West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February 2003 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 19, 2003
comments: ratteaser: Ya gotta win one every 10 years or so.....try 4 in a row!!

February 19, 2003
comments: Everyone in region 3 watch out for midland trails 112 josh workman (not hurt) 125 keith kenney 145 drew fitzpatrick 171 bud white (Not Hurt) 215 randy stroupe 275 kris roberts
I belive all will go to states
Lets go to states trail and see if we cant turn some heads boys

February 19, 2003
comments: can someone please post the results from the dupont youth tournament this past weekend at riverside high school.thanks

February 19, 2003
comments: I have been watching many young men trying their best since December, and it is finally at the end of the road. I would like to wish these words of wisdom upon all that read it: "Let the boys wrestle." I know we all have our opinions of who should be #1, but to all of us parents out there, we would just assume consider our boy #1. I happen to be fortunate enough to have a great son that is around many great wrestlers at his school. He has done the best he could all year and has made me proud, win or lose. So, enough with the predictions. With only two weekends left, the most important two, let our boys wrestle and end all of these petty discussions.

February 19, 2003
comments: Does anyone know anything about the region 1 tournament in Wheeling. What is the starting time? Location change?

February 19, 2003
comments: state champions
103-hayes(he CAN beat easter)
112 shyver-very close with turnbull
119 rader easy
125 grogg
130 easter
135 knapp
140 smith
145 hayes
152 lord
160 casto
171 mayle
189 geary
215 thomas
hwt dearman
REGION 1... 7 state champs

February 19, 2003
comments: This is just my thought but I think the O.V.A.C. is harder than some of the weight classes at state. But, the reason I say that is because i ehar alot of talk about people sayin the o.v.a.c. is a joke.

February 19, 2003
comments: The OVAC (Oak Glen, Cameron, Brooke, John Marshall, Madonna, Weirton, Tyler, Wheeling Park, Magnolia, etc...) will have more than 2 champions!!!

February 19, 2003
comments: I dont see why you didnt post my message about doing away with regionals and just having everyone wrestle in state. What in the Hell was wrong with saying that?????????????
Editor's note: Well, er, um, it is down the page. Unless the one that is posted is from somebody else wanting to do away with regionals, but I can only recall one post with such sentiment in recent weeks....

February 19, 2003
comments: To the person who thinks the MSAC tour. was the weekest. You may be right but you will see the MSAC crown 10 individual champions! Name another confrence that will have more then 2.

February 19, 2003
comments: GOOD LUCK GREENBRIER EAST WRESTLERS IN THE REGIONALS THIS WEEK-END YOU KNOW WE WILL BE BEHIND YOU ALL THE WAY. DO YOUR BEST THE REST WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF. YOU ARE TRULY THE BEST GROUP OF YOUNG MEN TO REPRESENT OUR SCHOOL AND WE ARE PROUD OF YOU ALL. I KNOW ONE COACH THAT SHOULD BE UP FOR COACH OF THE YEAR NO OTHER THAN YOU GUESSED COACH PICHENPAUAGH HE IS ONE SUPER GUY WHO HAS BEEN THERE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY. TAKE A BOW COACH YOU ARE THE BEST.{EVEN IF YOU GRADUATED FROM MARSHALL}.

February 19, 2003
comments: With the weather conditions being what they are does anyone know if and how regionals will be effected? Will they all go on as scheduled or be cancelled or postponed? Just wondering what the situation could be. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.
Editor's note: The only official communication regarding the regionals I have received is from Dr Welker regarding the weight allowance. I have received a rumor that the site of one of the regionals has been changed, but I'll not publish any such information unless I get it from a named reliable source. I just talked to my family in Roane County and learned that they have been without electricity since the weekend. Thus, there may be many computers in the state which are out of commission at present. According to my usage stats, I see that readership is off about 50% so far this week.

February 19, 2003
comments: Does anyone know when there going to put up the new polls.
Editor's note: WV-Mat does not plan on putting up any more polls this year. Don't know if the coaches will release any more or not.

February 19, 2003
comments: I WANT TO TAKE TIME AND WISH ALL THE WRESTLERS FROM GREENBRIER COUNTY GOOD LUCK. WHETHER IT BE WEST OR EAST REPRESENT THIS COUNTY WELL. I HOPE YOU ALL DISPLAY GREAT SPORTMANSHIP WIN LOOSE OR DRAW. ONCE AGAIN GOOD LUCK TO THE BLUE AND GOLD AND GREEN AND GOLD, WE LOVE YOU ALL.

February 19, 2003
comments: How many wins does Danny Lord need to get to 200.

February 19, 2003
comments: Toughest of the Tough
1. 25 mile radius of PKB
2. 40 mi radius of BRK
3. 40 mi radius of FAIR
4. Far east
5. Central & Southwest
6. Southern
There have been great wrestlers from all areas though. From the Quarter Finals on, the championship brackets will have the names of those who paid the TRUE PRICE. Where their from is secondary.
Good Luck to all.......Spot the Wrestlers

February 19, 2003
comments: I think that Whiteman and Bartrug will go for First and Second at Regionals and that it will be a reallly good match!!!!
Good luck to both of you!!!

February 19, 2003
comments: region II AA/A predictions anyone?

February 19, 2003
comments: if you want to talk about a weak tour the msac was the weakest all year

February 19, 2003
comments: South's lineup that was posted was almost correct. Sean smith will wrestle at 145 and Ryan Mather will be at 140.

February 19, 2003
comments: I think PHS will win the state easy. I also think they will have 6 state champions and a total 13 kids place.

February 19, 2003
comments: Regional 1 Predicitons AA/A (Post-Seeding)
103:Valles vs. Cumpston
112:Goneau vs. Antill
119:Bartrug vs. Whiteman
125:Biddle vs. O'Neil
130:Mahan vs. Dankovchik
135:Yoders vs. McIntosh
140:Elder vs. Whittington
145:Flowers vs. Bennett
152:Tracewell vs. Wharton
160:Smith vs. Stewart
171:Lauderman vs. Gieskie
189:Potts vs. McNeely
215:Hashman vs. Whitehill
275:McGillian vs. Manning

3rd and 4th
103:Miller vs. Bartrug
112:Hintzman vs. Gianni
119:Biddle vs. Baker
125:Wright vs. Northcraft
130:Hughes vs. DiMarco
135:Varner vs. McGlumphy
140:Whipkey vs. Everett
145:Cumpston vs. Merico
152:Hughes vs. King
160:Railing vs. Hashman
171:Northcraft vs. Cooper
189:Miller vs. Blake
215:Hunt vs. Gessler
275:Fegal vs. Shepherd

Oak Glen 14
Cameron 12
Williamstown 7
St.Marys 7
Tyler 6
Weir 4
Hundred 3
Madonna 2
Magnolia 1

Big matches
103-Valles vs. Miller, Cumpston vs. Valles
112-Goneau vs. Antill
119-Whiteman vs. Biddle, Stoneking vs. Baker, Gianessi vs. Baker
125-O'Neil vs. Wright
130-DiMarco vs. Dankovchik, Dankovchik vs. Mahan, Hughes vs. DiMarco
135-Yoders vs. McIntosh, Richie vs. Kouns, McGlumphy vs. Varner, Varner vs. Richie, Kouns vs. McGlumphy
140-Elder vs. Whittington, Everett vs. Whittington, Whipkey vs. Wright, Whipkey vs. Brewer, Everett vs Brewer, Everett vs. Whipkey
145-Cumpston vs. Bennett, Cumpston vs. Merico
152-Tracewell vs. Wharton (/insert Hughes), Tracewell vs. King, Wharton vs. Hughes, Hughes (/insert Wharton) vs. King
160-Stewart vs. Smith, Stewart vs. Railing, Railing vs. Hashman
171-Gieskie vs. Northcraft, Cooper vs. Owings
189-Zucker vs. Blake, McNeely vs. Miller
215-Hashman vs. Whitehill, Whitehill vs. Hunt
275-McGillian vs. Manning, Manning vs. Fegal, Shepherd vs. Loar, Fegal vs. Loar, Fegal vs. Shepherd
Have fun, and good luck to all!

February 19, 2003
comments: What does everyone think about 140 @ Regionals? Duncan from Point is good. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

February 19, 2003
comments: What does everyone think about 140 @ Regionals? Duncan from Point is good. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

February 19, 2003
comments: To the person that said region 4 from last year is the weakest in the AA states, you might be taking back that comment come March 1 at about 6 o'clock. We'll see, good luck to everybody in the state and hopefully there wont be any injuries so we can see the true champions.

February 19, 2003
comments: I've been watching the arguments about what region is toughest for some time now. With nothing better to do this wrestling season than watch and considering the snow days, I had spare time to devise a way to break down each region and prove Region 1 is toughest. All the results I had were based on the 2002 State Tournament. Yes, I realize that there have been some changes to regions etc but I think this proves that Region 1 is by far the strongest region in the state.

AAA

Region 1 (Parkersburg, Parkersburg South, John Marshall, Brooke, Wheeling Park, Morgantown & University)
State Champions: 8
State Runner Ups: 6
Place Winners: 26
Total points in State Tour: 661.50
Total place winners: 34

Region 2 (North Marion, Preston, Fairmont Senior, East Fairmont, Mussleman, Jefferson, Maritnsburg & Hedgesvile)
State Champions: 2
State Runner Ups: 4
Total points in State Tour: 397.50
Place Winners: 20
Total place winners: 22

Region 3 (Buckhannoan-Upshur, Ripley, Nicholas County, Woodrow Wilson, Greenbrier East, Elkins, Riverside & Robert C Byrd)
State Runner Ups: 0
Total points in State Tour: 217
Place Winners: 8
Total place winners: 10

Region 4 (Cabell Midland, Huntington, Nitro, St. Albans, Spring Valley, Hurricane & George Washington)
Total points in State Tour: 306
Place Winners: 15
Total place winners: 17

AA/A

Region 1 (Oak Glen, Cameron, Weir, Madonna, Bishop Donahue, Wheeling Central, Magnolia, Tyler Consolidated, St. Marys, Hundred, Williamstown & Clay-Battelle)
State Champions: 10
Total points in State Tour: 719.5
Place Winners: 26
Total place winners: 36

Region 2 (Petersburg, Grafton, South Harrison, Frankfort, Lewis County, Keyser, Philip Barbour, Liberty Harrison, Berkely Springs, Wirt County & Ritchie County)
State Champions: 1
State Runner Ups: 5
Total points in State Tour: 361.5
Place Winners: 20
Total place winners: 21

Region 3 (Liberty, Independance, Oak Hil, Midland Trail, Greenbrier West, Iaeger, Big Creek, Meadow Bridge, Fayetteville, Wyoming East, Shady Spring & Logan)
State Champions: 0
State Runner Ups: 2
Total points in State Tour: 11
Place Winners: 247.5
Total place winners: 11

Region 4 (Point Pleasant, Calhoun, Ravenswood, Winfield, Sissonville, Wahama, Richwood, Webster County, Clay County, Roane County & Herbert Hoover)
State Champions: 3
Total points in State Tour: 268.5
Place Winners: 14
Total place winners: 17

All Divisions (combined AAA, A/AA)

Region 1
State Champions: 18
State Runner Ups: 10
Place Winners: 52
Total points in State Tour: 1381

Region 2
State Champions: 3
State Runner Ups: 9
Place Winners: 40
Total points in State Tour: 795

Region 3
Place Winners: 19
Total points in State Tour: 464.50

Region 4
State Champions: 5
State Runner Ups: 6
Place Winners: 29
Total points in State Tour: 574.50

February 19, 2003
comments: First off i would like to say good luck to all the wrestlers this comming weekend it can be very stressful, I know. But a speacial good luck to Point this weekend. Good luck guys, just go out there a wrestle hard thats all I ask.

LETS GO SENIORS (YOUR LAST RUN)
Jason McCoy - J-Bird!!! no-one deserves this more than you kid, you have worked your butt off all year. Don't let anyone take this away from you. Good Luck buddy.
Nick Russell - haha, Keep your head!!! lol, you got your chance this weekend at the guy you want. Wrestle hard and you will be regional champ, and maybe ever more (at States).
Nick Duncan - You already know what you have to do. Good Luck. If you keep your head and do what you know how to do, Ill be cheerin you on March 1st around 7:00 or so. Good Luck.
Jesse Nott - good luck this weekend and next weekend jess, just go out there and give it your all.
Andy Knopp - good luck andy, make this your best year man...wrestle hard and make it to state this year.
Also good luck to all the other BIG BLacks this weekend!!! And to the other teams this weekend, Roane, Hoover, Calhoun among other.

February 18, 2003
if schools are cancelled all the way up till Friday will they still have the region tourneys?

February 18, 2003
comments: i go to a neutral school i guess u could say, so im not biased, i traditionally cheer for whoever wrestles against these teams :) hehe, no offense, and i have seen both snoberger and morris of braxton wrestle at various times this season, and whoever said that morris wouldnt stop snoberger from a state title..... hehehehehe have u ever seen a wrestling match before?

February 18, 2003
comments: From: Eric Bosley (real Frankfort Parent)
If a Frankfort parent actually wrote (which I doubt) the previous post attributed to "Frankfort Parent" please don't involve my son in your ignorance. We like to think that we've raised Devin to be confident about himself not conceited and arrogant which this post portrays. I've had the opportunity to talk with Casey and Jeff at matches and they are two excellent young men both with state champion wrestling ability (already proven once by Casey). Good luck to my son Devin and also to Casey and Jeff at Regionals and States.

comments: To whomever wrote the comments about the three Frankfort wrestlers walking through states, I ,and my two team mates, dont appreciate it. There isn't a person who is guaranteed a state title in any weight class and we realize that. A championship can only be achieved through hard work and dedication to the sport and we would like to wish everyone luck at the state tournament and let the best man win. Once again we are sorry about that statement, it was not us.
Editor's note: Sorry, Devin. I'll take the post down. I think it may have been sent in from some well meaning fan, but you sure have a point. Good luck to your and your team mates this weekend...
Doc

February 18, 2003
comments: To:Wrestlingfan
The Hedgesville wrestlers have been given the opportunity to again be under the direction of Coach Whittington.. Many of the Hedgesville followers are greatful to him for the many hours that he spends with the team. Each year many of us hope that a replacement is not found.. His shoes are hard to fill!!!! Thanks Coach Whittington..

February 18, 2003
comments: Region 1 Finals
103 HAYS PHS VS KELLY SOUTH
112 SHYVER PHS VS TURNBULL UNIVERSITY
119 RADER PHS VS GARVIN MORGANTOWN
125 GROGG SOUTH VS MCFARLAND BROOKE
130 LITTON PHS VS SHAW BROOKE
135 KNAPP PHS VS CAMPBELL UNIVERSITY
140 DURBIN BROOKE VS WILLIAMSON PHS
145 GEORGE PHS VS DAVIS BROOKE
152 BLISS BROOKE VS NORMAN SOUTH
160 LINDAMOOD PHS VS WALTERS SOUTH
171 DOWLER PHS VS PICKENS SOUTH
189 TOMINACK WHEELING PARK VS EWING JOHN MARSHALL
215 THOMAS PHS VS HERCULES WHEELING PARK
HWT DEARMAN PHS VS DORTON SOUTH

February 18, 2003
comments: I think it was the Watcher who said that Sampson from calhoun would beat Mahan from Clay,and go on to beat leithead.Let me remind you that Mahan has beat Sampson 2 out of 3 times,and if Sampson does happen to beat Mahan,he's definetly not gonna beat Leithead.

February 18, 2003
comments: Well, if you are talking AA powerhouses, and you DON'T mention Point, you are truly a non-fan. If you have seen them at all this season, you would clearly see a team that is going to dominate MANY teams at state. MANY is that word that is really big...so ya don't miss it. I have seen them from top to bottom, wrestle with some of the toughest names in both AA and AAA. Their 140 is by far the best in the state, with their 130, 135, 145, 152, 171, 215, and HWT definitely going to make alot of noise at regionals and all of which have the ability to place in states. So, if you want to talk powerhouse...talk Oak Glen...and POINT PLEASANT...

February 18, 2003
comments: In the last six years, AA State Tournament:
Region (as of 2001-02 alignment), Upsets, (Upset)
I: 13 (5)
II: 7 (5)
III: 12 (5)
IV: 1 (18)
I don't think that will support your case as Region 1 being the toughest, but it will support that the former region IV (Indy, GW, etc.) is the weakest.

February 18, 2003
comments: In the days when then people want full inclusion. People want everyone to participate. Why dont we just do away with regionals and have everyone wrestle in the state tournement. In AAA there is what less then 30 teams and in AA something like 45. I bet you could use a 32 man bracket for both of them and still wrestle the meet in 3 days. It would bring in even more money into Huntington with every wrestler in the state going. More schools, more parents and fans. The only problem you would have with this is seeding it. Yet in a small state like West Virginia i am sure they could seed it.

February 18, 2003
comments: Hello. I am the person who said Nitro's tournament was a tea-party. I only was trying to respond to someone's letter who said the WSAZ's was weaker than Nitro's. I think, that compared to the WSAZ's it was weaker.

February 18, 2003
comments: Im from Greenbrier West but i want to make a comment about Josh Neal from Shady. I have watched the kid wrestle since he has started. And i give him all the credit in the world he has improved a lot over the years and really impressed me at the coalfield conference. I dont think there is a kid in the state that can beat him when he wrestles his best. Good luck at regionals and states Josh and stay focused

February 18, 2003
comments: To: Guy
Richardson from CM did wrestle Hutchinson from Hunt & pinned him in the second period.

February 18, 2003
comments: For everybody spelling my name wrong-- it's Ackison, not Atkinson or whatever, and I wrestle for Oak Hill, and moved up from 135 to 140. So please spell my name right!

February 18, 2003
comments: I see that injuries have caused some high schools to lose wrestlers during the season. Could a ninth grader who wrestled Jr high all season move up to the high school team for regionals?

February 18, 2003
comments: i don't know enough about wood county wrestling to have a favorite, but who's gonna allow ratteaser at center ring, anyway? and graplin guy, you must be joking about superman's predictions. he's as accurate as a water pistol 300 yards away.

February 18, 2003
comments: Jared Walters, a former student and wrestler at Cabell Midland High School, just qualified this weekend to participate in the NJCAA Nationals in Rochester, Minnesota, on February 28 - March 1, 2003. Jared was previously a state champion in 1999 and placed in the top four in his four years at Cabell Midland. He presently wrestles for Lassen College in Susanville, California, where he is a Sophemore. He qualified for the Nationals by beating his opponent 9-0 in the NJCAA Regionals held in Tuscon, Arizona. Good Luck in the Nationals Jared!!!!
mom

February 18, 2003
comments: Region 1 a/aa Championship Matches My predictions
103 Valles vs miller
112 Ganeau vs Antill
119 Biddle vs Bartrug
125 Biddle vs Wright
130 Mahan vs Dimarco
135 Mcintosh vs Yoders
140 Whittington vs Elder
145 Merico vs Flowers
152 Hughes vs Wharton
160 Smith vs Stewart
171 Lauderman vs Northcraft
189 Potts vs Miller
215 Hashman vs Whitehill
275 Fegal vs Mcguillin

February 18, 2003
comments: Ok, i think you missed the point on what Region is the toughest. Yes Oak Glen, Cameron, Williamstown, and St. Mary's all have close to full squads and will qualify most of their team. But it just is not about teams here it is about the individuals. Look at Hundred, they only have 5 kids on their team, yet all five are pretty good. It is impossible for them to win a dual match cause of the forfeits they give up. Weir has a few outstanding wrestlers, Tyler Consolidated has a few good wrestlers, oh yeah Magnolia has a few itself. And while I am it Weirton Madonna has a few outstanding wretlers, like their 103 lbs. So it is not easy for quality wrestlers who are good make it to state. So you can not tell me or even think that it is easier to make it to states in Region 1. ADMIT IT, I AM CORRECT IN THAT REGION 1 IS THE TOUGHEST REGION!!! If you do not think so then Like I said before, Prove It!! Show me and everyone else on here the Statistics. You know it is funny but I cannot count the number of times in the past 3 years or mor that a Region 1 4th place finisher beat a Champion from another Region. Maybe that is what I'll do I'll go through and check that out and let you know what that statistic is. And that would prove my point about how the 5th and 6th place finishers are better than most people that are at States. Ok enough from me. I watch all regions and no I am not from Region 1. Our team is in Region 3, I am just observing the facts.

February 18, 2003
comments: to tell you the truth all the people saying things about people trash talkin are doin nothin but trash talking them selves this is a place for wrestling fans to put whut they think about the sport and trash talkin comes along with it. just let it be if you do not have no to say about the sport besides stop trash talking atleast when there talkin trash its about wrestling. And im sure after you stop trash talking youll start correcting peoples grammer...

February 18, 2003
comments: whoever said that Matt Easter has beat all the people in the state that would give him compotition and they weren't even close, let me recap your memory, I think I recall a match with Chance Litton at the MSAC that was only 7-5.

February 18, 2003
comments: Would someone please tell me if Richardson beat Hutchinson at the Huntington match on the 13th, And if he did what was the score?

February 18, 2003
comments: To East Fan: I agree -- the trash talk needs to stop, so heed your words. East started all the trash talk about West being good for nothing but snow days, so East needs to put a stop to it. We have wonderful wrestlers (and other athletes), bands, choirs, students, parents, people, communities, and schools. We are happy living in the western end of the county !!! and we have A LOT TO BE PROUD OF!!!!! GOOD LUCK TO GREENBRIER WEST AT THE REGIONALS!!!!

February 18, 2003
comments: I wanted to wish all the Oak Glen wrestlers and coaches good luck this coming weekend. You guys have worked so hard this year and it's time to show the state again who the best wrestling team is. Go get 'em BEARS!!! Good luck to all the other wrestlers also.

February 18, 2003
comments: The South lineup for the regionals is
103 Aaron Kelley
112 Felix Osunna Cotto
119 Chad Porter
125 Shane Grogg
130 Steven Boone
135 Shawn Smith
140 Sean Smith
145 I don't know
152 Codi Norman
160 Kyle Walters he' better he wrestled in the duals verse Fairmont Senior and Marietta he pinned the Fairmont boy and got a forfeit from Marietta
171 Bryce Pickens
189 Curt Radcliff
215 Josh Davis
275 Josaiha Dorton

February 18, 2003
comments: is walter back yet is he goin to be back

February 18, 2003
comments: I see Superman has promised to make his annual predictions...We haven't heard to much from this guy this season. I for one am interested to see what the man of steel has in store for us. As always I'm sure his predictions will be full of humor, colorful nicknames, and suprisingly accurate descriptions about how the state tournament will unfold.

February 18, 2003
comments: I dont know why people are predicting the 130 weight class for AAA because Matt Easter is going to beat everyone and he all ready has beaten everyone that would give him compotition and they werent close matches either.

February 18, 2003
comments: Sat. March 15 Big 12 Wrestling Champ. 5:00pm Tape Delay
Sat. March 15 Big Ten Wrestling Champ. 7:00pm Tape Delay
Sun. March 16 EIWA Wrestling Champ. 1:00pm Tape Delay
Sat. March 22 NCAA Semifinals 1:00pm Tape Delay,

comments: Thursday, February 27 from 7-9 PM at Sissonville Middle School. This clinic is sponsored by the Mountain State Junior Wrestling League. To register contact rotyler1dt@aol.com or 304-988-0813.

Ken Chertow's Gold Medal Summer Wrestling Camp will be July 13-17 at the Charleston Civic Center Inn. It is for wrestlers ages 6-18. To learn more call Chuck and Bev Easter 304-776-6650 or visit kenchertow.com.

February 18, 2003
comments: I herd wat the wvwrestler said about josh neal winning states and i agree and believe that its is very true.And graplergirl i think that you are right in a way, there really shouldnt be any trash talkin unless its a serious matter.But to me and 90% of the people on this website think that wrestling is a serious matter.

February 18, 2003
comments: Congratulations to Josh Clark (Berkeley Springs, 189). At a meet in Martinsburg on the 14th, he broke two school records- # of wins in his varsity career/# of pins in a single season- during the same match against Joe Philips of Hedgesville. Good job, sweetie!

February 18, 2003
comments: Please do not call Point a Powerhouse in AA because they have only been in AA for this year and have even lost to 2 or 3 AA teams wether in tournaments or Duals. So please do not call them a Powerhouse, if you are gonna call anyone a Powerhouse then give that name to OaK Glen. Thank You

February 17, 2003
comments: You did see Coach Whittington at Winner's Choice this year. He actually retired two seasons ago, but decided to stay on at Hedgesville because of the school's inability to find another coach. Whenever, IF ever, Hedgesville finds another coach, Coach Whittington will finally be able to enjoy his retirement.

February 17, 2003
When will we know the seedings for regionals this week?

February 17, 2003
comments: I love wrestling and i don't see the point in trash talking USUALLY. unless it is a serious matter. but all this petty stuff is stupid and there is no need for it.

February 17, 2003
comments: To PHS fan:
South is the most dominant wrestling school in Wood County. PHS is the most dominant football school in Wood County. Once in a blue moon, the dominance can switch, and this is one of those years. PHS will win it this year, but the overall trend will be in South's favor in wrestling. Just like the football trend for PHS. Deal with the facts.
Good luck to both schools at the state tournament.

February 17, 2003
comments: ratteaser would like to say..this is a great page..and i can take all the hits leveled at me...because i have waited for phs to have a team that i hope crushes my rival...this is sports..and yes...i'll be in the center ring at huntington regardless of wether my boys win or lose..but this year..look for ratteaser to stand with arms raised in a V!!

February 17, 2003
comments: If McCoy is number one why isn't Scarbro over McCoy when Scarbro beat him ?????????????????????hum Someone tell me that one.

February 17, 2003
comments: I think your confused or just put the wrong day because parkersburg didnt wrestle saturday , they wrestled thursday against Herbert Hoover and Nitro...but Knapp still did a great job.

February 17, 2003
comments: Hey, a lot is two words! (i.e. "A lot of you don't have a clue."). Not one....alot, like most of you spell it.

February 17, 2003
comments: To South Wrestling Fan: You said in a 17 Feb post that Seth Young at 145 is gone. What did you mean by that - out for the season or just the duals against FS and Marietta? If anyone has the projected South lineup for the regionals please post it.

February 17, 2003
comments: There is no talk on here about the Predictions for the 135lbweight class in the highschool division AA I think that for AA in the state tournament We will see Chapman (shadySprings) and Atkinson(unknown). Thes are both excellent athletes and both maintain a great GPA in school. Which has noaffect on their wrestling skills. I would like to see some talk and gossip about Chapman and Atkinson get stirred up on here.

February 17, 2003
comments: Dose anyone know if Wes Young of Parkersburg South will be back for regionals??

February 17, 2003
comments: I think Point wrestling team has a lot of talent. Most of the kids on this team work really hard to be the best! The boy at 140 Duncan {I do belive is his name}is very talented but needs to know that losing come to everyone. He is good but talent can only go so far your heart needs to be in it! So on this note Good Luck to The Point's team and all who Wrestle at Relionals!

February 17, 2003
comments: in reply to the person who stated that jason mccoy from point could beat timmy mccoy from wirt...point and wirt wrestled and timmy beat jacob...i believe timmy mccoy has earned that number 1 ranking.

February 17, 2003
comments: WVer in Georgia: South wrestled Fairmont Sr. and Marietta last Thursday evening and only lost two matches,one to each team.Yes, South has juggled their line up around.Seth Young(the #1 ranked 145 lber)is gone.Wes Young is still out at 215.What I heard last week was that Steve Boone and Zac McCray may wrestle off for the 130 weight class with Sean Smith moving to 135.That will surely be up to the coaches and I'm sure they will do what is best for the team.It is nice that Doc has this site for you to stay abreast of all the happenings in WV wrestling.Take care!

February 17, 2003
comments: This is for the person who asked about Brennon Chambers. He had reconstructive shoulder surgery before the season. Thats a huge loss for Oak Glen.

February 17, 2003
comments: If you are questioning the strength of region 1, then you are nuts. Every year near half of the State Champions are from Region 1. Last year 10 of the weight classes in AA were won by Region 1 wrestlers. That is a pretty amazing statistic. And the year before that, 11 weight classes were won by Region 1 wrestlers. And if you look at the team scores of the past two years, Region 1 had 3 of the top 5 teams for the past two years. I think that is enough said on that topic.

February 17, 2003
comments: I think that everybody should just wait til the regionals are over and stop trash talking everyone. All that really matters is what happens between 2 wrestlers on the mat and not in anyones mind. Whatever happens happens., and if the best guy looses he had a bad day and maybe next time he will have a better one. Whoever places goes to the states it doesn't matter who anyone wants to win all that matters is what hand the referee raises in the end.

February 17, 2003
comments: i believe every conf has a few liget wrestlers but winning the state championship is the main goal. the campion will come from wood ct.

February 17, 2003
comments: Congratulations to Derrick Knapp on his comeback win Saturday night. Its great to see you were able to make it back. Everyone knows you can still win states , including yourself, so go out there and prove it! 2 weeks left....work hard, believe in yourself.We're all behind you!

February 17, 2003
comments: This is to the person who thought region I was overated. Those top four teams you said should probably be in the top five and will at states. You say too that this region doesnt have anybody else. You maybe right but what other region has more than 4 top 20 teams? I think region I is the hardest this year and be the best show on the weekend. Go to st marys to watch region I.

February 17, 2003
comments: OG beat Brooke 58-18 (Brooke forfeited 6 matches) and OG beat Weirton 80 - 0 (Weirton forfeited 5 matches)...

February 17, 2003
comments: I wrote earlier with a question. Saw Whittington from Hedgesville at the winner's choice this year. what gives? thought he was retiring. ive been following the eagles somewhat and was just wondering. any info would be great! thanks.

February 17, 2003
comments: you know south fan...i do believe in the paper that it did say 9 of those championships came before south was a school, so why even repeat what was said? I have heard of people reading something and comprehending it the first time. i think you might just be a little upset. Over what? I really don't know. plus, i've heard a lot this year about south being a young team. please don't use this as a built in excuse. If you lose, you lose. If you win, you win. and that's, that. phs had a young team last year, no one said anything about that.

February 17, 2003
comments: the big blacks did not wrestle half of the varsity team aganist wirt last thursday. and wirt is acting like they have won the states. in my opnion wirt is a very good AA team, but point was a good AAA team that has dropped to AA where they have become a(n) POWERHOUSE and they have showed that aganist all the top AA teams. there really is no comparison between wirt and point when the wrestle both varsity's!

February 17, 2003
comments: TOP 10 Conferences!!!
1. OVAC
2. MSAC
3. NCAC
4. LKC
5. SEOAL
6. CVAL
7. Mason - Dixon
8. Coalfield Conference
9. PVC
10. Big 10

February 17, 2003
comments: WIRT co. did beat up on point pretty bad, but come on give point some credit, have their team didnt come.

February 16, 2003
comments: I dont belive that Region 1 in AA is as tough as everyone says it is. When u get past Oak Glen, Williamstown, Cameron and St Marys. I beleive that this region is highly overated. Yes there might be 4 teams here that crack the top ten but after that is there one that will crack the top 20? Also reading on here someone was saying that the 5th and 6th place kids in region 1 are better then half the state. Well that person must not have been to very many Region 1 tourements. There might be 1 or 2 kids in this region that it holds true but not for most. Does it really make a region strong cuz there is two or three teams that are stong or does it give them an easier road to state?

February 16, 2003
comments: I've seen alot of wrestling this year and read alot that has been posted on this sight.Wood Co. seems they are the only one's in the state.Granted PHS and PSHS are excellent teams. Take a look around the state and you will see some of the best scattered across the state.Take a look at my conference,NCAC,possibly they have 5 to 7 legitamate state champions. Eastern and Northern panhandle team has 3 to 5 each.
February 16, 2003
comments: Superman: You say "you" have the most accurrate predictions on here?!?! Go back to the forum last Feb. when you and I picked the state champions and it was not even close! You even picked Kyle Walters to finish 5th and Lou Thomas 6th! Better do a little more research this time round!

February 16, 2003
comments: Did Oak Glen and Brooke wrestle on Sat?? If they did does anyone what the score was.

February 16, 2003
good luck to all the NCAC wrestlers this week and next. Our conference will be well represented in Huntington - as usual.

February 16, 2003
comments: I would like to thank Dr.Miller for giving us this page. it doesn't matter how many people give him grief, he still runs this page and keeps it up to date to the best of his ability. to the ppl who complain about not posting what they say, lets use this as an example. say i am joe bloggs from richvale high. my brother john bloggs is a good 140 at RHS. he wrestles this kid from rival school drysdale high school named tim smith. he loses is a controvertial match. well i am upset about the match b/c the referee missed a controvertial call. so given the match is over, i am upset so i jump right on here and release a post. i mention how the referee needs glasses and how smith is lucky and he isnt any good and so on. well, first off, that is a verbal assault. any good sportsman does not verbally assault another, it has nothing to do with doc. say smith or the ref has a problem with this. who is responsible? well in actuality, i am not as responsible as doc because he controls what the public eye can see here. second of all, its not your page. you dont do the work to keep it up everyday, so why do you get a say in what's posted or not? that's right you dont. we're not going to change our page for you. wrestling is a sport, not a set of conspiracies which you try to make it out to be. third of all, this site is my view should be for congratulations and information. if i have such a big problem with the match, i should probably talk to the ref about it (althought that wont change anything either). now where do i really have any room to talk? ok, look. once upon a time, my senior yr i was #1 in WV going into the state tournament. i won regions easily and was confident i would get my state title. in my semi-finals match i dropped a decision by a point due to a call where after watching it on film legally no 2 back points should have even been rewarded. but the point is god wanted me to lose that match for some reason. yes, it may have been a mistake by the ref. yes, he may have made some bad calls. in the end, it was his decision and i knew in my heart that i should have won that match but even furthur down in my heart, i knew for the good of the sport i had to let it go and not get on here and complain about the ref or the other kid stalling.god has a bigger plan for me in life and i accept that. it happened, its over, what could i do? all i could ask for is a pity party and i know any wrestler with any respect wouldnt want that. 11 years of wrestling and my dream was lost in one controvertial call. life goes on, i still love wrestling today and i will try to help anyone i can get to the top of the mountain. it is really a shame that the people on here complain about the stuff they do. consider how many people would be upset if doc decided to stuff the forum because of complaints (possibly yours). then you wouldnt even have anywhere to complain if you felt the need. so i guess i'm asking for him since i know he wouldnt ask you to stop sending posts. i am asking that everyone give it a rest. these are teenage kids and this site is supposed to be fun and informative. not derrogatory. a kid should feel good about himself reading posts congratulating him instead of saying how he's no good because he cant beat so and so. If you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say nothing. maybe this is "Dr.Miller's" page, but i dont see you abandoning it or anyone else for that matter. so he must be doing a pretty good job eh? (smile)
Editor's note: Well, I have received a number of posts in the same vein, and have not posted them, because this forum should not be about itself, but should be about the sport. However, someone put so much time in to the above post, I hated to just delete it. Thanks to others who have responded with similar sentiments.

I am quite sure that there are some perfectly innocent posts which don't make it on here. I have to spend some time reading between the lines to see if there is a hidden something going on. For instance, a few years ago I received a post from a parent thanking everyone in sight for his son's success in the sport - the grade school principal, the pee-wee coach, the assistants, the guidance counselor, everyone was thanked. I thought, "Here is a nice positive post." Problem was, everyone got thanked except the wrestler's current high school coach, and this post was in reality a dis on the coach. And I heard about it.

I'm always a little leery about posting nick-names of wrestlers. Some people are pretty touchy about nick-names. While nick-names may be O.K. when used in a close circle of friends, I never know if the alleged nick-name is really OK or if it has been hung onto some wrestler by someone trying to play mind games.

In the past, a poster insisted on referring to a wrestler with the moniker "Hannibal Lectre," e.g., Joe "Hannibal Lectre" Smith. That almost got by me, until I realized that Hannibal Lectre was the character in the movie who, er, um, dined on human flesh, and this nick-name was in reference to a biting incident a'la Mike Tyson.

As I have pointed out before, I don't like such phrases as "Smith totally dominated Jones" or "Smith wiped the mat with Jones." It's hard enough to lose a match, but these wrestlers don't really need to read this kind of stuff. Wrestlers know (or should know) that it is fair game to report the results of the match ("Smith tech falled Jones"), but, beyond that, I just don't think that the wrestlers need this kind of embellishment. Just my opinion, though.

One has to be careful with seemingly innocuous posts, such as "Good luck to Billy Jones. I know that if you dedicate yourself and work hard in practice, you will beat Bobby Smith the next time." I have posted such in the past, and then received complaints from the parent who took such comments to imply that Billy Jones is not dedicated and has been loafing in practice. Again, put yourself in the shoes of the wrestler. You have just wrestled your guts out at a tournament, and now you have some Monday morning coach wanna-be getting on here and giving you advice on how you can improve your performance.

As for the growth of this site, that is all due to the readers, fans, and coaches who submit scores and such to the site. Actually, I don't write much at all, but rather just catch what comes in. If anyone is interested, there is a little link at the bottom of the front page, Usage Statistics, which tabulates the number of hits to the various pages. Every year, readership sets a new record at State Tournamet time. This year, we have already surpassed last year's peak readership. In the month of January, the web site received 109,982 visits. There were a total of 624,863 documents viewed. Last week there were 26,724 visits to the web site. The most popular areas are scores, forum, and the youth tournament listings. So far, the entry form for the Parkersburg Youth States has been viewed 1,696 times. And so on.

So anyway, good luck to the wrestlers. Thanks to the fans.

February 16, 2003
comments: i believe the score from wirt vs. point was wirt 38 point 13 but that's not definite...it's give or take a few points on both sides. Congratulations Wirt boys!

February 16, 2003
comments: I cant believe no one has mentioned anything about Matt Stevens wrestling for OU. Since he did win his match against WVU.

February 16, 2003
comments: I am a little disappointed in this forum's audience's inability (not the editor's responsibility) to update high school teams match results. Living in Georgia, I am unable to get WVa high school results (especially in-state dual matches) at any other source except for this web page. Being a South grad, I myself have had to submit the scores on South's out-of-state results a couple of times (which I obtained from other internet links) because no one else would update them. A couple of times, the scores would not be updated for over a week.

The reason this is frustrating is because I know South wrestled on Feb 13th, yet I do not know how they did, whether their lineup is still shuffled, is Walters back in the lineup or not, and so forth. Even one of your forum's commentators stated they were there to see South wrestle on the 13th yet they did not mention anything except how they were disappointed in the crowd turnout. Come on folks; update the scores for those of us who enjoy our only link to WVa High School Wrestling. If South can't get their scores updated here, I can only imagine how many other matches are never recognized as having happened.

February 16, 2003
comments: The Guy who said Williamstown Trash talks need to read the forum just little closer. Its not Williamstown doing that.

February 16, 2003
comments: Who was it that put the predictions on the forum that said this is who will place in states at 130. You have Timmy McCoy from Wirt at 1, Derek Scarbro at 2, and Jason McCoy at 3. Hate to break it to you, but Jason McCoy from Point would beat either one of them. And then you have Andrew Stuter from Keyser and A.J. Burks from Braxton on there, but you dont have Jeremy McCarty on there anywhere, and you know what? He beat Stuter and teched Burks, I hope you rethink your thoughts of 130.

February 16, 2003
comments: I agree with All about South! South Fans you need to stand behind these fine young men win or lose. Yes its been a difficult year for that young team but the want in their hearts is as strong as any team before them! Lets get some SouthSide excitment in the air and let this TEAM know its not over till its over. GO SOUTH

February 16, 2003
comments: There was an article in the Charleston Gazzette and quotes were made that are a bit misleading.Yes Parkersburg High does have more state titles than South but not since South became a school in 1967.More importantly,South has a state record 4 consecutive state AAA titles...sorry PHS but those are just the FACTS!!

February 16, 2003
comments: Everything I send you, you edit or don't even put it on. I use no bad language and I mention no names unless I am complimenting but still you keep it off the page. Maybe instead of this being a forum it ought to be called Dr. Miller's page. You make me sick. It is nice to have this page but someone else should be running it. It is okay for Cameron and Williamstown to trash talk each other but nothing else is fair game. If there is no foul language and no name calling then this forum should be open to anything. That's what a real forum is suppose to be. You have become a joke and this page is political. Your probably a Little League baseball coach also. I know you will read this but I am quite sure you will just edit it as you normally do. What ever happen to free speech. You say that you have to worry about law suits. Well, what about law suits over free speech. You need to change your line of thinking and start putting things on here as you recieve them. Or else maybe some one else can start their own page. Have some guts and print this.
Editor's note: Hey, no problem. To tell you the truth, I'd be tickled to death if someone else did start a page which allowed anything to be said that anyone wanted to say. Why don't you start one? Just be sure to put your name, address, and phone number on the page so everyone will know who is responsible. I'll be glad to post a link to your new page.

February 15, 2003
comments: lets not get the EAST and WEST thing started. are you talking about Fairmont or Greenbrier?

February 16, 2003
comments: A few weeks ago I posted a message that congradulated two wrestlers on their 100th wins and winning the viking Smash (if you didn't see it before Devin and Stewy congradulations). In my post I gave them a few words of wisdom that I thought would help them in their quests for a state title, like most people on here do. There were no swear words, no complaints, no put downs, or anything else of that nature, but for some reason my post was banished from the forum. The reason I brought this up is I saw this post today.....
February 15, 2003 From: I HATE STUPID PEOPLE comments: This page is a joke, there is hardly anything on here that is true, except that Easter will win the state
...and wondered why it was allowed to stay and mine wasn't. If you could please tell me I would greatful.
If you don't post this then please email me with the answer if post this with your answer then you do not have to email me just please leave this part off I don't wish other people to know my email address
Editor's note: Truthfully, I cannot remember what post you submitted. The "I HATE STUPID PEOPLE" post was pretty much a put-down of this forum, and I don't mind taking criticism. As for your post, why not re-submit your post which didn't make it and I'll take a look at it. I sometimes have trouble with "words of wisdom" directed to specific individuals, and sometimes cannot tell if such posts are meant to encourage the wrestler, or if it is a thinly disguised "put-down."

February 16, 2003
comments: Bosley and Morris have wrestled this year at the Braxton Big 16. Bosley won the match, but i cannot remember the score.

February 16, 2003
comments: To the GWHS wrestlers......Guys this is what you have worked all year for, and i know that you guys have been sick, injured, tired and god knows what else. But after last year i know that you boys are the toughest group that i ever got the privilage to wrestle with. You guys are going to be the underdogs again just like every year thats why you have to dig down and wrestle your best. Every one of you has the heart of a lion.....now you need to get the eye of a tiger that you had last year and bring that regional home with you again. I'll be there to cheer you on along with the rest your supportors...Good Luck Fellas

February 15, 2003
comments: congratulations to Matt Morris from Braxton on his 150th career win at the Big 5. make that a couple more and go win states!!

February 15, 2003
comments: No Duncan and Dye did not wrestle at Wirt. I do not think Duncan made weight

February 15, 2003
comments: could someone fill me in on the dates for the mason county open.

February 15, 2003
comments: Jason McCoy is a great wrestler and is very talented. He may be down right now but he will shine at regionals. Good Luck to Jason and the Point wrestling team.

February 15, 2003
comments: what are the predictions for region 3 AAA?

February 15, 2003
comments: Comments:Good luck Timmy McCoy in the Regionals and the States.

February 15, 2003
comments: did duncan and dye wrestle at wirt the other night?

February 15, 2003
comments: 36-36 is a tie! and if an official does break a tie, (which they wait until after the tournament to do in a duals tournament,), it would still go to other criteria later if all records are all the same, and berkely had less pins, a team point taken away, and fewer individual champs in the tournament

February 15, 2003
comments: Was there a Big 10 conference tournament ?

February 15, 2003
comments: With Regionals approaching, the time is drawling near for this years "Super Predictions",...As always the predictions will be without bias, based upon sound logic, and the most accurate predictions made all year.

February 15, 2003
comments: For All the wrestlers at 171 if you have not heard Andrew Schindler is out now and if you don't know much about him you will soon enough. The last name is all you need to know and he backs it up.

February 15, 2003
comments: hi imfrom northern virginia and i was wondering if there were any off season tournaments near wva or near northern VA?
Editor's note: Check the Youth/Open page.

February 15, 2003
comments: I just wanted to say ever since PHS beat us in the dual meet it is like are fans jus gave up on them. I mean when i showed up thurday night to see some great wrestlers i was disappointed at the fans. Its like they lost to PHS there no good, and we wonder where south wreslters attitudes come from. But seeing them practice lately and watch the captains lead the team. Make no misstakes it will be a close battle at state this year. It will come down to the last penny. Just quit sayin PHS has it wrapped up this year. We may not have a full team and some of our kids quit but we have very tough kids. Most of them will place in the top three. Plus remember when PHS beat South but South came back and won the state. We could see it happen again. Support the kids and keep them in a revenge attitude and South will come out on top once again.

February 15, 2003
comments: to the fan of wrestling neutral: I think Jimmy Johnson was one of the best and quickest on his feet i had the pleasure to watch, I also think that's a pretty elite group of mat men you chose.

February 15, 2003
comments: Elson the 215 from Cameron is out for the year with a knee injury. The backup 215 from Cameron is also out with foot and shoulder injuries. Cameron most likely will not enter a 215 at regionals. Big hit to the Dragons' point scoring chances.

February 15, 2003
comments: Where is Brennan Chambers from Oak Glen and who got MOW at states last year they had to of been good for Sticks not to get it

February 15, 2003
comments: did point pleasant and wirt wrestle last night or not?? if so, where are the results?

February 15, 2003
comments: Has anyone ever read the poem below This might be a bit long but maybe some of these people would understand a wrestler just a little

He Stands Alone
What high school sport makes the demands on the individual that amateur wrestling does?
When a boy walks onto the mat, he stands alone.
No one will run interference, no one will catch a high fly if he makes a bad pitch.
He stands alone.
In other high schol sports, where individual scores are kept,the contest is dtermined in time, distance, and in height.
But in wrestling, the score is kept on a boy's ability to overcome an opponent in a hand to hand contest, where a two second interval at anytime can mean a loss or a win.
If an opponent gains an advantage, there will be no help, no substitute;
there will be no time out and all can be lost in two seconds.
Yes, the boy stands alone.
There is no place on a wrestling team for the show off, the halfhearted, or the weakling.
When the whistle blows, a boy puts his ability, his determination, and his courage on the line,
We who are close to the young men on our high school wrestling teams have watched the range of human emotions from elation to heartbreak.
We have seen coaches with tears running down their cheeks as they try to console a young man who has given his all...yet lost.
Wrestling is a tough, hard sport, a life like, it is the survial of the fittest.
The young men who enter and stay with the team know this. They also know that the time comes and the whistle blows....
THEY STAND ALONE!

the author of this poem was not with it when I received it,but it one of my favorites, so if any one knows who wrote please post.
so for all of you predictors read this and remember it's the wrestler out there standing alone he might be preoccuppied with other thoughts,like college, sickness in the family, trouble within a family, so many things can be on these young mens mind, give credit where credit is due every young man that walks on a mat deserves a standing applause for he walked out on that mat alone.............

February 15, 2003
comments: Predictions of who will win the state at the 130 weight class.
1.Timmy McCoy,Wirt County
2.Derek Scarbro,Shady Spring
3.Jason McCoy,Point Pleasant
4.Brian Mills,Independence
5.Jessie Mahan,Oak Glen
6.Andrew Stuter,Keyser
7.Anthony Dimarco,Williamstown
8.A.J.Burks,Braxton County

February 15, 2003
comments: well we are coming to another state tour, parkersburg will win parkersburg south second, here is a few ? i would like to ask first why do these schools always win championships parks one yr parks south the next etc. could it be coaching maybe ,could it be a good feeder program peewees ,a good jr high program maybe ,could it be competion well there is the anwser competion. has anyone taken a look at these schools schedule try this on for size mcguffey pa ,ironman inv ,breckville inv ,oak glen ,va duals ,warren o ,nat wrestling coaches ass ,quad ,beast of the east ,powerade tour ,grundy va ,the list goes on ,can any other county match this schedule i don't think so another point is summer wrestling this is where wrestling is taugh ,not during the season ,summer wrestling ,tour summer camps, weekend camps ,the dedicated wrestler will do this the average joe will sit home and play nintendo and watch tv and wonder why they did'nt win.
believe me i been there

February 15, 2003
comments: I think Timmy McCoy is going to win the state title in 130. After what I saw last night at Wirt County when Timmy McCoy beat Jason McCoy at a 8-3 match.

February 15, 2003
comments: andy anderson at 275 if he is still wrestling i predict him to be at least 1rst 2nd or 3rd he is really good

February 15, 2003
comments: I think Cappas from MHS has proven himself to be a legit contendor for a state title. I know Shyver is the odds on favorite, but Cappas is wrestling as well as anyone and is peaking at the right time. I am going to predict that MHS will have 2 or maybe three finalists... and at the very least they will have 4 wrestlers finish in the top 4. That's pretty impressive considering they only have 9 weight classes filled. The wrestlers and head coach T.Powers should be commended for what they have accomplished this season. Congratulations and good luck.

February 15, 2003
comments: Why bash kids on here instead of congratulating them on achieving their goals. Why is it that you have to put others down, is it for some self-satisfaction? Let the kids wrestle.

February 15, 2003
comments: You will see a clinic come March 1...

February 15, 2003
comments: Go Bees!!!!!! Good luck to all the East Fairmont wrestlers this year. Go kick some butt!

February 15, 2003
comments: I don't know how any school can expect to win the state title unless you are from Oak Glen. This school has to be the most dedicated school to wrestling in the state. The kids there work so hard and they get nothing but positive rewards. They don't know how to lose there. They have downs there but when it comes to tournament time, the kids come to win. They have a contender at almost every weight class. The light weights (Brandon Miller and Justin Goneau) will finish in the top 3. Second year wrestler Shane Wright has really stepped up this year. I don't know how defending champ Steve Flowers isn't the favorite to win. He has done nothing but impress this season. (Congrats on OVAC championship and 100 wins Steve). Freshmen Jesse Mahan has to be at the top of people's prediction. He a one tough freshman. Junior Garret Railing has improved this year and will finish strong. Seniors Sean McIntosh, Ian Whittington, Matt Wharton, Billy Whitehill, and Patrick McGillian have as good a chance as anybody to win individual titles. Don't count out sophomore Cody Potts either. People think this is a down year for Oak Glen but I think they aren't going to dissapoint anybody this year when tournament time comes rolling around. I feel a SEVENTH straight title coming home this year. Good luck bears.

February 15, 2003
comments: How come every time a person writes to the forum it is modified, sometimes to the extent that the original letter does not even have the same meaning. I called Nitro's tournament a tea-party, and wanted that phrase posted! Mysteriously, like this letter will be, it was earased.
Editor's note: Well, to call that tournament a tea-party is really disrespectful to the school which put it on, the teams and wrestlers who entered it, and the champs who won it. I'll tell you what -- Look over the champs at that tournament. Contact their coach. Volunteer to come to their practice and go a few rounds live in the room with each champ. (of course, that ain't gonna happen, but just suppose....). Then, send in another post with your name, address, and phone number, and tell us that wrestling all these guys is a tea-party. Smile.

February 15, 2003
comments: This is just a little note to West,not trash talk but this is all just getting out of hand. We really don't set over here and talk trash about you all . Yes you all do have some good wrestlers and so do we so lets all just stop with the trash talk!

February 15, 2003
comments: Comment: Timmy McCoy (Wirt) beats Jason McCoy (P.P.)last night at Wirt 8-3!!!!!!!!!!

February 15, 2003
comments: Region 3 AA predictions
Robert Rash (Ind)
Josh Lester (SS)
Godfrey (Log)
Travis Highlander (GW)

112- Tough weight to call past 1st
Josh Neal (SS)
Josh Workman (MT)
Todd Bragg (Ind)
Corey McGraw (WE)

Bryan Snuffer (Ind)
Colby Painter (GW)
Shawn Coleman (Fay)
Chris McGraw (WE)

Anthony Harvey (SS)
Sheldon Brown (GW)
Cobin Thorn (WE)
Daniel Bailey (Lib)

Derek Scarbro (SS)
Brian Mills (Ind)
Brandon Wilburn (OH)
Keith Martin (GW)

Justin Chapman (SS)
Rocky Scarbro (Lib)
Larry Neece (Log)
Harrison Palmer (GW)

Josh Daniel (Lib)
Nathan Ackison (OH)
Adam Justice (WE)
Barry Hodges (Ind)

Shawn Garland (OH)
Drew Fitzpatrick (MT)
Chuck Meadows (SS)
Daniel Miller (GW)

Brandon Boone (GW)
Adam Lattie (WE)
David Betkijian (Lib)
James Avis (MB)

Brandon Browning (Lib)
Osbourne (GW)
Stafford (OH)
Levi Wood (Ind)

Mark Smith (GW)
Buster Carico (Lib)
Dusty Thompson (SS)
Bud White (MT)

Robert Ward (Ind)
Chad Tincher (GW)
Alouf (Fay)
Carver (SS)

Cline (WS)
Jeremy Canterbury (Lib)
Chad Crookshanks (GW)
Randy Stroupe (MT)

Maynor Crookshanks (GW)
Lincoln Harrison (Lib)
Kris Roberts (MT)
Justin Whitlock (Ind)

Team            1st       2nd       3rd       4th      Total
Greenbrier West  3         4         1         4        12
Shady Spring     4         1         2         1         8
Independence     3         1         1         3         8
Liberty          2         4         1         1         8
Midland Trail    0         2         1         2         5
Wyoming East     0         1         2         2         5
Oak Hill         1         1         2         0         4
Fayetteville     0         0         2         0         2
Logan            0         0         2         0         2
Westside         1         0         0         0         1
Meadow Bridge    0         0         0         1         1
Gilbert          0         0         0         0         0

February 15, 2003
comments: Garrett Railing over Isaac Stewart...bold pick, but not a bad one. I think Ike Stewart will be the man across from Smith come March 1, but that both better keep an eye on the down-state competition like Stewart(Braxton) or they may both end up watching the finals from a seat in the bleachers.

February 15, 2003
comments: Petersburg and berkley springs did not tie the offical on the mat broke the tie after the match using the rulebook
All three teams were 3-1

February 15, 2003
comments: This page is a joke, there is hardly anything on here that is true, except that Easter will win the state

February 15, 2003
comments: I just wanted to know if this was true. My friend told me that Richardson from Cabell Midland (who wrestles heavy weight) dropped to 215 at Huntington and beat Hutchinson at 215 is this true or not?

February 15, 2003
comments: PHS looks like they will win State with ez and they deserve it.Good Luck to all the wrestlers in State and bring it home PHS.

February 15, 2003
comments: There is no doubt that it will be OG and Calhoun fighting for the title in A/AA. I dont think any of the other teams will be competing come the final day of the tournament. I do think that OG and Calhoun will still be in a dead heat come the last round. We will just have to wait and see.

February 15, 2003
comments: Hey there boys it's me again I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about the regionals like you should be. I just wanted to let you guys know that there's a lot of adversity against you guys this year just like every year. I expect my boys from Greenbrier West to pull through in the regionals and win it all. Good luck guys and in case you didn't know I'm coming in especially to watch my boys in action on the 20th and for that matter through the whole state tournament. So you all try to get your stuff together and do us alums from West proud!!! Good luck boys you know I'm there til the end.

February 15, 2003
comments: I've traveled this road for 14 years from peewees to college. And the bottom line is that what 'really matters' happens on the mat....not this forum. Good luck to all!

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page