West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 1998 Forum (Part Three)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 20, 1998
comments: Does anybody have any information on upcoming junior high wrestling tournaments???? Also, is there a state junior high tournament? If not then who are the junior high state champs?
Editor's note: This question has come up before, and I'm not sure it has been addressed, so I'll take a whack at it. To my knowledge, there is no "official" Jr High State Tournament or Championship; that is, none sanctioned or sponsored by the WVSSAC which sanctions the High School State Tournament. In fact, I don't think the SSAC sponsors any Junior High Championship in any sport. There are no regional qualifying tournaments as far as I know in Junior High. I have seen flyers from a tournament billed as the Junior High State Championship. I'm sure it is a fine event and I mean no disrespect to its sponsors - but I think it is the "Championship" tournament only because it bills itself as such. The Junior High Season is pretty much over by the second week in Feburary, and many of the Junior High wrestlers then empty in to the various open tournaments.
Jim LeMaster - help us out here !!

January 20, 1998
comments: One of the best dual matches every year happens again this Thursday at Fairmont Senior as the Polar Bears host the Huskies of North Marion. Both teams are always ranked near the top in the state and always provide exciting entertainment and tough competition. If you can't attend, tune your radio to 102.7 FM to hear the action on WTUS. Congratulations to all wrestlers who competed in the Winner's Choice tournament. As always, a great weekend.

January 20, 1998
Congratulations to Nicholas Hedrick of Fairmont Senior High School. He defeated Shawn Pierce by fall .51 to record his 100th high school career win at the Winner's Choice Tournament this weekend. Nicholas is a junior at FSHS and became the fastest wrestler in West Fairmont history to amass 100 victories. His record this season is 25-2 with 13 falls and with both loses coming from Pennsylvania wrestlers.

January 20, 1998
comments: The Parkersburg Patriots had the following placewinners at the Tulsa Nationals:
Champion- Jacob Frerichs
2nd Place- Mitch Smith, Aaron Kelley, and Shane Grogg
3rd Place- Chad Porter
5th place- Anthony Easter and Matt Bosley
6th Place- JJ Schmidt.
Seth Easter won a trophy for the fastest pin on his mat

Frerichs dominated his class pinning his opponent in the finals. Smith lost his finals match in overtime. Kelley and Grogg both fell into consolations earlier, but both came back strong and won their challenges for 2nd. Porter lost his final match and the automatic challenge for second to finish 3rd. Bosley and Schmidt had to wrestle each other for 5th and 6th. The Tulsa Nationals had 2252 wrestlers from 35 states present for "the toughest ( youth) tournament in the world". January 19, 1998
email: CSARGENT98@Prodigy.net
comments: I would like to congratulate Jason Miller in a "close" victory over Craddock of Roane. Which he received MVW. I would also like to congratulate Wirt in taking a 2nd place finish. I am looking forward to the state tournament in Feb. Let's go Tigers of Wirt County

January 19, 1998
After watching the Winner's Choice Tourney, I thought I should compile list of the state champs (predictions) for the 97/98 season.
103 Jim Shetler (Hedgesville)
112 Anthony Regalbuto (Hedgesville)
119 Matt George (Parkersburg)
125 Newberry (Parkersburg)
130 Adam Gorby (N. Marion)
135 Mike Cinalli (Fairmont Sr.)
140 Nick Hedrick (Fairmont Sr.)
145 Jason Johnson (Parkersburg South)
152 Jason Ward (Cabell-Midland)
160 J.D. Kirby (Jefferson)
171 Ryan Zombro (Jefferson)
189 Lonnie Sharpe (Elkins)
215 Zebuhr (Buc-Up)
275 Zach Kerns (Elkns)

Team Top 10
1) North Marion
2) Huntington
3) Cabell - Midland
4) Parkersburg South
5) Fairmont Sr.
6) Parkersburg
7) John Marshall
8) Wheeling Park
9) Buckannon-Upshur
10) Jefferson

January 19, 1998
email: Berry@citynet.net
comments: Parkersburg Cougar placewinners at the Tulsa Nationals!!!
Matt Stevens....Champion
Clayton Samples...2nd place
Chance Litton...4th place

January 18, 1998
comments: Comments on the Tri at Parkersburg South this past Saturday:
Was truly a pleasure to get to witness some of the outstanding wrestling that was on tap between Parkersburg South, Cameron, and Canon Mac. There truly were some classic battles that went on in that gym Saturday. Was especially impressed with the display by one of our state's smallest A schools, Cameron, who trailed our South team by a score of 40-33 going into the Hwt match. Was impressed by the display several of the boys on that squad. Their 103, 130, 189, and 215 pounders could be serious contenders in Febuary. As far as South goes, I think another championship team is in the brewing. The officiating left a lot to be desired.

January 18, 1998
email: newberar@Prodigy.com
comments: Back from Fairmont. More Bleacher Sores. Great Wrestling! My compliments to the Marion County folks for an outstanding Tournament! Congratulations to all the winners. I am convinced that we are in store for some truly great wrestling in the month of February in the Great State of West Virginia! A couple of observations: I would like to commend a few Wrestlers for some real entertaining wrestling and some great "off the mat" encouraging behavior. Nick Hedrick, Mike Hosaflook, and J.D.Kirby, you guys are some good sportsmanship heros. I enjoy watching you wrestle and you can carry on some real conversation with us "Old Folks". Keep up the great attitudes and you will go far in life. I also have enjoyed watching a couple of coaches at work: Fairmont Senior and Hedgesville both are producing some outstanding Wrestlers and seem to really be having a good time out there! I have to congratulate my son Joel again for another great tournament win, and Matt George as well! Good Job guys! Finally, congratulations to the Big Reds of Parkersburg for really putting together a competitive program this year! Good Luck!

January 18, 1998
comments: The undefeated wrestlers remaining after wrestling in the Winners Choice:
103 Jim Shetler Hedgesville 19-0
130 Adam Gorby North Marion 27-0
171 Ryan Zombro Jefferson 34-0

Previously undefeated wrestlers who lost at Winners Choice:
112 Anthony Regalbuto Hedgesville
112 Beau Hill Point Pleasant
119 Jeremy Burris Point Pleasant
152 Mike Fiorvanti St Anthony's, NY
215 Adam King Ripley

January 18, 1998
comments: To:Red Devil
Congratulations on your third place finish. Your team wrestled well and deserved the place with 129 pts. This, however, just goes to show you how close some of the teams in the state are. Petersburg had 120 1/2 pts, but finished behind 3 or 4 other teams. As always a few key wins in certain matches and it could have been Petersburg or Independence or Grafton or a number of teams in 3rd place, behind clearly dominent Roane Co. and Wirt Co. Also Petersburg had a bit of bad luck the week before Braxton, with their 130 out most likely for the rest of the year with a broken clavicle and their 125 out for 2-3 weeks with a broken wrist. We hope they get well quickly as they could have been the determining factors for Petersburg this year.

January 18, 1998
comments: I would like to congratulate each individual champion from the Big Sixteen tournament. The best match by far had to be between the two state champions Jason Miller of Wirt and Josh Craddock of Roane. You can never underestimate the heart of a champion. That was proven in that match. Miller was ahead all through it, but Craddock came back with under a minute to go ahead. With less than 20 seconds to got, Miller hit a reversal to win it. That proves the point, that it isn't over until its over. Great job Jason!

January 18, 1998
email: russell-williams@usa.net
comments: WOW!!! WHAT A GREAT WEBSITE. THANKS TO LEMASTER FROM MILTON MIDDLE FOR LETTING ME KNOW ABOUT THIS. I JUST WANT TO INPUT SOME ATTA BOYS FROM THIS SEASONS MIDDLE/JR HIGH TOURNAMENTS. HATS OFF TO BERGER OF MILTON'S PARENTS. BOTH CERTIFIED EMTS THEY HAVE ALWAYS GONE OUT THEIR WAY TO ASSIST ANYONE WHO NEEDS IT, REGARDLESS OF TEAM. LEST ANYONE THINK I'M PUSHING MILTON I AM A CAMMACK PARENT. SPORTSMANSHIP BY THE ATHELETES THEMSELVES IS SOMETHING FOR WHICH THEY DESERVE RECOGNITON. HAVING TRAVERSED MANY SEASONS AND SPORTS WITH MY SON IT IS TRULY INSPIRING TO SEE KIDS BUILD AND MAINTAIN FRIENDSHIPS AND RESPECT WITH EACH OTHER ACROSS ALL BOUNDARIES EVEN WITH IN THEIR OWN WEIGHT CLASS. TO SEE THEM ENCOURAGE AND SUPPORT EACH OTHER THROUGH VICTORY AND DEFEAT IS A LESSON FOR ALL OF US TO APSIRE TO MEET. PARENTS OFTEN GET OUT OF CONTROL OVER CLOSE CALLS (I HAVE BEEN GUILTY MYSELF!) AND ON-GOING RIVALRIES. WE NEED TO REMEMBER THIS IS OUR CHILDREN'S ARENA-NOT OURS AND PRESENT THEM WITH THE PROPER EXAMPLE. FROM THE EXAMPLES I'VE SEEN THIS YEAR OUR FUTURE LOOKS VERY BRIGHT WITH THE UP COMING CLASS OF CLASS ACT YOUNG MEN.

January 18, 1998
comments: This forum reply addresses Lemasters comments of female wrestlers. I have all the respect in the world for any female that can get through a season. Of course I have the same respect for any male that can get through a season. Anyone that denies the fact the male gender is stronger physically is either stupid or promoting an agenda. As always, exceptions exist. Combine that with technical skills and you have a winner on the wrestling mat. The crotch technique seems to present a problem, doesn't it? I don't know about anyone else, but I distinctly remember the first time as a sophmore, not so long ago (1970) and riding time still was in effect, an arm held by the top man via the crotch was effective. OUCH! Look, if a girl wants to come out for wrestling, God Bless Them! Unlike football, with people to protect certain positions, wrestling is one and one. Other than dressing room accomodations, wreslting is an individua'ls choice. I defy anyone to say wrestling doesn't build character and disipline. OK, start a womens division, if they choose to jump into the mens, so be it. They know what they are getting into just like a male. And for the liberal minded, create a platform, hidden agenda people, stay the HELL out of our sport. GO GETTEM LADIES! Wrestling is one thing that does not discriminate in any fashion. Great web site, by the way.

January 18, 1998
Congratulations and thanks are in order to the managment of the Winner's Choice Invitational for their fine hospitality and and excellent tournament this weekend. (They don't call Fairmont the "friendly city" for nothing). Unfortuantely, responsibilities with my "day job" only allowed me to attend the finals, but everything seemed to be running with the usual precision.

Skeeter Delligatti (and his wife whose name I should know but I don't and I'm probably in deep trouble now) used some new computer software to keep track of the tourney -- The Wrestling Tourney 6.0 from Preferred Educational Software. This software made it a snap to get the tourney results on the website. I brought along a 3.5" floppy, and at the end of the tourney Skeeter copied the results onto my disk (took about 2-3 minutes). Then with disk in hand, back to Kingwood and all the results were on the website in a matter of minutes as a simple copy-cut-paste operation with a minimum of re-formatting. Highly recommended. This software does almost everything you would expect it to, and the updated version allows one to print to either a .txt file suitable for copy or electronic transfer or a .htm file (essentially a text file with html tags added in the appropriate places). I've been tinkering with this software myself, and plan on using it next month. I used their earlier dos version last year, and some boot-leg software the year before, and this is the best I've seen. One caveat with tournament software (and the software manufacturers freely point this out) -- You must have your brackets and seeding set before you start, otherwise you are asking for trouble. In my experience, you must make sure that you have time after the coaches meeting (when the brackets always get changed) to get everything straightened out on the computer before you start the tournament. What experience have others had, good or bad, with tournament software?

January 18, 1998
comments: To W. Virginia wrestling fan, are there any upcoming pee wee tourneys in Feb. or on the weekends near Hunington area or a 30 mile radius?

January 18, 1998
comments: I JUST HAVE SOME PREDICTIONS FOR AAA STATE CHAMPIONS
103-----SHETLER--HEDGESVILLE
112-----BONASSO--FAIRMONT SENIOR
119-----GEORGE--PARKERSBURG
125-----NEWBERRY--PARKERSBURG
130-----GORBY--NORTH MARION
135----CINALLI-- FAIRMONT SENIOR
140-----HEDRICK--FAIRMONT SENOIR
145-----JOHNSON--SOUTH
152-----WARD--MIDLAND
160-----BESIDICH-- NORTH MARION
171-----ZOMBRO--JEFFERSON
189-----CONAWAY--NORTH MARION
215-----ZEBUHR-----BUCKHANON
HWT-----KERNS--ELKINS

January 18, 1998
comments: I wanted two put in my two cents worth in on the question about female wrestlers. As a middle school coach, I have had 4 females over the years and presently have a 145 pounder. There are several others I know of (Braxton Co. has 2, McKinley Jr. (St.Albans) has one and at the Andrew Jackson tournament today I saw a few more I think from East Greenbrier. I have had experience both coaching the young ladies and against them. This presents some unique problems for coaches and wrestlers alike. For example, how does one execute a crotch tilt gracefully, etc. I also makes weigh ins more complicated, etc. The young lady I have now has all the heart in the world and even though she has not won many matches (she does have 3 pins and a few other wins) she works hard in practice and never complains. I must admit that I would prefer that there be separate teams and I would not choose that my daughter be an intergender wrestler -- the fact is that if they come out we have to deal with it. What I have a problem with is if a guy suddenly decided to try out for volleyball there would be cries of Unfair! from the feminists, yet Title IX is threatening to bring about the end of our sport at the college level. One possible strategy being used is the establishment of womens college teams. Go to Intermat and The Mat from the links on this site to find out more.

In summary, as coaches, we can't legally say no, so until things change, we will have to deal with it. I think at the Pee Wee level, it's OK to introduce the girls to the sport in mixed matches, but I would like to see girls club teams started and perhaps girls teams at the middle school level.

January 18, 1998
comments: TO MACHO MAN AND PANTHER
RIPLEY 160 got tec fall in FAIRMONT by North Marion. No champs for Ripley in Fairmont.

January 18, 1998
comments: To: Observationalist and his supporter
Have you changed your mind about where Petersburg should be ranked with regards to Calhoun? Our 3rd place finish at Braxton, behind only Roane and Wirt, proves where this team should be ranked. Not only did we finish ahead of Petersburg, we also finished ahead of tough teams like Grafton, Independence, and Winfield. It's true that you beat us in a dual but we proved too much for you in a tournament. Other teams that beat us in a dual this year include Nicholas Co., Ravenswood, and Sissonville, but we also defeated these teams at Braxton.

January 18, 1998
comments: To: Jim, Could you give details of the big 30 team jr. high tournament at Andrew Jackson? How many participated? How many boy and girls? Was it well attended? Also, is there another big tournament next week for junior high. Finally, where is the junior high state championship for West Virginia?

January 17, 1998
email: tlpowers@westco.net
comments: This is for John Marshall's wrestling team. I just want to say how great it was to see the sportsmanship and concern of the wrestlers on 1-14-98. When Gray (JM) was wrestling Padovini(M) and the match was ended due to Padovini's injury. John Marshall's wrestlers came over during hand shakes and wished him well and shook his hand, while he was still down on the mat. This is what high school sports is all about. Thanks.
Coach Powers
MHS

January 17, 1998
comments: I would just like to say that I agree with enthusiast in regards to females wrestling. As a female and a wrestling fan, I can say that wrestling among boys should be just for boys. I think that there are tons of great sports out there that you can get your daughter interested in, so why choose wrestling? I think that girl wrestlers put the guy wrestlers in a tough position. In my experiences, I have noticed that even the experienced "good" wrestlers feel extremely uncomfortable with the posibility of wrestling against females, not because they are afraid of losing (which is what most feminists say) but because they are true gentlemen.

January 16, 1998
comments: In regards to "near fall"'s question; I do not think wrestling would be a good sport for your daughter. I hate to sound sexist but I believe men should be men and ladies should remain ladies. Wrestling by nature is a very masculine sport. By no means am I saying that a girl could not be successful in our sport, I just believe that your daughter and the sport of wrestling as a whole would be better off with just one gender participating.

January 16, 1998
email: josevjhs@yahoo.com
comments: My dad is the asst. somewhat head coach of the Wirt High wreslting team. Wirt's wrestling team is probably one of the best they've had in a while, and no one should worry, because every thing will be fine, for the LKC and the rest of the season.

January 16, 1998
comments: Huntington High edged Cabell Midland by the score of 39-32. As for the rivalry the last match decided the winner.

January 16, 1998
email: bu118@ovnet.com
comments: To: Mr. Southwood & CSargent
Professional Wrestling is a great business. Many of these athletes worked their way to it via High School and College Wrestling, Body- building, and Powerlifting. With the exceptions of the wanna-be stars they are indeed athletes. Any comparison or ridicule of its marketing or alliance with folk, freestyle, or greco makes no sense. It is apples and oranges. Wait, they are both fruits!!??? Come on guys, loosin' up, it's sports entertainment. Not that any of us have seen fans at a high school or youth tournament acting like a professional wrestling fan, right? I am proud having done both and now having sons in the sport I love.
Nick Busick
AKA
Big Bully Busick
WWF
Retired 1992

January 15, 1998
comments: To Mat Fan regarding thr Andrew Jackson Tournament.
Wrestling is supposed to start at 6:00. Weigh ins are 3:30 till 5:00 Coaches meeting at 5:00. With 30 teams and limited mat space, it will last a l--o--n--g time. Last year my heavyweight wrestled after midnight on Friday and we had to be back early on Saturday. Should be a good one though. The best middle school team I have seen this year is Pt. Pleasant. The are solid top to bottom, very well coached and just a class act in general. The best Jr. High I have seen is McKinley. They have some outstanding little guys particularly Janson Arnold and Rob Ripley. If you come to the match watch these two kids from McKinley. (they are AAU national champs) also worth a look are Chris Gibbs from Barboursville, Barrett and Williams from Cammack. Justin Stanley at 83 from Midland Freshman team is an excellent wrestler and John Webb at 155 is a future high school star in my opinion (also McKinley). Lastly, my 165 pounder, Frazier, (Milton Middle) is unbeaten at 165, 215 and HWT. I have put him in all three places to get him matches. Oops I forget Jason Mayes of Enslow at 123 who should have a heck of a match with Wesley Lane . It should be a good tournament to watch! Too many others to mention - See Ya there!

January 15, 1998
comments: Could anybody give me information about WV junior high wrestling??? Just how popular is it? Is there a big tournament at Andrew Jackson middle schools? Are there any female junior high wrestlers? Is it a good sport for possibly my daughter??? Any thoughts...thanks

January 15, 1998
email: CSARGENT98@Prodigy.net
comments: To Mr. Southwood
This website is a WV Wrestling website. It says nothing about that fake WWF or NWO or anything else. This wrestling is for REAL!!!

January 15, 1998
comments: I enjoy this website and find it in good spirit of competition and believe the editor does a tremendous job at censoring the material that comes across. But I do not appreciate the ill humor at trying to use Bible verses for something they are not meant to be. John 3:16 says "That God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son. That whosever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life.". Austin 3:16 is from a professional wrestler that goes by Stone Cold Steve Austin which states "I just kicked your a--!". I find this in poor taste , disrespectful and insulting to not only to Christians and their heritage, but also to God. Please don't let this website sink to the level of Professional Wrestling. Anybody wanting to use a professional wrestler's mongram is fine, but please don't take a slam on God's Holy Word. Let's keep a reverent attitude towards the scriptures. I find no humor in Austin 3:16 being a spin-off of John 3:16 or any other (fill in the blank) ______ 3:16.
Editor's note: Hmmmm. We are pretty easy to get along with and the the last thing we want to do is cause offense. Our friend Homer has some strong feelings regarding the "3:16" tag which seems to be popping up everywhere and I respect his views on the subject. However, lets not get into a theological debate here - there are other websites for this purpose. Shoot, someone told me that 3:16 referred to match time, i.e., "Smith pinned Austin 3:16." (smile).

January 15, 1998
comments: If we would just wrestle whoever or whatever would step on the mat in front of us than we would not have all of this confusion. In other words quit worrying and complaining and just wrestle.

January 15, 1998
comments: No one can stop him (Mark Lowe) . Well, he just came to a stop sign. Because that's the bottom line. Because Stone Cold said so!
SUPER STUD

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated December 9, 1997