West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 2004 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 10, 2004
comments: to the person who re-aligned all the regions in AAA on the January 7 forum. Your forgot North Marion. Wassup?

January 10, 2004
comments: To the Barboursville Middle School coaches and staff. Thanks for the well run tournament today. Although snow shorted out our plans and shortened the event to one day, everyone I spoke to seemed to agree that you guys did a great job in a difficult situation. The tournament director ran everything like clockwork and provided complete results print outs to the coaches. The Medina board made it go quickly and the idea of using PowerPoint to project the bout numbers up on the wall was a good one. Also, congratulations to the Cammack Blue Streaks as we (Milton) finished runner up to you yet again. Hope to see everyone still wrestling on all teams after grades come out at the end of the semester. Wrestlers - hit the books then hit the mat.

January 10, 2004
comments: I saw in the university scores that turnbull was at 125, and garvin was goin 125 and 130. If turnbull stays at 125 we'll be in for another exciting shyver turnbull match. What'd I'd really like to see is turnbull jump up to 130 and wrestle rader.

January 10, 2004
comments: South finishes 4-2 at the Virginia Duals. 145 Osuna Cotto and 152 Sean Smith go 5-0.

January 10, 2004
comments: TO SEEN ALL FOUR well i guess you don't know that metz will be in the finals next week at the big 16 frankfort will see!!!!

January 10, 2004
comments: Just an opinion, but I think everybody is wrong to not pick Hughes #1 in the 152 class. He won Berkeley at 160 and is undefeated, not to mention 2 time state champ. But I do think you all had him ranked #5 a few weeks before state last year too. on another note, he weighed in and wrestled 145 today. so here's what i think, since everyone has an opinion. If Hughes stays at 152, I think he wins. No questions... Metz and Northcraft aren't as good as him and I think Bosley is the guy he wrestles in the finals. If he stays at 145, he wins with little problems and then Devin Bosley (whom he is good friends with) wins 152. I would like to see them both win ad I definitely think they are both severely underrated.

January 10, 2004
comments: South vs Parkersburg, as I see it. McCartney pulls a trick out of Schenny's bag and weighs Smith and Osuna Cotto in at 145 and Munday and Norman in at 160. What could happen?

103-Stilgenbauer dec. Keller. Big Reds 3 South 0
112-Townsend pins Bodenhoff. South 6 PHS 3
119-Hayes dec. McCray. Big Reds 6 South 6 (Hayes better make weight or else McCray dec. Ewing.)
125-Shyver dec. Kelley. Big Reds 9 South 6
130-Rader pins Dunn. Big Reds 15 South 6
135-Porter pins Ice. Big Reds 15 South 12
140-Smith pins Bailey. South 18 Big Reds 15
145-Smith dec. Litton. South 21 Big Reds 15
(1st switch of the night. Frerichs has beaten Litton and Smith has beaten Frerichs. Makes one think, doesn't it?)
152-OsunaCotto pins Chichester. South 27 Big Reds 15
160-Munday pins Combs. South 33 Big Reds 15 (2nd switch of the night. I sense momemtum for South)
171-Norman pins Myers. South 39 Big Reds 15 (3rd smitch of the night. Mo keeps rolling.)
189-Walters pins Lindamood. South 45 Big Reds 15 (Oooh! Lindamood not a sure win. Where's the fat lady?)
215-Thomas pins Radcliff. South 45 Big Reds 21
HWT- Dearman pin Dorton. South 45 Big Reds 27

January 10, 2004
comments: University vs JM, Only good match that i can see is Richey VS Campbell. Richey has lost by pin in his other two tough matches. It will be interesting to see how he stacks up with campbell.

January 10, 2004
comments: I think Robert Ward form independence and rash will win states but who is matt stewart??? never heard of him and shady is lookin very stong this year

January 10, 2004
comments: Osuna Cotto and Litton have never wrestled against each other in high school. It will be a good match to watch though.

January 10, 2004
comments: Congrats to Ryan Ewing 119 for PHS winning the title at 119 pounds. This kid could step it up to varsity 112 and make an impact.

January 10, 2004
comments: I love this site but I love it for wrestling news from all over the state, not just PHS and South. That seems to be the only following lately. Please, other people surely have more to talk about than just these two teams. It just makes people want to root against both teams because that is all we hear about.

January 10, 2004
comments: Does anyone have any predictions for the University vs. John Marshall match on Jan. 14?

January 10, 2004
comments: When my son was 10 years old, the boy that took second in the state (hwt) weighed 242 lbs.. My son weighed about 115ish. This large child was not a very good wrestler. I feel he won 95% of his matches due to his size. Wrestling is supposed to promote good health and good sportmanship. I feel that the unlimited weight class promoted neither. USA and AAU federations both have limits on size differences, the WV Junior State should,also. The primary reason this issue hasn't been corrected years ago, is due to costs. There are fewer kids in the heavyweight class, therefore it would cost more money per entry for trophies, etc.. This is unexceptable. I have some first hand knowledge of this. I believe that the Wood County Rec. has a moral and legal obligation to correct this problem before someone gets hurt. Unfortunately I think that you will have to consult a lawyer, and force this issue. This is not a new issue and it needs attention. It's gone on far too long.

January 10, 2004
comments: lmob says he could beat ratteaser, I've never seen lmob wrestle and only seen ratteaser wrestle once (a huge loss) so it would probably be pretty even. Although ratteaser could buy out the match if he wanted.

January 10, 2004
January 10, 2004
comments: GREAT JOB BUSICK! BRANKO BUSICK 150LBS 7TH GRADE, YOUR DOING A GREAT JOB CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU WRESTLE IN HIGH SCHOOL.

January 10, 2004
comments: PHS will have only 3 seniors, 6 juniors, 3 sophmores and 2 freshmen. Shiver, Thomas and Dearman are the only seniors.

January 10, 2004
comments: To: Butch
If you go to WWW.mattalkonline.com, there is a link toward the bottom of the page to the Virginia Duals. If you click on the "National HS", you will get the brackets and the individual dual match results. As of 1:00pm today, South is in the second round of consolations and are supposed to wrestle Trinity (PA) at noon. They got beat in the 1st round by Nazareth (PA) 42-24 and they beat Kingsley (NJ) 35-30 in the first round of the consolations this morning.

As soon as I get the results of their next match, I'll post the score.

January 10, 2004
comments: Where are the JCI results?!?!?! Also Souths 145 pounder cannot beat litton, Not 100 percent sure on this but I think the only guys litton has lost to in WV over the past 2 years is grogg and easter.

January 10, 2004
comments: can somebody please post some individual results from the JCI.

January 10, 2004
comments: To all you South fans that are saying PHS 145lber will win at the dual match. Osuna Cotta is just getting started and will prove himself come Feb. Good luck to both fine young men.

b>January 10, 2004
comments: Was wondering if anyone can send me or post the results for South at the Va. Duels. Also wanted to say hello to all the great South fans out there and we do miss everyone and the great program at South. Went to a couple of matches here in Myrtle Beach and the wrestling here is not even close to what there is in WV, but the weather is much better. We will keep up with the South program with great interest and hopefully if everything works out ok, we will be at the state tournament this year. Good luck to all the South wrestlers this year.

January 10, 2004
comments: Congratulations to Ripley for winning the JCI tournament and to Seth Phalen for winning "Most Outstanding Wrestler". He defeated Rash from Independence in the finals. It's too bad the weather forced some schools not attend and the tournament was shortened to one day.

January 10, 2004
comments: It will be interesting to watch the dual between PHS and South. Both are young teams. If the 112 projected wrestler for PHS gets down to 112, the line ups will be very comparable as far as age goes: PHS will have 4 seniors, 5 juniors, 3 sophs, and 2 freshmen; South will have 4 seniors, 4 juniors, 4 sophs, and 2 freshmen. It should be fun!!!!!!!!!!

January 10, 2004
comments: Thanx Iron for that Info. that suz what happened to nitro invite this weekend now in about 7 hours we have to have a 24 team braket tournie is one day.

January 10, 2004
comments: In response to the weight concerns in jr. wrestling...I will have to agree with the safety issue. There has to be enough kids to split the unlimited weight class for the state tournament, or others for that matter. It is definitely worth looking into. What will it take to have this evaluated further?

January 9, 2004
comments: I read all of this talk about the bigred,South match I think it will be close lets say SOUTH 35 PHS 33 . (Parkersburg High School) Calls itself the school of champions But I dont think it can Handle a very young SOUTH TEAM!!!!!!

January 9, 2004
comments:
103-south-3
112-south-6
119-south-3
125-phs-3
130-phs-6
135-south-6
140-south-6
145-phs-3
152-south-6
160-south-6
171-south-6
189-phs-3
215-phs-6
unl-phs-6

south-42
phs-27

January 9, 2004
comments: If you want to be a wrestling champion follow these simple steps. Take a longboat and twenty of your finest men. There you will find a village, pillage, plunder, and burn all you find. Carry your magic hammer. Beware the trap set by the frost giant. Stick to Thor's plan and you'll be a champ in no time.

January 9, 2004
comments: To INTHEKNOW: Did phs find a 112 lber?

January 9, 2004
comments: This season at 190 Andy Stevens from Riverside High School is gonna show some great potential in the state tournament. Stevens placed 3rd in states last yr and is looking for that big 1st to hang on his wall. The kid has great charisma and strategy on the mt that rivals even Mitch Smiths's watch out for him this year.

January 9, 2004
comments: Will the Jackson county tournament be wrestled on Saturday?
Editor's note: I got word from a reliable source that the JCI will be completed Friday, but no OFFICAL word from a tournament official, so I am reluctant to post an official announcement.

January 9, 2004
comments: Not dissin no one, but this is my take on the A-AA 152 mix: First, the most overlooked playa is Bosley. Beat Hughes last year at Berkeley, quality kid with a great work ethic, definately in finals unless bracketed with Hughes, then a toss-up. Haven't seen Metz since last year, but he don't want nona Hughes or Bosley. Seen Northcraft and Smith at South. Hughes would defeat either healthy (and he is for a change). It was a match between two teams from schools with tradition, but during a down year. Neither will win states, maybe not even second. I expect Williamstown would have walked away with both duals if they fill all weights. It gave all small schools hope for a state title unless OG has another lineup hidden somewhere. Just my thoughts.

January 9, 2004
comments: of course i am not south's biggest fan..sarcasm is higher order thinking..so south's fan's response was predictable...my predictions for the match are forthcoming....for south fans..i'll post them soon!

January 9, 2004
comments: Prediction for the PHS South match

103-Stilgenbauer dec. Keller-Seen both of these guys wrestle, Stilgenbauer impressed me more. PHS 3 South 0

112-Townsend fft.-South gets an easy 6 unless ewing makes weight to wrestle. South 6 PHS 3

119-Hayes dec.McCray-McCray is tough, but jake gets the dec. PHS 6 South 6

125-Shyver MD Kelley-Kelly isn't as good as I thought he'd be, and we all know who robert shyver is. PHS 10 South 6

130-Rader pins Matt Dunn- The name rader sums it all up. PHS 16 South 6

135-Porter dec Ice- Porter just a bit better than ice, but Ice is tough and will wrestle to a decision. PHS 16 South 9

140-Smith MD Bailey-Smith is an excellent wrestler, but bailey looked real good against JM. PHS 16 South 13

145-Litton dec Osuna Cotto- After I saw litton beat richey this was a no brainer. PHS 19 South 13

152-Smith pin Chichester- Smith keeps on getting better, and has more experience than the other sean. PHS 19 South 19

160-Norman pin Combs- Norman very impressive so far. South 25 PHS 19

171-Walters pin myers or adkins- no comment South 31 PHS 19

189-Lindamood dec Radcliffe- Both wreslters on a high right now, lindamood just a bit better. South 31 PHS 22

215- Thomas pin Young- Thomas, need I say more? South 31 PHS 28

HWT- Dearman pin Dorton- The first time they met sums this match up

PHS wins 34 South 31

January 9, 2004
comments: i think that tra mchenry is one of the best wrestlers to ever come out of west by god virgina

January 9, 2004
comments: When is the State Tournament going to get with the times.

The 7&8 year old 82lbs. & over unlimited class is a travesty. The weight difference between some wrestlers in that division is extremely unfair and more importantly unsafe!! You have potential matches putting an 82 or 83 lb. kid against a kid weighing as much as 160lbs, twice his or her body weight. What is it going to take for a simple change, a serious injury? There are some very good wrestlers that will not be competing in some of the tournaments including the STATE because of this problem. Some other important tournaments have implemented a light heavy division and the STATE MEET should follow the lead.

This is utterly ridiculous to expect a small kid to compete with such a severe weight difference.

PLEASE TAKE ACTION BEFORE A CHILD GETS INJURED!!!!!!!
SIGNED,
A VERY CONCERNED FATHER AND FAN

January 9, 2004
comments: It's fun to make predictions, then see how much you thought you knew. In the PHS-South dual, don't be surprised if PHS wins 103, 112, 119, 125, 130, 145, 189, 215 and 275. With pins at 103,112,125,130,145,215 and 275. Close..... I don't think so. My prediction is PHS-48, South 24. We'll see soon enough.

January 9, 2004
comments:
1o3-Haslip-muss.
112-Shelter-hed.
119-Shumate-n.m.
125-Mchenry-n.m.
130-Lodge-n.m.
135-Gustines-jeff.
140-Barbour-mart.
145-Conner-mart.
152-Gustines-jeff.
160-Sella-hed.
171-Ray-e.f.
189-Dellagatti-f.sen.
215-Nicholson-hed.
275-Valentine-e.f.

January 9, 2004
comments: I have been reading many comments on here about the AA 152 lb weight class.Metz and Hughes should both be considered as favorites,depending on who might be the fan writing on here.But...with that said,I watched Northcraft vs. Sean Smith of South,who is a very good wrestler,and Northcraft does'nt wrestle like a 10th grader!He is very strong and polished for his age.It should be very interesting come the end of February!Good luck to all three fine wrestlers!

January 9, 2004
comments: I would like to give a shout out and a major reawakening to the state of West Virginia. Hughes is definitely the most underrated wrestler in the state! Yeah Metz is good, close to great, but so is hughes, as a matter a fact, he is great, winning two state championships, and getting a injury default in his sophmore year, which kept him from getting his third previoulsy. But just for all you doubters, he's got a heck of an advantage against metz, and by no means do I say metz isn't good, both great, but sounds like hughes needs someone to back him up!

January 9, 2004
comments: To "ratteaser": We all know you are not a South fan...why get on here and say that...trying to get back in Doc's good graces? How about the outcome of the big dual between South/phs...care to quess? I,m saying that 3 or 4 points will be diffence...let you know next week which way!

January 9, 2004
comments: Want to congratulate the eagles on their win over the Williamsport (MD) Wildcats. Love to see them win that dual. Long time rivalry from way back in junior league. It was great to see Anthony Regalbuto assistant coaching just wish he was doing it at Hedgesville instead of Williamsport. Anyway best of luck to you Ant and to your young team. Want to wish good luck to the eagles in this weekends Jefferson Inv. going in Archbishop Curley is probably top seed to win and is an extremely tough team but I know you guys will do your best to represent yourselves and your school.

Also in response to the question on a post on the 8th from the editor about referrees and the rule about being able to kick spectators out. I was a referree for a season and my brother in law has been one for many seasons now and yes that rule is still in effect. If a spectator becomes to unruly that person may be removed from the premises. I would like to see some tournament officials get more proactive in this instead of always just leaving it up to the referree. The referree should be able to concentrate on doing their job instead of also officiating the crowd. I know that I have in the past got caught up in the match and excitement and probably crossed some lines with things I yelled although I can say I've never been kicked out. But still people need to realize that most times and I repeat most times the referrees are trying to do the best they can. Many referrees are out their doing it because they love the sport and the kids involved. Referrees are people too and do make mistakes. Still there are some fans who really take it way too far. Next time someone wants to bash a ref for an honest mistake and I mean honest mistake then maybe they should look in the mirror and see if the person looking back is always perfect. As the saying goes those who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones.

January 9, 2004
comments: THANK YOU!!!!! I would think that a ref knew what he was getting into when he took the job. Unless he had never been to a wrestling match before! They ARE getting paid for the job and should expect loud fans, especially at big duals and tournaments. Thanks for taking the side of the fan.

January 9, 2004
comments: Parkersburg and Canon McMillan were both in the Powerade tournament. Parkersburg finished 23.5 points ahead. But you never know about tounaments, because the three teams that finished in front of Parkersburg in that tournament finished behind them in the Beast of the East. Walsh Jesuit, the winner of the Powerade, also finished behind Parkerburg in the Ironman.

January 9, 2004
comments: How can you question the toughness of the ironman tournament? The top teams in the nation go to that tournament. Blair, St.eds, St paris graham, and the list goes on.do you actually believe that any other team besides phs and south in WV could place as high as they did? The tournaments wrestlers, many number 1 guys go there. and most wrestlers there are ranked nationally. I do often get confused with the panhandles. haha but I agree that oak glen should win state this year, I was impressed with northcraft when I saw him wrestle sean smith. I think it will be close though this year. But I gotta go catch some of the JCI and maybe nitro tourny tomorrow so maybe I'll see you at states.

January 9, 2004
comments: BIGCHUCK: It will all comes down to who pins and who doesnt, South should get pins at 52, 60, and 71. PHS should pin at 19, 30, 215, and HWT. But I believe all schools teach their kids to stay off their backs so it'll be a dog fight but I see PHS by 5. But remember what happened last year, everyone said PHS gonna win by 3 or 4, then they won 41-14. Also if south knocks off PHS then I think they would deserve to take over at number 1.

January 9, 2004
comments: I don't want to turn this into a contentious conversation, Iron, so this is the last I'm going to say. Canon Mac isn't a West Virginia team, it's true, but neither are most of the schools in the Ironman. That's what raises the question about relative toughness of the tournaments.

I am talking about the northern Panhandle, not the eastern. And, while I'm quite confident that Oak Glen will win the AA/A title again this year, they wouldn't win the AAA title. They'd finish third behind the two Parkersburg teams. But, I don't think that either Parkersburg team would finish 100 points ahead of them, or Brooke for that matter. If Parkersburg replaced Canon Mac at the Brooke Classic this year, the top three would have been closer, in my opinion.

Maybe we can get some of this sorted out at the state tournament.

January 9, 2004
comments: thanks doc for letting the thoughts of ratteaser be heard..i am the parkersburg south's biggest fan!!..go oak glen
i was at a college match where the ref penalised the home team a team point for a particular fan...
congrats to litton on his victory...big red coaches work hard!

January 9, 2004
comments: Ratteaser... Do you know who I am??? I am not saying that you couldn't beat me in wrestling, but you would have a very hard time pinning me... Anyway, what are your predictions on the PHS-South battle this year... Do you give weight by weight predictions... I'd like to hear what you think...

January 9, 2004
comments: Just like you Oak Glen folks to underestimate Hughes...guess 2 State Championships isn't enough and he'll have to prove once again that he is the most UNDERRATED wrestler in the state.

January 9, 2004
comments: If a ref is concentrating 100% on the match he would have the crowd and coaches tuned out. I've been around wrestling 15yrs. plus, coaching and refing. Anyone whos been around knows that refs have selective hearing, as I do myself. We are being paid so toughen up the skin alittle. As long as no one touches or threatens, just officiate the match. I think midget league is way worse with the yelling, and running of the mouth. I think that some of my collegues have forgotten about those days.

January 9, 2004
comments: people need to stop posting stuff on here that they obviously in the final outcome of things don't know about.. so stop running your mouths on here and give the wrestlers encouragement instead of insulting them.

January 9, 2004
comments: IF SOUTH BEATS phs IN THEIR DUAL MATCH, WILL SOUTH TAKE OVER THE NUMBER ONE RANKING??? EVERYONE KNOWS THAT WHEN IT COMES TO THIS MATCH, THAT THE big reds ARE COACHED TO STAY OFF OF THEIR BACKS AND TO AVOID BEING PINNED. I THINK SOUTH WILL WIN THE DUAL THIS YEAR BY OUT PINNING phs

January 9, 2004
comments: Wrestling is a GREAT sport! And this forum is wonderful! I have always enjoyed reading all the comments (and even jabs). It is good for the wrestlers to be able to get on here and see there names posted. Hey guys, if someone is taking the time to sit down and blow off about you, consider it a compliment! They must be worried about facing you! You've got to have confidence and even be a little (and I do emphasize LITTLE) cocky to make it in wrestling. People are going to play mind games. It is all part of wrestling!! Prove yourself on the mat, leave it there and you don't have to speak a word!! Good Luck Wrestlers!!

January 9, 2004
comments: JCI Finals Predictions
103 - Rash fall Phalen (1st period)
112 - Billings fall Sexton (quick pin)
119 - Ellis dec Griffin (close match)
125 - Biddle dec Cooper (good match)
130 - Cullen dec Kurnott (4-2)
135 - Allen fall Robb (:50 second pin)
140 - Smith TF Dye (no comment)
145 - Elder dec Bonecutter (OT match)
152 - Mundy fall Hodges (Mundy over whoever)
160 - Smith fall Warner (3rd period pin)
171 - Tracewell dec Carr (3-2)
189 - Smith dec Ward (OT match)
215 - Lowe dec Gralley
275 - Anderson dec Crookshanks

January 9, 2004
comments: 152...... with Devin Bosley moving to 160 it opens this class up a little bit, it looks to be a race between Rhett Northcraft, Eric Metz, and returning champ Casey Hughes. I know on my predictions i had Metz winning it and many people thought i should have put hughes since he is the defending champion in this weight class. I still like Metz as of right now. That could be because I have seen him wrestle this year. I have yet to see Northcraft or Hughes. Well here is my predictions for the 152 lb class as of 1-9-04........ just my prediction......
1. Metz - Calhoun (I just can't see him losing)
2. Hughes - Cameron (2 x champ)
3. Northcraft - Oak Glen (as a Soph. lacks experience of the other two)
4. Dennis - Ravenswood (need to see some results from him)
5. Efaw - Grafton (could move ahead of Dennis soon)
6. Miller - Wirt (we will see how he does at JCI)
We should get a match between #4 Dennis and #6 Miller at JCI....Miller one the first match, BUT I am not convinced yet.

January 9, 2004
comments: January 8, 2004
comments: In response to the concerned coach, I AGREE! My son is in that situation and it has definitely become a concern. He has wrestled Unlimited and was recently moved to the 100 lb. weight class in his conference. This is his second year of wrestling and he has wrestled guys up to 60 lbs.....
It may be about the same in high school. 220 lbs against 274 lbs? I have seen it. Today, there must be enough kids at this weight to put in another weight class. High school and jr. high.

January 9, 2004

comments: From: Panhandle Fan
comments: Iron, please read what I said again; it's in English.
"Parkersburg teams excepted" means that except for the Parkersburg teams, what I am about to say is true. And, it is. Read more carefully and respond less quickly this time.
Perhaps it's only that I don't live in the world of the hypothetical, but I didn't ask you to imagine what would happen at any event, I told you to check what actually did happen. Do that and you will see that I am quite correct. It remains true that Parkersburg team excepted, the best WV wrestling is in the northern panhandle.
I don't think the last statement can be disputed.

January 9, 2004
comments: January 7, 2004
comments: I just arrived home from the PHS JM dual and PHS dominated. Some great matches with litton pinning richey in the 3rd period. litton was leading 9-1 when he pinned. Another good match was lindamood and ewing. lindamood locked up the cradle in the 3rd period to win. But PHS looked really good. only lost 2 matches 152, and 171. and 112 forfeit.
Richey is one heck of a wrestler, kudos to Litton. I have seen Richey for 4 years, know his father. Can't wait to see them go at it at the regionals

January 9, 2004
comments: Region 2 AAA Champions
103- Haislip-Muss. or Gus
tines-Jeff.
112- Shetler -Hedge. 119- Shumate-N.Marion
125- Mchenry-N.Marion
130- Lodge-N.Marion. or Henry-Mart.
135- Gustines-Jeff. or C.Conner-Mart.
140- Barbour-Mart.
145- R. Conner-Mart.
152- Foltz-Hedge.
160- Sella-Hedge
171- Ray-E.F. or Ammons-Hedge.(Good match)
189- Young-Hedge.
215- Nicholson-Hedge.
275- Valentine-E.F. (No Contest)

January 9, 2004
comments: I think Tyler Wilson is a good wrestler and may be in Nitros finals but i think the state champion for 145 this year will be Matt Stewart from indy. 103 will be rash, 119 will be neal from shady. 135 will be derek scarbro from shady. 152 will be metz. 189 will for sure be to robert ward. all the others are a toss up
Did you forget about last years 189 champion from WP?

January 9, 2004
comments: roanes 119lb is 16-0 so far going into the jackson county tournement. how do you think he will place there, also in states? i'd pick him top the top4 or 5 at states and i think he can beat billings this year if he wrestles a good smart match like he can. (please respond)!!!!!
Watch out for Humphrey from Wheeling, he is healthy this year,and very hungry.

January 8, 2004
comments: In response to the concerned coach, I AGREE! My son is in that situation and it has definitely become a concern. He has wrestled Unlimited and was recently moved to the 100 lb. weight class in his conference. This is his second year of wrestling and he has wrestled guys up to 60 lbs. heavier than him. He goes out there and gives it his all and, I must say, has surprised them at times. However, it has become a concern for his safety...if the other guy lands on him the wrong way, he could break a bone or otherwise be hurt seriously. In addition, when there is such a weight difference, neither wrestler gets to truly use their talents. The lighter wrestler does what he can to get the bigger one down and no matter how much skill you have, that is sometimes not enough. Likewise, the bigger wrestler may not get to use his skills because he is afraid of truly hurting the other wrestler or does not get a chance to use them. It is unfair to both sides. My son won states last year, in his first year, but his father and I will truly reconsider bringing him this year if we have to worry about such a large weight discrepancy. Why would we purposely put our son in a position to get seriously hurt and/or discouraged in a sport he enjoys so much? I think it works out for both sides if there is a light heavyweight and heavyweight. That way both weight classes are more evenly distributed and the wrestlers are matched against others closer to their own size. In all reality, there could be as much as a 60-80 lb. weight difference if there is not a breakdown in the unlimited weight class. Does that even seem appropriate? or safe?

January 8, 2004
comments: PHS FAN: Yes they do get paid for their services but if you were in the refs shoes, would you want to be getting yelled at? For coaches to get upset is normal, I know the fans and parents want their kids to win but just put yourself in the ref's shoes.

January 8, 2004
comments: Iron, Panhandle is talking about the northern panhandle not the Eastern panhandle.

January 8, 2004
comments: With all the young man on the PHS wrestling team. There's got to be someone who can wrestle at 112?

January 8, 2004
comments: is anyone going to post the brackets for the nitro tournment

January 8, 2004
comments: Panhandle fan: alright alright thats my fault, I sometimes get confused. Your are right they probably wouldnt finish 100 points above Canon mac in a tourny but CM isnt even in WV. oh well. But I dont know who the panhandle teams are but I always look to see how jefferson is doing. I met on of their wrestlers dads last year and he was a nice guy. so i root for jefferson and i also like hedgesville also.

January 8, 2004
comments: This comment is in response to a post stating that "a few PHS fans got a little crazy yelling at a ref". The last time I checked a referee was paid for his/her services and therefore should be subject to criticism. Wrestling is an emotional sport and yelling at a ref comes with the territory. Just a thought. Editor's note: I was at a match one time when the ref stopped the match, came up into the stands, and warned a fan to behave or be ejected from the premises. This might be over the top, but Rule 7-5-6 in the NF rulebook states "A spectator who acts in an unsportsmanlike manner may be removed from the premises. When requested by the referee, the home management shall be responsible for the removal of spectators who become offensive. This shall be done without penalty to either team." My rulebook is a little old, but I think that rule is current. How 'bout it refs - is that still the rule?

January 8, 2004
comments: To all the forum participants, who are using this forum as a place to execute psychological warfare...STOP IT... remember that there are human beings attached to the names you are typing. Before submitting comments, please keep in mind that words can cut like a sword.

To all you wrestler's out there that are dedicated and hard working...remember:

1. You can do anything if you set your mind to it!
2. On any given day, anyone can be beaten.everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time.
3. Postings on this forum are simply someone's "opinion", so don't let anything said on here hurt or discourage you...you know what they say about opinions anyway :)

January 8, 2004
comments: I think the South/phs match will a 3 or 4 point difference...closer than one might first think,but it is a battle between the top 2 wrestling programs in WV and should be exciting! You're the dog in this one South so raise the bar and win this thing!Good luck!

January 8, 2004
comments: who are phs and parkersburg south's 112 pounders??

January 8, 2004
comments: go big reds....ratteaser must be heard doc!..i can pin lmob
Editor's note: You are right. Your last 10 posts have been deleted. I don't know what the reference is to lmob, but probably it is something that will get me in hot water. I wish you guys would give me a break....

January 8, 2004
comments: Thinking about it a bit more, Iron, if I were to enter the world of the hypothetical, I don't judge that Parkersburg or South would finish 100 points ahead of Canon MacMillan in any tournament.

January 8, 2004
comments: Casey Hughes is not going to win states this year. But neither is Metz. Rhett Northcraft is going to win a title as a Sophomore if he keeps up the hard work. He is on his way to being one of the best wrestlers in the state in AA/A.

January 8, 2004
comments: Metz has to watch out for Northcraft to. I am of the opinion that northcraft can beat metz and hughes.

January 8, 2004
comments: I heard jake hayes didnt make weight last night for the JM dual. Ryan ewing, the guy who took his place looked real good. I believe he started out at 112 at the beginning of the year. So I think he should fill the void at 112. He could pick up some wins for PHS especially a big one on jan 21.

January 8, 2004
comments: Iron, please read what I said again; it's in English.

"Parkersburg teams excepted" means that except for the Parkersburg teams, what I am about to say is true. And, it is. Read more carefully and respond less quickly this time.

Perhaps it's only that I don't live in the world of the hypothetical, but I didn't ask you to imagine what would happen at any event, I told you to check what actually did happen. Do that and you will see that I am quite correct. It remains true that Parkersburg team excepted, the best WV wrestling is in the northern panhandle.

Please read more carefully and respond less quickly this time.

January 8, 2004
comments: How can you people on here already know who the stae champs will be this year, like for example rash 103, metz 152 and scarbro from shady, its a bunch of bull, did you forget about mahan and northcraft from oak glen

January 8, 2004
comments: aauguru u might want to look at some resultsand who wouyldwrestle whoand who got scared before u make predictions same with who's in what weights ...and bud hercules pinned young that's first in 189 shaw don't even wrestle 140

January 8, 2004
comments: Awesome win to night Chance Litton. That's the way to show the state.

January 8, 2004
comments: i agree griffin can beat billings

January 8, 2004
comments: where are the youth scores. no new ones since last years state? come on people!!!!!
Editor's note: Results from Williamstown Odd Year posted. Have not received others...

January 8, 2004
comments: I agree that Tyler Wilson is a good wrestler, he however is enrolled at AAA school while the rest of the fine wrestlers mentioned are from AA schools. Two separate champions are crowned in WV one in AAA and one in A/AA. Just the facts, corrected.

January 8, 2004
comments: I have heard alot of negative stuff in regards to the weight classes at jr.states.There will be some good wrestlers missing because there is no light heavy weight.It's not because of fear of the "BIG GUYS" but fear of injury.It appears that some tourney's are taken this info and have implementd it.There are alot of coaches concerned on this matter as well.Yes it will cost a little bit more money, but I think they can swing it. Let's get some voices about this subject and see what happens for all our kids sake.

January 8, 2004
comments: If I have time this weekend I was thinking about going to the JCI.....what top teams will be there? I know ripley and williamstown are going....but who else? Also congrats to chance litton and joey lindamood on their big wins tonight. Also I notice that 189 is stacked this year. lindamood, tominack, ewing, nelson, the list goes on.
Editor's note: Brackets posted this afternoon on the website. Kudos to tournament admiistration for making them available...

January 8, 2004
comments: I just wanted to say Good Luck to East Fairmont this weekend at Nitro, special good luck to Jobey Knapton, Chris Greynolds, Billy Ray, Shawn Moore, Corey Noechel and Jessie Valentine. Mom and Me miss getting to see you every weekend but we will be thinking about you! Good Luck!!

January 8, 2004
comments: i dont know what kind of reporter you are but im not going to any other weight but 152. so wherever you are getting your information you should get another source.

January 8, 2004
comments: Jeremy: Lou Thomas is a senior.

January 7, 2004
comments: update the page fatboy

January 7, 2004
comments: I just arrived home from the PHS JM dual and PHS dominated. Some great matches with litton pinning richey in the 3rd period. litton was leading 9-1 when he pinned. Another good match was lindamood and ewing. lindamood locked up the cradle in the 3rd period to win. But PHS looked really good. only lost 2 matches 152, and 171. and 112 forfeit.

January 7, 2004
comments: Devin Bosley, Frankfort, will be wrestling 160 from this point on. Just wanted to let y'all know.

January 7, 2004
comments: To someone

You are wrong on how Ohio Wrestler have to quailfy for the state tournement. There is no Regional tournement

They have a Sectional Tournement where the top 4 in each weight advance to the Districts.

Then is the District tournement. Where the Top 4 from 4 different sectionals wrestle. So its a 16 man bracket. Then the top 4 place winners from each district advance to the State Tournement.

From there they have a 16 man bracket State Tourement much like West Virginia where District champions wrestler 4th place finishers and Runners up wrestle the 3rd place finishers in the first round.

Here is a link to the Ohio version of WVMAT with the sequnce of sectionals, districts and State tournement http://www.kingsnakes.com/OW_2004_Road_to_State_Map.htm

January 7, 2004
comments: Lou Thomas maybe the best wrestler in the state.

January 7, 2004
comments: What Grade is Lou thomas in from Parkersburg.

January 7, 2004
comments: I was at the PHS/ John Marshall dual tonight and a couple of the PHS fans were getting a little crazy with the yelling at the referee. There were a couple close calls but hey the ref's just doin his job. I dont see the fans volunteering to ref. I can just imagine what it will be like at the PHS-South dual.

January 7, 2004
comments: I think Tyler Wilson is a good wrestler and may be in Nitros finals but i think the state champion for 145 this year will be Matt Stewart from indy. 103 will be rash, 119 will be neal from shady. 135 will be derek scarbro from shady. 152 will be metz. 189 will for sure be to robert ward. all the others are a toss up

January 7, 2004

January 7, 2004
comments: roanes 119lb is 16-0 so far going into the jackson county tournement. how do you think he will place there, also in states? i'd pick him top the top4 or 5 at states and i think he can beat billings this year if he wrestles a good smart match like he can. (please respond)!!!!!

January 7, 2004
comments: I have asked you twice to leave me out of forum discussions...yet, I am on them again. Yes, I did beat St. Mary's 215 and got pinned by Roane's...whoop tee doo...that's why we wrestle. I weight 191 every tournament people...I am not out here to impress anyone. I just try to wrestle. And if you don't mind...I've managed to seriously hurt myself trying to impress all of you critics around the state that make this sport no fun at all. You make it work to make sure you aren't a topic of poor conversation on this forum. Once again I am, and I might be done for the season. So thanks for the support. I will really appreciate it if I need the surgery. I won't be at JCI's because of doctors need to see me, and I am hoping that I will return soon. If I don't...well, you will just have to be surprised when someone else beats one of your early season predictions to do well in states.

January 7, 2004
comments: To try and answer your question..."why doesn't the OVAC'S send more people to the states"? Well, they do send several wrestlers to Columbes each year. Traditionally your better wrestlers hale from teams farther north, such as Lakewood St.Eds. Though the Ohio Valley has had numerous State champs and place finishers, their road to the state tournament is much harder to accomplish. If the system has not changed and my mind from years past is still correct, the following is what you have to endure to be at the least a state qualifier in Ohio.
1.District tournament - takes top two place winners to sectionals.
2.Sectionals - sectional champion advances to regionals.
3.Regional - Regional champion advances to the state tournament.
4.States - 16 man bracket with each line represented by a regional champ.

January 7, 2004
email: bill@libertynationalswrestling.com

comments: The early posts are up for the stand out wrestlers (non missouri) to watch for at the Liberty Nationals. you can view them at www.missouriwrestling.com messages and kids. updates will be done daily.

All the entries will be posted by name, age, weight and state on the Liberty Nationals web site, the entry deadline week of jan 24th.

Bracketing info will be available on friday evening feb 13th during weigh ins.

www.missouriwrestling.com for stand out info.

www.libertynationalswrestling.com for event info.

good luck top everyone

January 7, 2004
comments: In other states the regions and sections are divided by the areas you live in not the region you want to be in. So what that 2 of the best teams are in Parkersburg, that is the area you live in and it wouldn't be fair to move one of them because of that. The state should be divided into 4 equal areas for determining regionals and leave it at that. Whats fair about a team being moved to a another region (not even close to where they live) because there are 2 good teams in one area.

January 7, 2004
comments: To. Chuck Wollerie predictor: could you elaborate on at least the top 5 toughest weight classes and tell us why you picked them.

January 7, 2004
comments: To have south and phs in the same region is exciting to watch, but kinda dumb. Like doc said about the basketball teams. The bst 2 teams are in the same region but only 1 gets to go to the show. Wrestling every teams goes to the show but the region is so good, that good wrestlers can sometimes miss a chance to go to state. I know the other regions would hate to see a change. Especially if they saw the P word in their region. PARKERSBURG

January 7, 2004
comments: In response to who said "Some proud fans get a little carried away with their arrogant-sounding comments." I am a proud fan of the Big Red wrestling team. And I'm sorry to say but the arrogant sounding comments are true. I bet you 90 percent of the people who post on this board will tell you, PHS or South will win state. Those 2 teams South especially are the most feared teams in the state. The fans are great on both sides, the atmosphere is awesome. It's wrestling. I do think HHS has a great squad, but how many of them do you see makin the finals? maybe 2, when phs could have up to 6 or 7 and south up to 5. The "arrogant" comment is true, and everyone knows it. Sorry that the Red and Blue are so good.

January 7, 2004
comments: That's right, Metz is going to win 152 in state this year AA/A. Go ahead and believe it. 2X state champ Casey Hughes likes it that way...

January 7, 2004
comments: As most people can see the AAA regional alignment is not very balanced, with 6 of the top 10 teams coming from Region I and 2 from II and 1 from III and IV respectively. This has been the trend for at least the last 5 years with 6 of the 7 of Region I's teams being traditional (or up and coming i.e. University) powerhouses. I really think there is a way to rearrange the regions to balance the power and still keep schools in regions that are in the same area. This would ensure that we have the true top 16 wrestlers at the state tournament. Here is my proposal:
Region I      Region II       Region III         Region IV
Brooke        Hedgesville     Parkersburg S.     Riverside 
Wheeling P.   Martinsburg     Parkersburg        Cabell Midland
John Marshall Jefferson       Buckanon Upshur    Hunington
RCB           East Fairmont   Hurricane          Nitro
University    Fairmont S.     Greenbriar East    St. Albans
Preston       Musselman       Nicolas Co.        Spring Valley
Morgantown    Elkins          George W           Ripley
                                                 W.W.

This would give each region 3-4 solid teams with no Region too weak or too strong. What do you think???

January 7, 2004
comments: I also think its a shame that region one has all the tough wrestling teams. Parkersburg and Parkersburg South alone constitute the best of what the state has to offer, and they are in the same region. I Parkersburg and Parkersburg South could at least be in seperate regions so things would even out more, maybe with one going to region 2 or 3. I dont think either of those regions would like that very much though.

January 7, 2004
comments: According to the amateur wrestling news website. Ranking the top 12 in the in the nation. WV has A. easter 112- 12th, Kyle Turnbull 119-4th, Mitch smith 140-6th, and Lou Thomas 215-3rd. It's odd how shyver is not ranked, probably because his poor showing at the powerade. Rader is not ranked, who knows why. Being runner-up at the 2 toughest tournaments in the nation must not be good enough. Dearman is not ranked, surprisingly after his 3rd ironman, 4th beast, and 1st powerade finishes. PHS though is ranked 17th in teams. good job guys

January 7, 2004
comments: At JCI this weekend, 103 final betwen Ripley's unbeaten Seth Phalen and Indy's Yurtle Rash could be a classic. Ditto for a 125 final between Ripley's Bobby Cooper and Williamstown's Jesse Biddle. Look for Ripley's Mitch Smith and Ravenswood's Judd Billings to dominate theri classes.

January 7, 2004
comments: "I liked wrestling better when there were no poles,"
Well, then, on what did they hang the baskets?

January 7, 2004
comments: In response to the Jan. 7 post about Region 1 AAA being the toughest: You're probably right, and I agree with the problem you mentioned, but then you had to make that statement at the end about the state knowing one of the Parkersburg teams will be on top on Saturday night. While that may have been the result in the past (many times, I guess), every year people are trying to knock one or both of them off. There are alot of good individuals from a number of teams that collectively could beat some of the better Parkersburg kids. A team like Huntington, for example, could emerge on top when the smoke clears. The Parkersburg teams may be the favorites again, but the other contenders can not think it's already a done deal. The coaches and wrestlers themselves tend to approach it with the proper perspective. Some proud fans get a little carried away with their arrogant-sounding comments. Some people think it's OK to be arrogant or cocky if you can back it up, but I suspect that neither of these programs coach their wrestlers to think like that. More likely they will do like everyone else and try to show class whether they win or lose. Often more difficult, but very impressive, is when kids are humble and able to show that class when winning. The coaches and wrestlers seem to handle this OK. Posters that boast about how good ones team is, or make blatant, rude comments through expression of their opinion are more than likely not on the "inside" of these programs.

January 7, 2004
comments: To Wollerie:
I dont know if I'd pick a 2 time state champ to finish 2nd at the class he won last year (Hughes) or why you wouldn't rank Tracewell number #1 either at 171.

January 7, 2004
comments: What teams are going to be at Jefferson Invitational this weekend?

January 7, 2004
comments: I think Archbishop Curley will dominate the Jefferson invitaional again this year . Any thoughts?

January 7, 2004
comments: to pphs fan. I was at the Rhone Duals. P.P.H.S. 215# wrestler did not handle st marys 215# easy.as a matter of fact Rhone's 215# pinned P.P. early and had a dog fight with st. mary's 215#. with only 2 years experience I wouldn't be boasting.

January 7, 2004
comments: To Speed25Kills:
Top weight classes from toughest to weakest are as follows:
1. 152
2. 189
3. 145
4. 125
5. 160
6. 130
7. 140
8. 119
9. 112
10. 135
11. 171
12. 275
13. 215
14. 103

January 7, 2004
comments: Rankings AA/A
1. Rash
2. Burrows
3. Boggs
4. Flowers

1. Valles
2. Cumpston
3. Moffatt
4. Miller

1. Neal
2. Billings
3. O'Neil
4. Pumphrey

1. Scarbro
2. Digmon
3. Ellis
4. Biddle

1. Ashley
2. Mahan
3. Harvey
4. Leithead

1. Chambers
2. Bartrug
3. Chapman
4. McCarty

1. Cumpston
2. Dye
3. Moore
4. DiMarco

1. Elder
2. Stevens
3. Hines
4. Bonecutter/Dye - ?

1. Metz
2. Northcraft
3. Hughes
4. Bosley/Dennis - ?

1. Smith
2. Railing
3. Stewart
4. Mason

1. Tracewell
2. Adkins
3. Carr
4. Burgess

1. Ward
2. Smith
3. McCoy
4. Lauderman

1. Potts
2. Craddock
3. Barnhart
4. Lowe

1. Freda
2. Fegal
3. Manning
4. Wiseman

January 7, 2004
comments:
Teams
1. Williamstown
2. Oak Glen
3. Calhoun
4. Cameron
5. Shady Springs
6. Roane
7. Point Pleasant
8. Berekly Springs
9. Braxton
10. St. Marys

Once again Williamstown, Oak Glen and Calhoun are the top 3 teams this year.

January 7, 2004
comments: To PPHS fan: Updated 215 Rankings with Jake Lowe in the class will be...
1. Potts
2. Lowe
3. Harris
4. Craddock
5. Boone
6. Barnhart
I did see the results from the Roane Duals.....still feel these are the Top 6 in AA/A as of right now.....Thank You.

January 7, 2004
comments: OPRA: The score was a bit lopsided but there were some close matches. But even if you think that some calls were missed or whatever, south still woulda won big.

January 7, 2004
comments: I think seeding the basketball tournament and the state wrestling tournament would be great. Especially in wrestling because I hate seeing the should be championship matches wrestled in the semi's. Then the championship match being lopsided. Take 02 with daggett and courtney, then cournty pins in the finals easily. The best formula would be after regionals, to figure out seeds for the wrestlers. I'm always hearing complaints about the pill, but you'll get complaining everywhere. but until we get a solution. The pill lives on.

January 7, 2004
comments: Panhandle fan: If PHS or South went to those 2 events you listed, Both would dominate. Winning the tourny by over a hundred points, as well as all the duals with ease. as far as the ovac deal, if PHS can place 6th and 8th at the 2 toughest tournaments in the country. Then 4th at another very hard tourny. Then they would dominate the ovac. the beast had i think 82 teams, and they still placed 8th. ironman had 32 i believe. Enough said.

January 7, 2004
comments: To: SSgrappler0548
Look at the WVMAT schedule page. B.U. is in Kentucky this weekend. Point,Wirt and Sissonville are at J.C.I.
To: refs are great....
Editor's note: Went back and looked at that post again, and took it off.

January 7, 2004
comments: What year or years did Mike Mason win state? Thanks in advance.
Editor's note: '91, '92, '93. Go to the State Tournament Page. Look for the link for individual champs.

January 7, 2004
comments: Ok we all know that region 1 is the toughest. This might sound a little crazy but why dont they switch some teams around. I see average teams qualifying their full lineups while south and phs, arguably the 2 best programs in the state. takin 11 or 12 guys. Some guys that do not qualify from region 1, are better than everyone else from the other regions. Oh well whatever does happen, the state knows one of the parkersburg teams stand number 1 saturday night.
Editor's note: Saw a column in the Morgantown paper lamenting the same phenomenon in basketball. The best two BBall teams in the state may be in the same region, only one gets to go to the show. Is the SSAC really considering seeding the BBall states on their ranking, as is done with football???

January 7, 2004
comments: I was wondering what time the Jefferson Invitational started Friday? What time are weigh-ins and when are weigh-ins over?

January 7, 2004
comments: Heres the list of teams for Nitro this weekend, wrestling will start at 1 on Friday, and 10 on Saturday:

Buckhannon-Upshur, Cabell Midland, Calhoun County, Chesapeake OH, Clay County, East Fairmont, George Washington, Huntington, Hurricane, Lewis County, Logan, Nicholas County, Nitro, North Marion, Point Pleasant, RC Byrd, Riverside, Shady Springs, Sheldon Clarke KY, Sissonville, Spring Valley, Winfield, Wirt County, and Woodrow Wilson.

Good luck to everybody competing this weekend.

January 7, 2004
email: Shickman@aol.com
comments: Congratulation to Mike Morton of East Fairmont. I just saw him referee a match at East Fairmont Jr. High. He refereed in Ohio 20 years ago, is a bit rusty(hahahaha) and I enojyed watching him get kicked in the head. Mike, review the videotap to avoid future kickings and to more efficiently move those old bones!!! Take care, keep it up.

January 7, 2004
comments: does anyone know what time the Braxton Co. meet starts on Friday, Jan. 16?

January 7, 2004
email: marmadukerunner@aol.com
comments: if anyone has legitimate information (results, history of the meet, etc.)about the Agie Skeens Invitational in Grundy, Virginia i would greatly appreciate it if you could email it to me.
Editor's note: Someone sent in a bunch of results which I presume is the Agee Skeens, as it included Shady Spring which had this event scheduled. Results posted in the December page....

January 7, 2004
comments: hey to all out there jefferson just won another dual match with the following coming away with a pin let me note that a few of the wrestlers wrestled up a weight class
119 scott chapman
130 jon smith
135 codie gustines
145 brett manus
the rest of these people won by points
103 dougie stere
112 colton gustines
125 zane carrol
152 corie gustines
congrats to the cougars keep up the good work

January 7, 2004
comments: Doc... Love this site... been using it almost daily since 1997..No other state has a site as well as WV's, and that's all thanks to you.. way to go, Playa!
Editor's note: Thanks

January 7, 2004
comments: Igor and OSHA man, you make me laugh. Thanks for two of the few more thought out comments on this site.

January 7, 2004
comments: Message to Iron, thanks for the website. I think that this is what this forum was intended for. Thanks again.

January 7, 2004
comments: what time does south & warren match start

January 7, 2004
comments: anyone have the individual results from the Hedgesville vs. Fairmont Sr. match at the Wheeling Park Duals. The local paper had Hedgesville winning 37-30 but I haven't seen any individual results from this particular dual and am very interested. Also anyone know what teams will be in this weekends jefferson inv?

January 7, 2004
comments: Just like to express my sincere condolenscences to the Regalbuto family on the passing of Nancy Regalbuto, Tonys wife and Ants mom, the matriarch of the family. Nancy was a great person very kind very caring. She was always helping out with the BC Bears and did way more than her share. She was obviously a great mom as is evident by the outstanding children that she and tony raised. She and Tony opened their house to many children over the years giving them a place to train. Again showing the great caring spirit she had. Things just won't be the same without her physically here but I'm sure she is with us spiritually. My heart goes out to the family and If any of you need anything just call. It was great to see so many people at the viewing and that just goes to show how much she was respected and loved by everyone. I want to thank the Regalbutos for everything they've given me and helped me with over the years and again want to express my sympathies on Nan! cys passing.

January 7, 2004
comments: i think people should keep an eye on riversides team. they have a bunch of young kids on the team but are doing a decent job to be so young. i mean they wont give any of the big name schools a run for a team title but they could spoil the day for a few indivduals in this weeks nitro tournment.

January 7, 2004
comments: Bebe, Fairmont States last season, if I remeber right, was 1979-80.
Editor's note: Fairmont State's wrestling program, as with many WV college programs, is widely viewed to be a TITLE IX victim. See discontinued programs and check out our TITLE IX page for further info....

January 7, 2004
comments: Parkersburg teams excepted, the best wrestling in WV is clearly and obviously in the northern panhandle. Just look at how WV schools fare when they come up here and compete. Check the Park duals and Brooke Classic.

January 7, 2004
comments: Southernwrestlingfan, You mean Eric Hinerman. Eric Has been Wrestling for a Number of years with the East Fairmont Junior Wrestling Club.Fine young man! You will be hearing his name a lot in the future.

January 7, 2004
comments: When is the W.V. State youth tournament in Parkersburg??? I cant believe that it is not posted yet. Another great youth tournament is at the Wheeling Civic Center. Smooth tournament and great competition-P.A.,W.V,Ohio and a few kids from V.A. were all there last year. This tournament is not Superbowl Sunday as it was last year so hopefully we should have more kids signed up. Wrestling will be showcased the entire weekend with OVAC's Championships wrapping up on Saturday and then the youth tournament on Sunday. If you want to see some good wrestling plan on attending the OVAC's and the youth tournament on Sunday at the Wheeling Civic Center. Lets get more folks involved with youth on this board. Youth programs are this sports future and we need to get and keep more people involved and excited about wrestling,
Editor's note: Got the form today, and it's posted.

January 7, 2004
comments: To the predictor: Your A/AA 215 ratings need looked at. Tench (PP) handled the Saint Mary's 215 rather easily (only pont allowed were on "kick-outs") It may be only his second full year on the mat, but if he continues to improve-could be heard from at Regionals and States.

January 7, 2004
comments: Good luck to the woodrow wilson wrestlers this weekend at Nitro. Alot of people are underestimating this team. I hope you guys show them what you've got!

January 7, 2004
comments: Magnum, once a 9th grader wrestles in a varsity match, even as an exhibition, he can not wrestle at the jr. high level again. Freshmen teams that compete with jr. highs and middle schools should have nobody on their team who has wrestled even a single varsity match of any kind.

January 7, 2004
comments: if you look at the new team rankings, you can see that region I AAA is far superior to any other in the state. 6 of the top 8 teams are from this region. Somehow this is probably not fair for someone. does this need to be changed, because this seems to be the norm year in and year out.

January 7, 2004
comments: The reason the OVAC is so tough is just because it has so many schools. If PHS or PSHS was in the OVAC they would win it year in year out. Huntington could probably will it also. It is a VERY tough tournament but the reason is the Numbers. More people = more chances for a lose.

January 7, 2004
comments: Good Luck to Wirt at JCI's!!!

January 7, 2004
comments: To South Fan: I promise you if the match would have been wrestled at a neutral site it would have been a much closer match, I was there and I think that if a few calls would have went Oak Glen's way it may have been a different story.

January 6, 2004
comments: I am going to end this discussion about williamstown and the OVAC. Does williamstown wrestle in the OVAC..hmmmm NO, will they ever ummmm NO. So why fight over it. the LKC is good enough. So leave it to rest!

January 6, 2004
comments: southfan: go to www.mattalkonline.com and scroll down and there is a link to the virginia duals. Souths first match is against 3 seed Nazareth,PA. Hope this helps ya.

January 6, 2004
comments: If a 9th grade wrestler starts the season with a high school team and participates in a few matches, can he go back and wrestle with his jr. high? I don't know if there is a cut-off date or whether he can do it at all. Surely the 9th grader can't switch back and forth.
Thanks

January 6, 2004
email: bebegirl731@yahoo.com
comments: Hi: I am having a terrible time trying to find anything at all on Fairmont State College Wrestling. I wanted to get some archived records from the Fairmont State Website, but they do not even recognize wrestling. I dont thing they are wrestling there now, but I AM SURE they did years ago. Please, if anyone can lead me to a site to get some Fairmont State Wrestling records I would be very happy. Thanks again, Bebe

January 6, 2004
comments: To Opra: How can you possibly say the South/Oak Glen match was closer than the score indicated when South won 10 of 14 matches with only 2 matches being close,one for each school? Were you even present to watch the dual?

January 6, 2004
comments: Comments: To Iron
I think your full of ---- to say that Gustine would run away from any competition. If you knew him you would know better than to say something that ignorant.

January 6, 2004
comments: it will be Nelson and Wilson in the 145# championship at nitro this week end. Page won't get past the semi's. huntington will win the tournament with eagles close behind.

January 6, 2004
comments: does anyone know what potts is wrestling for states

January 6, 2004
comments: I think you are underestimating Oak Glen line up this year, theyy had a bad dual meet that was it look at the weight classes that won 103,112,130,215, they are all very good and i expect them to place very high at states plus the other weight classes that didn't win will place high, some will be champs but had very good kids from south and thats why they lost

January 6, 2004
comments: IF those Ohio Schools are so tough in the OVAC why dont they place or send more people to the states over there.

January 6, 2004
comments: You have to think a little hard on this who really cares how high Williamstown and Calhoun would place at the OVAC all that matters is at states and I personally think that the LKC is represented well, by more than just Williamstown and Calhoun, there is Braxton, Wirt, Clay, Ritchie, St. Marys, Ravenswood, Roane. So good luck to all of these.

January 6, 2004
comments: I think this forum needs to be purged of all the BS.
Editor's note: Well gee whiz, if we did that there wouldn't be much left, would there???? (smile)

January 6, 2004
comments: To Wildcat fan:
I wouldn't put Page and Nelson in the finals just yet, The Eagles have a tough 145 as well in Tyler Wilson.

January 6, 2004
comments: KEY POINTS TIME:

1) South 45 Oak Glen 14 - This dual was a lot closer than the score indicated I think. But great job to the South kids and Good Luck against Warren Local this week.

2) PHS has THE best schedule in the State it is absolutly unreal!! I just wanted to say WOW!

3) JCI - this is a good tournament to go to if you want to see some tough wrestling. Williamstown, Ripley, Point Pleasant, and St. Mary's will all be in the hunt for the team title, Ohh dont leave out Greenbrier West....maybe?? ** Star Tournament

4) Pat Vance Invitational - THE BIG "IN-STATE" tournament to watch this week. Calhoun, Nitro, Woodrow Wilson and Shady Spring bring a little competition for the Strong Huntington Highlanders.
*** Star Tournament

5) To Wildcat Fan: Although not from Huntington I am a big Huntington fan. Coach Archer is an awesome coach, the best in my opinion. I will assure you the comments made about the 145lb class will have the Huntington 145lb wrestler ready for the challenge. That match will be a "regional" seeding match as well. Be careful what you wish for you might just get it.

Good Luck to all. mmuuhhhahhh :)

January 6, 2004
comments: who is going to be at the Nitro Tourny???? Any interesting match-ups going to be there??? Editor or fans please respond
... Thank You
Editor's note: I have no information. A check of last year's results may give a clue. We do, of course, post any such information we get in the little gray box near the top of the front page of this website.

January 6, 2004
comments: AA/A individual Rankings, anyone know when they will be comming out??

January 6, 2004
comments: To Chuck Wollerie: would u please rank the weight classes from toughest to weakest in AA/A.......you seem to have done the best job ranking the wrestlers that I have seen so far. Respond Please.

January 6, 2004
comments: You asked for someone to respond to your comments on review of videotaping by the WVSSAC, or others. To referee a wrestling match, you must make maybe 150 judgement decisions in a 6 minute time frame. Mistakes are made occasionally, but I think rarely, when you consider the amount of calls, and non-calls that must be made. For a referee to have in the back of his mind the possibility of someone reviewing his every call, I think the level of quality could go down, rather than up. A lot of decisions that must be made immediately, such as line calls, etc., may not be made at all, and scoring in a match could be affected adversely. You also mentioned a DQ situation. These calls are the hardest for a referee to make, and the hardest for a wrestler, parent, or coach to take. It almost always feels personal to the competitor, when in reality the official probably doesn't even know the competitors, or makes the call instantly without regard for the identity of the competitor, in order to uphold the integrity of the sport. After all, the spotsmanship and integrity of our atheletes, while competing in intense, full contact action, is what makes our great sport stand apart from others.

January 6, 2004
comments: In response to the January 5 message "comments: I liked wrestling better when there were no poles, and if there were no one new about them or even cared about them. They just wrestled." I care about the rights of polish children and wish more of them wrestled. It is anti-polish views like yours that this forum can do without.

January 6, 2004
comments: A big OSHA thank you to the person who said "I liked wrestling better when there were no poles". We at OSHA did not realize until looking at this recent comment that poles were being used in high school wrestling. Beating a high school child with a metal or wooden pole is dangerous and should be stopped. Thank you for your assistance and rest assurred that we at OSHA and the trial lawyers throughout this state will shut down these dangerous practices.

January 5, 2004
comments: I liked wrestling better when there were no poles, and if there were no one new about them or even cared about them. They just wrestled.

January 5, 2004
comments: I would just like to know when the coaches/wvmat individual's poll will be comming out? I feel as though a poll is a good thing for the kids. It lets then know who in there class are good wrestlers

January 5, 2004
comments: look out for matt stewart from indy high at states at 145 if he keeps his head on his shoulders he can place top 4 easy
And Also watch for Robert Rash (103) and Robert Ward (189) from indy to win states

January 5, 2004
comments: Nitro has a very good team this year...... going into the Knights Inn tournament here were some of the TOP cats records....
Easter 14-0, didnt lose any , 1st place
Pete Allen Nitro 13-3, lost 1 match 2nd place
Aaron Dunlap Nitro 12-3, lost 1 match 2nd place
Josh Page Nitro 7-0, but lost 3 matches 6th place
Ben Young Nitro 9-3, also lost 3 matches 6th place
Erik Ollom-Nitro also placed 6th
Keep up the good work Wildcats!!!

I think the Cats will do very well this up comming weekend at home!!
My predictions
Easter 1st Best in the State
Allen top 3
Dunlap top 2
Page will rebound this week and will the class with a fall over Huntington's Nelson in the finals
Young top 4
Ollom top 4
Good Luck to all.

January 5, 2004
comments: Who's this Hinerman kid from Mannington? from the looks of things he could probably do North Marion some good. Also is the Mannington Middle coach the same Hays that wrestled just last year at North Marion, if so he seems like a good kid might be just what that area needs to carry out Roy Michael's legacy.Keep up the good work at Mannington Middle!

January 5, 2004
comments: Radcliff (189 lbs) scored a takedown and pin within one minute. You are probably confusing Radcliff with the heavyweight Dorton who lost 4 penalty points during his match with Wiseman. Match scores are on the new Cauliflower Club website.
189 PS - CURT RADCLIFF, 1st - T2 Pin :53 OG - DAVID FOLTZ,

275 PS - JOSIAH DORTON, 1st - T2 P; 2nd - T2 T2; 3rd - E1 T2 T2 T2; TOTAL - 13 OG - MATT WISEMAN, 1st - TV1; 2nd - TV1 E1 E1; 3rd - TV2 E1; TOTAL - 7

January 5, 2004
comments: Just wanted to comment on the WV Junior State Tournament. Someone said that they thought the tournament will be held the weekend of March 6 and 7. I wish someone would post it ASAP. Looks like Lewis County may be setting up a tournament that weekend, and there are some great wrestlers from Lewis County that should be at the state tournament! Hope to see as many good wrestlers as possible at the West Virginia Junior State Championship in Parkersburg. Let's Communicate!

January 5, 2004
comments: Gotta work this weekend so I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to post the Virginia duals website info on this forum. Thanks and Good luck to South, nice job last year at this tourny, stay healthy.

January 5, 2004
comments: Williamstown would most defiantly place in the top 10 at OVAC's. OVAC is not as tough as u think it is because u have a couple OHIO schools in it.

comments: If you think Calhoun or Williamstown would place in the top 3 then you need to do more research. Beaver Local, Buckeye, Oak Glen, Brooke, Harrison Central, and cameron would all beat calhoun and williamstown. I can't think of any other schools off hand but I know that compared to how they did at states and how other teams did at OVAC's that they wouldn't even be in the top 10. I guess we will see how good williamstown and calhoun are at states then. Good luck to you guys and your quest for a state championship.

comments: I think williamstown could place in the top 5 at OVAC. Biddle, DiMarco, Elder, Smith, Tracewell, and Lauderman could put some points up. Elder Smith and Tracewell could probably make it to the semi's while I could see the others placing. Look what happened last year at states. 7 wrestlers for williamstown went. they were runner up.
Editor's note: Er, um, I don't think this discussion is going anywhere...

January 5, 2004
comments: Does anyone know the score between Northcraft OG and Moore EF?

January 5, 2004
comments: Williamstown and Calhoun would NOT place in the top 5, probably not even the top 10 at OVACs!!! You seriously underestimate the competition level there, it is TOUGH.

January 5, 2004
comments: In the comment concerning Meeks and Winfield, I inadvertantly stated Ritchie County instead of Webster County Hardwood Duels. Sorry for my mistake.

January 5, 2004
comments: What happened last year, and what happens this year are completely different stories, as for predictions, theres no prediction anybody could ever make that wouldnt get criticism.

January 5, 2004
comments: Thanks for the input on ripley. phalen is pretty good, will go far at state. i totally forgot about cooper, he is really good to. i saw that villifana got teched by easter but hes good to. The reason i asked is beacuse i see phalen, villifana, and cooper going down in the semi's or quarters. But we'll see what happens, im not familiar with the rest of their lineup but i'll get a good look at them at the WSAZ.

January 5, 2004

WV Youth Championships are scheduled (I think) for March 6. I've noticed that it hasn't been posted, I think they are March 6th. A lot of tournaments keep poping up in that time frame. It needs to be posted, I really don't know who to call, but a lot of tournaments are going to get blasted when it does get posted. I writing to give some people for warning!!

January 5, 2004
email: sullivj2@ohio.edu
comments: Two things:

First of all, look for Ripley's Seth Phalen (103) and Bobby Cooper (125) to do well at the WSAZ also. As of January 3, Phalen is 25-0, Cooper is 24-0 and Mitch Smith is 24-0.

Secondly, about the team point being deducted from South during the Oak Glen match. I do believe it was supposed to be deducted right after the 140-pound match, but the team score was never changed so I'm not sure what happened. And as you said, no mention was made in the paper. That along with the whole scoring mixup with the 152-pound match led to some confusion. It's just a good thing the 152-pound final score and the final team score weren't within 1 or 2 points.

January 5, 2004
comments: if you think that calhoun and williamstown wouldn't place in the top 3 at the OVAC you need to eat some more bojangles!!!!

January 5, 2004
comments: Ripley, they have point scorers. Of course theres Mitch, then there is Seth Phalen, undefeated 103, Bobby Cooper, undefeated 125, Junior Villafana 112, great wrestler 2 losses to Easter, Derek Ranson, coming on strong, there heavyweight is tough, and they have 160-189, who can place in the top 4. You'll see.

January 5, 2004
comments: If Jacob Lowe does get to 215, which i have not seen any results with him there yet, i would place him at #2 right now, i still feel Potts from Oak Glen is above him there.

January 5, 2004
email: KSTSKIBY@EARTHLINK.NET
comments: ANY OPENINGS FOR A TEAM SOMEWHERE AROUND THE BLUEFIELD AREA THIS WEEK END 1/10/04. WE ARE FROM SW VA

January 5, 2004
comments: Congrats to Jacob Carr & David Bonecutter on their 100th career wins.

January 5, 2004
comments: Yes congrats to lou, and i dont know how many wins these guys have but shouldnt shyver be close? Although he did start his sophmore year and lou his freshman. Rader will pass stevens and lou by the time he is done.

January 5, 2004
comments: I was at the OG/south match and you all keep talking about radcliffe. During his match I believe he locked hands 2 or 3 times. I know he won the match but still, if you dont know when you can and cant lock hands, then your not going to get far at state. It was a pretty close match when he pinned. Because of the penalty points

January 5, 2004
comments: I dont think they deducted a south team point but they deducted a OG point during the smith/northcraft match, but i dotn know why. I think they mighta messed up on the points of the match because northcraft had smith on his back then smith got an escape and i think the score shoulda been tied, but it ended up with smith up 1. it was confusing, but OG's coach kept going over to the ref over and over again complaining. so that may be why.

January 5, 2004
comments: ripley going to the WSAZ will make the tournament more exciting. I know their a good tournament team, but who are their main point scorers beside mitch smith? heres my picks on top 4 teams
South
Huntington
Ripley
Nitro
Williamstown could make some noise also with elder, dimarco, smith, tracewell, and lauderman

January 5, 2004
comments: I would like to thank the Roane County High School and Mr. Bender for a well run tournament and your hospitality. Our kids and fans felt at home during this meet.
Coach Bender and his program is a class act.
Mike Branham
West Jefferson High School (Ohio)

January 5, 2004
comments: the "valley clash" at tyler consolidated should have one of the better line ups this year with 16 teams from tyler,follansbee, moundsville, independence, east fairmont, buckhannon, cameron williamstown, sherrard, cheat lake, mannington, point pleasant, wellsburg, taylor county. look for point and east to battle for the top spot with 3rd up for grabs between mannington, moundsville, williamstown and sherrard. taylor, cheat, buckhannon and tyler all have talent and can also compete.
look for great matches at 90 robe(ef)- mason(man)
duvall(wt)-baily(ef) best match of tour could be 102
peters(wt)-gallagher(taylor co.) with waldron(cl) as the spoiler

January 5, 2004
comments: CONGRATULATIONS TO LOU THOMAS OF PARKERSBURG. In the finals of the Powerade Lou won 5-2 and recorded his 100th career victory. He is only the second wrestler in PHS history to reach the 100 win plateau. Matt Stevens was the first with 112 career wins.

January 5, 2004
comments: What i would like to know is why is did no one say anything about the Team point that was taken away by South against Oak Glen. I was at the match saw the ref take it away, they took it away before the Oak Glen team point. Yet the score was never changed, the paper never mentioned it and even when the score was put on here it no one said anything about it either. I know it doesnt really matter but South was deducted a team point.

January 5, 2004
email: tpowers@access.k12.wv.us
comments: Coaches Take Note:
Coaches there is still time to get your JV wrestlers action at the Morgantown High JV Tournament. There is a link on the mat page and it will be on the bulletin board again soon. We have commitments from the follwing teams to attend: Parkersburg, East Fairmont, Bridgeport, Buckeye Local(OH), Beall(MD), Trinity(PA), Clay-Battelle, North Marion, University and others. We do give out medals and we need your extras to attend to increase the competition level. NO Grade restrictions. We want wrestlers. Contact us and let us know you will be attending. Thanks
Tom Powers

January 5, 2004
comments: Just look what places the Shady boys are placing and they could have a few others slip in there.....its just for fun anyway

January 5, 2004
comments: i am glad to see some officials respond to my comments. in my opinion every official makes a bad judgement call at least once or twice. and i'm not saying i would be any better. i realize it is a hard thing to do. and i understand now why an official wouldn't look at a video tape at a meet. however, should the wvssac look at or review certin tapes. such tapes where individuals are disqualified. that way the wvssac knows the exact reason why the official made the call instead of just taking there word for it. it seems like there is no way to even file a complaint to the wvssac. please respond.

January 5, 2004
comments: your hwt and 215 perdictions are a little off. lowe frome wirt is at 215, not hwt. but besides that your perdictions look prety good. i am curious to see where you rank lowe at 215. please respond.

January 5, 2004
comments: Ripley will be at WSAZ, and I think they have a real good tournment team. Look for 2 or 3 in the finals and at least 7 to place. Maybe as many as 9. Watch out for them.

January 5, 2004
comments: what are some predictions on AAA states...

January 5, 2004
comments: Congrats to the wrestlers and coaches from East Fairmont. Despite all that has taken place this year the team is really starting to gel. This past week was a long one with Wheeling Park Duals (8 matches) and your own East Fairmont/ Pleasant Valley Duals (7 matches). The team finshed the week 13-2 and on the year they are 15-3. Keep scraping. On behalf of the East Fairmont wrestling community I want to say keep it up, things are only going to get better.

January 5, 2004
comments: delegatti wrestled in 2001 as a freshman at 215. 189 will be a great weight class to watch as far as depth goes.

January 4, 2004
comments: What i wanna know is how does Chuck Wollerie have Shady Springs placing 2nd with only 4 kids placing, and Williamstown placing 4th with 8 kids placing and Cameron 3rd with 7 kids placing. 4 kids placing is about what Shady had last year and they were no where close to second.

January 4, 2004
comments: Matt Stevens is no longer attending Ohio University. However former Ripley wrestler Matt Smith is attending Ohio University and wrestling there at 125.

January 4, 2004
comments: Ripley will be attending the WSAZ tournament this year.

January 4, 2004
comments: former 189: I have never even heard of delligatti. Tried to look him up in the 02 and 03 state tourny but found nothing. Radcliffe is turning some heads at 189 and so is lindamood(p-burg). and now tominack is back at 189. this will be a good weight class to watch.

January 4, 2004
comments: Any Idea what teams will be at the TYLER CONS. VALLEY CLASH this weekend? Should be a good Jr. High Duals Tourney?

January 4, 2004
comments: What teams will be at the Jackson County Invitational and what time does it start on Friday?

January 4, 2004
comments: ummm correct me if iam wrong, but ripley does not go to the WSAZ.

January 4, 2004
comments: calhoun county and shady springs will go to nitro and make some noise this weekend!!!champions 119 neal,125 scarbro,130 ashley,135 cummings,152 metz

January 4, 2004
comments: Why do you list Frankfort as others to watch? What do you see as their strength?

January 4, 2004
comments: Does anyone know if Cody Potts is planning on going to 189 cause if he does then I think that 189 will be one of toughest weight classes in the state.

January 4, 2004
comments: Brookie: South dominated Oak Glen again 45-14,winning 10 of 14 matches.Oak Glen may be pushed hard at the state tourney this year.Your Brooke team looks real good this year.Your son qualified for the state tourney last year,is he wrestling? Rhett Northcraft looked real good for Oak Glen as a 10th grader.May see him Saturday evening in Feb.

January 4, 2004
comments: First, let's get one thing straight. Being an official for a wrestling match is not easy work. Second, Video tape review of performance is not a joke, it is essential!! Do not do it matside. That would be a joke. Do it a few days later, learn from it. I think you'll be pleased. I don't know what the percentage of state placers come from south of Parkersburg and Fairmont, it may even be a minority, I don't know. but I do know there is plenty of good wrestling worth watching and officiating. Just ask Nitro, Huntington.... should I name a few more. These kids are our future business people, soldiers,professionals, leaders, and teachers. Just because they are not wrestling studs does not mean they are not worth watching. Any time invested in teaching kids that work as hard at wrestling as they do is not wasted.

January 4, 2004
comments: I've wrestled Radcliff and ive seen Delligatti wrestle and I would bet the bank on Radcliff.

January 4, 2004
comments: Oak Glen is a AA/A school and they are always right there in the top 2 or 3 teams overall.

January 4, 2004
comments: Nice Job to East Fairmont on your win and a well ran tournament. Also Congratulations to Lance Hines from Braxton on getting Most Valuable Wrestler,it was well deserved.

January 4, 2004
comments: What teams are coming too the Winners Choice tournament this year?

January 4, 2004
comments: Im not sure if y'all get 2lbs permanently. Anyone else know?

January 4, 2004
comments: South wrestling fan, that wont be the only good match, norman and shane smith would be good, tracewell and walters, nelson(HHS) vs osuna cotto. and many more good ones im sure. Also this wednsday the 7th PHS hosts John Marshall. Im looking forward to seeing litton and richey go at it. I think litton will win though.

January 4, 2004
comments: what time does the nitro meet begin on friday.

January 4, 2004
comments: Tominack's back at 189. Cody wrestled at 189 yesterday at Indiana tourney as Park easily won with nine wrestlers in the finals.

January 4, 2004
comments: The St. Albans wrestling team had a good weekend at East Fairmont. They had a 4-3 record and gave scares to 2nd place Braxton Co. 41-36 and 3rd place Greenbrier West 39-36. Congrats to wrestlers; Brent Snodgrass 6-1, Adam King 5-2, Patrick Allen 4-3, Jeremy Wileman 6-1, Keith Allison 6-1, Kevin Allison 6-1, Johnny Woodford 6-1, Matt Ryder 4-2, Anthony Eads 4-2, and Heath Graley 4-0 who didn't finish because of illness. It looks like Coach Roberts and his assistants are prepairing the young Red Dragons to be a very good team later this year and for several years to come.

January 4, 2004
comments: How can Northcraft handle Erwin and then lose to Smith? Also did Miller stick Townsend?

January 4, 2004
comments: Who cares about Lindamond/Radcliff match Matt Delligatti will bea them both

January 4, 2004
comments: Good job everyone at the Willie Walter Duals at James Wood High in Va. Everyone did a good job. Good job to 189 Payne for the last second pin vs. Strausburg to seal the team win. Great job by all Gustines, Carroll, Chapman, and Smith. The team is now 6-3 overall in dual meets, a big improvement over last year.

January 4, 2004
comments: Well the LKC is AA/A conference. If you havent noticed so i doubt they would place in the top 3 at the OVAC since it has many AAA sized schools, but then again some years yes they would place in the top 3.

January 4, 2004
comments: The 1st place team from the LKC wouldn't place in the top 3 at OVAC's.

January 4, 2004
comments: Meeks is back for Winfield as a heavy weight and is doing very well. The program at Winfield is picking up and they have a good strong team this year. They may just surprise all of the doubters. Winfield placed 2nd at the Ritchie County Hardwood Duels and were only there on Saturday. I believe there are at least 7-8 potential state qualifiers.

January 4, 2004
comments: A good match-up will take place at the WSAZ tournament when Shaun Smith and Mitch Smith meet at 140.

January 4, 2004
comments: south fan: hey both schools are friendly to each other in person. But its all business once your in the sports world. If you went to University of michigan......would you root for ohio state? If you went to WVU would you root for pitt? didnt think so

January 4, 2004
comments: Iron: You obviosly don't have a clue as to what is going on in the South lineup,so why guess? The changes were due to wrestlers moving up in weight classes and wrestle offs.Stay in the other wrestling room and Coach McCartney will handle the southside!

January 4, 2004
comments: West Side Fan .......Mitch smith is 140

January 4, 2004
comments: Congratulations to Brooke Matt Smith for his 100th Win Saturday. Also Congrats to the Brooke Wrestling team for 1st place in the Steubenville Kiwanias Tournament. Also congrats to Jonathan McFarland for the MVP award and being a 4 time Kiwanias Champion

January 4, 2004
comments: anybody have the scores from the east fairmont tournment.

January 4, 2004
comments: AA/A Team Rankings
(Not the official Coaches Poll)
1. Oak Glen
2. Shady Spring
3. Cameron
4. Williamstown
5. Greenbrier West
6. Calhoun Co.
7. St. Mary's
8. Braxton Co.
9. Point Pleasant
10. Berkley Springs

Others to Watch
* Wirt Co.
* Roane Co.
* Ritchie Co.
* Frankfort
* Ravenswood

January 4, 2004
comments: when do we start getting a permanent 2lb growth allowance? Aren't we supposed to get a weight allowance after the holidays or weight certification or something like that??? Will we be getting a 2lb allowance at Braxton county big 16 tournament? or any of the others conducted after Jan 5th??? Someone pls reply.
Thank You very much
Wrestlerwithaquestion

January 4, 2004
comments: I think you all need to leave these boys alone and let them wrestle. They don't need or want you to talk about them it's just stupid. Stop making these boys worry about what people are saying. Who cares what you think? You all messed up my brother and has his nerves all messed up before states and he still won. It doesn't matter who you think will win or not so let the boys have fun and do there best.

January 4, 2004
comments: IWASTHERE... I was told that he had two forfeits... 3-1 is not too decisive... I always hope Joey does well... He is a tough kid and will do very well... His inconsistencies last year probably had a lot to do with him being a freshman... I expect nothing but the best from him...

January 4, 2004
comments: to fan its called sportsman ship

January 4, 2004
comments: Whats so sad about PHS sitting on one side and w-town sitting on another? PHS and South are bitter rivals, why would we want them to win? Also, joey lindamood, though I havent seen him wrestle yet this year, last year he was inconsistent with wins but from the results ive seen from the tournys he was at i can tell hes getting better.

January 4, 2004
comments: DOES WINFIELD HAVE A HWY THIS YEAR, IS MEEKS BACK?????????????????

January 4, 2004
comments: No Confernce can beat the LKC it Rocks!!

January 4, 2004
comments: AA/A Rankings - HAVE FUN!
1. R. Rash - Indy
2. R. Flowers - Will
3. C. Richards - Rit
4. E. Burrows - Cal
5. H. Haws - Brid
6. S. Boggs - Roa

1. B. Miller - OG
2. T. Cumpston - Cam
3. B. Gungle - Cal
4. C. Johnson - Will
5. A. Valles - Mad
6. J. Stuart - Brid

1. J. Neal - SS
2. J. Billings - Rav
3. N. O'Neil - Cam
4. C. Pumphrey - PP
5. J. Moffatt - Win
6. R. Griffin - Roa

1. D. Scarbro - SS
2. J. Biddle - Will
3. B. Digmon - Brax
4. P. Ellis - Wah
5. C. Painter - GW
6. S. Wright - OG

1. J. Ashley - Cal
2. A. Harvey - SS
3. J. Mahan - OG
4. D. Haws - Brid
5. D. Allen - Wirt
6. A. Leithead - Siss

1. D. Bartrug - SM
2. J. Chapman - SS
3. B. Chambers - OG
4. A. Cummings - Cal
5. J. McCarty - LC
6. T. Nazzarro - Roa
1. C. Moore - BS
2. M. Dye - WC
3. J. Cumpston - Cam
4. A. DiMarco - Will
5. J. Flynt - Brax
6. J. Price - Cal

1. R. Elder - Will
2. L. Hines - Brax
3. B. Dye - WC
4. D. Bonecutter - PP
5. E. Stevens - OG
6. J. Whipkey - Cam

1. E. Metz - Cal
2. C. Hughes - Cam
3. D. Bosley - Frank
4. S. Dennis - Rav
5. R. Northcraft - OG
6. K. Efaw - Graf

1. S. Smith - Will
2. I. Stewart - Cam
3. G. Railing - OG
4. M. Mason - BS
5. P. Goodrich - Cal
6. D. Hashman - SM

1. J. Carr - PP
2. A. Tracewell - Will
3. C. Burgess - Roa
4. R. Waugh - BS
5. J. Dennis - Rav
6. J. Adkins - Clay

1. L. Lauderman - Will
2. R. Ward - Indy
3. J. McCoy - HH
4. M. Smith - GW
5. J. Blair - Grafton
6. J. Moore - SH

1. C. Potts - OG
2. J. Harris - Web
3. S. Craddock - Roa
4. T. Boone - Rit
5. B. Barnhart - SM
6. D. Tench - PP

1. A. Freda - LC
2. A. Fegal - Weir
3. C. Manning - Cam
4. J. Lowe - WC
5. M. Crookshanks - GW
6. J. Wiseman - OG

January 4, 2004
comments: LMOB - for your information Joey Lindamood didn't recieve two forfeits in a row at the Ironman. Joey wrestled hard and physical, and destroyed two excellant wrestlers to the point that they were forced to quit. Literally knocking one out and crushing the other. Lindamood is quickly becoming a force to be dealt with. Wait and see, your in for a little surprise!!

January 4, 2004
comments: To Coach Darst and the Point Pleasant wrestling "family" once again you have outdone yourselves. Thanks for the great tournament you put on this weekend you provided over 400 wrestlers from 26 middle schools with a unique opportunity to come together and test their skills. There was some excellent wrestling to watch and a lot to learn by watching other teams and wrestlers. The tournament was smooth using the medina board and bout numbers. I wish we could use this system at WSAZ! The hospitality was great and the food was excellentas well. Congratulations to the Point Pleasant team as well for reclaiming the championship. Hang your banner with pride. It has been a privelege for Milton Middle to temporarily hold this championship and we hope to be back in the thick of things in a year or two. To the Elkview team - tremendous improvement since we saw you at McKinley - congratulations on your 2nd place finish. Here's hoping that everyone has good matches and stays injury free and keeps those grades up. We'll see you again at WSAZ in a few weeks.

January 4, 2004
comments: The South - Oak Glen match was a little down this year, or is the South that good? What's sad is that Williamstown was sitting on one side of the gym and the Big Reds wre sitting on the other. It would have been easy to bump the start time up to 11:00 and throw down another mat. That's two weeks in a row that girls basketball has affected wrestling. Last week the Clash of Champions had to find a new site after five years at South and this week the South -Williamstown match was canceled.

January 4, 2004
comments: hey guys leave AAA guru alone, hes just havin a lil fun with the predictions. Were all guilty of that. some of the schools line ups havent been set for good yet but thats alright. So everyone that has not made predictions ever, you can talk , but all of those who are guilty, then dont criticize. thank you.

January 4, 2004
comments: lmob- overall i think that lindamood will beat radcliffe, radcliife surprised the heck out of me when he placed at the ironman, and joey has been winning alot of matches so far to. 189 has some talent and your right, it'll be a toss up. and to south fan77, I think the south phs match will come right down to the wire, wasnt to impressed with some of the south wrestlers with oak glen though. some of the guys that should have gotten pins, did not pin. its all gonna come down to the pins i think in the south/phs match . i still see phs squeezing out a win though.

January 4, 2004
comments: Does anyone know the date of the West Virginia Junior State Tournament held in Parkersburg? There is nothing listed yet in the Youth Schedule, and many people are wondering when it will take place. Thank You!

January 4, 2004
comments: Ok here we go again, ovac this and that. Its NOT the toughest tournament in the state because all the teams in the ovac are not from WV!!!! I dont care how its compared to any other tournys. If you want to see some of the best wrestlers in the state, go to the msac or the region 1 tournament. Come february, noone cares about what ohio and pa are doing. msac has phs hhs nitro ripley......right there thats mitch, easter, rader, shyver, thomas, dearman. then region 1 has south and phs brooke and turnbull. need i say more? Look,the ovac is a great conference or whatever, but they have an advantage having the oh and pa teams to.

January 4, 2004
comments: To: AAA Guru
You fail to check your rankings that some of the guys listed at weights haven't wrestled that weight this season. Its a good idea to try to make predictions based on last year's results from states and regions but that was last year. Many things will happen with those teams and wrestlers. The team may get tougher or a wrestler get better and move up in rankings. So you need to consider current results as a factor in your predictions too. Good day sir.

January 4, 2004
comments: All you people and your conferences. No one really cares what the toughest tournament is, or who the best team is. As a West Virginia High school Wrestler, it deeply sickens me to hear the crap put up on this forum about who can beat who, or which conference is the toughest in the state. The only thing that matters is the self gratification and confidence that is derived from this great sport.

January 4, 2004
comments: I know the OVAC is the toughest CONFERENCE tournament in the state. I meant regular season tournaments.If you were going overall the MSAC is a pretty good one too.

January 4, 2004
comments: I SAW THE SOUTH OAK GLENN MATCH TODAY SOUTH LOOKED GOOD ( A FEW YOUNG MEN OUT OF SHAPE ) BUT OTHER THAN THAT SOUTH LOOKED GOOD IF I WAS THE BIGREDS I WOULD BE CAREFULL I THINK SOUTH WILL WILL THE DUAL MATCH THIS YEAR!!!!!

January 4, 2004
comments: To:Fan
If the 145 and 189 are way off then straighten me out on who should be there. If there are some wrestlers out there who belong in the poll I and everyone else would like to know who they are.

January 4, 2004
comments: By looking at the PHS lineup, they have a few weak spots and i think they can be defeated in a dual match. When they go to wreslte great bridge, st eds. ect. I dunno how close it will be with them. They do however wrestle duals with south and brooke, those 2 duals should test the big reds. They are a great tournament team, but to many weak spots could hurt them in dual matches. anyone agree?

January 4, 2004
comments: i would just like to say that the match between northcraft and smith was one awesome match to watch. back and forth back and forth. northcraft will be tough to beat come feb.

January 4, 2004
comments: i think that whoever is predicting the 152lb AA/A individual is forgeting about dustin miller from wirt county. i see that you have sam dennis in there and miller pinned him already this year.

January 4, 2004
Nice picks, but in my opinion you left out the toughest tournament in West Virginia. It usually takes place around the third week in January @ the Wheeling Civic Center. It's called the...OVAC'S. It is without a doubt the smoothest ran tournament, exciting to watch and the competition is awesome!

January 4, 2004
comments: What happened to Matt Stevens, I did not see his name on the Ohio U. roster for this year?

January 4, 2004
comments: I attended the south /oak glen dual today and it was the most boring dual i have ever been to. Some of the wrestlers looked out of shape. shaun smith impressed me, and norman and walters lookd real good to. By far the most exciting match was the sean smith and rhett northcraft, kept everyone on the edge of their seats. smith got a reversal i think with like 10 seconds left in the match to win. that was the only exciting match though. guys that should have pinned didnt.

January 4, 2004
comments: I am not sure about some of your predictions, AAA wrestling guru,I guess that is why they are predictions. Your 145 pound class is way off, as well as 189. For the statement about South wrestling beginning in 1975, that is also erroneous. South's first wrestling team was in 1968.

January 4, 2004
With injury's, illness, and other unforseen incedents B.U. has held its own.By giving up 4 and 5 weight classes from the begining of the year, they have went, 8 and 9, in team matches. Hopefully by Winners Choice,they will have full team. So good luck Buccanneers,and keep digging.

January 4, 2004
comments: doesn't anyone read the local paper???The Journal 12/31 Sports section Wheelimg Super Duals Hedgesville went 5-3 overall 12-5 in duals this season.TROY FOLTZ 8-0 AMMONS 7-1 NICHOLSON&SHETLER 6-2 Roberts 4-4 Zimmerman 2-6 Miller 2-6 Grim 4-4 Richardson 2-6 Everhart 3-5 D.Foltz 5-3 Sella 4-4 Young 5-3 Barrett 2-6 Overall the team did great.I look for Hedg. to have a Great year! GOOD LUCK EAGLES!!! Mart. went2-6 Chris and Robert Conner went 8-0 along with Jarvis Dane Henry 7-1 Barbour 5-3 Quinn 5-2

January 4, 2004
comments: Lindamood beat Radcliff after 3-1 after Radcliff had wrestled two tough matches and Lindamood had received two forfeits in a row if i am not mistaken... it is a tossup at 189....

January 4, 2004
comments: Watch out for Mick from Fairmont Senior at 145 this year, he will give mitch smith a match

January 4, 2004
comments: anybody know any of the first day results from the East Fairmont Invitational.

January 4, 2004
comments: I noticed someone saying that Ripley beat University in a dual match. Ripley won that 37-35, but if you notice Turnbull wasnt in the lineup and Ripleys 119lber pinned Univesrity back up. So that was pretty much the difference in that dual.

January 4, 2004
comments: ok sorry about the south 1975 thing but i was looking at the little cauliflower club or whatever its called webpage and the first year that was on it was 1975, so my fault.

January 4, 2004
comments: Hey in the university results I only saw turnbulls name for when they wrestled brooke. then bloss for the others? is he hurt? whats goin on there?

January 4, 2004
comments: THANKS FOR WHOEVER POSTED THE INDIVIDUAL SCORES FOR THE DUALS.

January 4, 2004
comments: AAA guru, Dowler I have no idea whats going on there, havent visited any practices yet nor have i talked to scheny yet. As for Souths lineup change, it may have been just for that match, I really have no clue there either, i guess the wrestlers are still deciding what weight to stay in permanantly. You are right about gustines not being afraid, I wasnt thinking there, he gave mitch a heck of a match last year.I think he'll win state at 135, his main competition being porter from south which i think gustines could handle with ease. I guess it will all unfold sometime. Oh yeah I saw that mitch decisioned miller from university...who is that?

January 4, 2004
comments: i heard a WVU wrestler has a brother on University wrestling team...is he good?..whats his name?...is there any truth to this????

January 4, 2004
comments: First, video tapes review by officials would be a joke. It is hard enough to get people who want to officiate and take the bs they have to now. If you think it is that easy join your local board and go for it.

Secondly, rating the toughtest tourneys in WV. How can the Brooke Classic which is rated in top twenty in country year after year not be ahead of winners choice and oThers, I have officiated them all and my picks would be.
1. O.V.A.C. not even a close 2nd.
2. Brooke Classic -- any time you have 6 PA teams you better be ready to wrestle.
3. Winners Choice- Gets better ever year.

Cant rate anything else because once you get below Parkersburg on I77 and Fairmont on I79 isnt much wreslting worth rating. Remember, the state is looking for good officials. Think it is that easy join us.

January 4, 2004
comments: Since Williamstown hasnt wrestled that many matches this year I dont see that hurting them at all. They have great athletes and coaches and a strong tradition. You know its not like those guys in Williamstown are new to this wrestling thing.

January 2, 2004
comments: tick, from what i understand richards and rowsey have been battleing it out for the spot all year, but richards one the starting spot but at the tournmeny rowsey was on a tema of 2nd string from all the teams to make up another team at the tournment at point pleasent where he beat richards head to head. who knows what will happen they are both very good wrestlers it should be a good battle all year with no clear cut favorite.

January 2, 2004
comments: The reason South and Williamstown are not wrestling each other is because South's AD scheduled a basketball game for the same day and there will not be enough time after the South - Oak Glen match for Williamstown - South to wrestle. You're right though, I hope the few matches Williamstown has had so far will not bite them later.

January 2, 2004
comments: OG / South match starts at 1

January 2, 2004
comments: Iron, Parkersburg's mat room is a tough place to survive and you may know more about Dowler's status than I do. If so I stand corrected. I also felt that South's lineup change was possibly only for the Paris Graham dual. If you know that it is permanent, let us know. Sorry for the Radcliff-Lindamond oversight, move em' how you like em'. I have heard no rumors about Mitch going to 135. I'd say 140 is a pretty good place to be for Mitch, there is no one at that weight class to give him a run. Gustines is pretty much a natural 135 so he probably will stay put in either situation (Gustines isn't a runner and isn't afraid of anyone). Back to the South lineup issue, Lmob asked why I didn't rank Monday at 152. As far as I know Monday hasn't wrestled 152 for South. If he has he deserves to be ranked, and if he has South's lineup will stay as I listed it.

January 2, 2004
comments: Video tapes should be reviewed by the SSAC and the official for teaching reasons. Wrestlers learn from tapes, so should officials. The editor is correct, it would be a complete mess to review tapes at a match and it would take a changing of the rules. Fat chance and not a good idea.

January 2, 2004
comments: Justin Ashley's one lose is to Daniel Allen of Wirt County. He pinned him at the Ritchie County duels his Sophmore year.

January 2, 2004
comments: If parkersburg south started there program in 1975, then why did they have 2 state champs in 1972??????????? They won there first team title in 1975, but they have a team since 1967.

January 2, 2004
comments: Justin Ashleys recored is 110-1 or what ever is because Calhoun does not go to any AAA tourments except for Nitro and they do not have the funds to wrestle out of state. He is an outstanding wrestler, but if he were in AAA or in Ohio he would probley have more like 15 loses on his record. Yet he can't control who the coaches schedual.

January 2, 2004
comments: Anyone know what time the Oak Glen/PS match is?

January 2, 2004
comments: May I ask why you didn't include South's Munday in the 152 lb. weight class...

January 2, 2004
comments: OPINION POLL:
What are the toughest tournaments in West Virginia in order ? Please post your picks. My choices,
1. Winner's Choice, Fairmont
2. WSAZ, Huntington
3. Brooke Classic
4. Nitro Tournament
5. Max Horz Inv. Berkley Springs
6.Braxton Pizza Hut Inv.

January 2, 2004
comments: Slide in Ramsey at 275 and thanks for the info. Also looks like Brooke's guys are at different weight classes than first thought. They will still figure into the top 8 at the weight class they wrestled at Domino Duals (all are quality wrestlers).

January 2, 2004
comments: Interesting fact: since 1975, when south started its wrestling program they have won 13 titles. PHS since 1975 has won 7 titles. Overall PHS has won 18, but they got started in 1948 i believe. so clearly south has had the more dominant wrestling team. But PHS and South are switching with PHS becoming a dominant wrestling team and South a dominant football team. But its good to see both pburg teams do so well in sports.

January 2, 2004
comments: wrestlers get the 2 pound allowance on january 1st

January 2, 2004
comments: It looks like williamstown isnt gettin much wrestling in right now, could this hurt them down the stretch? They didnt go to the midwest classic, and now they arent wrestling south. What is goin on here, I know there are reasons for the opening tourny. But not wrestling because of a basketball game is ridiculous.

January 2, 2004
comments: Wrestlefan60: What happened to tj richards for HWT, did rowsey beat him in wrestle offs or is richards just not doing it this year? And with maryland observers post. I think it would be great to see the other teams in the state step it up and go to those tournaments, although it may be to costly for some schools, it would be a great experience. Some guys i would like to see go to those are easter, turnbull, mitch smith. No doubt in my mind they would do great, they proved it at fargo. Also one last thing, I see that justin ashleys record is like 150-1....who did he lose to? if he was at 125 or 130 in AAA he would have many losses. I say shyver and kelly 125 would beat him, and 130 rader would tech him.

January 2, 2004
comments: AAA guru, your picks are alright but your weights are off in some classes. porter is 135, shaun smith 140, sean smith 152, osuna cotto 145. 152 dowler from p-burg did not wrestle at the powerade, my guess is he got beat in a wrestle off. 189 why do you have lindamood at 5th when he placed at the ironman and powerade? and radcliffe in front of him when he beat radcliffe earlier this year? And if mitch smith goes down to 135 like rumored on here, then you'll prolly see gustines go back up to 140.

January 2, 2004
comments: What were team scores of Hedgesville, Wheeling Park, Buckhannon, and Fairmont Senior on Day 2 at Wheeling Park??

January 2, 2004
comments: ... it appears to me that any call an offical makes can not be contested. the refs refuse to look at a video tape as well as the wvssac. what can be done about this?

Editor's note: You would have to change the rules of wrestling. Get a copy of the National Federation rule book. This national organization makes the rules of all high school sports, including wrestling. The last time I checked, using a video tape to review calls at a wrestling match is expressly forbidden. Think about it. If referee calls in all high school sports were subject to review by video tape, then every single ball/strike in a baseball game would be under review. Every single foul in basketball would be reviewed. In wrestling, as in just about every other sport, the application of a rule can be questioned, but judgement calls cannot be questioned.

January 2, 2004
comments: does anybody know the date that wrestlers get the 2 pound allowence? thank you

January 2, 2004
comments: In response to scheduling, I will reiterate the point that if the teams that want to consistently compete for the state championship in the AAA division in West Virginia, they need to compete with tougher opponents. Just to clarify my point; the teams from East Fairmont, Hedgesville, Huntington, University, etc., are teams that I see shooting for the top, but they have not made the commitment to really go after the best competition. The Wendy's Classic, Brooke Invitational and Amityville tournament are good tournaments, but they are not the Iron Man, Beast of the East and Reno tournaments. I would challenge any of the teams that I mentioned above to go to the Iron Man or even the Powerade tournaments. They need to take the next step. It would only make wreslting in West Virginia better. It seems that South and PHS are getting better and better each year. They are competing well with the best teams in the country. I have been a head wrestling coach in Maryland. The teams that I had would have never been able to compete at any of the above mentioned tournaments, so I understand the plight of the struggling wrestling programs in West Virgina. Also, only the Maryland private schools are allowed to go to tournaments like the Beast or the Iron Man. The public schools have too many restrictions. It is a shame that the public schools in Maryland can't really compete at these tournaments. If you have the opportunity to compete in these tournaments, take advantage of it. This is a great forum. West Virginia wrestling fans are in tune with what is going on in their sport.

January 2, 2004
comments: how can you get rosters for teams in AAA

comments: can anybody tell me any team rosters for AAA region 3

January 2, 2004
comments: aaa guru you might want to keep an eye on riversides heavy weight rowsey. he beat richards at the point pleasant duals and has been rolling over the competion. i believe going into the weekend tournamentt he has only lost one match to a boy from ohio and is undefeated against state wrestlers. hes only in 10th grade. jsut thought i would throw that out there.

January 2, 2004
comments: Want to tell the North Marion Wrestling team they did a good job at Wheeling Duals. They are a young team and will see great things from them. Keep working hard and believing in yourselves.

January 2, 2004
comments: Hey, jus to let you know, Ripley beat University also at the Wheeling Duals. They look incredibly strong 103-140. After that they have some week spots, but they can beat or at least keep it close with anybody. Go VIKINGS!

January 2, 2004
comments: David Bonecutter is from Point Pleasant not Calhoun

January 1, 2004
comments: Here is my early season AAA individual poll. It's based on last season's Regional and State performance, along with results thus far this season. You will also notice no Geographical favoritism in this poll.
103                          112                  119      
Shaw-Brooke                  Easter-Nitro         Turnbull-Unv.
Fraley-Hunt.                 Rush-W.Park          Hayes-Parkbg.
Green-W.Park                 Shetler-Hedg.        Riner-Hunt.
Phalen-Ripley                Mazzella-Brooke      Humphrey-W.P.
Haislip-Musselman            Barretto-Hunt.       McCray-P.S.
Wilson-Cab.Mid               Chapman-Jeff.        Wilson-Cab.Mid
Gustines-Jeff.               Armstrong-RCB        Greynolds-E.F.
Knapton-E.F.                 Villafana-Ripley     Meade-Beckley

125                          130                  135
Shyver-Parkb.                Rader-Parkb.         Gustines-Jeff.
Kelly-P.S.                   Porter-P.S.          Smith-P.S.
Smith-Brooke                 Lodge-N.Marion       Marshall-Unv.
Cooper-Ripley                McFarland-Brooke     C.Conner-Mart.
Garvin-Morgtwn.              Grim-Hedge.          Ward-B.U.
Allen-Nitro                  Brewster-Unv.        Koontz-J.M.
Shumate-N.Marion             Hetzer-Hunt.         Durbin-Brooke
Dixon-Hunt.                  Smith-Jeff.          Ice-Parkb.

140                          145                  152
Smith-Ripley                 Richey-J.M.          Adkins-J.M.
Osuna-Cotto-P.S.             Campbell-Unv.        Gustines-Jeff.
Shaw-Brooke                  Litton-Parkb.        Moore-E.F.
Gerasimovich-Morg.           Smith-P.S.           Dowler-Parkb.
Dunlap-Nitro                 Nelson-Hunt.         Thomas-Beckley
Mayer-RCB                    R.Conner-Mart.       Foltz-Hedge.
Lee-J.M.                     Wilson-Beckley       Madia-RCB
Bailey-Parkb.                Demastes-B.U.        Lowry-Riv.

160                          171                  189
Norman-P.S.                  Walters-P.S.         Young-Hedge.
Runyan-Hunt.                 Cremeans-Cab.Mid.    Nelson-Hunt.
Davis-Brooke                 Ray-E.F.             Delligati-F.S.
Sella-Hedge.                 Ammons-Hedge.        Radcliffe-P.S.
Rexroad-B.U.                 Moore-J.M.           Lindamond-Prkb
Hoyland-N.Marion             Longhran-Brooke      Noechel-E.F.
Davis-F.S.                   Villers-Ripley       Rader-Nich.
Simmons-J.M.                 Combs-Parkb.         Llado-Beckley

215                          275
Thomas-Parkb.                Dearman-Parkb.
Tominak-W.P.                 Valentine-E.F.
Hutchinson-Hunt.             Dorton-P.S.
Nicholson-Hedge.             Miller-B.U.
Wojo-Riv.                    Bosley-F.S.
Graley-St.Albans             Cook-Hunt.
Pruitt-Mussleman             Richardson-Cab.Mid.
Anderson-Unv.                Richards-Riv.

Team's ranked individuals
Parkersburg-11
Parkersburg South-10
Huntington-9
Brooke-8
Hedgesville-7
John Marshall-6
East Fairmont-6
Jefferson-5
Ripley-5
University-5
Buckhannon Upshur-4
Cabell Midland-4
Wheeling Park-4
Beckley-4
Fairmont Senior-3
Nitro-3
North Marion-3
R.C.Byrd-3
Riverside-3
Martinsburg-2
Morgantown-2
Musselman-2
Nicholas Co.-1
St. Albans-1

January 1, 2004
comments: About brooke, I just caught the scores page and the post that they went 8-0 at some dual tourny. so knowing that now that they beat some quality teams like university.I can think that they are serious contenders at state. so i apologize for the lack of knowledge about brooke to all you bruin fans out there. the MSAC will be a great one this year i think also with HHS,ripley, PHS.....should get interesting

January 1, 2004
comments: hey I saw in the scores page that brooke defeated university.......can someone post the individual results of the matches? thanks.

January 1, 2004
email: Mraapredictor@hotmail.com
comments:
103 - Ryan Flowers - Williamstown
      Eddie Burrows - Calhoun
      Scotty Boggs - Roane
      Chuck Richards - Ritchie
      H. Haws - Bridgeport
112 - Robert Rash - Indy
      Brandon Miller - Oak Glen
      Bryan Gungle - Calhoun
      Stuart - Bridgeport
      Craig Johnson - Williamstown
      Cumpston - Cameron
119 - Josh Neal - Shady Springs
      Judd Billings - Ravenswood
      Perry Ellis - Wahama
      Noah O'Neil - Cameron
      Rich Griffin - Roane Co
      Shaun Snoberger - Frankfort
125 - Shane Wright - Oak Glen
      Jesse Biddle - Williamstown
      Derek Scarbro - Shady Springs
      Brandon Digman - Braxton
      Colby Painter - Greenbrier West
130 - Justin Ashley - Calhoun
      Anthony Harvey - Shady Springs
      Jess Mahan - Oak Glen
      Andy Liethead - Sissonville
      David Haws - Bridgeport
      Cullen - Point Pleasant
135 - Dustin Bartrug - St. Marys
      Andrew Cummings - Calhoun
      Brennan Chambers - Oak Glen
      Justin Chapman - Shady Springs
140 - Chris Moore - Berkeley Springs
      Jeff Cumpston - Cameron
      Matt Dye - Wirt
      Anthony DiMarco - Williamstown
      Jordan Flynt - Braxton
      Jeremy McCarty - Lewis Co.
      Justin Price - Calhoun
145 - Ryan Elder - Williamstown
      Lance Hines - Braxton
      Brandon Dye - Wirt
      David Bonecutter - Calhoun
      Josh Whipkey - Cameron
152 - Eric Metz - Calhoun
      Devon Bosley - Frankfort
      Casey Hughes - Cameron
      Rhett Northcraft - Oak Glen
      Sam Dennis - Ravenswood
      Kevin Efaw - Grafton
160 - Shane Smith - Williamstown
      Isaac Stewart - Cameron
      Garret Railing - Oak Glen
      Matt Mason - Berkeley Springs
      Paul Goodrich - Calhoun
      Dylan Hashman - St. Marys
171 - Alan Tracewell - Williamstown
      Jacob Carr - Point Pleasant
      Corey Burgess - Roane Co.
      Josh Dennis - Ravenswood
      Randy Waugh - Berkeley Springs
189 - Robert Ward - Indy
      Lee Lauderman - Williamstown
      Mark Smith - Greenbrier West
      Jacob McCoy - Herbert Hoover
215 - Cody Potts - Oak Glen
      Josh Craddock - Roane Co.
      Josh Harris - Webster Co.
      Travis Boone - Ritchie
275 - A. J. Freda - Lewis Co.
      Andy Fegal - Weir
      Wiseman - Oak Glen
      Manner Crookshanks - Greenbrier West
      C. J. Manning - Cameron
      Anderson - Herbert Hoover
      Campbell - Wyoming East

Here are some names to watch, not in any particular order. If I am missing some email me and let me know.

January 1, 2004
comments: Jacob Lowe of Wirt is at 215

January 1, 2004
comments: Congratulations to Justin Ashley on his 100th win (105-1) and a current 101 match winning streak.

January 1, 2004
comments: how does region 2 AA/A look for weight classes 130, 135, and 140. some one pls reply. i havent been able to gather much from the results page.

January 1, 2004
comments: Could someone please post the individual top 4 (top 8 would be great) and record in each weight class from the Domino Duals?

January 1, 2004
comments: I am shocked by the finishings of the 160 Runyon and 15 worland both placing "5th" at the wendys classic..5th is not bad considering that this is a tough tournament but i belive that they both most likley had a bad consalation dya since they both wrestled through to the semi finals!

January 1, 2004
comments: 103- Hasslip - muss.
112- Shetler - hedgs.
119- Shoemate - nm
125- ???
130- Henry- mart.
135- Gustines- jeff.
140- Barbour- mart.
145- Conner- mart.
152- Jarvis- mart.
160- ???
171- Ammonds - hedgs.
189- Young- hedgs.
215/275-Nicholson- hedgs.

January 1, 2004
comments: AA/A just throwing out some names

112 - Robert Rash - Indy
      Brandon Miller - Oak Glen
      Bryan Gungle - Calhoun
119 - Josh Neal - Shady Springs
      Judd Billings - Ravenswood
      Perry Ellis - Wahama
      Tim Cumpston - Cameron
125 - Jesse Biddle - Williamstown
      Derek Scarbro - Shady Springs
      Brandon Digman - Braxton
      Colby Painter - Greenbrier West
130 - Justin Ashley - Calhoun
      Anthony Harvey - Shady Springs
      Jess Mahan - Oak Glen
      Andy Liethead - Sissonville
135 - Dustin Bartrug - St. Marys
140 - Chris Moore - Berkeley Springs
      Matt Dye - Wirt
      Anthony DiMarco - Williamstown
      Jordan Flynt - Braxton
      Jeremy McCarty - Lewis Co.
145 - Ryan Elder - Williamstown
      Lance Hines - Braxton
      Brandon Dye - Wirt
152 - Devon Bosley - Frankfort
      Casey Hughes - Cameron
      Sam Dennis - Ravenswood
      Kevin Efaw - Grafton
160 - Shane Smith - Williamstown
      Isaac Stewart - Cameron
      Garret Railing - Oak Glen
171 - Alan Tracewell - Williamstown
      Eric Metz - Calhoun
      Matt Mason - Berkeley Springs
189 - Robert Ward - Indy
      Lee Lauderman - Williamstown
      Mark Smith - Greenbrier West
215 - Josh Harris - Webster Co.
      Travis Boone - Ritchie
275 - A. J. Freda - Lewis Co.
      Andy Fegal - Weir
      Jacob Lowe - Wirt
      Manner Crookshanks - Greenbrier West
      C. J. Manning - Cameron
just throwing out some names - some may not be in right class

January 1, 2004
comments: Micheal Cremeans from Cabell Midland has been wrestling in all meets. He has been undefeated this year with some hard matches from Curt Radcliff(South) and Jacob McCoy(Herbert Hoover) He has dropped to 171 for rest of season and pinned all of his opponents at Wheeling Duals. SPROUT

January 1, 2004
comments: WRESTLING USA Magazines / NATIONAL WRESTLING COACHES ASSO. / CLIFF KEEN - National High School Team Rankings

By John Hennessey
12/29/03

1. Blair Academy New Jersey
2. Apple Valley Minnesota
3. Brandon, Florida
4. St. Edward, Ohio
5. Northampton, PA
6. Wasatch, Utah
7. Easton Pennsylvania. 
8. Davison Michigan 
9. St. Paris Graham, Ohio
10. Great Bridge Virginia
11. Providence Catholic, Illinois
12. Bakersfield California
13. Montini, Illinois
14. St. Rita, Illinois
15. Simley, Minnesota
16. Reynolds, Pennsylvania
17. Upper Perkiomen, Pennsylvania
18. Absegami New Jersey 
19. El Reno, Oklahoma
20. PARKERSBURG, WEST VIRGINIA
21. Massillon Perry Ohio 
22. Evansville Mater Dei, Indiana
23. Clarkston, Michigan
24. Nazareth, Pennsylvania
25. Camden Catholic, New Jersey 

January 1, 2004
comments: from the looks of things so far, I see Parkersburg on top, placing high at the ironman, beast, and powerade. Did not wrestle up to capability at the powerade though. Shyver, Rader, Thomas, and Dearman, the 4 work horses that carry the team. litton and lindamood are lookin good to.....reall good. I thoght hayes had a breakout tourny at the powerade, look for him to do big things.

South had a good showing at the ironman and reno, great dual match against st paris graham. middle weights struggling (norman, walters), sean shaun smith and porter look great though.

Huntington has had at least a million duals so far. winning them all i believe. placed first at wendys classic. fraleys gettin it done at 103, riner,nelson(145) and hutchinson doin good to. their HWT hasnt lost many matches either.

Brooke-where have you all been?

jefferson- been doing well the little gustines at 103 seems to be coming along fine so far to the world of high school wrestlnig. the other gustines boys are also fairng well also.

university-as far as i know theyve been crushing everyone, turnbull is good as usual, brewster at 130 is he undefeated? look out rader!

ripley and nitro i havent seen or heard much about yet. but im sure mitch and easter are doing their fair share of defeating their opponets.

January 1, 2004
comments: Congratulations to Mitch Smith(Ripley for being named Outstanding Wrestler at the Wheeling Park Duals.

January 1, 2004
comments: it looks like 145 will be tough this year, richey, litton, nelson, osuna cotto....will be interesting to see how that weight goes down.

January 1, 2004
comments: THAT STINKS THAT WILLIAMSTOWN AND SOUTH WONT WRESTLE. WHAT WILL BE SOME GOOD MATCH UPS TO SEE HAPPEN WITH OAK GLEN? WALTERS AND NORMAN HAVENT BEEN WRESTLING WELL LATELY. SEAN AND SHAUN SMITH AND PORTER ARE LOOKIN REAL GOOD RIGHT NOW. PORTER BEATING TYLER SCHLATER IS AWESOME. TOUGH LOSS FOR SEAN AGAINST FRERICHS, GOOD JOB BEATING HIM AT IRONMAN THOUGH.

January 1, 2004
comments: I was at the Agie Skeens Tournament in Grundy VA this week. Great competition!! State Champs from VA, SC, AL, and WV. This was the first time I have gotten to see Shady Springs wrestle in a long time and I was very impressed. Everytime Josh Neal took the mat he put on a takedown clinic. I was also very impressed with Derek Scarbro. He lost in the finals -- however there were alot of controversial calls that could have cost him the match. However, the way he handled himself showed a great deal of class and as we all know wrestling is just as much about being a champion off the mat as well as on it. As for 130, that must be a great wrestle off -- Harvey and Lester both did very well. Great wrestlers, great coaches, and a great team... GOOD LUCK Shady! -- See ya next year at Grundy

January 1, 2004
comments: Will there be any results posted from the Wheeling Park Duals?? Thanks in advance.
Editor's note: Someone sent in team scores from Day 1 (12/29). I'm hoping folks will send in day two results in the next day or two.

There are 3 day one team scores I didn't get -- Fairmont Sr vs Parry McClure, Hedgesville vs North Marion, and Bellaire vs Wheeling Central. I think I have the rest. What happened between North Marion and Hedgesville??
Wheeling Park Duals Results:
First Place Team: Brooke 8-0
Second Place Team: Buckeye Local 7-1
Outstanding Wrestler: Mitch Smith (140# Ripley)

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page