West Virginia High

School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- March 2002 Forum

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

March 31, 2002
comments: The best wrestlers to come out of WV would have to be Ken Chertow (Olympian and NCAA All American), Mark Samples (NCAA All American), and Mike Mason (NCAA All American). Most of the other wrestlers that have been mentioned might have been great HIGH SCHOOL wrestlers but what did they accomplish beyond high school on the college level or internationally? For some reason the Parkersburg area always has great wrestling and a great fan base, so why don't those wrestlers go on to wrestle in college or beyond?

March 31, 2002
comments: What to do with old trophies,
I live in parkersburg and the local YWCA takes old trophies and reuses them for events that they put on.

March 31, 2002
comments: top 3 in the past 20 years
1. mike lantz
2. doug moore
3. jason trusty

March 31, 2002
comments: heres my three picks for the top 3 wrestlers in the last 20 years
1. aaron flemming of phs i believe he was the best hwt in the history of west virginia wrestling
2.jason ward from cabbel midland, he man handled almost everybody he wrestled, no matter who it
was 3.matt george of phs was the most intense wrestler i had ever watched, i think he was the best 119 in the past 20 years

March 31, 2002
comments: Are there any senior wrestlers planning to wrestle at WVU or West Liberty next year?

March 31, 2002
comments: I have an opinion on some of the top wretslers in the past 20 yrs. You definetly have to say its Mike Mason for sure andthe other 2 would have to be PHS wrestlers there are so many tough ones over the years think about steve higgins mike lantz doug rexroad matt stevens and matt george if you dont add them as some of the greatest wv wrestlers of all time you must be outside your mind.

March 31, 2002
comments: Re: Mom in a small house
Our house burned down this past season and alot of my son's trophies were burned. I took the metal plates off them and put them all on one piece of finished wood. This gets rid of the trophies but you can put the plaque on the wall and save space plus have all the memories

March 31, 2002
email: Wrestling-Camps@usa.com comments: Check this site out
www.Wrestling-Camps.com
National Wrestling Camps search over 130 camps listed. If you know of a camp that is not listed please e-mail us.

March 29, 2002
comments: Winning the NCAA D-I tournament is a rare accomplishment, but doing so as a redshirt freshmen is unbelievable. Congratulations to Greg and to Cael Sanderson for finishing his college career at 159-0. WOW.

March 29, 2002
comments: my picks for the last 20 years are mike lantz, parkersburg aaron flemming, parkersburg scott schennerlein, parkersburg if youre wondering why all my picks are from parkersburg because i feel that those really are the three best wrestlers to come out of west virginia in the past 20 years, that,s my opinion

March 29, 2002
comments: To: nchs fan...the best to come out of WV are those you mentioned along with South's 3 time state champions Rich Underwood,Scott Moore,Darren Moore and Jason Johnson..Parkersburg High wrestlers Doug Rexroad and Mike Lantz..North Marion's Doug Moore(the only 4 time AAA champ) and most recently FS Jeff Courtney.These are only a few over the past 20 years I can think of at this time,but I'm sure there are others.Nice to remember some of the past best wrestlers!

March 29, 2002
comments: I agree that the Point Pleasant tournament was a very good tournament last weekend. Well run, and lots of kids of all ages wrestling. Looking forward to going again next year.

March 29, 2002
email: grill76@yahoo.com
comments: Christiansburg will be hosting a Freestyle Tournament on April 20th. Age divisions from Bantam to Junior will be wrestled. I have sent information to this web site and the tournament flier should be availible soon. For any questions please feel free to call Daryl Weber at 540-381-0172 or e-mail me at grill76@yahoo.com Thanks
Daryl Weber

March 29, 2002
comments: I have 3 boys, all have wrestled for several years at many, many tournaments. Any ideas on a way to put old (but nice) trophies to good use?

March 29, 2002
comments: For those who knew Jacob Stanley, I am providing a link to the obituary in the Texas Newspaper. The family has asked that donations be made to a scholarship fund rather than sending flowers. The wrestling community lost a valuable member with Jacob's untimely passing. Many of my team members were close friends and competitors. We can not always understand why things occur - perhaps heaven needed a champion. Please remember Dennis, Debby, J.P. and Justin in your prayers.
Jim LeMaster
Milton Wrestling

Scroll down about 3/4 of the page to find the right obituary.

March 27, 2002
email: JrL1218@aol.com
comments: I would like to announce that Jacob Stanley, the former wrestler for Barboursville Middle School and WSAZ champion, died this past Saturday, March 23, at the age of 15. He recently moved to Texas with his family. We are all saddened about this tragedy. Pray for his family and friends.

March 27, 2002
email: jdjhurley@hotmail.com
comments: I am from grundy va. I am looking for youth tournaments with in a 4 hour drive my address is jdjhurley@hotmail.com

March 27, 2002
comments: Is anyone going to post the results from Point Pleasant Tournament this weekend..... There were several good matches, the one that really caught everyones attention was 155- Wes Lane (140 state champ) and Blane Mayle (140 5th) Mayle beat Lane 9-6 and dominated the match taking Lane down almost at will and letting him up.

145 was also a very strong weight class.
Cabel, Huntington, Parkersburg, Buckhannon, and Parkersburg south all had a good showing there along with alot of wrestlers from ohio.

If you have the resutls please post them.

March 27, 2002
March 27, 2002
I recently attended the NCAA wrestling tournament and there were many rideout overtimes. What caught my attention is that the referee still flipped the coin if their wasn't any offensive points scored in the match. Under these circumstances an escape point is not considered an offensive point, because the bottom position is the defensive position.

During the 2001-2002 season I noticed a few wrestlers ( mainly in the higher weight classes) taking their choice in the second period to score first because they expected the match would go into the rideout. Since an escape is not an offensive move why should that person deserve choice in the rideout? I agree with the NCAA rules in this area, give credit to the person who scores offensively and if nobody scores those points, let the coin flip decide who gets the choice.

March 27, 2002
comments: I would like to know who everyone thinks are the top 3 wrestlers to come out of WV in the last 20 years? My picks are Mike Mason of Williamstown, Ken Chertow of Huntington and Jay Michaels of North Marion.

March 27, 2002
comments: The match Greg Jones of WVU wrestled in the National Championships was an exciting and technically sound. With all the respect to Greg Parker of Princeton from his accomplishments in the EIWA Conference Championship and defeating Otto Olson of Michigan in the Semifinals. They both had great seasons and Jones could possibly be a 4 times National Champion.

March 24, 2002
comments: The editor is correct. A four time state qualifier is quite an accomplishment. I asked the question about the four time state qualifiers in part because I was curious and in part because, I, as a wrestler never qualified for a state tournament. That goal I did not accomplish. I'm proud of my wrestling record, it's not great, not even a good one, but the lessons learned stay with me to this day. Please take no offense. I know the feeling. Although, as the years go by, you'll realize, that goal, not realized will be a minor disappointment and not a major one. Keep studying, working hard and enjoying wrestling by supporting or coaching local teams (pee wee, Jr. Hi or High School). It is a life changing experience. Maybe you can even start another web-site about wrestling to take some of the work off of Doc!!! Doc, thanks again for such a great web site and a forum for which to talk and discuss issues with the whole state. Three cheers to you.

March 23, 2002
comments: Eric Fisher from George Washington beat Doug Moore in the finals of WSAZ at 135lbs his senior year in 1993. Moore dropped to 135lb that tourenment

March 23, 2002
comments: Aaron Barnette and Chris Morrison have been added to the list for Senior Nationals. The list can be found on the NHSCA website. Does anyone know if Jeff Courtney is planning to attend? Also george you are very correct in the wrestlers dropping a weight class or more for this tournament. For an extreme example: A 4X champion from TN won at 135 this year but is listed at 119. I'm with you on not recommending it but the wrestlers should be aware that it is happening.

March 23, 2002
comments: Some congratulations to send out: Like to congratulate the eagles on ending the season #1 in the Herald Mail Polls also congrats to Danny Lord 1st team and Kevin Ballam honorable mention on making the Herald Team. To the young ones on the team you have the potential to get there too some day but these two worked their butts off during the offseason to get where they got. Like to congratulate Troy Foltz, Josh Grim and Justin Zimmerman who competed and did well at the AAU qualifier in Williamsport MD. Also like to congratulate Kevin Ballam, Jared Hess and Robert Jarrett and Joe Shetler who all competed in the Waynesboro PA AAU qualifier. Hope to see all you guys and some of the rest of you at The North Hagerstown MD Tournament on April 6th. I think that Hess and Moats are wrestling in it possibly. I would also like to congratulate a few non eagles on their high school season and careers. Chantz Griffith you fell short of your goal but it's been an honor to watch you wrestle and to know you. I hope to see you competing at WVU soon. Codie Gustines a great season and a future full of possibilities. Justin Kessler a BC Bear congrats on a great career and good luck in the future.

Anyway in answer to Robert Hickman. I know of two individuals from two different AAA schools in Region II that were 4 time state qualifiers and failed to place. They graduated in the past 5-6yrs. I don't feel comfortable putting their names on here as I don't know how they would feel about that. It was a great accomplishment that they were able to qualify every year but at the same token I'm sure they were probably heartbroken that they never reached their goals. So to answer your question yes there have been people who qualified all 4 yrs but failed to place. Just a comment about wrestlers who went undefeated their entire careers and Mitch Smith who has the potential to do so. Yes this a quite an accomplishment but be advised that if you plan on going on to the next level and doing well it takes much more than an impressive high school record to do so. Make sure you are getting great competition in the offseason people who can beat you and push you to excell. I have seen many people with great records who went on to college and did nothing. Likewise there are plenty of stories of people who never won their states tournament who went on to wrestle in the NCAA Division I national finals. It takes desire, dedication, and discipline both in the classroom and the wrestling room. For an example Anthony Regalbuto all offseason going up to PA and wrestling their state champs seeking out the best competition. His first day on campus at college he moved into his room and then went to practice and was doing I think 2 a day practices his first week on campus. It's this kind of determination that you will need to make it at the next level. You can not reach your full potential by wrestling in state competition that you have already beaten or dominated seek out the best competition. From what I saw of Mitch Smith he does have the potential to go undefeated his entire career and I'm looking forward to seeing his progression throughout his career. Also looking forward to seeing if he can do what no one else in WV has ever been able to do 4 years undefeated. Anyway good luck to all the eagles, bears and iron eagles this offseason and hope to see you all on the mats soon.

March 23, 2002
comments: Parkersburg South High School-established 1968.
State titles: PSHS- 13 PHS- 8(note: nine of the seventeen state titles were before the inception of PSHS)

March 23, 2002
email: pdurant@csrlink.net
comments: The National Open Wrestling Championships sponsored by the National High School Coaches Association will be held in Norfolk, VA from June 30 - July 3, 2002. Last summer the tournament attracted a record 1,481 entries in three age groups – shattering the record of 1,023 set the previous year – including 783 in the High School Division, also a record. The NHSCA is expecting record numbers of wrestlers from 48 states to compete in this year’s national tournament. High school seniors who have graduated are eligible to compete in this event.

A PA state qualifier for this event is being held in Clearfield, PA on April 13th. The top 4 place winners in each age and weight class will advance to the National Open Wrestling Championship tournament. Out-of-state entrants are accepted as this is a qualifier for a national event.

This is the only PA qualifier to also feature Olympian Ken Chertow's mini-camp and workshop. Register before March 30, 2002 and receive a free instructional video valued at $35.00. For complete details on the qualifier and mini-camp -

http://www.kenchertow.com/events/tourney_nhsca.html

March 23, 2002
comments: Danny Lord congrats on gettting journal wrestler of the year..you deserved it very much...Hope you have a good season next year as well..

March 23, 2002
comments: Who posted that i never placed in the states and why does that matter..This year i beat everybody in double that i wreslted at least once but Lobis..and I thought i had a shot i was in a bad bracket and i dislocated my shoulder my 2nd match and finished it and tried to wrestle Matt Dye...Elder got in the finals and i beat him bye 10 points at wirt.....I have nothing but respect for everybody i wrestle and i don't want to affend any body..i gave my life to wrestling and wouldn't change a minute of it. I tried harder to help my team this year than i did myself and thats fine b/c the worked hard and we won the regional which was something everybody said we couldn't do...our guys ran at night.practiced extra....and i loved helping those guys And i loved giving all the knowledge i had to them....I won 129 matches in my life and nothing to show for it individually but as time i can say i was a friend, leader, and teamate so thanks Brandon, Colby, Seth, Mark, Keith, and Matt who helped me have the best senior wrestling season i could've regradless of how i finished at huntington.
Editor's note: There are any number of wrestlers who put in four or more years on the mat and never make it to Huntington. Congratulations on a fine scholastic career....

March 23, 2002
comments: Congratulations Jeff Courtney,the 2002 Dutton Award winner as best High school wrestler in WV ! Once again Jeff you met and prevailed over every obstical in your path to yet another state tourney championship.How did you like your "South style" sendoff?Mr. Courtney...if Jeff had one more year left..we may have adopted him and put a South singlet on him...he is an exquisite young man!Thanks Jeff for all the memories you provided us over the years and good luck next season in Morgantown!

March 23, 2002
comments: Can anyone tell who is qualified for MAWA at 120 lb. advanced div. from the almost Heaven state.

March 23, 2002
comments: Ok, I've been hearing left and right about Marion county and their wrestling, it is true they have ahd some of the best teams in the past, but in a previous posting an east side supporter stated that neither north nor west "past" wrestlers could compete with the team they have now. I think this person should not go over-board. Have you forgot about doug moore, jay moore, bryan bland, johnny carper, jody ice, the natternicholas,adam gorby, ryan besidich ect,ect,ect..... Oh and don't forget your new East-side ass. coach Adam Boyers ( who wrestled for north). I'm not here to trash talk, but if you are going to make a wild comment, next time should think before speaking, and mabye a little research on the subject would help too. It's good you have school pride, but lets not go over-board!

March 23, 2002
email: bkstabbr@aol.com
comments: We are Having a tournment in Va Beach, Va on April 6, 2002 for high school students that are in grades 9,10,11 no seniors. Weigh ins are from 4-10 p.m. at Cox High School and wrestling begins at 9:00 a.m. on saturday morning. You can information on this tournment by going to Mattalkonline.com (va) or contacting Darlene Grainger at Bkstabbr@aol.com or 757-428-4821 or Mike Newbern at aaugrappler@hotmail.com.

March 23, 2002
comments: I would like to congratulate my son, David Dennis, on his 3rd Junior State Championship in Parkersburg. David wrestled in the 11/12 #80 weight class. He also won the championship in Fairmont. His championship match at Fairmont went into O.T. with a score of 5-5, but David won it by a score of 10-5. David's dad and I are very proud of him. He works very hard, not only in wrestling, but in school as well. I appreciate the wonderful coaching staff of the Jr. Patriots. They're all great guys! We wish David, and all the Patriots, good luck in the upcoming Eastern Nationals.

March 23, 2002
comments: Nathan Pickens (152) has been added to the list for Senior Nationals.

comments: I hear Roger Kupfer, Tucker Brown, Curt Meyer, and possibly Shawn Fullerton of Cameron are going, as well as Chris Taylor and possibly Derek George of John Marshall are going as well.

March 23, 2002
email: PaulSantiago215_2000@yahoo.com
comments: Hi I was wondering if theres anyone out there that got some action on tape of the state tournament finals.I'm from California but like to see any kind of wrestling Please reply or send me a e-mail I'm willing to paid good money for any state action.
Paul Santiago

March 21, 2002
comments: There are currently 6 WV wrestlers listed for Senior Nationals: Ryan Metz 125, Matt Smith 125, Robbbie Ripley 135, Ben Wood 152, Chris Daggett 215, and Vince Magnone 215. Does anyone know of anyone else? It would be nice to see as many of the top seniors go as possible.

March 21, 2002
comments: Does anyone have any results from the AAU's this past weekend at South?

March 21, 2002
Hey Doc, did you know that Ryan Painter, a 189# state champion from Greenbrier West qualified for the NCAA Championships this year. Quite a feat I think.

March 18, 2002
comments: How many wv wrestlers are planning to go to senior nationals???

March 18, 2002
comments: Does anybody know when and what station is going to broadcast the NCAA National Tournament this year?

March 18, 2002
comments: Pat Bell of Greenbrier West went to the states at 103, 112, 119, and 130 and never placed.

March 18, 2002
comments: Yall need to be carefull what you wish for. Ive lived in states that only have 1 state champ, small schools never have a chance at team title, and individual state champ every 4th leap year. Would hurt the sport, small schools couldnt get wrestlers out for team, intrest dies, fan support dies, less attendence at state tourney. Nothing gained. In those states, only the wresting power schools wanted 1 class. Wouldnt be any calhoun MVP or Coach Of Year. Only the big schools reap the rewards. Carefull-Carefull

March 18, 2002
comments: To the "other" South Wrestling Fan. I have been using the name "South Wrestling Fan" on here for years now and you decide to use the very same name,even using capital letters like mine.Come on...be original and stop copying my handle!

March 18, 2002
comments: Does anybody know if Circle of Honor Camp is gong to be held this year? I know Brad Petracca ran it and he is no longer in the area. I have sent my boy to it for the last three years and it seems to be appealing to the kids and parents in many ways. I hope it still exists. Brad, if you check this site. . . Please respond.

March 18, 2002
comments: This year at the Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic there will be 7 West Virginia Wrestlers competing against the WPIAL (Western Pennsylvania Athletic League) team. In case you are not familiar with the Dapper Dan Classic, it is called the ”Rose Bowl of Wrestling” and it is in it’s 28th year. Pennsylvania picks out 12 of their best seniors to go up against an all-star team of seniors from the rest of the United States. This year 9 of the 12 weight classes will have the number one wrestler in the country. The WPIAL also picks out their best 12 Seniors to wrestle an all Star team from another state and this year it will be the OVAC (from Ohio & West Virginia). If you wish to watch one of the best wrestling duel meets in the country try to attend!! http://wrestlingclassic.com

March 16, 2002
comments: I think there should be a few changes to see who the "real" state champ is. Here's my idea:
Top 6 from Regionals go to the class a/aa or aaa tourney.
Top 3 from the a/aa and aaa tourney advance to the a/aa and aaa tourney.
Top three that place there recive awards and such.
I think that setting them up like that would make a true state champ instead of a a/aa champ or a aaa champ.
Tell me what you think!

March 16, 2002
comments: Does any body know a good camp or two for a heavyweight? I'm looking for a camp that works alot with my weight class.

March 16, 2002
email: ekrazy03@aol.com
comments: Wutup everyone? I missed this season due to personal problems, and next year is going to be my state year. A lot of people may not know me but last year i wrestled 152. I also have a question for MR WVMAT. Would i still be allowed to wrestle at the NHSCA if i didnt wrestle this season due to problems? well thank you for your time
Editor's note: Suggest you contact Coach Maisel

March 16, 2002
comments: To LKC fan: You are correct and I think Calhoun County really earned their respect this year.The LKC was the stongest it has been in years(and it is always tough!).There were 14 wrestlers from LKC schools wrestling in the finals in AA/A.That is impressive!To have witnessed South/PHS and Oak Glen/Calhoun/Williamstown and Wirt go back and forth on the scoreboard made for one of the most memorable state tournaments in many years.Congratualtions Calhoun and all the LKC schools that made this year very interesting and special to witness!

March 16, 2002
comments: In West Virginia, has there every been a 4 time qualifier for the state tournament (AA or AAA tournament) that failed place each time?

March 11, 2002
comments: Oak Glen,AA-A=6,AAA=0 Parkersburg South,AA-A=0,AAA=13, PHs AA-A=0, AAA=17

March 11, 2002
comments: Pickens did not place at the Ironman due to the fact that he had only been in the wrestling room for about a week, he had been on the football field and was not in shape to wrestle. The competition he faced at brecksville was every bit as tough as what he faces at the Ironman. At Brecksville Pickens's closest match was a 13-0 win in the quarters, then a pin in the semis, and a 15-1 win in the championship. Those three guys all placed in the top 3 in the Ohio State tournament this year. At the Ironman Pickens placed 3rd as a sophmore and 4th as a junior and this year was winning 5-0 in the semis but wasnt in good enough shape to keep the lead and lost 6-5. All 4 of Pickens's losses this year where to nationally ranked kids. Two losses at the Ironman, one loss in overtime at the Virginia Duals, and a close call that I am still not sure about to Grundy's 160 lb. senior who is ranked 7th in the nation. Pickens was winning 9-8 with just a second left when the two wrestlers ended up in a scramble, then 2 points being awarded to the Grundy kid. He won 10-9. I believe Pickens has a great shot at placing in the top 8 at the senior nationals on April 5-7.

March 11, 2002
email: taubiota@hotmail.com
comments: To be held on Saturday, March 16, 2002, at Fort Hill HS in Cumberland, MD. See wrestlers from MD, PA, WV, PA, and OH. Grades 1-12 and an Open Division.
Goto www.eteamz.com/forthillwrestling to register on-line or get a copy of the form by clicking on the headline. Contact Bernie Nichols at (301)724-2113 for more information or email taubiota@hotmail.com

March 11, 2002
comments: I hope everyone is going to wrestle at the NHSCA national qualifier at University HS in Morgantown. I think the date is April 13th. Last year there was some good competition there from many states (espeicially PA). We need to show people that West Virginia has some good wrestling! Hopefully a lot of our state champs and placewinners will be there.

March 11, 2002
comments: I hope someone sends in results for the above tournament.

March 11, 2002
comments: Is Mike Mason going to have his camp this summer in Williamstown?
Editor's note: Yes. Check the Bulletin Board.

March 11, 2002
comments: Everyone talks about Oak Glen beating PHS at brrok, but PHS was missing 5 starters because of football...

March 11, 2002
comments: Haven't been able to get on here in awhile. Just wanted to say congratulations to the eagles for a fine season. I'm very proud of everything you all have accomplished. Danny Lord winning the state championship awesome, Kevin Ballam taking 3rd you came up just short but it's been an honor to watch you through your career, to the graduating seniors Chuch Files, Phil Files, Justin Snyder, Eddie Pifer, thanks for all you've given to me as a fan and to this sport. I wish you nothing but good luck on your future endeavors. If you need anything just call. For those of you going on to college good luck with your classes attack your classes like your opponents on the mat. For the young ones on the team freshmen: Justin Zimmerman, Josh Grim, Derrick Young, Troy Foltz, Mike Mckinney, Sophomores: Colby Foster, Bradley Ammons, Juniors: Jeremy Bryant, Dan Lord, Josh Jones,Matt Bartgis (hope I haven't missed anyone) I hope to see you all some this offseason wrestling in the AAU's and the North Hagerstown open. These out of season tournaments are a great time to work on skills and have some fun. My belief is that next year we will have an even stronger team. The addition of Joey Shetler and Dustin Foltz should help considerably. With hard work and dedication through the offseason the skies the limit next year. Your opposition will be strong Jefferson should be stacked from 130-160, East Fairmont looks to be loaded, and what can you say about the Parkersburg teams that hasn't already been said. But like I said a very good offseason could bring about some incredible results next season. The potential is there but potential is nothing without hard work. I wish I could have been at states to watch you all but a bad case of the flu made me miss for the 1st time in many years but I hope to see you all soon on the mats. Like to say freshman rookie Mike Mckinney making states and freshman rookie Justin Zimmerman 5th at regional. This was your first taste of this sport and man did you two do good my hope is that you two have had a great experience and continue on with wrestling. I would also like to say that Robert Jarrett did an awesome job this season. As I said on here before the season began his addition is a blessing and he sure didn't prove me wrong. The beginning of the season looked like the eagles were too young too inexperienced to be a big factor. But by seasons end he had this team 1st in the CVAL beating a Jefferson team which most people thought would dominate Hedgesville also bringing this team to 1st place in the Herald Mail rankings again. As this young team continues growing and Jarrett continues getting more experience look out. This season just ended and I can't wait for next year. Again congratulations to Jarrett and the rest of the eagle team and thanks for all that you've give fans like me this season. Good luck and hope to see you all soon.

March 11, 2002
comments: Koel Davia won the D3 title with a pin in the finals. East Ohio had an outstanding weekend at states. 5 wrestlers in the finals for first and second. Not to mention the numerous ones that placed in the top 6.

March 11, 2002
comments: first of all I want to say there was some awesome wrestling at jr states. I would like to congratulate kyle neely 2 time jr state, devin burge 1st place taylor neely and chris lyons 2nd and to all the little dragons placing , 10 in all. we are looking forward to youth championship tomarrow. go get em guys!!!

March 11, 2002
comments: I am from Oak Glen and I just wanted to congratulate Parkersburg South on a tremendous season. When I put on Oak Glens light blue singlet I am very proud to say that I am an Oak Glen wrestler but I just wanted to let all of u "Southsiders" know that I would also be proud to be a Patriot. Everytime I see a South wrestler or fan I just have to smile because of all of the pribe behind the school and the wresrtling program. I would love to have a showing like you guys do at the state tournament. The loud roar of your crowd during your matches is defaning as well as intimidating. When you guys come jogging around the mat during warmups and all of your fans stand and cheer it is a really awesome sight to behold. Hopefully Oak Glens program can continue to grow and sometime become as strong of a program as you all have built. SOUTH AND OAK GLEN ON TOP AGAIN IN 2003!!!!

March 11, 2002
comments: Speaking on the terms of undefeated wrestlers all four years, Kolat was undefeated but he does have that one blemish, A 1-1 tie with Chris Bono at the Dapper Dan Classic after his senior year. Bono was from Florida and later wrestled at Iowa State as we all know.

March 11, 2002
comments: Congrats John Bonecutter on your lastest comments on the forum.....keep it up big guy! You'll always be number one in our hearts son.

March 11, 2002
comments: Hi. I have a web site, High School Maps Online , which contains maps to 28,000+ US high schools. I'm still adding WV schools to it. I need WV residents to stop by to check that their school is listed and that all the info is correct. The site is free and dedicated to the parents and friends of high school students who attend school events..
Http://www.hsmaps.com

March 11, 2002
comments: I was not suggesting that Oak Glen should actually be moved, nor did I ever say that Oak Glen is a large school regarding enrollment, although class size is certainly a consideration. I doubt the AA field would appreciate Parkersburg South being allowed to compete in the small school bracket, and justifiably so. The point was that for all competitive purposes Oak Glen is a AAA team, which is unfortunate for the AA field. Sorry to have confused you.

March 11, 2002
comments: To Pirate_Mann;VRS;Varmint
Re: Oak Glen.

A while back a poster -- old goldern bear -- asked what Oak Glen needs to do to prove it is the best in the state and mentioned Parkersburg South and Parkersburg.

I suggested if Oak Glen wants to prove it is better than those schools it needs to petition the WVSSAC to compete as an AAA school.
Below are the two posts:

----- March 4, 2002 From: old goldern bear comments: what does oak glen have to do to prove they are the best school in the state they have done it all over the last 6 years and still everyone says watch out or park south or park please tell me what they need to do

---

Then I said:

March 4, 2002
comments: To: Old Golden Bear
Subject: What must Oak Glen do?
If you want to prove you are the best in the state may I suggest you petition the WVSSAC to compete as a AAA program in wrestling. That way you would have the opportunity to beat Parkersburg South and Parkersburg ever year. If you did that six times in a row nobody would doubt Oak Glen is the best in the state.

---

There is no one blasting Oak Glen for being the best school in AA. There is no one saying Oak Glen should be forced to compete at the AAA level. The only thing suggested was that if Oak Glen wanted to PROVE it was the best team in the state one sure way to do it would be to petition to wrestle at the AAA level.

There was nothing sinister in the suggestion at all so please don't take it that way.

Oak Glen does have a tremendous team and it has raised the bar for class AA competition. But, as evidenced by the small margin of victory over Calhoun County this year, that gap is rapidly closing and Oak Glen is the reason for that since the other teams saw at what level they must compete and they are trying to rise to the occasion.

But be cool Oak Glen folks nobody is trying to force you to do anything. But if Oak Glen wants to PROVE it is the best team in the state it should move up to the division where it gets the chance to prove it without doubt in the state tournament.

March 11, 2002
comments: I subscribe to the Iowa state wrestling newsletter called "The Predicament." I notice the advertisements for its youth tournaments always have staggered times for weigh ins and start of wrestling by age group (they usually wrestle by grade in school which I feel unduly rewards kids whose parents--for whatever reason--started them a year later). Iowa youth tournaments are almost always 4-man groupings by weight (round-robins) so each kid gets 3 matches. This is exactly what the Fall Classic of the Ohio Tournament of Champions does. First place gets a trophy and the other 3 get a medal. Alot of their tournaments start on Friday evenings for the little guys and go to Saturdays for the older kids. Just some food for thought.

March 11, 2002
comments: I wanted to correct the statistic that was made on the youth scores section about OVAC's. The score you have for the 5th place match was 10-1. The true score was 4-1. It was in the Wheeling Paper. I would also like to congratulate Matt Murray on an outstanding season. He changed weights numerous times and wrestled 20 lbs. underweight at OVAC's. I just wanted to correct the error.

March 11, 2002
comments: To all those writing about 4 time undefeated high school wrestlers; there is a thread on this very topic on TheMat.com high school message board. They list 30 wrestlers around the country who have accomplished this. Some notables include: Lincoln McIlravy, Kenny Monday, Jeff McGinnis, Nick Simmons, Cary Kolat, Mike Mena, among others. This year 3 wrestlers joined the list: Teyon Ware(OK), Brent Allgood (NE), and Ethan Kyle(MO) and Andy Simmons(MI) will try to become the fourth this weekend.

March 11, 2002
email: for the record
comments: this the first year since Kennedy was president that east has beatin west like i say again they had not champs this year and have never placed in the top 4 . west will b better next year IF they have a healthy team

March 11, 2002
comments: Oak Glen,AA-A=6,AAA=0 Parkersburg South,AA-A=0,AAA=13

March 11, 2002
comments: Well I was going to let it go because I thought someone would have already posted it. I beleave Mike Lantz from Parkersburg High went undefeated all three years of his high school career. '84,'85, and '86!

comments: Mike Lantz, 3x WV state champ is only wrestler in WV history to go undefeated 3 yrs. They did not have freshman at Parkersburg High in the mid-80's when he accomplished this. He wrestled for and captained NC State and was an NCAA qualifier.

Email: sullivj2@ohio.edu
Comments: Regarding Mitch Smith being the only freshman in the state ever to go undefeated, he's not the first. Coincidentally, the first freshman believed to do so was another Ripley wrestler, Billy Simon, who went 19-0 in 1982 and won the 98-pound title. Unfortunately, he didn't win a title again until his senior year in 1985 at 126.

comments: Mike Lantz from Parkersburg High School was undefeated in three years and had one tie. At that time freshaman could not participate for the hs. I think Doug Moore may have been undefeated his freshman year at North Marion, which is also a AAA school.

March 11, 2002
comments: While i was looking over your top classmen of this year, I think you over-looked a well deserving young man for the one's to watch for 2003. I've watched this young boy mature into a young man over the past 9-10 years. This young man is Shane Grogg from P.S. I stongly feel he will be the talk of WEST VIRGINIA wrestling next year. Remember Shane, its hard to win anything four times in a row. You've dedicated your whole youth to stand at the top of the podium at HUNTINGTON. Study the tape, and dont short change your senior year.

March 11, 2002
comments: since you didnt post my last article i will rewrite it. some schools are coached by their high school coach year round, which by the way that is illegal!! if you would please post this so that the schools in hand know that it is illegal and that sooner or later it will catch up to you. spring camp is for FOOTBALL not WRESTLING p.s. it is a rule that you wear socks, if the ref doesnt catch it the other coach will?

March 7, 2002
comments: I'm a student at south and i want to say congrats to the team they did awesome this year. I also wanna say way to go phs you guys showed a lot of heart and determination this year. For people who say degrading things about either team i would like to remind you we are on city PARKERSBURG. We should be proud we that we are number 1 and 2 in the state. We are the best in the state lets be proud of that and show the boys we are behind them instead of degrading the wonderful talent they have.

March 7, 2002
comments: First, let me say I have been around Oak Glen wrestling for more than 25 years. My three sons all wrestled for the Bears. I have seen the good years and the not so good years. When we were AAA, I saw the five years straight as runner-up. I also saw the years we were not as good. Like it or not we are AA now. We don't see anyone telling schools with larger enrollments to go to AAA. Yes we are proud, and don't want to be demeaning. Ihave seen all the hard work it takes to make our program a good one. Our pee-wee tournament has been on the same Saturday for twenty years. We don't see any reason to change it and have our kids travel three hours to wrestle "ANY" other tournament, when they get just as much competition here. If this offens you then come to our tournament. We at Oak Glen love wrestling and the day will come when we won't be at the top. One thing to remember, we don't belittle anyone. We will always defend our BEARS. THANK YOU!!

March 7, 2002
comments: If Oak Glen is so good then Calhoun must be just as good only losing by 19 points to them seems damn good to me. How come they are not getting any attention for their showing at states.

March 7, 2002
comments: To Fairmont Senior Fan:
I read the forum at least a couple times a day and do not see where east has talked trash at least on here. Maybe it is happening in other places but you'll have that with rivals. If you look at the history of both programs west side does have a better program. if you go but recently east side by far has been better especially this year. i noticed the dual scores and tournament scores and neither west side or north marion gave east much of a challenge. i believe next year north will be alot better than this year. You also said that most east wrestlers started off wrestling for the west fairmont pee wees. most if not all have graduated and the new bees (both high school and jr high) seem to be more promising than the past wrestlers. if that is the case then it looks like it would be due to the east side pee wee program not the west side one. i believe next year will be more competive among the county schools who knows who will come out on top

March 7, 2002
comments: This argument is made by people every year after Oak Glen wins another state championship. And what you and a lot of others dont realize is that how good a team is means nothing about their class. Oak Glen isnt even close to the biggest double A school, let alone big enough to be AAA. Just because they dominate the wrestling world doesnt mean they will move them. And the way it looks Oak Glen will be in AA for a while. So all that can be said about AAA teams is that if you get a shot to upset the powerhouse, take advantage of it and give it your all.

March 7, 2002
comments: Congrats...to Steven Porter 1st, Noah Searls 1st, AND James Casto 1st, Anthony Darst 1st, and the rest of the Mason County team at the Junior States championships...Way to go!!!!

March 7, 2002
comments: For the one who asked about Pickens at the Ironman. The asnwer is that he did not place. The Ironman is not necessarily considered just an Ohio tournament. It is a tournament that takes place in Ohio. This year, other than Ohio teams there were teams from: New Jersey,- Virginia,- Pennsylvania,- Illinois and Wisconsin. It is considered the 2nd strongest tournament in the U.S.A. Second only to the Beast of the Eeast.

March 7, 2002
comments: To West Virginia Wrestling Fanatic:
as for WV, i dont know of anyone to finish high school with undefeated record. But, in recent years Cary Kolat finished with a 142-0 record in Penn. high school. So it has been done before.

March 7, 2002
comments: Matt Murray of OGMS did not get beat 10-1 in the OVAC 5th place match he was beaten 4-1 while wrestling 20 lbs. underweight

March 7, 2002
comments: Has anyone ever went undefeated for all 4 years in high school?

March 7, 2002
comments: On the comments about Mitch Smith being the only undefeated wrestler as a freshman...I have no doubts that he is the only undefeated freshman wrestler from West Virginia. However, there was a wrestler that graduated from the University of Iowa a few years ago that did go undefeated through out his high school career. I'm not sure of his name, but if anyone has any information on this wrestler, please post it!

March 7, 2002
comments: I don't understand why Oak Glen should move to AAA just because they are a quality team. The boundaries for AAA and AA are determined only by the number of students enrolled. Next year the largest AA school will have 589 students. Oak Glen's enrollment will be 484. They're not even a large AA. The rationale behind classifications is not to put all of the hard teams in AAA and the rest in AA.

March 5, 2002
comments: I was wonder why my entry was not submitted to the formum. I wrote about my son "Tony Blosser" and how proud I was that for a 2 year wrestler to make it to the states and go up against Satterfield and the contenders. I wanted Tony to that I was very proud of him and then when I thought it was there, he never saw the piece that I wrote. I noticed that other parents comments were not getting in either.. WHY?
Editor's note: I went back and dug out the post, and here is the reason (well, excuse if you will) why it didn't get posted. It came in to my desk-top at home on Friday February 22 at 9:40 AM. I was in Huntington at the time, and this forum post came up on my machine in Kingwood when other family members were checking email. I didn't see the post until Sunday, after the tournament was over, and by then, it seemed a little, er, dated. I haven't quite figured out how to solve this conundrum, as to what to do with email that comes in to Kingwood while I'm in Huntington. I suppose I could tell my family not to bring up email while I'm gone so that I can bring it all up on the laptop in Huntington, but, sheesh, my wife gripes at me enough about monopolizing the computer. Well, not really. I better quit explaining before I get into any more trouble. (smile). At any rate, here is your post which should have appeared Friday February 22 along with my apologies.

comments: I would just like to note just how proud I am of my son, Tony Blosser. He started wrestling just 2 years ago. When UHS needed a heavy weight, Tony jumped on the chance and since then has put his whole heart into it. Here was a 189 lb. young man thrown in as HWT with guys alot bigger then he was then. Now he at the State's right along with Satterfield and Morrison. He has been going head to head with these guys for the last 2 years and can hold his own. I am quite impressed with what I have seen this year. I would like to say "GOOD LUCK TONY" You can do it......Love MOM

March 5, 2002
comments: Congrats to the Parkersburg teams and to Oak Glen. I think OG should wrestle more top teams to get WV more exposure to the nation. ie Grundy (they are AA powerhouses and are always nationally ranked) I also am thinking of wrestling in the p burg MAWA instead of the one over here this year! I will be bringing my 160 lber also! What old timers are going to be there? Mark

March 5, 2002
comments: Anyone who witnessed the finals and consolation finals of the 13 - 15 135lb weight class at the Jr. States saw the toughest compatition in the tournament. In semi's Goodrich(Calhoun) beat Alberty(Beckley) 9-8 Mather(Patriots) beat Teter(So. Parkersburg) in double overtime ride out. The finals in the championship match was 1-0 Goodrich winning. Consolation finals for third was 1-0 with Alberty Winning. All four wrestlers left nothing on the mat. Look for these guy's in the future. And congratulation to all four for showing great sportsmanship.

March 5, 2002
comments: As a matter of fact, if my memory is correct, Oak Glen has beat the top AAA teams for the past six years. Oak Glen has competed in the Brooke Classic every year and not only does it have the top WV AAA teams but it has the top teams in PA and OH. Oak Glen beat the 1st place team in AAA this year, the 2nd place team in AAA this year, and the 3rd place team in AAA this year. And this was one of Oak Glens worse teams in recent years. In 1998 North Marion beat Oak Glen 33-32. That was the year that North Marion won states. Oak Glen, this year anyways, is the best team in the state and that can't be changed until next year when everyone will have their shots at us once again...But they are looking tough for yet again another year and im sure coach shaw will have them ready to compete...OAK GLEN IS TRUELY ON TOP OF WEST VIRGINIA.

March 5, 2002
comments: The idea that Oak Glen compete as a 3-A team really isn't a bad one, and would probably be welcomed by the AA schools. Oak Glen beat South in a dual meet, finished well ahead of Parkersburg and John Marshall at the Brooke Classic, and won the OVAC overall title, beating John Marshall again-- not to mention two very powerful Ohio schools. It did lose to JM in a daul meet by three points. But it also lost to Buckeye Local, OH (whom JM beat by 50+ points) the same day. So, that might be considered an an anomaly. But, the point here isn't that OG is necessarily *the* best, but that it is unarguably *among* the best, and that at the AAA level. It's essentially a great AAA program competing as a 2-A.

March 5, 2002
comments: first i would like to take the time to congradulate the kids who placed in the jr state tour. this weekend.. you guys worked hard and you deserve it. plus i did not know where to turn in the questionaire this weekend so i think that there should be one jr.state tourn.and i think it should travel. and the little schools like cameron and hundred would have a hard time handling it on their own but if they could hold together in wheeling it would work it can be done but untill its changed i keep going to both. good job little dragons

March 5, 2002
comments: Congradulations to CHAD PORTER on your (7th) State Title. Great job this year, good luck next year.

March 5, 2002
comments: Ok, I am a Parkersburg South fan. They are always one of the best. This year though, the fight over Oak Glen and South and who is the best is simple. Both teams are outstanding every year. This year, Oak Glen beat South in the dual match. Yes, South was wrestling without some starters, but in the match South lost. Oak Glen then gets the credit for being the best in the State this year. Last year it was South. I think we really need to stop arguing over such trivial things as who is really the best. Both teams got state titles. As for PHS, both teams beat you, you aren't in the running. yes maybe next year, but face it this year you lost!

March 5, 2002
comments: it would be really nice if we could a list on here of wrestlers who have amassed over 100 wins during their tenure in the sport... of course it would take some help from people out there to accurately provide the information...

March 5, 2002
email: wjarvis@kvinet.com
comments: Just a reminder that Spencer Middle School will be hosting The "Roane Ruckus" Tournament on March 16, 2002. Any youth or high school wrestler who would like to enter can print the registration form from the Youth/Open page at this site or call-in your entry at 927-3630.

March 5, 2002
comments: Wood county high schools(South,PHS and Williamstown) scored 549 points at this year's state tourney.How lopsided would the state have been if there were a Wood County high school? 9 state champions,2 runner-ups and 2 third place finishers! I can't count that high!

March 5, 2002
comments: this is the first time ive ever seen a west virginia on the nhsca polls . congratulations jeff courtney it takes a great wrestler to get on there . that shows you how tough our state is he was given a great match in the semi finals that match could have went anyway congrats jeff it really does take an outstanding wrestler to do what you did

March 5, 2002
comments: I was looking over teh forum and i noticed about pickens and metz and comparing them to ohio wrestlers and as we all know that the Iron man is an ohio tournament its held at walsh jesuit I know that metz got first but I was just wondering what place did pickenws get his senior year . If sny one else cares and no one else replys to this i will look it up and tell you later on thanx fshs fan

March 5, 2002
email: RE: SAVING OUR SPORT
comments: While I always enjoy Dr.Welker's columns, we can only grow the sport by keeping kids interested. This is impossible when youth tournaments put on by well-meaning volunteers last from 7am to 8pm and several of the kids don't even wrestle their first match until 2pm. IT IS KILLING THE SPORT by frustrating the kids and their parents. More than anything, I believe the NEVER-ENDING youth tournament is to blame for kids dropping out. Entire Saturdays are wasted on a few matches. Besides team scrimmages, the other solutions I see are:
1. Staggered starting times and weigh in times by age group;
2. All neutral starts;
3. 1 mat and 1 referee for every 75 kids entered--no exceptions. If you take entry fees from 400 kids, then spend the time and money to have 6 mats available.
4. A mandatory staging area to eliminate down time
5. Faster scratch meetings--too much time is wasted while the kids are sitting in the gym waiting.
6. A games area (chess and checkers, for instance) where kids can spend time. I would appreciate other suggestions and imput.

March 5, 2002
comments: Just to illustrate how tough the OVAC tournament is:
1). Koel Davia (275) won the OHIO STATE H.S. Div. I high school championship this weekend but finished 4th in the OVAC tourney.
2). Adam Hoppel (215) barely beat Weir's Vince Magnone in the finals on a last second takedown but won the OHIO STATE DIV. II high school championship with a 17-1 tech fall in the finals.
I hope alot of people turn out on March 30 at Pitt's fieldhouse to watch the OVAC all-stars wrestle the WPIAL (Western Penna.) all stars as a prelude to USA all-stars v. Pa. state champs.

March 5, 2002
comments: I would like to congratulate all the state champs at the Youth Tournament in Parkersburg. Besides a few quirks on the first day, the tournament ran pretty smooth. I would like to really congratulate the Mineral Wells Wrestlers for an outstanding tournament. We had 9 kid in the finals and took home 5 state titles. We had numerous 3,4,5,and 6th place finishers. Andy Norman, Jason Enoch, "Toad" Fordyce, Mike Fordyce, Kenny Richards, and all the other coaches Thank You Very Much. You gave me a 6and under 38 lb state champ: Todd Barker and a 5th place finisher at 7&8 47lbs: Jarod Barker. Both my kids are in their first year. Mineral Wells is definitely one of the best youth programs in the state. The coaches really care about the kids and how they learn. And for the Patriot parent that took offense the last time I wrote, I said program not club. I would also like to congratulate David Jeffrey, 1st 7&8 47 lb. and Peston Harris, 2nd place 7&8 47 lb. I think as parents we can learn from our younger kids. Even though they compete against each other every week their toughest competitors become their best friends.

March 5, 2002
comments: Has there ever been any other Freshman win the states undeafeated like Mitch Smith 44-0 what a great acomplishment. I know no one has finished high school undeafeated.

March 5, 2002
comments: I would just like to address the question on who is "best" in the county. I dont think that anyone can dispute the fact that as a whole Fairmont Sr. has the better of all three programs. With North a close second (only second because they haven't been around nearly as long). I do believe how ever that the tide is turning here in Marion Co. I dont think anyone that knows about wrestling here will argue. East is quickly becoming a strong program and it doesnt look like that will change anytime soon, when you look at the Peewee and then the middle school programs east is very strong at both of these levels were they continue to send wave after wave of new wrestler to the high school. I will say also that in general the wrestling at the lower levels for all programs is on the rise. Look in the next year or so for North to start to reload as Coach Rinehart has built a fine program at Mannington Middle he has a lot of quality kids there. I also think that on the west side of the river Chris Neptune in his first year has a few quality wrestlers that can help in the not so distant future. As for east there program has turned around at the middle school only a couple of years ago i think they had under 10 kids out for wrestling and i think they had like 25 out this year. Good luck to all wrestlers in Marion Co. and congrats to all who finished there seasons this year!

March 5, 2002
comments: Antill and Whiteman didnt wrestling for 3rd at regionals cause Whiteman Defaulted to him

March 5, 2002
comments: Congratulations to Fairmont Senior for finishing 8th after a tough year. Most people didn't know you lost 4 starters (125 C.C. Crites, 130 Max Stalnaker, 152 Gavin Jones, & 215 Matt Delligatti) to injuries, etc. this year and had to endure the worst "injury bug" luck this season of any team except for Wheeling Park.

Many FS Wrestlers pulled some big upsets in the regionals and some guys who weren't expected to place at states definitely turned a few heads. Good luck next year - Let the Eastsiders talk trash all they want you just keep your heads up high and WRESTLE! PS... Most Marion County wrestling fans know where the majority of the East Fairmont wrestlers got their start :) March 5, 2002
email: brentster@casinternet.net
comments: Jenna Brett Sams
March 1, 2002, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your prayers
Brent
Editor's note: Congratulations to the Sams family....

March 4, 2002
comments: To: Old Golden Bear
Subject: What must Oak Glen do?
If you want to prove you are the best in the state may I suggest you petition the WVSSAC to compete as a AAA program in wrestling. That way you would have the opportunity to beat Parkersburg South and Parkersburg ever year. If you did that six times in a row nobody would doubt Oak Glen is the best in the state.

March 4, 2002
comments: How did Antill beat Whiteman at regionals?

March 4, 2002
comments: my man wojo won the states, in his championship match he pinned his opponent in 12 seconds

March 4, 2002
comments: I was just curious on when the off-season tournaments would begin for highschool wrestlers?thanks
Editor's note: Several are listed on the Youth/Open page....

March 4, 2002
comments: The reason that Oak Glens peewee team does not participate in the state tournament is because they are busy wrestling out of state opponents and looking for the best possible compatition. You have to beat the best to be the best

March 4, 2002
comments: Oak Glen success is not casue they wrestle this schedual or that Schedual, its the FACT they have 40 kids out every year, I would be willing to say that the rest of the top ten teams at the state dont ever have 20 on there teams. They have too many kids in there program for any other school in AA to compete with them. They have competion with in.

March 4, 2002
I can see by the results of this weeks State H.S. Wrestling Tournament in Columbus that at least two West Virginia wrestlers could have done well if they were competing. Those two would be Ryan Metz and Nathan Pickens of Parkersburg South. At 125 lbs this year in the Ironman tournament Ryan Metz came in first, ahead of Charlie Aqozzino of St. Eds and Zach Meissner of Massillon Jackson. In Columbus, Zach Meissner is the state champ, with Aqozzino third. (Division I) At Brecksville, Pickens (160 lbs) crushed the field on his way to a first place finish. Taking a 15-1 decision over Aaron Miller of Wapakonet in the finals. Miller placed 3rd in the state in Div. 2. Others at 160 lbs were Dylan Shamakian of Myfield who finished 2nd in the state in Div. 1, and Ryan Knapp of St. Francis DeSales who finished 2nd in the state in Div. 2.

March 4, 2002
comments: Congratulations to Nicholas Munday on your fourth State title. After the year you had in Jr. High, we know you were very nervous, but you pulled it out, when it counted the most. Only those that know you the most know how much hard work and dedication you have put in, especially the last few weeks. You make us really proud of you.

March 4, 2002
comments: what does oak glen have to do to prove they are the best school in the state they have done it all over the last 6 years and still everyone says watch out or park south or park please tell me what they need to do

March 3, 2002
comments: first of all oak glen wrestles an outstanding scedule not just a good one or decent one and second of all who cares what those other teams wrestle if they wrestled oak glens scedule then maybe oak glen would not have one 6 state titles but they did thanks to the the coaches and the scedule

March 3, 2002
comments: What is the State record for wins, and the top people on the list?

March 3, 2002
comments: You have such a great site here , you do such a great job.. Thank you, and keep up the good work. I just wanted to say how proud I was of our eastern panhandandle wrestlers.. Good Job. Danny Lord , you are a true Champ. But most of all, I wanted to say, what a great year you have gave Jefferson High Codie Gustines , you are such a respectful wrestler , there will never be another codie gustines in Jefferson County , I hope there will be , but , its long time coming , I am proud of you , you keep up all the hard work, like I know you will , and you will be there again next year. Just remember Codie...you are only a Sophmore , many good things awaiting you're way. Congratulations Wes Lane, on being the Champ, you deserve it , keep up the the good work. Jefferson cougars I am proud of you all, you have such wonderful coaches . See you all next year . Take care! and GOD BLESS all West Virginia Wrestlers.

March 3, 2002
comments: To BEES are BEST
On the statement that East has the best team in the county, not a chance. East's State champs can be counted on one hand,3. West Fairmont Has a total of 51 state champs.You cna put this in to prospective by Fairmont senior had more state champs in 1993 ,4, (Mike Viani,Aaron Bushko,Mike Joseph,and Chris Courtney)than east has total. I do agree east is on the rise but that was a huge over statement. WEST IS BEST!!!!!!!!

March 3, 2002
comments: To: Hancock County Proud
I'm sure that wrestling good competition in OH and PA has helped the teams up there. Coaching and team leadership have alot to do with it too. Community support, school pride, youth and jr. high teams, etc., all contribute to a program's success, especially when that program has been able to maintain such a high level for as long as they have. I know what it's like to get yourself to the point where you can finally be called "champion", so I think I can speak for everyone when I say that what Oak Glen has been able to do is something that deserves admiration. I take offense, however, to your insinuation that schools farther down into the state schedule the same lesser opponents over and over again while your team seeks out the finest competition from OH and PA. The truth is more likely that, just like us, you wrestle people that are a reasonable distance from where you are. Most schools down here that I know of make special efforts to make a couple long trips and some go out of state. Teams generally don't have the freedom or money to travel wherever they may like. I don't think it's fair to suggest that we are somehow inferior. You are familiar with the LKC's history of champions aren't you? You're obviously proud of your team and you took an opportunity to strut around a little bit.

March 3, 2002
comments: you know what i don't understand, is how oak glen's high school team is so good, but you never see there little kids wrestling in the states. they always seem to hold there tournament on the same weekend. i have been around wrestling for 8 or 9 years, and not once have i ever saw them participate in the states at parkersburg. ??????

March 3, 2002
comments: Well this was a very dissapointing yeat for the big black of point pleasant but they are only had to seniors on there team and are droping to AA-A next year. Here is a good look at next years line up.
103.Cody Pumphrey-Freshman
112.Justin Cullen-Freshman
119.Josh Russell-Sophomore(State Qualifer)
125.Josh McCarty-Sophomore(Stat Qualifer)
130.Jason McCoy-Senior(State Qualifer)
135.Nick Russell-Senior(State Qualifer)
140.Nick Duncan-Senior(State Qualifer)
145.Jesse Nott-Senior(State Qualifer)
152.?????????????????????????????????
160.David Bonecutter-Junior(State Qualifer)
171.Jacob Carr-Junior(State Qualifer)
189.Andy Knopp-Senior
215.Daniel Tench-Junior
275.Josh McCormick-Sophomore

Eight returning state qualifers that just missed placing in AAA...Two Freshman-State Champions...not to bad & going to AA-A...LOOK OUT OAK GLEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 3, 2002
comments: Link to the Ohio State Tounry if anyone to see results
http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/wr/boys/

March 2, 2002
comments: Reply to just a fan:
Yes we are moving to the Columbus, Ohio area in mid March. Jacob will be attending school at St. Paris Graham HS. (After the semi finals yesterday they should repeat as Division 2 Ohio State Champs.) I just closed on our new house the other day, boy it will take some getting used to having cornfields all around instead of the WV Mountains.

March 2, 2002
email: debbie_dye3@yahoo.com
comments: Just a reminder... The first West Virginia all girl wrestling tournament will be held March 9th at Wirt County High School gym. Weigh-ins are 7:00 to 9:00 and wrestling begins at 10:00 pre-registration is not needed.

March 2, 2002
comments: You may think that east has the best team ever in marion county, but has east ever placed in the top 3 of the states. You say this years team was the best in a while but they only placed 5th. Also I was just comparing individual titles of the 90's and noticed east only has 4 compared to the 21 of Fairmont Sr.

March 2, 2002
comments: devin bosley is very good wrestler. after whatching him wrestler this year in the toughest weight class in the state. i look for him to place very high in state next year along with drew myers, william haddox, cody shiry, and shawn snowberger.

March 2, 2002
comments: In response to (proposed changes in State Board of Education policy which would prohibit extra-curricular activities from being scheduled during the instructional day) we would like to state that this is most absurd reasoning ever encountered. We hate to think that this individual is on the payroll representing what is best for the students of West Virginia.

As everyone knows, anytime that you get away from basics of education the students suffer severely every time. Sports teaches so much more than can be taught in a class room...Sports teaches self control {such as a temper tantrum}, self confidence and esteem, competitiveness, instills comraderie, brings forth a God given talent {if present} and many more cherishable memories to be used in ones daily life as an adult. To inflict this omission on the students of West Virginia would be ludicrous and insulting. If more high caliber teachers were present in the class room this would not be a necessary evil. Every second of a students career should not be spent in a class room.

This is a can of worms that will harm the students of this state. We have seen first hand the number of students that would have 'dropped out' of school and never graduated had it not been for the sports. That number of students would be too high to be acceptable. Frankly speaking to not have sports activities during school hours would hurt a lot of school`s programs financially. We intend to fight against your suggestion with fervor. You cannot be allowed to enforce this issue without a fight.

March 2, 2002
email: To the editor
comments: I was just wondering what freedom of speech meant to you? Does it mean that everyone has a right to speak what's on their mind? Or does it mean what you feel is right to print? I wrote my opinion only on the state tournament that you didn't feel compelled to print. I commented on how much rowdier the XXX fans seem to get every year. It's not only the men that argue and fight in the stands, but, now the women are involved as well. I myself saw 3 different heated arguements with the XXX fans and other people. And, their wrestlers can't be expected to act like they should when their parents are in the stands acting the way they do. Yes, XXX you have a wonderful following, but, wrestling is a youth sport where young men are suppose to learn discipline and to wrestle fairly. Not to taunt other wrestlers into fights. I just had to comment again on this, whether it gets printed or not, who knows? My best guess...it won't. Why have this forum if EVERYONE doesn't have a chance to speak their mind?
Editor's note: I'm all for freedom of speech. I fully support the right of everyone to run their own website, attach their name, address, and phone number to it, and print what they wish. However, no publisher in his/her right mind will print items which may be libelous or slanderous, not to mention from an anonymous person. Compose your letter as a letter to the editor and mail it to your local newspaper and see if it gets published. Against my better judgement, here is your post with the name of the school deleted. Nobody can criticize me for allowing a school to be dissed here since obviously noboby can possibly have the foggiest idea to which team you refer. Also against my better judgement, here is your previous post which got trashed.....

comments: I have attended the state tournament many times in Huntington and the behavior that I have witnessed this weekend is at an all time high. I have always thought what a nice following that XXX has, but, each year this following gets rowdier and rowdier. I saw many arguements and fights about to break out with the XXX parents. They were rude, and vulgar and standing in the stands in front of other people. Is this why their wrestlers conduct themselves the way they do on and off the mat? Remember that we as parents have to set the examples for our children so that they can be a healthy part of society and not thugs. Anytime you ever see a fight break out between 2 wrestlers, you can bet that one of them is a XXX wrestler.
Editor's note: OKAY, I didn't print this because it paints an entire school with a tarry brush based on your perceptions of the actions of a few fans. In addition, you smeared every wrestler on that particular team, which is completely uncalled for. Plus, if I posted this with the name of the school it would only cause hundreds of retorts with demands for "equal time." It would never end. Plus, I don't need any lawsuits.
So, it got trashed. Got it??

March 2, 2002
comments: i was just checking out jjhuddle to see how a friend of mine's son in ohio was doing, and i saw this little thing posted and it's true, sort of makes you think.

Wrestler - My Son

I watch you walk across the mat to face another foe. I share your joy and feel your pain and deep inside I know tremendous pride each time you try the test that's one on one you give your best, your skill. Your strength and so...
I THANK YOU SON

It's difficult to pass up meals and deny yourself a treat. It's difficult to work so hard and still know defeat. It's difficult to stand alone while friends and foe look on, but you have done all this and more and so...
I THANK YOU SON

The wrestler is a special knight. His courage is his shield. His weapons are his arms and legs, the skill he has to wield. And his heart, his mind, and confidence important everyone. Yes, you possess these qualities and so...
I THANK YOU SON

to my son and every other mom's son, thanks.

March 2, 2002
comments: I would like to set the records straight. The Bee's of East Fairmont are clearly the overall, now and past, best program in Marion County. The people who disagree with me think Fairmont Senior and North Marion had the best teams during the 80's and 90's. They may have had teams that were a little better but this years East team more than makes up the gap. There is no way any wrestlers they have ever had can compete withe the likes of: Ben Geary, Brandon Geary, Aaron Futten, Mayle, Scott Taylor, Shawn Moore and Chris Satterfield! GOOOOOOO BEEEEEEE'S It is time that the People of Marion County and the state recognise us as the best.

March 2, 2002
comments: Please keep the pill system for the setting of the brackets. No seeding meetings. Here are several reasons.
1) seeding meetings lend themselves to good debators, politics and deal making.
2)Time-- Problems will arise in almost every bracket causing long arguments. Plus coaches will not be paid for the extra time this will take. Athletic budgets are strained now. Lets not pay gas money, food money and hotel money to coaches to argue over silly things.
3) Good semifinal matches go a long way to promoting the sport of wrestling. They are always exciting.
If any change could be considered to change the structure of the state tournament, I would support an olympic pool type set. The details could be hammered out for fair groups. This would be quite interesting. Anyway, the pill system is fair and time effective.

March 2, 2002
comments: This is just my opinion, but here goes. Keep wrestlers and other students in class as much as possible. Our state dearly needs to learn the merits of a good solid educational experience. Please keep in mind schools are for education, not for sports! WV has the lowest college graduation rates in the nation. This is one big part of our economic problem in this state. Please keep all extra activities from decreasing class time!!! Wrestling is growing because of its high standards. Please keep improving and do not lower the bar!!

March 2, 2002
comments: Congradulations to all the Hedgesville Eagles, especially those that made it to the states.And way to go "CHAMP" Danny Lord, You were do, and Kevin, You were close again, but you also set the new State career wins record, something to be very proud of. Great job guys and coaches. regards

March 2, 2002
comments: To hancock county proud
Well Oak Glen wrestles a decent schedual with soild duals and nice tounrments but what does Maddona and Weir wrestle???? Those 2 other schools might not have had anyone in the win state but they have had 4 kids in the state finals. That post looked more like pattin yourself on the back instead of sayin u need to wrestle better scheduals.

March 2, 2002
comments: I'd just like to congratulate my brother Adam on his state title. No one deserves it more. Also to Matt Bender congrats on a wonderful season...for what happened in your semi match with Pickens, that was a situation where the men get seperated from the boys and you proved that you were a man.

March 2, 2002
comments: You can find entry forms and all the information for Senior Nationals at www.nhsca.com and then follow the links.

March 1, 2002
(portion of an) INTERCEPTED MEMO
TO: William J. Luff, Jr., Deputy State Superintendent of Schools
RE: Proposed change to West Virginia State Board of Education Policy 2510 which would prohibit scheduling of extracurricular activities during the instructional day

5.2431. Extracurricular Time - Time that is not part of the required instructional day or curricular offerings but is under the supervision of the school. It may be used for athletics, non-instructional assemblies, social programs, entertainment and other similar activities. Extracurricular activities may not be scheduled during the instructional day.

March 1, 2002
comments: good luck to the PARKERSBURG COUGARS at the state sat. and sun.

March 1, 2002
comments: Does anyone know anything about the fort hill open wrestling tourney?

March 1, 2002
comments: Yesterday Bob Pickens announced to his wrestlers that he was going to retire. Bob's legacy is one to remember. Twenty five years at Williamstown. Two State Championships, Finished in the Top Ten just about every year, 37 State Champions,many more runner ups. Bob- You will be missed ..... As Bob Hope would sing.... "Thanks for the memories".......

March 1, 2002
comments: To Erica Dye:
I've been following you at State tournaments for the last 3 years. You've come a long way. You did great at state. You show a lot of character and it shows in the comaraderie with your team mates. You should be proud of what you've accomplished. Wirt wrestled a great tournament showing. Congratulations to all! Keep up the good work.

March 1, 2002
comments: to randy: a team can't decide on their own what region they want to be in so even if a team wants to join region 1 it wouldn't be their choice and to tell the truth i would love to see my team be in region 1 because i believe it is right up there with the best and even if someone saw every kid wrestle and knew the brackets it is completely impossible to pick every single bracket right there is no way anyone can pick all 84 places and would be very difficult to pick the top 2 from each weight class thats why they are called predictions everyone knows they wont pick all the right people i knew that when i picked mine and i was also the one who didnt pick john marshall to be in the top 5 only cuz i thought huntington and nitro would have done better but all that does is prove im human

March 1, 2002
comments: Now that we have congratulated the four captains,let us not forget the others that helped South win their 4th straight title.First Shane Grogg and Bryce Pickens.You two enjoyed the march on Saturday evening and wrestled two very good opponents in the finals and made us all proud.The names Osuna-Cotto,Young,Radcliff and Young were all names that will return next year also and each of you contributed to the score to help your team win.You each should be very proud of yourselves for giving your all!Keep the ball rolling and work hard with all the young men coming in next year and make it 5 in a row!!Thanks guys!

March 1, 2002
comments: My friends and I are looking for forms for the Senior Nationals. If you know where these can be found or have any information regarding the tournament, please post it and let us know. Also, we'd like to know when this tournament, and the "Dapper Dan Classic"(I believe it is called) featuring the WPIAL ALL-STARS and the OVAC ALL-STARS are to take place. Thanks again for any help you can give us.

March 1, 2002
comments: Thank you for the fine comments. We have always felt that you earn your rewards. The decesion to continue was not a hard one to make when I looked in Matt's eyes and realized this young man would not have it anyother way. We came to wrestle the best and gave it our best effort. Congratulations to Nathan, one tough wrestler. And again thank you for your support.

March 1, 2002
comments: that was probably the most exciting state tournament i have witnessed in my 30 plus years of attending, really enjoyed watching PHS and South trade shots, too bad things worked out as they did or it could have been even more exciting, Nate Pickens is without question the most entertaining wrestler I have ever seen on the mat, he wrestled up several times and hit moves that left those in attendance(including his opponents), wide - eyed in disbelief, Bosley showed great courage and without him 4 in a row may not have been possible, Walter's upset of george was worth the price of admisssion

March 1, 2002
comments: Enjoyed watching WV wrestlers battle it out this weekend, some very exciting matches. But one question, when did WV stop using two officials in the finals, or even the semi's, quarter finals, etc. I saw several final matches that needed two officials (Turnbull's match). But for the most, i thought the wrestling was very competitive especially among the lighter weights.

March 1, 2002
comments: Well the season has finally came to an end…..
I would first like to congratulate ALL wrestlers, coaches and parents of all teams statewide.
Now to the Calhoun Red Devils you guys were and are AWESOME! I would like to congratulate you. You all wrestled with HEART. I’ve seen you wrestle bruised, beaten, stiff and hurt but never once did I see any of you guys give up and for that I am proud! I am proud to say I am a Calhoun alumnus and I am proud to say I am a Calhoun fan. To the senior’s: Thanks for the memories, you guys will surely be missed but you have left a great legacy. The underclassmen will step up to the challenge and make us all proud. To all the guys that made it to states you should be proud of yourselves you gave it you’re your best shot and for that we are all proud of you. Chris, Derek, and Justin represent the best of your weight class and have made your parents and fans very proud! Justin you have 2 more years to do it again, Chris you were destined to repeat from last year, and Derek you have capped off a great high school career! Mike and Bucky have taken this team to heights never seen before and hopefully next year they can take it one step farther TO THE TOP!

March 1, 2002
comments: Thanks to everyone for the kind words all season long, and especially after my injury. I'm disappointed I couldn't take it all this year, but you can bet I'll be working that much harder when I'm healed to be back on top again. Again, thanks to everyone who believed in, and still believes in me. It means more than you will ever know. To Adam Leach, congrats on the title this year! There's nothing like it huh? You earned it man, its only a shame Chris never got one too. You're both class acts, good luck in the future guys.

March 1, 2002
comments: Okay here is my opinon sinse so many schools are dropping to AA okay if they would take All the A teams and make them regions and then instead of wrestling A and AA together at states wrestle them seperately like in all the other sports they do I know this would take more time at states but in my opinon it would be alot better for the kids and give really good kids a chance to place because they cant beat some of the AA kids because they have junior high programs. But I DO THINK THIS WOULD WORK If they would take the time to do this.

March 1, 2002
comments: Whoever it was that posted the comment to "Hancock Couty proud" on 2-27-002, you need to go back to school, or at least look something up before you type. Hancock County has 88.55 square miles, Pleasants County has 134.65 square miles.

March 1, 2002
comments: metz smith williams lane george pickens mays taylor courtney rector daggett [won ithis sophomore year] morrison satterfeild I think thats all of the people that are eligible for the senior natonal this year who all are gong I'd like to know if theres a lot id like to go see how it turns out. courtney is undefeated I'd like to see him go see how well he does there you never know maybe he could win it and maybe even him and dagget will meet again that would be fun to watch we'll anyone who knows anything about this get back to me on this thanx

March 1, 2002
comments: SIMPLY THE BEST!!!!! 4 IN A ROW!! ALL OF YOU BOYS AMAZE ME!! THE ENTIRE SOUTH WRESTLING TEAM IS JUST AWSOME, I HAVE LOVED WATCHING YOU ALL WRESTLE. TO ALL THE SOUTH COACHES, WOW, THERE ARE NO OTHERS THAT COMPARE TO ANY OF YOU. CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU ON AN UNBELIEVEABLE SEASON! WE WILL MISS YOU RYAN, NATHAN, MATT, AND CHRIS. YOU ARE ALL TRUE CHAMPIONS AND YOU'VE MADE SOUTH AND ALL THE SOUTH WRESTLING FANS SO PROUD, I NEVER HAD A DOUBT THAT YOU WOULD WIN 4 IN A ROW, YOU ALL HAD THE HEART TO TO WHATEVER IT TOOK. NEXT YEAR WE WILL GO FOR 5 IN A ROW AND WE HAVE THE TALENT TO DO IT WITH KYLE, SHANE, BRYCE, SETH, FELIX (YOU ALL DID AWSOME AT STATE) STEPHEN, SHAWN, STEVEN, KURT AND WES!!! YOU ALL HAD A HAND IN GETTING SOUTH THE 4TH STRAIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE! WE ARE SO PROUD OF EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU!! WAY TO GO BOYS, WE LOVE YOU ALL AND CANT WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEARS SEASON TO START!

March 1, 2002
comments: Thanks for the geography lesson, but NEITHER of the 2 "smaller" counties you mentioned had a state champ. The POINT of the post was to encourage coaches to schedule tougher out-of-state competition in Ohio and Pa to IMPROVE WV wrestling.

March 1, 2002
comments: Commenting on the remarks of Kyle Frerichs I was wondering if your family is moving? I would hate to miss watching Jacob wrestle next year. If so, good luck

March 1, 2002
comments: I would like to say congradulations to Woodrow Wilson on a great season.None of you should be ashamed of your season.Next year will be even better,your team will be a team to reckon with next year.With only two or three leaving the team you guys will be a top 5 team next year.Congrats to Sean Meade,Ryan Bostic,Garland ward,Zach Evans,Joe McQuillen,Jay Thomas,Justin Boyden,Josh Evans,and Jeremy Goode on making it to states.All of you guys will be returning next year,,what a team to reckon with next season.Keeping working out and stay in condition during the off season,and I perdict Woodrow will be filling in 8-10 spots in the state championship finals next year.Way to go guys!

March 1, 2002
comments: I was not forced to move up to 275 i choose to do that. Even though i was underweight a little still wanted to compete at a tougher weight class. Gibson

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page