West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February 1998 Forum (Part Three)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 16, 1998
Memo to: AAA Region II Fans
Re: Directions to Jefferson High School
From I-68 continue through Cumberland to Hancock, Md. At Hancock, Md. take I-70 East to Hagerstown, Md. At the intersection of I-70 and I-81 take I-81 South to Martinsburg, WV. From Martinsburg (I-81) take the Charles Town, WV Rt. 9 East exit (It is the exit just past the Martinsburg Mall). On Rt 9 East continue toward Charles Town going through Kearneysville, WV past North Jefferson Elementary on your right. Then turn left at T.A. Lowery Elementary. (Lowery sits back off the road on your left about 100 yds). Continue across railroad tracks and go past Jefferson County Board of Education Bus garage and turn right at stop sign. School is about 1/2 a mile on your right. Jefferson High School is approx. 1 1/2 hours by car from Cumberland, and approx. 20 minutes by car from I-81.

February 16, 1998
comments: The bottom four or five spots in this years top ten at the AA/A state tournament are very difficult to predict. I think there are as many as as ten teams that will fight it out for the bottom four spots in the top ten. On the other hand, it will be very difficult to unseat Oak Glen.

February 16, 1998
comments: Thorpe missed last weeks MSAC due to a strained stomache muscle but he will be back in action this weekend at the regionals. Go Highlanders.

February 16, 1998
comments: TO Jenny sullivan, great stuff with the mat lines columnm..are you going to be sitting along press row,...with your writings you deserve a credential...or will it be hard for you to be objective if you sit on press row?....sounds like those press seats could be hard to get with the big crowds...???

February 16, 1998
While we are on the subject of things we would like to see (return wrestling to WVIAC schools), here is something else I would like to see:
I would like to see West Virginia Public Television (WSWP, WNPB, etc) broadcast the WV State Wrestling Tournament finals on a tape delay basis, as is done in Pennsylvania by the Pennsylvania Public Broadcasting stations. I once sent a letter of inquiry to the Morgantown public broadcasting station, and the reply was something to the effect of ".... gee whiz, a good idea, but we have no money for this ..., " etc. I would think that "selling points" for this would be ....
1) Action takes place indoors, well lit, small area, minimum of lighting and camera equipment needed.
2) Student athletes from many schools in West Virginia will appear in the finals -- not just from two schools. This would have a state-wide appeal.
3) The broadcasts would be widely videotaped and replayed and studied for years to come - any advertising or promotional inserts would be repeatedly viewed.
I've often wondered what would happen if somebody or some group would approach one of the public broadcasting stations with a group of sponsors in tow .....

February 16, 1998
email: sullivj2@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
comments: I'm not sure about why Schlieper wasn't wrestling, but Hughes didn't make weight. He wrestled exhibition matches against both Joey Sharp of Wirt and Nick Prather of Winfield. I'm pretty sure he won both exhibition matches.

February 16, 1998
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: WV-Wahoo, I could not agree more. Would someone official out there please tell us how much it would cost revive a wrestling program at a school where facilities are already available. These teams would all have to be non-scholarship (Division III) programs at least initially. My understanding is that Fairmont State is considering restarting a wrestling program. Please feel free to lobby the Athletic Director (Dave Cooper) of your feelings. Fairmont State used to feed its program with mostly WV kids that no one else recruited and they produced several NAIA All Americans. Also, I was wondering, does Marshall no longer have a wrestling team? If not, this is a shame. My guess is communities like Huntington and Fairmont would help their schools raise the money for the initiation of the wrestling programs.

February 16, 1998
comments: Forum
Why was Hughes and Schiepler absent from Cameron's line up when they scrimmaged Wirt?

February 16, 1998
comments: Does anyone know what happened to Thorpe from Huntington.

February 15, 1998
comments: Congrats to Wirt on their victory over Cameron on Saturday. The Tigers look good going into the Regionals. Keep in mind Cameron forfeited 103 and 112, wrestling without Hughes and Schlieper. This hurts. Could make for some interesting competition down state. I still think that OVAC AAAA school Oak Glen will be tough to beat. They've such a large pool of athletes to choose from. But look for Cameron and Wirt to put up some stiff competition.

February 15, 1998
As a parent of a WV high school wrestler and former high school coach I find it very upsetting that if a young person wants to continue his/her wrestling career on the collegiate level that they must look out of state. This creates a great hardship on many families due to the lack of scholarships that schools have to offer and the cost of out of state tuition.

Being a product of the WV college system, I feel the education I received to be top of the line. If our sons/daughters want to take advantage of this education system, they only have 2 options. All WVIAC schools (Divisions II NCAA Schools) have strong athletic programs. What would the cost be to add wrestling? Most already have a mat and some even have a wrestling room or practice area.

If title IX is the reason (equal number of scholarships men/women) then do not offer scholarships. Let a participant walk on or receive financial aid like the Division III schools do. Some schools did not have wrestling before the induction of title IX in 1976. Some schools, (athletic directors) do not want the competition with the so called money sports.

In closing I feel there are many outstanding young wrestlers that will never have the opportunity to wrestle beyond high school. Intermat says the sport of High School Wrestling is growing but the collegiate sport is decreasing in the number of colleges with wrestling teams. I urge you to talk to your local colleges to see if we can't get the sport of wrestling back on the collegiate level for WEST VIRGINIANS.
P.S. Check the number of West Virginia residents on the WVU and West Liberty rosters.

February 15, 1998
comments: Congratulations to the Wirt County Tigers in defeating Cameron. I think that should definetly put Wirt in 2nd place on the polls and Cameron at 3rd. Wirt defeated Cameron without Mike Miller due to school difficulties.

February 14, 1998
comments: Wirt defeated Cameron 44-30. David Drennen pinned Bouge Parrish 2nd period. GO WIRT

February 14, 1998
comments: Happy Valentines Day to all of you. Wrestlers GOOD LUCK at Regionals next weekend.

February 14, 1998
comments: re: princess
in regards to your question about how cabell midland did at the point pleasant quad, of course they won. im not real sure of the final score but of course it was probobly big. as for the knights, i know you can pull through in regionals and beat HHS and hopefully do the same at states.....GO KNIGHTS!!!!

February 13, 1998
email: lemasterjpmd@msn.classic.com
comments: Can anyone explain the "Good Marks" scoring system that is used in many tournaments in other states? I was thinking of using this system to establish ind. champs at my duals tournament we are planning this year. We could use the duals matches and score these marks but not use a ladder bracket and vertical pairings as are often used with this format. I know this is often used along with some modified rules in open tournaments in Ohio, etc. Thanks! Go Knights!

February 13, 1998
email: sullivj2@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
comments: To: Backpoints
Thanks for the compliment. I agree that the WSAZ is a little overwhelming. I've been there only once, but I loved it. It was hard for me to keep up with all of the matches because I'm not familiar with all of the Ohio teams. It's easier for me to keep up with what's happening at the state tournament because I know what all of the team colors are and I actually know what a lot of the wrestlers look like. (At one time Ripley and Fairmont Senior had identical singlets - now that was confusing!) As for what matches to watch, I kind of listen for who's on deck and watch for a match that I think will be a good one, whether it be AAA or AA. In regards to your comment about female wrestlers, I still plan to run an article on a young lady from Nicholas County who is a champion in a female wrestling organization. It may nut run until after the state tournament, but I still plan to run it. One more thing - in response to the question as to how Midland did at the quad, I heard from a Pt. Pleasant person that they defeated Point by a large margin, but that's all I heard.

February 13, 1998
email: pmpayne@inetone
comments: What a surprise to everyone that little Big Creek High WON the Coalfield Conf. on Tuesday at Greenbrier West. There were a lot of good matches all day and night. Again good job B.C. Owls!!!

February 13, 1998
email: ossanob@aol.com
comments: this question for the forum:
Does anybody know if Anthony Regalbutto has recovered from his injury and if he will be participating in the regional tourney?

February 13, 1998
comments: Does any one know how Cabell Midland did at the Point Pleasant Quad? Good luck at Regionals next weekend guys. Congratulations on moving up to second after last weekends MSAC! Keep up the good work and I hope to see all 14 of you at states. Go Knights!!!

February 13, 1998
comments: To: Jenny Sullivan (mat lines)... great job with the column...very informative....would like your advice... I recently attended the WSAZ tourney in Huntington and was astounded by how many many matches were going on at the same time. I didn't know which one to watch? I mean there was action everywhere. I've been to dual meets and some tournaments but never 10 mats!! Any advice on watching the WV state? Are you going to be at the press table? Also, do you plan any articles on woman wrestlers?? Great job as always... Jenny///hope to read your response on the forum....

February 13, 1998
comments: to ex-highlander
Paul Brooks won at 112 vs Parkersburg South along with Jason Cox for HHS. But anyway you look at it. HHS got defeated handily.

February 12, 1998
comments: I just want to start off with congratulating Cox (189) HHS for a job well done at MSAC,, he looked the best he has all year, he went 5-0 at the MSAC,, and the only one to win for HHS against South. The rest of the team looked pretty bad against South.. Second off I want to congratulate Stanley (103) CMHS for going 5-0 at the MSAC for his first varsity tournament he looked awesome good luck bud. Third,,,,, as for Jack Chapman you did one heck of a good job at MSAC after not wrestling for three years and going 4-1 this weekend. You looked great keep up the great work.. Good luck to Jason Cox, Justin Stanley, and Jack Chapman at the regionals next week..
I agree with whoever said that both HHS and CMHS could have 14 each at state... Both teams look superb and there will be fireworks flyin at regionals..... Good luck to both teams..

February 12, 1998
email: BgDgSports@aol.com
comments: Mannington Middle is the only feeder school for North Marion that has a wrestling program. They do a good job

February 11, 1998
email: josevjhs@yahoo.com
comments: I had a comment on how great Wirt County's team looked at the LKC's on Saturday. I think Wirt's team looked better on Saturday than I have ever seen them look the whole year, they really came together as a team when they needed to the most. Everyone better be on the lookout when the State Tournament comes around, because the Tigers are going to be on the prowl of a State Championship.

February 11, 1998
comments: SATURDAY AT WIRT COUNTY HIGH BOUGE VS DAVID AT 160 MIGHT JUST BE WORTH WATCHING- I HOPE ! SEE YA AT THE MATCH-
DOGGYDADDY

February 11, 1998
comments: Wow...
Just noticed that 8 of the 14 top ranked AAA wrestlers come from Region 2, and a ninth one, (Zebuhr of BU) comes from a school that used to be in Region 2. And only 3 are from Region 1 !!!
Hmmmmn...
Could make for an interesting state tournament this year!

February 11, 1998

Having the great benefit of checking various links to this web page, I sat this morning reviewing various mat thoughts in regards to youth wrestling. Comments are tainted with much criticism of parents. Many are with merit and some without. Some parents have never had the opportunity of feeling the "rush" of competition. No amount of alcohol or drugs can reach that level. That remark in itself should tell all of us a signified message. Competition, especially youth wrestling, can plant a lifelong foundation for discipline and self esteem. I have always believed you never quit learning. The youth wrestlers of today, wrestler and train harder than the youth of ten years ago or the teens of 25 years ago. This is said from personal experiences. Think of this comparison. T Ball practices and games, youth basketball practice and games or even youth football practice and games. Non can compare to the intensity of youth wrestling today. For those of us who are intense with wrestling to those parents who really do not understand that "rush", lets keep it fun for the young ones so they do not become quitters and can know the great feeling of competition in high school and then on into the rest of their lives. More times than not, I still have to remind myself of this also.
Nick Busick

February 10, 1998
comments: For those who would like to know. Steele moved up this weekend because Burgess was not feeling well. Burgess is back at 160 and Steele is back at 152. This is the way it will be for Regionals and States.

February 10, 1998
email: WALLACE@WIREFIRE.COM
comments:Individual Rankings
I would like to know who compiles the ratings and information. I'm sure it was an honest mistake but in the 189 class #7, Brown and #8, Ochap were beaten by Rob Ball of Parkersburg in the same quad. Rob finished 3rd in the MSAC and was two points away from being 1st. He has an overall record 15-5 and missed a few matches due to injury. I think you do a great job, keep it up, It's a wonderful part of W.V. wrestling.

February 10, 1998
comments: As a manager from Capital, I can pretty much agree w/ U about the questionable 150 fans at the MSAC. Unfortunately wrestling in Charleston does not get half the support it deserves, if there were 150 fans, I can pretty much estimate 100 were from Parkersburg South. They always bring tremendous support where ever they go. I just wish Capital had even an eighth of their support. Also CONGRATULATIONS TO BINKY! Once again you've really shown yourself.

February 10, 1998
comments: Congratulations to Jason Ward of Cabell Midland for winning his 100th match at the MSAC tournament Saturday. This now brings his career record to 104 - 7. Congratulations Jason!!!

February 10, 1998
comments: To back points,
Check out the youth/open section on this site for more info . . . you can even download and print out entry blanks. I know there are tournaments in Sophia, Dupont, Roane County (I think), Clarksburg, and Parkersburg coming up. Also there is usually the Mason County Open in Point Pleasant. Also look to the Buckeye state for spring tournaments in the Columbus, Dayton, Beavercreek, Pickerington, and Gallion areas as well as the huge Tournament of Champions at the Fairgrounds in Columbus. If you want to keep wrestling the events are out there! Usually if you go to one you can pick up a handful of blanks to others. Several of my middle school team members are going to some of these. (As a coach I can't go or let them workout) so I am not sure what their plans are but perhaps you could hook up with them. I also know that a couple of Cammack kids attend these. If you need any other help E- Mail me and I'll do what I can.

February 10, 1998
comments: I agree with the tournament outgrowing Huntington. With four or five teams competing for a team title in AAA this year instead of two or three in past years, it looks like attendance may reach an all-time high. With Hockey taking out viewing angles and a few hundred seats, this could be a very tensed filled tournament for the fans. The City of Cincinnatti learned the hard way at a rock concert a few years ago on open seating which led to the deaths of a few fans. I don't anticipate the extreme happening, but I think the Director would be wise to go to RESERVED SEATING and moving AAA back to the North End of the building where they can open a portion of the West side bleachers. Four hundred forty-eight participating wrestlers plus coaches and managers should not need over 2000 seats to sit in.

February 10, 1998
comments: As the State Tourn. draws closer I was wondering about the seating situation at the Civic Center. Last year there was some trouble caused by having too many people crammed together that weren't on very good terms anyway. Both sides of the Center were open to the public on Sat. night which was great. Will they open both sides earlier this year maybe Friday before things get boiling - if not than I think that The State Wrestling Tourn. has out - grown Huntington for SAFETY SAKE.

February 10, 1998
I saw a write-up in the Charleston paper about the MSAC torun there Saturday. The paper said the estimated crowd was 150. Is this right? They have a conference championship in Charleston and 150 people show up for it? Does 150 include the wrestlers and coaches?? Which, I figure, if there was 6 teams there that should account for at least half that number. What is this, they have a championship tournament in Charleston with the top ranked teams in the state and nobody shows up? You can get a bigger crowd than this for a cock fight.

February 10, 1998
comments: Picture tells story. Apparently the newspapers never heard of this ....
Editor's note: Yikes!! Take your complaint up with the newspapers. The last thing I want to to is get them mad at me! (smile).

February 10, 1998
email: mahays@access.k12.wv.us
comments: Response to bp26555:
It is true that all of North Marion's state Champions did not come from the city of Mannington, However they all did reside in Mannington Middle School's attendance area, because All 11 State Champions did attend Mannington Middle School, (See Jr. Hi, Mannington Middle School) and wrestled for Mannington Middle School.

February 10, 1998
comments: To all WV mat fans: Does anybody have any information on some good junior high or youth tournaments near Huntginton in the next three weeks til March?? Would like to know the place and time of the tournaments thanks.

February 10, 1998
comments: Conehead seemed to be pretty much on the mark with his comments. The exception being 189 predictions. I heard Underwood got pinned and that makes me wonder because of the quickness of the pin. Lahman could be a sleeper. Kupfer has appeared tired mid second period when wrestling someone who is stronger, and one wonders if his strength level matches his physique. Busick could be the biggest surprize for that class. All that said my pick is 1st Place - Kupfer; 2nd Place - Wilmoth (Cal); 3rd/4th - Busick and Underwoood.

February 10, 1998
E-mail: sullivj2@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
The Beckley Register-Herald has a local sports page, and they have some good articles on wrestling from time to time. The address is www.register-herald.com/localspt.htm. If you like to read about Ohio wrestling, check out the Akron Beacon-Journal at www.beaconjournal.com/bj/sports/index.html for coverage on teams like Walsh Jesuit and tournaments like the Ironman.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated February 16, 1998