West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 2000 Forum (Part Four)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 18, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Eastern Panhandle powerhouses Hedgesville (20-0) and Harpers Ferry (30-0) who are both ranked 2nd in the state in their respective high school and junior high school divisions. Go "Big East" Panhandle!

January 18, 2000
comments: The Cameron Dragons are looking tough and are ready for the O.V.A.C tour. this week. They all hit the brackets pretty good. They are all looking good exspecially 130# Roger Kupfer he is undefeded and looking good. The 145# Jeff Hughes is looking real promising as while. But like I said all the dragons are looking good so look out. THE DRAGONS ARE BREATHING FIRE!!!!!!

January 18, 2000
email: curreyml@wirefire.com
comments: These millenium teams seem a little stilted toward the 90's. At least someone remembered Ken Chertow. 100-2 career record (I think). started at Penn State as a Freshman. How many other WV wrestlers have started at a premier Division I program? Right there is your all-time best wrestler from WV. Mike Mason would rank a solid second in my opinion with little arguement.

Also what about Mike Lantz anyone remember him? Look up his record. Went on to start at Division I and qualified for Nationals. I'm sure there are some others I am forgetting. Who else has went on and started at a Division I school? Doug Rexroad for WVU in the 80s.

A lot of wrestlers have great high school careers but how many have been successful at the next level? I would welcome any thoughts anyone else has.

Also wouldn't it be great if a poll could be put together on this site. Give top 3-4 at each weight class and list their accomplishments so that those who wrestled more than 5-6 years ago could get some recognition. There was no WVMat website back then.

January 18, 2000
Coach X Wrestler
comments: To Rule Book Reader:
This is why I love this website so much. It creates a way to voice opinions about one of the greatest sports in the history of man. I just wish I could get this point across to Rule Book Reader on the mat rather than on the web.
LESSON 1 CROSSFACE- do not slam your forearm into the opponents head. With Fist in a closed position run your hand across the bridge of your oppnents nose to get him to look into his knee. If he wont look- create more pressure (which equals legal pain) on nose with forearm- he looks- take the crossface craddle.
LESSON 2 ARMBAR- turn opponents hand so it is up while grasping the wrist - plant forehead in the armpit-shoulder area. This creates pressure (legal pain). Your opponent has to decide wether to look away or fight the pressure. If the pressure is to much he looks away- jump and shoot the half. If he thinks he is a stud he will fight the pain - then lift arm across your chest walk to his head which creates more pressure (legal pain)and he turns. There is absolutely nothing illegal about either one of these high percentage moves. But they are totally painfull if your are caught with one.

As for the forfeits- thats exactly what I mean when I say our society is training whining brats that cant stand to work hard and take the hard knocks of a sport that teches more lessons about life than anything I know. As I said earlier we can not afford to water our sport down because it will take away what makes wrestling very unique.

As for Jacob I think you (Rule book Reader) can learn a lesson from your own writing. JACOB DID NOT GIVE UP - HE KEPT WRESTLING EVEN THOUGH HE WAS IN GREAT PAIN and he got what he wanted from God. Jacob wanted Gods blessing and he got it. What a great lesson - fight through the pain and you will be blessed.

Good luck to every wrestler out there busting his butt. Sweating bleeding stiving for his goals and not whining about how hard and painful wrestling really is.

January 18, 2000
email: junkins@ab.edu
comments: Here's my All Star team of the 90's:
103- Ash Wenmoth Williamstown. 2x SC. 98-
runnerup- Scott Williams Will. SC 1991

112- Chad Burge Cameron. 3x SC. 92-94.
runnerup- Ed Neely Madonna. SC 1990

119- Danny Life Wirt. 2xSC. 93-94.

125- David Drennen Wirt. 3x SC. 96-98.
runnerup- Oram Butler St Marys. 2xSC. 90-91.

130- RC Anderson Cameron. 4xSC. 89-92

135- Mike Mason Will-town. 3xSC. 91-93.
runnerup- Buddy McKeen Grafton. 2xSC. 97-98.

140- Mike Miller Wirt. 4xSC. 95-99.
runnerup- Donny Hickman Wirt. 2xSC. 90-91.

145- Denny LeBec Oak Glen. 2xSC. 97-98.

152- Mike Shepard Wirt. 2xSC. 92-93.

160- H.L. Parsons Winfield. 2xSC.93-94.

171- Steve Kinley LIberty Ral. 2xSC. 98-99.

189- Mike Payne Berk.Sprgs. 2xSC. 94-95.
runnerup- Matt Canady Berk.Sprngs. 2xSC. 91-92.

215- Laramie Richmond Meadow Br. SC. 96.
runnerups- Benji Parsons Sissonville. SC.97
Dan Lahman Petersburg. SC 98

275- Steve Moore Williamstown. 2xSC. 90-91.
runnerup- Josh Waugh Berkeley Sprgs. SC. 97.

Team of the Decade: Cameron
runnerup- Oak Glen

January 18, 2000
comments: The reason Jimmy Johnson didn't wrestle at Braxton is because he had strept throat.

January 18, 2000
comments: joey thomas from huntington is good. matt miller already pinned him in the second period with the guilotine. good luck to him and anyone else who thinks they can defeat champ

January 18, 2000
email: daran158@aol.com
comments: hey this is daran hays i had to miss a few weeks cause i broke a thumb at wheeling. but i should be back soon. who is it that ask about me glad to see someone noticed the "freshman" hasn't been wrestling

January 18, 2000
comments: How can you have an all Century team without Anthony Regalbuto the best wrestler in the history of the state or Robert Jarrett Greco-Roman national champion.

January 18, 2000
email: bu118@ovnet.com
comments: Who ever posted about the Ruff Rider showing .... I agree! Those who know me know I always post with my name. It only gives creditabiltiy to the one posting. The kids did an excellant job for a first year team with many first year wrestlers recruitted from the Weirton Steelers Football Youth Football League Champions. Personally many thanks to the parents coaches and efforts of Mike Nogay Albert Magnone Darin Heavilin and needless to say head coach Weir High Coach Frank Crain. Kinda makes you wonder what would happen if Hancock County Consiladated? OK then again I got a nine year old coming up ... GOD willing. Heck I gotta get through OVACS and States yet ... LOL

Speaking of OVACS .... 215 where will it wind up? Busick looses to Jones (Big Red) in OT last year and this year (OT) at Domino's. Ochap beats Busick by one loosing twice to Busick last year. Ochap looses to Jones at Dominos ...... Jones @ OVACs seat 1 ... Ochap seated 2 .... Busick seated 3. Six (OG)could be upsetting many. One heck of a battle with several gunning for the above.

Special good luck to Ochap who I (as a father) have come to know much like my son's previous batter. Buck Kupfner. Man these guys are the best being Gentlemen and Atheletes. I can only wish my sons and the kids mentioned be able to experience the same in competition and class

Same thing to all the kids in the sport!

A sincere thanks for this web site and the information it has provided throughout the years. A site promoting WV wrestling!

January 18, 2000
comments: West Virginia All-Century Team

103  Dewitt Stanley           Brooke
112  Robbie Shank             Parkersburg S.
119  Ken Chertow              Huntington    
125  Anthony Regalbuto        Hedgesville
130  Ryan Mulrew              John Marshall
135  Mike Mason               Williamstown
140  Doug Moore               North Marion
145  Jason Johnson            Parkersburg S.
152  John Jackson             Jefferson
160  Andy Wilfong             Fairmont Sr.
171  Robert Jarrett           Hedgesville
189  Ryan Courtney            Fairmont Sr.
215  Mike Sharpe              Parkersburg S.
HWT. Josh Waugh               Berkeley Springs

January 18, 2000
comments: Hey - I just wanted to say way to go MOUNDSVILLE JUNIOR HIGH for an awesome season! We're 3rd in the state and you guys worked to get us there. I had a great time being a manager and you guys made it even better. WAY TO GO!!!

January 18, 2000
comments: Why didn't Jimmy Johnson wrestle at Braxton???

January 18, 2000
email: smittyc_69@hotmail.com
comments: My WV HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS OF THE MILLENIUM PICKS. AA

103  MIKE MILLER  WIRT     96   4X STATE CHAMP
112  CHAD BURGE   CAMERON  94   3X STATE CHAMP
119  DANNY LIFE   WIRT     95   2X STATE CHAMP
125  JEREMY HART  INDY     96   2X STATE CHAMP
130  RC ANDERSON       CAMERON    91   4X STATE CHAMP
135  BUDDY MCKEEN      GRAFTON    96   2X STATE CHAMP
140  MIKE MASON        WIL-TOWN   93   3X STATE CHAMP
145  JOSH GIOVINGO     BD         96   STATE CHAMP 46-0
152  MIKE SHEPERD      WIRT       92   2X STATE CHAMP
160  DAVID DRENNON     WIRT       98   3X STATE CHAMP
171  STEPHEN KINLEY    LIBERTY    99   2X STATE CHAMP
189  MIKE PAYNE        B-SPRINGS  95   2X STATE CHAMP
215  LARAMIE RICHMOND  M-BRIDGE   96   STATE CHAMP 40-0
275  JOSH WAUGH        B-SPRINGS  97   STATE CHAMP 48-0
COACH OF THE MILLENNIUM: JIM POTTS CAMERON
WRESTLER OF THE MILLENNIUM: MIKE MASON 3X STATE CHAMP 2X NCAA ALL AMERICAN 7TH 97 3RD 98

January 18, 2000
comments: anyone know what happened to Daran Hayes from North Marion (125)?

January 18, 2000
comments: Here is a better version of the top wrestlers of 90's
103 Steve Higgins PHS 91
112 Ash Wenmoth Williamstown 99
119 Dave Fleming PHS 92
125 James Branch Huntington 92
130 Ryan Muldrew John Marshall 97
135 Doug Moore North Marion 92
140 Mike Mason Williamstown 93
145 Jay Michael North Marion 91
152 Mark Samples George Washington 94
160 Mike Viani Fairmont Senior 95
171 Robert Jarrett Hedgesville 90
189 Robert Davidson Wheeling Park 96
215 Mike Sharpe South 97
275 Josh Waugh Berkely Springs 97

January 18, 2000
comments: hey gatekeeper it seems that you really didnt think it through when you picked your so called "dream team". doug moore jay michael jason ward adam gorby and many others. Randy Stout never even wrestled in 97 he wrestled part of the year so i think ya need to re think your pick.

January 18, 2000
comments: To rule book reader You are getting a little carried away. Tape to cause pain in a crossface. Come on! All I can say is come to my practice room and I will demonstrate a LEGAL crossface and a LEGAL bar which will have an element of pain.

January 18, 2000
comments: Weirton's newly formed Ruff Rider youth wrestling team took 14 wrestlers to the Trinity Hiller Classic Tournament in Washington Pa. this weekend and placed 12 grapplers! Youth teams from McGuffey (Pa) Cameron (WV) Brooke and other squads competed. Taking first for the Weir Ruff Riders were: Lou Comis 7-8 75# novice;Dan Marshall 7-8 60#novice; Wes Barnes 9-10 60# novice;Andrew Colvin 7-8 50# novice; Ed Nogay 7-8 50# advanced; and Max Nogay 7-8 53# advanced. This was the team's first outing together and the boys really enjoyed the camraderie.

January 18, 2000
comments: To Chirs Basford
Logan is AAA

January 18, 2000
comments: Hey does anyone think the Gatekeeper is living in a "DREAM" WORLD?? Have you ever heard of Moore Mason Tuttle Rexroad Crane Ect.?
And just one additional comment to the Rule book reader or whatever you call yourself. If a pinning combination (not a tilt) did not cause pain would you turn? If you really think about it it is not actually the move that causes the pain it is the resistance to the move. If you did'nt resist(roll over) there would be no pain (not to mention you never winning a match). Quality pinning combinations create more pain pressure and torque than most wrestlers can withstand (resist) that is why they get turned! Therefore the more pain pressure and torque a move creates (legally) the more effective it is. By the way "rule book reader" have you ever wrestled?

January 18, 2000
comments: About your comment on the wrestler who you think will not be returing. Maybe you should examine your sources. I believe I know who you are referring to and I believe he will be back and in the finals at states!!!

January 18, 2000
comments: To Chris Basford. Ben Taylor? placed 3rd at the Big 16. That mean that Ritter from Braxton as well as Cliver from Clay placed above him! I think you need to use a little more judgement in picking you state champs! I mean what is wrote on here is what it is worth NOTHING! The real meaning comes on the mats. This does not only go to Chris but to everyone who makes picks!

January 18, 2000
comments: Congratulations to South on their win at the Winner's choice tournament this past weekend. Everyone looked really strong. Keep up the good work guys! I want to send a special congrats to Clint Radcliff! Good luck this weekend at the WSAZ!

January 18, 2000
comments: I like what you have done in rankning the JrHigh/Middle school teams and the wrestlers.I think it gives the wrestlers something to wrestle for.Keep up the good work!

January 18, 2000
comments: I believe Gatekeeper meant Jason Conaway at 189 "98" in the dream team. Randy Stout was a JV wrestler at North Marion

January 18, 2000
comments: WHO'S THE FAVORITES FOR TEAM / IND. FOR W.S.A.Z. WHAT JR HIGH TEAMS ARE IN IT?

January 18, 2000
comments: I think you are definetely from FSHS because everyone you picked was from around there. All were great wresters but I dont know if they would all deserve to be on there I dont thik that Hedrick should be wrestler of the century. Just my opinions.

January 18, 2000
email: Basford2@hotmail.com
comments: I was wondering if anyone has seen Shady Springs in action this season if so could you contact me. There is a senior this season by the name of Sam Lilly who could very well be a state champion this season but that remains to be seen. Is Sam wrestling this season? Also any Logan County people who know how their kids are doing let me know so I can possibly give them some recognition in my next picks. I would also like to add that there is a certain wrestler who might not be returning this season who finally realized that he isn't the same wrestler he was two seasons ago when he won his second state title. Reality set in that if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Right now I think that this individual is not wanting to wrestle the best. "Champion Dreams come to Champion Training." Maybe this certain wrestler will realize that and wrestle his best and accept what he gets. You only get out what you put out in this sport!

January 18, 2000
OK, here are some more comments on the subject of pain in wrestling to Coach X wrestler and others. How can a legal crossface cause pain? I know some wrestlers who will slam their forearm across the nose putting in a crossface - but that is a forearm shot to the face, not a crossface; some wrestlers will tape their hand and thumb with coarse adhesive tape and leave an edge up and use the tape to scrape across someones nose in an attempt to scuff up the face - but this doesn't help to put someone on his back. Arm bars hurt when the shoulder is forced beyond its normal range of motion. I contend that a legally applied arm-bar doesn't cause any pain (no more than a legal block or a legal tackle in football) and is effective. In football, clipping and facemasking are illegal for good reason. So why in wrestling do we think that trying to dislocate someone's shoulder is a good thing?

I used to coach a kids team. Everytime we would practice arm bars, the kids would whine and complain and some would even cry. I said "what's the matter with you guys - you gotta learn this." They said "arm bars hurt too much." I then paid attention to how they were doing them. Without fail, they were letting their arm bars get illegal - letting them turn in to illegal chicken wings or extending the shoulder past its normal range of motion. I then emphazised that the most important aspect of arm bars is to keep them legal. Wrap between elbow and shoulder, rib to rib, elbow to hip, keeping the shoulder in anatomic position. They learned the technique and the whining stopped.

I have seen kids give up the sport because they got their shoulders wrenched. I've seen parents take their kids out of wrestling because of multiple episodes of wrenched shoulders and stuff. Or getting the air knocked out of him with a Cowboy which in reality was a slam. I suppose that if a coach finds too many kids in the practice room, then he can use the pain factor to thin the team. I don't see that as being the problem though. Look at the dual meet results on this website. It is rare to find a dual meet where both teams fielded a full squad. Many (most, the majority) of dual meets are not "parades of champions" but rather "parades of forfeits." Whichever coach can find enough warm bodies to take the forfeit wins the dual.

I agree that wrestling is and should be a tough sport. The way it is going now, it will soon be a dead sport unless we can figure out why kids would rather play basketball.

As for Jacob, his thigh was dislocated but he continued the match. The only way to dislocate a thigh is to force it past its normal range of motion - an illegal hold. If Jacob had been unable to continue, he would have won the match. As it turned out, he continued wrestling anyway and still prevailed.

January 18, 2000
comments: Good luck to #1 ranked Blennerhasset Jr High at the WSAZ tournament. Special luck to 83lbs Felix Osuna Cotto. GO BOBCATS!

January 18, 2000
comments: When are the INDIVIDUAL RANKINGS going to come out. Congrats to the INDEPENDENCE PATRIOTS good job at JACKSON and BRAXTON and look out for INDY at WSAZ. Coach GILSON is a heck of a coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 18, 2000
comments: hey GATEKEEPER where does 4 time state champ doug moore fit into your predictions also what about jay michael

January 18, 2000
comments: Hey gatekeeper would you by any chance be a FSHS fan??? DUH!!!

January 18, 2000
comments: WAY TO GO PARKERSBURG SOUTH PATRIOTS!!!!! YOU REALLY SHOWED YOUR STUFF AT FAIRMONT THIS PAST WEEK-END. NOT ONLY FIRST PLACE WINNERS BUT QUITE A MARGIN BETWEEN YOU GUYS AND SECOND PLACE. KEEP WORKING HARD AND REMAIN DEDICATED TO THE SPORT. YOU ARE REALLY A GREAT TEAM BUT REMEMBER WINNING MEANS STAYING FOCUSED ON THE ROAD AHEAD. GO TO WSAZ WITH THE SAME DETERMINATION AS IN THE PAST AND YOU WILL COME OUT ON TOP!! GO PATRIOTS!!! Special congradulations to all those who placed Nathan Pickens Clint Radcliff the Bosleys the Daggetts and all the rest of our team.

January 18, 2000
comments: Is it just me or does anyone else think that the over all level of competition is down this year? I've seen more forfeits this year than I saw in the last two year. If u agree or disagree with me post your opinions on the form. Thanks. I especially like to hear what ex wrestler have to say.

January 18, 2000
comments: when can we see new jenny sullivan column..is she attending and writing story on upcoming wzaz tourney? thanks

January 18, 2000
comments: i would like to congratulate buchannon for a strong finish at the winners choice. trent casto way to go!!!!!!!!!!! with the big 3rd place finnish. keep up the good work! n.c.a.c champ in the making. we are all behind you make us proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 18, 2000
HERE IS MY PREDICTION FOR THE ALL WEST VIRGINIA DREAM TEAM
103: DAN BONASSO FSHS '97
112: DAN BONASSO FSHS '98
119: DUSTIN COLLINS P SOUTH '96
125: JARED WALTER CAB MIDLAND '99
130: RASSAN BATES FSHS '94
135: CHRIS WILSON PRESTON '98
140: NICK HEDRICK FSHS '98
145: MIKE VIANI FSHS '95
152: MARK SAMPLE GW '96
160: DALLAS NIBERT CAB MIDLAND '97
171: JASON CLARKE LEWIS COUNTY '96
189: RANDY STOUT NORTH MARION '97
215: MATT CORDER PHILLIP BARBER '99
HWT: RICH PHEASANT EAST FAIRMONT '95

WEST VIRGINIA WRESTLER OF THE CENTURY: NICHOLAS DEAN HEDRICK FSHS
WV WRESTLER OF THE DECADE: DEWITT STANELY BROOKE '97
WV COACH OF THE CENTURY: COACH MARK DELLIGATTI FSHS '96
Editor's note: All millineum team???? Now there's a topic we could sink our teeth in to....

January 18, 2000
comments: This is exactly what the web should be like: A page totally devoted to an amateur endeavor simply for the love of the sport. This page works so well because the people who create it maintain it and read it are all passionate about the same thing - wrestling. In addition there are alot of people in WV who care alot about this sport. However I can't help but wonder how the webmaster can resist keeping advertising off this site. I have no feeling one way or the other on the subject of advertising; however with 1.6 million hits in 2 or 3 years - the amount of revenue this page could generate could be significant. Just a thought. I wonder how others would feel about that.
Editor's note: Funny you should ask about selling advertising. Last week, for the first time, I got an inquiry from someone wanting to BUY ADVERTISING on this site. I don't sell advertising because...
1) Then I gotta report it to the IRS, pay tax, etc. The additional complication and paperwork to file the tax, etc, is not worth the effort (at this point)
2) The only way this website works is if EVERYONE contributes - Coaches, mat stats, parents, fans, etc. They don't get paid to submit info to this site, so why should I??
3) I don't want anyone to get the false impression that when they take time to submit info to the site that it is somehow putting money in my pocket. As long as we are all making the same salary ($0.00), then there is no room to complain (smile).

January 18, 2000
email: tarasuemccartney@hotmail.com
comments: Just a quick note of congratualtions to the Parkersburg South Wrestling Team. I happen to know that they work very hard to achieve the level of success that they so often do. Because my brother wrestles and my dad coaches I know how much time and energy each wrestler puts into each practice in order to make the weight be in the shape and know the skills and techniques that it takes to be a champion. I respect all wrestlers South or where ever but I am especially proud of South my little brother and my dad. So congratulations guys and good luck with the rest of your season!

January 18, 2000
CONGRATS TO JUSTIN BOYDEN,128, BECKLEY-STRATTON, VOTED MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER AT ANDREW JACKSON

January 18, 2000
comments: To E.P.:
It is correct that Harpers Ferry only beat Charles Town by 7 points. Allow me to comment that Charles Town has 850 students and Harpers Ferry 425 yet you have only 15 wrestlers to Harpers Ferry's 40+. You point out that you had to forfeit 3 weight classes (75, 83, and HWT--filled rather nicely by HF wrestlers with 20-5 25-4 and 27-1 records). I observe that your usual 190 lb. contestant dropped down to wrestle 165, thus avoiding our usual 190 lb contestant who only weighs 165-171 lbs depending on where he has to wrestle. Regarding your schedule -- Who did it? When HF prevailed in the dual meet with Charles town, HF moved to 26-0 while CT "fell" to 1-1. I note that CT has two matches against West Viginia schools (both against HF)...

Your last comment that Harpers Ferry kids don't go on to wrestle at Jefferson High. I can't answer the reason for that because Jefferson has a great program with a lot of CT kids; but maybe the HF boys just plain had fun wrestling at Harpers Ferry (last 4+ years--107 wins 19 losses).

January 18, 2000
comments: Congrats to the E. Panhandle Teams for their strong showing in the Winners Choice. HH is just a little short in a few weight classes or they would be #1 in the State. Jeff. finished 7th with two starters out of the line up M.Burg and Musselman also had respectable showings for a rebuilding year. Yes South is great very balanced got to give it to them for their program. BUT many individuals and teams are closing the gap. Keep up the hard work fellas...

January 18, 2000
comments: I would like to congradulate the Braxton Co. wrestling team on their 1st place finish at their own tourney. This was the first year ever since they have had the Big 16 that they have ever won it. Braxton has an excellant team this year. Congrats.

January 18, 2000
comments: I would like to say what a great show of wrestlers at the Pizza Hut Invitational this weekend. If youy didn't make it you missed two days of very talented wrestlers. Good work to all of the participants and to all the parents who were there to support the boys. Congratulations Braxton County for bringing home first place. Keep up the good work. The firstplace trophy took a lot of hard work and a lot of hard work as a team!!! Good luck at Phillip-Barbour on Thursday guys! You should be very proud to be a Braxton County Eagle. GO EAGLES!!!! The EAGles couldn't have made it this far without the two best coaches in the region.

January 18, 2000
email: curreyml@wirefire.com
comments: When checking the results from duel meets it looks like only about half the A/AA teams have someone at 103. If a region only had 3 wrestlers at a weight class would the state tournament have a bye or a forfeit?
Editor's note: Good question. That happened last year. A vacant spot. Not unusual. How is it scored - bye or forfeit. I forget how they did it.....

January 18, 2000
comments: BECKLEY/STRATTON BULLDOGS PLACE FINISHERS AT ANDREW JACKSON TOURNMENT.
1ST.
75 PND.SEAN MEADE 7TH GRADER
110 PND.JAY THOMAS 8TH GRADER.
128 PND JUSTIN BOYDEN.MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER AWARD.
135 PND.JOSH EVANS 9TH GRADER.

2ND PLACE FINISHERS
JOE MCQULLIAN 8TH GRADER

3RD. PLACE FINISHERS.
83 PND.TYLOR WILSON 7TH GRADER
102 PND.ZACK EVANS 8TH GRADER

4TH PLACE FINISHER
BD FARLEY 9TH GRADER

WAY TO FIGHT GUYS!!!! WORK!WORK!WORK1

January 18, 2000
comments: congratulations south wrestlers!!!!!!!Way to go Matt Bosely

January 18, 2000
comments: CONGRATULATIONS to the Edison Eagles!!!! They are well on their way to becoming the regular season champs!!!! They recently beat the Blennerhassett Bobcats by a 5 point margin. Way to go guys!!! Your hard work is paying off. Edison has a very young team this year and many have underestimated their abilities but after last weeks match up I think it is obviouse that they can be quite a force to reckon with!!! The county tournament should be very interesting. Go Eagles!!!!!!!!! Good luck at WSAZ this week-end keep focused and wrestle hard. Special good luck to Bryce Pickens.

January 17, 2000
Last week there were 7,547 hits to the front page of this website, and 55,654 total hits to all documents on the website. I suppose one could say that there were 7,547 visitors last week who looked at an average of 7.3 pages per visit. The previous record for front page hits was 10,189 during last year's state tournament. We are approaching that already.

So far this season, (since 10/31/99) there have been 51,030 front page hits, and 340,695 total hits.
Since this url was opened 2/9/97 (the first year we had a different url), there have been 269,259 hits to the front page and 1,600,181 total hits to the site. (That's right, over 1.6 million total hits to this website).

January 17, 2000
comments: Congratulations to South Wrestling Team for winning the Winner's Choice over the weekend. They looked very strong. Also I want to congratulate Matt Bosley even though he took second he looks like he is on his way back. You better watch out for 112lb weight class

January 17, 2000
email: bub_103@yahoo.com
comments: Does anybody know when the Rainelle Open tournament is and who do I contact to get a form?

January 17, 2000
email: mcagle1050@aol.com
comments: To: Coach X Wrestler Great comback on the pain discussion. Worded very well. Congrats to WVU for getting C. Kolat as an added assistant coach. Probably the best trio in the nation with Turnbull Jones and Kolat. This is a wrestlers dream to have such technically sound and intense world class wrestlers in one room.
The Winner's Choice was run very well and took a lot of work from hard working volunteers. As a coach from an attending school I was impressed and greatly enjoyed the hospitality.

January 17, 2000
email: south_girl01@hotmail.com
comments: I just wanted to say congradulations to PARKERSBURG SOUTH on a great weekend at the Winners Choice. Good luck this coming weekend at the WSAZ tourny I know you'll do great. Good luck to Ryan Metz the Daggets the Bosleys Pickens and JJ Schmitt. Kick some butt out on the mat.

January 17, 2000
comments: Here are some picks for AA:

103:Zubay (OG)      112:Gandee      119:Brown     125:Wenmouth
Morris (Cal)         Auvil          Sexton        Johnson
Hosey (Rich)          Prater        Sharp         Harris
Biddle (Wil)                        Haddox        Curry

130:Kupfer     135:Childers    140:Prather    145: Schindler
Hayhurst       Lowers          Wood
Leach          Cross           Bosley
Snider         Leach           Lucey
               Jones           Zyla
                               Anderson

152:Litten     160: Snider     171:Nester      189: Kuykendall
Toth           Hardawy         Stotler         Moyer
Holdsworth     O'Neil                          Belville
Smith

215:Six      275:Naylor
             Ritter
             Taylor

January 16, 2000
email: bsspeak@hotmail.com
comments: Where are the results for Braxton Invitational? The tourney did a great job of presenting pre-tourney info which just whets the appetite for the end results.

January 16, 2000
comments: way to go raleigh co. boys!!! great showing atA.J

January 16, 2000
comments: STEP #2 OCCOMPLISHED STEP#3 HARD WORK + TALENT=HARDWARE

January 16, 2000
comments: I JUST WANT TO CONGRADULATE PARKERSBURG SOUTH WRESTLERS FOR THEIR AWESOME JOB AT THE WINNER'S CHOICE. EVERYONE DID AWESOME AND I AM VERY PROUD. I KNOW WE WILL BE JUST AS GOOD AT THE WSAZ THIS COMING WEEKEND AND I JUST WANT TO SAY GOOD LUCK.

January 16, 2000
email: runions@prodigy.net
comments: WOW WAY TO GO SOUTH!!!! GREAT JOB AT THIS WEEKEND AT FAIRMONT. SOUTH JUST LET THE REST OF THE STATE KNOW JUST HOW GOOD THEY REALLY ARE!!!!! WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE SOUTH IS #1 LOOK OUT W.V. HERE COME THE PATRIOTS THIS WAS JUST A TUNE UP FOR THE STATE!!!!!!!(RATS RULE THE MATS) GOOOOOOO SOUTH!!!!!

January 16, 2000
comments: Nice to see the Jr. High Rankings. I think one important school was left off. Charles Town Jr. High. Just FYI Harpers Ferry just beat them by just 7 points and C.T. gave up three weight classes. ??? Worth mentioning. C.T. has had only 3 or 4 9th grade matches so their kids are not tourney ready. Lots of Hype about H.F. too bad H.F. can't seem to get that many kids to wrestle High School for Jefferson might help the program.

January 16, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Beckley-Stratton on a dominating performance at the Andrew Jackson Ironman Tournament. Coach Steve White said he will post full results on WVMAT soon. Here are the team totals to wet your appetites. Thanks to the people at Andrew Jackson for a great weekend of wrestling and a job well done running things ! Good Luck BULLDOGS at the WSAZ Tournament this coming weekend !

1. Beckley-Stratton- 182 1/2
2. Ripley 9th grade- 121 1/2
3. Cabell Midland 9th- 118 1/2
4. Herbert Hoover 9th- 111 1/2
5. Shady Spring- 111
6. Barboursville Middle- 110 1/2
7. Nitro 9th- 100
8. Independence- 93
9. Point Pleasant Middle- 86
10. Riverside- 84
11. Park Jr. High- 79 1/2
12. Ripley Middle- 69 1/2
13. Hayes- 69
14. Beverly Hills- 68 1/2
15. Huntington High 9th- 61 1/2
16. Sissonville- 36
17. John Adams- 32 1/2
18. Point Pleasant 9th- 26
19. Andrew Jackson- 12
20. Enslow- 9

January 16, 2000
comments: I JUST WANNA SAY PARKERSBURG SOUTH KICKED BUTT THIS WEEKEND AT THE WINNER'S CHOICE AND THAT THERE WAS SOME GOOD COMPETITION BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO DEFEAT THE UNDEFEATED. AND I DOUBT THERE WILL EVER BE A TEAM AS TOUGH AS PARKERSBURG SOUTH. I JUST WANT TO SAY CONGRADULATIONS TO ALL THE BOYS FROM SOUTH AND GOOD LUCK AT WSAZ! LOVE YOU ALL!

January 16, 2000
Herbert Hoover High School freshman team had 4 team members place in the Raider Invitational at Andrew Jackson January 15, 2000.
75# -Kyle Francisco 4th
116# -Caleb Stricker 1st
123# -Seth Moales 3rd
135# -J. R. Morris 2nd
165# -Mark Staley 2nd
The team of 8 wrestlers came in 4th at the Raider Invitational. There were 23 teams participating.

They had 6 of the 8 team members to place at the McKinley -Trojan Invitational on December 10, 1999.
75# - Francisco 4th
116# -Stricker 1st
123# -Moales 2nd
128# -Luke Workman 3rd
135# -Morris 1st
165# -Staley 1st
The team placed 1st! There were 21 schools participating in the tournament. This is a great team that is winning! Their coach is Steve Canterbury. I think they deserve a little recognition. Thanks!

January 16, 2000
comments: ive come to find lately that on the forum people are talking about pain and when it can become too much. Personally as a current wrestler myself i feel that enforcing pain upon an opponet is a part of wrestling and has been since the sport has been around. now dont get me wrong i fully understand that there is and should be a limit to the amount of pain one wrestler should be able to enflict upon another such as trying to break someones arm intentionally but for all of those people out there most likely someones scared mother who is afraid of her "little baby" getting hurt who think that no kind of pain should be allowed well all i have to say is grow up nothing in this sport is going to be easy or handed to you. champions wrestle through the pain only the weak quit when it gets to be too much. of course this is just my opinion i could be wrong.

January 16, 2000
comments: I dont care what anyone out there says NOBODY in AA could compete in a dual meet with Martins Ferry. And Oak Glen beat them 42-26. Im not an Oak Glen fan but you have to give credit were credit is deserved

January 15, 2000
comments: In regards to rule 7 Section 2 Article 4: There is a line where officials can call a hold as illegal - but you cant tell me that a legal crossface a legal guillotine a legal banna split a legal cowboy a legal head lock a legal power half..... does not create "legal pain" against an opponent. The day that we start telling kids that wrestling is not designed for giving and taking some hard knocks is the day that wrestling has lost its special place in sports. Our society is becomming so watered down on striving to be the best you can be that it is begining to take a good portion of what makes sport competitive away. Tell a wrestler that he can no longer crank the air out of an opponents lungs when he has just thrown him to the mat with a cowboy and it becomes -just another sport. When God was wrestling Jacob in the form of a man (Genesis 32:24-31) and Jacob had held God all night - God inflicted some pain on Jacob by dislocating his thigh. Oh I wonder how a ref would have called that one?

January 15, 2000
comments: Congrats to Cabell Midlands Josh Coffey for reaching his 100th career win.

January 15, 2000
comments: Buddah will take the title this year no dout about it.

January 15, 2000
comments: SOUTH IS NUMBER ONE!!!!!! GOOD LUCK BIG BLUE IN THE WINNER'S CHOICE!!! SPECIAL GOOD LUCK TO MIKE BOSLEY AND NATHAN PICKENS!!!!! KICK BUTT AND PIN TO THE MAT!!

January 15, 2000
comments: To Ash Wenmoth Congratulations on your record!!!!!Way to go but you know that if you would have not left us that record would be ours!!! But it's okay Congrats anyways ashie! Love steph*

January 15, 2000
comments: I definitely agree that the Winner's Choice Tournament is going to be much better (and tougher) tournament than the WSAZ!!

January 15, 2000
comments: GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF THE SOUTH WRESTLERS THIS WEEKEND AT FAIRMONT! SHOW THEM WHO IS THE BEST IN THE STATE!! A SPECIAL GOOD LUCK TO NATHAN PICKENS JOSH VANMATRE AND JOHN DUNCAN!!!!

January 15, 2000
comments: Everyone is talking about the competition between Fairmont Sr and Hedgesville at the Winner's Choice and no one is saying anything about South. They'd better watch out!! I don't think they're giving South enough credit. I guess we'll see! Good luck South!!!! (forum)

January 15, 2000
comments: I am wondering how seeds are determined for different tournaments. I have been around wrestling and never really understood how it works. Does it go strictly by records? If that is the case I don't think that's fair. A lot of schools like Parkersburg South wrestle very tough schedules making their records lower. Can someone explain? thanks

January 15, 2000
comments: http://www.dominionpost.com/archive/sports/sports/000114D/000114D.HTM article on winner's choice

January 15, 2000
comments: Good luck boys at the Braxton Invitational. I know you all can come out winners if you only set your heads to it and make the right moves. You will always be #1 in my eyes no matter what. You have done a very good job so far this year and have had good sportsmanship and are very nice young men and that is what counts. so keep it up

January 15, 2000
comments: Two thumbs up to Buchannan-Upshur for a great tournament. I wish all tournament participants were as respectful and polite as your boys. A job well done. Good luck to your team.

January 15, 2000
comments: Three short posts...
Good luck to all the Cabell Co. boys at AJ this weekend. My guys are wrestling in Ohio this week.
Congratulations to Cabell Midland for their dual meet victory over Huntington in the castle tonight. Special congrats to Big Byron Wellman and Ryan Frazier who had a big wins at 215 and heavy to seal the victory. I always knew you had it in ya!
To Rule Book Reader... It's good to know that there are guys who want to know the rules and work within them. Although I know little about what this controvery is over it takes an excellent official to allow kids to wrestle hard and make sure they stay safe. The guys in stripes do a lot better than we soemtimes give them credit for.

January 15, 2000
comments: I don't think the 112 weight class is all sewn up yet. There's truly a 112 lb. wrestler that has improved significantly. He wrestles for the Braxton County Eagles!!! If you wrestle 112' you better pack a lunch. This kid does not give up!!!! Good Luck at the Big 16 EAGLES!!!!!

January 15, 2000
I just thought I would write and tell you that Eric Noel wrestles 130lbs weight class for Oak Glen. I believe he will be a great addition and gives them a better chance of becoming 4 time state champs. Oh by the way Oak Glen beat Martins Ferry, they are #3 in Ohio Division 3.

January 13, 2000
comments: To Robert Hickman:
Thanks very much for your kind comments about the Harpers Ferry wrestling team. We are extremely proud of our sportsmanship and stress it to our kids. And thanks for your reference to our "million dollar boosters" because without our parents we couldn't travel anywhere. Yes we wrestle 9th graders (which I know gives us an advantage over very quality middle schools that are without the benefit of 9th graders). In the Eastern Panhandle there is only one other "local" West Virginia 7th-9th grade team within 100 miles of us (to my knowlede) so we have to hit the road just about every weekend to get quality matches. This weekend will mark our fifth (and last!) overnight trip and tag our total miles traveled this season at about 3 000. Frankly I'm burned out but am proud of the way the kids bounce back every weekend. They never complain about the traveling and we always have school-board approved parents drive as we can't afford the cost of a school! bus and overnight lodging costs for the driver (our money's gotta go for the kids!). This has been a real fun season for us and we've enjoyed great hospitality and friendships at Independence-Beckley Sherrard McKinley and Buckhannon-Upshur. Every event was first class. We'll be running down to the Spencer Duals this weekend. Thanks for everyone's hospitality!

January 13, 2000
To: Pain commenter
Unless the rules have changed (my book is the 1997 edition), Rule 7 Section 1 Art 5 says that "any hold used for punishment" is an illegal hold. It says nothing about it being OK if the punishing hold is used to try to get the opponent to turn on his back. "Any hold used for punishment" is illegal. Period.

Rule 7 Section 2 Article 4 says "No contestant should ever be put in a position where he must forfeit a neutral position, a position of advantage or a fall because of an injury or danger to life or limb. The referee shall promptly stop any and all holds which, in his opinion, are being used for punishment. If a legitimate hold is forced to such an extent as to endanger a contestant, or if it becomes a punishing hold, the referee shall stop the match in order to require the hold to be broken."

"Punishing" an opponent (forcing him to either endure pain or give up a fall) is clearly illegal. Any clinician who teaches punishing holds is teaching illegal and dangerous tactics. This goes beyond "shame on you" - in the event that a wrestler is injured as a result of these illegal punishing tactics learned by some "clinician" at some summer camp, that clinician should be held responsible for his negligant behaviour in a court of law.

The way I read the rule book, any time a legitimate hold becomes a punishing hold (for example, an arm bar forced past the normal range of motion of the arm such as to inflict pain) the referee is required by rule to stop the match. Period. A referee who consistantly fails to do this is negligent. Any referee who claims that he cannot tell the difference between a legal and a punishing hold is incompetent.

This should be enough on the subject.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page