West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February 2004 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 6, 2004
comments: Look people lets quit worrying so much about who should get the credit for East Fairmont wrestlers. Coach Eakles does a fine job with the junior high and true some of these kids came from the pee wee program : but isn't that why they call it a feeder program: Coach Eakle (in newspaper article in the past) has always praised the pee wee program and their coaches and we thank him for that. Sure all coaches have somewhat of their own styles and that might bring up some conflict but people I look at this way. Thru my years of wrestling at high school, college, camps, and instructions clinic all the the moves that was taught to me by excellent teachers some didn't fit my style of wrestling; did that mean that it was wrong not at all because I'm sure the teachers had tremendous sucess in their past with it. Any way it is the kids that should get the credit. Sure the coach demonstrate and urge the kids on but in the end it is the kid that take the advice and then applies it and then only the wrestler decide how far he wants to go or how hard he wants to work. So East Fairmont wrestlers of all ages set your goals, ork hard, and then your wrestling will stand for itself. Listen everyone for myself, EF wrestling is not like other sports but to me it is a family sports. It does my heart good to see any wrestler at EF succeed that what we all want here. Our goal at East Fairmont is to have a sucessful program here and to dominate in the future as Parkersburg and South does now. High school is where all the marbles count anyway isn't it. Good Luck wrestlers and Coaches

February 6, 2004
comments: Just to echo the response from Coach LeMaster to whomever can't understand why some southern teams aren't wrestling up into February: As with all WV teams, we are bound by a certain number of weigh-ins. We, at Spencer, wrestle primarily in tournaments, but we do try to minimize the double elimination, seeded tournaments where some of our young wrestlers may only get two matches and out. Most tournaments we are in are round robin pool-type tournaments such as the one at Point Pleasant. When we do wrestle a dual, we make sure it's a quad to maximize matches without costing us two weigh-ins. We wrestle every week we can from starting date until WSAZ. We've managed to get our kids around 35 matches on average by season's end. This is a respectable number. Heck, our high school team won a state title in '84 and I doubt anybody on the team had more than 40 matches. I think the quality of the competition and the kind of work your particular team puts into their wrestling matters more. Sure we could get more and string it out. We could skip tournaments, not wrestle on some weekends, travel great distances to wrestle quads on school nights. Teams in certain areas may have to wrestle mostly duals, triangulars, or quads because that's the way everyone around them does it. One approach is really not better than the other, but we like what we do. I like the idea of going to some of the tournaments where many of our friends are that will return the trip to our own tournament. It is also a good opportunity to find out how we stack up against other programs when we are right there in the same event together, rather than trying to make comparisons by common opponents. Many of our kids don't just stop wrestling when our season's over. Like alot of others, they pick up with the youth tournament scene. We'd like to wrestle with Oak Glen and some of the other northern teams or the eastern panhandle teams once in awhile. Maybe they feel the same way, but man, it's like going to another state just to hook up somewhere. Folks, it really doesn't matter. We are confident that we are doing right by our kids. I care about our program and our kids and I am willing to defend it. Forgive me for sounding defensive, but I took offense at your post, especially when you suggest that coaches in my area aren't up to par. It's not any of the coaches I've associated with or coached against that you need to be concerned with. The kids in this central WV area are in good hands. Frankly, it's the integrity of the coaches who say their kids have 50 school matches that you might want to question. Though possible, it would still be a pretty good trick with only fourteen weigh-ins to work with. We stand by what we've done and will continue to keep working hard. Good luck to all.

I'd like to wish a special good luck to a former Spencer wrestler, Jesse Jarvis, a sophomore at AAA Martinsburg. I expect you to qualify for the state tournament again this year, pal. I'm proud of you.

February 6, 2004
comments: In West Virginia can wrestlers compete on a middle school team and in open tournaments at the same time? In Ohio many of our elite JR high wrestlers have to choose between the 2 because they are not permitted to take part in open tourneys while their Jr high season is still in progress.

February 6, 2004
comments: To Fan: You asked the price of sessions at the state tourney...I think each session is 5 or 6 dollars and the entire event is $30. (unless inflation hits us there too!).

February 6, 2004
comments: Is there record of such a thing as the most pee wee state titals won in Parkersburg? If so what is it?

February 6, 2004
comments: To: Mr. Funk Nasty (if that is your real name). I don't believe that I said that I was trying to project the scores for the tournament. All I was doing was judging how well each team did in the poll. You can never anticipate how many points will be earned for md, tf and pins. Also you failed to include advancement points in your calculations. I suggest the next time you read the post before you reply. By the way, my figures are correct and will always be done that way.

February 6, 2004
comments: I think anyone who follows this sport closely knows that polls are like ------ bellybuttons? Everybody has one. The final poll will be taken in Huntington in 3 weeks. That's the good part about wrestling.

February 6, 2004
comments: To: Outsider
While it is true the majority of the kids that move on to the Jr. High come from the Pee Wee program it doesn't mean that Coach Eakle is not a good coach. He is a great coach. We hope that the pee wee program can provide a "core group" of wrestlers" for the Jr. High. But in case you didn't know it takes more than just a few wreslers to make a good team. Coach Eakle is super at that. He makes the whole team better. After all, it will take an entire team to win a state title. That is the whole idea behind a "feeder" program it makes the teams at the next level better.

That brings me to my next point...It is irrelevant who teaches the kids hard work, the basics and who carries them on...Those coaches you mentioned in your post only care that EFHS wins a state championship one day. That is our goal, Coach Eakle's goal and Coach Geary, Boyers and Mayles goal.

As far as what he'll do when these wrestler's are gone? He'll win, just as he did before them. The coaches of the Pee Wee program support Shane and his coaches 100%. We are not in it for the thanks or the glory, we are in it for the love of the sport and the kids.

Do me a favor, next time you want to rattle off about our coach or our program please leave us coaches out, because we do not share your opinion.

Good Luck EF Wrestlers at EVERY level for the remainder of the year.

February 6, 2004
comments: Does anyone know when wrestling starts for the MSAC tournament to be held Saturday at Cabell Midland?

February 6, 2004
comments: To: WHO?
You should check out some other rankings while you are at it. Wrestling USA magazine ranks Kyle Turnball, Mitch Smith And Lou Thomas all #3 in the nation. Also WIN magazine ranks Mitch Smith and Lou Thomas both #2 in the country. Turnball dropped to 4th in that ranking. It all depends on who is doing the rankings. Imagine trying to rank the entire country when people don't seem to even agree on the wrestlers in our own state.

February 6, 2004
comments: To Cannot Understand...

We are bound by WV rules as to how many weigh in points we can use. A dual, tri, or quad counts as one and any event with more than 5 teams counts as two. When you have used all your points you are done for the year (Sounds a little like the old Deal-A-Meal infomercial!) Therefore, if the northern middle schools are continuing into late Feb either they are wrestling lots of duals, tri's and quads or they are ignoring the weigh in point restriction. We in the south could go the dual & tri route as well but that would mean missing out on marquee events such as WSAZ and Tri-State Middle School Championships or else skipping tournaments within our own counties. I know of few coaches that do not use their full allotment of weigh in points. I for one would love to have a few more! many of the kids we get are green as grass and have never been on the mat and just about the time they start to "get it" the season is over. Most of my wrestlers (Milton) wrestled right at 40 matches this season in tournaments. If you go the quad route exclusively you could wrestle 14 quads x 3 matches each or 52 matches total. We are not willing to skip the big tournaments for 10-12 more matches in quads and duals. hope this explains it.
JL/MMS
Editor's note: I almost replied to the post to which this refers myself. I know many coaches would gladly wrestle later into the year. The limit on weigh-ins is one factor. Another factor is that school coaches are sometimes (often) limited in their schedule by local school policy. The coach answers to the AD who answers to the principal who answers to the Supt who answers to the BOE, and, the reality is, sometimes coaches have restrictions put on their scheduling and travel which is completely beyond their control.

February 6, 2004
comments: Here's the deal with O'Neil, he weighed in at 125 and wrestled 130...by weighing in only one weight class above 119 he may still wrestle 119 at regionals, and still plans to as far as I know. If O'Neil WERE to go to 125, I'd assume we'd see Antill at 119 and Hughes at 130 which may actually be a better line-up. Only time will tell, however.

February 6, 2004
comments: My son Mackenzie Peters was honored last Wednesday night by being voted "Outstanding Wrestler" at the 43rd Wood County Wrestling Championship. We are very thankful and would like to take a moment to credit other wrestlers who were just as courageous, talented and exemplary.

Jared Searls (Point Pleasant) a returning county champion from last year and has not been defeated by a West Virginia wrestler. Jared won his second straight Wood County Championship. Adam Metz (Edison) an accomplished peewee wrestler who we have watched excel in the pee wee league and did not get to show his talent because he received a forfeit in the finals. Logan Martin (Ripley) who won his straight second county championship and has not been defeated by an in-state wrestler. Logan is what I call a blue-collar wrestler; he comes to work and gets the job done. Jake Baldwin (Edison) unseeded wrestler who defeated the number 3, number 2 and number 1 seeds to win his bracket and win his second straight Wood County Championship. Cody MacIver (Williamstown) in his second year of wrestling Cody was seeded number 1 in his weight class and lost a very close battle to Jake. Cody Miracle (Blennerhassett) a number 3 seed who fought his way up through the bracket to win his weight class. Cody is another talented wrestler that I watched come up through the Wood County Pee Wee league. Matt Littleton (Wirt) a strong, talented wrestler who will make an impact next year on the varsity team. Matt dominated everyone in his weight class to win the county. Russ Palm (Williamstown) I pulled Russ out of the hallway three years ago to come out for wrestling. He is a smart and talented young man who was seeded third. Went on to defeat the second seed to make to the finals and win. Shane Bailey (Blennerhassett) a strong and dominate figure who could have won just about any division he entered. He defeated last years county champion. Gene Beatty (Edison) could have moved to any weight class and won but stayed and defended his title against Shane. Gene lost a very close and hard fought battle. Matt Rochhold (Van Devender) was able to defeat a strong and very talented "big man" from Point Pleasant.

We have seen all of these young men wrestle over the past years and have developed a close relationship with many of them. We look forward to seeing them continue to excel in this sport. This league is very fortunate to have so many "Outstanding Wrestlers".

February 6, 2004
comments: How many kids from West Virginia are ranked in the top 3 nationally? Oh, that's right, one. Lou Thomas, 2004 Dutton award winner. Thanks for reminding me.
Editor's note: See Amateur Wrestling News High School rankings at http://amateurwrestlingnews.com/rankings/High_school_Ind.htm

February 6, 2004
comments: For those who are trying to do the team ranking from the individuals are not doing it correctly. It is not 8 pts for first to 1 pt for 8th. It is 16 pts for first, 12 pts for second, 9 pts for third, 7 pts for fourth, 5 pts for fifth, 3 pts for sixth, 2 pts for seventh, and 1 pt for 8th. Thank you and have a good day and check out the power rankings that I've posted earlier. The figures are correct and always will be done that way.

February 6, 2004
comments: Does anyone know the ticket prices for the State Tournament sessions?

February 6, 2004
comments: Based on the AAA individual rankings. The power rankings goes like this:

1. Parkersburg South 186
2. Parkersburg       103
3. Wheeling Park      63
4. Huntington         56
5. Brooke             52
6. East Fairmont      43
7. University         39
8. Ripley             30
T9. Jefferson         26
T9. Nitro             26
T11. Buckhannon       25
T11. John Marshall    25
T13. Fairmont Senior  23
T13. Hedgesville      23
15. Morgantown        21
16. Martinsburg       17
17. Riverside         16
T18. Cabell Midland   15
T18. Woodrow Wilson   15
20. North Marion       9
21. Musselman          8
22. Nicholas County    6
23. Robert C. Byrd     4
T24. Hurricane         1
T24. St. Albans        1

February 6, 2004
comments: A_Hero's_Plan, thanks.....I think.
ZenGrappling.com
if you haven't seen the spladle section check it out, lots of mail coming in saying its good....so it must be worth checking out right?
Its under technical discussion on the WV Wrestling section

February 6, 2004
comments: Here is how the AA state tourney would end up acording to the rankings. BY placement points:
1st=16
2nd=12
3rd=9
4th=7
5th=5
6th=3

1st Oak Glen      110
2nd Williamstown   69
3rd Shady Spring   67
4th Calhoun        54
5th Cameron        53
6th Point Pleasant 33
7th Braxton        32
8th Roane          30
9th Independence   28
10th Gr West       26

we will see how close this is!!!!!!

February 6, 2004
comments: Salutations are in effect for Coach Shane Eakle. I have never seen so much charisma and ellegence when a coach is coaching his wrestlers. He is a force to reckon with. Keep up the phenomenal work COACH!!!

February 6, 2004
comments: Someone should prolly learn to spell the word "probably".

February 6, 2004
comments: Congratulations to Liberty Harrison's Christina Adkins, Cam Clutter, and Stave Malutich who made WVMAT.com's academic all-state team with perfect 4.0 averages. 10 of Liberty's 13 starters made the academic honor roll or all-state team on this site. Kudos wrestlers! You are the epitome of student-athletes and your continued improvements both in the classroom and on the mat make Liberty alums proud.

February 6, 2004
comments: Honestly Lloyd, you're about as brilliant as your Hollywood counterpart. You totally missed the point of what he was saying. Nobody said we would beat Oak Glen or that we were better. He is saying that for a team ranked #2 in the state to have 4 wrestlers in the top 6 is ludicrus. The logic for our complaints seems pretty simple, how can you not understand it? A 4th place finisher (Manning) in the state ranked 8th is nonsense. Any wrestler who places in the OVAC(yes, it's MUCH tougher than the State Tournament) warrants a higher ranking than 8 as well. O'Neil (2X place-winner) behind Baker (non-qualifier)? Proposterous! I'm in agreement with my counterpart, if Hughes (who IS one of the best in the state and SHOULD be considered for the Dutton should he win out seeing as he would be a 3X state champion and probably should be 3X already if not for injury...and did anyone see Richey whom Hughes beat defeat Osuno-Cotto?) hadn't already pinned his best competition in state you'd probably have him about 4 or 5.
Editor's note: Just curious, for the purposes of a poll revision. I notice that, according to submitted results, that Noah O'Neil wrestled at 130 on 2/4 against Bealsville and Meadowbrook. I'm not as familiar with the rules as I should be, but does that mean he has re-certified at 125 or 130? And, I'm curious where he will be in the regionals. One of the problems with polls, even at this late date, is that wrestlers still shift around a bit. Looking over the results we have, he has been at 119 most of the year, except for 125 against BU on 12/20. If O'Neil bumps to 125 for the regionals, where does that leave Kelly Hughes? And if he bumps to 130 for the rest of the year, then rankings are difficult for a wrestler in a weight class in which he has not wrestled during the year. I guess we should go ahead and have the state tournament after all to sort this out (smile). Or, were those results in error....

February 6, 2004
comments: Good Luck @ the LKC Tournament to Coach Davis,Coach Laugh and the senior class of Brad Swiger,Travis Boone,Jeremy Wince and freshmen Donovan Suttle,Shawn Robinson,Adam Congdon,Chuck Richards and of course our hard working mat maids...Ashley Hyde,Holly Rucker,Nicki Beck,Dawn Rollins and Becca Bumgardner.

February 6, 2004
comments: Why do they even bring out the polls. All that counts is what happens at states. Everyone that askes why the polls are that way are scared that their gonna get beat or thier not on there cuz they beat one of the guys that is.ALL THAT COUNTS IS THE STATES.

February 6, 2004
comments: FSHS wrestler,I did not say 135 & 160 were a forfeit I said they were not starters.Both guys were out sick and the ones that wrestled were guys with only 3 varsity matches this year. Hey FSHS IS A GOOD TEAM !

February 6, 2004
comments: Wrestling really counts only when you get to high school.So many kids need to try and improve as much as possible with as much mat time as possible for this time. So how come in the southern part of the state they end the middle/jr. high season around the 20th of January? The season is allowed to last untill Feb. 21 but know one goes by this. In the north many people wrestle all year around. In the south we do not even wrestle a full season. Then people wonder how come we get are butts kicked. I say shame on many of the coaches in the south who do not understand the real committment it takes and the time it takes to build a program. If the southern coaches do not have the time for their wrestling programs then you should give it to someone who does.

February 6, 2004
comments: WOW. You guys are the best. I mean you all should be ranked above Oak Glen! Is that what you want to hear? I am just trying to tell you that these are just rankings. Thats all, Rankings. Won year back when I wrestled they had me ranked 4th. I took 5th that year. The guy who was ranked 7th took third. Granted this was in AAA, but this just shows what I am saying. Who cares what your ranked, just go to the state tournament and win every class, then you can throw it all up in my face. But WOW you guys are awesome!!!!

February 6, 2004
comments: So many people complain about the rankings which do not mean anything at all. It is the results that matter. Recently in a local paper a wrestler who had been seeded first at the WSAZ and got beat said " it was a real thrill being seeded first". That pretty much says it all. Who cares about the seedings,just win baby and put the rankings into perspective. Rankings mean nothing, seeding means nothing, standing on top of the podium means everything!!!!Great website and thanks for putting the time into the rankings even if people do not like them and they mean nothing, it gives people something to talk about.

February 6, 2004
comments: Just would like to say that Coach Eakle from East Fairmont is a good coach and a fine person. But on the other hand he has a load of talent to work with. The great kids he has all came from peewee. These kids worked hard and knew wrestling way before they ever stepped on the mat for him. These same kids wrestled all over the country and have faced the best of the best way before coach Eakle got them. The people that made this program are the parents in the stands. People should be thanking Ray Robe, Jimmy Jenkins, Rick Bailey, and Mike Morris.These are the coaches that for years taught these kids the skills and hard work it takes to win. Nothing against coach Eakle but let's see how you fair when you lose this talent pool you have. Any coach can win with great kids but a good coach makes average kids great!

February 6, 2004
comments: to: Gohard winphysical.
Question to you and wrestling coaches and parents of the young wrestlers who are extreme. We have of 16 wrestlers 13 first years. Being Lewis tournament is a qualifier for Ohio Valley tournament of Champions at the same time states in Parkersburg where are the great wrestlers going and is there other qualifiers? Always concerned for the kids. I am new at all this. Please comment anyone.

February 6, 2004
comments: I have attended the Wood County championships for the past several years and had an observation. Since the Wood County rules changed three years ago, allowing 9th graders to wrestle at PHS and South, the level of skill and competition has continued to drop. I know the kids work hard and deserve congratulations for their efforts, but with so much talent moving up to the high school, it seems that even the 9th grade kids were wrestling at or below an 8th grade level. I think alot of these kids are going to be in for a shock when they move up to the high school level at PHS and South. I think it is important for their coaches and parents to get them mentally prepared for the grueling practices and schedules that they will face in the years to come, so that they won't get frustrated or overwhelmed and give up the sport. Just a thought.

February 6, 2004
comments: I just want to wish East Fairmont good luck this weekend at the NCAC tournament. If everyone wrestles to their potential and use a little mental toughness you guys will do fine towards the end of the season. I havent been able to come around lately because of work and school but i wish i could. I also want to say what an excellent job Coach Adam Boyers,Coach Joey Mayle, and Coach John Geary have done, you have a young and the most inexperienced team we have had in a few years but are doing a great job. Keep the tradition going and we will soon rise to the top again.

February 6, 2004
comments: where is golden from univ i have'nt seen him in the last few meets thet had?

February 6, 2004
comments: Great Site Superman... Liked the smurf blurp, Very Humerous. Although some people dont see it that way. Even though they like to degrade others to make themselve's feel like they had a bigger impact, even though it was more like a whisper in the wind and the only wrestling trophey's they have are chipped teeth they keep under there pillow from a state champions crossface (shrugs) for there wrestling career. Cheers to them!

February 6, 2004
comments: FYI - I took last years final individual poll and compared it to the final results. Since only we only place 6 in the tournament I took away 7th and 8th in the polls. I used 6 points for first place, 5 for second, etc.... Here are the results:
School Last Poll Points Tournament Points Difference
Parkersburg High 49 48 -1
Brooke 30 22 -8
Parkersburg South 24 38 14
Ripley 21 21 0
Nitro 20 22 2
Wheeling Park 19 10 -9
Jefferson 18 15 -3
East Fairmont 17 18 1
North Marion 16 13 -3
Huntington 14 14 0
Morgantown 11 12
Hedgesville 9 7 -2
Buckhannon Upshur 8 6 -2
John Marshall 8 7 -1
University 7 14 7
Martinsburg 7 4 -3
Cabell Midland 6 8 2
Elkins 3 3 0
Woodrow Wilson 3 4 1
Greenbrier East 2 0 -2
Nicholas County 1 2 1
Spring Valley 1 4 3
Fairmont Sr 0 1 1
Hurricane 0 1 1

February 6, 2004
comments: Just noticed the Academic awards posted at the top of the board. Congratulations to the All-State academic team and the honors team wrestlers. To be able to compete in your sport and still make the grades is outstanding!!!!!!!!!!
Editor's note: More names will be added in coming weeks as the info comes in...

February 6, 2004
comments: i was at the phs and morgantown match and saw rader's pin. when the hand hit the mat, the clock read 4 seconds

February 6, 2004
comments: MSAC should be a good one as usual, PHS should win, with HHS and Ripley following them.
103-Fraley vs. Phalen
112-Easter vs. Ewing, we'll see how Ewing does against him
119-Hayes vs. Riner
125-Shyver
130-Rader
135-?
140-Mitch
145-Litton vs. Nelson, should be a good match
152-?
160-?
171-?
189-Lindamood vs. Nelson HHS
215-Thomas vs. Hutchinson HHS, prolly be state finals match HWT-Dearman vs. Rowsey or Richards, whoever RVS brings this time.
Dont know whos good at the other weights, you fill in the blanks.

February 6, 2004
comments: Wrestling Fan , you're right Barbour is not in a class with them, he is in his own class. A class much much higher, So high in fact that it would take a powerful telescope to see it, even on a clear night. I mean without clouds or anything you'd still have trouble seeing it. That's how high we're talking here. And Why does everybody think that just because I recognize him as the greatest wrestler in the history of the universe, that I'm friends with the guy? I don't know the guy, I've never met the guy, I've never even seen him wrestle, I don't have a picture of him on the front of my WV wrestling section.......LOL

And Now I'm going to address the most pertinent issue facing the International Wrestling Community.....Rader vs. Smith in a fantasy world where they both weigh the same.

For this match to take place, the laws of physics would have to be altered so that weight is relative. (I'm pretty sure the string theory can compensate for this.) Obviously such a place would not have gravity, since there is a direct coloration between these two components.

So I've gotta go with Rader, his schedule brings him into contact with more diverse competition and I think this alone will prepare him for battle in a Zero G Environment.

ZenGrappling.com

February 6, 2004
comments: In regards to the comments made by SAF about the Junior States 7-8 UNL catagory. Our son may be the one you're talking about being the biggest in the catagory. I take no offense at your comments, in fact I wholeheartedly agree with them. We would have no problem with the UNL catagory being split into Light weight and heavy weight as long as they set no weight limit that would not allow my son to compete at all. I do appreciate the fact that you don't want to put a weight limit, just add another catagory. We believe that all junior wrestlers should have a place at the Junior States. There are plenty of 7-8 year olds over 110 pounds or so that would welcome the challenge, and appreciate not being told that they won unfairly. However, if the divisions are not changed, we hope everyone realizes that we don't make the rules, and that our son deserves to compete as much as any other child out there.

February 6, 2004
comments: Can anyone list the teams that will be wrestling this weekend at the MSAC at Cabel Midland? Editor's note: Check the Conference page

February 6, 2004
comments: When will the 2004 WV State Wrestling Tournament schedule be released?

February 6, 2004
comments: I Think the polls are great. Thanks for the info Doc. I wanted to find out which teams did the best in the polls. I gave 8 points for first, 7 poinst for second place, etc... Here are the totals for AAA:

Parkersburg South 75
Parkersburg 57
Huntington 39
Wheeling Park 35
Brooke 34
East Fairmont 29
University 25
Ripley 21
John Marshall 20
Buckhannon-Upshur 19
Hedgesville 17
Jefferson 17
Nitro 17
Fairmont Senior 16
Martinsburg 14
Morgantown 13
Riverside 11
Cabell Midland 10
Woodrow Wilson 10
North Marion 7
Musselman 6
Nicholas County 6
Robert C. Byrd 4
Hurricane 1
St Albans 1

South won because they had someone in every weight but 112.

February 5, 2004
comments: ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!!!
I love to see great wrestlers just as much as the next person... but ENOUGH with the mitch smith and brandon rader stuff.... They are both outstanding wrestlers and congratulate them and stop comparing them to each other... They both have qualities that make them great wrestlers and everyone knows that.. there is no need to compare them unless your going to get to see them wrestle each other and i don't think its happening so just drop it.. no offense to mitch or brandon. you guys are great wrestlers. continue the good work!

February 5, 2004
comments: To : Buddy Love and all of you other complainers. Can't you just wait until the real top six are completed in Huntington? If this is not possible I suggest the following:
1 - Print the list
2 - Take out a crayon
3 - Use crayon to make any adjustments that you want.
Your list is now correct.

February 5, 2004
comments: Personaly i think i would rather PLACE IN STATE, then be RANKED IN STATE. At least you can hear the place.

February 5, 2004
comments: The fact there are two "state" tournaments in WV for our youth wrestlers is not completely a negative. As a parent of a youth wrestler, I relish the idea of a TRUE one stop Championship... No questions asked after who is the best! However, lets not all forget, THESE ARE YOUTH WRESTLERS, and if their heart and mind is in the sport they can't be on the mat enough. My son travels all over WV and PA during the season and all over the east coast in the so called "off season" to get as much mat time and live wrestling as possible. I look at this division as an additional high quality tournament to see some very good kids... all of which you can not see by simply wrestling at one or the other. Maybe the time will come when there is only one TRUE tournament, but until that happens, lets keep these kids on the mat and prepare them for the true goal of winning a High School title and maybe getting a scholarship to wrestle and more importantly an EDUCATION.

February 5, 2004
comments: to the people that complain about the ind. polls. STOP COMPLAINING. The polls are not how a one person did against another person it is how they stack up against all competition. So think before you type in your comments. Wrestling is a season not a single match.

February 5, 2004
comments: Observer wojo was not at the radier cup

February 5, 2004
comments: Hueston Kellar is 95 pounds of pure dynamite.He is learning fast for a freshman and wait till next year when he "grows" to 103!!!

February 5, 2004
comments: To Lloyd Christmas:
All I am saying is how can you only predict that the #2 team in the state can only have 3 wrestlers in the top 6. Who do you actually wrestle in the southern part of the state? no one. Kelly Hughes 9th?? Ha! You must be the person who picked Casey 5th at 152 last year (by the way he won). You dont place at OVAC's by being average. I predict that Hughes beats Digman, Ramsey and Leithead, A. because you didn't see the match with Biddle and B. He was at 130 last yr and he went to state and won some matches. He will not be dominated in region 1 and may even beat Biddle and/or Wright. And I am not biased and neither is Cameron, did you go watch the state tourney last yr and watch all of these kids? yes casey hughes 5th at 152 last yr, wrong... and cameron shall prove wrong once again. by the way, look out isaac stewart is back and will be in the top 2 at whatever class he comes back at.

February 5, 2004
comments: Three cheers for Shane Eakle the coach at East Fairmont Junior High School. Shane has a canny ability to relate to ALL wrestlers. He is a class individual from a fine family in Fairmont. No one, I mean no one will out work Shane Eakle!!! You may beat him, or work as hard as him, but he will not allow anybody to outwork him. He is a leader in the community and a great asset the EFJHS. By the way, if any intelligent, attractive mat maids are interested, Shane is single!!! Keep it up Shane, I'm proud of you, more than I think you realize. If you keep this up 200 wins will blow by quickly.

February 5, 2004
comments: yo Waldo, That is great walters got another pin in less than 30 seconds, but look at the PHS results with Morgantown. Yep thats right, Brandon Rader pinned his kid in 5 seconds! And i heard the ref was slow to get down to call the pin. possibly could have been faster.

February 5, 2004
comments: I SEE ALOT OF POSTS ABOUT WANTING TO SEE THE INDIVIDUAL POLLS, THEN THEY COME OUT, AND PEOPLE GO NUTS BECAUSE THEIR GUYS ARENT RANKED WHAT THEY WANT THEM TO BE. LOOK I FOR ONE THOUGHT THEY WERE PRETTY ACCURATE, THEY DID THE BEST THEY COULD AND PUT ALOT OF TIME INTO IT. SO HOW ABOUT LETS JUST STOP WHINING ABOUT THEM, AND APPRECIATE THAT WE HAVE THEM. BETTER YET, HOW ABOUT WE APPRECIATE THE TIME AND EFFORT THE GUYS PUT INTO THIS WEBSITE BECAUSE IT IS FREAKIN AWESOME. IT WOULD SUCK IF THERE WAS NO WVMAT.COM

February 5, 2004
comments: Looking at the Raider Cup scores and seen that Robert Mullens was the champion at 215. Did he beat Craddock and Wojo or did they not wrestle, it seems to me that if he did then he would be ranked at least in the top 8. I think you should look back over your rankings in 215. There is alot of talent in this class.

February 5, 2004
comments: 171 BB: If theyre so inaccurate, then do them yourself and stop complaining. They are what they are, if you dont like it, then tough!!

February 5, 2004
comments: 1. Anyone know the start time of the MSAC on Sat. @ Cabell Midland?
2. Congrats to PPMS on the Wood County League Championship @ EF on the Mason Dixon Championships.
3. Anyone else notice that Marshall Football signed a Clarion Wrestler to a football scholly that was a 2x high school all american?

February 5, 2004
comments: to region 3 predictors
why do you have rader as low as 3rd and 4th, he has beat llado once or twice with ease. you can expect to see him taking first or second. also, dont be surprised to see bryant take first. he pinned wojo in the second period at east fairmont and only lost to him by 1 at the nitro tourney.

February 5, 2004
comments: To Superman: How can you possibly rank Barbour up there with deWitt Stanley, Anthony Regalbuto Matt Easter and Jason Ward. Barbour was never in the same class with those other wrestlers. All of the others had outsatnding High school carreers. Barbour doesn't even measure up.. Guess he must be a close friend of yours or you don't know alot about the sportto even consider the comparison.

February 5, 2004
comments: How do you have Alex Lee in the top 8 in the 140 class and you don't have Josh Bailey from PHS. Josh Bailey pinned Alex Lee in the dual.

February 5, 2004
comments: South Wrestling Fan: I agree, region 1 is so much harder to qualify in. Plus, the more teams that are in the region, the more better wrestlers. Any other team that wants to join region 1, come on down. In some of the weight classes, the 4th place finisher could easily be in the semi finals or even the finals!! A couple weight classes I'm talking about is 119, turnbull, hayes, humprhy, smith, mccray. All excellent wrestlers, but 1 of them wont get to go. 145 Litton, osuna cotto, richey, cambell. and 189 Tominack, lindamood, ewing, and radcliffe. It's crazy the amount of talent in region 1. I dont want to hear anymore whining.

February 5, 2004
comments: I whole-heartedly agree with the polls! We as fans can not make the observations these coaches are able to! Bravo coaches! BRAVO!

February 5, 2004
comments: The individual polls for the aaa 275 MATT BOSLEY (FS) pined BEN ANDERSON (R) in the winners choice in fairmont how is he ranked ahead of him in the polls. Also Drew Mauck from Fairmont senior is not even on the list at 215 and he beat Kenny Hutchinson from Huntington. I think the polls need revised and reprinted.

February 5, 2004
comments: i think that the wvmat polls are very inaccurate

February 5, 2004
comments: to: region 3 fan jones from riverside is in the 125 weight class he only wrestled the 119 weight class 2 times once at woodro wilson and another at wsaz's my predictions for AAA Region 3 is Cooper - Rip Kesegher - N. C. Jones - Riv Troche - WW but i also think jones could take second place with some hard effort

February 5, 2004
comments: hughes 8th and maybe 9th! scarbro 1st, wright 2nd finished 4th at the OVAC 3rd biddle who pinned hughes 4th digman who won the big 16, calhoun inv. liethead only loss of the season to digman.Ramsey from calhoun lost to liethead 8-4,biddle 17-10,pinned miller from sm 3 times and hughes beat miller 21-17 he also pinned grilli he is 30-10 going into the lkc with AAA loses to cooper,dixon,allen 2, kesecker and him split.only 2 people in his weight class has beaten him biddle, liethead! so why don't you watch the states and let the coaches do the rankings!

February 5, 2004
comments: Every year on here someone whines about the number of teams in AAA region 1 and how much easier it is to qualify a large number of wrestlers.According to the individual poll,11 of the top 14 wrestlers are from region 1 and the other 3 weight classes they are second.Out of the top 56,32 of them are in region 1.And you all think it's easy....give me a break!

February 5, 2004
comments: mauck isn't in the poll????he got 3rd at winners choice...and...lowe beat nicholson 6-5...he also was at 5-3 with mauck until 10 seconds left with some awkward kind of throw and ended up on his back...anyways...back to mauck....he beat hutchinson 3-1...but lost to anderson....this class is to hard to figure out...

February 5, 2004
comments: What happened to isaac stewart from cameron? did he get hurt or somethin?

February 5, 2004
comments: I THINK MITCH SMITH IS THE BEST WRESTLER IN THE STATE, I THINK HE COULD BEAT ANYONE, HAVING THE MOST TROUBLE WITH LOU THOMAS AND BRANDON RADER. BUT PRETTY SURE HE COULD BEAT ANYONE ELSE EVEN DEARMAN. ALSO HES IS A BIG 140 POUNDER, HIS LEGS ARE ENORMOUS, THATS WHY NOONE CAN TAKE HIM DOWN. AND IN HIS MATCH VS. SHAUN SMITH. MITCH WAS DOWN AND SHAUN PICKED HIM UP ALMOST EVERYTIME, LOOKED LIKE IT TOOK ALOT OUT OF HIM. SO NEXT TIME SHAUN, JUST LET LET HIM UP.

February 5, 2004
comments: To Cameron Fan: I am so sick of your complaining. That is all I ever hear from "Dragon Fans". "We are so underrated" . Who cares about the rankings? I mean really, there just predictions. Its not like you get an award for it or anything. I think that you all think the whole state is against you. It is simple not the case. We don't care. I promise you that. It is not a big conspiracy against you all. Ha Ha I mean come on man.

February 5, 2004
comments: Can anyone explain the point system used for the state tournament? Just in a nutshell. thanks
Editor's note: It's scored like any other wrestling tournament, and there is a summary of tournament scoring on the Overview of rules page.

February 5, 2004
comments: Went to the Wood Cty wrestling championships last night. Saw a lot of good matches. One question, was Nic Busch sick or some thing at 84#? He was supposed to be in the finals against Metz from Edison and Metz got off with a forfeit. Too bad, hope he isn't injured or hasn't done anything to keep him from missing anymore tournaments. If he is sick, too bad, I know how much those jr hi cty matches mean to those kids, he'll never be able to make that one up. Good luck to all the south side teams in their quest to being a PSHS Patriot!

February 5, 2004
comments: Congratulations to coach Shane Eakle. He reminds me alot of Superman... He is just an unstoppable force. KUDOS go out to Coach Eakle.

February 5, 2004
comments: Congrlations to Jacob McCoy for his 100th win as a Junior. Keep it up.

February 5, 2004
comments: How is it that McCoy Hoovers 189 is raked 3rd? he beat Ward from Indepence. Ward beat Mccoy 2 times earlier in the year, but mccoy is starting to Peak. Mccoy beat ward more recently to win the WSAZ's, the only points he gave up was a couple escapes. Please let me know thanks.

February 5, 2004
comments: Congratulations Fairmont Sr. on your BIG win over cross-town rival East Fairmont. You guys sucked it up with-out your 125 pounder. That shows a lot in a team when you can suck it up when your with-out a starter. Alot of times teams can't pull together with out a varsity member but you guys proved me wrong.

February 5, 2004
comments: i would like to say congrats to the wv coaches' association and wvmat.com. i think you did an excellent job on the individual rankings. i think they will prove to be pretty accurate.

February 5, 2004
comments: i really cant see the justification in ranking a returning 4th (Manning) 8th, a two time placer (O'neil) 7th, considering Baker who is 3rd has never placed in states, Hughes 8th at 125 (Come on his only loss in the AA class was to Biddle and he placed in the OVAC which only 3 guys from Cameron did. Cooper wont end up 8th either. I'm really surprised Casey Hughes wasn't ranked 7th or something ridiculous. The coaches should do more homework on who has beat who and actually go out and watch some of these kids wrestle before you have them go and vote on a poll. Of course everybody will disagree on these polls somewhere, but these kids will end up higher than the coaches think.

February 5, 2004
comments: Congradulations to Point Pleasant Middle School for winning the Wood County Jr. High Championships. You guys have done so well this year and you really deserve it.(I do believe they are the first non Wood county team to win) Great Job to Jared Searls, Tre Pyles, Anthony Jeffers, and Orville Workman for all taking home first! A special shout-out to Matt McConihay(4th-95)....I'm so proud of you!!Great job to all the other boys that placed, and wrestled. Looking forward to seeing you 8th graders wrestle in high school next year, and the 6th and 7th graders developing even more. Remember to listen to Coach, and keep up with your school work. Wonderful Job!!!!

February 5, 2004
comments: there is alot of talk about changes in the jr. states with 9th. graders, weight classes etc. what about the age of wrestlers in a division. I attended last yr. and asked around with some of the winners and i found 75% of the ones i talked to were older than their age bracket. how about your age as of the day of the tourny as opposed to 2months prior. if a child is thirteen he has wrestled in middle school, jr. high all season and should wrestle in 13-15 division and not drop down in 11-12 division to wrestle with elementary children. I think that the parents of these kids are chasing trophys for them and it is unfair for the other kids.

February 5, 2004
comments: People always say how this guy beat this guy...so he could be the guy that lost to the guy...right? The thing you have to realize is the fact that different styles tend to produce different results. It is not really fair, but about 80% of wrestling is all about how your style matches up with the style of the guy across the mat from you.

February 5, 2004
comments: The only way to have a truee pee-wee state tournament is to have 4 or so separate region qualifiers and have the tournament rotated each year by region. This is the only compromise that could happen

February 5, 2004
comments: hopefully, there will be another coaches poll after the regional tournament. i know this is an inexact science, but this poll seems way off. one team that comes to mind has been sold down the river on this one, another team i can think of came out with a metric ton of mediocre wrestlers on the list. just my thoughts, not blaming anyone in particular, just hoping for another coaches poll.
Editor's note: Well, don't be bashful...tell us who you think should be ranked who is not on the list. This year we are trying a collaborative effort between the coaches and WV-Mat to come up with polls. The agreement that we (editors) have with the coaches is that if something on the poll isn't right, we will blame the coaches and the coaches will blame us. (smile).

Seriously, we want to do this right. We understand that wrestlers who put a lot of sweat into this sport deserve some recognition and should get it. I'm not looking for an argument. Just let me know if there is some result that has been overlooked.

February 5, 2004
comments: i would like to comment on your individual rankings you seem to have left George Young (140) out of the rankings what is up with that he was tied with justin price of calhoun 2-2 in the big 16 before having to quit with an injured back. Then the following week while still being hurt he only lost to RCB by 1 point and you have him ranked 6 AAA.

then you have Josh Harris 5th at 215 what is up with that he has pinned craddock in the 2nd period and then wrestled him at roane county and was winning 7-2 when he got rolled and unfortunately got pinned.

Just because these two wrestlers are from little ol webster county doesnt mean that they cant wrestle with the best dont be suprised if you see Harris on top of the podium come saturday night with Cody Potts below him

February 5, 2004
comments: According to the coaches individual AAA poll, here is how the rankings total up based on placement points.
RANK SCHOOL POINTS
1 Parkersburg South Total 123
2 Parkersburg Total 103
3 Wheeling Park Total 63
4 Huntington Total 56
5 Brooke Total 52
6 East Fairmont Total 43
7 University Total 39
8 Ripley Total 30
9 Jefferson Total 26
9 Nitro Total 26
11 John Marshall Total 25
12 Buckhannon-Upshur Total 24
13 Fairmont Senior Total 23
13 Hedgesville Total 23
15 Morgantown Total 21
16 Martinsburg Total 17
17 Riverside Total 16
18 Cabell Midland Total 15
18 Woodrow Wilson Total 15
20 North Marion Total 9
21 Musselman Total 8
22 Nicholas County Total 6
23 Robert C. Byrd Total 4
24 Buckhannon Total 1
24 Hurricane Total 1
24 St Albans Total 1

February 5, 2004
comments: Congratulations Jacob McCoy. 189 Herbert Hoover, on your 100th career win. I know you have worked hard for this. Good luck on getting that 150th next year.

February 5, 2004
comments: Congratulations Jacob McCoy. 189 Herbert Hoover, on your 100th career win. I know you have worked hard for this. Good luck on getting that 150th next year.

February 5, 2004
comments: from I-B-OLD to CrossfaceU Parkersburg started the youth state tourn. back in the 70's. They went thru the hard times,developed, perfected & have run the youth state championship for a long time. No one wanted anything to do with it for many years,now everyone wants to have one. Why should they give it up? How do you know they would still want to do it 10 yrs. from now? The high school tourn. is 3 days, that's not conv. for some. Tuff.

February 5, 2004
comments: I can't wait until the state tournament to see the true results of the individual standings in AA/A. Obiviously some coaches have been asleep this year....

February 5, 2004
comments: are there gonna be any cancellations in meets for friday and saturday due to inclement weather. where can i find out about that?

February 5, 2004
comments: I would like to see individual rankings. The season is almost over.

February 5, 2004
comments: I KNOW THE RANKINGS JUST CAME OUT BUT RICHEY AT 145 SHOULD BE AT 2 NOW, HE JUST BEAT OSUNA COTTO LAST NIGHT 4-2. GOOD JOB THOUGH WITH THE RANKINGS, WE ALL APPRECIATE YOUR ALLS HARD WORK!!

February 5, 2004
comments: lowe beat nicholson 10-3. check the results at the fairmont tournament.

February 5, 2004
comments: Looking at the Indv Polls. Not seeing Mauck even near the bottom is strange. he beat Hutchinson who is 2nd. Took Anderson to the wire in his 3rd time steping on a mat in 2 weeks. Beat Boone from Ritchie.

February 5, 2004
comments: um.. there are 5 kids ranked for 119 AAA , whos not gonna make it?

February 5, 2004
comments: I would like to make a few comments about the County Wrestling matches held over the last two days at P.H.S.. First and foremost, congrats to all of the Jr. High wrestlers that participated. It was two days of pure excitement regardless of win or lose. There is quite an array of talent out there. It takes a lot of courage to do this sport anyway, so good job to those participants. Second, kudos to those that placed first. What a display of excellent wrestling!

Along with all of the good things that have happened this year there are some bad. I would like to point out a few. This whole year in the Jr. High League has been a mass chaotic mess. Starting with the scheduling of the dual matches on school nights. To many dual matches trying to be squeezed into one evening and the kids are up way to late, i.e. the duals at Blennerhasset. Bringing the East Fairmont team in to wrestle, ...three matches in one night and that meant wrestling until at least 10:00p.m. with a 2 hour trip back home. There also were three matches scheduled on the same night South wrestled. Don't you think that these Jr. High kids would like to watch there future high school?

Concerning the County Champ matches: The first night the kids were there until 10:30, the second night it was 11:00. Pretty late night for these kids. The medals that the kids received had the wrong weights on them and were scratched up.

As for the MVP, congrats to Peters on receiving it. I thought for sure Baldwin from Edison would receive it. He wasn't even in the top four wrestlers but pinned his way to the finals and during that match he was behind until the third period and got a reversal with back points to win 9-6. My vote goes to Baldwin(even though it doesn't count). I thought he deserved it. From nothing to #1 is a pretty valuable thing to him. Well thanks for letting me vent. Let's hope some lessons are learned from this year and lets do it FOR THE KIDS next year. Good Luck to all of the wrestlers going on.

February 5, 2004
comments: Congrats to the best wrestler in AAA, Kyle Walters, on another 1st period pin under 30 seconds.

February 5, 2004
comments: To: Iron
Yes, Mitch Smith beat Chinn 4-1 in Fargo in 2002.

February 5, 2004
Sorry about the mistake...you're right,it was Adam not Luke Frey. I had a brain freeze! No I did not go to the Beast, but I ordered the video from the website. Check it out...www.beastwrestling.com. The video has highlights and all finals. I heard that Coleman Scott has committed to Oklahoma State.

February 5, 2004
comments: Youth Tournament Comments.
This is to comment back at all the negative comments given to the youth tournament. I am a father of 5 and also help coach the kids. I have an 8 yr old that is doing well this year. Just to put things in prospective in three years he has only wrestled 29 matches and finally has started winning matches almost pinning the herbert hoover kid. The kids he wrestles and now can win already have nearly 50 matches in half a year. That should tell you how new we are. The coaching is great but due to lack of experience it may be a couple of years before we put on a "great" tournament. It is nice some of us didnt have to drive forever to get to one. We have some things we seriously need to work on and some people expressed that to us with great integrity and understanding. Yet some with crass jestures and vulgarity. Let me ask you this especially the commentors. Have you ever spent hours making programs, hauling mats from various points, purchasing consessins, getting sponsors, doing call ins, buying trophies, finding people to help, and on and on. Yes we made mistakes and please comment in a positive mannor. Also we cant be judged with the other tournaments like Parkersburg, Clarksburg, etc. We are new. Try praying for the next one we do. Can you remember if you ever had to start a program, the time when there was minimal support from the schools and community. Remember when you had no mat to practice on. Lacked sponsors. Probably dont remember. Never been there. About the trophies. Never once heard a kid complain about a trophy unless brought up not to accept things as given. Very destructive to children. I compared a second place my boy received last year with his third this year and the third was bigger. Sorry dad but we will try better and deffinetly give 4th place next year. Try mail in guys. Makes all tournaments go so much easier and besides it hold yourself accountable. We all have things we need to work thru.

February 5, 2004
comments: man how bout 215?? Mauck loses to anderson,beats boone,hutchinson and nicholson...nicholson lost to lowe by a point,lost to mauck and boone...anderson beats mauck by a point, loses to lowe in OT,davis goes 3 periods with thomas, beats anderson....this class is to wobbly...it seems like anyone could beat anyone in this class...except thomas of course...anyone agree...and also there is hercules,bennett, wojo,bryant,and others...

February 5, 2004
comments: here are some predictions for AAA region 3 based on what i have seen and what i have looked at on the score page on here.
103-Phalen-Rip., Hall-Riv., Greene-G.E., Ward-R.C.B.
112-Villafanna-Rip., Carter-Riv., Woodall-B.U., Pennington-Elk.
119-Meade-W.W., Ward-B.U., Ranson-Rip., Cano-R.C.B.
125-Cooper-Rip., Kesegher-N.C., Troche-W.W., Jones-Riv.
130-Ward-B.U., Wharton-W.W., Kurnot-Rip., Aquino-N.C.
135-Evans-W.W., Coutz-Riv., Myers-Rip., Childers-N.C.
140-Smith-Rip., Kinser-Riv., McQuillen-W.W., Mayer-R.C.B.
145-DeMastes-B.U., Lowery-Riv., Wilson-W.W., Bowden-R.C.B.
152-Thomas-W.W., Madia-R.C.B., Stover-Rip., Williams-Riv.
160-Rexroad-B.U., Troche-W.W., Johnson-R.C.B., Sizemore-Riv.
171-Antoine-W.W., Burns-G.E., Lowery-Riv., Rulison-Elk.
189-Hambrick-G.E., Weaver-Rip., Llado-W.W., Rader-N.C.
215-Wojo-Riv., Bryant-N.C., Bennett-G.E., Nelson-R.C.B.
275-Richards-Riv., Anderson-Rip., Bostic-N.C., Boucher-G.E.
Teams Places
1. Ripley
2. Riverside
3. Woodrow Wilson
4. Buckhannon-Upsher
5. Robert C. Byrd
6. Nicholas County
7. Greenbrier East
8. Elkins
As i said before these are based on what i have seen and what i have read, i am not trying to ofend anyone this is just my predictions.

February 5, 2004
comments: Instead of having two W.V. youth state tournaments why dont we have one true "State Tournament"? Wheeling puts on a great tournament and is good location for this event. Parkersburg and Cameron is always at the Wheeling Tournament and it would not be much of a drive for Fairmont,Morgantown,etc.... With Cabella's going to Wheeling there will be alot more restruants and hotels to accomidate this type of event. Just an idea!

February 5, 2004
comments: //From: Ex -WV wrestler
//comments: I would like to say that the only people the //word "Parkersburg" scares is your average high school //wrestler. I as an above average wrestler and the rest of the //above average wrestlers that I have seen and know, come //through the state could care less about that name. So go ahead //and believe your name scares people, just the wrong people.
re: Ex -WV wrestler
I remember while in youth wrestling, many times standing over by the brackets on the wall at tournaments...checking them out...and hearing people talking to each other.....the wrestlers saying "you have to wrestle a cougar"....or a parent talking to another one saying "he has to wrestle a cougar"(refering to the P-burg YMCA Cougar team). Just having to wrestle someone from a certain team can in itself provoke some fear or anxiety in a wrestler. It just depends. Im sure it is not as much on the high school level. But Im also certain that it is true...to some extent.

February 5, 2004
comments: re: Spadle is junk?
I thought i read someones post stating that. I recall one time Mark Samples came down during his senior yr of high school to work out. I caught him in a spadle and took him to his back....for a few seconds at least :P He was a pretty good wrestler. I have always liked a spadle. It is not going to get you a pin. But it can get you a takedown and...if you are lucky a few back points.

February 5, 2004
comments: I checked out Superman's HALL OF LEGENDS,

A few comments:

1)Billy Barbour as Number One, not surprising...Hilarious Post to SpiderMan by the way... "Alien Colonies on the Moon"....LOL!

2) Awesome art work in the background, really cool, even if you prefer Batman

3) Very Inspiring "blurbs" about the 4 real legends. Well Written, Very Cool. I saw that Ward DQ..... I agree, just weird. I wonder what he called the Refs Mom to prompt that.

4) While I was on your site, I checked out Your "Moment of Zen" on the front page. Very Very Very Funny. I think I've met that Sleet guy. LOL

Summary: Great Site, very cool.

February 5, 2004
comments: to yea: of the 10 matches wrestled East won 5 and West won 5... Where was Knapton and Moore for East... "yea" you all won but take a look. Same with Huntington there legit. Where were you all at winners choice??

February 5, 2004
comments: I would like to congratulate East Fairmont Jr High School Coach Shane Eakle on his 100th DUALS WIN occurring Monday evening, 02/02/04, at the Fairmont/Marion City/County Championship hosted by Mannington Middle School. Under his guidance and encouragement, the Hornets outscored Miller 84-6 and Mannington 61-21 in team scoring while placing ELEVEN 1st place finishers. Additionally, Coach Eakle guided his team to finish #1 at the Mason Dixon Conference Championship held at Buckhannon High School Saturday, 01/31/04, placing FIVE 1st place finishers, THREE 2nd place finishers, THREE 3rd place finishers, and THREE 4th place finishers for a grand total of FOURTEEN top finishers in a field of 11 teams. As a team, EFJHS accumulated 217.5 points with second place Mannington garnering 124 points, Cameron 104, BU 101, RLB 91, CL 85, TCMS 78, SM 72, Westwood 47, Miller 36, and CP 30. I commend him for the discipline and sportsmanship he imparts to the young men and women who venture into the gym and onto the mat, with the majority of these children wearing headgear and hitting the mats for the very first time this very season. Coach Eakle gives his time, his knowledge, his home, and his heart to all those who are willing to work toward success. As we all know, without heart, a wrestler is nothing. We thank you, Coach, for all you do and for the vision you have of future possibilities for our wrestlers and the many wrestlers yet to come.

February 5, 2004
comments: are all the regional tournaments being held on just the 21st or are some gonna be the 20th/21st

February 5, 2004
comments: to fan about fairmont senior and huntington match; they only forfieted 2 weight classes (103 and heavy) not 135 and 160, also if a team beats u because u can not fill up a roster it does not take away from the teams victory. Huntington won 6 matches four of which were by falls, while FS won 8 matches with only one fall.Fairmont Senior starts five good freshman and 3 very solid sophomores, they will be the team to look out for in the next few years.

February 4, 2004
comments: West Fairmont beat East Fairmont in a duel, 48-24. West Fairmont has won there last 8 duels.

February 4, 2004
comments: To Fan; injury (FSHS has injuries to a couple kids),illness(FSHS has quiet a few with the flu) and scheduling issues (Where the dedication??? their 215lber switched work times so he could be there?)

February 4, 2004
comments: Hey i heard Anderson from Hoover beat Richards from Riverside 3-2, congratulations, Anderson and Richards have had some good battles over the years. and how bout this Anderson is 20-8 this year, and it looks like he is starting to peek, Maybe he can make some noise in the states this year, im not saying he will win it by any means.... BUt lets watch and see

February 4, 2004
comments: As an experienced wrestler, Id like to point this out: I have never been scared of anybody Ive stepped on the mat with. The only thing has ever worried me before a match is if Ive preparred myself well enough. Because I know even if my opponent knows more than me, I know that the moves I do are going to work because Ive put so much time into them. Also Im gonna be in better shape than him because the state tournament is what Ive been preparing for since October. So no wrestler should ever be psyched out by his opponent, he should only be psyched out by himself.

February 4, 2004
comments: TO who ever wrote "just wondering" I dont see how you figure Hoover isn't in the mix for the top 10 .... We have won some pretty tough dules and and the ones we lose are close. Like to Braxton we only lost by two , and Calhoun beat us today (2/4/04) by only 5.Plus the tourneys we go to we always place high and have alot of placers. We also beat Roane and Wirt.
So I hope the editor and I cleared that up for ya.

February 4, 2004
comments: My son wrestle in the youth wrestling Program and has for 4 years, and we always go to the WV Junior States and he is 7-8 years old and weighs about 95 lbs. Well thsi year they have decided to stop the bracket at 80lbs then it goes to the UNL brakcet with the heaviest kid weighing in at 162.6lbs for 7-8 years old I have asked them to add a bracket or split the UNL bracket up to LWH and HW but they will not do it they do not see a SAFETY ISSUE nor FAIRNESS to the other kids. they think its okay for a 82lb boy wrestling a kid that weighs 162.6lbs . Needless to say we will not be going to the States this year because of this. I think its wrong and they need to add a Bracket so that its fair to the LWH kids and that no one gets hurt, but they will not do this they told me to just let my kid FORFEIT the match if he has to wrestle him. WRONG WRONG WRONG I can't believe there is people out there like that, but as you can see there is

February 4, 2004
comments: WJ I kindly thank you for your comments and arguements to my post. I will agree with you on most aspects the problem that I have is I too believed what you stated but according to what I was told by the person that I talked to I was told no high school experince period. Yes I agree that at that age level the competion isn't always that great. Its basically a hit or miss and without identifying who my son is I will say that the last two years when we wrestled that their were ninth graders from high school and Jr highs in our brackets. The point for me was I was going to be taking my two youngest children to the Jr States and since my son was still 15 and will not be 16 till December of 2004. That it would have been fun to see him on the mats with my two younger children. And it would be a capping so to speak of saying its over time to move on to bigger and better things. My two youngest children lookup to their brother with great pride and to have them in same tournament would have been nice. As things are we will have to wait until an open tournament for the passing on of the flame to my younger children. Again thank you for your reply to my question.

February 4, 2004
comments: Thanks Spiderman, Justice League Unites,....was Spiderman in Justice League???

Anyway, Glad you liked the site, those technical pages are pretty time consuming to create ,but I'm going to try and smash a few more into my schedule before the season ends. I'll keep you guys posted.

As for Mike Barbour....never met the guy (lie), I've seen him wrestle and I was impressed with his intensity (truth), plus he's the brother of the greatest wrestler in the history of the planet Earth, or any planet, and all the countries on Earth and in the US and the UK, and Alien Countries, or even like Alien Colonies on distant moons (slight exaggeration).

Regardless, Mike Barbour is a lot tougher than the majority of this forum thinks, and come the state tournament I think that will be pretty obvious (truth).

Oh, Martinsburg on a dry field, no contest (truth).

ZenGrappling.com

February 4, 2004
comments: You asked???? Who is the toughest wrestler that Mitch Smith has wrestled in high school or in the state of West Va. I can answer that ...I would say Codie Gustines , by far. Codie is a awesome wrestler, he carries himself so well. And the Jefferson Junior league "will be" attending the East Fairmont state tournament this year. Not that it is a better tourn. But its hard to get those little ones to do the two day thing At Parkersburg. We are not scared of Parkersburg wrestlers. We will be at East Fairmont, Hope to see some good wrestling there as usual. We will have a few good wrestlers there, upcoming wrestlers you will hear about at Huntington one day. We have finished in the top three, the last three years in the Junior States. Only losing by 3 points last year by a great wrestling team, (East Fairmont Junior league)good luck East Fairmont,and to all those who attend. Every year has been great, looking forward to this year. Good luck to that "Gustine Trio" at Huntington this year...those were some good Junior league wrestlers for Jefferson. GREAT WEBSITE...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL THW WV. WRESTLERS. Go Lil' Jefferson Cougars.

February 4, 2004
comments: Who beat Sean Smith? Moore? I dont know but Sean keeps getting better and better every time I see him wrestle. I think this is his year. Also Coleman Scott is one of the top recruits in the country. He will probably be a true freshman for whatever D 1 school he goes to. Rader not quite on his level yet, but I can see him winning the ironman and beast and powerade next year. And superman, he lost to Adam Frey, not Luke Frey. Did you go to the Beast? How did you see the match if you did not go? I woulda liked to see it, I heard it was a really exciting match that Rader should have won. Also Mitch beat Chinn? Chinn won the beast this year. Both awesome wrestlers, cant wait to see them at state

February 4, 2004
comments: No The viking smash wasn't cancelled. Alot of the teams didn't show up the first day ,but the second day alot of them did. It Turned out great

February 4, 2004
comments: Could someone from Bob Stover (Clay Cty.) tournament please post entire reults from last sat. Oak Hill with 10 freshman and sophmores placing 4th at a tournament with teams the likes of Braxton, Webster Cty., Rithchie, Clay. HMMMMMM?? makes you wonder what the future holds in store.

February 4, 2004
comments: why do you keep predicting sean smith to win 152. there is another great wrestler in that weight and he has beaten smith the only time they wrestled in high school and he is really really quick and a great techinal wresler.

February 4, 2004
comments: Was the Viking Smash cancelled last weekend? I still have yet to see any results or hear anyone even mention it...

February 4, 2004
comments: No argument...Coleman Scott is the best 125 in the country. However, Mike Rowe gave him a good match at the Beast, with Scott winning at the very end with a reversal and 2 back points.

Superman...nice website! I particularly like the technique section. Keep up the good work. Are you friends with Mike Barbour? You must be from Martinsburg...great football team up there! On a dry field, without the quicksand...I mean 6 inches of mud, they win the AAA state championship easily at Wheeling over South. Not to take anything away from South, they have a great football team and took advantage of the conditions.

February 4, 2004
comments: I agree that Brandon Rader is an accomplished wrestler but Coleman Scott from WBurg would be a little too much for Rader....Coleman is the best 125 in the nation

February 4, 2004
comments: to johnnyrotten. Park's HWT, Staub, has beaten Fortney of University.

February 4, 2004
comments: Does anyone have the Seeds to the LKC????

February 4, 2004
comments: With all the recent comparison between Rader and M. Smith Wv high school wrestling fans should step back and realize the amount of talent in Wv this year. Turnbull, Thomas, Easter, Gustines, Tominack, Shyver, Dearman, Litton, Walters, Shane Smith, Casey Hughes and a long list of others should make the end of the year very interesting. I for one can't wait.

February 4, 2004
comments: To the peron who saw Mitch Smith get teched by Tannenbaum check your glasses because Mitch wrestled Tannenbaum in the finals of the Tournament of Champions in 1999 and the final score was 3-0. Mitch has wrestled and won against the following in the last couple of years:
Wesley English IN #1 ranked sophomore at 135
Lionen Sierra NM #5 ranked senior at 140 NM State Champ & CA state Placer
Alex Herrera CA #7 ranked senior at 140 CA State Runner up
Gregg Romano NJ #7 ranked senior at 140 3X NJ Champ now wrestles for Blair
Tim McGoldrick PA #6 ranked junior at 140
Mike Roberts NY #13 ranked senior at 140
Matt Epperly VA #1 ranked sophomore at 140
Nick Blackshaw IL #17 ranked senior at 140
Levi Price IL #18 ranked junior at 140
Trevor Chinn NY #1 ranked senior at 145 NY State Champ
Tyler Sherfey WA #3 ranked senior at 145
Newly McSpadden #8 ranked senior at 145
Marty Engwall IL #12 ranked junior at 145
Also Mitch has won against 152#'s Mike Rogers PA, Mike Pucillo (OH), Shane Vernon (OK) Zach Shanaman (NJ) Matt Coughlin (IN), Neil Erisman KS, Ben Fiacco (GA)
All nationally ranked by USA Wrestling magazine.

February 4, 2004
comments: What's are the hardest AAA weight classes this year, and what are the easiest?

February 4, 2004
comments:
103 - Phalen Rip. Hall - Riverside
112 - Villafana - Rip., Carter - Riverside, Woodall - B-U
119 - Meade - WW, Ward - B-U, Jones - Riverside, Owens - GE,
125 - Cooper - Rip., Kesecker - NC, Troche - WW
130 - Ward - B-U, Kurnot - Rip. Wharton - WW, Smallridge - B-U
135 - Evans - WW, Coutz - Riv.
140 - Kinser - Riv., McQuillen - WW, Moyer - RCB, Rhodes - B-U
145 - Smith - Rip. Demastes - B-U, Wilson - WW, Lowery Riv.
152 - Thomas - WW, Madia - RCB, Lucas - GE, Rader - NC
160 - Rexroad - B-U, Troche - WW, Weaver - Rip., Sizemore - Riv.
171 - Burns - GE, Antoine - WW, Critchfield - B-U, Lowery - Riv.
189 - Hambrick - GE, Llado - WW, Godwin - B-U, Bryant - Riv.
215 - Wojo - Riv., Bennett - GE, Bryant - NC, Lane - B-U
275 - Richards - Riv., Johnson - NC, McCloud - Elk., Miller - B-U

February 4, 2004
comments: I didnt know he got teched by tannenbaum, he got 2nd at sr. nationals and I think he is wrestling at michigan. Also 152 isnt that tough, there are some good guys in it but i think sean smith will win it. 145 I think is the toughest, with 189 being a close 2nd. 189 is a toss up, I think tominack is the favorite here but delligatti, lindamood, ewing, and radcliffe might have something to say about that. Radcliffe and lindamood look very determined this year. radcliffe more since its his last year.

February 4, 2004
comments: To: no life and other Brandon Rader fans I think one of Rader's greatest accomplishments this year happened at the Beast tournament. A week earlier he was teched at the Ironman by Luke Frey of Blair. At the Beast, they both met up again in the finals and Rader only lost 6-5. I saw the match and think it could have very easily have gone Rader's way.
I would like to see Rader wrestle Coleman Scott from Waynesburg.

February 4, 2004
comments: Not saying he deserves or doesn't deserve to win it, but I think Casey Hughes should at least get some consideration for the Dutton Award. He will be a 3 timer too should he win at Huntington. Not putting down the other candidates because they are all GREAT wrestlers and if one of them win, which they probably will (Thomas, Smith,etc..), it will be a great testiment to their commitment to the sport. Just saying Casey has done some great things in his career as well .

February 4, 2004
comments: cody potts lost to jordan sweany of beth center at the brooke classic in the finals

February 4, 2004
comments: Potts lost in the finals of the Brooke Classic to a PA wrestler - can't remember the school. I believe the score was 6-1...

February 4, 2004
comments: I THINK THIS MAY BE THE MOST EXCITING STATE TOURNAMENT THIS YEAR, ALL THE WEIGHT CLASSES HAVE OUTSTANDING WRESTLERS IN THEM. A FEW ARE TOUGHER THAN OTHERS BUT LOOK FOR ALOT OF CLOSE MATCHES AND LESS PINS THIS YEAR. ALSO FOR REGION 2, 3, AND 4, CHAMPIONS. WATCH OUT FOR THE REGION 1 4TH PLACE FINISHERS BECAUSE THERE COULD EASILY BE AN UPSET OF A NUMBER 1 ON THURSDAY NIGHT. ALSO, CAN YOU APPEAL THE PILL RULE AND TRY TO SWITCH IT TO A SEEDED TOURNAMENT? LIKE THEY DID WITH THE SUPER 6 FOOTBALL THIS YEAR. I KNOW DIFFERENT SITUATIONS THERE BUT JUST WONDERING.

February 4, 2004
comments: here are some region 3 predictions. they're not very conclusive, as i've been out of wrestling for a number of years, am not familiar with some of the teams, and haven't seen any of these wrestlers in action. i do have head-to-head and common opponent results from this website to go by, so here's my best shot at it:

103 - Hall - Riverside, the only 103 i could find on any team's roster
112 - Villafana - Rip., Carter - Riverside, Woodall - B-U
119 - Ward - B-U, Jones - Riverside, Owens - GE, Masters - Elkins
125 - Cooper - Rip., Meade - WW, Kesecker - NC, Troche - WW
130 - Wharton - WW, Smallridge - B-U, Casto - NC, Hicks - Riv.
135 - Ward - B-U, Kurnot - Rip., Evans - WW, Coutz - Riv.
140 - Kinser - Riv., McQuillen - WW, Moyer - RCB, Rhodes - B-U
145 - Smith - Rip. Demastes - B-U, Lowry - Riv., Wilson - WW
152 - Thomas - WW, Madia - RCB, Lucas - GE, Rader - NC 160 - Rexroad - B-U, Troche - WW, Weaver - Rip., Sizemore - Riv.
171 - Burns - GE, Antoine - WW, Critchfield - B-U, Lowery - Riv.
189 - Hambrick - GE, Llado - WW, Godwin - B-U, Bryant - Riv.
215 - Wojo - Riv., Bennett - GE, Bryant - NC, Lane - B-U
275 - Richards - Riv., Johnson - NC, McCloud - Elk., Miller - B-U
Sorry if it's no good, this is the best I can do with the knowledge I have.

February 4, 2004
comments: Doc - Thanks for taking the time to explain the Coaches' rankings, it's all clear as mud now. :) It does make sense that the most recent performances are what's taken into consideration. I did learn one thing by reading your who-beat-whom scenarios...high school wrestlers are an unpredictable lot. Guess that's what makes this sport so exciting!!
Editor's note: Well, I must confess, I did have my tongue somewhat implanted in my cheek when I "explained" that. Thanks for being understanding (smile)....

February 4, 2004
comments: BigDaddy, I always thought that any freshman who falls within the age class 13-15 and has not wrestled a varsity match, including exhibition matches, is allowed to compete at Junior States. My opinion, however, is that a freshman is still a varsity wrestler, and because he practices with the varsity team everyday he should be more physical, more intense, etc. He has basically been put through the same system as a senior preparing for competition at that varsity level. It should be generally agreed that a freshman on the varsity team exposed to that kind of grind every day is better prepared than even a 9th grader in the Jr. high school practice room. I know there are exceptions with respect to number of years experience and so forth, but generally speaking, he's a varsity wrestler, plain and simple. While I'm giving my opinion, I don't think varsity freshman teams should be in the WSAZ either. If you think about it, it would be like letting a varsity team into a JV tournament. Remember, too, that at these youth tournaments you could be matched up with what amounts to little kids in comparison. Nonetheless, if they are allowed to enter and that's what you want to do, go on. From a middle school perspective, the jr. high (7-9) setup is not that great to contend with either. When the SSAC allowed us to use our 6th graders it was a little boost for middle schools- at least we, too, could get a kid for three years in our program. Then the jr. highs started questioning- hey, can't we bring up our 6th graders from the elementary schools. It's an uphill battle against those that have not yet gone to the middle school concept, let alone having to deal with varsity freshmen wanting to get in. I know there aren't that many opportunities for a freshman who can't crack the line-up, so I don't know what they're to do. I am glad that the middle schools are able to shine recently. Is it conceivable that a non-Wood County Middle School could be the champions of the Wood County Jr. High League?
Priceless.

February 4, 2004
comments: Mitch was tech falled before...i saw him get teched at Tournament of Champions in Ohio. he got teched by Eric Tannenbaum, so yes, even the great wrestlers get teched

February 4, 2004
comments: here is a list of some of the individuals Brandon Rader has defeated in his last three years of HS.
Justin Staylor, ranked #23 overall,#11 SR, StaTE CHAMP, AA
Drew Headlee, PA state champ,AA, starts for Pitt at 125.
Casey Staylor, cadet AA, #20 ranked JR USA
Ashtin Primus, Ranked #10 overall in US, #2 soph.
Mark Throckmorton, ranked #23 overall and #10 ranked SR
Clayton Stark, OH state runner up, #18 ranked SR
BJ Compton, 3x State Champ, #29 ranked overall, #15 SR
Nick Bridge, cadet AA, ranked #29 overall, #16 SR
Sean Nemec, # 30 overall, #4 sophmore
Jake Kyle, #6 ranked sophmore in USA
Kyle Turnbull, 4 times in 2002
**Rankings are from Wrestling USA Magazine

February 4, 2004
comments: Looking at scores and noticed Cody Potts had one loss on his record could someone tell me who that is too.

February 4, 2004
comments: I believe that last years 140 was pretty tough. Mitch, Gustines, Williamson, Ray. 4 quality guys right there. And 1 of them almost beat mitch. But last year 112 was by far the toughest weight class.

February 4, 2004
comments: if anybody wants to see a good 152 A/AA come to the LKC's the weekend in Ritchie County. I think that Miller might surprise alot of people!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2004
comments: Rat fan in Huntington: The South/Mcguffy,PA match starts at 1:00 pm Saturday 2/7. South will recognize their seniors at 12:45 prior to the match.Travel safe.

February 4, 2004
comments: Who is the best wrestler that Mitch Smith has defeated in High School??

February 4, 2004
comments: To:br
Thanks for the detailed comparison between Parkersburg's Youth State Championships and the "other" youth state championship being held in East Fairmont this year. I'm curious why the state of WV has two separate tournaments of this caliber. Why not have one tournament in a central location, i.e. Clarksburg, Fairmont, etc. If the eastern panhandle teams can travel to this area, then why not the wood county teams...How can one say that the Parkersburg tournament is the "true" state championship when you don't have all of the best youth wrestlers attending. I agree that the Wood county teams have very good youth programs, however, I believe some of teams, especially Jefferson and East Fairmont could certainly hold their own. Another option would be to have qualifying tournaments from each region and the top 3 or 4 would move on to the state youth finals...similar to high school.

February 4, 2004
comments: Jr States in Parkrsburg is a good tourney. The names to watch are Kyle Neely at 7-8 60 lbs from Cameron, there are a couple boys in that bracket to watch from cameron Yoders and Hall are surprising at times Taylor Neely at 100lbs from Cameron is taking it to them this year. Tanner Whyte 85 lbs 11-12 is on his game too. David Schielper is pretty tough. All I have to say is watch out when these boys get to senior high Cameron will be unstopable.

February 4, 2004
comments: in my opion 152 and 130 are probably the hardest weight classes in aaa this year a good example is region 2 152 has Moore from east fairmont, Foltz from hedgesville, Gustines from jefferson, and Jarvis from martinsburg,and in region 1 u have Smith from PS Adkins from JM, Brooke University, and Dowler from PHS and weight class 130 in region 2 has Lodge from noth marion , Smith from jefferson , Henry from martinsburg , Grim from hedgesville, and . Michalski-Fairmont Sr. but look at other kids in that weight u have Rader from PHS who will win it Durbin from BRK, Brewster from University, and Dunn from PS this weight class is tough but Rader will walk away with it with ease. that is the 2 hardest weight classes in my opion feel free to comment on them and say what weight u think is tougher

February 4, 2004
comments: Do any of my fellow Northern Rats know the starting time of the Mcguffy/ South match this Saturaday?

February 4, 2004
comments: Rader and Mitch's weight classes are weak because noone wants to be in the weight class with them!!!!

February 4, 2004
comments: anybody have any predictions for AAA region 3 and who will place in the top 4 and make states.

February 4, 2004
comments: jonny rotten: Scores for R 1
103- Green pin Kellar
112- Rush dec Ewing 7-1
119-Turnbull MD Humphry 13-4
125-Shyver dec McFarland 8-2
130-Rader pin Durbin
135-Shaw dec Porter 9-3
140-Smith dec Miller 5-1
145-Litton dec Richey 8-3
152-Smith dec Adkins 10-4
160-Norman dec Davis 4-2
171-Walters pin Brown
189- Tominack dec Lindamood 5-4
215-Thomas pin Hercules
HWT-Dearman pin Dorton

February 4, 2004
comments: the jr. states at parkersburg is by far the best youth tourny around. does anyone know some young wrestlers to watch there see you up there

February 4, 2004
comments: you can say rader's weight classes were weak. and i think you could go as far as to say mitch smith's weight classes were weak. or maybe it was because rader and smith are just that good. if you take rader and smith out of their weight classes (past and present), are they still weak? i think that's a good question.

February 4, 2004
comments: Yeah OG might indimidate some kids, but I dont think I have ever seen any yellow running down the leg of someone from Cameron or Williamstown when they stepped on the mat against OG.

February 3, 2004
comments: You can say it all you wont but reputations do scare wrestlers. You can see it in AA with Oak Glen, when people see that baby blue and state road yellow, they leave a nice yellow streak down there leg. I have seen alot kids who wrestled Oak Glen wrestlers so pyched out before the match was over. I happens too in AAA with PHS and South but not to the extent it does in AA with Oak Glen.

February 3, 2004
comments: anyone got any predictions for MSAC tourny champs or finalists?

February 3, 2004
comments: Here are my picks for region 1 AAA
1South
2PHS
3Brooke

103 Green WP, KellarPS, Bartolo Univ. Stilgenbauer PHS
112 Rush WP, Ewing PHS, Shaw BRK, Hartle JM
119 Turnbull Univ. Humphry WP, Smith BRK, Hayes PHS
125 Shyver PHS, McFarland BRK, Garvin MGTN, Kelly PS
130 Rader PHS, Durbin BRK, Brewster Univ., DunnPS
135 Shaw BRK, PorterPS, Gerismovich MGTN, Ice PHS
140 Smith PS,Miller Univ., Lee JM, Bailey PHS,
145 Litton PHS, Richey JM, Campbell Univ. Osuna Cotto PS
152 Smith PS, Adkins JM, Broker Univ. Dowler PHS
160 Norman PS,Davis BRK, Combs PHS, Luekenhoff Univ.,
171 Walters PS, Brown Univ. Simmons JM, Loughran BRK
189 Tominack WP, Lindamood PHS, Ewing JM, Radcliffe PS
215 Thomas PHS, Hercules WP, Anderson Univ., Davis PS
HWT Dearman PHS, Dorton PS, Molnar BRK, Fortney Univ.

PHS- 12 qualify South-12 qualify I know south and phs fans are gonna rip on me for this but I was just havin some fun and i was realllly bored.

February 3, 2004
comments: When do they choose the pill for state?
Editor's note: After all the regional results have been reported to headquarters.

February 3, 2004
comments: AS A PHS FAN, I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT IAM SCARED TO ADMIT THAT SOUTH IS VERY CAPABLE OF WINNING STATE THIS YEAR. THEY WILL PROBABLY QUALIFY MORE THAT PHS WILL, AND HAVE MORE WIN IN CONSOLATIONS THAT PHS WILL. WE'LL HAVE TO SEE HOW THE REGIONAL COMES OUT. ALSO, ABOUT THE NAME "PARKERSBURG", YOU MIGHT NOT BE SCARED BUT WE ARE VERY INTIMIDATING TO THE STATE. SINCE 1999, A PARKERSBURG TEAM HAS BEEN IN THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN FOOTBALL.PHS WINNING TWICE, SOUTH ONCE. THE PAST 5 YEARS, A PARKERSBURG TEAM HAS WON THE STATE WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP. SOUTH WITH 4, PHS WITH 1. EVERYONE KNOWS THE CITY DOMINATES. JUST DEAL WITH IT!
ALSO, WHEN I SAY PARKERSBURG I MEAN PHS AND SOUTH, AND WHY ARE WE SO OVER RATED?

February 3, 2004
comments: I usually do these after the local conference tournament but by then they tend to be rather obvious. I may revise them in the coming weeks I'm not sure where some of the teams stand on their lineups.

Rash (Ind)
Highlander (GW)
I'm not sure if there are any others.

Godfrey (Log)
Holcolm (OH)
Workman (MT)
Davis (Ind)

Neal (SS)
Kessler (GW)
(Log)
(West)I'm not sure of the names

Scarbro (SS)
Painter (GW)
Kenney (MT)
McGraw (WE)

Harvey (SS)
Crane (GW)
Atha (OH)
Jones (Ind)

Chapman (SS)
Coleman (Fay)
Martin (GW)
Bailey (Lib)

Stewart (Ind)
Palmer (GW)
Hall (SS)
Stonestreet (Fay)

Meadows (SS)
Johns (Fay)
Francis (WE)
Baber (OH)

Boone (GW)
Fell (OH)
Redden (SS)
Gwinn (MB)

Justice (WE)
Wood (Ind)
Hart (SS)
Shipes (GW)

Thompson (SS)
Gatewood/Osbournre (GW)
Ward (Ind)
Betkijian (Lib)

Smith (GW)
Ward (Ind)
Jones (SS)
Canterbury (Lib)

Cline (Wes)
Williams (OH)
Kincade (SS)
Crookshanks (GW)

McMillion (SS)
Crookshanks (GW)
Cambell (WE)
Murphey (Gil)

February 3, 2004
comments: I have one request from the Youth states at the NCJWA and also from talking to others they feel the same way. Please give the trophies out and let us go home. The last couple of years we had to wait for over an hour just to get my son's trophy and get a picture taken. If parents or wrestlers want their picture taken let them decide on their own. Don't make everyone wait extra time for this. After the tournament it has been a long day and many have long drives. LET US GO HOME! Thanks

February 3, 2004
comments: Rader and Smith are both great wrestlers,wrestling in separate weight classes.It is hard to say who is best and hard to compare the two,so why not just sit back and enjoy them both while we still can....high school goes by very quickly!

February 3, 2004
comments: ratteaser: Get ready for two upsets in one year....might want to get the anti-acids stocked up on the Norfside!

February 3, 2004
comments: Personaly i dont care if the rankings ever come out. I think people look to much into them. It just gives the so called experts something to talk about.

February 3, 2004
Mitch was pinned once in Fargo last year, but it should be pointed out that it is far easy to get pinned in freestyle and greco than folkstyle. Also I had heard that Mitch had a cracked rib in Fargo. Pretty hard to wrestle with that and be gut wrenched all week and still place in both styles. Also I don't believe Mitch has EVER been teched.

February 3, 2004
comments: To SSgrapler0548: you are completely right! Parkersburg does not scare me. They are really over rated. They are ranked nationally, but then they get beat by Parkersburg South. But how can a name scare you anyway?

February 3, 2004
comments: Hey Harry just who do you predict to DE-throne Oak Glen?

February 3, 2004
comments: to the person who asked who won the 152 pound weight class at the clay co tourny wince from mitchie decisioned fell from oak hill 10-1 but was a very close match until the last couple of sec when fell tried a lateral drop to win and slipped

February 3, 2004
comments: not that i think this spladle arguement is going anywhere, but, it is correct that if you hit a high crotch correctly you can't get spladled... but it's also true that some of the best spladles come from the top position, ex. the OVAC final match previously mentioned and also the Billy Smith vs Ohio State (?) match previously mentioned

February 3, 2004
comments: I would like to see Eric Metz or Devin Bosley wrestle Casey Hughes but that will never happen since they are not in the same weight class.

February 3, 2004
comments: It doesnt really matter who is better, Rader or Smith. They are two of the best to ever wrestle in our state ever. Maybe next year Rader will grow enough for us to see a match between the two. for now we can only speculate. I would like to see Mitch wrestle the same schedule that Rader has so far this season. Here is an example. Ripley wrestled 1 out of state tourney last year and Smith lost to Lakia, who placed somewhere in the consolations of the Ohio states. Last weekend at St. Eds Rader pinned an All-American from Great bridge and Majored the defending ohio state runner-up from St. Eds.

February 3, 2004
comments: Could some one other than the people who are currently running the Jr. State tournament please explain to me the difference between a 9th grader in Jr. High and a 9th grader in High School that wrestled as a freshman ? The way I see it their both 9th graders. However I was told by the people running the Jr. States that there's a difference, if so what is it? They wrestle each other at tournaments all accross the state even in the WSAZ's last month their were 9th graders from Jr. High and 9th graders from High school Freshman teams that wrestled each other. I was told that the Jr High 9th graders would be allowed to wrestle but not the 9th grade freshman wrestler's.

February 3, 2004
comments: Is there a reason for the delay on the rankings??
Editor's note: Internet server down at a school for a day, email communication delayed, need to double check a few things, some (a few, maybe one or two) ranked wrestlers will disappear, etc. We plan to rank 8 each weight each class AAA and AA/A- that's 224 wrestlers - and release both classes the same time.

February 3, 2004
comments: To: Spiderman
Let me first dispel any rumor, there are NO Ohio wrestlers at the Parkersburg Junior Wrestling Championships. That is a complete falsehood and it doesn't happen at the one hosted in Clarksburg in the past and by East Fairmont this year. That is just someone trying to trash the Parkersburg event. We too were skeptical of what we heard about the P-burg states, but found it to be wrong. It is a class act.

Our club had attended the "Clarksburg States" since it's inception and have attended both for the last 3 years. Each tournament has it's advantages and disadvatages. I will try to give a few for each as I know this is an issue with a lot of people involved in youth wrestling in WV. The solution would be to have 1 championship for all of youth wrestling in WV but that isn't going to happen anytime soon so....

PARKERSBURG STATES (PYS)
PRO
1.Better competition from top to bottom (Wood County teams attend PYS and the majority of good wrestlers want to beat Wood County Wrestlers)
2. Very well organized
3. Great Facility

CON
1. NOT ALL TEAMS ATTEND (Eastern Panhandle, Oak Glen area both have many quality youth wrestlers)
2. 2 day tourney, can be a little drawn out for younger wrestlers
3. Scratch meeting same weekend as HS States

YOUTH CHAMPS
PRO
1.Competition excellent up to Jr Hi age group -plus quality wrestlers from northern WV and panhandle
2.Host rotates
3. One day Tourney

CON
1.NOT ALL TEAMS ATTEND (see above Wood County)
2. some disorganization past couple years (no slam to those who hosted, it was just new to them)
3. Scratch meeting same day as PYS.

What comes out in the wash: Trophies & T-shirts are about the same. Not an issue.

Solution: If you want to be a true WV State Champ, attend both, win both. That way you can say you wrestled everyone. Both are being hosted by quality organizations and will both put on class events and should be supported by all involved...doesn't matter where let's just wrestle. Besides, it's all practice for the BIG Tourney in their future hosted in Huntington!

Thanks for the soapbox airwaves Doc!

February 3, 2004
comments: Can we see some PVC predictions???

February 3, 2004
comments: Well me and my great friend Lloyd Christmas have just finished a conversation. We have come to the conclusion that South is going to pull out the state championship this year. * This will be the closest state tournament EVER! Also look for Brooke to make a lot of noise! One other key note....Oak Glen will be DE-throwned this season. Going to have to WAIT for 8!!!

February 3, 2004
comments: To the nameless person who posted comments on February 3 to Cavalier (about why Nicholas results weren't posted on January 21): The way I see it, the host team should post results for matches -- NOT the visiting teams. Cavalier was right about the "Experts" who make predictions on this site and about those who write for the newspapers -- they don't know what matches have taken place, who has wrestled who, and what all the scores are -- so how can they make accurate predictions or rate any wrestler over another?
Editor's note: I really don't want to get in to a debate over who is "supposed" to post results. This will only alienate folks and add more grief to coaches, all of whom have quite enough grief on their hands already, thank-you. Frankly, I'm amazed that we get as many results posted as we do.

February 3, 2004
comments: To: Godzilla..... nice picks young man....but i think your 215 should be revised a little. Just my opinion. Also there is a sleeper in 135 you have this boy ranked but he might win it all. Not going to mention his name but look for an upset at 135.

February 3, 2004
comments: You can say what you want, Spladle is still junk!

February 3, 2004
comments: A technical discussion on the Spladle is now available at ZenGrappling.com

Broke down over 4 pages, it shows variations ranging from opposite leg in to standing techniques.

The direct link is http://www.zengrappling.com/Technical%20Disc.html

check it out, let me know what you think....unless you are "Former Region II wrestler", I already know what he thinks. As he informed me that I sucked this morning. Which I thought was pretty harsh. Where is the love guys? I guess he is jealous of my good looks,....yep can't blame anybody for that.
Superman

February 3, 2004
comments: Just wondering how the Coaches Team Poll is compiled? As I look down the AA/A list, I can buy the top 3 and that's just about it. Head-to-head, St. Marys has beaten Point Pleasant, Wirt and Roane. Calhoun beat Braxton at the Big 16. Independence has beaten Roane. How did Herbert Hoover get in the mix? Bridgeport's coming on...where are they? I don't get it!
Editor's note: I can't speak for the coaches, but as far as WV-Mat input into the poll goes, we see it like this: As the season gets closer to the end, the poll becomes increasingly based on tournament performance. The most recently reported tournaments cause things to change. Otherwise, why re-do the poll every week? St Marys has had some impressive dual meet victories, but most recently finished 47.5 points behind Bridgeport at Williamstown Rumble, and 10 points behind Wirt at WSAZ. Roane County seems to be still getting a lot of milage out of a 5th place at Braxton Big 16, 37 points ahead of Bridgeport. Hoover finished 4th at Big 16, ahead of Roane, and way ahead of Bridgeport which as we have noted most recently finished well ahead of St Marys. Also, Bridgeport owns a dual meet victory over Calhoun. Hoover won a duals tourney at Roane County last weekend, and, along with their 4th place finish at Braxton, has to count for something. Point Pleasant finished 10 points ahead of Hoover at WSAZ, so they figure in to the mix as well. Calhoun did beat Braxton at Big 16, but most recently lost to Braxton at their own tournament on January 24. Independence does own a dual meet victory over Roane, but finished well down the list at Big 16, behind everyone else that is ranked as well as Grafton, Winfield, Clay, and Petersburg. Wirt County was the second highest placing AA/A team at Winners Choice (Williamstown being the highest), and finished well ahead of Point Pleasant who, as we have seen, finished ahead of Hoover. Hope this clears everything up!

February 3, 2004
comments: uhhhhhhhh...yes i do believe that rader would have done well at any weight. if rader weighed the same as anyone he wrestled in this state, i would have to say he'd come out on top. pound for pound he is the one to beat. but hey, that's just how I see it.

February 3, 2004
comments: To S.E.O.A.L Predictor....it Justin Cullen..not collins. I agree with you about it being a very close conference this year. To Disgruntled Fan: that is all people do here is brag up there team....why jump on certain people for doing it. All the wrestlers will go out there and try their very best. "The chips will always fall as they may." So good luck to all the wrestlers that will be wrestling this weekend, and a special wish of luck to all my guys in Point..."put it in the dirt!"(and Coach and Joann....luv ya).

February 3, 2004
comments: To Spiderman : I think the PArkersburg states are the best in competition ,as far as Ohio kids the ones from Ohio that wrestle in the rec league in wood county do not wrestle at that event.Its possible that a few may btu I personaly do not know of any.

February 3, 2004
comments: my big reds are gearing up for a strong finish...may the rodents beware

February 3, 2004
comments: To: DevilsFAN and Godzilla
Thanks for your congrats to Sam Dennis for his wins at 160. I think he looks great there, too. He's a competitor this year. Look out AA - no matter which weight. Josh Dennis is bringing it on too at 171. David Dennis will be in the running next year as a freshman - they're all great kids.

February 3, 2004
comments: To: Most Oustanding Fan
Yes, Rader is a very good wrestler, but to say that he is better than Mitch Smith because he has had some close matches is crazy. Rader had been beat several times out of state the past few years, and Smith was only beat once and if I'm not mistaken, that kid that beat him was ranked pretty high in the nation. Plus Rader wrestles in the lower weights which are no where near as strong as the middle weights. Yes, Rader is in a middle weight this year, but look at the past few years....Rader Wrested in the 112, and 119 classes, those are tough classes, but they are not packed like 130 through 152. Smith wrestled 135 and 140..both very hard classes every year. Both Rader and Smith are very talented wrestlers, please don't get me wrong, and I would love to see Rader and Smith both be 4 time state champions, but Smith has been a powerhouse in the middle weights since he was a freshman, and probably could have won states as an eighth grader, Rader was not as technically sound his freshman year as Smith was. Year in and year out the middle weights are the toughest classes in the state. And Smith has proven he can wrestle with anyone in the nation in those weights. By the way, on a differnet note, this year it seems that 112, 189, 215, and 275 are pretty weak, or weaker than they usually are. I know that there are several good wreslters in those classes, but not very many, and Take Dearman out of 275, and nobody could guess who would win it. It's all a toss up.

February 3, 2004
comments: Of course i did not base my decision that Rader is better because he has not had any close matches. I was just stating that point. Also i am sure, as great as Mitch is, he has had his share of lopsided defeats. Mitch has placed at Fargo for the past 2 summers. If you check the results he has lost a few, just like rader. It's just my opininon.

February 3, 2004
comments: Please note that CALL-INS are being accepted for the Keyser Youth Wrestling Tournament being held Sunday, February 22, 2004. Please see the entry form for contact information. Thank You.

February 3, 2004
comments: I can wait until the 10th when we wrestle phs. Because i think it is going to be a good match that is if we wrestle hard.

February 3, 2004
comments: To whoever made the comments about rader being teched and pinned by out of state people. Let me remind you that last year in Fargo, Mitch Smith I believe got pinned twice. But to my knowledge, Mitch beat Rader in freestyle last year in a summer tourny 9-2. But that was Raders first year of freestyle.

February 3, 2004

comments: Fairmont Seniors win over Huntington was the result of 4 classes not having the starters in due to injury,illness and scheduling issues.Out was 105,135,160 and heavy.I was at the dual and know for a fact that if these starters were there they all would have won each class and the score would have been much different.Don't get me wrong Fairmont is a good team but no way would they beat Huntington with the starters in.

February 3, 2004
comments: How does the Parkersburg Youth states compare to the "other" youth states in competition? I have heard the Parkersburg tournament has a lot of Ohio kids show up.

February 3, 2004
comments: Could one of my fellow rats tell me the starting time of the South /Mcguffy match this Sat?..... thanks

February 3, 2004
comments: i predict that Oak Glen will win states by 50 or more points

February 3, 2004
comments: What happened to the individual rankings that our supposed to be out today
Editor's note: Delayed two days. Hope for Thursday release.

February 3, 2004
comments: To: most outstanding fan
You say Radar is a better wrestler than Mitch Smith because Smith had a few close matches. I would like to mention the fact that Radar has been pinned and teched in his some of his matches (granted they were to out of state wrestlers but when the majority of your matches are out of state that should be considered) Also consider the weight classes each has wrestled in. I wonder if Radar had competed in the middle weights as a freshman or sophomore if he would have done as well? Just a thought.

February 3, 2004
comments: To the Cav fan who was upset because the results of the Nichola Coounty matctchs weren't posted. This wonderful site offers an easy and fast way to post results. Why not employ it, or have your coach employ it? Why should OTHER teams be responsible for posting YOUR results?

February 3, 2004
comments: I was at the WVU vs. OSU dual last year and saw #6 Billy Smith get "caught" in the spladal by unranked OSU wrestler Josh Daugherty. Suprisingly, Smith was on the bottom when it happened. WVU was only down by one point going into this last match of the night. Unfortunatley, Smith was pinned. Just goes to show you the "better" wrestlers can get caught as well.

February 3, 2004
comments: Let see some predictions for th MSAC Tournment. I think Huntington and Ripley, can be right there in the mix. Go get'm boys. I know both teams young coaches are doing amazing things. What do you guys think. Comments!

February 3, 2004
comments: I would like to say that the only people the word "Parkersburg" scares is your average high school wrestler. I as an above average wrestler and the rest of the above average wrestlers that I have seen and know, come through the state could care less about that name. So go ahead and believe your name scares people, just the wrong people.

February 3, 2004
comments: Region IV AA/A Predictions

103 - Gungle(Cal);Boggs(Roa);Tate(Win);Blind(WC)
112 - Moffatt(Win);Hanson(HH);Burrows(cal);Young(WC)
119 - Ellis(Wah);Billings(Rav);Griffin(Roa);Howrylak(Win)
125 - Leithead(S);Ramsey(Cal);Price(Roa);Dewitt(PP)
130 - Ashley(Cal);Cullen(PP);Morris(HH);Chapman(S)
135 - Cummings(Cal);Mollohan(HH);Price(clay);Roub(PP)
140 - Casto(PP);Price(cal);Young(WC);Currie(HH)
145 - Bonecutter(PP);Fisher(HH);Cavender(S);Nichols(Cal)
152 - Metz(Cal);Kendall(Roa);Reed(Clay);Hereford(PP)
160 - Dennis(Rav);Goodrich (Cal);Brainard (Roa);Warner (PP)
171 - Carr(PP);Burgess(Roa);Adkins(Clay);Dennis(Rav)
189 - McCoy(HH);Barton(Wah);Meade(S);Fisher(WC)
215 - Harris(WC);Craddock(Roa);Mullins(Rich);Tench(PP)
275 - Anderson(HH);Shirley(PP);Meeks(Win);Obrien(Roa)

Teams -
Cal: Champs - 4 RU - 3 T - 1 F - 1 = 9
Roa: Champs - 0 RU - 4 T - 3 F - 1 = 8
PP:  Champs - 3 RU - 2 T - 0 F - 5 = 10
WC:  Champs - 1 RU - 0 T - 1 F - 3 = 5
HH:  Champs - 2 RU - 3 T - 1 F - 1 = 7
Win: Champs - 1 RU - 0 T - 2 F - 1 = 4 
Sis: Champs - 1 RU - 0 T - 2 F - 1 = 4 
Wah: Champs - 1 RU - 1 T - 0 F - 0 = 2
Cla: Champs - 0 RU - 0 T - 3 F - 0 = 3
Rav: Champs - 1 RU - 1 T - 0 F - 1 = 3
Ric: Champs - 0 RU - 0 T - 1 F - 0 = 1
Calhoun Co. Will win this region even though Point Pleasant sends more to states. Roane Co. will finish second followed by Point, Hoover, Winfield, Webster Co., Ravenswood, Sissonville, Clay Co., Wahama, and Richwood.

* Perry Ellis of wahama wins Region IV MVW.

February 3, 2004
comments: To anon:
I dont think anybody is frightened by the name Parkersburg, and I dont think anybody is jealous of their sucess, but that has got to be one of the most obnoxious statements I have ever heard.

February 3, 2004
comments: Ask Brad Penrith (1986 NCAA Champion) from Iowa if the spladle is a "junk move." Bill Kelly of Iowa State pinned him with it in the finals of the 1987 D1 NCAA tournament. You don't pin an NCAA champ with a "junk move."

FYI, this was Ken Chertow's weight class that year and he ended up third in the country. Lost to Kelly in the semis by criteria in OT.

February 3, 2004
comments: I would just like to say that the Roane Raider Duals was one of the best run dual meets i have ever been to. Great Job to coaches, staff and parents. Also i would like to say congrats to all the winners of there weight classes. A speacial congrats to Sam Dennis (160) Rav. You look a lot healthier and stronger at 160 Good job kid!

February 3, 2004
comments: To: Seoal predictor .... or TEX, or 215, or BR what ever you are calling yourself now....... you need to quit bragging your team up. Just go out there and wrestle and let the chips fall where they may!

February 3, 2004
comments: To: Seoal predictor .... or TEX, or 215, or BR what ever you are calling yourself now....... you need to quit bragging your team up. Just go out there and wrestle and let the chips fall where they may!

February 3, 2004
comments: Two Comments:
1. The spladle is not a junk move. I don't believe there are any junk moves in wrestling. There is sloppy wrestling that appears to be junky, but the spladle is not junk. Wrestling is wrestling and people are being innovative all of the time with different techniques and moves. That is the beauty of the sport. The spladle has been used in the NCAA Finals.
2. Just to reiterate my thoughts on Rich Underwood: He is arguably one of the best to ever wrestle in West Virginia. He was 94 - 2 with 70 pins. One of the pins was against Chertow. Underwood had one loss to a West Virginia Wrestler. He lost to Roger Kent of Wheeling Park in the Region 1 finals his 10th grade year. He defeated Kent in the state finals the following week. His other loss was to an outstanding wrestler from Ohio. Also, Chertow's contribution to the sport of wrestling in West Virginia and nationwide is immeasurable.

February 2, 2004
comments: Hows come you dont do who's who in middle school anymore?

February 2, 2004
comments: who won 152 at clay co this past weekend?

February 2, 2004
comments: Will anyone from the Bob Stover Classic tourney be posting the finals results for all weight classes?

February 2, 2004
comments: just wondering in the AA/A 152 class how come no one has cared to predict wince from ritchie anywhere? he took 5th last year at 145 and im just wondering who he has lost to this year?

February 2, 2004
comments: The MOW award is supposed to be based on an individuals performance at the state tournament, and i believe the Dutton award is given to the best wrestler in the state of WV for that year. But i also believe both awards are given to the wrestler who usually has the best 3-4 year wrestling resume. Brandon Rader is the best wrestler in the state. The only person to give him a close match in 3 years in WV is Turnbull and Rader beat him 5 times in one year. Next would be Mitch Smith, who also has never lost to a WV wrestler, but has had some close ones. Lou thomas would be third with kyle turnbull the fouorth best. after that i would rank Walters and Shane Smith. Walters is good and has had a lot of talk on here but he really got it handed to him at the ironman and Reno.

February 2, 2004
comments: South alum.: PHS is losing shyver, thomas, and dearman this year. that could of been what he meant. Who will south be losing to graduation this year? Editor's note: And if you want to know why I snipped the rest of your post, email me and I'll tell you...

February 2, 2004
comments: Guess what
hit a High Crotch and you cant get spladled!

February 2, 2004
comments: BECAUSE PHS AND SOUTH ARE SO GOOD, SO ITS FUN TO TALK ABOUT THEM, AND ITS FUNNY WHEN PEOPLE FROM BOTH SCHOOLS ARGUE. THERE ARE OTHER GOOD TEAMS IN THE STATE, BUT THOSE 2 STAND OUT, THE NAME "PARKERSBURG" IS JUST FRIGHTENING TO THE REST OF THE STATE. DONT BE JEALOUS THEY ARE SO GOOD. BUT WHAT DO YUO WANT TO TALK ABOUT BESIDES THEM? I MEAN ITS REALLY EXCITING TO TALK ABOUT REGIONS 2,3, AND 4 ISNT IT? REGION 1 IS WHERE ALL THE EXCITEMENT IS!! ALSO AMATEUR WRESTLING NEWS HAS PHS AT 20 NOW, BUT NATIONAL RANKINGS MEAN NOTHING IN WV. ALSO WHOEVER HHHSJM130 WHOEVER WROTE THE POST ABOUT WRESTLING PHS ON FEB 18TH BRING IT ON LOUIE. YOUR GONNA EAT YOUR WORDS THERE BECAUSE LOU DESTROYS HIS COMPETITION.

February 2, 2004
comments: To Crop Duster;Sam StClair.I've been here a long time. Thanks for your wise words.

February 2, 2004
comments: About the tournament this past weekend that AC and others wrote in about: My son wrestles in the 7-8 year old unlimited class and we called in his entry 2 weeks before the tournament. There was no weight MAX listed on any of the entry forms and when we called in and spoke to the tournament director we told him our son's weight. Nothing was said at that time about a weight limit. However, the director informed our coach several days before the tournament that our son weighed too much and would have to wrestle with 11-12 year olds if he wanted to participate. He is 8 years old and in second grade! If the director wanted to impose a weight limit, it should have been listed on the entry forms so we wouldn't have wasted our time. We feel that our son was singled out and discriminated against, especially since there ended up being a wrestler very close to our son's weight who was allowed to participate. We ended up taking him to another tournament on the same day where he won first place and got a big gorgeous trophy and T-shirt. Shame on those who would discriminate against any child to give their kids an advantage!

February 2, 2004
comments: To: Crop Duster
You said that "since PHS will only have 2 of their best wrestlers back..." What did you mean by that?

February 2, 2004
comments: Any idea when the 2004 State Tournament Schedule will be posted?

February 2, 2004
comments: anyone calling a spladle junk is crazy... if you watched the OVAC finals you'd of saw a state champ spladle a state champ... not your everyday fishflop move, some kids get it down to an art and it's as effective as any other move in wrestling!

February 2, 2004
comments: Big Red wrestlers, you are having a great season! Great job at the National tourneys as you are helping to give WV national respect. Keep up the hard work in the practice room like i know you guys are. Big reds have the most intense practices of anyone ever!! Just keep listening to your coaches and they will have you prepard and ready to bring home the championship. Don't listen to this other crap that says you have all ready peaked. Just keep workin hard and it will all fall into place. PS Running sprints yet?? I hated those things, but they worked!

February 2, 2004
comments: After reading your forum I have several comments!
1) Shane Smith for Dutton Award.(National rankings plays no part in being the best wrestler in the state, some weight classes are tougher than others,plus I feel he might be denied because hes in A/AA division. Although he has beaten the AAA state champ all three years at the WSAZ. Any other choice than Mr. Smith would be a slap in Bobs' face!)
2) Rich Underwood for being the best all time wrestler. If you dont think he's number one, either you dont know your wrestling or you're too young to know. Rich had both finess and physicalness. I haven't seen the latter for sometime now, let alone both of them together. Ask Chertow, he kinda moved out of his weight class.
3) As far as peaking too early,yes you can. It's the COACHES responsibility to make sure his team peaks at the end of Feb. AS for PHS I think they where more interested in National rankings than peaking at the right time. Since they will only have two of their best wrestlers back (according to their coaches quote in Parkersburb News)I wonder if they will keep that so called tough schedule next year.
4) IF YOU ARE A WRESTLER AND DONT SEE YOUR NAME ON ANY OF THESE "WHANNABEE" PREDICTION LIST, DONT LET THAT DISCOURAGE YOU, LET THAT MOTIVATE YOU. ITS TIME TO PICK IT UP IN THE PRACTICE ROOM. INTENSE DRILLING IS THE KEY. IT WILL FINE TUNE YOUR SKILLS AND PLAY A PART IN YOUR CONDITIONING. THE TWO MAJOR COMPONENTS IN WRESTLING. IT'S TIME TO RUN THE HALLS IN THE MORNING BEFORE SCHOOL.
5) My prediction for saturday night is that we wont see the " V " from Ratteaser but we will see THE BALD EAGLE SOARING!!! 6) A little trivia for all you young writers and "WHANNABEES" who were they referring to in the old wrestling newspaper when Coach Archer would sign off 'GOOD NIGHT SAM' ??

February 2, 2004
comments: S.E.O.A.L. championships are this coming weekend.it will be held at marietta ohio. look for galia academy, marietta, and warren to be strong.this could be the closest conf. finish for years. but look for the only WEST VIRGINIA team POINT PLEASANT to win it all, with bonecutter,carr,casto,and tench scoring big points. but the key is justin collins 130. if he is healthy point should win the title. this would be great being the last year in the ohio league. also look for big things at state for the point guys.

February 2, 2004
comments: I guess by that logic ("I would want my kids attacking") it would also be unnecessary to teach wrestlers how to sprawl or how to counter anything for for that matter. Wrestle my way or you deserve to lose, this is a great coaching attitude.

February 2, 2004
comments: To: fan
About Shetler and Haisilp. I too have watched each of these fine wrestlers wrestle with others for years. And I have to agree with you that these two wrestlers don't use excuses. But these are the kind of wrestlers that if they were sick that they would wrestle anyway because they are dedicated to himselves and there team. But you can't say that being sick doesn't affect your performance. And I give Haislip all the credit in the world he has ajusted to high school wrestling very well. We all would like see the two wrestle again. Both of these wrestlers are very good and are ranked in their own weight classes. It would be a match to see.

February 2, 2004
comments: To who ever disagrees but JM 130 has a point about this PHS or PSHS thing thats all you hear about. Why dont we talk about something besides the same ol' school every time and how there nationally ranked....

February 2, 2004
comments: I know most of the phs team plays football too. But still you all are too good. I will wrestle your whole team at the same time on wed. the feb.18 So bring it louie thomas!! oh and good luck!!

February 2, 2004
comments: Is Parkersburg 189 going to be at 171 for the rest of the year?

February 2, 2004
comments: Is Shane Grogg still wrestling at WVU I heard he is no longer with the team?

February 2, 2004
comments: You know if your hitting a spladle that means the other wrestler is attacking your legs, Well that means your not attacking his so i would say its not something i would teach wrestlers to look for,I would want my kids attacking.

February 2, 2004
comments: My thoughts on the Spladle. It is not a junk move....LOL

All moves are moves of opportunity, the spladle is no different. I actually saw the West Virginia duel meet in question and that "cobra" was one of the better ones I've seen. A spladle is very similar to a cradle. Yes you can force both of them, but not against a good kid. Instead, looking for when the head and knee are close together, or using to cradle or spladle to set up other techniques. Example a cradle turk combination, and there is a dozen things to work off a spladle attempt ranging from a churrella (spelling?) to a cradle (depending on the type of spladle and position).

In about a week look for my technical discussion of the spladle at ZenGrappling.com I will post on here and let you guys know when its available.

One last thing, for the guy who doesn't wrestle but loves my site. Thanks a lot. I think thats great. When I designed the site I wanted it to have something for everybody, and judging by the 3,000 uniques I got yesterday (after only a week live), I would say I've been successful. Thanks for the support.

Superman

February 2, 2004
comments: I saw someone post that Codie Gustines got his 100th win this past weekend. That had to really be a tough feat since his school WAS only a 3yr high school and also Jefferson doesn't compete in a lot of tournements. Congratualtions to that young man.

February 2, 2004
comments: WOW, Fairmont Senior really seems to be stepping up the past few weeks. Winning the North Marion rivalry dual was a pleasant surprise but I never imagined these guys sweeping Huntington, Buckhannon, and Nitro!

Great job by Coach Delligatti and others who have brought the program back from an injury-plagued roster-depleted 2002-2003 year.

With lots of freshman and sophs on the roster improving during the coarse of the season these guys could make a little noise at regionals and states this year.

Best of luck, fellas!

February 2, 2004
comments: Anyone have the results of the Clay County Invitational held last Sat
Editor's note: I got a set of partial results. I'll go ahead and put them up...

February 2, 2004
comments: what is the name of superman's website
Editor's note: http://www.zengrappling.com/
February 2, 2004
comments: Congradulations To Troy Foltz and Derrick Young from Hedgesville on reaching 100 wins in their Junior season, keep up the hard work it will payoff in Huntington. Troy and Derrick both will be wrestling on Saturday at states

February 2, 2004
comments: To: WVUStud
I also would like to see Eric Metz and Rhett Northcraft wrestle each other. With Devin Bosley in the mix the 152 lb class is tuff.

February 2, 2004
comments: Two comments. This site is really an outstanding service. I hope we all appreciate it. (That was one, two part comment.)

And, I just read the interview with Larry Shaw. That man is a class act. (That was another two parter.)

February 2, 2004
comments: Fan Man
rowsey and richards werent able to make the trip the weekend o the roane county tournment.

February 2, 2004
comments: can someone please post the results from the raleigh co. middle championships on the ral. co. page thanks.

February 2, 2004
comments: BASEBALL IS A GREAT SPORT, MY FAVORITE BY THE WAY BUT THERES NO THING AS TO MUCH WRESTLING, WHAT DO YOU THINK COLLEGE IS GONNA BE? ALSO COMMENT TO DG: YOUR RIGHT SOME SCHOOLS DO NOT HAVE THE FINANCES TO GO TO THE TOURNAMENTS, BUT THERE ARE OFFSEASON TOURNAMENTS LIKE THE FARGO FREESTYLE/GRECO CHAMPIONSHIPS. THAT IS WHY EASTER, TURNBULL, AND MITCH SMITH ARE RANKED WHAT THEY ARE. TURNBULL WAS RUNNER-UP IN FREESTYLE, EASTER GOT 3RD(SAME WEIGHT AS TURNBULL), AND MITCH PLACED IN BOTH FREESTYLE AND GRECO. THE REASON LOU THOMAS IS RANKED SO HIGH IS BECAUSE HE DID WELL AT THE 3 TOURNYS LAST YEAR AND THIS YEAR, AND BECAUSE HE BEAT THE NUMBER 1 GUY RANKED IN THE NATION.

February 2, 2004
comments: Caps off to Judd Billings and Sam Dennis of Ravenswood for taking the championships in their weight classes at the Roane Raider Cup. It's about time!!! Way to go guys!!!!

February 2, 2004
comments: To the individual commenting on the Shetler vs. Haislip match. I too have watched each of these fine wrestlers grapple with others for years. To my knowledge they have never wrestled each other before. It was a very tough first period for Haislip, who didn't seem prepared for those first two takedowns, but from then on it seemed as though Haislip dominated the match. As for Shetler not being at the top of his game, I don't think Shetler would ever make excuses. He is a class act, as is Haislip, and I think many people would like to see that matchup again. Whatever the outcome, I know it would be a good match!

February 2, 2004
comments: Comments to: Waldo Ino
Way to look outside the box and see the big picture. On who the best wrestler is.

February 2, 2004
comments: How come the results for the match at Nicholas County on January 21 were never posted? The Greenbrier West Team wrestled against Nicholas County, Oak Hill, and Fayetteville and won all three matches. It would be nice if teams would post scores for all matches -- not just the ones they win! I don't see how any of the "experts" can make any predictions when they only know half the story.

February 2, 2004
comments: I would not say the Spladle is a "junk" move, as stated earlier. I would say the Spladle is more of a move of "opportunity". In other words, if it is there, why not use it? It can be brutal to get out of. There are many moves that might be considered "junk" moves in high school, because they don't often work against better wrestlers. The 3/4, and "Head and Arm" come to mind, but sometimes they just present themselves. Don't forget the NCAA dual between WVU and Ohio last year. That dual came down to a loss for WVU due to a Spladle in the last match! P.S. The Spladle is also called a Cobra by some.

February 2, 2004
comments: Congratulations to Codie Gustines on his 100th win this past weekend at the CVAl. Great Job.

February 2, 2004
comments: Congratulations to Lou Thomas on passing Matt Stevens with wins, Lou has 113 now. He will have many more wins to. Good job Lou. I also have a question: If a forfeit considered a win on your record or no?

February 2, 2004
comments: could someone please post individual results for frmnt. sr. HHS?

February 2, 2004
comments: I tried sending this through last week but don't see it posted so I'll try again.

These are my rankings for AAA Region 2 and note I don't have the individual matches for the Fairmont Sr. North Marion match earlier in the season.

103:
1. Knapton-East Fairmont
2. Haislip-Musselman
3. Gustines-Jefferson
4. Caputo-Fairmont Sr.
5. Roberts-Hedgesville

112:
1. Greynolds-East Fairmont
2. Shetler-Hedgesville
3. Efaw-North Marion
4. Chapman-Jefferson
5. Barrett-Musselman

119:
1. Barrett-Musselman
2. Shumate-North Marion
3. Viani-Fairmont Sr.
4. Morton-East Fairmont
5. Judd-Martinsburg

125:
1. Grim-Hedgesville
2. Miner-Musselman
3. Carrell-Jefferson
4. Long-Fairmont Sr.
5. Hickman-North Marion

130:
1. Lodge-North Marion
2. Smith-Jefferson
3. Henry-Martinsburg
4. Michalski-Fairmont Sr.
5. Mundell-East Fairmont

135:
1. Gustines-Jefferson
2. Conner-Martinsburg
3. Ford-Fairmont Sr.
4. McHenry-North Marion
5. Bott-Musselman

140:
1. Barbour-Martinsburg
2. Dixon-Preston
3. Retton-Fairmont Sr.
4. Miller-North Marion
5. Everhart-Hedgesville

145:
1. Conner-Martinsburg
2. Mick-Fairmont Sr.
3. Foltz-Hedgesville
4. Watson-North Marion
5. Kees-Musselman

152:
1. Moore-East Fairmont
2. Foltz-Hedgesville
3. Gustines-Jefferson
4. Jarvis-Martinsburg
5. Gribble-Preston

160:
1. Shephard-East Fairmont
2. Sella-Hedgesville
3. Hoyland-North Marion
4. Quinn-Martinsburg
5. Davis-Fairmont Sr.

171:
1. Ray-East Fairmont
2. Ammons-Hedgesville
3. Miller-preston
4. Strother-Fairmont Sr.
5. Pickett-North Marion

189:
1. Delligatti-Fairmont Sr.
2. Young-Hedgesville
3. Noechel-East Fairmont
4. Michael-North Marion
5. Payne-Jefferson

215:
1. Mauck-Fairmont Sr.
2. Nicholson-Hedgesville
3. Pruitt-Musselman
4. Schrader-North Marion
5. Bennett-East Fairmont

275:
1. Valentine-East Fairmont
2. Bosley-Fairmont Sr.
3. Hendrickson-Musselman
4. Barrett-Hedgesville

As for teams Best Dual Team is Hedgesville based on being undefeated in the region beating Fairmont Sr. and North Marion at Wheeling Park Duals and beating Martinsburg, Musselman, and Jefferson.

Best Tournament Team for the Regional Tournament and for this I used seedings based on my rankings and used the regional points system that has been used the past few years and I'm coming up with
1. East Fairmont 182pts
2. Fairmont Sr. 168pts
3. Hedgesville 167pts
4. North Marion 148pts.

February 2, 2004
comments: I heard Anderson won the Raider Cup this weekend, Did he wrestle Rowsey or Richards, and if so what was the scores and results of the match

February 2, 2004
comments: miller did not get pinned by anyone from herbert hoover he has only been pinned once this year

February 2, 2004
comments: TO:MJ
coaches make decisions in the best interest of their kids and team. The reason for many decisions are not always evident to the fans or parents. Coaches look at long and short term goals for their kids and team. A cval medal is extrinsic with little value in helping that wrestler work toward becoming better. People get caught up in awards and superficial recognitions. Would you rather have 200 wins and 4 cval titles or 1 state championship? Kids have to learn that it is what you know in your heart that is important. THe wrestler knows he was 4-0 and beat the kid that got the medal. That is what is important. The people who care about him also know this. Gustines is 27-0, was 4-0 at cval and didn't get a medal. If you read his comments in the paper (Herald) he could have cared less. He knew why he was moved up (to better himself,prepare for states and help his team.) This is the nature of this sport. If you don't learn this and get over it you will have a few titles but be average at best with a small chance at a state title. The best wrestle any where anytime with little emphasis put on medals or trophies. Trust that your coach has your long term interests at heart.

February 2, 2004
comments: COngrats to the Fairmont Senior Wrestling team on defeating Huntington 33-30 Nitro 51-23 and BU 39-35. East Fairmont is next on the list.

February 1, 2004
comments: Would someone tell the DOC who Sam was? Seems like he wont post my column until he knows. It comes from Coach Archers column he use to write in the wrestling newspaper he circulated around the state. Also on an editors note why wont you post the following articles I wrote? 1. CROP DUSTER 2. I'LL TRY AGAIN
Editor's note: With all due respect, I don't have the foggiest idea what you are talking about. None of the articles you mention ring a bell. I'm wondering if all my email and forum posts and scores are getting through? There has been a virus storm on the Internet this past week. Has anybody else noticed? I'm wondering is some servers are refusing delivery or bottled up or something? I know last weekend my email got bottled up by my ISP and all I got was some lame excuse from them. I really don't know what happened to the items you mentioned, but I'm intrigued. Send whatever it is along again, and let me see it.

February 1, 2004
comments: The Logan at the John Deno Classic is an Ohio School.

February 1, 2004
comments: Congrats to the Fairmont Senior Wrestling team on defeating Huntington 33-30 Nitro 51-23 and BU 39-35. East Fairmont is next on the list.

February 1, 2004
comments: First of all, I want to respond to the response given to the League President. I honestly don't feel that his spelling has anything to do with it. We are here for the kids. That is the only reason we are here. My first recommendation would be a better set of scales for the tournament. I also think that it was definitely poor sportsmanship to send a wrestler home (who was called in by the way) because of someone in the tournament's blunder. Especially when there were empty seats in the brackets. I feel that an accountability should have been made for the inadequacies of the tournament...instead of playing off the subject and the issues by slamming the League President. It would help if someone did admit there were many problems and make an offer to try and work on them for next year. Maybe then...people would actually think about coming back!

February 1, 2004
comments: A spladle is a junk move.

February 1, 2004
comments: There is another sport in the summer to involve yourself in, and that would be baseball. Sometimes too much of a good thing (wrestling)can be hazardous to your health. Ha.

February 1, 2004
comments: Will Oak Glenn Middle School Get more respect in the Junior High Polls now they won the OVAC??

February 1, 2004
comments: if any one says calhoun wont take the lkc title this year and williamstown will we'll see next week won't we. go get em calhoun

February 1, 2004
comments: how did fisher do aganist brandon dye in the match? doesent surprise me that he stuck miller......dustin seems to have some good matches and some bad.

February 1, 2004
comments: To answer your quetion about Grim from what I hear he is going stay down at 125. Also about the whole Bill Barrett thing I think if u wrestle out of your weight class you should not be a champ. You should have to wrestle every match in your weight class. Also TO: GRAPPLER I saw the match between Haislip and Shetler. I have seen both wrestlers wrestle before and I don't think Shetler was at the top of his game. He all so was beating Haislip 4-1 at the end of the first. I would like 2 see them wrestle again and I think you might see a different out come.

February 1, 2004
comments: I don't even wrestle and I loved your site!!!!!

February 1, 2004
comments: To mj barret at 119 did beat both the 119 and 125 champions at the cval's, 14-3 and 15-2 respectfully, he was bumped up to wrestle grim to give him a very competive match, when his team wrestled jefferson instead of receiving a forfiet he was replaced with a jv wrestler so he could move up and score additional points for his team and to also get mat time. this did help the team in team points to make a close match but at the same time made him ineligible to be considered at either weight class for the championships, this is unfortunate, but sometimes we have to sacrifice for the team. In the long run this will build character and respect and make him a true champion on and off of the mat.

February 1, 2004
comments: FormerRegionII wrestler, I'm glad you've taken the time to disrespect me on the forum here, and I'm glad that you know everything about leg riding. Terminology does vary from school to school, but there is more than a chop to the moves shown. Also, I agree that a spiral ride is an excellent way to apply the legs ,but the point of the post is that there is more than one way to put a leg in, and in fact various ways to apply a spiral ride. So claiming that there is a "best" way is pretty foolish, as different situations warrent different variations. Regardless, I hope that you continue to keep an open mind, and try to learn from every source. You will go far with that attitude....There is one question I have for you Mr. FormerRegionII, what does my employment have to do with my theory on leg wrestling? Or anything to do with wrestling or my site? Don't Hate, Appreciate.....

"Be Like Water"-Bruce Lee

Switching Geers Gracefully, WVMat Fan, I'm glad you enjoyed my site, and have taken the time to try and learn something new. As for that spladle I will try and get it on there in time for regionals. Oh, and the "G" stands for "G"ustice...(Justice).

ZenGrappling.com

comments: One more thing FormerRegionII wrestler. After reading your post over one more time, (to make sure I responded appropriately) I noticed that you wrote "but why should I expect...." Having been the victom of Dr. Delete on more than one occasion I beleive I recongize a snip. If there is something you would like to say to me, that the Doc doesn't feel is appropriate for Children's ears, please feel free to use the email address ZenGrappling@hotmail.com to finish your thoughts. I'm a big boy, I can handle it. Plus I'm interested in feedback to improve my site.

February 1, 2004
comments: when wirt and hoover went head to head in a duel, fisher (hoovers 145) wrestled up and pinned miller in an exhibition match.

February 1, 2004
comments: Lindamoods been at 89 the whole year until then, I think he went 71 so some other guys could get some matches in. So I'd say he'll be at 189 for the rest of the season

February 1, 2004
comments: Lou Thomas would be an excellent choice for the Dutton Award as would another Wood County wrestler -- Shane Smith. Or even Brandon Rader from the same PHS team as Thomas. However, There are some others outside Wood County that should get some notice too. These wrestlers should not be denigrated because their team does not have the financial wherewithall to travel all around the country to wrestle.

February 1, 2004
comments: YOU DONT HAVE TO WRESTLE ALL YEAR ROUND TO GO TO THE OFFSEASON TOURNAMENTS, WHAT ELSE ARE THE GUYS GONNA DO DURING SUMMER BEFORE FOOTBALL 2 A DAYS? CANT JUST SIT AROUND AND GET FAT

February 1, 2004
comments: in the match between Josh Morris from Hoover and Billy Hall from Roane, Morris pinned Hall with 12 seconds left. I saw the match and Morris is a good young wrestler.

February 1, 2004
comments: Wrestlers get nationally ranked using several different criteria. Placing in the state tournaments, placing in freestyle tournaments, results from head to head competition, etc. At a lot of the big tournaments there are observers there who keep tabs of how the wrestlers do. For example, losing to a top notch wrestler while staying in the match is much more important than winning 10 times against lesser quality opponents. I think the rankings are a little unfair in that they penalize wrestlers who do not choose to wrestle freestyle, but that does come into play. There are several in-state wrestlers who wrestle very few, if any, tough matches during the scholastic season, yet they continue wrestling after the regular season, get ready for freestyle, and do well in Fargo. Then they are ranked high throughout the scholastic season, because they have stellar records against mediocre competition. Unfair, perhaps. But that is the criteria used. There are several WV wrestlers who are ranked in the top twenty in the nation, but the only ones who are ranked in the top ten are those who wrestled freestyle.

February 1, 2004
comments: AA/A
103             112          119            125          
1RASH IND       1MOFFAT WIN    1NEAL SS      1SCARBRO SS
2BURROWS CAL    2MILLER OG     2BILLINGS RAV 2DIGMON  BX
3FLOWERS WILL   3CUMPSTON CAM  3VALLES WEIR  3BIDDLE WILL
4DAVIS OG       4GUNGLE CAL    4ELLIS  WAH   4LIETHEAD SISS
5BOGGS ROA      5HANSON HH     5ONEAL  CAM   5WRIGHT  OG
6HIGHLANDER GW  6JOHNSON WILL  6GRIFFIN ROA  6RAMSEY  CAL
130             135             140              145
1ASHLEY CAL      1BARTRUG  SM    1CASTO PP       1HUGHES CAM
2HARVEY SS       2CUMMINGS CAL   2CUMPSTON CAM   2ELDER WILL
3MAHAN OG        3PETTIT  CAM    3FLYNT   BX     3HINES BX
4ADAMS BX        4CHAPMAN SS     4PRICE  CAL     4DYE WIRT
5HAWS  BRID      5MCCARTY LC     5DYE   WIRT     5BONECUTTER PP
6CRONIN SM       6ALLEN   WIRT   6DIMARCO WILL   6
152               160            171              
1METZ CAL         1SMITH WILL     1CARR PP
2NORTHPOLE OG     2GOODRICH CAL   2BURGESS ROA
3BOSLEY FRAN      3MASON   BS     3TRACEWELL WILL 
4MILLER  WIRT     4RAILING OG     4THOMPSON SS
5EFAW GRAF        5HASHMAN SM     5CHARNOPLOSKY PB
6YOST TC          6DENNIS RAV     6ADKINS CLAY

February 1, 2004
comments: Hey is lindamood gonna stay at 171 does'nt he have to weigh in so many times at that weight to be able to compete at regionals and states?

February 1, 2004
comments: how do you rank miller from wirt over northcraft , northcraft beat moore 13-1 and moore beat miller i think he'll tAKE IT ALL BUT I WOULd like to see him and casey wrestle

February 1, 2004
comments: CVAL-Talk about short changing a promising wrestler. Billy Barrett (119lbs.) is only a freshman but should he be denied a title when he beat the wrestler who got the title in 119? The rule states that you must wrestle three times in your weight class which was unknown to the wrestler. His first two matches were in his weight class but in his third match the coach decided to move him up a weight class to 125lbs. for the experience. He beat this wrestler in which this wrestler received the title and trophy for the 125lb. weight class. For his last match he was to receive a forfeit in his weight class he again was bumped up. This wrestler was expecting his trophy and title when he left and instead got the Sunday paper and had to read he didn't receive his title. He had a record of 4-0 in this tournament beating both the 119 champion and the 125 champion. I hate to see someone denied something their entitled too because of poor choices.

February 1, 2004
comments: JM 130-Alot of the PHS wrestlers also play football, dearman, thomas, litton, lindamood, and maybe some others. But most of them have wrestled most their life. I know that rader and shyver wrestle all year round. But alot of the others play other sports. Also Shyver had a neck injury at the quad, its nothing real serious, he will return soon.

February 1, 2004
comments: If you are the president of a league ... and you want people to pay attention to you ... learn how to spell -- it will make you look a little bit more intelligent and thus make your complaint appear more credible. Thanks

February 1, 2004
comments: How can alot of the wrestlers be ranked nationally, if they don't wrestle all year round. They go to alot of these tournaments, national tournaments, that aren't scheduled during the wrestling season.

February 1, 2004
comments: where is the rest of the results of the john deno classic...i know i sent them to u the second time
Editor's note: Dunno. Might have come up on my other computer at home. I'm updating from work today.

February 1, 2004
comments: congradulations to dave bonecutter on his 40th win this season and his 5th championship on the season. keep it up....also congrats to jacob carr on his john deno championship....keep it up boys it's crunch time.

February 1, 2004
comments: When you talk about the best wrestlers to come out of WV,people always mention Ken Chertow,but few mention Rich Underwwod from South.He lost 2 matches during his career and I think he was undefeated in WV. He kept Chertow from being a 3 time champion. If you are talking about a high school career,you have to include Rich!

February 1, 2004
comments: TO AC....I too was at the same tournament. We had 2 boys who weighed in on official scales after practice on Fri and had nothing else to eat or drink till weigh ins and they weighed him in 2 lbs heavier. Many parents had the same complaint along with the inferrior trophies. I had one dad tell me his son was 2 lbs over weight and instead of charging him $10 to move up, they charged him $10 and kept him in the same weight class. For this they should have had to refund everyone in that class $10 I think. I'll be hard pressed to give them a second chance at trying to get rich quick by basically stealing. Shame on them!

February 1, 2004
comments: to WOOD: PHS had a great start in the season placing high at the ironman, beast, and powerade. Since then they've lost some dual matches, that doesnt mean they will be "limping" into regionals. Hayes will be back soon, and Ewing will get over his illness. I dont know shyvers condition but I'm sure he wouldnt miss regionals or state for the world. A couple losses doesnt mean their slumping. Losing to 3 nationally ranked teams is nothing to cry about. Especially when 2 were top 10!!! They'll be ready, they want revenge for what happened a few weeks ago, they just gotta do it in 2 tournmants now, regionals and state. Theres still a while before those events. I guess we'll see what happens.

February 1, 2004
comments: What happened to shyver? how bad is it? hopefully not serious

February 1, 2004
comments: Superman, I found your page quite humorous but not the slightest bit educational. Knee block and kick, where do you come up with these names a Bruce Lee Movie, where i come from its called chop, wrist control and throwing the leg in, besides, the best way to get a leg in is a spiral ride, but why should I expect ....., GET A JOB!

February 1, 2004
comments: When are the results for the Clay County Invitational going to be posted held on Jan 31...
Editor's note: If I get results they will be posted...

February 1, 2004
comments: Actually very few of the Big Reds wrestle year round. There are a couple who do, but most of them meet at the beginning of the season and start from there. Most of them have wrestled for quite a few years, however.

February 1, 2004
comments: To answer all questions: If a wrestler is pinning another wrestler and the defensive wrestler screams to get out of the move the scoring depends on certain criteria.

1.If the ref has counted twice, the offensive wrestler is awarded two NF points plus one for a total of three.

2.If the ref has counted five times, the offensive wrestler is awarded three NF points plus one for a total of four points.

3.If the ref has counted twice and the hold becomes illegal, the scream is irrelavent because the match must be stopped for the illegal hold, the offensive wrestler is awarded two NF points while the move was legal and the defensive wrestler is awarded one penalty point.

4.If the ref has counted five times and the move then becomes illegal, the match is stopped (regaurdless of the scream), the offensive wrestler is awarded three NF points and the defensive wrestler is awarded one point for the illegal hold. The match resumes with the pinning wrestler on top and the defensive wrestler on bottom.

February 1, 2004
comments: I AM THE president for a league,after atending a tournament recently i am a litlle upset.FIrst of all they sent one of our kids home, and said he was not called in. THE bracket was not full it had 6 empty spaces.Then afer i get through the line i get to weigh ins they were wighing on bathroom scales. Several kids complained of wrong wights. my kid wighed 47 pounds we have been to 10 tournaments this year and he has never wighed 47.So instead of him moving up i could pay 10 dollers to stay in 7/8 45 this is crazy.If you are going to run a tournament you need to have scales.And you need to no waht you are doing. I WILL NEVER GO BACK THIS TOURNAMENT AND A LOT OF PEOPLE FILL THE SAME WAY!!!!!!!

February 1, 2004
comments: SOMEONE ASKED EARLIER ABOUT IF CROOKSHANKS WAS 215 OR HEAVY, I'M NOT SURE BUT I REMEMBER TALKING TO A CROOKSHANKS AT BRAXTON COUNTY WHO WRESTLED 215 WHO HAD A BROTHER WHO WRESTLED 275

February 1, 2004
comments: why did sam dennis go up to 160 for the raider cup? is he staying there? seems like a smart move, he would give goodrich all he wants for the regional title!!! go jackson co.

February 1, 2004
comments: SOuth and Phs wrestled on Jan. 21st. The latest ranking came out Jan. 26th. So anyone that can read knows the rankings came out after the match. They are updated every Monday on the WEB at amateurwrestlingnews.com Glad i could clear this up for you.

February 1, 2004
comments: Great meet, was at the CVAL's this weekend looks like Corie Gustines is back to championship form, haislip (103) from musselman bumped up to 112 to take on shetler and beat him 9-4, barrett (119)musselman bumped up to wrestled hedgesville (130) grim and won 15-2. WOW! foltz defeated jarvis in a highly contested match and the list goes on. Should be a really great regionals. Musselman where do you get all these freshman? (10) I beleive in all, and to inherit them with such talent. Should have a great team, probably the team to beat in region II, in a couple of years. Saw a couple of these freshman in tournament circuit and win youth championships last year and thought then that they would go far. Keep up the good work guys and gal.

February 1, 2004
comments: Why dont we just change this forum to PHS Or Parkersburg South wrestlingn forum! that is all you ever hear about. Maybe if other schools could wrestle all year round they could be good as you too. The real good teams are the ones who dont wrestle all year round and then come toghter as a team at the beggining of the season.

February 1, 2004
comments: Please look at the date the rankings came out. It is after the South dual. I overheard Bob Pruesse telling Schenerlein that the rankings are totally based on tournies and strength of schedule. He did not care that they lost duals. He also told him they would remain in the top 25 as long as they one the state. Get facts straight before posting on this board. That is why we have so many people fighting on here because noone knows what they are talking about. Hays grandfather passed away and Shyver got hurt. Ewings weight is fine, he was very sick Sat. morning and the coaches sent him home. Dont worry about the Big Reds and quit speculating about what is going on with them on a public forum.....its none of your business.

February 1, 2004
comments: It looks like PHS has already peak and are going to be limping in to the regionals. Hopefully they can turn it around. It's time to rally around each other and win a championship. GO BIG REDS!!!!!

February 1, 2004
comments: I just checked out ZenGrappling.com

The site is pretty cool...you should take notes Doc.

The "Super Thought" about the handshake is freakin hillarious.

Actually, the technical discussion has got some nasty leg entry moves, and a really good analysis of "variations". I'm pumped for more, and supposedly that technique of the week thing will be on mid Feb...which I guess is coming up. The Tape Review talks about a "vision Spladel" I don't know what that is, but it sounds pretty cool. Get it on there before Regionals Superman!

Only one question Superman, What does the "G" on the cast stand for?

February 1, 2004
comments: the 04 big reds are a tournament team, they have 7 wrestlers that carry them through the national tourneys and that can score with anybody in the country. that is why they are ranked 17th in the country. the national rankings is based on tournament teams.

February 1, 2004
comments: to phs fan:WE WILL SEE IN THREE WEEKS HOW READY THE big reds ARE, I THINK SOUTH WILL TAKE MORE WRESTLERS TO STATE THAN THE big reds. WHAT HAPPENED TO EWING AND HAYES? IF THEY ARE HAVING TROUBLE MAKING WEIGHT THE big reds ARE IN BIG TROUBLE.

February 1, 2004
comments: to the sissonville fan who said that they tied with the 103 pound forfeit that is incorrect because the score was 42 to 30 and even with the forfeit it would be 42 to 36 and Oak Hill would still win.

February 1, 2004
comments: how do i get a A-1 wrestling card

February 1, 2004
comments: Either some wrestlers ate too much over the last couple of weeks or the running has begun!

February 1, 2004
comments: this weekend at the cval's at martinsburg high school i seen grim from hedgesville was 125 is he going to be at this weight all year and for regionals or was it just for this weekend. grim and henry had a good match grim won in double overtime i think henry could beat him the way henry is wrestling now but someone tell me if he is staying there all year

February 1, 2004
comments: South Wrestling Fan: Thats what I'm afraid of, PHS might have more finalists, but you know what they say: you win it in the consolations. Which i see many south wrestlers placing, more than PHS. One year at the NCAA tournament, Minnesota did not have 1 champ i dont think they even had any in the finals, and they won the NCAA tournament through winning the consolations. But only time will tell, predictions are fun but you never know whats gonna happen at state. it'll be a good one though. And wrestling fan: I can assure you williamson will tell you mitch is the best wrestler he's ever faced. But he hung in there with him all 3 periods, not once getting pinned.

February 1, 2004
comments: Sorry for some erroneous info on the Erie-Big Red match. Dearman lost 1-0 in OT criteria to Tighe. I posted before I checked.

February 1, 2004
comments: big chuck: THE BIG REDS WILL BE READY FOR REGIONALS AND STATE, YOU JUST BETTER HOPE SOUTH DOESNT SURPASS THEIR "PEAK" RIGHT NOW. PHS WILL BE READY I PROMISE YOU.

February 1, 2004
comments: All the talk about the best wrestler in the state....there will 28 of them standing at the top of the podium next month in Huntington! Predictions are fun but remember there are upsets every year and the best wrestling and biggest upsets are on Friday nights at the state tourney.I have seen the state championship determined in the consolations rounds many times and if history repeats itself South may come away with the big prize based on their team balance.We'll see!

February 1, 2004
comments: I dont know if PHS will drop completely out of the AWN top 40, it was kind of obvious they'd lose to great bridge and st. edwards. But they'll definitely drop since they lost to the number 30 team. i saw that shyver only wrestled one match, and hayes and ewing did not wrestle at all. Does anyone know why? Hopefully not injuries, I heard that ewing might have not made weight. But congratultions to litton, he lost to davenport earlier and beat him today. And to dearman with his 2 OT match wins. Also litton beat davenport who was ranked 10th by AWN. The rough schedule is taking its toll for PHS, they need to get back in the state and get a feel for the WV wrestlers. It also sucks that the quad was cancelled last week.

February 1, 2004
comments: I have watched many wrestlers over the years. Mike Mason, Mark Samples, Ken Chertow to name a few. I have also had the opportunity to watch many Ohio and Pennsylvania wrestlers. In my opinion, Mitch Smith is the most dominant wrestler our state has ever seen. I would be willing to bet that Rader, Shyver, Litton or any others close to his weight would fall short of a victory. He is a champion. He has the eye of the tiger. And to whoever said he was a defensive wrestler, just ask the fine wrestler from Parkersburg last year and the year before how many times Mitchtook him down and let him up! There is no doubt that when the pressure increases, this young man steps to the challenge and dominates!

February 1, 2004
comments: Tough day for the Big Reds. They had to give up 12 points in every match due to two forfeits in 112 and 119. After the first match (Great Bridge) the 125 for Parkersburg was also a forfeit. It is tough to be down 18 points right off the bat. Some very good individual performances by the Big Reds in some of the matches. Rader looked good against Staylor for Great Bridge and eventually pinned him. Litton won in OT against number ten ranked Davenport from Great Bridge. Lindamood did a good job in his match against Hill, also from Great Bridge.

The St.Ed match had a few good matches. Rader won a major decision over his opponent Stark, who wasn't a bad wrestler for them (state runner-up last year). Litton lost a last second decision to Ward. Ward was awarded two stalling points during the match and was given a last second take-down to pull it out. Lindamood wrestled very aggresively against Didona and was even with him throughout the match until the last thirty seconds, losing 14-9. Thomas got another hard fought victory against Adkins, winning 4-3. Adkins was given points as the official felt Thomas was stalling. Dearman pulled out a victory 8-3, also having to overcome the official awarding the other wrestler stalling points. The official was very hasty in calling stalling on the PHS wrestlers. Litton, Thomas, and Dearman are not the kind of wrestlers who try to stall their way through a match, but that's not how the ref saw it.

Erie Prep had several good wrestlers and were also able to defeat the Big Reds, 48-20. Once again, Rader, Litton, Lindamood, Thomas, and Dearman wrestled well. Josh Bailey had a good match, but lost 10-6 to Moore. Rader pinned Garrity in the first, Litton won big 16-4 over Milano, Lindamood shut out Diener 8-0, and Thomas won by fall over Trojanovich. In the most exciting match of this dual, Dearman won in double overtime 1-0 over Tighe.

Great Bridge and St. Ed were wrestling in the evening session beginning at 7:30. St.Ed would seem to have the edge in this, but there were going to be some good matches.

February 1, 2004
Did Billy Hall Roane County wrestle Josh Morris Hoover at 130 at Roane Co? If so, who won? Also, did Sam Craddock Roane wrestle Robert Mullins Richwood at 215? Who won?

February 1, 2004
comments: Congratulations to Coaches Riggs & Hutchinson and Cammack Middle School who won the Cabell County Championship today from Milton Middle (Runners Up.) We wrestled well but you wrestled better. The last 5 years have we have each won every other year and we enjoy the rivalry. Also congratulations to our county champions from MMS - Nick Stewart @ 78 lbs (29-5)., Evan Thompson@ 84lbs (34-2). Sam Simmons @95lbs (30-10). - 3 time County champion and Shawn Beckett @ 165 (36-1) - I'm proud of you guys and of the whole team. You worked hard through illness, flooding, season ending injuries to some of our vital guys and other very difficult times. Good luck as you pursue your goals at Jr. States or in High School. To my 12 returning wrestlers - hit the books, hit the weights and hit the camps. Get some of your buddies into the sport. Next season will be here before we know it. To all our wrestling friends throughout the state - see you next season.
JL/MMS

February 1, 2004
comments: Yes, I think that Brandon Rader and Mitch Smith seperate themselves from everyone else. Both are so amazing and fun to watch. they do nothing but win, neither guy has lost to a WV opponent. The closest matches theyve had is gustines, and turnbull for rader. They just go out and dominate. Also for a big guy, Lou Thomas straight dominates to, could he be one of the best "big men" to come out of WV. Speaking of national rankings.....what is the highest anyone was ranked...or were any of the studs from a few years ago ever ranked?

February 1, 2004
comments: With all of this talk about the best wrestler in WV...it's great to have several great wrestlers to choose from. A case could be made for any one of them (Thomas, Radar, Mitch Smith, Shane Smith, Anthony Easter, Kyle Turnball) being named the best. But my choice would have to be Mitch Smith. He just makes it look easy. He seems to have the widest variety of moves and can hit them so quick his opponent doesn't seem to know what happened. Even in close matches he always seems to be in control. His school doesn't travel to Ohio and Pennsylvania like some of the other teams but he has shown he is not afraid of competition by traveling to national tournaments during the off season and doing very well at those tournaments. I believe he is a multiple time national champion. If he wasn't a Junior, I would have to give the edge to Mitch Smith for winning the Dutton Award.

February 1, 2004
comments: I must agree with the fan who witnessed the same crass behavior that I did, in a community where wrestling gets little respect or even coverage.....

February 1, 2004
comments: WRESTLING IS ALL ABOUT PEAKING AT THE RIGHT TIME, I THINK THE big reds HAVE ALREADY PASSED THEIR PEAK. I WILL GIVE THEM CREDIT, THEY HAVE WRESTLED ONE OF THE TOUGHEST SCHEDULES I HAVE EVER SEEN, BUT I THINK IT HAS TAKEN ITS TOLL ON THEM, IT IS A MIRACLE THAT THEY WRETLED SUCH A TOUGH SCHEDULE AND NO ONE HAS HADE A MAJOR INJURY, BUT THE SEASON IS NOT OVER YET.

February 1, 2004
comments: Now that PHS has been beaten again by nationally ranked opponents this weekend. They obviously are not in the top 30 ranking. Erie Prep was 30th and beat them. South was unranked and beat them. They have a good team but not a great team. How can this team be compared to other BIG REDS teams ('88) or any champions in the '90s. I know they will come to the states and be the odds on favorite against South, but I feel it will be a very close State Tourney this year!!!!

February 1, 2004
comments: TO:PHS
phs IS RANKED 17th NATIONALLY BECAUSE NO RANKINGS HAVE COME OUT SINCE SOUTH BEAT THEM. IT TAKES MORE THAN 4 DAYS TO MAKE A MAG. THERE FOR THE AMATEURWRESTLINGNEWS.COM THAT CAME OUT 4 DAYS AFTER SOUTH BEAT phs DON'T COUNT.

February 1, 2004
comments: I wonder if Herbert Hoover will get any recognition now after beating #9 Roane and #10 Greenbrier West in AA-A? Plus coming up 5 points short to the #4 team Braxton, without Mollahan the 135 pounder.To add to that Hoover has a duel record of 23-4. In my mind they should defenitly be in the top 10 or better.
MY OPINION FOR THE TOP 10
AA/A
1. Oak Glen
2. Cameron
3. Williamstown
4. Calhoun County
5. Shady Spring
6. Braxton County
7. Herbert Hoover*
8. Greenbrier West
9. Roane County
10.Wirt County
February 1, 2004
comments: The current debate over the Dutton Award and who the best wrestler in WV is, is laughable. Please, when are some of you going to wake up. Just because some wrestlers never get off the hillside, to wrestle anyone but the little kid next door, dont disrespect the sport by trying to convince others that they are worldbeaters. I dont care if they have a 300-0 record. Lou Thomas has placed 2nd, 2nd, and 1st in three of the top six tournaments in the nation. Along the way, beating several of the top wrestlers, including the number one ranked 215 in the nation. He is currently being recruited by most of the top wrestling programs in the country. Could we please find something really worthy of debate. Give me a break.

February 1, 2004
comments: I see some talk about the Dutton award on here . If i remember right it is based on what the wrester has done each year. I dont think it is based on past years. No way you can say right now who the best wrestler in the state is. After the State Tournament i am sure everyone will have an opinion. In my opinion it shoud be the best wrestler overall at all aspects of the sport. Good wrestling skills on you feet, on top and on bottom. Branden Rader, Kyle Walters,Chance Litton are all very good at all positions!! After the State tournament i may have to include other wrestlers. Good luck to all the wrestlers , especially the ones that have paid the price in the practice room and the classroom!!

February 1, 2004
comments: PHS is still ranked 17th because the rankings were printed before South beat them in a duel. It takes time to get the information to print , somewhere like 30 days . So it will be interesting to see where they are ranked the next publication!!

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page