West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 2000 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 5, 2000
comments: FIRST OF ALL TO RESPOND TO MIDDLE SCHOOL/JUNIOR HIGH COMPETING TOGETHER? THATS THE WAY THE SYSTEM IS GET OVER IT. YOU DONT SEE SINGLE A TEAMS COMPLAINING THAT DOUBLE AA TEAMS HAVE MORE KIDS AND THAT ITS UNFAIR. UNTIL THE WHOLE STATE GOES TO A MIDDLE SCHOOL SYSTEM I THINK THERE SHOULDNT BE ANY COMPLAINING ABOUT WHO RANKS WHERE AND WE WOULD BE BETTER IF WE HAD OUR NINTH GRADERS BACK. IF YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN COMPLAIN TO TO YOUR BOARD OF EDUCATION.

January 5, 2000
email: trip17@hotmail.com
comments: I agree. I am an x-mat maid. Me and one other person did all the work while numerous other "mat maids" flirted with guys and ate. I know there are a few good ones but I don't see why a b-team wrestler couldn't do it.

January 5, 2000
comments: I think that Logan should get a little more recognition for their accomplishments I mean they have only been beat by Herbert Hoover and Hedgesville. It's a shame that someone who is not even from Logan can recognize that. What about Logan's 215 Matt Edwards he's undefeated and Logan's Jeff Altizer he's 12-3. I think that these boys have alot of talent and I wouldn't be surprised if these boys place in the State Tournament.

January 5, 2000
comments: To the person that put the comment up about GW not getting any respect... Jody Pauley may have a pretty good record but I guess we'll see at Nitro.

January 5, 2000
comments: What teams are gonna be at the Cameron Tri-State??

January 5, 2000
comments: i myself being a former wrestler believe that the regions should be evened out a little more. i also like the fact that the fairmonts and marion are in a region claser to the panhandle and morgantown teams are not. how logical is this? morgantown is a good half an hour closer than the fairmonts and marion teams are to the panhandle. i am just wondering what the officials whom made up the regions were thinking when they made them. come on must be a charleston based group. Lets get it right and make it fair for wrestlers whom are deserving of states to get their chance instead of placing 5th or 6th in strong regions....

January 5, 2000
email: talonterritory@hotmail.com
comments: OK here it goes.... I wish "South Mat-Maid" had put an email address on so I could talk to her face to face as I do not wish to continue this over the forum. However I believe I should expand upon my comment about mat maids. I believe I said MOST of which are glorified cheerleaders... and I do stand behind that comment. From what I was told each South Mat Maid "gets a wrestler" and you are his personal little cheerleader during the year. I don't believe that there is a need for 24 statisticians...
The South "mat maids" will forever be a group I strongly dislike due to an incident that occured at states last year. So please excuse me if I don't sound apologetic that you misinterpreted my comment. I do not wish to go into what happened on the forum but I would be more than willing to tell anyone over email.
Mr. LeMaster... I'm very sorry if I seemed overly abrasive when I posted my first comment on the forum I really do understand what you meant and I agree with you. I just wanted it cleared up a little.

January 5, 2000
comments: Has Anyone heard anything about morrello from Gw?

January 5, 2000
comments: Does anyone know who Nicholas County has at heavyweight?

January 5, 2000
comments: I heard Jason Hayhurst was going to wreslte 125 at Jackson county is there any truth to this or is it another rumor?

January 5, 2000
email: samsbt@citynet.net
comments: To Curious
Sherrard is deserving of a ranking in a Jr. High poll. With their lost to Beckley-Stratton I would put them tied with Jackson. I've heard rumor they split with Moundsville so they could be as high as 3rd. Moundsville impressed me at the Clash and without seeing Sherrard's official match line-ups in both Moundsville matches and knowing Beckley-Stratton has since lost their starting 155 pounder here is my new adjusted rankings:
1 Blennerhassett
2 Harpers Ferry
3 Moundsville
4 Edison
T5 Beckley-Stratton
T5 Jackson
T5 Sherrard
8 Hamilton
9 Cammack
10 Williamstown

How has Cameron fared so far? Could they be in my top ten? I assume they came in second at the Cameron tournament just ahead of East Fairmont.

To Coach Lemasters: I checked with school administration and a school must compete with it's own students. I still like the idea of the Milton All-Stars and the Barboursville All-Stars. Maybe you can do that in a pre-season scrimmage.

I am willing to compile a State Jr. High/Middle School ranking. E-Mail me your rankings and I will keep them confidential. Let me know if you are a coach or fan and I might be able to do two polls if we have enough response. Also identify yourself and what part of the state you are from. If you want to use an alias that's fine with me just be consistant.
January 5, 2000
comments: I would like to congratulate the Greenbrier West Wrestling Team for such a great job so far this season. I've never seen a team that has as much skill as they do. They are sure to have many more wins this season. For all the 103 and 112 wrestlers you better watch out for Pat Bell. Bell is currently wrestling 112 and is losing weight to be 103. His record so far is 14-1. This is Bell's 10th year in wrestling so he knows all the moves by heart and is quick at performing them. If his record is this good at 112 he'll be a beast at 103.
Editor's note: Help!!!! Somebody send me some scores from the south...

January 5, 2000
comments: To Jim Lemaster: thank you for your apology it was appreciated.

January 4, 2000
email: curreyml.wirefire
comments: did you not get my question for the forum or did you decide not to post it.
To: South Fans
Editor's note: I decided not to post it

January 4, 2000
comments: I saw the junior high rankings offered by Brent Sams. I was wondering if anyone knows the duals records of these schools or if other schools have pretty good records. Sherrard suffered a few big losses but was still blowing out other teams with a 14-3 record after the Sherrard Duals. They belong somehwere in the top five as they also beat #3 Moundsville. And what about a middle school poll with team records?

January 3, 2000
comments: anyone know the rule on were a wrestler can particapate if the area he lives in does not have a team? Can he wrestle for a school he does not attend? Can he attend a school outside his district? If he changes schools to one outside his district, must he sit out a while before he is eligible? How about if your family moves during the season - are you eligible right away?

January 3, 2000
comments: To South Mat Maid...
I have apologized repeatedly even though I truly believe my comments were taken out of context. My reference was NOT to experienced matmaids rather to 7th grade middle school girls in my area who are puzzled as to why there are no ring ropes entrance music and folding chairs! These young ladies were waiting for a tag team match to occur! Let's let the whole thing die a graceful death shall we? My intentions in the beginning were simply to compliment Barboursville Middle for a smoothly run tournament. I have nothing against matmaids ( or for that matter cheerleaders) female wrestlers (I have had three on my teams) or women in general. There was NO MALE BIAS intended. I simply reported that at a tournament (1 not all) that I attended there was a scoring problem due to inexperienced scorekeepers who happened to be females around 12 years old and happened to be wearing cheerleader T-Shirts. One even attempted to write a note while running a clock! This was not a slander of the entire female gender! I'm sure that 12 year old boys would have messed up the score just as much. I also have nothing against 12 year olds or 13 or 14 ad infinitum! So please all you ladies drop the I Am Woman Hear Me Roar routine! I respect you and very much appreciate that there are so many DEDICATED and KNOWLEGEABLE fans who are willing to donate their valuable time to this great sport. If you and Talon want to verbally duke it out over her cheerleader comment then YOU can have at it . . . but please consider me no longer a part of the controversy that I had no intention of stirring up. The vitriolic diatribes are becoming redundant and overdone. Let's use this forum for an open exchange of opinion and honest discussion of WRESTLING which was I am sure the sysops intentions. Also Doc my apology to you for stirring up such a tempest of emotion.

In closing once again ladies I offer a heartfelt and humble apology. You are appreciated and admired. I only wish that the schools in our part of the state had as many hard working and dedicated fans as you do. (Now I suppose my part of the state will rise up in anger! but I sure hope not!)
"Can't we all just get along?"
Editor's note: I am sitting here thinking that I should make some kind of pithy comment or snappy rejoinder but, on second thought, nah, I think I'll stay outta this one.... (smile)
Actually, I am remiss for not thanking Preston's erstwhile mat-stat/student trainer/manager par excellence Misty Miller, now a WVU student, who was responsible for keying in most of the match results from the WP duals. With her trusty laptop she hooked up at the motel and also on-site at the High School, and had most of the results keyed in and transmitted back to the website before I got back home. All I had to do for the most part was cut and paste. Also, thanks to the WP management for making a phone line available along with a copy machine, and thanks to all the teams' mat-stats people who brought their books by for copying. The WP duals was a heck of a tournament, but nobody would have known about it were in not for the efforts of the teams' support staff.

January 3, 2000
email: tazz@neumedia.net
comments: What teams will be at the NITRO tournament?
Editor's note: Haven't received and official update, but, as listed on the schedule pages (and I didn't get schedules from all the schools): Buckhannon, Cabell Midland, Calhoun, East Fairmont, Huntington, Nicholas Co, North Marion, Riverside, RC Byrd, Shady Spring, Woodrow Wilson, and Nitro...

January 3, 2000
email: matfan@aol.com
comments: Are there any high school or junior high tournaments in wva..excluding (wheeling area) in January...on fri-sat...The only one i know of is the WZAZ tourney in hunington...any other fri-sat all day tourneys? thanks...btw..great site

January 3, 2000
Two 103 pounders Pat Bell & Nick Blake are headed toward a showdown this weekend. These two have somewhat of a rivalry between them. Blake leads the series of many matches. Bell has only won two including the last meeting a few years ago according to what I have been informed. Watch out they could be in the running at 103 this year along with many others.
Greenbrier West vs Independence.

January 3, 2000
comments: I think that Jeff Altizer is not only the strongest 171 in the state he is the best all around wrestler. He has the biggest arms I've ever seen for a 171lbs. I look for him to take first place in the Nitro Inv. on Jan 7-8.

January 3, 2000
email: FOR THE FORUM
comments: For those of you who" heard "that Pickens Pratt Bosley and others did not wrestle due to not making weight you really should find out for sure before commenting.

January 3, 2000
email: aws@wirefire.com
comments: referance Jr. High programs: I know some programs dont have 9th graders and all things cant be considered but wood co edison-jackson-blenn have has the best programs since early 80s. No winners from out of wood co for team points in any tourney we were allowed to wrestle in. Many times the wsaz winner got beat at williamstown tourny then again this yr at clash. Its bound to change sometime but until someone can do it yearly they are at the top of the heap. Also look at high school teams the proof is in the puddin. But wood co they rest of state is not standing still. But until something changes nothing but the facts.

January 3, 2000
comments: Congratulations south on a job well done at Brecksville over the holidays. There were 40 really good teams there and you guys took 4th with several excellent wrestlers out of the line up. Lets get everybody back in there where they belong and buckle down to get the job done. we are on our way to yet another state title stay focused guys. Its right in front of you!!!!!

January 3, 2000
comments: First of all I would like to comment on Mr. Lemaster's comment from the 23rd about the "cheerleaders" that are too often keeping score and not watching the match because of the wrestlers.. I have been a South Mat-maid for the past three years and I take great pride in my job and being involved with the wrestling program at South. I do agree that there have been some problems in past years at the state tournament but I assure you that if you found girls that had proven abilities with keeping score then you would have less problems. I know there are occassional problems but you can't cut down the entire program because of it.

I would also like to respond to Talon's comment on the score keepers. I don't doubt your ability of keeping score if you know what you are doing and pay attention it's not that hard but I do resent the fact of you saying that Mat-maids are glorified cheerleaders. If I had wanted to become a cheerleader I would have tried out for the cheerleading squad. The fact of the matter is that I really dislike cheerleading (except in the case of football and maybe basketball) I participate in Matmaids because I enjoy watching the sport of wrestling not for the fact of looking at the guys and drooling over them.

I would just like to get the facts straight.

January 3, 2000
From: Brent Sams Tournament Director - Wood County Clash of Champions
comments: Clash of Champions a success.
I would like to thank everyone who was involved with the recent Jr. High/Middle School tournament held in Wood County "Clash of Champions". This was my first adventure in directing a tournament at any level and I learned it takes many hands to make a tournament successful. From the boosters working the concessions and doors. To the South Mat Maids and future South Mat Maids working the tables. To the Coaches and Boosters Chairpersons coordinating the mats and peripherals needed. But most importantly the wrestlers on the mat who provided the fans with competitive matches in the best sportsmanlike manner I’ve seen in quite some time. The building administrator was nervous about Jr. High students overtaking an Elementary School for a day but after about an hour into the event his fears subsided and he commented “These are the best behaved students I’ve seen.” Thank you students. Whoever said wrestlers were animals what I saw last week was young ladies and gentlemen being molded into tomorrow’s leaders. Thanks to everyone.

We’ve had some feedback into expanding our awards which we will take action on for next year. We will probably do away with tie breaking criteria which recognizes one wrestler per weight class on the all-tournament team and recognize all competitors with the best record in each weight. We are also in the process of attaining a larger facility to bring in more teams. So bare with us as we grow into providing a competitive tournament.

To Coach Lemasters
As a Jr. High Tournament Director I have no problem with combining a middle school with a ninth grade team for the Clash Tournament. All-Star teams at wrestling tournaments are not uncommon but are traditionally made up of reserves. Whatever boy thought of that has great vision. Our coaches like the best competition and would want all teams to be on a par. Cammack did not back down one step from any team but all realized they were overmatched in lack of ninth grade experience and leadership. One stipulation I would have is the ninth grader lives within the Middle School’s school district. I wouldn’t want a Cabell Midland Ninth grader from Barboursville wrestling for Milton even if he moved to Barboursville after going through Milton’s school system and vice versa. Problems I see arising is which team gets charged with the weigh-ins? I assume both teams Milton and Cabell Midland Freshmen. Is the Freshmen Coach going to be O.K. with that and is it fair to the ninth graders from Barboursville’s school district if Barboursville does not make the trip? If all three coaches can come to a gentlemen’s agreement I would not have a problem with all three schools being charged the weigh-ins and combining into two teams. Some of the other coaches might have objections to it. Another thing would be the WVSSAC approval of such a thing.

Someone asked me to rank Junior Highs and post on the forum. I don’t think I can do that and be fair to other schools that I have not seen results from. I’ve heard good things about Wellsburg and the Morgantown/Fairmont area but have seen no official results. I have no clue as to what is in the Lewisburg area or other team’s from the Eastern Panhandle. Here’s a limited view of what I have seen so far.
This is a duals ranking:
1 Blennerhassett
2 Harpers Ferry
3 Moundville
4 Edison
5 Beckley-Stratton
6 Jackson
7 Hamilton
8 Cammack
9 Williamstown

I believe there are teams that would fit around 4th place that I have not seen results from. I think Beckley-Stratton would beat Edison in a tournament but Edison has the advantage in a dual because of Beckley-Stratton’s forfeits. I give the advantage to Hamilton over Cammack because a regulation dual does not wrestle the 190 pound class and Hamilton would have beaten Cammack at the Clash if not for that weight. Williamstown has a good team but is weakened by their upper weight forfeits.

January 2, 2000
email: stevenlori@erols.com
comments: Why hasn't their been a AAA Poll yet. AA has had two polls.
Editor's note: My sources on this topic (and its a pretty reliable source) tell me that
a) In years past the AAA poll has not come out until after the new year, and that
b) The feeling is that, up until a few days ago, "nobody has wrestled anybody yet" in AAA. Having given it some thought, here are the teams I think would figure in to the top 10 somewhere - - Parkersburg South, Hedgesville, North Marion, Cabell Midland, Fairmont Senior, Nitro, Parkersburg, Huntington, Herbert Hoover, Point Pleasant, University. We really haven't seen many of these teams head-to-head until the WP Duals, and some have been seen very little. On the AA/A side, perhaps some early season AA/A events such at the Ritchie Duals, Frankfort Invitational, Hardwood Duals, etc, have allowed the AA/A coachs to make some early season picks. Expect and AAA poll in a week or so....

January 2, 2000
comments: I see where Grafton comes into the AAA ranks next year. This will make 13 full teams for Region 2. I hope the coaches are looking ahead and do the right thing by moving the Fairmont/Marion teams located close to the other regional boundaries into Regions 1 or 3 or come up with some other rational change for next season.

The advantage of taking a full team to States is quite an edge for the team title. To wade thru 13 teams and have a top 4 place winner in every weight class takes quite an "up" year to challenge anyone for the team title. I think Hedgesville will give some people a run for their money this year even after having to wade through the 11 other teams this year.

Region 1 is tough although having only 7 teams. I can see why other schools are hesitant to go there. It has some real advantages though. Having all your wrestlers get a 4th out of 7 teams and going to states with a full team is is much more feasible than a 4th out of 13 teams with everyone. If you're unlucky enough to be injured or sick that weekend you just need to survive with a win in a match or two to give you time to heal for states. You don't have to wrestle thru a 13 team tournament to make it.

Not all 13 teams will be strong in every class. But there are always many "loaded" weight classes resulting in some pretty tough wrestlers ending a long wrestling career after the Regional 2 Tournament. Then the following week you see many 4th place wresltlers from other regions having barely winning records wrestling at states. Those Region 2 losing wrestlers getting sqeezed out may not impact team titles but they deserve some fairness in earning a trip to State.

January 2, 2000
comments: I don't no about everyone else but I'm getting tired of hearing about easter. No one is unbeatable that has been proven . I'm sure he is really good wrestler and I think every team is good. Its at the wsaz's regionals states where we will find out who is good and what team is the best. I'm sure every wrestler gives it is best. Also I would like to bring up about ring worm this year. Last year our team got it really bad because other teams refused to treat it or go to the doctor. This past weekend we saw several kids with it and last year our boys were not allowed to wrestle with it (rules from league) so our team is really going to watch it this year because we don't want to go through that again.

January 2, 2000
comments: To the Williamstown Fan if u were a REAL fan of Williamstown u would not be making such bold predictions about us. We dont need people like u talking trash on the internet. We let our wrestling do the talking. Would u please stop making these predictions. It is not our style here to run our mouths like that!

January 2, 2000
comments: id just like to say to all thoes ripley and ravenswood people arguing about facilities at gw we dont have anything we put half of a cut up peeling mat down on the floor in the football fieldhoue u all both should be happy with what u have

January 2, 2000
comments: to phatnic i red ur early season rankings and i noticed you left george washington off of it their 275 jody pauly is 17-4 and their 189 pounder andrew marshall is 19-2 i know that gw has a small team only four people now but they should still be taken into consideration

January 2, 2000
comments: Were are the AAA team rankings these guys deserve the recgonition too!

January 2, 2000
comments: There's been a lot of speculation about the best junior high and middle school teams in the state. I haven't seen Blennerhassat but Harpers Ferry has wrestled most of the other mentioned schools. Among the teams they've beaten are Beckley-Stratton (45-36) and Sherrard (56-24) at the BNI Duals (without three starters who won 28 33 and 39 matches last year). At the Sherrard Duals they beat both Moundsville 49-24 and Sherrard 75-12 (Sherrard also beat Moundsvilles). The Sherrard match was interesting because it was the only time the team has wrestled at near full strength (although one boy was lost with a fractured wrist on the first day). The Tigers still defaulted a match because of injury and won a match despite their boy suffering a bad kidney injury. None of the three started at the McKinley Duals).

The team is still 20-0 and has outscored each opponent by an average score of 61-20 including weight classes they've had to forfeit because of injury or illness. Only four boys have wresled the entire season at the same weight class. The team would love to wrestle "with the Big Boys" at the WSAZ but they kinda thought they already were as they have 43 dual matches and FIVE overnight tournaments this season (plus their own 11-team invitational at Jefferson High). Obviously these 43 matches will take them to a carefully calculated 14 weigh-ins and they have no intention of going over the limit. If Harpers Ferry doesn't get snowed out their final record will do all the talking for them.

January 2, 2000
comments: Will u please not put up the Willasmtown fans post casue they are not speaking for Williamstown.

January 2, 2000
comments: Not only did Beckley-Stratton give three forfeits in their first three matches at the Clash but when checking their match line-up against Wood County's Jackson Jr. High they also received two forfeits from Jackson and only defeated Jackson by seven points. When looking at Wood County's Hamilton's matchup against Cammack Hamilton forfeited four weight classes and only loss by six points. Jackson and Hamilton are expected to place between third and fourth in the County Tournament behind Blennerhassett and the other two Wood County Schools who did not attend the Clash but I understand will be at the WSAZ. Edison Jr High is still a team to be reckoned with and easily defeated Jackson in a dual earlier this year. Williamstown Jr. High also puts out a strong effort and is on a par with Jackson and Hamilton if they are not better. If it wasn't for several forfeits that Williamstown gives up they could hold their own with anyone in the State. Edison needs to be in the State's top five Jr. High programs that I would rate third just ahead of Moundsville.

January 2, 2000
comments: Matt Easter 8 Zach Zubay 3. All of zubays points were escapes that Easter gave him.

January 2, 2000
comments: In reguards to many comments being made in the Wood County Jr High program about any wrestler going to the Tulsa Nationals being reported to WVSSAC. I contacted the WVSSAC and got their interpretation of the rule
1. the wrestler has to have both the coach and principles permission
2. they can not miss a scheduled match or tournament-however they can miss a practice!
I hope this clarifies the misunderstanding. I don't understand why a true wrestling fan would not notify the wrestlers about the ruling if they knew before hand?

January 2, 2000
DanGable.com - Dan Gable's official Website. Check it out, tell a friend about it, and let us know what you think. New features are being added continually, including Gable's Mat Chat, where Dan will discuss issues important to amatuer wrestling. January 2, 2000
comments: IM GLAD TO SEE THAT THE EASTERN PANHANDLE IS STARTING TO EARN SOME RESPECT ACCROSS THE STATE. I WHEN I STARTED WRESTILNG IN THE PANHANDLE NO ONE HAD ANY REPSPECT FOR THE PANHANDLE WRESTLERS. EVERYONE WANTED TO TALK ABOUT MARION COUNTY AND OHIO RIVER TEAMS. IN THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS THE PANHANDLE HAS STARTED TO EARN SOME RESPECT. IT STARTED WITH JEFFERSON AND THEY PASSED THE TORCH TO MARTINSBURG AND THEY ARE PASSING THE TORCH TO HEDGESVILLE. I WISH ALL OF THE TEAMS FORM THE PANHANDLE THE BEST OF LUCK AND I WANT THEM TO SHOW THE REST OF THE STATE THAT THE PANHANDLE DESERVES THE RESPECT THAT THE EARNED

January 2, 2000
comments: Thanks to Mr. Lemaster for letting me know about Milton and Cammack's relative equalness. I asked for someone to respond if they knew of any other teams who feel they are tops in the state and appreciate his doing so. As for the jr. high / middle school speculation I won't open that can of worms. I just stated the facts as to what has taken place this season and not what might happen if things that are never going to happen might take place (if frogs had wings......). I also think Cammack did "darn well" and hope that was represented in my previous post. We sat with Cammack's team most of the day and enjoyed their well mannered young people as well as the sportsmanship of their fans. When some middle schools beat jr. highs then it's because they have a strong program. But when they lose it's because of the lack of 9th graders. When I spoke to some of Cammack's parents neither of these issues were brought up by them. They only mentioned that the competition would be tough for them in Wood Co. but they felt that their team would do them proud. They did !

January 2, 2000
comments: The yellowjackets have done very well this year. I made the predictions earlier in the year. I still believe the same predictions besides a few. I think that Tim Haddox will get 2 in state at 119 Tyler Westbrook will get 5 at 130 Matt Seckman I hope goes to 145 and should contend for the top spot. Also Josh Headly should wrestle at 160 and he would be a contender there. He is being out-muscled at 171. Ryan Delebreau will probably win at 189 but would definitely win at 171. I am just trying to get you win state Ryan. That is my predictions what should happen. Good luck jackets!!!!!

January 2, 2000
comments: Zubay did not place at the Brooke Tournament where as Delligatti took 1st so i dont know about all of that.

January 1, 2000
comments: TO BULLDOG:
Thanks for the comments on Jr. High and Middle school. Most enlightening. In regards to your comment about Cammack having no competitors among middle schools. We haven't given up on catching Cammack yet. Our one and only head to head dual was fairly close. I'm from Milton. In addition Beverly Hills and Barboursville also have fine teams and will make our Cabell County tournament most interesting. The last few years it's been all Milton and Cammack (1998 Milton won 184-111 last year Cammack won 197-195) but that is changing. One of my middle school kids made an interesting observation after the Mckinley tournament when we wrestled mainly JR. Highs and Freshman teams. He said to me "Coach what if we could put Cabell Midland's freshmen in with our team and wrestle the Jr. Highs." Give Cammack back the kids they sent to Huntington and give me back the ones I sent to Midland making us into true 7-8-9 teams and then we'll gladly take on any of the JR. Highs. We might get beat still but it would still be interesting. It's a vast advantage to have the 9th graders added to your team. I think Cammack did darn well at the recent Clash of the Champions and if they had the ninth graders added they might have won it. Check the results from the BNI and give me back Midland's freshman and I think we could be competitive at a tournament such as that. I'm not woofing just making a point about JR. Highs and especially freshman teams wrestling against middle schools.

January 1, 2000
comments: For those of you asking where Pickens was at Brecksville I beleive that he did not make weight. In regards to the other wrestlers from Park. South I do not know exactly =( But I did hear that Nathen Pickens did not make weight and was unable to go!

January 1, 2000
comments: FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO CONGRATULATE THE BLENNERHASSETT BOBCATS ON AN OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE AT THE WOOD COUNTY DUALS. AFTER READING SOME OF THE OTHERS ARTICLES ON JR.HIGH WRESTLING THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO DETERMINE WHO IS THE BEST AND THAT IS TO HAVE THEM MEET HEAD TO HEAD IN EITHER A DUAL OR TOURNAMENT. BEING AROUND WRESTLING FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW IT APPEARS THAT THE WSAZ (FORMALLY THE HUBCO) IS THE ONLY TOURNAMENT THAT ALL SURROUNDING TEAMS CAN COMPETE IN AND PROVE HOW TOUGH THEIR TEAM IS. IT IS ONE THING TO BRAG HOW TOUGH YOUR TEAM IS AND ANOTHER TO SHOW HOW TOUGH THEY ARE. IN MY OPINION IF SOMEONE THINKS THEY ARE THE TOUGHEST I'D THINK THEY WOULD ENTER THE TOURNAMENT AND PROVE IT. ITS NOT TO LATE TO ENTER. AFTER WATCHING SOME OF BLENNERHASSETT'S WRESTLING MATCHES I CAN'T SEE ANY OTHER TEAM HAVING A BETTER LINE UP THAN THEY DO. FROM THE 123 LB. CLASS DOWN THEY ARE SUPER TOUGH NOT ONLY IN EXPERIENCE BUT ALSO SKILL. AND AT THE OTHER END OF THE LINE UP THEY HAVE THREE OF THE STRONGEST KIDS I'VE SEEN AT THAT LEVEL. COMBINE ALL THAT TOGETHER WITH SOME AVERAGE KIDS IN THE MIDDLE WIEGHT CLASSES I CAN'T SEE ANY OTHER TEAM WITH THOSE CREDENTIALS. IN CLOSING I WOULD URGE HARPERS FERRY TO ENTER THE WSAZ TO PROVE THAT THEY ARE THE BEST JUNIOR HIGH IN THE STATE OR WE WILL HAVE TO SETTLE ON THE WSAZ TO SEE WHO RANKS WHERE.

January 1, 2000
comments: Who is the best Jr. High team in the state ? Harper's Ferry seems to want to lay claim to that title (or at least whoever is posting to this website does) without wrestling all the available contenders. Maybe I may be able to shed some light to this subject. After witnessing Beckley-Stratton wrestle all of the the contenders Blennerhassett Cammack Harper's Ferry Moundsville and Sherrard (if there is someone else let me know). Here is my opinion at the B.N.I. Super Duals Beckley-Stratton dominated Sherrard and lost a close decision to Harper's Ferry 45-36 while forfeiting 18 points per match (contest was decided in the heavyweight match). At the Wood Co. Clash of Champions Beckley-Stratton forfeited 18 points per match in their 1st 3 matches including Moundsville and 24 points per match in their last 2 contests Blennerhassett and Commack. Beckley-Stratton defeated Cammack 43-42 (not as close as score would indicate Beckley-Stratton won 8 of the 11 matches wrestled) and lost to Moundsville 51-27 (2 close matches could have gone either way 83 and 116) and then lost to Blennerhassett 52-30 (pretty much cut and dried). Blennerhassett then proceded to defeat Moundsville 51-30. While readily admitting that Harper's Ferry was missing a few wrestlers at the B.N.I. so was Blennerhassett at the Clash of Champions. With this in mind I feel that Blennerhassett Harper's Ferry Moundsville and Beckley-Stratton are definately the 4 strongest teams in the state this season. Cammack is by itself among middle schools with no contenders but is not comparable to the big 4. Now how do the big 4 play out you ask ? In my opinion in duals competition 1. Blennerhassett 2.(tie)Harper's Ferry and Moundsville (although Moundville lost to Harper's Ferry earlier this season I feel it is pretty well even between them) 4. Beckley-Stratton (while Beckley-Stratton has the stars they need their other weight classes to be filled to compete with the top 3 teams in a duals format). In a bracket tournament these 4 would probably shuffle with the edge maybe going to Beckley-Stratton. The WSAZ will have Blennerhassett and Beckley-Stratton attending Harper's Ferry won't be there with the big boys and I'm not sure whether Moundsville will be in attendance or not. This is my opinion for what it's worth if you see it differently put up a post that's the reason Doc gave us this forum.

January 1, 2000
comments: what was the score beetween Matt Easter and Zack Zubay's match

January 1, 2000
comments: I was at the St. Clairville Invitational. Oak Glen is looking I hate to say it absolutely awesome. They had all 14 kids place. Matt Easter looked very good against Zubay. He handily defeated Zubay and the score didnt reflect this. Zubay defeated Delingatti. Not that it matters. I think it will be a good match between Delingatti and Easter but I think Easter will prevail.

January 1, 2000
comments: I agree on Matt Easter predictions. I can see him in the state championship against delligatti. This will be a tough match and i think either is capable of winning. There are a few darkhorses at 103 and of course like always the brackets make or break your championship hopes. Good Luck to all wrestlers and i hope for a safe and happy holiday.

January 1, 2000
comments: Where was Bosley Duncan Pickens Pratt and Bosley from Park. South this weekend at the Brecksville tournament. Were they sick or injured?

January 1, 2000
Comments: Matt Stevens and Matt George didn't make weight for the Powerade Tournament.

January 1, 2000
Pickens, Pratt, and Bosley didn't make the trip to Brecksville

January 1, 2000
comments: Ooops! Apologies go out to Chris "The Beast" Galford who informed me that his current season wrestling record was inadvertantly omitted from the updated Harpers Ferry Jr. High team page. Chris' record so far is 11-3. His three losses came at the Sherrard Duals when he stepped up to the 83 lb. class so that our 83 lb. wrester could move up to 90 lbs. to fill a void there. A bad bout of the flu over Christmas dropped his weight to 65 lbs. at the McKinley Duals weigh-ins (where he took first) and he will obviously remain at the 75 lb. class the rest of the season. Sorry Chris!

January 1, 2000
Where are the results for the Point Pleasant round robin on the 29th. Could someone please submit them Im sure everyone is interested.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page