West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February 2000 Forum (Part Seven)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 20, 2000
comments: We just wanted to wish BRAD DAVIS(160) the best of luck at states....

February 20, 2000
comments: TO ALL BRAXTON TEAM
Way to go on your big win Saturday. I would like to congradulate Braxton for still being undefeated tournament level and for taking all 14 wrestlers to the States. I would also like to congradulate Coach Beane and Asst. Coach Shuman they must fill proud of their team and their accomplishments for this season so far. Good luck at States guys!!!!!

February 20, 2000
comments: i have enjoyed reading all the prognostications and predictions after the regionals but I have to seriously question a few. I think the state will be more wide open than ever before. I also think many are overlooking some of the excellent wrestlers from regions III and IV. If things shake out right Midland could have as many as 5 in the finals (Stanley Stanley Walters Coffey and Wellman) and a few other placers. Huntington has some outstanding individuals too as do Hoover etc. This end of the state may not win the tournament but can certainly have a say in who does with a few upsets. Cabell Co. is looking forward to hosting all the wrestling fans coming to the state tournament. Enjoy yourselves and win or lose remember it's all for the wrestlers not fans boosters coaches etc.

February 20, 2000
comments: I would just like to know if Hedgesville counts their forfeits as wins like West Fairmont does? I think there needs to be some kind of rule on this. It's not fair for some to count their forfeits as wins and some not to count them at all.

February 20, 2000
comments: i would like to congratulate richard "buff" stotler on his 1st place finish at reagionals. and i would also like to say good luck to him and the berkeley springs wrestling team at states. they are taking all of their wrestlers to states.

February 20, 2000
comments: Hey swami What kind of team picks are they. Hey I'm from Parkersburg but how can you pick Hedgesville fifth. Moats and Regalbuto alone will put them third.

February 20, 2000
comments: CONGRATULATIONS WEIR!!!! GOOD LUCK AT STATES!! ROBERT BUSICK(215)VINCE MAGNONE(171)MATT ZAHN(119)AND GAREY DANKOVCHIK(103)

February 20, 2000
comments: To KK Thanks for correcting old coach he's done this stuff for years. But remember there having fun !

February 20, 2000
comments: Congratulations to the Mayles from BU understand they had three Chamjpions at the Regional Sat >> Keep it up fellas you might have been from HH but you learned wrestling in JJWA... :}

February 20, 2000
comments: Good Luck to Jason Litten and the rest of the Frankfort Falcons at state! Jason had an awsome match at Braxton with Drew Toth beating him in the 2nd period 11-1 until an injury default ocurred. He also recieved Outstanding wrestler and I am very proud of him!

February 20, 2000
comments: WAY TO GO SOUTH!!! YOU GUYS WRESTLED AWESOME THIS WEEKEND!! I KNEW YOU GUYS COULD DO IT WAY TO SHOW THEM HOW TO WRESTLE!!! CONGRATS TO YOU ALL!!! SPECIAL CONGRATS TO NATHAN PICKENS ON HIS WIN AGAINST BRANDON WILLIAMS!!! GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

February 20, 2000
comments: I dont see how anybody can put any wrestler in front of regalbuto for best in the state.Moats is a fine wrestler but regalbuto is in a class by himself.they have had a few wrestle off in practice with regalbuto winning decisively.Regalbuto has not had a close match all year he is by far the best pound for pound wrestler in the state.Bowers deserves alot of credit for all the hard work he has put in this year he will win a much deserved state title.TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!

February 20, 2000
email: mact53@hotmail.com
comments: congratulations to all the winners at the regionals and good luck to all the region I wrestlers at Huntington South looks awful tough to beat they beat some good wrestlers at Moundsville yesterday

February 20, 2000
comments: comments: the last two years the state tournament has been Pill one. This year makes the third year in a row. This is not right. The pill's should be rotated to be fair. I really think the coaches should have a seeding meeting the sunday after the regionals. If the football coaches can get together every sunday after a playoff game it should not be much to ask for the wrestling coaches to come together one time during the year. I will make a case for this at the coaches meeting saturday morning at the state tournament. The OVAC tournament is seeded and it has over 50 teams in it! They have a meeting during the week before to determine the brackets. It is time to re-evaluate the tournament pairing procedure. I welcome your replies.
Editor's note: Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but it appears to me that the last two years were Pill 3 format. I think that 1998 was the first year for the "Pill" -- prior to that it was "move ahead 2 clicks" or some such...

February 20, 2000
comments: Swami's crystal ball is full of swamp water but Swami sees through the murk...
103 Delly vs Easter winner Easter
112 Stanley vs Kennedy winner Kennedy
119 Bowers vs Stevens winner Stevens
125 George vs Evans winner George
130 Radcliff vs Walters winner Radcliff
135 Bosley vs Mayle winner Mayle
140 Daggett vs Moates winner Moates
145 Regelbuto vs Griffin winner Griffin
just kidding winner Regelbuto
152 Neptune vs Williams winner Williams
160 Daggett vs Davis winner Daggett
171 Courtney vs Miller winner Courtney
189 Coffey vs Wehrle winner Wehrle
215 McCartney vs Ochap winner Ochap
HWT Wellman vs Heath winner Heath

February 20, 2000
comments: Any word on MOW for each region?

February 20, 2000
does anyone know the price for admission into the states at huntington next weekend
is there a place that I may order tickets online..

February 20, 2000
comments: Articles on Regionals:
Region 1 AAA:
http://www.dominionpost.com/archive/sports/sports/000220E/000220E.HTM
Region 2 AAA:
http://www.timeswv.com/localspt.html
Region 4
AAA: http://sundaygazettemail.com/news/Sports/2000022034/
Region 2 AA:
http://205.164.209.108/cpubco/cgi-bin/LiveIQue.acgi$rec=782cbgCurrentSports?cbgCurrentSports
Region 2 AA:
http://205.164.209.108/cpubco/cgi-bin/LiveIQue.acgi$rec=774cbgCurrentSports?cbgCurrentSports
Region 4 AA:
http://register-herald.com/localspt.htm#STORY1

February 20, 2000
comments: Congrats to Fairmont Senior on your victory I have said on here before that I think you have a very solid line-up I feel that you or Hedgesville have a chance to knock off South at States. Congrats to Drappo for pinning Bonasso . Best of luck to both teams at States!!

February 20, 2000
comments: I would like to congradulate all of the St. Marys wrestlers that qualified for state. I would also like to send a special congradulations to J.D. Smith from St. Marys. Looks like all the hard work over the last 4 years is going to pay off with a trip to Hunnington.

February 20, 2000
comments: Congrats to the Polar Bears on their Regional Champ. Too many great matches to mention. Some sleepers should be noticed Jeffersons McDonald wrestled Rigalbuto great one of few kids to go distance with Anthony who is the BEST in state Abshire vs Shetler dbl OT . Think he is not even ranked in top 5 Shetler 2nd. Drapo 1-0 with Griffith and so on and so on. Best of luck to region 2 kids especially the little tip in the Eastern side of the state !!!! Get em Berk Morgan and Jefferson counties make your Schools and counties proud.

February 20, 2000
comments: Once again State Time is here. I have seen and listen to who is the best all year now the skin hits the mat. On thing I can say is the truth about what region is tougher would be known had anyone been at the Fairmont Armory the past two days. Bracket after bracket contained many of the top kids in states. One weight class had 5 of the ranked kids who would have WON many of the other regions where I understand a couple weight classes were decided by who made weight. Good Luck REGION II.

February 20, 2000
comments: Well I just want to say congrats to all the regional champions. You did a great job and Good Luck at states.
South did great in the regionals. All of our guys made it! And I just want to say Good Luck to all of you this coming week. I know everyone will do a great job.
And just remember anything could happen. I am not going to be suprised by what goes on because I think there is going to be a lot of upsets this week at state.

February 20, 2000
comments: Lets compare the big three.

Fairmont      Hedgesville    South
1.champs- 2            5            4
2.qualify-12           9            13
3.region- tough      tough          weak
4.st.rank-2            3             1
Does anyone besides me think that South has got their work cut out for them in winning the states. Hedgesville will have three or four champs. probably six or seven place winners. Fairmont will have two champs probably six or seven place winners. South will have no champs maybe one and nine place winners. I think that the Eagles will win it.

February 20, 2000
comments: congratulations to jeff courtney on defeating defending state champ matt miller he did do quite a good job but still it means nothing until states lets see who takes whos name at states hmmm... lets go bees and matt miller

February 20, 2000
comments: Good Job Chris stay FOCUSED and work HARD reach your GOAL!!

February 20, 2000
Comments: from a West Fairmont Fan:Wishing you the best at the states. You can win it all. Coach Delligatti is one heck of a coach and all the wrestlers are fine athletes, See you at the STATES in first place.

February 20, 2000
comments: I would like to Congratulate Sonny Dye from Parkersburg South on his performance. He really came through when he needed to and I can only hope that his leg will be better in time to show us all what he can do at states this year. Also congrats to the entire South team. I can only hope that the team will be ready when we make it to Huntington I know if everything goes the way it should we will win without a doubt but we can't get to confident. Good luck South! Give it 100% and we'll come out on top again. Good luck to all the qualifiers wrestle save!!!

February 20, 2000
comments: Congratulations to the Calhoun Red Devils on your Region 3 Championship. The hard work is paying off. Good luck at states.

February 20, 2000
comments: Congratulations go to Chris Miller 145lb wt class a freshman from Wirt County named Most Outstanding Wrestler in the Region III tournament at Ritchie Co. Miller beat senior Rhett Koslosky(Rit) in the semi-finals and then went on to beat undefeated Adam Schindler (Rav)in the finals. WAY TO GO CHRIS!

February 20, 2000
comments: Congrats to Tim Haddox and Joel Zyla for winning Regional titles today. Tim looked very impressive in his 10-7 desicion of Tucker Brown of Cameron. While Joel Zyla looked just as impressive with a 8-5 win over Logan Glass of Oak Glen. Tim you were right there is somthing about those practice partners you 2 had this week! Also congrats to Ash Wenmoth on winning your 4th regional title.

February 20, 2000
comments: South is a lock for this year's championship but Fairmont holds the key. Swami still sees 1-South 2-Fairmont Sr 3-Parkersburg 4-Cabell Midland 5-Hedgesville.

February 20, 2000
comments: congrats to trent casto on a great regoinal vitory i see a state champ in the making id watch out for this kid hes gonna do real damage to bosely stanley and griffith in states in my opinion GOOD LUCK TO ALL WRESTLERS AT STATES

February 20, 2000
comments: JEFFERSONS ANDRE MCDONALD GAVE REGALBUTO A GOOD MATCH ON SATURDAY 0NLY LOOSING BY A MINOR DECISION.LOOK FOR A BIG UPSET IN THE STATE FINALS

February 20, 2000
looks like the IRON EAGLES kicked serious butt at region 2.6 of the first 8(champs) and 2 runner ups.and a 3rd. at 189. looks like all the hard work over the summer is paying off .keep up the good work . special thanks to Tony Realbuto (great coach)

February 20, 2000
congradulations 2 chantz griffith and dustin householder of jefferson 4 winning your region.not bad 4 sophomores.also to devin abshire , andre mcdonald , jacob morton , drew day. let's kick some butt at states

February 20, 2000
comments: Congratulations to the Sophia Youth Wrestling Team on putting together a great "Wrestling Blizzard" last weekend. The competition was tough and with WV TN NC SC OH and VA represented you had a good mix of eastern talent for all of us to sample. To "old coach" there have been many Jr. High kids reach the 100 win level ( Aaron Barnette and Steve Sexton from Independence just to name two that I know ). Most wrestlers and coaches start worrying about records in High School when it really matters and aren't concerned with keeping track of Jr. High records.

February 20, 2000
email: junkins@ab.edu
comments: I know how great South fans support their team but I'd like to say thanks to the fans from my old school FRANKFORT. You guys always supported us and that's what it takes to have a quality team. I know at regionals this year out of 14 boys 13 had their parents there. That's about a four-hour drive and that's shows support. I thank all you FRANKFORT fans for supporting me lets keep it up.

February 20, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Jared Walters on picking up his 150th career victory tonight at the regionals!!!

February 20, 2000
comments: i would like to congratulate Calhoun on their Region Championship. The boys all wrestled hard and deserved this win!!

February 20, 2000
comments: what a day of wrestling. the fairmont armory was rocking as they saw Fmt. Senior win Hedgesville place 2nd and East Fairmont 3rd. Courtney in the biggest upset of the day decisioned miller 3-2 in the final. Futten def Bland to go the conso finals.Drappo pinned Bannasso and Lord beat barnes in OT. shetler also won in ot vs Abshire. 152 was the most comp. w/ good guys going for 4 spots Eakle wn by pinning Neptune. Well region 2 proved to be almost too competitive.

February 20, 2000
comments: Jeff Courtney Took Names And Then Kicked ---. Way to Go Jeff. Do it again!

February 20, 2000
email: braxton_fan45@hotmail.com
comments: I was at the regionals in braxton and i was really impressed by jason litten. congratulations on being mvp i can't wait to see u at the states i'm sure you'll kick... jason if u read this please e-mail me.. thanx

February 20, 2000
comments: I have always been a fan of high school wrestling so I began to watch what West Virginia has to offer. I am impressed so far with what I've seen only PA has had a more complete crop of wrestlers. However I haven't seen the Hedgesville wrestlers Bryan Moats and Anthony Regalbuto. From looking at this forum for about two weeks now it appears as if these two are the best in the state. Could someone write a detailed description of how good these two are. I would appreciate it.

February 20, 2000

comments: SOUTH will probably win the state tourney due to the number of entrants that they will have in it. However I don't believe that SOUTH will have one champion. The BEST WRESTLERS IN THE STATE are the big two from HEDGESVILLE. MOATS AND REGALBUTO along with Ballam Shetler Bowers and Lord give the Eagles the better individuals but I give credit to SOUTH they probably have the best tournament team. The best dual team in the state is the EAGLES with the POLAR BEARS a close second SOUTH is third.

February 20, 2000
comments: I think everyone is under estimating Matt Sternthal 189 for EFHs. I think he has a real good shoot at winning states. Congradulations to the eight wrestlers from East who qualified for states. Good luck next week.

February 19, 2000
comments: Its funny to sit her and read all this talk about who has the best team. All you people need to do is just relax and shut up! We just need to let the teams. do the talking on the mat!!!! You all can say what ever you want to about any team in the state but that will not change anything. Its all won or lost on the mat !!I think its funny !!! I think you all wish could be SOUTH FANS!! SOUTH not only will win its FIFTH state championship in the last SIX years!!! But PARKERSBURG SOUTH will also have the most fan support(they do every year)of all the teams!! It all gets started today By next sunday you all will have to say MATMAN WAS RIGHT!!!!!!

February 19, 2000
Editor's note: Regular readers of this forum have probably discerned that there is considerable rivalry between CTJH and HFJH. Jr Hi season is over. Good luck to both teams next year...

February 19, 2000
comments: Just to let everyone know that my boy Codie Gustines is the best! Codie I am so proud of you and all that you have done. I have enjoyed watching you wrestle and will continue to do so as Nationals come our way! With your desire drive and determination(A&F) you are headed straight to the top of the 110lb weight class! Remember revenge is sweet and we have ours to pay back as soon as we get an opportunity :) I love ya like a brother and cannot tell you how proud I am of you. Hope for continued success as I watch you mature into the best wrestler West Virginia has to offer! Again you are the best!! Love your best bud
Jim

February 19, 2000
comments: I even with the pill for states being drawn after regionals i have still seen kids throw matchs with in there own region. This happend quite awhile ago. In the regional tournement they were wrestling the championship finals and the 3rd place match at the same time. This kid who was wrestling for third saw that one kid upset the number one seed in the finals. After seeing this he then just happend to lose is match in the 3rd period. Then the next week these 2 kids met in the state semi's. The fourth place finisher then beat the regional champ. In the finals he now had to wrestle the kid he was running from and lost. This just goes to show you that even though the overal picture for state cant be predicted but if u wanna get away from some one in your region its still possible. It is also guttless!!!

February 18, 2000
Email: sullivj2@ohio.edu
Comments: I'd just like to say that I'm very impressed with the amount of research that has gone into Phanatik's latest posts. He/she has produced one of the most rational summations of the current AAA regional situation that I've ever seen on this website. The proposed regional re-alignment is also well thought-out and, in my opinion, quite feasible.

I will agree wholeheartedly that some of the state's best wrestlers are in region 2 right now and that several of those wrestlers could qualify in other regions, but a few years back the same was true in region 1. (In 1995 a Region 1 fifth-seeded wrestler went on to win both the regional and state tournaments.) Who's to say that in a few years the talent won't shift to one of the other regions? The WVSSAC cannot re-align regions based simply on talent, but they should be able to make adjustments based on the number of competing teams in each region. Phanatik's suggestions would even out the playing field a little more. Thanks, Phanatik, for an interesting and thought-provoking post!

February 18, 2000
comments: I want to say congratulations to the Moundsville Junior High Wrestling team! You guys had a great season! A big thanks goes out to our coaches - Coach Paul Simmons and Coach J.J. Corley. Also thanks to everyone who supported out team. Congrats to Zac Alex Jeremy Lee Logan Sean Jason Gavin Aaron Paul David Dylan Caleb Shawn S. Shawn M. Zach Kevin Jese Corey Jack Chris Matt Tim and Brian. Hope to see you guys at state!

February 18, 2000
comments: http://www.timeswv.com/localspt.html
http://www.dominionpost.com/archive/sports/sports/000218N/000218N.HTM
http://205.164.209.108/cpubco/cgi-bin/LiveIQue.acgi$rec=751cbgCurrentSports?cbgCurrentSports
http://dailymail.com/news/Sports/200002187/
http://www.westondemocrat.com/Sports/Sports_AnnualWrestling.htm
http://www.westondemocrat.com/Sports/Sports_MatmenPlace.htm
http://register-herald.com/localspt.htm#STORY1
http://register-herald.com/localspt.htm#STORY2
article on regionals

February 18, 2000
comments: Casey Hughes - great season and good luck at states!

February 18, 2000
comments: Way to go DAVID KUHN : 28-0!!

February 18, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Steve Reynolds from Harpers Ferry. I know for a fact he is a fine young man and fantastic wrestler. His "Junior High" record is one to smile upon. But I know of one "Middle School" wrestler with just a few more wins. And you know what? You both wrestled for JJWA but live miles away now. I think that's pretty neat. Steve I'll look forward to watching both you and Blane in the State Tournament next year.

February 18, 2000
comments: Are the State Tournament Pills selected after the regionals so they can make sure the two top boys (their oppinion) don't meet up till the final?
Editor's note: The drawing of the "pill" is a blind draw done by the WVSSAC officials. It is pure chance which of three bracket formats will be used. FOLLOW THIS LINK to pill information...

February 18, 2000
email: cradcli2@wvu.edu
comments: This is just my personal opinion...but I think if they selected the tournament pills before regionals some boys would intentionally lose to put themselves in a better position at the state tournament. I know not all of them would. Even now boys are trying to predict who's going to end up where so they can avoid each other. Do you see what I'm saying?

February 18, 2000
email: junkins@ab.edu
comments: I think it is important to not draw the state pills until after regionals. If one kid is ranked #2 in the state going into regionals and knows if he wins his region that he will be in the same half-bracket as the #1 ranked guy he may likely throw the match so that he can make the state finals. Only problem with that is what if both of them throw the match in fear of each other. That's why you just wrestle...
You are right though maybe certain wrestlers should be seeded but then it makes the sport too political you know how bad regional seedings get imagine states!
Editor's note: Sean, I think you have it about right...

February 18, 2000
comments: to comments: Not to take anything away from Regelbuto or Moats they are both outstanding wrestlers and have "paid the price" I think there should be a co-MOW if deserving case in point last year at 99 State a undefeated wrestler with All American status as a sophomore pinned a state champion Sr. tech. falled his finals opponent and scored more points than any other participant at the tournament and was not even recognized. Like I said If deserving!

February 18, 2000
comments: Response to 2/18/00 post: Samples may have beaten Walters once but he won't do it again!!! Wait & see ....

February 18, 2000
comments: I would like to give thanks to the man that got Regalbuto Moats and Shetler into wrestling; Bryan's dad Pete Moats. Moats was one of the original coaches for the Berkeley County Bears in 1988. Our family would like to say thank you to Pete. He was always the wrestlers on the team's favorite coach. He showed leadership respect and knowledge for the sport. Pete Moats is what a role model should be.
I would also like to give thanks to the man that continued these three's training. Tony Regalbuto who is Anthony's father worked hard to get a summer camp going where these three along with other wrestlers could come and work their skills to there peak. Tony put a great deal into these sessions and should be respected for it.
In addition I would once again like to say thank you to Pete and Tony for helping these wrestlers to become the high school stars that they are today.
I'm sure all the parents that have been associated with the Bears and the summer camps along with the former and current wrestlers reflect on their knowledge from time to time.
WE LOVE YOU GUYS. THANK YOU.

February 18, 2000
comments: I was just wondering why that on the AAA individual polls some weight classes have only 7 people ranked and other weight class have 10-11 people ranked? If someone knows please let me know.Thanks

February 18, 2000
comments: FYI- SAMPLES FROM PARKERSBURG BEAT WALTERS FROM CABELL

February 18, 2000
comments: you all make me sick crying about your region being sooo tuff you poor babies. your already making excusses why South Won state and they havent even won it yet. What are you going to do when they do win state and your already out of excusses. I would save a few if i were you.

February 18, 2000
comments: what time does wrestling start at the AA/A region II tournament?

February 18, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Steve Reynolds of Harpers Ferry Junior High. Our research indicates that Steve is the only junior high wrestler in West Virginia history to win 100 career matches! Steve posted records of 33-2 as a 7th grader and 40-1 records as both an 8th and 9th grader for a career record of 113-4! He wrestled at 110 lbs. this year and will take his skills on to Jefferson High next season. Way to go Steve!

February 18, 2000
comments: I agree with many of the readers that a realignment is called for in the 4 AAA regions. I know region 1 would welcome 2 more teams now can we get anyone to listen in the WV atheletic comm. to decide who those teams may be? One thing that I disagree a little on however is that South would not qualify as many wrestlers for state with 2 added teams. Remember quality not quantity always rises to the top!Thanks!

February 18, 2000
comments: Why is it that the State Tournament Pills are not selected until after Regionals? Random is random no matter when it's done. And the Regional Champions SHOULD really be seeded. It wouldn't be hard and it wouldn't be time consuming. But what it would do is make for a "fair" championship match.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page