Gibbs at 160, and Mayle at 171....that's how the state champs will go this year....maybe dearman will win at HWT, I haven't made up my mind yet, but for now, my money is on Dillworth. I think Shyver will win state again this year. Just on how his scores are against pretty much the same people he wrestled last year. Seems to me like he's gotten better. Turnbull's score against the south kid was impressive, so i'm sticking him in the finals with shyver. I don't think south will win again this year. They don't have enough. I see this being PHS's year.

February 6, 2003
comments: Does anyone have full predictions for Coalfield Conference?

February 6, 2003
comments: www.wrestlingpic.com check out photos of Greg Jones WVU wrestling at the NWCA All Star Classic.

February 6, 2003
comments: To 40 Security Envelopes?? If you haven't noticed Mayle from East Fairmont wrestles 171, not 189. I think you mean Starsick at 189!!!

February 6, 2003
comments: i am surprised to see the 171 polls turn out the way they did...
you will most likely see rhett northcraft from oak glen in the top 6. just one more wrestler from a great program.

February 6, 2003
comments: To: Buccaneer parent
The Murderer's row in Fairmnt originated at (WEST) Fairmont Senior High School in the mid-late 90s.... Chris Neptune, Ryan Coutney, Andy Wilfong, Rashaad Bates, Jason Parker, John Kruzel... The bees threesome are good, but West's Murderers Row were AWESOME!!!

February 6, 2003
comments: predictions for lkc
103 billings
112 morris
119 bartrug
125 ashley
130 mccoy
135 price
140 hines
145 miller
152 tracewell
160 smith
171schindler
189 lauderman
215 hashman
hwt lowe
just hard to say though

February 6, 2003
comments: From: Ed
To: Whoever commented on AA being "tougher or deeper", whatever you want to call it, than AAA is crazy.

February 6, 2003
comments: Norman will win states this year.

February 6, 2003
comments: To Kevin Efaw (Graftons 145).. i'm so proud of you hunny... keep up the good work.... i'm here to support you through everything that you do. love you!

February 6, 2003
comments: to va:
i wasn't aware of which heavyweight burns faced in his home match, but he did pin adam richardson at wheeling park duals. anyway, based on head-to-head competition, here are my heavyweight predictions (numbers 2 and 3 are interchangeable based on who faces who in semi's)
1. Dilworth
2. Burns
3. Dearman
4. Phalen
5. Bird
6. Richardson

February 6, 2003
comments: hey security 40 guy, do you know something that I dont regarding some of these wt. classes, do you have the right kids?, check 145 on down bud

February 6, 2003
comments: To: Buccaneer Parent
It is an undisputed fact that Miller, Noechel and Satterfield were all fine wrestlers. East Fairmont's "trio" mentioned in this week's paper (Mayle, Geary and Geary) also deserve some recognition for their performances on and off the mat. I don't think it was anyone's intention to down one or the other.

February 6, 2003
comments: LKC is at Wirt County Saturday at 10 a.m.. Teams entered include Wirt, Roane, Braxton, Clay, Ravenswood, Williamstown, Calhoun, Ritchie and St. Marys. Top seeds: Calhoun 4, Braxton 3, Williamstown 2, St. Marys 2, Wirt 1, Roane 1, Ravenswood 1.

February 6, 2003
comments: So Dragon Fan your telling me that Cameron, Williamstown, Point Pleasant are going to beat Calhoun in the state tourny, well i have no reply except for we will see at Huntington!
Good Luck Calhoun and just because everyone is out to get dont let them bother ya, proove them at LKC's this weekend and dont stop there bring the title to Calhoun for the first time ever!

February 6, 2003
comments: HOW about we talk about AAA instead of AA.
EASTER
SHYVER
TURNBULL
GROGG
EASTER
KNAPP
SMITH
GEORGE
LORD
GIBBS
MAYLE
GEARY
GEARY
DEARMEN

February 6, 2003
comments: Good Luck to all the teams that are going into their conferences and Regionals, the next few weeks will be tough and we will get to see some great competition. I would also like to say that so far this year i have seen nothing but great sportsmenship from almost all the teams. I know there will be some HEATED rivalrys in some of the regions. PHS - SOUTH. POINT - CALHOUN. I really believe that these are the biggest rivalys in each AAA and AA. Lets just all wrestle tough and not have any fights.

February 6, 2003
comments: Here's wishing Coach Bartram a speedy return to Beckley's mat room !

February 5, 2003
comments: 2003 State Champions:
103 - EASTER
112 - SHYVER
119 - RADER
125 - GROGG
130 - EASTER
135 - KNAPP
140 - SMITH
152 - HAYES
160 - LORD
171 - GIBBS
189 - MAYLE
215 - THOMAS
275 - DILLWORTH

February 5, 2003
comments: to old golden bear: i honestly dont think brooke will steal anything come feb. maybe top 3 or 4 but not first....we'll see what happens at the regionals...they will either get 2nd or 3rd...depends on south...PHS will take state this year easily

February 5, 2003
comments: to heavyweightfan.....are you serious..do you not think dearman from PHS is not that good? i think he will be in the finals at least. we'll see though....also, to Fan: i think your absolutly right with the 140 predictions...williamson will avenge his early loss to gustines at states, williamson gets better as the year goes along. and one last thing.....shyver or turnbull?? whos gonna take it at state?

February 5, 2003
comments: I think the poster refers to andrew schindler of ravenswood.

February 5, 2003
comments: This is how the 140 poll should round out:
1.Mitch smith-ripley
2.Brian williamson-parkersburg
3.Cody Gustines- Jefferson
4.Jeremy Ray- hunington
5.Dave durbin-brooke
6.Alex lee-John marshall
7.Sean smith-parkersburg south
8.Shawn Moore-East fairmont

February 5, 2003
comments: if AAA doesn't start taking brook serious they could steal the tourney come feb. i am and old oak glen wrestler but brooke not oak glen is the team i am impressed by the most this year good luck brook

February 5, 2003
comments: I would like to see some new predictions for AA states.

February 5, 2003
comments: To any Beckley fans what weight is Boyden and Thomas wrestling?

February 5, 2003
comments: braden shaw from brooke is wrestling 130 and has been there since the wheeling park duels and u have him at 135 on the updated coaches poll i was just letting you know where he is really at thank you

February 5, 2003
comments: also, what region will bridgeport be in? (2?) and does big creek still have a team? no scores from them since the beginning of the year.

February 5, 2003
comments: AAA 130 Brandon Shaw from Brooke won the OVAC I think he will give Easter a good match and it might surprise people to se which one will be on top of the podieum. Either way they are both excellent wrestlers

February 5, 2003
comments: Coalfield Conference is this weekend. I can't wait ! Good luck to all Raleigh County teams. Ya'll have wrestled tough this year. Great job coaching to, Coach Gilson- Indy, Coach Snuffer and Carter- Shady and Coach Daniel- Liberty ! I pick Shady to win it all. Great depth and some big stars ! Here are my picks for each weight class.
103- Turtle Rash- Indy
112- Josh Neal- Shady
119- Brian Snuffer- Indy
125- Anthony Harvey- Shady
130- Derek Scarbro- Shady
135- Justin Chapman- Shady
140- Tyler Wilson- Woodrow
145- Chuck Meadows- Shady
152- Josh Evans- Woodrow
160- Brandon Keiper- Nicholas
171- Buster Carrico- Liberty
189- Robert Ward- Indy
215- Nathan Bryant- Nicholas
275- Pat Burns- G. East

February 5, 2003
comments: Do you really think that Gustine (Codie) might have a shot at Mitch Smith at states? I dont? But who knows? I will rank them at 1&2 for the 140 LB. class AAA. THEY ARE THE TWO YOU HAVE TO BEAT , IF YOU WANT A STATE TITLE AT 140 LBS.

February 5, 2003
comments: i think AA maybe tougher (lets call it "deeper") than AAA this year. You have to consider that AA-A has (assuming gilbert and westside go to a regional tournament)approximately 49, 50 schools. There are only 30 in all of AAA. Doc could u give us a little more information on which regions these new progams will be in (i assume 3, given wyoming and mingo county are both in the reg 3 area. also if any teams from the lower part of the state have scores, could u send them in also. i'm trying to do a overall poll of my own based on criteriums and performance. Would be nice to hear from Wyoming East, Westside, Gilbert,Big Creek, etc.
Thank you.

Editor's note: Have sent out letters of inquiry to some teams. I have shared all the information I have.

February 5, 2003
comments: look out AA/A 171, new wrestler this year, good past, great athlete, comes from a Family of Champions, you'll all be taken by surprise, you'll know who im talking about after LKC's

February 5, 2003
comments: St. Marys placed 3rd in the williamstown rumble. Independence placed 5th. Why is Independence is still ranked over st marys? Greenbrier West also lost to us earlier in the year and they are ranked 6th in the polls. Bartrug now is getting his credit deserved and should be ranked 1st in 119. GO ST. MARYS AND GOOD LUCK AT LKC.

February 5, 2003
comments: to: grb east mom
I was impressed with burns(he is a cool cat & a great wrestler), but that was not Adam Richardson wrestling Heavy against the Greenbrier teams. It was Marty Emerson, and Varney wrestled 215. all wrestled up a weight because Adam hurt his knee at WSAZ, but he should be fine come wednesday. Again, no disrespect or trying to burst bubbles, as Burns & Crookshanks still won convicingly, just clearing this up for future predictions.

February 5, 2003
comments: Congratulations to Greg Jones for defeating No.2 ranked and previously unbeaten Chris Pendleton of Oklahoma St. 7-3 at the NWCA All Star match Monday night. Craig Turnbull of WVU was one of the All Star coaches. Way to go, guys.

February 5, 2003
To: Whom ever:
Looking to find out who is running the tournament that is being held on the 22nd of March in Chester West Virginia. Can you please e-mail me back with the info?
My e-mail address is perkwrestling@comcast.net
Thank you
Jim Ward

February 5, 2003
comments: I see Hedgesville still isn't in the top 10 ....you are just making these kids more determined...watch out at regions and state...they will surprise all of u...and Danny Lord will win..

February 5, 2003
comments: Look for Brad Swiger 189 AA-A to place in the top 6 at states!!!!!!

February 5, 2003
comments: here are my predictions for the AAA heavyweight state championships:
1. Dilworth - BU
2. Burns - GE
3. Bird - Mar
4. Dearman - PHS
5. Phalen - Rip
6. Howard - SV
not to offend anyone, but i've seen all these guys wrestle. i wrestled against 4 of them in years past. i just call it as i see it.

February 5, 2003
comments: Just like to congratulate the eagles on their domination of the CVAL. The eagles looked sharp in this and need to keep working honing their skills for regionals. A number of wrestlers have a shot at going to states but can't just count on their seeds at regionals. Yeah things look good but only constant hard work will get you to your goals. Like to say welcome back to Josh Grim who went undefeated at the CVAL can't wait to see how you do at regionals in a pretty good weight class. Note to the editor I don't see Danny Lords name in your list of undefeated wrestlers on here. I don't have his record here with me but he is undefeated this season. Danny is wrestling very well this year and I believe will repeat as state champion. I see a number of people predicting others in this weight class but the same thing happened last year. Danny I'm sure will go to Huntington focused and ready as he always is. As for him hitting 200 career wins I see that Hedgesville has a notice on here that they are looking for teams to add on as a tri or quad. If this has not been taken care of yet I say call the Hagerstown teams (South or North) or Walkersville. These teams are right down the road about 15 minutes, if that, and I don't believe any of them would have a problem adding us to the schedule. Frankly with Walkersville ranked #1 in the Herald Mail Area and the eagles matching up well on paper against them I don't see any reason why something can't be setup with them. Seek good competition to prepare for regionals and states. Weak competition gets no one ready and only leads to complacency. I know many people in the stands here don't care about team records we want to see good matches and want to see Hedgesville take on the best win or lose. Frankly in my opinion Hedgesville is the #1 team in the Herald mail area but without a match with Walkersville the eagles will never be able to prove it. Hope this gets my point across. Kill multiple birds with one stone add on a local match with the so called top team in the area and this helps prepare the team for regionals. I don't see a downpoint to this. Anyway let me get off my soapbox on this issue. Want to congratulate Danny on breaking the WV record for career wins and hope to see him become the first WV wrestler to post 200 wins. Like to wish good luck to the eagles on their upcoming matches and want to say keep up the hard work. Right now regionals appears to be up to East Fairmont and then North Marion with Jefferson and Hedgesville rounding out the top four but who knows with continued hard work and good competition and good preparation there could be a surprise. Remember a couple years ago when Hedgesville won regionals no one out there gave them a chance or was talking about them coming in. Again hard work can make a big difference. Anyway good luck.

February 5, 2003
comments: I think the hardest weight class in any region in the state is 189 region 2 AA.
Josh Clark (BS)- 2X Regional Champ, 3X state qualifier, 2X state place winner (3rd, 5th)
Trampus Efaw (Graf)- Regional Champ, 3X state qualifier, 2X state place winner (2nd, 4th)
Joey Moore (SH)- Region 3 runner-up, one match from placing at states.
Brad Swiger (Rit)- Region 3 runner-up
Jeremy Lott (Wirt)- solid wrestler, good showings at several tournaments.
Glenn Tanner (Brax)- State Qualifier
Phillip Peer (Fra)- State Qualifier
Daugherty (Pet)- Beat Tanner and Peer at Braxton 16
Jason Sell (Key)- Wrestled 2 point match with Daugherty

February 5, 2003
comments: which teams will be at the LKC and when does wrestling start?

February 5, 2003
comments: Once again Greg Jones pulled off another victory for the Mountaineers! He defended second-ranked Chris Pendleton of Oklahoma State, 7-3, in Delaware at the NWCA All-Star Classic. Can't wait to see him in Nationals with his 19-0 record so far this season! Everyone should try to go out and watch the Mounties take on the Hokies from VT this Sunday (Feb. 9) at 1pm at the WVU Coliseum. CONGRATS Greg and good luck through the rest of the season...knew you could do it!

February 5, 2003
comments: I recently read an article in the Times West Virginian, that the Geary brothers, and Mayle make the best trio of wrestling that East has ever had. Those young men are very talented and are very good but I, myself, tend to disagree a little. I always thought the murderer's row for East was Matt Miller 171, Jeff Noechel 215 and Chris Satterfield 275. Those young men were very skilled and also had tougher weight classes at the time Miller had Courtney and Thomas, Noechel had McCartney and a couple and Satterfield had Wellman, Morrison, and McCourt if i remember correctly but I just thought I would put my input on the matter.

February 5, 2003
comments: State Qualifiers from Calhoun and Point:
Bryan Gungle(Cal) (1)
Cody Pumphrey(Point) (1) *
Jaron Sampson(Cal) (2)
Andrew Cummings(Cal) (3)
Justin Ashley(Cal) (4) *
McCarty(Point) (2)
Jason McCoy(Point) (3) *
Nick Russell(Point) (4) *
Justin Price(Cal) (5)
Nick Duncan(Point) (5) *
Paul Goodrich(Cal) (6)
Eric Metz(Cal) (7) *
Jesse Nott(Point) (6)
Jeff Morris(Cal) (8) *
David Bonecutter (Point) (7)
Damon Merola(Cal) (9)
Ray Burge(Cal) (10) *
Jacob Carr(Point) (8)
NONE
Dan Tench(Point) (9)
HWT
Heath Shirley(Point) (10)

* Regional Champ *
The way i see it it is Calhoun (10) Point (10). Not 12-10 like someone posted earlier. Calhoun (4) Point (4) in the Regional Champ department. I could be wrong but that is my guess. But unlike some other people i think this region is more than a two team race. Calhoun and Point could keep knocking each other off and Roane County could (not likely) but could slip ahead with (9) state qualifiers and (2) Regional champs. Also Herbert Hoover not to far back. Something to think about. Here is how i see it going:

1st and 2nd will be seperated by around 10 pts. If that.
1. Calhoun County(10) (4)
2. Point Pleasant (10) (4)
3. Roane County (9) (2)
4. Herbert Hoover (9) (2)
5. Winfield (3) (1)
6. Clay County (3) (0)
7. Ravenswood (3) (1)
8. Wahama (2) (0)
9. Webster County (3) (0)
10. Sissonsville (3) (0)
11. Richwood (1) (0)

OW - Either - Winner of the Metz - Nott Match.....it will be the best Final to watch....Metz won the first and only meeting 3-1, with a takedown with about 6 secs. to go.....Match to WATCH!!!

February 5, 2003
email: supergold@kenchertow.com
comments: Iowa visits Penn State Sunday at 1pm.

We are producing the match live on WPSX-TV in Pennsylvania.

We have got FOX Sports Pittsburgh to commit to broadcasting live, so the match will be seen live in millions of homes and throughout most of West Virginia.

I will be doing the color commentary/analysis.

February 5, 2003
comments: I have been watching this sport for years now and just wanted to say that Region 4 has been relatively weak for a while now, but in a few years will be at the top of the chain. The team no one knows about now but soon will rise to a new level is Oak Hill. Their youngsters placed well at the WSAZ. Along with Shady Springs, Independance, West, and several others this region will soon be the one to beat.

February 5, 2003
comments: calhoun will win region IV but will not at states...williamstown will beat them..Oak Glen will beat them, Wirt might beat them, Point might beat them, and Finally CAMERON WILL BEAT THEM!

February 5, 2003
comments: Any predictions on LKCs this weekend? The only one I have is Braxton County should take it all. They are going to have everyone back(from injury) and should be on the top of their game this weekend. I`d just like to see them upset Calhoun and Willamstown!! I think they can if they all wrestle like they have been.

February 5, 2003
comments: to grb east mom your 275 did not beat richardson from cabell midland. richardson didnt even wrestle he was out with an injury.

February 5, 2003
comments: Congratulations East Fairmont Jr. High on your convincing win in the Mason-Dixon Conf.Championships. It capped a great year...undefeated in duals (29-0) 2nd @ Pt Pleasant Pool, 1st @ Tyler Consol Valley Clash, 2nd @ WSAZ's, and your 2nd Mason Dixon Conf. Championship in the last 3 years. Coach Eakle & your 8th graders Jobey Knapton (Undefeated Season) Zack Morton, Zack Eakle, Ashley Ray, Jensen Valentine, Terry Rogers provided great leadership. But don't you worry & for all you that think next year East will be down...Think Again, with 3 6th graders with 3 losses between them, and the Murphy Boys in 7th...They have a strong nucleus coming back...Keep working your season is not over...Congrats & I look to see you all on top again in 2003-4!

February 5, 2003
comments: My AA picks
103-Hundley, Grafton
112- Johnson, Wyoming East
119- Tueful, Liberty
125- Carter, Bishop Donahue
130- Elster, Berkeley Springs
135- McReynolds, Oak Glen
140- Jefferies, Point Pleasant
145- Coleman, Bridgeport
152- Gooden, Clay Battelle
160- Carrion, Magnolia
171- Hernandez, Petersburg
189- Thompson, Wirt
215- Stanley, Cameron
275- Nelson, Winfield
These are just my picks for the year.... let me know what you think... i appreciate feedback

February 5, 2003
comments: Coalfield Conference is this weekend. Us rednecks caint wait ! Goodluck to the Raleigh County boys. Great job coaching this year to : Coach Gilson at Indy, Coach Snuffer and Carter at Shady and Coach Daniel at Liberty, you boys have done Raleigh County PROUD ! Should be a good scrap this year with Shady being my favorite to win it. My individual picks are,
103- Turtle Rash- Indy
112- Josh Neal- Shady
119- Brian Snuffer- Indy
125- Anthony Harvey- Shady
130- Derek Scarbro- Shady
135- Justin Chapman- Shady
140- Tyler Wilson- Woodrow
145- Chuck Meadows- Shady
152- Josh Evans- Woodrow
160- Brandon Keiper- Nicholas
171- Buster Carrico- Liberty
189- Robert Ward- Indy
215- Nathan Bryant- Nicholas
275- Pat Burns- G. East

February 5, 2003
comments: Good luck to all the Ravenswood wrestlers now is the time to step it up and I think that Judd Billings will do so. So everyone better watch out at states.

February 3, 2003
comments: Congrats to joey moore for pinning efaw. I told you that you could do it. We miss ya

February 3, 2003
comments: Just want to congratulate Hedgesville on their CVAL victory this past weekend and to the First place winners,Joe Shetler,Danny Lord,Derrick Young,Mike Mckinney and Joshua Nicolson. A congrats.to those who took 2nd also.The best luck to the Team in the future.

February 3, 2003
comments: 189 lbs predictions
1. Josh Clark, Berkeley Springs
2. Cody Potts, Oak Glen
3. Joey Moore, South Harrison
4. Trampas Efaw, Grafton
5. Chad Tincher, Greenbrier West
6. Robert Ward, Independence
Tough weight class, I think Efaw will win next time he and Moore go at it but I put Moore ahead of him for now. Potts is kinda a question because you can't tell with OG. He hasn't wrestled the other top wrestlers but coming from OG he is probably good.

February 3, 2003
comments: Norman will not beat Bliss, he may beat Lord. My picks, 1.Bliss 2.Lord 3.Norman.

February 3, 2003
comments: i would like to mention that in the A-AA 145lb weight class that miller(wirt) has beaten both meadows(Shady) and miller (GW). he only beat meadows 2-1. but he beat miller(GW) by a convincing margin.

February 3, 2003
comments: The Gustines that lost to Cornecelli at the winners choice was the 152 freshman, Cory. he lost in the last 10 seconds. The Gustines that wrestled Smith is Cody, a junior. I believe that Gustine and Smith will be a good match. I have watched both wrestle for years and respect both wrestlers. I do not believe that there is any jealousy. i really don't think that smith will ever pin gustines. good luck to both smith and gustines at state. gustines beat williamson at the winners choice. How can you put williamson ahead of gustines?

February 3, 2003
comments: alot of things change when its state time,they will be some big upsets

February 3, 2003
comments: crookshanks won over richardson(cm)but P. burns pinned both of them. way to go P!!

February 3, 2003
comments: I think 12 and 10 are optimistic for both teams but I guess we will see at the AA-A Region IV Tournament in Spencer won't we. Both have arguments -- Point Pleasant beat Calhoun 39-36 very early in the season while Calhoun beat Point Pleasant by 63 points at Nitro. It appears the regional is the rubber match doesn't it?

February 3, 2003
comments: is andy stewart making it back for lkc?

February 3, 2003
comments: The AA/A individual poll is a joke. I think it is far off from what will happen at teh state tournament.

February 3, 2003
comments: congrats to Josh Clark of Berkeley Springs for taking first at the Vikings Smash and for his defeat over Trampus Efaw of Grafton who defeated Josh in Cameron earlier in the season. Also to the rest of the wrestlers from Berkeley Springs who placed at the smash, Placing 1st were Jamie Moore 171, Matt Mason 160, and Chris Moore 140. Placing 2nd Randy Waugh at 152, and Placing 4th at 112 Lucas Andrews.

February 3, 2003
email: To Devin Bosley
comments: To my little brother,
Congrats on your 100th win, sorry I wasn't there to see it. Your having a great year, good luck with the rest of the season. I'll be there for regions and states. All you need to do is focus on what you want and I know you will achieve it. Just wanted to say good job and that we are proud of you.

February 3, 2003
comments: How do u rank Lowe from Wirt and Loar from St Mary's over Anderson from Herbert Hoover... Anderson has pinned Lowe twice already...and you have Shirley over him in the regions.. come people open ur eyes...

February 2, 2003
comments: Here is how AAA 152 weight class will go at the state
1 Norman
2 Lord
3 Bliss
4 Evans
5 Meyers
6 Cornecelli

February 2, 2003
comments: Where was Judd Billings this weekend?

February 2, 2003
comments: TO CALHOUN FAN: who said calhoun will send 12 and point 10.....ok thats fine, that is your opinion. and opinions are like butts, everyone has one.....i just have one thing to say WHO WON HEAD TO HEAD??? hmmmm.... THOUGHT SO

February 2, 2003
comments: I was wondering how you determine the top 8 wrestlers on the individual ranking page.. I spoke with the coach in our area and he stated that he had never been approached to complete a coaches ranking sheet. Just who makes these decisions??? The coached, the editor?? and who decides which coaches get to vote???
Editor's note: This year there are two separate polls -- the coaches polls (team and individual) as have been released in years past, and, for the first time this year, the WV-Mat polls. I cannot speak for the coaches as to the mechanism for determining their polls. They have, I believe, a panel of coaches who are consulted. Perhaps if your coach has questions in this regard, they can be addressed at the coaches meeting in Huntington later this month. As for the WV-Mat poll, I, the editor, receive input from sources and take responsibility for the WV-Mat poll.

February 2, 2003
comments: How is Daren Hayes ranked second when he lost just once?

February 2, 2003
comments: Individual A-AA Poll
171 lb class charnoplski from Philip Barbour defeated your #4 from Braxton County and he is not in the poll any where

February 2, 2003
comments: Clark/Efaw/Moore Match
Clark Dec Efaw 13-5
Moore by Fall over Efaw
Clark By Fall over Moore

February 2, 2003
comments: glasseris no longer with the team at Buckhannon

February 2, 2003
comments: To Super Duck:
Calhoun won the Williamstown Rumble by 28.5 over Williamstown -- 192.5 to 164. St. Marys was third with 150. Others were Marietta 134.5; Independence 129, Columbus Eastmoor 122, Bridgeport 50, Hundred 37, Marietta B 19.5; Bishop Donahue 16, St. Albans 13.

Calhoun had five champions -- 125 Justin Ashley (beat Casey Biddle in OT); 135 Justin Price; 145 Eric Metz; 152 Jeff Morris (beat Alan Tracewell in 2OT) and 171 Ray Burge.

Williamstown had two champions -- 140 Ryan Elder and 160 Shane Smith.

Independence had four champions -- 103 Robert Rash; 112 Todd Bragg; 130 Brian Mills and 189 Robert Ward.

Other champions were Dustin Bartrug (119 St. Marys) and two kids from Columbus Eastmoor at 215 and 275.

February 2, 2003
comments: You are right about Porter not wrestling one of the top 3 at 119 in the AA, MY mistake sorry!!

February 2, 2003
comments: A few comments... At Tri-States Stewart beat Mason handily. O'Neil at 125 pinned Northcraft there as well. Check the tourney results from River this weekend and you'll see more Cameron improvement. They will be very tough at states/regional. Yoders at 135 is also a contender for a title. As the only senior on the team, he will be ready because its his last shot. Mark my words.

February 2, 2003
comments: Who won between Richardson (CM)and Crookshanks (GW)at the East duals?

February 2, 2003
comments: my pick for AAA finals this year
103-easter/hayes
112 shyver/turnbull
119 rader/garvin
125 grogg/casto
130 easter/litton
135 knapp/ reynolds
140 smith/williamson
145 young/hayes
152 norman/lord
160 gibbs/walters
171 pickens/mayle
189 geary/starsick
215 thomas/geary
HWT dillworth/dearman

February 2, 2003
comments: Congratulations to Calhoun on the impressive win at the Rumble and to Justin Ashley and Jeff Morris for their impressive wins over Williamstown wrestlers.

February 2, 2003
comments: How did Joey Moore from S.Harrison take 2 at the Viking Smash and Josh Clark take 1 and Trampus Efaw take 3 who lost to who and how???????????????????

comments: Did Moore defeat Efaw at the Smash?
Editor's note: Moore (SH) pins Efaw (G) 1st; Reportedly, this is the same Joey Moore who qualified last year for Calhoun, was one match short of placing at 160, who moved to South Harrison. Grafton summaries have been posted. I note this , as Mr Moore has been overlooked in the polls.....

February 2, 2003
comments: To say Porter has beaten the top three wrestlers in AA at 119 is an inaccurate statement. Porter hasn't wrestled at least one in the top 3 in AA since pee wees and this boy's wrestled high school for the last 3 yrs. Porter is definitely a tough wrestler and probably will crack the top 4 in AAA, but lets not stretch the facts.

February 2, 2003
comments: i think people are losing focus of the big picture. Everyone seems so concerned with the rankings , This guy should be ranked here this guy should be ranked there. I say SO WHAT. The sad thing is the people complaing are Mom's who dont know what there talking about , Matmaid who are in the same boat and Wrestlers who just dont get it. The only ranking i would be concerned with is the one i EARN in Huntington. The only person who decides those is yourself. Who wants to be a paper champion anyways? I wouldnt thats for sure.

February 2, 2003
comments: 103 AA Rash will dominate everyone. Then Gungle then Cumston, then Sasser.

February 2, 2003
comments: i wrestle 13-15 110 and i have met allot of friends at tournaent but a concern of mine having the kids running the clock last week i beat a kid but they had kids running the clock and the started the clock early and i didnt get my point becuz of them so i think we should have adults run the clock so it doesnt have costly things happen

February 2, 2003
comments: Has anyone taken notice of a new face in WV wrestling? Oak Hill placed 3 8th and 9th graders @ wsaz tournament and took 2nd in 9th grade team, and 10th place middle school. This from a 4th year program. On the high school level look for Callahan 112, Willburn 130, Atkinson 135 , Garland 140, and Stafford 160 to qualify for states. These teams are led by former WVU wrestler Joel Harris(remember him from GBR WEST) Look for big things from a former unknown in wrestling.

February 2, 2003
comments: congratulations to wes kimble (125) of petersburg on your first place finish at the viking smash this weekend.. good luck at states... and good luck to all of the other viking wrestlers.. i know a lot of you guys were sick this weekend, heck a couple of teams were sick this weekend, but you did well... congratulations to the three wrestlers who received their 100th wins at the viking smash this weekend, drew myers (135) frankfort, bosley (152) frankfort, and corey kyle (140) keyser, and one question, i saw kyle wrestle the liberty harrison wrestler and pin him in the first period which was his 100th victory, so why did the liberty wrestler get third and kyle get 4th?

February 2, 2003
comments: I don`t understand why everyone is getting mad over the coach`s poll and about some of the predictions. They don`t mean anything if you feel upset about it then why don`t you just go down to states and prove some people wrong. i know i`m going to.

February 2, 2003
comments: Congratulations to Greenbrier West on their victory over Greenbrier East and Cabell-Midland at the East duals on February 1. About the East match-up: on Miller's win over King at 145, Boone's win over Thorne at 152, and Osborne's win at 160 -- WAY TO GO GUYS! Enough said.

February 2, 2003
comments: the A/AA 275 rankings are correct, if not generous.

February 2, 2003
comments: A word of explanation about the Cabell County Championship scores posted in the Middle School / Jr. High section. Many of the kids are listed by the computer as non-scoring wrestlers. This is because in any weight class of 6 or less we wrestled a round robin thus insuring a true second place finisher and hand scored those weights. This also got the kids more matches. These points were added to the ones that were regularly bracketed with 7 or more wrestlers. A complicated format to be sure but one that was the best for a smaller event such as ours with only 4 teams in our county. Thanks to Robert St. Clair who was the tournament director and took care of this complicated scoring and came up with the idea in the first place and to Huntington High School for hosting the tournament. Lastly, to my wrestlers, thanks for all the hard work. We were able to overcome some health issues and hold it together. We have one more week to go - practice on Monday as usual!

February 2, 2003
comments: What happened to Buckhannon Upshur's Aaron Glasser? Is he hurt ?

February 2, 2003
comments: Willamstown Rumble results???

February 2, 2003
comments: While I also think OG will win AA-A, you can't compare the scores of the Brooke Classic to WSAZ because the Classic was a pool tournament and WSAZ was a bracketed tourney. Typically each wrestler gets several more matches in a pool tourney, including those who would be two and out in a bracketed tourney. Thus the much higher scores...

February 2, 2003
Drew Myers of Frankfort beat Jordon Flynt from Braxton by the score of 8-3 in the Viking smash. The 135 pound weight class in AA is a tough class, which has many good wrestlers, which should make for a great showdown at the state tourney.

February 2, 2003
comments: I don't think the state tournament should be seeded. There's too much politics involved in seeding meetings. Besides, I like the idea of a wrestler place in the bracked being determined by his performance at the regionals. It's completely fair to everyone involved. And, like many other people have pointed out, if they're the best in the state then they'll win no matter where they're placed.

February 2, 2003
comments: I NOTICE THAT THERE IS NO CAMERON WRESTLER AT 125 LISTED IN THE POLLS. WRONG! EVEN NORTHCRAFT FROM TYLER CONSOLIDATED IS LISTED AND HAS BEEN BEAT EVERYTIME THIS SEASON BY NOAH O'NEIL AND EVEN ONCE BY BACK-UP JEFF PETTIT. YOU NEED TO RETHINK THIS CLASS AMONG A FEW OTHERS. LIKE 160.

February 2, 2003
comments: Here's wishing good luck to the kids, keeping working hard and you may find the best road to the states, don't get lost along the way and find yourselves on the wrong street. Stay focused, and godspeed.

February 2, 2003
comments: I will beleive that mitch smith will be beat by Gustines when I see it happen all I have seen was Mitch beat him so quit being so jealous of his talent and let him show you what he's got I think Mitch can pin anyone at any time in the match I have seen him do it before it's just when or if he wants to.

February 2, 2003
comments: ok, not to be a critic or anything, but that aa/a wvmat individual pole was the least accurate i've ever seen. at 275, fegal has to be in the top 3.

February 2, 2003
comments: region 1 AAA champion will be lou thomoas by fall

February 2, 2003
comments: Lets compare these scores to see how the team "race" in AA/A will end up...
BROOKE CLASSIC
Canon-McMillan 369
Brooke 364
OAK GLEN 345
East Liverpool 246
EAST FAIRMONT 246
Shaler 225
West Greene 140
Bethlehem Center 115
Fairmont Senior 86
Washington 64

Now lets look at the scores from the WSAZ...
1. Parkersburg South 278.00
2. Huntington 199.50
3. EAST FAIRMONT 182.00
4. Sheldon Clark 162.00
5. Nitro 155.50
6. WILLIAMSTOWN 143.50
7. Shady Springs 99.50
8. POINT PLEASENT 96.00
9. Cabell Midland 93.50
10. ST. MARYS 82.00
11. Woodrow Wilson 80.00
12. INDEPENDENCE 77.50
13. Herbert Hoover 70.50
14. Riverside WV 64.00
15. WIRT 63.50

After seeing these scores, I dont see how ANY AA team is going to be able to keep pace with Oak Glen again this year. Oak Glen beat East Fairmont by nearly 100 points and East Fairmont beat EVERY team that is considered a competitor in AA.

February 1, 2003
comments: I wanna know how u can have a wrong prediction, when HECK, the kids havent even wrestled ya so it might be a right prediction.

February 1, 2003
comments: Congrats goes out to the Milton Middle Team for winning the Cabell County Championship. They won first in 11 out of 15 weight classes. To Nate and Chris you both have wrestled very hard the last three years and it has shown. Congrats to both of you for beening THREE TIME COUNTY CHIMPIONS.

February 1, 2003
I want to send congratulations to Drew Myers and Devin Bosley for there 100th win at the Viking Smash. Lets not stop here lets make Frankfort proud!!!!

February 1, 2003
comments: congratulations to drew myers who beat flynt from braxton county 135. he is going to be state champion this year!! good luck!!

February 1, 2003
comments: Last I heard Cody Potts was wrestling 189 for Oak Glen not Cameron
Editor's note: Ooops...

February 1, 2003
comments: Chad Porter will surprise several people that dosent think that he is in the top 4 at 119. He is a very good wrestler and has turned matches around. He has beaten the top 3 kids in the AA at 119. Lost to Biddle but then came back to beat him 10-1 . Just might see him in the finals at the State Wrestling Tournament

February 1, 2003
comments: the fact that you rank williamstown 2nd and Cameron 4th after knowing cameron beat williamstown the only time they wrestled is pretty lousy.

February 1, 2003
comments: your AA-A rankings are a joke. the people who put these together must have not have watched one match all year. obviously someone from region 3 or 4 put these together. Isaac Stewart wrestles Shane Smith and only loses 3-2 and you put Mason in 2nd over him? Stewart won tri-states,i think mason was in that tourney. Well honestly you left out alot of Cameron wrestlers that will place. also OG should have 13 ranked b/c well you should all know by now OG will place that many. its a downright shame that these polls cant give region 1 the respect it has earned as top dog.anyone remember 2 yrs ago when 10 of the 14 champs in AA were from either cameron (4)or Oak Glen (6). 11 of the 14 were from region 1(Bartrug being the other) .region 1 by far had the most last yr as well. anyone begs to differ, then go ahead and bring your team to st.mary's regional weekend.

February 1, 2003
comments: In response to all of the comments about seeding at the state tournament. Yes, it does need to be seeded. As one poster suggested, the top guy will likely win it whether it is seeded or not. That is true, but how about the other guys? It is not fair for the second best guy to end up 3rd just because he was in the champions' bracket. Also,it is not practical to seed it completely since there are some wrestlers that mostly wrestle people from out of state or don't have many common opponents etc. I YOU had to do the seedings, you would realize how hard this would be to do accurately. My suggestion is to seed the top 4 or 8 (whatever is practical) or so in each weight class and then take the rest and split them up just by their record within the brackets. It wouldn't be perfect but definitely better than what we have now. Just because this is the way we have done it for xxx years is NOT a good reason not to change it. Go South!!!

February 1, 2003
comments: Congragulations Andrew Jackson Middle school for winning the Kanawha County Wrestling championships for the third straight year!!

February 1, 2003
comments: Keep the pill method for the state tournament. It takes the politics out of seeding. Each year the seeding meeting would be a bloodbath. Lots of games are played in those back room seeding meetings. Plus coaches would get no extra money for the hours invested in fighting, stabbing , kicking, pouting and deal making that happens in the meetings. Kids must perform to win, even if it is in the quarter, semi or the finals. One swift drawing or rotation of the pill and it's all over except for the wrestling.

February 1, 2003
comments: I believe that you forgot about derick knapp from parkersburg at 135

February 1, 2003
comments: nobody is going to touch mitch smith this year...it will be williamson(PHS) and smith in the finals again...and for 152 lord/norman in the finals with lord winning..also if gustines lost to cornecelli then how the heck is he gonna beat mitch?

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page