West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 2000 Forum (Part Six)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 27, 2000
comments: Good luck to Milton Middle School in the Cabell Co. Championships this weekend. It will be tough trying to take it away from defending champs Cammack but you guys have the heart to do it.

January 27, 2000
comments: I don't understand why people complain or agrue about these rankings. These rankings aren't worth a big pile of monkey poo. When I wrestled i was unranked and it didnt bother me. I placed higher than 4 of the 6 ranked wrestlers in my weight class. I knew that my suprior coaching training and the fact my team wrestled one of the toughest scheduals in the state that i would place high. I know in AA sometimes the rankings are more miss leading than in AAA. In AA there are just some teams that won't wrestle other teams cause there afraid of the competion. That is were you get these kids with 35-4 records that just arent very good. That 15 or of those 35 wins were forfiets or they have 10 wins against the same kid. Yet they get ranked above a kid in AA who is 25-13 and has wrestled the best competion that is out there. Its not that the rankings are bad or anything I think they make for good conversation. I just feel people put too much in to them. I think they should be more concered with what they finish at state then what some piece of paper says in at the end of January.

January 27, 2000
comments: Is Zuccolotto from weir wrestling this year? If so what weight?

January 27, 2000
comments: I think that travis durst from martinsburg is going to be a surprise this year at the state tournament. This is his first year as a starter and he is a junior. He hasnt lost very many matches this year and he beat neptune of fairmont senior who is ranked fourth in the state. Durst could be a surprise. Good luck to all of the martinsburg wrestlers.

January 27, 2000
comments: I was just wondering about the AAA coaches individual polls. At the 140 pound class Todd Arbes of Cabell Midland is ranked 6th. To my knowledge Todd has only lost one match and was champion at WSAZ. How do the coaches determine the polls.

January 27, 2000
comments: to the person who said i was right about not to live in the past but the past five years is still in the past so better think of something better. you know i am right and there is nothing you can do about it. you do have a great team and the odds are certainly on you side but i think hedgesville still can catch you but they are going to need a little of luck. like having only 7 teams show up for the regional tournament.

January 27, 2000
comments: I will be out for a week or maybe to i strained a joint in my shoulder. But i will be back you can count on that

January 27, 2000
comments: When are the coaches on the board going to make the AA/A individual poll?

January 27, 2000
comments: AAA rankings:
I find it hard to believe that both Easter and Johnson from Nitro although both undefeated are both ranked 2nd? Delgotti and George are both very good but it must be a simple matter of respect. 103 we will find out tonight as long as Delgotti wrestles. Nitro is a top 5 this year but a contender for all the marbles next! GOOD LUCK MAT AND CHRIS!

January 27, 2000
comments: I think that the comment about the AAA polls was incorrect. Joey Mayle should also be on that 135 pounder list. If you saw the match against the two of them that went into over time. You would have agreed just as much as I do that Mayle should have won that match. It will be interesting to see who wins but you if can go and put one or two more names in each weight class then Mayle sure does deserve to be in the 135 weight class. He'll show you what he can do.

January 27, 2000
comments: I'd like to commend Brent Sams on his Jr. High/Middle School Page. He's done a great job! Our team did not participate at the WSAZ tournament but I've never seen a better description of ANY tournament than the one he gave of the championship matches and the paths the wrestlers took to reach the finals. Obviously every team is not going to be happy with the state ranking poll but all Mr. Sams can do is compile the rankings of the voting coaches. As a junior high coach I'm just happy that our schools get the extensive coverage they get and that's because of a few dedicated people like Tim Miller Brent Sams and all the others who work on these web pages. Keep the positive comments and controversy coming!

January 27, 2000
comments: An Educated Guess on what will happen at state.

103                   112                   119
1 Zubay  OG           1 Gandee Rav           1 Brown Cam
2 Morris Cal          2 Roberts OG           2 McCartney Cal
3 Biddle Will         3 Prater BC            3 Haddox Will
4 Housey RC           4 Auvil Graf           4 Sharp WC
5 Dankovichik Weir    5 Fullerton Cam        5 Andrick Rav
6 Blake Ind           6 Brookover Will       6 Morrello GW
    125                    130                   135
1 Wenmoth Will        1 Hayhurst RC          1 Cross WC
2 Jonhson Cal         2 Noel OG              2 Childers St.M
3 Harris Brax         3 Kupfer Cam           3 Lowers OG
4 Hughes Cam          4 Westbrook Will       4 Leach Graf
5 Eckleberry OG       5 Lynch SS             5 Jones SH
6 Green Ind           6 Leach Graf           6 Westbrook Will
    140                    145                   152
1 Glass OG            1 Hughes Cam           1 Litten Frank
2 Prather Win         2 Shindler Rav         2 Holdsworth OG
3 Zyla Will           3 Poole OG             3 Toth SH
4 Wood Ind            4 Koslosky RC          4 Smith RC
5 Bosely Fran         5 Bollen Ind           5 Seckman Will
6 Lucey Cam           6 Boggs Rich           6 Lively GW
    160                    171                   189
1 O'Neil Cam          1 Nestor Rav           1 Bellville OG
2 Hardaway Brax       2 Magnone Weir         2 Kuykendall Frank
3 Sims GW             3 Stotler BS           3 Delebreau Will
4 Stickles OG         4 Hebrock OG           4 Moyer Ind
5 Brown Ind           5 Barnette Ind         5 Parsell BS
6 Goff RC             6 Wood Cam             6 Hart Brax
             215                       275
        1 Busick Weir              1 Naylor Rit
        2 Six OG                   2 Caughey OG
        3 Pugh Lib R               3 Ritter Brax
        4 Karr WC                  4 Laughlin Cal
        5 McKinney Ind             5 Taylor Graf
        6 Raban Rav                6 Cliver Clay

Top 10 teams

1 Oak Glen
 2 Cameron 
 3 Williamstown
 4 Independece
 5 Ritchie County
 6 Braxton County
 7 Ravenswood
 8 Calhoun County
 9 Grafton 
10 Frankfort

January 27, 2000
email: theaasource@hotmail.com
comments: My Picks:

Morris (Cal)
Zubay (OG)
Hosey (Rit)
Biddle (Will)
Borror (Peter)
Blake (Ind)

Gandee (Rav)
Prater (BC)
Auvil (Graf)
Roberts (OG)
Lobis (Rit)
Brookover (Will)

Brown (Cam)
McCartney (Cal)
Sexton (Ind)
Bumgardner (Rit)
Haddox (Will)
Sharp (Wirt)

Wenmoth (Will)
Johnson (Cal)
Hughes (Cam)
Harris (Brax)
Eckleberry (OG)
Green (Ind)

Hayhurst (Rit)
Kupfer (Cam)
Noel (OG)
W.Westbrook (Will)
Leach (Graf)
Snider (Tyl)

Childers (StM)
Lowers (OG)
Cross (Wirt)
Leach (Graf)
T.Westbrook (Will)
Jones (SH)

Prather (Win)
Glass (OG)
Wood (Ind)
Zyla (Will)
Lucey (Cam)
Bosley (Frank)

Schindler (Rav)
Hughes (Cam)
Koslosky (Rit)
Kesner (Frank)
Boggs (Rich)
Anderson (LH)

Litten (Frank)
Holdsworth (OG)
Toth (SH)
Smith (Rit)
Hall (CB)
Seckman (Will)

Snider (Tyl)
Hardway (Brax)
O'Neil (Cam)
Zuccolotto (Weir)
Sims (GW)
Brown (Ind)

Nestor (Rav)
Barnette (Ind)
Stotler (BS)
Magnone (Weir)
Kimball (StM)
Hart (Brax)

Kuykendall (Frank)
Bellville (OG)
Moyer (Ind)
Delebreau (Will)
Parsel (BS)
Hart (Brax)

Busick (Weir)
Six (OG)
Pugh (LR)
McKinney (Ind)
Raban (Rav)
Gibson (Cal)

Naylor (Rit)
Caughey (OG)
Ritter (Brax)
Laughlin (Cal)
Cliver (Clay)
Taylor (Graf)

Feel free to email me with any of your comments or my mistakes! Thanks!

January 27, 2000
email: smcgin5571@AOL.COM
comments: HEY WVAA EMAIL ME WHEN U CAN I NEED SOME INFO ON JERMIAH K. THANK MAN

January 27, 2000
comments: I would just like to say that i am very proud of the Patriots of Parkersburg South they are wrestling tremendously well. All of the wrestlers are wrestling their hearts out and kickin butt this year!!! Way to go and good luck this Thursday and Saturday on your matches!!! Special good luck to Mike and Matt Bosley!!! GO South!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2000
comments: I wrestled Weigle in the Regionals and won in which I finished first. Terry Weigle wrestled back and defeated a kid from Point Pleasant. In the State Tournament which had no wrestle back I met Weigle in the State finals and lost. Terry Weigle is a heck of a wrestler no doubt.

January 27, 2000
email: simmonsl@ovis.net
comments: About the forfeits. You judge a team as a team! If a team is not full then the TEAM is not as strong. The Moundsville-Beckley-Stratton duel score was 51-27. If you take away both team's forfeits the score would have been 43-21. Still a strong win for Moundsville. As far as a tounament "team" if you don't have a wrestler in a weight class. You don't get TEAM points.

January 27, 2000
email: wv_aa@hotmail.com
comments: Hi
i updated my polls and my predictions. I apologize to Ryon Anderson (I forgot you dropped to 140). Also on the message board there is a nice reply to Mr. Bub Yurkovic. Thanks
WVAA

January 27, 2000
comments: About the Bosley vs Gandee Match down at WSAZ. Gandee was handily defeated by Bosley. The one thing i have noticed about South kids is they never stop wrestling. If there a minunte left or five seconds they dont stop. If its on the line or out in the middle they really do go hard. I dont know how many times i seen a south kid break a match open or win it by scoring in the last seconds of a period. Its not like they are the best wrestler some of them arent but they believe they can win and that what counts. They really wrestle hard!

January 27, 2000
comments: To forum posters...
It's been a while since anyone reminded us all that leaving the Caps Locks key DOWN is the equivalent of shouting on the net. Not since the storied days when the irascable BUFFALO BILL (R.E.) & the fabled and mysterious MEXICANO haunted this board have I heard so much on line shouting! Unless you are angry or wish to emphasize a point please (PLEASE) turn off the Caps Lock!
Thanks!
Jim

January 27, 2000

comments: To Region 2 Wrestler:
You are right and we shouldn't live in the past. So I looked up the last 5 years. In the past 5 years a total of 276 wrestlers have finished in the top 4 places in AAA. 41% of those were from Region 1. 28% were from Region 2 18% were from Region 3 and 13% were from Region 4. So to say that Region 1 is given an advantage is wrong they win more than their share at the state. Take a look at the Winner's Choice and WSAZ tournaments. These tournaments have all 14 wrestlers from each team. Anyway I agree that Region 2 is too big and Region 1 is too small. But is anyone going to volunteer to move??

January 27, 2000
comments: How badly was Tucker Brown injuried at OVAC?

January 27, 2000
comments: Nathan Pickens is out from an injury and will be back soon.

January 26, 2000
comments: Beating a team in a duals type format doesn't always equal a strong STATE TOURNAMENT format (bracket) team. Forfeits and the way certain teams matchup sometimes makes a team look better than they are and in a dual meet you don't always get a true indication of which team has the top wrestlers who would advance deep into a tournament and score points. Being undefeated is great. But without wrestling all available contenders it is a empty claim to fame. The Wood County teams whether you like them or not are the class of the state! We at Beckley-Stratton are a relatively young program and hope to continue to build tradition with each season that passes. We feel that a good way to test it is to wrestle the best and try to model ourselves after successful programs (Wood Co. for example). We wrestled them all this season ( Blennerhassett, Harper's Ferry, Moundsville, Sherrard, Cammack, and saw Edison, Williamstown and Wirt at the WSAZ) and felt that the level of wrestling among the Wood Co. and surrounding area (Wirt) schools was the best we saw. This also proved out at the WSAZ tournament. As for the Jr. High rankings I beleive they are a combination of duals and bracket tournament results. Also duals scores can be missleading when forfeits aren't mentioned in the equation.

January 26, 2000
comments: I dont understand how parkersburg can jump to #6 and never be ranked last poll
Editor's note: I can't speak for the coaches, so I shouldn't. Having said that, I get the impression that as the season progresses team rankings are based more on (expected) performance in a tournament format. After all, for better or for worse, at the end of the year, it is team performance in tournament format that counts at the State Tournament. Wheeling Park jumped into the poll this week. While it is true that their record in dual meets may be a bit spotty due to forfeits, they have several "heavy hitters" who will carry them farther through a tournament...

January 26, 2000
email: pin2win@webtv.net
comments: TH CALHOUN INVITATION WAS AN AWESOME EVENT FOR THE EAGLES THIS YEAR. THEY BROUGHT 5 FIRST PLACES 3 SECOND PLACES 3 THIRD AND 1 FOURTH. I THINK IT'S TIME SMALLER SCHOOLS GOT SOME RECOGNITION. AS FOR WINNING WE ALWAYS KNEW THEY COULD DO IT. THE COACHES AND THE TEAM HAVE WORKED EXTREMELY HARD THIS YEAR. SO FAR AS A TEAM THE EAGLES ARE UNDEFEATED. HOW MANY MORE SCHOOLS IN THE REGION ARE UNDEFEATED? COME ON PEOPLE GIVE THE SMALLER SCHOOLS A GLANCE AT LEAST ONCE IN A WHILE. GO BRAXTON EAGLES AS A FAN AND PARENT I COULDN'T BE PROUDER OF YOU GUYS. KEEP UP THE HARD WORK!!! CONGRATS TO TONY FOR THE MOST VALUABLE WRESTLER AWARD AT THE CALHOUN INVITATIONAL. GOD BLESS!!!

January 26, 2000
email: COMMENTS FOR THE FORUM
comments: I READ IN THE CHARLESTON GAZETTE ABOUT BOSLEY OF PARKERSBURG SOUTH BEATING ASH GANDEE 5-2 AT WSAZ. I BET IT WAS ONE HECK OF A MATCH. I DON'T KNOW HOW THE BOSLEY WRESTLES BUT I DO KNOW HOW GANDEE WRESTLES "HARD". I WISH I COULD OF BEEN THERE TO SEE THAT ONE!!!

January 26, 2000
comments: Wrestling
RE: Westmar Tournament
Andrew Flynn (112) Nathan Kinsley (119) Jeff Perroots (125) Scotty Marshall (135) and Kenny Griffin (145) all won titles in their weight classes and helped give University the team title at the Wesmar Invitational over the weekend. Morgantown’s Lucas Cappas (103) and Anthony Fucello (heavyweight) were runners up in their weight classes at the Wesmar Invitational.

January 26, 2000
comments: Shetler is a senior.

January 25, 2000
comments: Man I dunno about all you people but I thought Independence wrestles an awesome tournament at Memorial Field house this past weekend. Their effort shows how much of a team sport wrestling really is. The Patriot wrestling team placed no one in the finals and still won the AA/A Division by 13 1/2 points. That should tell these other teams something. Williamstown only placed one in the finals and they followed in the close second place spot. Independence placed 5th overall in the WSAZ tournament. That's not too bad if ya ask me considering the depth of some of the other teams that placed behind them. Everyone also always fails to mention the guys that don't place and are JV or second string on these top teams but if the state place winners didn't have the second stringers to drill with and wrestle with and give them the confidence to wrestle other good wrestlers then they wouldn't be where they are now...
That's all I have to say for now...

January 25, 2000
comments: I would like to commend Matt Easter on the great job he has done this year he has shown he belongs in the state championship with deligatti and co. i take back earlier comments against him and am now a believer that he is the front-runner at 103. I also likle deligatti though and believe that if the brackets fall right they will be a great finals match at state. im not counting out smith ballam and miller. it should be a great bracket this year!

January 25, 2000
email: lantmir@charlie.cns.iit.edu
comments: OK its been a while but I have once again added something to my webpage.... eventually I'll get around to my state picks but this is something that couldn't wait to be added.... I was told something the other night and I think that its something that more people need to know about. Its a very touching story... So go to www.iit.edu/~lantmir/thepoint.html to read the true story (hopefully) behind the Oak Glen point...... you can also get there from my page www.iit.edu/~lantmir/talon.html.

January 25, 2000
comments: I am writing this in refrence of the jr high polls. Why is Harpers Ferry Jr High ranked number 3 when Blennerhassett lost and we are still the only undefeated Jr. High team in the state. So what if Edison beat Blennerhassett that means Blennerhassett has 1 loss and we are 30-0 so we sould be in first place. My regards

January 25, 2000
comments: about region 1 and the past history. we are not in the past any more it is the present and it should not be that way. and the state tournament is still given to them. When you said that they wrestle region champions in the first round that is true but if they lose than the go against another wrestler that finsihed third or fourth and there you get points for the team and that still gives you the advantage in the team standings.

January 25, 2000
comments: Where was Johnson and Hahyhurst at for the Calhoun tourney? Were they hurt or sick or what?

January 25, 2000
comments: calhoun's asst. coach is Mike McCartney and the best incoming wrestlers are Derek Metz Chris Morris and Charles Gibson. Interested matmaid if you are talking about the young good looking calhoun assisant coach it is Bryan Gainer but he is already taken.
Editor's note: Er, um, I thought they were both young and good looking. We get in to a lot of debates and arguments on this forum, but this is where we draw the line. WE ARE NOT GOING TO DEBATE WHO HAS THE BEST LOOKING ASSISTANT COACH (smile).

January 25, 2000
comments: what year is Shetler?

January 25, 2000
comments: Now that OVAC WSAZ and Winner's Choice are over most of the best have seen each other. What are the chances that individual rankings will be done? Does coaches poll do individual rankings or just teams? Would like to see some knowledgable/thought out individual rankings compiled.
Editor's note: I know for a fact that the AAA coaches have been working on the AAA individual poll since last week. Expect it to be released any day. Polls are tricky business. See next post... (smile)

January 25, 2000
comments: I have just reviewed the Jr. high rankins and Beckley-Syratton is ranked above Moundsville. We wrestled them at the Clash of Chapions and handled them prety well Moundsville 51 Beckley-Stratton 24. and you have Cammock right on our tails and we beat them 65-21.

January 25, 2000
comments: comments: Could someone please clarify a discussion that took place recently. I beleive that in 1976 there was a wrestle-back at the state tourney in which Woody Burns of Park. South defeated Terry Weigal of Weir on Saturday morning only to have Weigal come back Saturday evening and defeat Burns in the finals.Can anyone please recall this event?Thanks!

January 25, 2000
comments: There is NO reason a coach should discourage "shaking the other coach's hand". It not only displays sportsmanship but shows a little class.

January 25, 2000
comments: from what i know shaking the other coach hand after a match is allowed if you want to but there is no rule that says you have to. i mean no disrespect but when i loose sometimes i don't feel like shaking the other coach hand. sometimes he is over there jumping up and down acting like he just got rich or something. maybe i don't see it in my match but i see it when other guys on my team get beat. i feel bad enough already for loosing so why do i have to go over there and have it rubbed in? i mean he is over there with this silly grin on his face and i have to go there and shake his hand so he can rub it in some more? and when i win i feel like going over there to shake his hand is like rubbing it in on him. i go to wrestle not shake hands. when my match is over i want to go back with my team. if the thought police cant handle it thats there problem.

January 25, 2000
comments: Who is the best incoming wrestler (fresh. soph.) for next year?

January 25, 2000
comments: Who is Calhouns Asst. Coach?

January 25, 2000
comments: http://sundaygazettemail.com/news/Sports/2000012222/
article on WSAZ

January 24, 2000
comments: To Brent Sams and others
It seems I underestimated a bit when counting the number of teams! Not only that but there were an amazing One Thousand Ten individual matches in the Jr.High/Middle/Freshman division and Eight Hundred and Four in the High school division! Great wrestling and great job in running it. Congratulations to Coach Archer - Coach St. Clair - Arden and everyone else involved. Special thanks to the ladies in the coaches room who provided such delicious food. Especially those round cinnamon rolls with cream inside... Awesome! The Wood Co. teams raised the bar for the rest of us. Aside from the sound sytem problem everything went smooth... started on time and was over on time. There were some super matches in the finals. I watched several that pitted state champs and runner up against each other and in some cases 2 returning state champs. This is one place where all the AA vs AAA talk can be put to rest as there is only one high school division. If you love wrestling the WSAZ is the place to be next year! One last thought... the results on the site are tremendous. Every match in detail ... thanks for a job well done. Oh yeah and ALL THE SCOREKEEPERS DID A GREAT JOB!!! Lest I be remiss!

January 24, 2000
comments: to the person that says kupfer and noel will meet in the finals. i think you failed to recognize the people who actually placed high in the states the past 3-4 years. westbrook 1st hayhurst 2 1sts johnson 2 1sts now did kupfner or noel ever get 1st? NO! i think you beter think before making any bets yet. i think it will be between these 3 wrestlers.

January 24, 2000
comments: AAA
103- Deligatti Easter Smith
112- Stanley Bosely Casto
119- Stevens Johnson Bowers
125- Stanley George Lane
130- Shetler Radcliff Walters
135- Bosely
Dont really know much on upper weights but lower weights should be like that!!

January 24, 2000
comments: I can say i was impressed with Ash Wenmoth at WSAZ. He looked very strong in the Finals against J.P. Stanley of Cable Midland. What impressed me the most was the way Ash was able to pick up the tempo in the match. After falling behind 2-0 he was able to take down Stanley two times in about 15 seconds to bring himself back in to the match. Then Ash's conditioning took over and was able to dominate the third period. Taking Stanley from his feet to his back and almost pinning him as time ran out. I would say Ash works very hard in the practice room to be able to beat a kid as good as Stanley.

January 24, 2000
email: wv_aa@hotmail.com
comments: Hey i updated the weight class roundup. I will be finishing up this weeks poll hopefully should be up by thursday. Thanks http://wvaa.homepage.com

January 24, 2000
comments: To student fan
I don't know why a coach would teach that. As a wrestler our coaches always teach us to shake hands with opposing coaches. I think that it is good sportsmanship and any coach that teaches against it is doing the wrong thing.

January 24, 2000
comments: To Region 2 wrestler
I understand your frustration over region 1 only having 7 schools. However if you look at the history of wrestling in WV I think you will see that Region 1 dominated the tournaments for years. There was a time when 36 of the top 48 place finishers were from Region 1. I am glad to see teams from other regions improving. It makes for a far more interesting tournament. As for your suggestion that South is given the State Title because they send so many remember the third and fourth place finishers wrestle other regions champs and runners-up. Instead of inviting South to join Region 2 maybe some teams from Region 2 should come to Region 1. Any volunteers??

January 24, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Jim Shetler 130 Hedgesville High School on 150 wins and breaking the tri-county record. Keep up the good work.

January 24, 2000
email: waddles_wv@yahoo.com
comments: WAY TO GO BRAXTON COUNTY MATMEN. THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE YOUR TOTALLY UNDEFEATED SEASON EXCEPT I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THANKS COACH BEANE AND COAC SHUMAN FOR THE DEDOCATIN AND COMMITMENT YOU HAVE FOR THE WRESTLING TEAM. WITHOUT YOU GUYS THE BOYS COULDN'T HAVE MADE IT THIS FAR!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EAGLES. SEE YOU AT FRANKFORT THIS WEEKEND. TAKE IT TO THE MAT GUYS. GOSH I'M SO PROUD OF YOU.

January 24, 2000
comments: way to go Parkersburg South congratulations to all and especially 112 pounder---MATT BOSLEY at wsaz tournament

January 24, 2000
comments: Congradulations to Cammack Middle for coming in 2nd.They had 6 guys place and they had some tough early loses that hurt them.Good luck in the county!!

January 24, 2000
comments: Where is the WV-Ohio duals held and why is it called this?
Has been in Ravenswood in the past, and has involved I think 3 or 4 WV teams and 3 or 4 Ohio teams. I thought we had some results from previous years, but apparantly not.

January 24, 2000
comments: In response to Radcliff/Shetler and the "sleepers"...I think that everyone has just as much of a chance at winning state as the next guy. It'll just be whoever has worked the hardest and wants it the most. Best of luck to everyone with the rest of their season and at state. I also want to congratulate South on a job well done this past weekend at the WSAZ!!!

January 24, 2000
comments: WAY TO GO BRAXTON EAGLES! #1 AT CALHOUN INV. CONGRATS. TO COACH STERLING BEANE AND COACH TOM SHUMAN. WER'E STILL UNDEFETED! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.ALSO GOOD JOB TONY HARDWAY CALHOUN INV. M.O.W.

January 24, 2000
email: jmc1204@aol.com
comments: I understand why after a match a wrestler shake's the hand of the opposing coaches.(sportsmanship-even professionals do it) I don't understand however why a coach would instruct his team not to shake hands with the opposing coaches. Could someone explain the rationale behind this?

January 24, 2000
comments: To the Jan. 23 question regarding a wrestler getting instruction from someone other than their coach during a match. I am aware of at least one wrestling coach in the state of WV that doesn't give a d--- about wrestling. I don't know what his reason is to continue coaching. Many former wrestlers have offered to help and qualified individuals have offered to take over the program. He continues to hang on. He continues to have a small team with a few experienced wrestlers who could be kicking butt with the right coaching and conditioning. Anyway back to the original question - the wrestlers who wrestle for this particular coach have no choice but to get instruction from someone other than the coach during a match. I stongly believe that under normal conditions a wrestler should only look to his coach for instruction.
Editor's note: Whew!! Pretty strong words: But since no names are mentioned we'll let it fly...

January 23, 2000
comments: I would like to CONGRATULATE Blennerhassett Jr. High on an outstanding job at the WSAZ Invitational.

January 23, 2000
comments: The OVAC Tournament is an awesome tournament. I would like to send a compliment to the Martins Ferry Coach. Your team showed great sportsmanship during the OVAC tournament matches. At least the ones that I observed.

January 23, 2000
comments: Nitro showed their stuff at WSAZ's. They will have six kids place in states this year. Keep an eye on them. It's about time they got some credit. Just wait till next year!

January 23, 2000
comments: Will Tucker Brown wrestle at the WV State Tournament? He got hurt at the OVAC but never heard the details.

January 23, 2000
email: runions@prodigy.net
comments: GREAT JOB SOUTH PATRIOTS... AT THE WSAZ THIS PAST WEEKEND..ONCE AGAIN YOU ALL SHOWED THE REAST OF THE STATES WHY YOU ARE # 1 KEEP WORKING HARD.. GOOD JOB COACH MCCARTNEY (NICE GUYS REALLY DO FINISH FIRST)>>>

January 23, 2000

comments: why does region 1 have only 7 teams. 2 of those teams dont even have a full team so you can expect to have south to have 14 in the state tournament and give them the best chance to win the team title. i know they have a good team but if you put them in region 2 you might only see 9-10 patriots at the state tournament and make the state tournament a little more balanced. 7 teams and you have to place in the top four. you should be proud to make the state tournament you should also have to earn the right to make the state tournament not have the tournament given to you. all you have to do is win one match and you are probably in the finals of a regional tournament.

January 23, 2000
comments: congrat's to the hedgesville eagles this past weekend at the rebel inv. hedgesville had 8 champions and 9 in the finals. they beat williamsport md. by about 70 points. congrats to jason baker on his performances and jason drappo for both taking first. and regalbuto for getting another outstanding award. i think it is just a two team race for the state title this year because i dont expect fairmont to have 6-7 kids in the semis at states like they do at most of the tournaments this year but expect hecgesville to have there 5 or 6 in the semis and maybe in the final.

January 23, 2000
comments: ACTUALLY THE BEST HWT TO EVER WALK THE MAT WAS MIKE FORTIER AND HOW COULD SAY MARK SAMPLES IS THE WRESTLER OF THE CENTURY WHEN MIKE VIANI BEAT HIM AND THE ONLY REASON HE BEAT MIKE WAS CAUSE HE BLEW HIS KNEE OUT THAT YEAR

January 23, 2000
email: south_girl01@hotmail.com
comments: Congratulations to Parkersburg South on a great tournament at the WSAZ. You all did great!

January 23, 2000
In responce to SOuth 84's statement concerning the outstanding wrestler, obvesiuosly, you did not see the state tournment. First of all, he pinned his first and second opponent and major decision the third opponent and in the finals, he physically dominated the match with a score of 9 to 3. The three points were only scored by Hedrick letting the kid up. Hedrick did not given up a take down the enitre tournament. I don't think we need to discuss his success over the last years. Thank you!

January 23, 2000
comments: I have a question anyone feel free to give your opinions? Do you think it is okay for a wrestler to look at someone other than his coach to get advice during a match?
Hmmmm, depends on how the coach feels about it...

January 23, 2000
comments: the reason why miller noechel and eakle were not there was because miller had a bruised clavicle eakle was sick and so was noechel if they were there the score would have been alot different

comments: East Fairmont wrestled some of there JV's against Parkersburg because of the flu.

January 23, 2000
comments: To Phanatik I would like to see your rankings for AAA after the Wsaz Tour. I think there was a lot of upsets and a lot of wrestlers that really showed what they could do. Thanks

January 23, 2000
comments: Will Westbrook wrestled 130 and Tyler wrestled at 135 in WSAZ.

January 23, 2000
comments: Was it Will Westbrooke or Tyler that wrestled at WSAZ?

January 23, 2000
comments: To the folks talkin about Radcliff Shetler. Couple others in that weight who might be sleepers. KEEP your eyes open .

January 23, 2000
comments: Anyone know why East Fairmont was without the middle of their lineup on the 19th against Parkersburg? Especially Miller where were they?

January 23, 2000
comments: OVAC PHOTOS!!! LOG ON MON. THE 24TH. TO WWW.ALLSPORTSIMAGING.COM THEY HAVE SHOTS OF EVERY ONE.

January 23, 2000
comments: Congratulations Eagles on bringing home another 1st place. You've worked very hard all year to remain undeafeated. Keep up the good work guys!!! As a wrestling fan and parent I have to say I'm very proud to be a part of the BRAXTON EAGLES WRESTLING TEAM!!! GOOD LUCK IN PETERSBURG NEXT WEEKEND. Believe me I will be there to support you guys. Thanks Coach Beane and Coach Shuman for being two of the best coaches in the region. You should be very proud of your team and very proud to be the coaches who got the EAGLES this far. TAKE IT TO THE MAT GUYS!!!

January 23, 2000
comments: Kupfer beat Noel 6-4 in ot. Noel gave up a point in the second with to many cautions which cost him the match. Guranteed they meet in the state finals.

January 23, 2000
comments: Congratulations to the Harpers Ferry wrestling team this season. They have a 30-0 record and have defeated 24 different West Virginia teams. They also have fifteen wrestlers who have won 20 or more matches. Pretty solid "team."

January 22, 2000
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: Many of West Virginia's best wrestlers the past century never wrestled in college but played football. Do not forget Doc Holiday from Hurricane WV. His senior year 1975 I think he was as undefeated 167 pound state champion. He didn't give up many points to his opponents either. Haywood Smith Dunbar High School 1972 was the heavyweight state champion and only weighed about 210 at the time. I personally saw him lift off the ground with double leg takedowns many heaver wrestlers (240-260 lbs) put in the half nelson and pin them. At that time the weight classes went 185 HWT and not the 189 215 HWT there is now. I'm sure there are others that will come to mind later.

January 22, 2000
comments: When considering good tournaments for AA teams one must also look at the Berkeley Springs. Cameron finished fourth at Berkeley Springs Hedgesville 3rd and Independence 5th or 6th. It is a quality tournament and this year had 18 teams from three states.

January 22, 2000
email: Mandalouise99@yahoo.com
comments: First off I would like to give a special congratulations to P. South for winning the Winner's Choice tournament. I would also like to comment on the best wrestlers of the 90's. After reading over the majority of your opinions I think a lot of you are overlooking Jason JOhnson. He completely dominated his weight class all three years.

January 22, 2000
comments: I see Eric Noel is wrestling at 130 lbs. Didn't he start the season wrestling 119? Booke Classic results list him as placing 3rd. What's the story? Also any results from OVAC? or information on where to find them?

January 22, 2000
comments: I was wondering about the most outstanding wrestler award given at the state tournament. Is it awarded based on career achievements or accomplishments in the state tournament that year? And if it is only for the performance at the state tournament what determines the coaches decision? Last year Matt Stevens a sophomore from P.H.S. defeated Alex Reed a senior state champion from the year before and then defeated Jeremy Lainer in the finals. Yet Nicholas Hedrick won the outstanding wrestler award. Nothing against Hedrick he was a great wrestler but....... did he have a good tournament or a great career? Should there separate awards one for outstanding career and one for outstanding tournament???

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page