West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 2000 Forum (Part Seven)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 31, 2000
comments: congrats to hedgesville on winning the cval tourament this past weekend. they are 25-0 in dual meets this year. I look for them to be a serious threat to Parkersburg South come state tournament time. They have 9 wrestlers ranked in the top 8 of the state and 4 in the top 3. With a little luck I expect them to win.

January 31, 2000
comments: I noticed by reading the forum that OHIO has a web page could someone please tell me the way to get on it. also the PENN web if they have one thank you

January 31, 2000
comments: I WAS BROWSING THE MD. WRESTLING FORUM AND GETTING ALOT OF SLACK FROM THE REST OF THE STATE THAT NORTHERN GARRETT HASN'T WRESTLED ANYBODY. PERSONALLY I BELEIVE FAIRMONT SR. AND HEDGESVILLE BOTH COULD WHIP MOST MD. TEAMS . WHAT I'M ASKING FOR IS SOME GOOD HARD FACTS THAT WV. IS WORTHY OF BEING A POWERHOUSE IN THE MD./WV. REGION. N. GARRETT LOST TO FAIRMONT IN THE MOST AWSOME MATCH I'VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME. HEDGESVILLE AND N. GARRETT WRESTLED TOGETHER AT THE BERKLEY TOURNAMENT. RESPONSES AND COMMENTS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

January 31, 2000
comments: Thanks to Mountain State Wrestling for the weight class changes taking effect for the upcoming West Virginia Youth Championships. The new ones make more sense than the old ones. 13 to 15 always put 13 year olds at a distinct disadvantage. The new breakdowns give each class no more than a 1 year advantage in the classes except 5 and under. 12 and 13 14 and 15 makes sense. I'd also like to thank the people responsible for putting this State Tournament together over the last few years and compliment their decision to rotate the site every year so that all areas of the state and their youth programs can benefit from the influx of cash generated from this fine tournament ! Keep up the good work !

January 31, 2000
comments: To all predictors-seers-and psycic fans... All the speculation is fun but anything can happen between now and state tournament time. On my little middle school team this year we lost 2 starters to grades one to bruised ribs had a broken thumb several sick with flu and one captain (28-4 until that day) felled by a mystery illness the day of our biggest tournament that required a trip to the emergency room. Also not everyone despite their best efforts always makes weight. So in short until the tournament is over who is to say what will transpire. I wish none of the aforementioned calamities upon any team. I sincerly hope that each school has its best wrestlers at regionals and state. Here's hoping that they all wrestle to the best of their abilities and put on a show in the civic center.

January 31, 2000
comments: Phil Kesner did not get pinned by Efaw it was gabbert in the Grafton vs Frankfort match

January 31, 2000
comments: The teams from Ohio in the WV-Ohio duals at Ravenswood were all from the eastern part of the state. I wonder how those West Virginia teams would do against schools from other parts of Ohio? In my book it would be Ohio dominating and not West Virginia if other schools went to Ravenswood.

January 31, 2000
comments: i here cameron only has about 15 wrestlers out this year i quess it would be tough on them with as many injuries as they have i guess that is where a team like oak glen with 45-50 wrestlers really have the advantage when it comes to the states. they should really separate the aa and single a or at least put the upper half ( attendance wise ) with the triple a teams and see how they compete

January 31, 2000
comments: what school holds the record for most championships in a decade? hopefully they will add one more in Huntington on Feb 26. is it SOUTH does anyone know

January 31, 2000
comments: In the Petersburg Smash Frankfort wieghed in 2 145s Kesner and Gabbert(jv). Kesner wrestled the first night aginst Clay-Battelle Liberty Harrison and Braxton. Kesner could not be there on the 2nd day so Gabbert wrestled aginst Webster South Harrison Berekley Springs Petersburg and Grafton.

January 31, 2000
comments: I wanted to thank Stef Montgomery for the kind things she said about the Harpers Ferry and Spencer wrestling teams. It's always nice to receive a compliment about your team but when it comes from one of your coaching peers it means so much more. It was a very classy act by a coach who has always shown class with her team and it is greatly appreciated!

January 31, 2000
comments: I just wanted to congratulate Dallas Nibert for his teams second place finish at the Cabell County Championships. His accomplishments at Barboursville middle school this year are amazing. It's good to see people like Dallas doing so well. Lots of luck in the future.

January 31, 2000
comments: I know everyone is here to mouth off about their team but please call John Flint (1-304-420-9610) and if South Wrestlers are willing and well rested no one in the great state of West Virginia can compete with South. McGuffy had 6 wrestlers beat South and South had 7 wrestlers beat McGuffy. Any team who thinks they can beat McGuffy call them also. State is 24 days away and I can't wait to see everyone who keeps bad mouthing South wrestling as a team and a program regret everything they have ever typed. The South Fans are not cocky believe me they just back up what their team brings to the mat. South is an all around winter sports school does any other shcool in the state have girls and boys basketball teams ranked #1 and #3 along with a WRESTLING TEAM THAT IS #1. Didn't think so. There may be some good individual wrestlers in the state but not a team like South. So good luck to everyone in 24 days.

January 31, 2000
comments: Did anyone out there manage to catch the Mountain State Youth League Wrestling tournament this past Saturday at Herbert Hoover High School. One of the things that caught my eye was the 11-12 year old unlimited weight class. There were only two kids in it so they made them wrestle the best 2 out of 3 matches for the league championship. The two kids were Chris Burger and Seth Cook. I have been watching these two kids wrestle all year long and Chris had been the dominant one for most of the time. Chris had won the first two and was winning 7-3 with about 30 seconds left and Seth got a takedown and put him on his back. Seth was a former 2x state champion until he sat out last year and attempted to come back this year. he looked good for sitting out a year. Sure he missed a couple of steps but for the most part it looked as if he had been doing it his whole life. Well these were two of the best matches up there. Chris won the first one 8-0 and the second 8-2. Then after the match chris and his older brother embraced each other on the edge of the mat. That was the coolest thing. The whole year his older brother has coached him to victory but Saturday he got the biggest one of his short career. CONGRATULATIONS CHRIS BURGER ON A JOB WELL DONE.

January 31, 2000
comments: i see on here we have Williamstown beating Beallsville down in Ravenswood. I noticed on the OHIO web page they have the scores of Cameron and Beallsville with Beallsville winning the duel 40-36. Very interesting stuff i must say.

January 31, 2000
comments: I just want to say that Parkersburg South looked very strong against Mcguffey on Saturday and that they have nothing to be ashamed of. Also I am a big wrestling fan and want to tell Matt Bosley to hang in there and don't let that match mess you up you did very well. Hope you good-luck in Wednesday duel. You can do it think positive and keep up the good work.

January 31, 2000
comments: How could Kesner from Frankfort win the Viking Smash if the results show he lost to Efaw from Grafton? It even said in the Gra vs Fra score that Efaw was the champion at 8-0. But the Smash results say he took third.
Help????
Editor's note: I agree that the results had a few people scratching their head. Some corrections were called to my attention last night, and, frankly, I made the corrections but forgot to upload the corrected (I think) document. What is posted now is the best information I have.

January 31, 2000
comments: Is there going to be full results of the ohio weest virginia dual. Bealsville had one wrestler place in the OVAC, 130 who got 4th, and as a team placed 22 out of 34 overall.

January 31, 2000
comments: Tonight is the Fairmont senior - North marion dual at 7:00

January 31, 2000
comments: Once again a West Virginia high school dominates the field in the WV-Ohio duals in Ravenswood this past weekend. Williamstown defeated a strong team in the finals from Bealsville Ohio. This makes the third straight year that a West Virginia team has taken the team trophy home with Ritchie county being crowned champions the last two years. Maybe this is a great way to say that West Virginia can compete with schools outside of the state (not only compete but also dominate). The tournament has a great concept but can improve on a couple of things. The coaches and directors from Ravenswood can be commended on a great job. And I do have to say that the new building at Ravenswood is one of the best I have ever seen. It made the tournament run alot smoother than the past couple of years.

January 31, 2000
Comments: Fairmont Senior 2X State Champ Nicholas Hedrick holds the state wins record with 165 wins.

January 31, 2000
comments: about the 135 pound weight class and to the person saying anyone can win it just depends on who is on and who isn't. That is not true. It is nice but it is just a two man tournament. But from the past two matches with you and Mayle I still am not convenced that the best man has won. I think 3 is a charm. Good Luck Joey.

January 31, 2000
comments: The coaches rankings are compiled by a panel of coaches composed of at least one coach from each region. These are not intended to be the final word but rather information and a topic of discussion that fans throughout the state can discuss. If they were the final word we wouldn't need to have a state championship. The coaches attempt to rank the kids the best they can but in certain instances there are cases where wrestlers have split with each other and scored one point decisions which makes rankings difficult. There are other instances like with an Anthony Regalbuto where he is a prohibitive favorite based upon his performance. But please remember that these were started as a way to increase interest in wrestling. This was not started to anger fans. If they are angry or feel an athlete has been shorted then you can still have the last laugh in Huntington. Enjoy discuss the rankings but keep them in perspective.

January 31, 2000
comments: the fairmont senior - north marion wrestling match was postponed due to inclement weather it is re-scheduled for monday jan 31st at 7 pm
but from the looks of it right now that too may be postponed as it is snowing badly here in fairmont

January 31, 2000
comments: Cameron did not fill a full team at the Bellaire tourny on Sat. 103(Ross) was sick 112(Fullerton) did not make weight 119(Brown) was injured 125(Hughes wrestled) 130(Kupfer) wrestled 135(O'Neil) was injured 140(Lucey) was injured l45(Hughes) wrestled 152(McElvain) wrestled 160(O'Neil) wrestled 171(Wood) was injured 189(Myers) wrestled 215 wrestled and HWT is a forfeit. A school as small as Cameron has a hard time filling the gaps when wrestlers are out.

January 31, 2000
comments: I have been a Parkersburg South Wrestling fan ever since I moved here nearly 6 years ago.,,, I am now becoming a Cabell Midland fan. Thank You.
I would like to say that I think and hope Cabell Midland will dominate and win the state this year. And upset Parkersburg South.

January 31, 2000
comments: Congrats to Matt Easter of Nitro on defeating Jonathan Delligatti of Fairmont Sr by the decision of 8-2
Good Job Keep the good work up!!

January 30, 2000
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: Response to Jr. wrestling parent. I can't speak for Oak Glen but I do have a response from East Fairmont. East Fairmont has run a successful pee-wee tournament on the same day as the states for years. There are several reasons for this. One of them being we can bring in great competition from southwestern Pa. We enjoy the great competition. The Pa. teams must like it too they travel quite a bit to return year after year. Oak Glen as you can tell has a successful high school team. This starts with a successful pee-wee program. No one should fault their personal selection of that weekend to host their tournament. They appear to know what they are doing. Not all good competition comes from Wood Co. area.

January 30, 2000
comments: FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO CONGRADULATE THE BOBCAT WRESTLING TEAM ON AN OUTSTANDING SEASON. THEY ENTERED ALL THE TOURNAMENTS THAT THE WOOD COUNTY SYSTEM WOULD ALLOW THEM AND THEY CAME OUT ON TOP ALL THREE TIMES. THE ONLY SET BACK WAS A CLOSE DUAL MATCH AGAINST THE EDISON EAGLES.(WHICH IN MY OPINION TELLS THE KIDS NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU THINK YOU ARE THEIR IS ALWAYS SOMEBODY BETTER.) CONGRADULATION BOYS!!!

SECONDLY I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL THE PARENTS THAT SUPPORTED US AND WAS THERE ANYTIME WE NEEDED THEM. THE PROGRAM CANT BE A SUCCESS WITHOUT YOU. FINALLY I WOULD LIKE TO THANK BRENT FOR HIS DEDICATION IN WHAT HE IS DOING FOR JR. HIGH WRESTLING. AS FOR PLACING BLENNERHASETT AT THE TOP OF THE LIST I SAY "THANKS AND I COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU MORE" HOWEVER REMEMBER ITS ONLY A POLL. THE REAL POLL IS SETTLED WHEN ALL THE TEAMS CAN FACE EACH OTHER ON THE MAT. TILL THEN CONGRADULATIONS TO ALL THE TOP RANKED TEAMS. THIS TELLS ME THAT YOU ALL MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

January 30, 2000
comments: http://wvaa.homepage.com

January 30, 2000
comments: Just a few questions. How is the coaches poll picked? Do they have all the the kids records? Is it only off of the internet scores? Does each coach submit their record books? Who are the people that make the decision? Suppose they (whoever they is) don't have access to individual records? Most of these kids haven't even met up with each other yet.

January 30, 2000
email: bos3@wirefire.com
comments: In response to RLSTRO
I would like to thank RLSTRO for the nice complements towards me whether I win a state championship or not will be determined who is on and who is not at 135. All the 135 wrestlers are just as qualified to win. The state is only twenty four minutes of the rest of my life. Good luck to all the 135 pounders and to Parkersburg South to win the team championship.

January 30, 2000
comments: Did anyone who made the AAA rankings even know gw(George Washington in charleston) had a wrestling team. it is true that there are only three people on it but their 189 Andrew Marshall has at least 20 more wind than he does losses and i know for a fact he beat the guy from hedgesville who is ranked 10th also their 275 pounder Jody Pauley has an impressive record also

January 30, 2000
We, the parents of the Cabell Midland wrestlers, would like to thank Coach Archer and the Huntington High School Wrestling Team for sharing their West Virginia Coach and transporting our wrestlers to the tournament at John Marshall a couple weeks ago. Thanks again.

January 30, 2000
comments: Is someone from Petersburg planning to post the results of the Viking Smash? If it's not planned will you consider it? Thank you!

January 30, 2000
comments: Does anyone know what the state win record is?

January 30, 2000
comments: A big congratulations to CHRISTOPHER WADE MILES upon his fantastic performance Saturday at Herbert Hoover High School. Chris is a member of the Mountain State Youth Wrestling Team. He became champion of the 9-10 year old 75 pound bracket upon pinning a first-class wrestler, 2X Jr. State Champion who was Undefeated for last two years until Saturday. We are so very proud of you Chris!!!

January 30, 2000
comments: what happened to cameron wrestlers at the bellaire tournament i heard they got fourth. no scores in the paper or anywhere else. and what happened with p. south and mcguffy pa. please post something
thank you
Editor's note: PSouth and McGuffey posted this AM. There are a bunch of scores we are interested in, including but not limited to BU, FS, Nitro, and Huntington from Friday; NM-FS from the 20th; Brooke, FS, PHS, WP from the 26th; and a whole truckload of scores from Saturday. I'm hoping some of these scores will filter in in coming days. I regret not seeing Oak Glen when they were in Kingwood Saturday -- had to make a choice between staying in town for the OG-NM-JM-Preston quad or attending my youngest son's Jr Hi Conference Championship at Philippi. I chose to go to Philippi and let my older son row his own boat for the day...

January 30, 2000
email: comments for the forum
comments: All the hoopla about the polls. The polss are just a bunch of people who get together and pick people they think are going to win. I'm with the other guy if you're not in the polls don't sweat it. Just make up your mind you want to win and just do it!!!! Polls aren't guaranteed. Anyone can win depending on how bad they want it. By the way a typo on Braxton's total of wins 26-0. Prove the polls wrong and just wrestle hard. Most of all by no means let the polls discourage you even the best get beat!! Wrestling is supposed to be fun not a bunch of statistics.

January 30, 2000
comments: Where have Jimmy Johnson and Jason Hayhurst been? Are they seriously injured or very sick? Please answer these questions cause I look for them to be in the finals at states but if they are hurt apparently they cant be there.

January 30, 2000
comments: Mike Bosley is an outstanding wrestler but let's not forget that South has quite a few. Matt Bosley Chris Daggett Casey Daggett and Clint Radcliff are all candidates for a championship. GO SOUTH!

January 30, 2000
comments: It is a shame that 135 AAA can only have one winner at the State this year. You will not find two higher qualiy young men than Joey Mayle and Paul Brooks. On and off the Mat they both show true sportmanship.
Good luck and hope you meet in the Finals

January 30, 2000
comments: Congratulations to David Kuhn from Moundsville Junior High at wrestling #116 for completing a flawles season at 28-0.

January 30, 2000
email: pes230@aol.com
comments: Congratulations to Moundsville for winning the Shadyside OH. Tournament. Moundsville achieved this victory wrestling as a Middle School. They faced fierce competition from the 13 teams from Ohio and one other WV team. It was a great ending to a great year!!!! The Trojans will only lose 3 varsity wrestlers this coming year and are looking forward to a strong season next year. Look out next year. The success of the team is due to the dedication and hard work of the wrestlers. Thank You for a great year.
Coach Simmons and Coach Corley

January 30, 2000
comments: PLEASE...Let's keep this forum upbeat. It should be positive and informative for our young athletes. Instead it's starting to sound like the WWF!

January 30, 2000
comments: hey i just wanted to congradulate the wrestlers of BARBOURSVILLE MIDDLE SCHOOL they had a grEAT season and especially the county champions levi mo beef merritt andy reynolds chad warner and 2nd place nathan nibert haha

January 30, 2000
email: tarasuemccartney@hotmail.com
comments: I have only written a comment for this forum a couple of times and the two times that I have I have only said words of encouragement for the boys. But as I was reading the random comments tonight I read the comment from the "anonymous" person about South's team and the way they wrestle off. I have to tell you that I laughed out loud when I read it. I mean here is a person that won't even state their name and one that doesn't even know for sure what he or she is talking about because obviously it was stated that they "heard" how South was wrestling off. HELLO?! First of all I just happen to KNOW that South has a line of very fair coaches that care about every kid on that team...they don't play favorites and they don't ask people that have won to not wrestle. Secondly by stating things that you have "heard" you are starting rumors and that is not fair to anyone...not the readers not the wrestlers and not the coaches. Please do a little more research before you post comments! Also to ask where the South Boosters are makes me laugh because I can tell you that South's boosters are very vocal people and if they feel strongly about something you better believe it will be heard. So I hope this answers any questions you have about South's program but if you have any more questions my address is stated above right below my name.

January 30, 2000
email: bsspeak@hotmail.com
comments: Congratulations to 171 pound Ravenswood wrestler Jeremy Nester on your 100th career win during a 4-0 day in the annual WV-Ohio duals in Ravenswood. Congrats also go to 112 pound Ash Gandee for a 4-0 day and taking home the Most Valuable Wrestler trophy (three pins in a total of 58 seconds) and 145 pound Adam Schindler for remaining undefeated (29-0) in spite of battling a bad case of the flu.

January 30, 2000
comments: MANY TIMES WE OFTEN OVER LOOK WHAT MAKES AN ATHLETE SPECIAL OR A "SUPERSTAR". SINCE BECOMING ACQUAINTED WITH MIKE BOSELEY OF THE PARKERSBURG SOUTH PATRIOTS I UNDERSTAND WHY HE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL ON AND OFF THE MAT. HIS WORK ETHIC AND DEDICATION TO HIS SPORT IS A MODEL FOR YOUNGER ATHLETES AND PEERS TO FOLLOW. HIS SPORTSMANSHIP IS ALSO IMPECCABLE. THIS WEEKEND IN A VERY TIGHT MATCH AGAINST A McGUFFEY WRESTLER MIKE DISPLAYED THE CORRECT MENTAL ATTITUDE AND SPORTSMANSHIP WHEN THE OPPOSITION WAS USING UNDESIRABLE TACTICS. MIKES ACCOMPLISHMENTS WILL PROBABLY CULMINATE WITH A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP NEXT MONTH AND THERE WON'T BE ANYONE CHEERING ANY LOUDER THAN ME. EVEN THOUGH I'M A BIG RED SUPPORTER I'LL ALWAYS CHEER FOR YOUNG MEN LIKE MIKE. IT'S NOT ALWAYS HOW MUCH YOU LOVE BUT HOW MUCH YOU ARE LOVED. YOU'VE GOT THE SUPPORT OF A WHOLE COMMUNITY MIKE GOOD LUCK.

January 30, 2000
comments: I just want to say that everyone is making a big deal about rankings and they dont really matter in my opinion anyone who complains about the polls shouldnt really be ranked number one because you should know how good you are and should want to be ranked lower so people may over look you. And if its about respect trust me you'll get that when the state rolls around no one is gonna remember the rankings after the state is over but they will still remember the state champ for a long time.

January 30, 2000
comments: CONGRATULATIONS EAGLES FOR THE WIN AT PETERSBURG THIS WEEKEND. AS A TEAM 28-0. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EAGLES. THANKS COACH BEANE AND COACH SHUMAN FOR HAVING THE DEDICATION AND COMMTMENT YOU HAVE WITH THE BRAXTON COUNTY EAGLES. GO EAGLES. WE ARE ALL VERY VERY PROUD OF YOU!!! BEST OF LUCK AT THE LKC'S.

January 30, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Travis McCartney for recently getting his 100th win!

January 30, 2000
email: rldt@aol.com
comments: The State Tournament in Belle was designed to give the most opportunity to the largest number of youths. It adds 10 weight classes and 1 age division to the normal tournament format. After wrestling the same brackets all season long this offers everyone a different match up. We have a new High School (Riverside High) and a motivated support group interested in putting on the best tournament possible for the youth of WV. We would appreciate your support and your comments
Thanks Mt. State Jr. Wrestling League

January 30, 2000
comments: Chris Leach Congratulations on your 100th win as a junior. Keep it up.

January 30, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Cammack Middle for winning the Cabell Co. wrestling championships yesterday. You guys are excellent wrestlers and a class act. There's not an arrogant or rude kid on your team. They are all true sports. I wish my team (Milton) could have kept things a little closer but it was not to be. We'll just cut our losses and rebuild for next season. Also thanks to Coach O'Neal and Enslow Middle for hosting a well run and smooth tournament.
J. LeMaster
Milton Middle Coach

January 30, 2000
comments: i would like to say great job trent casto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!for the big win over bonasso!!!!!!!!!!you guys at bu keep up the hard work n.c.a.c champs in the making. andy travise had a great match last night but we all know who the better wrestler was.if i was the ref barnes would of been pined. you guys are really improving. i hope baisden feels better i really thought cinalli had his work cut out for him. good luck at N.C.A.C's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 30, 2000
comments: I want to congratulate my teammates on winning the county and how hard they worked to win.we had 10 guys in the finals and 6 of us win.Cammack has had a great year this year and hopefully many more good teams to come.

January 30, 2000
email: MFriderfan@aol.com
comments: Jr. High Wrestling Parent-
I've been to the Oak Glen Wrestling Tourney Twice and can assure you the level of competition is excellent with many fine wrestlers from Ohio and Pa. participating. W.Va. does not have a true Jr. High State Championship Tourney. While I'm sure the wrestling Tourney in Parkersburg and elsewhere that label themselves as state tourney's are excellent those participating are dillusional if they view themselves as true state champions.

January 30, 2000
comments: why did jim gaines not wrestle vs. parkerburg south?

January 30, 2000
email: jmetz@rtol.net
comments: I am probably one of if not the only female wrestling coach in West Virginia. So if for no other reason listen to my commentary. As far as I am concerned Harper's Ferry has a class A wrestling program. Their athlete's have a solid skill base and their coaches don't have to command respect because it's a given. Our wrestlers Braxton County Midddle School saw them in four tournaments during the season and each time I not only appreciated their sportsmanship but the fact that they helped our team to reach another level. In the same respect Spencer Middle School had a solid middle school team this year. Coach Wayne Jarvis and entourage (Coach Toby and their super athletic trainer) had a team to be reckoned with and again were a class act. How about their 3rd place finish in the WSAZ? I hope Coach Gary Bender appreciates Coach Jarvis' work as much as I do. I'm sure he does!!!!! What a great season! See you guys again next year.

January 30, 2000
comments: I would first like to give huge congrats to BJHS and EJHS. Both teams did an outstanding job at county. Next I would like to say way to go to Parkersburg South. Every wrestler is working hard and doing great keep it up. Plus GOOD LUCK Saturday!!!

January 30, 2000
comments: I was wondering if someone could tell me what is going on with the South wrestling team? What is up with eliminations??? I have heard stories that boys are eliminating and winning and then being ask to let the loser wrestle in their place. Come on!!! Also having to eliminate more than once to let someone else get on the team. SOUTH BOOSTERS------Where are you?

January 30, 2000
comments: Oh yes it is possible to have that many good wrestlers in one weight class and in one division. I am speaking of the concern about the state's 171 lb. class. All wrestler's in this weight class have already proven themselves this year in competition against each other and opposing teams either at the Wheeling Duals and/or at the Winner's Choice Tournament. Don't forget that this is just a poll and how the coaches felt the rankings were at this point in the season. Please note the criteria that are involved in deciding these rankings. One is place finishings in states last year. Miller Courtney and Jackson are three from Region 2 who based on that criteria alone should be on the list not to mention the other two Head to Head Competition and Common Opponent. Add the fact that Morton has crushed most of his competition except Miller and Courtney and has beaten Jackson he belongs. Boetjer's 4th place finish at Winner's Choice (5th if Courtney wasn't sick) makes him more viable than any other canidates from other regions. Unfortunatly only four will be going to states from region 2 so someone will take a fall during regionals. My picks at 171 for region 2 are Miller Courtney Jackson & Morton. As a matter of fact that may be the way it looks on the scoreboard when states are over. My son wrestled 171 this year and it has been a grueling weight class. As for the person who found the coaches observations a little hard to digest who's your picks?

January 30, 2000
From: EX-College wrestler and currently High School Coach
comments: To Jr. wrestling Parent
I like the way you shadow your disrespectful comment with your with choice of words. "DISERVICE!" How discreet! It amazing how people are led to beleive that pee-wee states are so important. I agree with pee-wees gaining experience thru wrestling but creating a pee-wee state tournament takes away from the thrill of the high school state tourney. I wonder what the ratio is of pee-wee wrestlers who win Pee-wee states that grow up to be High School state Champions. People put to much emphasis on winning at an early age which inturn leads to pee-wees quiting by the time they get to high school. And in turn since I got started Parents who make pee-wees cut weight are doing a "DISERVICE" to their children. Pee-wee sports are supposed to be looked upon by the young as "PLAY!" And that inturn encourages the longevity of the sport amongst the youth. I am sure Oak glen and East Fairmont did NOT appreciate your comments.

January 30, 2000
comments: Why do people keep getting on this forum and saying that the only reason South is number one is because there is only this many teams in the region and blah blah blah this and blah blah that....South is an awesome wrestling team with a very great coaching staff and the wrestlers practice and wrestle just as hard as any other team does to win. They are NOT over rated I know I am getting defensive but this is my school and I will always be a Patriot and if your school was being talked bad about like mine you would care too!! SOuth is ranked number one for a reason because they want to win and they are determined to win because they want to be champs. And....to the guy who said that South and all these other teams get all good calls when they "want or need" them that is the ref's fault...dont go blame it on the boys who are out there wrestling the ref's are making the calls. I know a certain school (not metioning any names) that always get the calls they want in any ! sport that they play......that is my opinion on everything that i have been hearing lately. Go South!!

January 30, 2000
comments: In response to Dean Moore's comments on youth wrestling to all you bickering/arguing parents Highschool and Youth both If you people would apply your anger in a positive way instead of at each other I am sure it would benefit your sons and coaching staff tremendously In the past I and many other coaches have had to act as mediators between you all "Know Your Roll" the small amount of time we have needs to be spent wisely not foolishly. 70% of there wrestling ability is learned before highshool like Dean said " it takes good kids good parents and good coaches to improve".

January 28, 2000
comments: Only 11 times in the 51 year history of WV state tournament has the title not belonged to a region 1 school. So you want to tell me that all of that is just luck and only having 7 schools in the region???? There is a lot of pride and tradition in Region 1. If you're a good wrestler is shouldn't matter how many kids are in your weight class. Right??

January 28, 2000
comments: Casey Daggett is under rated. He tech falled the kid who beat Moats by 2. Please reconsider when doing the rankings. State is 28 days away. Moats and Daggett final would be nice.

January 28, 2000
comments: I just wanted to say that I think it's great that the Jr. State tournament to be held in Belle WV is changing the weight classes around. I travel all over the eastern U.S. and everywhere I go the weight classes vary somewhat. However most of the larger tournaments have a lot of weight classes and also put a limit on the heavyweight class. I have a child who is usually the smallest heavyweight and it concerns me to make him wrestle a kid who outweighs him as much as 60 lbs. Most if not all tournaments in the Parkersburg area ignore putting a limit on the heavyweight class. Congratulations to Belle Wv tournament directors!! Competition amoung the tournaments will only make it better for us all. I also wanted to express my sadness for the East Fairmont and Oak Glen youth tournaments being scheduled on the same day as the Parkersburg States. I think you do a disservice to your own teams by not allowing them to compete in what has historically been the premier tournament in all of West Virginia!

January 28, 2000
comments: Seems that someone from region 2 thinks South is handed the state championship each year because of only 7 teams in region 1?The state champion in fact does come from region 1 most years which says something. This year South has 10 wrestlers ranked in the top 7 in the state according to the latest AAA coaches poll. I beleive they have a good chance to qualify 11 or 12 wrestlers for state. The competion is the very best in the state at the region 1 level and I'm sure that other teams would be welcomed including region 2. How can you explain the 3rd or 4th place finisher in region 1 knocking off so many regional champs and runner-ups? This is how state championships are won-not by the number of teams but quality wrestlers !!

January 28, 2000
comments: keep your head up joey mayle everyone here at cumberland U pulling for u kid. goodluck at states

January 28, 2000
comments: comments: In regard to the Buckhannon-upshur fan and their fine 135lber Joey Mayle I feel your answer was delivered in the recent AAA coaches poll where Joey is ranked 2nd behind Mike Bosely of South. Last night(1-27) I witnessed 1st hand their second meeting and it was worth the price of admission! Mayle led Bosley 2-1 with about 1 minute remaining. Bosley then became the aggressor and scored a takedown and fall at the mats edge with about 30 seconds remaining. I beleive these 2 will meet in the state finals if the brackets fall in their favor-and a great final it would be!

January 28, 2000
comments: I was just looking at the coaches predictions and I noticed that at 171 they have ranked 5 people from the same region there is no way this could transpire!

January 28, 2000
comments: to J H
I like your predictions but what about Hughes at 152. He handily defeated Kosloski at state last year. Also Zuccolotto was wrestling 160 for Weir but I have heard reports that he is no longer with the team.

January 28, 2000
comments: PARKERSBURG SOUTH PATRIOTS ARE GREAT!!!!! ALL SEASON LONG THIS TEAM HAS CONTINUED TO DOMINATE THE MAT. THEIR EARLY PERFORMANCES WERE GREAT BUT IF YOU HAVE CONTINUED TO FOLLOW THEM IT JUST GETS BETTER AND BETTER. THEY NOT ONLY TOOK 1ST AT THE WINNERS CHOICE BUT AGAIN AT WSAZ. UNBELIEVABLE!!! THEY ALSO SLAUGHTERED WIRT COUNTY WARREN OHIO NORTH MARION AND BUCKHANNON UPSHER AT RECENT HOME MATCHES. THE PATRIOTS DEFINATLY RULE THE MAT. GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND AGAINST ROBERT C. BYRD AND MCGUFFY PA (#4 RANKED IN THE NATION) YOU CAN DO IT GUYS!! WRESTLE HARD AND STAY FOCUSED!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!

January 28, 2000
comments: Congratulations to the Edison Jr. High Eagles on taking the 1st place Regular season Trophey!! Good Job!! Also congrates on 1st runner up at the county tournament. Edison had 4 individual 1st place county champs. BRYCE PICKENS KYLE WALTERS DANNY CARPENTER AND WES YOUNG!!!! Way to go!!! You all had a great season good luck at the state tournament. special thanks to a super coaching staff head coach Marvin Pickens and assistants Mr. Beaty and Wes Pickens.

January 28, 2000
comments: i thought i would point out something.... did anybody notice....but at the wsaz's which way all the calls were going..i mean i'll bite my tongue and not say anything to the refs...but it seemed a little blatant..if you were a smaller school you didn't get the calls...huntington cabell and south got every call they wanted/needed...not to take away from the athletes on those teams...all were top knotch athletes. but when they came up against tough opponents the match was taken out of there hands and put in the put into the ref's... i watched one match where a kid gave up 7 penalty points in one match...most in one round... guess who he was wrestling and beating before the ref started handing out points like candy... a kid from hunington...that is one case of many...the refs were not consistent on calls....awarding takedowns in one situation and and denying it in the next....you may say heck everyone makes a mistake and i grant that....but the number of times it happened...and he wrestlers it happened with rules that out.....somebody email me and tell me what they think

January 28, 2000
comments: I agree with "A Wrestler" you shouldn't put your injuries on the net. Becasue one time I lost to somebody 17-2 but then I found out he had a bad shoulder. So when we wrestled in the regional semi-finals i knew the only way i was going to be able to beat him was to work on his shoulder. So for two periods I went to work on the shoulder. And after several injury timeouts he was forced to forfiet the match. So it isn't smart to let anyone know where u are hurting. When i wrestled I wouldn't even tell my teammates for fear someone might just find out. I just kept the pain to myself and took care of it at home.

January 28, 2000
Editor's note: Look for the AA/A Coaches Individual Poll middle of next week...

January 28, 2000
comments: these are my predictions:

103           112             119
1st  zubay o.g.     gandee rav.     brown cam
2nd  morris cal.     auvil graf.    haddox will.

125          135               140
wenmoth will.       cross wirt       prather win.
hughes  cam.        childers st.m     glass o.g.

145            152              160
shindler rav.         litten frank.    oneil cam.
koslosky rit.          toth s.h.       hardway brax.

171             189                    215
nestor rav.           kuykendall frank.      busick weir.

naylor rit.
            caughey o.g.

January 28, 2000
email: Siamese918@aol.com
comments: my last message was a little to bad so they didnt post so Ill say it nicer this time. Harpers should be ranked 1st in the state. We are the only undefeated team. We are the only team to travel as far as we traveled. Now we are ranked third. Blenerhasset took first who lost to a team ranked 5th now third(Edison)Now they say The Tigers should wrestle Blenehasset for first. Chances are we wont go cause we've traveled so far and dont want to travel anymore. I think Ater should let them come to The Harpers Ferry Invintational and settel it their. How bout that Mr. Ater....

January 28, 2000
comments: Please re-check your addition on the Moundsville Beckley-Stratton total without the forfeits. It is on the score page on this website and adds up to 33-21. At 83 Beckley-Stratton had the lead with 14 seconds to go in the match and gave up 4 points as the buzzer sounded to lose by 2. At 116 it was a 1 point match throughout then with 30 seconds to go Beckley's wrestler got stuck for a fall. Actual matches wrestled Moundsville 6 Beckley-Stratton 5. A win for Moundsville no doubt but "soundly beaten" I'm not sure about that one. There is no question a full team is a better duals team ! We know that when forfeiting 4 weight classes it is difficult to win duals but 4 or 5 wrestlers can win a state tournament if they place high enough. While a full team that loses half of it's qualifiers in the first round and the rest in the next 2 rounds isn't going to place as high as the 5 "Heavy-Hitters" as Doc Miller called them. Both types of competition are considered by the poll Brent Sams has done. Moundsville has a great program and team ! But please don't make it sound like Beckley-Stratton doesn't deserve their ranking. 2nd at the Beckley Newspapers Inv. 3rd at The Clash of Champions 1st at the Richwood Duals 1st at the Andrew Jackson Inv. 3rd at the WSAZ tournament and 1st at the Raleigh Co. Championships says different........

January 28, 2000
comments: People shouldn't put their injuries on the net because someone else could see what happened and hurt them even worse than what they were before.

January 28, 2000
email: wvpatriot@prodigy.net
comments: I find it very disturbibg that the Junior State Tournament in the southern part of the state has changed weight classes around. I will always believe that the Junior State Wrestling Tournament is in Parkersburg. I did enjoy wrestling the kids at the spinoff state tournament last year and might go this year. I wish that all the coaches would worry about getting their kids ready for high school rather than bickering and arguing among themselfs. I am not into this sport to take home dust collecting trophies. My objective is to work hard with good kids good parents and good coaches. I have heard rumors that alot of teams are not going to the state tournament in Belle . Please someone get back to me and let me know what is going on and if things are that bad please come to Parkersburg for the State tournament. I will also be at the Belle tournament if things get straightened out.The State Tournament in Belle also is on the same day as the Eastern National Championship Qualifier at Brooke High School. The Qualifier at Stow Ohio has been cancelled so this make things tough to be at both places at the same time. Thank you and i hope that i havent made anyone mad with this. it takes good Kids good parents and good coaches to improve the quality of the West Virginia kids so lets all work togeather and have fun!!

January 28, 2000
comments: Region 2 Wrestler:
Now I understand why you do not want to talk about the past. You do not have the tradition that South has. To date Hedgesville has had 3 State Champs. South has had 49 in their 32 year history including 6 three time state champs. They have also been the team champ 10 times. But you know the reason they have all these trophies is they have only 7 teams in their region. But that is all in the past. Maybe it would be good if the Northern and Eastern Panhandles and Wood County could make up Region 1. It could be interesting.I hope you have a good tournament!!

January 28, 2000
comments: i would like to thank coach kleman and coach dobbins for bringing wrestling back to clay. clay had a wrestler place in their first state tournament after being absent from action for eight years. they again have a few wrestlers that should place in this years states. that is an exellent compliment to the coaches considering that there is no peewe team and there wasn`t a middle school team until this year. once again i just want to thank you guys for the great work

January 28, 2000
comments: when checking the college scores on wrestlingreport.com I saw that not only did Kinley place 4th at 184 the W&J tournament but that Purpura placed 2nd at 165. Someone who knows either of these two should keep us updated on their results. Wrestlingreport.com doesn't keep up too much on DIvision III results. It is nice to see some WV wrestlers have some success at the next level.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page