West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 2001 Forum (Part Five)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 31, 2001 From: Just A Fan
comments: On the subject of Foster (BRAXTON 152). Not only is he under rated but half of Braxtons Team is under rated. Look at Morris Shaver Yurkovich Hines Jordan & Harper. Where's all the hoopla for them.

January 31, 2001 comments: thanx for the coaches poll but how could u they have Futten ranked behind Agoney when Futten beat him at Winner's Choice because Head to head is the most important criteria. Thank U !! Now With Beard out i have to say Aaron will have a rematch with Moats at the regional tourney. Another quick comment Noechel will dominate come Saturday Evening.

January 31, 2001 From: HHS Parent
comments: Hey doc I cant believe that Lord (140) isnt ranked over Ott but hey your the greatest! I do believe that Lord will come out on top at the state tourney though.
Editor's note:
a) I don't do the rankings - the coaches do.
b) I shouldn't presume to speak for the Coaches, but hey, the way things are going on this forum, why not?
It is true that Lord defeated Ott 4-2 at the Winners Choice. Howver, Ott defeated Lord 4-0 at the Wheeling Duals on 12/27. The stated criteria for the Coaches Poll is head to head, commom opponent, and performance in past state tournament(s). Last year Ott was 6th at 135 in the state tournament and qualified at 125 in 1999; last year Lord qualified but did not place at 125; Perhaps this is why Ott was ranked ahead of Lord.
c) Everything will be settled in a few short weeks.

January 31, 2001 From: Concerned WV wrestling fan
comments: Let me point out why rankings are a bad thing to have. Out of two weight classes for AAA five of the eight ranked wrestlers are from Region II. But only four of the wrestlers from Region II who wrestle in the (145) and (171) weight class will qualify for the state tournament. SO HOW IS THERE FIVE KIDS RANKED?? I think this is a perfect example of how much validity ALL rankings have. It is a contributor to false hope and unnecessary pressure. So wrestlers please do not invest much faith nor your season in these rankings.

1 Derek George John Marshall
2 Bryan Moats Hedgesville (Region II)
3 Jason Mays Huntington
4 Victor Beard Musselman (Region II)
5 Sean Agoney Martinsburg (Region II)
6 Aaron Futten East Fairmont (Region II)
7 D.J. DeWees Point Pleasant
8 Scott Hartlieb Fairmont Senior (Region II)

1 Matt Miller East Fairmont (REGION II)
2 Chris Daggett Parkersburg South
3 Joey Thomas Huntington
4 Jeff Courtney Fairmont Senior (REGION II)
5 Ray Linger Elkins
6 Joe Jackson Martinsburg (REGION II)
7 Drew Day Jefferson (REGION II)
8 Andrew Everhart Hedgesville (REGION II)

I believe it is time to re-arrange the regions.
Coaches. . .instead of making these ranking how about making an effort to balance out the regions. Many kids do not qualify due to situations of this nature.

January 31, 2001 comments: would some people mind to give me there 160 AAA top 10 rankings. thank u

January 31, 2001 From: Cam fan
comments: It never seizes to amaze me that people always count out the freshmen in the middle weights. I have read alot of 130 polls where Casey Hughes has been ranked as low as 4th or 5th. He majored Tom Stiles who was the winner's choice runner-up finished 7th in the ovac after gaining a concussion in an earlier bout he beat a Pa. wrestler with a 16-5 record last night by major decision or well it may have been 8-1 I am not sure. The fact is the jitters are out of the kid's system. He is peaking right now and I don't think he is the 5th best wrestler in the state and the bad part for all of you other 130's is the fact he knows he isn't the 5th best. If you want my opinion he has gotten alot better over the course of the year and I predict that he won't be wrestling for 5th or 3rd. He will be wrestling in the finals on Saturday night right after his older brother wins it. When he sees how great Tyler feels after coming off the mat he will go on and he won't just win his state championship match he will dominate it. The sky is the limit for this kid.

January 31, 2001 From: bp
comments: AB
I am curious who your are? where are you from or where do you live now?

January 31, 2001 From: RF
comments: Comment to AB I agree with you about 189 being up in the air. Marks beat Sternthal Starsick beats Marks Sternthal beats Starsick. But I recall Starsick beating Sternthal at East. So I see Starsick in the finals.....Winning. But that's just my opinion & I'm not an assistant coach. What is Starsick? A sophomore?

January 31, 2001
comments: Hey Superman Lord beat Kessler 14-3 is you can do the math that would be a major decsion not minor. And Victor is out with a broken ankle. thanks

January 31, 2001
email: capndar@cs.com
comments: Question: How does folkstyle wrestling ( as practiced in the midwestern high schools) differ from wrestling in the east or southeast? I have significant experience as a coach and wrestler in the east and southeast but no experience in the midwest.

My son (13) is headed out for tournament in the spring and he'd like to be prepared. I m looking for things like - Is 'locking up' in neutral position more/less common? How many (%) midwestern wrestlers run legs? Do any run 'short' legs? Pinning combinations that are popular?

Without wanting to sound harsh...please spare me the lectures about intensity and 'a different level' in Iowa/etc. I am interesed in approach and techniques. Thanks in advance for your help.

January 31, 2001
comments: I believe that phs will do pretty good at state.They have a possible chance to have 3 state champs at 119 160 maybe 171 189.they have a young team.Their weakest weight classes are 103 112 152.They could take 2nd place at state if their kids want it bad enough.

January 31, 2001
comments: 152 A-AA State Predictions
Bolen Ind.
Seckman Will.
Stutler Clay.
Brown Cameron

January 31, 2001
Announcing the formation of a new East Coast Triple Crown of Wrestling Award - The Triumph Award. This award (approx. $75 value) will be given to any wrestler that wins the following three tournaments in the same calendar year: State College Little Lion, Southern Nationals (NC) and the Tournament of Champions (OH). A sample of the award should be on display at each of the events.

January 31, 2001
comments: Foster from Braxton is the most underrated wrestler right now he beat Bolen from Indep. and has beat Stutler from Clay though he has been beaten by Stutler he should get more recognition than he is Foster beat the boy who won the WSAZ (BOLEN) and he can do it again. We'll see what hapens this weekend at the LKCs where Foster is now ranked 4th for the tourney

January 31, 2001
comments: Is it true that Musselman's two top wrestlers Jones and Beard are out for the season with injuries ? It looked like they were a lock in to go to States.

January 31, 2001
comments: To: PSHS Fan I have read your comments before and obviously you are very biased. However I have coached and worked out with both Miller and Courtney and "personally" when it comes down to the wire I think Miller has the determination and ability to win it a third year. I take nothing away from Daggett but all the polls that have come out no matter who creates them show Miller Courtney and then Mr. Daggett as the top three. So I believe that more see it my way than yours. Again you people from South take everything to heart. This is just "my opinion" because I have practiced with both wrestlers in the past and I know the work ethic of both kids.

comments: To: FAN
I would hardly call 3-1 a domination. Starsick beat Marks 7-5 Sternthal beats Starksick 7-2. Marks beats Sternthal 3-1. To tell you the truth it is up in the air. THAT IS WHY IT IS CALLED AN OPINION!! I may have missed a match or two but that is the way I see it. Again I coached Sternthal before and I believe this is his year. I know he can beat Starsick and I don't think Marks can get by Starsick. So I see Sternthal in the finals .......WINNING!

January 31, 2001
comments: I PREDICT THAT CAMERON WILL SPANK OAK GLEN IN THE STATES THIS YEAR!!! I PREDICT THAT AT 103 NOAH ONEIL WILL WIN BY DECISION 112 BRANDON ANTILL WILL ALSO WIN BY DECISION 119 JAY KOTSON WILL WIN BY FALL IF HE IS WELL ENOUGH TO WRESTLE 125 TYLER HUGHES WILL WIN BY FALL 130 CASEY HUGHES WILL LOSE BY DECISION 135 JOEL ONEIL WILL LOSE BY DECISION THE REST IS UNDECIDED!! I HTINK IT WILL BE A GREAT MATCH GOOD LUCK TO ALL

January 31, 2001
comments: Reply to KF
Which is it??? Fact or opinion. You state in the very beginning of your "factual" based comments "…one clearly lost control of himself and what happened after that ""in my opinion ""was clearly FLAGRANT MISCONDUCT!" Yet you finish your comment in bold "IT IS SIMPLY THE FACT!"
Smells like opinion to me.

------------------
comments: Hey Doc…You have selected to submit KF's opinion and did not submit mine. If you post one opinion such as kf's " clearly in my opinion was clearly FLAGRANT MISCONDUCT!" let's be consistent. I submitted this the following am of the match. Give me a post on this one.

------------------
On paper the wrestler receives the "L". However the "big looser" at last evenings match was the audience.......
(This match) was decided by a lack of control of the match from the first whistle. A referee is responsible to control the match he is officiating. The coaches and wrestlers EXPECT it. After he blows the whistle and raises his hand to re-set wrestlers are required by rule to cease and reset in the center of the mat. After three occasions of not following this very clear and specific rule a wrestler who simply had enough "returned" the favor to his opponent. Thus he was deemed last night's loser.
It is unfortunate that the ref let this happen as the wrestlers and fans expect better. Mark it in your programs the fans got the "L" not the wrestler
Editor's note: O.K., against my better judgement here is your post with only a few deletions. I didn't post it earlier because as a rule I don't post items which criticize the referees. Disagree with this policy if you will, but I just don't see the point. If you would read all the stuff that comes in here, you would conclude that there are two possible outcomes for a wrestler who steps on the mat: Either he wins OR he is the victim of terrible officiating. There is a rating system in place where each Coach evaluates the referees performance, and I think this method is preferable to "referee-roasting" in this forum.

January 31, 2001
comments: Muldrew is at 135

January 31, 2001
comments: Congrats also to Brandon Kolb. However regional runner up or state place winner might be optomistic. 145 should open up now that Victor Beard is out for the season with a broken ankle.

January 31, 2001
email: to :kf
comments: hey buddy u might want to get ur facts staight. first of all it was a defualt . .2nd of all yes there was a push there was nothing verbal said to the ref but why wouldnt u push someone who wrestles 5 seconds after the whistle every time and gets his shots in.

January 31, 2001
comments: Hey it's me again. To the person wondering about CVAL at 140 pounds Danny Lord 1st Justin Kessler 2nd. Lord won by minor decision but controlled most of the match. At 145 pounds Bryan Moats 1st Sean Agoney 2nd. Victor Beard didn't wrestle. I don't know what the situation is with him.

January 31, 2001
comments: I'm so disgusted with polls polls are nothing bu opinions. Everyone has opinions some people have 2. No matter what polls or people say every wrestler that steps on the mat is a WINNER. Win or Lose. It takes a man to wrestle. You don't have anyone to blame when you lose except yourself. Wrestling is more WHO wants the WIN more than who's the better wrestler. I've seen top seed boys get beat by no seed boys. You Never Know. It ain't over Till it's over. Don't let the polls intimidate you. Wrestle Hard Want it More and JUST DO IT!!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

January 31, 2001
Individual Predictions:

103:
Bartrug Stm
Dye Wirt
Biddle Will
Stutler Clay
112:
Gandee Rav
Biddle Will
Morris Brax
Wince Rit
119:
Morris Cal
Bumgardner Rit
Elder Will
Jordan Brax
125:
Haddox Will
Lobis Rit
Metz Cal
Stutler Clay
130:
Metz Cal
Harkness Rit
Keaton Roa
Adkins Clay
135:
Smith Will
Minger Clay
Wine Brax
Hashman Stm
140:
Westbrook Will
Dennis Wirt
Morris Cal
Swindler Clay
145:
Childers Stm
Smith Wirt
Stewart Cal
Jarvis Brax
152:
Seckman Will
Stutler Clay
Miller Wirt
Foster Brax
160:
Cottrill Cal
Lauderman Will
Lott Wirt
Reed Clay
171:
Burge Cal
DeBoard Clay
Harper Brax
Knapp Will
189:
Delebreau Will
Hashman Stm
Shaver Brax
Nicholson Roa
215:
Peck Clay
Raban Rav
Gibson Cal
Karr Wirt
275:
Naylor Rit
Laughlin Cal
Cliver Cal
Conrad Brax
Team Scores:
Calhoun 173
Williamstown 171
Clay 134
Braxton 106
Wirt 89
St. Marys 78
Ritchie 75
Ravenswood 44.5
Roane 35

January 31, 2001
comments: So i guess at the Viking Smash Grafton just wrestled everyone and then everyone went home huh???? Come on lets see some results. If Region 2 wants some respect lets show whats going on in it

January 30, 2001
comments: THIS IS THE THIRD TIME that I have sent in my comments concerning a match last weekend. I would appreciate it if you would post it this time. During this match one of the wrestlers was scored upon at which time the other one clearly lost control of himself and what happend after that in my opinion was clearly FLAGRANT MISCONDUCT! Pushing with both hands and then turning to the referee and verbally acosting him with several profane words was about as FLAGRANT AS IT GETS! I was PERSONALLY in the gym the wrestler in question was way out of line and his behavior was deplorable. In this case FLAGRANT is a mild way of putting it. The referee stopped the match midway through the first period because of this incident and because of one wrestlers behavior the match was awarded to the other wrestler. As a result the wrestler in question would not be allowed to wrestle for the next two weigh ins if I'm not mistaken. This is not meant to trashtalk any one to inflame anyone or to upset anyone IT IS SIMPLY THE FACT! Not posting opinions on this matter will not make it better it appears to me that by you not posting any you are showing an extreme bias toward the wrestler who should be punished he should accept his punishment like a man with character. Everyone makes mistakes and I would certainly hope that in this case a 2 weigh-in suspention be accepted and move on.

Editor's note: I received a number of comments regading this match. Lots of criticism. . I chose not to post much of it. Reporting who wins and who loses is fair game, but these high school wrestlers don't get paid enough to have their moral fiber debated on this forum. If there was pushing, shoving, and swearing going on, then according to the Rule Book Section 4 Article 2, this is unsportsmanlike conduct and merits one penalty point - not disqualification (unless the rule has changed - I'm looking at the 1997 book). Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Continuing acts of unsportsmanlike conduct can be construed as flagrant misconduct. Flagrant misconduct includes striking, butting, elbowing, or kicking an opponent, and biting. Nobody said that this was going on. Based on what you describe, no flagrant misconduct occured.

I attended a match earlier this year and it looked to me like a wrestler bit his opponent during a heated exchange. Action was stopped. The opponent showed the ref something on his skin. The ref looked at the victim's skin. Then a brief conference occured between the ref and the apparent biter's coach. Then the match ended.. It sure did look like a DQ for flagrant misconduct for biting. Later that day the "biter" was back on the mat. I scratched my head. I thought that the wrestler was out for the day after a flagrant. At the conclusion of the match, I asked the ref why the "biter" was allowed to continue after a flagrant. Ref told me there was no flagrant misconduct, and that the abrasion on the skin was incidental. For some reason the "biter's" coach chose to default the match. Why? I don't know. Maybe the coach thought it best to pull his wrestler out of that particular match before things got out of hand to allow him to live to wrestle another day.

The moral of the story is that the way things appear from the stands, and in my case, the way things appeared from within 10 feet of the mat, are not always exactly as they really are. I don't doubt your perception of the events. However, I wouldn't want to report a wrestler of having committed a flagrant unless I got some official report of such. And if that is in fact how the match ended, then perhaps it should be reported as such and left at that.

January 30, 2001
comments: I just can't say enough about Martinsburg 103 pounder Brandon Kolb winning his first CVAL title and getting a huge win over Musselman's Jeff Clarke pinning him with a spladle in the 1st round. Look for Brandon to be regional runner-up and possibly place at state.

January 30, 2001
comments: For the person who made their A/AA predictions.How can you have Ritchie Co. with five state placers and not be in the top ten.

January 30, 2001
comments: Come on people the season is almost over. Where are the coach's polls ? ? ? ?

January 30, 2001
comments: I believe that Calhoun is having one of there best seasons ever. I also know that they will win LKC's this weekend at Roane County. Calhoun should also be ranked 3rd instead of 4th in the Polls. If I recall correctly Calhoun finished first by more than 50 pts. at a tourny earlier in the year. Better check that. Finishing 1st will be:
Jared Brewer- 112lbs.
Chris Morris- 119lbs.
Eric Metz- 125lbs.
Jeff Morris- 140lbs.
Casey Stewart- 145lbs.
Ray Burge- 171lbs.
Pat Mace- 189lbs.

January 30, 2001
>From a Peck_63 fan
CONGRADULATIONS DONNIE PECK @CLAY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK< YOUR DOING GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from yourbiggestfans congradulations on your 100 th win, keep up the good work, cya at the states

January 30, 2001
comments: Good luck this week Red Devils at the LKC's. Keep the beat you have had all year long and great things will come. It does my heart good to see all of the effort stamina confidence heart and soul that each of you wrestler's put into wrestling every week. As a fan you make it a joy to come watch. All the wrestlers on the team should be commended for their "Great Attitudes" win or lose!!!! You make me proud to be a Red Devil Fan.

January 30, 2001
comments: Matt Wharton is Oak Glen's 152 pounder. He is extremely underrated. He is also one of the better leg riders on Oak Glen's team.

January 30, 2001
comments: just wondering if you were going to post the cval duels. i would like to konw what happened in the 145lbs class and the 140lbs class. there was some good competiton there.thank
Editor's note: Didn't get any results on that match. There were several from last weekend that we would like results on.....

January 30, 2001
comments: who ever made the comment that miller has it locked in is with out a doubt wrong you cant forget about Daggett and Cortney two outstanding wrestlers whom i think comes state time will beat miller im sure that one of them will my prediction its going to be between daggett and cortney . daggett will come out on top .

January 30, 2001
comments: I just want to say congrats to Coach Bill Whittington of Hedgesville for taking his tough dual loss to Jefferson with dignity. When asked by a local newspaper about a couple of his kids missing from his lineup he replied (close to quote) "we had some starters out and so did Jefferson. In wrestling you worry about injuries illness and forfeits. Everyone does. But you take what you have and go forward with it. They beat us...no excuses." No excuses! No "well I had so and so sick or so and so is injured and no gosh I had to forfeit this weight class and that weight class etc." Coach Whittington showed real class and I wish other schools would stop making excuses when they lose because some of it gets real boring after a while...

January 30, 2001
comments: To Robert Hickman: You're right...there is a difference between a default and disqualification....one is worth 6 points and the other a half dozen !!

January 30, 2001
comments: I would just like to say "thanks" to everyone who works hard to keep this site up. It has to be alot of work and some headaches. Some poeple seem to forget that you dont have to pay to look at this site and alot of wrestling sites this nice cost you so just remember that when you start to bash the makers. A few years ago there was no web site for wv wrestling so thank you for a great site.

January 30, 2001
comments: What weight class is Mike Muldrew wrestling 130 or 135? i've seen him listed at both

comments: to AB.
how can you justify e fairmont winning 189. MArks dominated sternthall>>>....

January 30, 2001
comments: Hey are u too GOOD to put the WIlLLIAMSTOWN AND PHS QUAD IN HEADLINGING EVENTS
Editor's note: In answer to your repeated inquiry, no. No particular reason - I just look over the the week's schedule and make note of a few events which look interesting. The fact that a particular event is not listed under "Headline Events" should not be taken as a personal insult to any of the involved coaches, wrestlers, or fans. Of note, Morgantown and Elkins are scheduled to participate also in this particular quad, and there should be some interesting match-ups. Perhaps I should reconsider including this feature on the website, if it is going to cause so many hard feelings. I shall note this quad under headline events with my apologies to you, and I look forward to receiving complete results.....

January 30, 2001
comments: I'd just like to say congrats to Jefferson and Hedgesville for very impressive showings at CVAL. Yes Hedgesville did beat Martinsburg and they deserved to they were the better team. Martinsburg was without Joe Jackson who pulled a muscle in his neck but Hedgesville was missing people too. Hedgesville did a nice job moving guys around to compensate for there missing wrestlers. In a message that was not posted I actually did predict Jefferson to beat Hedgesville. Hedgesville and Jefferson both have very good teams and if they can get healthy in time should duke it out for the regional title.

January 30, 2001
comments: How bout some updates

January 30, 2001
I have made a site dedicated to Wv high school wrestling. Though it is far from yours i hope to keep working on it. I have polls- whicj i update weekly, and a message board, along , with my personal editors block which i update incremently. I was just wondering if you could add it to your links. My URL is : www.geocities.com/wvwrestlingx

January 30, 2001
comments: How come nobody sent the individual results from the Roane Cup? I see that Hoover clearly dominated but what about each weight class match ups?

January 30, 2001
comments: Congrats to Jefferson on their victory at the CVAL tournament they earned it as they wrestled well. I won't get into the back and forth rhetoric about who had full line ups and who didn't. I am just very proud of the way the Eagles wrestled especially after being off for two weeks. I do not think they missed a beat and whatever line up remains they will wrestle their hearts out. Do not count these guys out as they still have a lot of fight left and will make a run to put as many wrestlers as they can in Huntington.

January 30, 2001
comments: I just wanted to say that Renner Pinning Householder was just a fluke he hit a lucky hook and roll and House went to his back and couldnt get off House will be in the Regional Finals looking forward to a rematch w/ Noechel.

January 30, 2001
comments: I was just wondering why Willamstown did not show up at Oak Glen for the quad. Both John Marshall and North Marion made it. All I hear is no one gets to see Oak Glen but when they get a chance they don't show. The Oak Glen basketball team made it to Williamstown. Just wondering!!

January 30, 2001
comments: did you get my comments responding to Y2J's comments and rankings. they were concerning the 160 171 and 189 weight classes in AAA. they were merely opinions and were not trash talk or defamatory in any way. i thought the views i expressed had some merit and should have been posted. if something happened and they did not make it through i understand. i hope that it was not a case of censorship over editorship of which sometimes there is a fine line albeit that it is your web site.
Editor's note: If you are AB, you are posted way down the page on Jan 28

January 30, 2001
comments: I'd like to wish the Calhoun County Red Devils good luck at the LKC tournament you guys are looking strong and i know you guys will come out on top.

January 30, 2001
comments: Does anyone know when the individual rankings will be coming out and on the 31st there will be not just a really good tri meet but there will be some great individual matches between Park South John Marshall and Ripley.
justin conley jon howard--103
shane grogg griffin stepitich--112
ryan metz josh casto--119
matt bosley matt smith--125
mike muldrew bryce pickens--130
john duncan adam smith--135
willis king j.j. schmitt--140
derek george sony dye--145
nathan pickens adam schindler--152
casey dagget chris taylor--160
john wells mitch hastings--215

January 30, 2001
comments: I have been looking at some of the predictions for the individual rankings for the "AA" class and not one of the predictions has had oak glenns 152 pounder in the top 8. Who is the 152 pounder for them this year and is he not that good or what? That weight class has been a pretty strong point for oak glenn in the past couple of years with Holdsworth there the past two years and jones the year before that. Could someone shed some light on this for me? Thank You

January 30, 2001
comments: Could someone please post the results for the Mason-Dixon Conference Tournament at Lewis County. Or at least tell what the final team score was.

January 30, 2001
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: I know rumors fly all over the place so I'd like to know if anyone knows for sure this one. I heard Easter's win over Deligetti was a default not a disqualification. There is a big difference!!!

January 29, 2001
comments: St.Marys' Pete Hashman has already pinned Pat Mace twice this year. If I am not mistaken they are also in that conference.

January 29, 2001
comments: Could someone post the JM/Williamstown/Oak Glen/ i think N.Marion results? It would be greatly appreciated.

January 29, 2001
email: smittyc_69@hotmail.com
comments: Good Job to the 6 Beckley Central Boys that went to the Mineral Wells Tournament over the weekend it was a very tuff tourney and our guys wrestled well.
Mike Denny 6&U UNL 2nd 1-1
Rusty Shelton 9&10 65 4th 5-2
Chris Sodosky 9&10 70 4th 3-2
Drew Sauls 7&8 50 2-2
Zack Amick 11&12 70 1-2
Drew Ball 11&12 85 1-2

January 29, 2001
comments: Why isnt the quad where Parkersburg is wrestling Williamstown on WED on the list of Headlining events???? Williamstown and PHS never wrestle each other in a dual match so i think that be pretty HEADLINING

January 29, 2001
comments: To Moundsville and Harpers Ferry werstler and fans.I think you have forgotten about Kyle Walters (EDISON). Walters was undefeated last season and won the WSAZ at 135. This season he won the WSAZ at 145 and again I belive he is undefeated. It would be nice to see them all in the same tournament this sping.

January 29, 2001
comments: can anybody post here..info on cabell midland...or hunington city junior high
wreslting matches..
thrus and fri?
whereabouts..times...location...etc?
thanks

January 29, 2001
comments: How could you not have Raban from Rav. not even picked to place when he beat stover 10-2 at braxton and Gibson 12-5 at Braxton and only lost by 2 points to Peck at braxton?????

January 29, 2001
comments: like to congratulate the eagles on their runner up at cval. like to say danny lord and brian moats among others looked very impressive. and hats off to jefferson for winning the dual against the eagles. yes both teams had 3 starters missing but i don't agree with jefferson fan in that they would have won by more but keep trash talking we'll see you again at regionals. I will say that jefferson has a very tough team as do the eagles if the two teams can get all their starters back by regionals who knows the championship may finally come to the eastern panhandle. regionals should be interesting. As for supermans trashtalking about martinsburg beating hedgesville at cval and barbour beating drappo. hedgesville beat martinsburg by 18 pts and drappo won by major. but hey thanks for getting the kids fired up with your comments. again congrats to the eagles and good luck this weekend.

January 29, 2001
comments: Whats the status of Anthony Delligatti's injury?? Will he be back in time for the Regional Tournament? I hope so because I feel that he has the potential to suprise some people with a good showing at states.. It would be great if he was back for NCACs but it doesnt look that he will.. Hopefully I am wrong.

January 29, 2001
comments: Ripley placed second in a tough tournament in Ohio without one of their top wrestlers and with other wrestlers sick. I think Ripley gained some respect in Ohio this weekend.

January 29, 2001
email: aapredictor@hotmail.com
103:
Valles Weir
Bartrug StM
Dye Wirt
Biddle Will
O'Neil Cam
Snuffer Ind
112:
Gandee Rav
Biddle Will
Morris Brax
Dankovic Weir
Wince Rit
Brewer Cal
119:
Morris Cal
Auvil Graf
Bumgartner Rit
Whiteman Hun
Dye Wirt
Myers Frank
125:
Hughes Cam
Six OG
Haddox Will
Lobis Rit
Metz Cal
Stutler Clay
130:
Lowers OG
Hughes Cam
Lynch SS
Stiles CB
Metz Cal
Harkness Rit
135:
Noel OG
Leach Graf
O'neil Cam
Smith Will
Gregg BS
Bosley Frank
140:
Leach Graf
Eckleberry OG
Bosley Frank
Dennis Wirt
Westbrook Will
Morris Cal
145:
Kupfer Cam
Wood Ind
Childers StM
Snider Tyl
Flowers OG
Nicka WM
152:
Brown Cam
Bolen Ind
Seckman Will
Stutler Clay
Moore BS
Foster Brax
160:
Stickles OG
Toth SH
Dent Hun
Efaw Graf
Stewart Brax
Cottrill Cal
171:
Hebrock OG
Stotler BS
Brown Ind
Burge Cal
Butler Frank
Meyer Cam
189:
Bellville OG
Moyer Ind
Magnone Weir
O'neil Cam
Hashman StM
Clark BS
215:
Peck Clay
Stewart Ind
Gibson Cal
Karr Wirt
Weaver Mag
Stover Lib/McNeely WE
275:
Naylor Rit
Caughey OG
Laughlin Cal
Cliver Clay
Hollenbach Graf
Berg Pet

Team Tournament Rankings
Oak Glen
Williamstown
Calhoun
Cameron
Independence
Wirt
Grafton
Braxton
Frankfort
Clay

January 29, 2001
comments: To: Dragon Mat Fan
Overall I like your idea of switching the state tournament to an OVAC style tournament with all the wrestlers in one pool to determine the individual state champion and the leading team in each classification being awarded a team championship. After all wrestling is essentially an individual sport with the individual's ability not determined by the school's size (i.e. cameron's many individual state titles). However a school's size in theory does increase the potential pool of abled bodied people to fill all the weight classes which is reflected in the team scores. We all know that this is not always the case otherwise Capital would have a team but theoretically size should matter in the team scoring. I do not agree with you on rewarding the top single A school with a state title. I base this opinion due to the lack of competition on the "A" level. Only 5 or 6 true single A schools actually scored points in last years state tournament and only two schools were factors in the team standings - Cameron and Wirt. What's the point of winning an "A" state title when essentially you are only defeating one team. Seems pretty hollow to me. Your school's success is surely to be commended in spite of your small size but clearly you are capable of hanging with the best in "AA" and even "AAA." Perhaps you are just frustrated with Oak Glen's recent dominance but its the same story in "AAA" with South. If the state tournament went to the OVAC format then the regionals would also have to be restructured. I think that they should include both "AAA" and "AA" schools with the top 8 placers going to state. Or perhaps you could reserve 4 spots for each classification with the other classification filling any holes that naturally occur thus eliminating the 1st round bye at the state tournament altogether. By going to a system like the OVAC you get a true individual state champion and better overall matches. It also eliminates "I know I could've beaten the 'AAA' wrestler " that you sometimes hear. I have also heard some say that the "AA" and "AAA" state winners should wrestle each other. I do not like that idea because then that match essentially becomes the de facto state championship match. Who's to say that this would be the best match up? What if the two best wrestlers were really from "AA" or vice versa. The state championship should be determined by the best wrestlers on each side of the bracket which is why I prefer an OVAC set up.

January 29, 2001
comments: To Moundsville wrestler: regarding your "best in the state" wrestlers you overlooked Mike Davis of Harpers Ferry. Mike was 33-0 last season at 135 (don't know what Adkins wrestled last season for you but if it was at 135 then Davis beat him) and this year he is 20-0 at 145 and will no doubt finish up undefeated again. At 53 straight wins in a row that might just be the best in the state.

January 29, 2001
comments: To: S.A. Fan:
Believe me I feel your pain it is frustrating to watch good athletes transfer to other high schools. You are obviously either and wrestler or a parent of a wrestler and it is very difficult for a program to gain momentum and get your past wrestlers to come out

January 29, 2001
comments: renner pined housholder in the 2nd period at cval i think renner is coming around and does have a shot at the championship cause noechel only beat householder by a couple of points at winner's choice

January 29, 2001
comments: Just a little note to my son Alex good luck in the Cabell County Middle School Tournament at whatever weight you choose to wrestle. And good luck to all the other Milton Middle School Wrestlers. Go Panthers!!!

January 29, 2001
comments: Whoever made the comment on January 27 2001 about "If you want to werestle at the next level you'd better learn to wrestle on your feet" Who are you addressing this to? We can't read your mind. Don't be shy if you have something to say let that person know and state your name so after that person starts wrestling better on their feet they can thank you for your advice. Remember these young kids are still learning the sport and have a lot to learn. Give them a break!!

January 29, 2001
comments: I would like to congradulate Adam Leach for his 100th high school win. Adam is a Junior and took 1st place in the Petersburg Viking Smash this weekend. We look to alot from Adam in the next year.

January 29, 2001
comments: To Jef135:
Pretty bold of you to say something like Lane will be undefeated until the finals of state assuming that you think you will beat him. Not saying you may not but why do you forget about people like Duncan who is tough as well and why do you automatically assume you will beat Lane anyways? He is undefeated for a reason so how about we let your wrestling do your talking ok? No offense you are a very good wrestler but lets wrestle instead of making promises. Hint: This usually drives the other wrestler to work harder so that he can stick it in your face in Huntington. Best of luck to both.

January 29, 2001
comments: Congratulations to Cody Shell of Buckhannon Upshur for his 100th career win at the Roane County Raider Cup Duals Tournament.

January 29, 2001
comments: Watch out for Taylor of John Marshall at 160. He came back from the semifinal loss to Stickles at OVAC to beat Stickles at their Dual Meet.

January 29, 2001
comments: I just wanted to give credit to Tyler Moore our 103 pound wrestler. He is ill and has asthma. He pinned the Hedgesville wrestler which proved to be one of the deciding matches of the match. He got no credit from our local newspaper for this but i just wanted to let everyone know how much I respect him for sticking it out and getting us the win and fighting his illnesses

January 29, 2001
email: chertow@olympianwrestling.com
comments: I have finalized dates for Ken Chertow's 2001 Gold Medal Summer Camp System. Dates will be June 9-21 2001 in Huntington WV at the Gateway Hotel. Camps will range in length from 4-12 days. This will be my 16th consecutive summer conducting my camp in Huntington. Complete details can be found on www.kenchertow.com.

This years summer camp brochure is a 17x21 full color poster with some of my favorite photos & motivational quotes on it. The focal point of poster is a photo capturing the essence of the saying "Intensity - that is what it take to beocme a Champion!" Remember this as you train and compete during the final weeks of the season.

If you would like to receive this camp poster in the mail send your postal address via e-mail to chertow@olympianwrestling.com

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page