West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 1999 Forum (Part Two)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 17, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Jason Hayhurst for his win over NM's Floyd. Go Jason!

January 17, 1999
comments: Does someone else have any predictions for AA besides Spiderman because I don't think his are anywhere close. Sorry but that's what I think from what I've seen and heard. You hafta really think it through first.

January 17, 1999
comments: I talked to Jimmy Johnson and he said that he was sick and his coach would not let him wrestle.

January 17, 1999
comments: The third AAA team poll is out why is it not posted?
Editor's note: I didn't get the poll. Looked for it in the local paper and couldn't find it there either. If you see it, pass it along...

January 17, 1999
email: bigjunk@hotmail.com
comments: HI,everyone, Sounds like it was a good weekwnd of wrestling! I'm anvious to see the results from Braxton! In the meantime, if anyone is interested, I have posted on my homepage:my team and individual placewinners for AA. If anyone is interested, the address is : http://homepages.infoseek.com/~da_spider I actually worked on these predictions. I may not be a mathmatical genius, but i enjoy creating my own polls. Take a look for yourself. Spider

January 17, 1999
comments: Can someone tell me why Jimmy Johnson did not wrestle at the Braxton Big 16?

January 17, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Nick Prather (Win) who beat Scott Bush (Rav) and recieved MOW at the Braxton tornament. Can someone tell me if he will remain at 125 or drop back down to 119?

January 17, 1999
email: Levi1042@aol.com
comments: Just got back from the Big 16 Tournament and boy was it exciting.... There was alot of tough competition there today... As all teams seemed ready to wrestle and show off what they had. Wirt Co. brought home the 1st place team trophy as Braxton Co. came in 2nd...So these teams were on the prowl and made everyone know they are ready to wrestle.... It should be exciting to see how the season ends out... and to see if some of the upsets that happened today can happen later on in the season...So congratulations to all who gave it there all.. and those of you who brought home the trophies...JOB WELL DONE....and Good Luck the rest of the SEASON....

January 17, 1999
email: WV_wrestler@yahoo.com
comments: Greenbrier West wrestled in a dual matches vs. Christiansburg and Patrick Henry on Fri. and did very well. Christiansburg was ranked #1 in class AA in VA and without the varsity 119 (who could have easily won) only lost 48 to 36. Patrick Henry is trying to restart a program that was dropped a few years ago and did not offer much of a match. I would just like to say this is a great website, keep up the good work.

January 17, 1999
comments: i understand the new coaches polls are out ...why have they not been posted?
Which polls do you mean. Team or individual?

January 17, 1999
comments: I forgot to mention that Ramsey kid from Calhoun...he's no slouch either.

January 17, 1999
comments: Well Dan Layman got thrown on his back and gave 5 points up early or he would have beat him. He is older and wiser now it will be diff story this year plus he has put on 26 pounds of (Pure Power)

January 15, 1999
comments: I think that Jimmy Johnson may in fact be the best wrestler at 119 this year. If anybody overlooks Eric McCartney this year they're going to get stuck big time. Calhoun has the talent end up in the top three in the state this year so if they come to your tournament be ready. Jeremy Laughlin has some skills, as does Ledbetter and the younger McCartney. You will be hearing from me again soon look out AA/A!

January 15, 1999
comments: "Friend of" states he thinks Laymen will win hands down at 215AA. MMMMMMMM? Bet he thought it would be Laymen and Kupfner in the finals at 189AA last year too. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO MMMMMMMM? BUSICK looked like a one man wrestling wrecking crew at Wheeling Park.

January 15, 1999
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: About the Jr.Hi rankings. They mean nothing without the Wood Co. schools. Also, At the Cameron Tournament in December East Fairmont defeated both Cameron and Moundsville. Maybe Moundsville sent it's second team, I don't know, but it can't be ignored.

January 15, 1999
comments: who do u guys think will win states at 215AA. I think hands down Dan Layman of Petersburg will win It.

January 15, 1999
comments: PT's are really hard drills we do in practise. We started them when an old wrestler who is now a Navy Seal, came and showed them to us. They're a set of really hard drills which we do over and over.

January 15, 1999
comments: to RKB I think your team is a top team this year and the team well do just fine at winners choice (i wish i could make it) good luck have fun and take it easy

January 15, 1999
comments: PT's stand for physical training

January 15, 1999
comments: to anonymous 152 pounder, i do believe i know what PT's are!! Too bad the rest of the state doesn't...huh! As for Danny Long, he's at 215, so Luke Salmons as well as Alex McClung are safe. I just hope DANNY LONG heals up from ALL his INJURIES!!! spider

January 15, 1999
comments: i would like to tell the "a mason dixon fan" that miller is not full they have 4 forfiets.

January 15, 1999
Memo to: anonymous 152 pounder
What are PT's?

January 15, 1999
Regarding Danny Long: He is a really tough wrestler and goes really hard during practice. I expect to see him place high at states. Look out Luke Salmons!!!

January 15, 1999
comments: Best Wrestler in the State?
If you went to the HHS-CM dual, you sure would have missed the best wrestler in the state. That's because he wrestles for Wirt County.

January 15, 1999
email: jaltobello@mindspring.com
comments: Despite the fact that Keyser is not a participant in the Big 16 Tournament, a couple of predictions included 2 of Keyser's wrestlers, Maybury (152) and Altobello (171). They both appreciated the mention. Keyser opted to enter the Winner's Choice tournament this year since we moved back up to AAA.

January 14, 1999
comments: To BU Fan
Check your results again. I was there and the score was Midland 40 Stubenville 28. To quote Forest Gump, "That's all I got to say about that!" Note - see scores and results Dec. 30th

January 14, 1999
comments: I think that there will be a lot of big upsets this weekend at the BIG 16. Tomorrow is gonna be one heck of a big day for AA wrestlers. They have cut weight all week and now they are ready for a big tournament. Some will be suprised with the tuff competition and some will living up to the name that they've made for themselves. Good luck to everyone!

January 14, 1999
comments: As the weekend approaches, I would like to take the time to wish all the participants in the Big 16 and Winners Choice, GOOD LUCK! These are two very tough tournaments with some of the state top competitors. I regret that i do not have the opporitunity to wrestle in either tourney. But i hope for safe weekend for everyone involved.
HAPPY WRESTLING, SPIDER

January 14, 1999

comments: Watch out for DANNY LONG of Frankfort, after winning the Jr. States in Ohio last year, he will be tough for Frankfort. After he recovers fully from his INJURIES, he may be able to give Lahman and Busick a run for their money!

January 14, 1999
comments: you have a point about those other teams having a few good kids each, but what im saying is that midland and north marion will have most of their kids qualifying and that they have better all around teams. and nobody will know until february, so go KNIGHTS!!!

January 14, 1999
comments: To:jc15
The only time BU has met CM and NM in a team tournament has been at the Domino duals. Do you forget that BUs only losses despite forfeiting 2 weight classes (one which is now filled with a good wrestler 160) were to Ripley by 8 and Stuebenville by 1 who was the eventual champion that defeated both CM and NM. Also the situation arose in a duals match at NM when BU handed NM a 10 point loss. The only thing we can do is wait and see what happens, but I for sure wouldn't count anyone out.

January 14, 1999
comments: A lot of people are overlooking some very good teams in the state tourney. Cabell Midland and North Marion aren't the only teams in the running. Hedgesville, Ripley, and Buchannon Upshur are all well rounded teams. Hedgesville, being led by 135 pounder Bryan Moats, and their 125 pounder are going to score more than a few points in the state tourn. Ripley's Adam King (215), Chad Mullins, and Nathan Logan (171) are all going to place high in the states this year. Buchannon's 130 and 140 pounders are both two to watch this year in states.

January 14, 1999
comments: everyone is overlooking region4 wrestlers, like 125 blankenship 130 perdue,189 thompson i'll guarantee, they will make a run.

January 14, 1999
comments: I liked the Junior High/Middle School poll by A Wrestling Fan and thought it was pretty accurate. As far as I know, all of the losses suffered by the top five teams (Moundsville, McKinley, Independence, Sherrard, and Harpers Ferry) have been to each other. And I think that all but a few of the losses of the other five teams have also been to other teams listed in the poll. I think that Moundsville and Ripley Middle (and maybe Cameron?) will be wrestling at the Sherrard Duals this weekend, while Harpers Ferry and Summersville will both be at the Spencer duals. Most of the teams listed will meet again at either the WSAZ tournament or other tournaments later in the season, so it will be interesting to see how things turn out.

January 14, 1999
comments: Great job FRANKFORT on your win against berkeley springs!!! It was a team effort and it showed! All the have worked hard all week and derserved to win. It was an exciting match, still some weight clases could go either way. It will be fun to watch the Frankort-Berkeley Springs duals thru out the year. Good Luck Falcons!

January 14, 1999
comments: i believe that people should look at cabell midland more often and stop talking about BU, they couldnt handle north marion and midland in a tournament. North Marion and CM are the only two teams that even stand a chance of winning the state,and a few teams will make an impact like hedgesville and psouth.

January 14, 1999
email: mlucas61@aol.com
comments: I attended the Midland vs. HHS dual last night and it was a very exciting event, despite HHS not having an opponent to Jason Ward. We did not get to see the state's best wrestler in action. However the match was still very exciting with Byron "gravy king" Wellman coming up big for the Knights with a huge victory over Morgan. Congratulations Midland!!!

January 14, 1999
email: bu118@ovnet.com
comments: Lets give credit to this whole web site. The likes of Jenny who works very hard and all that make this possible. As a parent I am appreciative of being able to keep up with a sport I love and my family participates in. This site has bridged gaps normally not crossed with fellow parents and direct competitors of my kids. It helps promote the true defination of sportmanship by the wrestlers who work so very hard and does not give credence to politically correct defination of the term sportmanship. I personally thank those who make this site possible!

January 14, 1999
comments: You have overlook several good Middle School Teams from the Mason Dixon League. I see it was noted that Miller beat Cameron, But Buckhannon also split with Miller this year and has been beaten twice in very close matches by Cheat Lake. It might be noted that Buckhannon forfeits 2 weight classes while the aforementioned teams are full. Its obvious that the Mason Dixon League has been overlooked this year however it doesnt appear that Cameron will even be in the top 3 or 4. It could be the first year in a long time that a Middle School team wins the League championship with no Jr. in the top 3.

January 13, 1999
comments: GREAT JOB MIDLAND ON YOUR WIN AGAINST hhs. IT WAS A GREAT MATCH MIDLAND WRESTLED HARD AND CAME OUT ON TOP. AND WELLMAN DOES IT AGAIN. AND THE CMHS CHEERING SECTION IS THE BEST IN THE STATE.

January 13, 1999
comments: Congratulations on your win against rival Huntington High! We are very proud of you. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see you wrestle at the States. GO KNIGHTS!

January 13, 1999
comments: I just returned from the Midland vs HHS dual match. Final score Midland 32 Huntington 30. A real barn burner that came down to the heavyweight match and was in front of a full house of rocking fans from both teams. You'd almost think you were at a Parkersburg vs South duals. Great Job Midland and way to go Byron Wellman who won the pivotal heavyweight match.

January 13, 1999
comments: I think if you are going to do a junior high poll that you don't over look any of the wood county schools

January 13, 1999
email: tblower@hotmail.com
comments: Yes Crislip (130) from Braxton is back for the Big Sixteen, and Butcher is wrestling 125 as he has almost all year

January 13, 1999
To: A Wrestling Fan
comments: You might want to include Fairmont Miller in your Junior High Poll, as they have beaten your #7 team Cameron 42-24.

January 13, 1999

comments: Here are my pics for the big 16 in no paticular order, just top two.
103-Gandee, Auvil
112-McCartney, Sharp
119-Harris, Johnson
125-Leach, Bush
130-Lowe, Minger
135-Jones, Cross
140-Miller, Cunningham
145-McCartney, Toth
152-Maybury, Escue
160-Richards, Drennen
171-Kinley, Dingess
189-Villars, Lewis
215-Layman, Baxter
HWT-Laughlin, Salmons

January 13, 1999
email: AAwrestlefan@hotmail.com
comments: Here are my picks for Braxton this weekend.
103- Gandee (Rav) or Morris (Cal)...I think Morris is being underestimated.
113- McCartney (Cal)...major improvement from last year.
119- Johnson (Cal)...strong.
125- Bush (RAV)...hopefully Prather (Win), Jones (SH), or Ledbetter (cal) will give him a good match.
130- Lowe (Wirt)
135- Cross (Wirt)...is he able to wrestle this weekend?
140- Miller (Wirt)...in my opinion he will be a four time state champ.
145- McCartney (Cal)...will White (Win) give him a good match?
152- ?
160- ?
171- Dingess (PB)...looking tough.
189- ?
215- ?
HWT- Salmons (Rav)... all the way.

I am unsure on 152, 160, 189, and 215. Feel free to mail me comments.

January 13, 1999
comments: Here are a few picks for AAA. Just my opinion, they are not intended to insult anyone. So, do not try to insult me if you feel I have overlooked someone.
103 Matt Stevens Parkersburg
112 Chris Johnson Nitro
119 J.P. Stanley Cabell Midland
125 Brian Floyd North Marion
130 Todd Arbes Cabell Midland
135 bryan Moats Hegesville
140 Jeremy Lane Capital
145 Nicholas Hedrick Fairmont Senior
152 Ty Emrick Parkersburg South
160 Jason Ward Cabell Midland
171 Todd Daggett Parkersburg South
189 Wes Pickens Parkersburg South
215 Josh Coffey Cabell Midland
275 Dave Hearst Fairmont Senior

January 13, 1999
comments: I dont see why someone would think that Miller from east fairmont and jason ward from cabell midland will be one the biggest matches of the season. Miller lost to the guy from buckey local while ward defeated that common opponent 8-1.

January 13, 1999
comments: Just thought I would submit a Jr. High and Middle School poll to stir up some comments and ideas for Jr. High and Middle School wrestling. What do you think?
1. Moundsville
2. McKinley
3. Independence
4. Sherrad
5. Harpers Ferry
6. Point
7. Cameron
8. Hayes
9. Ripely Middle
10. Summersville

January 13, 1999
comments: I just finished reading Mat Lines and I want to say what a great job Ms. Sullivan does. She's a great credit to this WEB site and to the sport Statewide. Whatever her pay is, they need to double it. I was wondering if her column is carried by any newspapers? My vote for sportswriter of the year goes to Ms. Sullivan.
Editor's note: To my knowledge, Jenny's columns are not in any newspapers. I'll go one better. We shall triple Jenny's salary. Let's see ..... 3 X $0.00 = $0.00. The check's in the mail (smile again). BTW, Dr. Bill Welker, another dedicated contributor to this website, works for the same salary. You can find his columns in the Wheeling News-Register.

January 13, 1999
comments: TO: Everyone
Several people want to know who spiderman really is. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is ****** of *******. It took some time but when he wrote his picks for 125 that's when I knew it was him. I E-mailed him and that is when I found out it was him.
Editor's note: Well, now I have a real moral dilemma on my hands. I too know the secret identity of Spiderman. To Spiderman's credit, he has generally been a straight shooter with me (except for one egregious episode earlier this year), and I told him I wouldn't divulge his secret identity. I'm just trying to think of what Perry White would do in this situation -- If he learned the secret identity of Superman, would he publish it in the Daily Planet.....???? (smile).

January 13, 1999
comments: I have heard that Crislip from Braxton who has been out all year will be coming back for the Big Sixteen.

January 13, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Cabell Midland with an outstanding season so far. Looking forward to the Huntington High Match! Good Luck to all the wrestlers! Sure do miss all of you!

January 12, 1999
comments: When will Matt Miller of East Fairmont meet up With Jason Ward of Cabell Midland? I think that will be one of the top match ups in the state this year.

January 12, 1999
comments: Everyone out there in the AA 125 pound class, I would look out for Sean Junkins. I see that he only has a couple of losses. Two of them are technical falls though.

January 12, 1999
comments: On the Eye's comments for Braxton, how come Maybury is listed at 152? Who is this wrestler and how did he get on the sheet

January 12, 1999
comments: I hope all AA fans are looking forward to the Braxton Tornament this coming weekend. I know there will be some exciting match-ups and great wrestling. I am curious to see what team comes out on top. The best of luck to the Calhoun Red Devils!

January 12, 1999
comments: From: AA Fan
As I have been looking over everyones predictions there has been one name that has not been mentioned, that name is Jason Hayhurst. What weight is he wrestling? I saw his match with Bush and I don't think Jason was wrestling to the best of his ability. I am hoping to see a rematch soon.

January 12, 1999
comments: I hear there is going to be a big match this week at Huntington ...Huntington and Cabell Midland in a dual. The number 2 and 3 ranked teams in the state and a rival to boot. Wish I could get down to see that one bet it'll be a hum-dinger...I hope they get the match posted up on the page as soon as possible.

January 12, 1999
comments: Predictions for Braxton:
103 Gandee, Morris, Grace
112 McCartney, Culverhouse, Sharp
119 Johnson, Miller, Harris
125 Bush, Leach, Ledbetter
130 Lowe, Minger, Cottrell
135 Cross, Bragg, Jones
140 Miller, Cunningham, Dillon
145 McCartney, White, Toth
152 Escue, Maybury, Toth
160 Richards, Drennen, Frame
171 Kinley, Altobello, Dingess
189 Lewis, Villers, Hart
215 Lahman, Micheal, Baxter
HWT Salmons, McDonough, Laughlin

Team: Wirt, Calhoun, Ravenswood

January 12, 1999
email: josevjhs@yahoo.com
comments: I want to take this time to let everyone know that I as well agree with Brian Reed. There is not a better person than Jenny Sullivan. She is the nicest person that you will ever have the opportunity to meet. I know her through wrestling and 'family' as well. Everyone should take the opportunity to send a few comments about her and her dedication to the sport which all of us visit this site to read about. I want to thank her for all the hard work she does towards making this site better, and to let her know that I appreciate her for that as well as being a friend.

January 12, 1999
email: sullivj2@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
comments: Thanks, Spiderman, for the information. I always have a sinking feeling when I submit the weight class report that I'm leaving someone out, and in this case it was Jeremiah Kuykendall. My sincerest apolgies go out to Jeremiah and the rest of the Frankfort team and fans for the omission. As for the comment about Dustin Culverhouse, I was going on an email I received from a reliable source. Perhaps I should have stated that his only loss at 112 was to McCartney, since the pin by Junkins was at 125. Thanks for reading. I appreciate your input!

January 12, 1999
email: burger24@ezwv.com
comments: This year at 119 JP Stanley from Cabell Midland is turning some heads. Last week at the Nitro Invitational JP won the tournament in convincing fashion. Also Jason Ward at 160 won the same tournament in the same fashion.

January 12, 1999
comments: I would like to thank J.sullivan for getting the AA matlines out, however I did notice a few areas of disagreement
1) The exclusion of Kuykendall at 189
2) It was written that Culverhouse of Braxton has only suffered one loss, a 6-4 decsion by McCartney. Culverhouse was pinned in 30 seconds by Junkins of Frankfort.

January 12, 1999
comments: I think everyone should watch out for Ritter from Braxton, I think he will do very well

January 12, 1999
comments: I hear Grafton's 119 pounder is not too bad this year. Adam Leach has been turning heads.

January 12, 1999
comments: The reason I picked Regalbutto lose to Floyd because I can. NO ONE is unbeatable. Plus just cause you beat someone once does not mean you will beat them the next time. Every time you wrestle some one you have beat before they will be twice as tough the next time. Anyways all this talk doesn't win the match you have to wrestle on the mat not on the internet.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated January 13, 1999