West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- March 2004 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

March 7, 2004
comments: I agree that some officials are fair no matter what but if they would remove themselves it would allow no guestion about their loyalty to taint a wrestlers win or loss. and I still think since officials are paid they should be better and try harder to keep a match moving and to have it won by wrestling not running away or stalling

March 7, 2004
comments: If possible could someone send me to a web site or could someone post results to the Youth State tournament in Parkersburg. I also want to commend Lewis for a well run Tournament. See everyone in East Fairmont.

March 6, 2004
comments: To: dude Just took a quick glance at your rankings and you're entitled to your opinion. But, did you know that Brooke and Park wrestled a duel with Brooke winning 40 to 30?

March 6, 2004
comments: I think one wrestler no one is giving any credit to is Anthony DiMarco of Williamstown. He made the state finals for the second year in arow with out being ranked in the top 6 in the state. He beat a kid you major desisoned him twice during the regualr season in the semi's. I think its amazing what that kid has done.

March 6, 2004
comments: To: Panhandle fan You may want to give the nod to Clay Tucker, and his state championship and record speak for themselves. I'm not wanting to start the mindless banter regarding the OVAC but you didn't need to mention that in your reasoning as those guys didn't fare to well in the WV state tourny. Without extensive research I believe they were 0 for 5. Granted that a couple guys won the tourny that didn't win the OVAC, but that's the nature of the beast. Speaking of Beast, I believe runner-up at the Ironman and Beast of the East (to the same individual) might outweigh the OVAC crown. Dang, I can't bekieve I'm saying this since I'm a South fan. Seen them both and it would be an interesting match.

March 6, 2004
comments: I dont think Iron was putting smith down. He praised him in the earlier post. I dont know much about the NHSCA tournaments but to me they are qualifiers for some other tournament. Correct me if I'am wrong. I agree with Rock's post about the only true national titles you really get recognized for is Fargo, and Senior Nationals. I dont recall Smith ever going to Fargo, but correct me if I'm wrong again. But dont bash Iron, we all have oppinions. If you didnt...then you wouldnt ever post anything on here.

March 6, 2004
To Phanatik:
Hmmmm, I messed that up. Thanks for calling that to my attention

March 6, 2004
comments: Its all BS, These FINAL RANKINGS. Those were taken in Huntington last week. SO DROP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Guess some people can come to grips that they didnt get the job done so they have to manifest it on paper.

March 6, 2004
comments: I feel that wrestling, this past year was not like the wrestling that has come out of the past.It has dropped in tallent and went down hill. I and others have discussed this and feel that wrestling now, can not compete with wrestling as a sport in the past. In the past you would not see kids that havent won a match all year, or not win a match at regionals and still compete at states...its a joke...Im not saying that it doesnt have its outstanding wrestlers, for example weight classes 215 and HVW,they were a joke this year. not taking away from lou or anything. A couple years ago you would have 5 good competitive wrestlers in each weightclass,cant say that for any this year. ..but there is no way the compitiveness and skill in the sport is there like it was a few years ago when wrestlers were wrestlers. After this years season im not sure i want to watch the seasons to come in the future.

March 6, 2004
comments: I know Woody Burns pretty well and he is one of the top officials in WV ! I also know for a fact that when Woody steps on the mat he does not see the color of a uniform or the name on it...he simply calls them as he sees them. I also like the fact that Woody is not afraid to slap the mat when a wrestler is pinned...something this sport has not seen since the late,great Joe Grass officiated.Keep up the good work Woody..this sport needs more like you!

March 6, 2004
comments: In looking at yucatan's rankings and realizing of course that his opinions and mine are like certain body parts, we all have them, I might point out the following:
(1)At 171 you left out the only in state competition that Walters faced all year, Cremeans of CM
(2)At 125 Kelley actually wrestled Wright and won by major dec
(3)At 215 Davis and Lowe had at least 3 common opponents and Davis beat 2 of the 3 and Lowe lost to all 3. The common opponent that beat them both pinned Lowe in the 1st and beat Davis 4 to 1
(4)I saw Rash at 103 beat Phalen head to head, I'm not sure if they met more than once
(5)Finally you picked Smith over Smith at 140 but given similar circumstances you picked Richey over Litton. My point is just to let everyone else know that these are just your favorites based on your feelings and not really based on any actual results. Type on.

March 6, 2004
email:
comments: There were so many inconsistencies I left one out. Along with the Litton/Richey example I left out the McCray/Hayes example to go along with it. Two out of three wasn't as good as winning head to head at the state, yet that didn't matter at 140 AAA. On a personal note, I believe Northcraft at 145 might deserve #1. I really thought Smith of PS was the best until his knee trouble and I saw their match It was one of the best all year.

March 6, 2004
email:
comments: Highly Offended by the Highly Offensive
Because of this web site my life has sunk to new lows and I have reached a level I could never have dreamed I could fall to. I have been complimented by Superman. I thought the editor screened these posts. What times we live in.
HenCackling.com
BeenNapping.com
What'sHappening.com
SilverDappling.com
DogsYapping.com
GiftWrapping.com
When will it all end. Maybe after the MCATs. Yes, that's it! TestTackling.com
Been there, done that. Good Luck.

March 6, 2004
comments: HEY EVERYONE I WILL BE WRESTLING AT THE MASON COUNTY TOURNAMENT MARCH 27TH.....WELL PLANNING ON IT. ANYONE ELSE GOIN??

March 6, 2004
comments: To Iron: Lets just start out by saying that you have no idea who Shaun Smith has wrestled or where he has wrestled.In July 2003 Shaun went down to Virginia Beach and wrestled in the NHSCA Nationl Open Wrestling Championships High School Division and took 1st place in the 140lb wt class! Shaun works hard year round,trust me I know! I don't want to get into who you or anyone else thinks should win the Dutton Award or who should be MOW.All I know is Shaun wrestled his match on that Sat night from start to finish and this year he did deserve MOW.Mitch Smith is an outstanding wrestler and nobody knows that better than Shaun himself. Nobody is taking anything away from Mitch. So lets just give it up for now and see what happens next year!!

March 6, 2004
comments: Seedeing the Top 6 Afer state Tournament:

6 Brandon Davis - OG
5 Robert Rash - IND
4 Seth Phalen - Rip
3 Jobey Knapton - EF
2 Dustin Haislip - Muss
1 Ron Green - WP

6 James Moffatt - Win
5 Logan Hartle - JM
4 Tim Cumpston - Cam
3 Brandon Miller - OG
2 Abbie Rush - WP
1 Anthony Easter - Nitro

6 Stve Riner - HHS
5 Zac McCray - PS
4 Jake Hays - PHS
3 Josh Neal - Shady
2 Brian Humphrey - WP
1 Kyle Turnbull - UHS

6 Jared Garvin - MHS
5 Bobby Cooper - Rip
4 Aaron Kelley - PS
3 Shane Wright - OG
2 Derek Scarbro - Shady
1 Robert Shyver - PHS

6 Quil Ward - BU
5 Jess Mahan - OG
4 Justin Ashley - Cal
3 Justin Lodge - NM
2 Mike Durbin - Brooke
1 Brandon Rader - PHS

6 Jeremy McCarty - LC
5 Andrew Cummings - Cal
4 Brennon Chambers - OG
3 Codie Gustines - Jeff
2 Braden Shaw - Brooke
1 Chad Porter - PS

6 James Casto - PP
5 Jordan Flynt - BC
4 Jeff Cumpston - Cam
3 Henry Miller- UHS
2 Shuan Smith - PS
1 Mitch Smith - RIP

6 Chad Nelson - HHS
5 David Bonecutter - PP
4 Felix Osuna-Cotto - PS
3 Chance Litton - PHS
2 Dustin Richey - JM
1 Casey Hughes - Cam

6 Sean Smith - PS
5 Jay Thomas - WW
4 Corey Adkins - JM
3 Eric Metz - Cal
2 Rhett Northcraft - OG
1 David Campbell - UHS

6 Paul Goodrich - Cal
5 Matt Mason - BS
4 Garrett Railing - OG
3 Dana Davis - Brooke
2 Cody Norman - PS
1 Shane Smith - Will

6 Billy Ray - EF
5 Cory Burgess - RC
4 Jacob Carr - PP
3 Issac Stewart - CAM
2 Alan Tracewell - Will 
1 Kyle Walters - PS

6 Jacob McCoy - HH
5 Robert Ward - IND
4 Mark Smith - GW
3 Cody Tominack - WP
2 Joey Lindamood - PHS
1 Matthew Delligatti - FS

6 Josh Davis - PS
5 Jacob Lowe - WC
4 Sam Craddock - RC
3 Kenny Hutchinson - HHS
2 Cody Potts - OG
1 Lou Thomas - PHS

6 Ryan Campbell - WE
5 Josiah Dorton - PS
4 Jesse Valentine - EF
3 AJ Freda - LC
2 Andrew Fegal - Weir
1 Ryan Dearman - PHS

Questions or Comments!???

March 6, 2004
comments:
1.Hughes Cam sr. 41-0
2.Bonecutter PP sr. 50-4
3.Hines BC sr. 40-3
4.Elder Will sr. 26-8
5.Duryea G sr. 42-6
6.Dye Wirt sr. 30-11
7.Stevens OG sr. 29-16
8.Bennett BS fr. 14-5
9.Merico Weir sr. 31-15
10.Meadows SS sr. 26-9
11.Cavender Sis sr. 23-8
12.Fisher HH so. 32-18
13.Johns Fay sr. 23-19
14.Dickson Rich sr. 30-11
15.Francis WE sr. 27-17
16.McClung Indy jr. 11-20

March 6, 2004
comments: 140 Top 15
15 Matt Stewart
14 Joe McQuillen
13 Aaron Dunlap
12 Mitch Erb
11 J.J. Mayer
10 Anthony DiMarco
9 Alex Lee
8 Josh Bailey
7 Matt Dye
6 James Casto
5 Jordan Flynt
4 Jeff Cumpston
3 Henry Miller
2 Shuan Smith (probably going to get blasted for this)
1 Mitch Smith (i just feel mitch is still the better wrestler)

Why mitch over shuan....head to head 1-1...next....mitch beat shaun 6-2(by 4)....shuan beat mitch 3-1(by 2)...both are awesome...I just would take Mitch over Shaun.

March 6, 2004
comments: I didnt think that anyone would do a top ten dual team so i decided to do one for the AAA. By what i thought.
1. Parkersburg South
2. Parkersburg
3. Wheeling Park
4. Brooke
5. University
6. Fairmont Senior
7. Ripley
8. Huntington
9. East Fairmont
10. John Marshall

March 6, 2004
email: Tucker-Rader
comments: I give the edge to the 47-0 Ohio State and OVAC Champion.

March 6, 2004
comments: I feel it is your responsibility to properly seed kids in tourneys. there was a case of this at a major tourney this year where a team attempted to put their wrestler in the draw and he was bracketed to wrestle the #2 seed in his 2nd. match. He was eliminated from competition at that point. He was a legitimate 4 or 5 seed and should not have been put in the draw. It was not fair to the wrestler to have been put in that situation. I understand that the coaches wanted to win the event and I can see why they did it but this young man was the one to suffer the results of that decision. I think that if everyone is honest with the seeding it makes everything go alot smoother.

March 6, 2004
comments: Drew Mauck recieved a bad call at the states. He deserved 3rd place.

March 6, 2004
comments: I think there is some misconception nowadays an what makes a national Tournament and who is a national champion. there are many "imitation" tournaments out there that claim to be the natinals but I believe that there are only 2 tournaments in the US that can be claimed National tournies for HS kids and they are Fargo and Senior Nationals. Hopefully this year we have a great showing at Fargo like we did last year. We can put together the best WV Fargo team ever. anyways acording to this reasoning, Mitch and Easter are the only Fargo Champs in HS right now. They each won a couple years ago, Not last year. Hopefully they can along with others be national champs again this year. Good Luck.

March 6, 2004
comments: I would have to totally agree with the comment about Woody Burns he is definitely a fair ref. I would be very happy to have him on the mat with my kid anytime.

March 6, 2004
comments: On your top wrestler page, you forgot Shady Springs Justin Chapman (jr) 4th and Anthony Harvey (jr) 4th.
Editor's note: These are both fine athletes. As the page indicates, this list includes seniors and juniors who placed in the top three, sophomores who placed in the top five, and freshmen who placed in the top six. Yes, I know it is arbitrary. Yes, we could list all placewinners. But if we did that, we would just be duplicating state tournament results.

March 6, 2004
comments: To The Way A Match Should Be Wrestled: Another pretty awesome match was between DiMarco( williamstown) and Dye( wirt). DiMarco got the go-ahead takedown with just seconds left on the clock, it was a great victory for DiMarco because Dye had dominated him all year.

March 6, 2004
comments: Does anyone have any info on the Mason County tourney or the one that will be in Morgantown if u do it would be greatly appreciated.

March 6, 2004
comments: Could some one please tell me what time the weigh-in's for high school will be at the rainelle open tournament and the shady springs open tournament....Thanks

March 6, 2004
comments: The move that Bonecutter used against Dye was a standing grambe, he then pulled a peterson, then finished him off with a step-off Cowboy.

March 6, 2004
comments: Well . . . I've been waiting . . . but really haven't heard much congratulating going on towards the wrestlers of Tyler Consolidated. From a school that generally sends on the average of three wrestlers to the state tournament year to year, the Silver Knights sent eight last year and nine this year. As far as I'm concerned, Tyler has an up and coming program which has every intetion to become a team to be reckoned with in the future. Kudos to all nine who made it to Huntington: Donnie Peck, Josh Gust, Cole Heintzman, Isaiah Richie, Junior Yost, Ronnie Stevens, Michael Gessler, Elijah Richie, and Lance McKeever.
This year, Lance was the only one to place . . . 5th . . . but excitement is building in Tyler County . . . and we're looking for bigger and better next year. Way to go guys!
Congratulations also goes to Alex King of Magnolia; and the boys in purple of St. Marys.
None of you may have brought home a state championship, but you at least made it to the "big show". . . and so many others did not. Good job.
And then there is Judd Billings and Sam Dennis from Ravenswood. Close . . . oh so close . . .but no cigar. You know what? It doesn't make a single one of us any less proud of you. Great job . . . many a wrestler in West Virginia would have given their right arm to be where you were on the podium on Saturday night.
But . . . the season is over now. Next year is already upon us. Those who work will be where they belong next year . . . those who don't . . . not only won't, but don't deserve to be.
Caps off to every single wrestler making the cut which allowed them to even appear at the state championships. Good show guys . . . definately good show.

March 6, 2004
comments: Shaun Smith won the National High School Coaches Association National Tournament at Virginia Beach which is held the week of July 4th. He was runner up another year. Just because a wrestler wins a National Tournament dosent make him the best wrestler around. Hard work and good wrestling skills usually brings them to the front to become State Champions. Instead of bad mouthing the kids give them credit where credit is due. I wonder IRON if you ever wrestled?????????????

March 6, 2004
comments: GreenSappling.com = very witty
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a sense of humor
ZenGrappling.com

March 6, 2004
comments: To wrestler: My estimation of the top 15 wrestlers in the 140 class is that they are all good. Are you wanting to see if someone will list your name? If so print your name and we'll tell you if you made the cut.

March 6, 2004
comments: comment: I am highly offended that Superman is highly offended!
GreenSappling.com

March 6, 2004
comments: hey I saw that Bonecutter - Dye match it was great. you could almost see Bonecutter setting Dye up for that last move. anyway it was good wrestling as long as it lasted. just wanted to say Dye had a great season nothing to be down about. you were one of the best all year, so Bonecutter, Dye you gave me a match I'll remember a long time. THANKS

March 6, 2004
comments: To the person who said a n official from a certain town should step aside when a kid from his town is wrestling, Has never met Woody Burns. He is a South Grad and If I was wrestling for PHS and was wrestling a South kid, Woody is the guy I would want. He is by far the most consistant ref out there. Yes he may cheer for South ,but when it comes to his sport he is fair. Thanks Woody

March 6, 2004
comments: Could someone give a good estimation of the top 15 wrestlers after the state tornament in the 140lb weight class?

March 6, 2004
comments: To Waldo Ino: Since when did Shaun Smith start winning national titles? Jr High doesnt count. Mitch Smith has won 1 national title in High School that I'am aware of and that is the one in Fargo 2 years ago? But I give all the credit to Shaun, he went out and took many shots, Mitch took no shots whatsoever, Shaun just happened to win. I still think Mitch is the best in WV. Rader should and probably will win a 4th title, with all his weight gain, we might see him vs. a smith in the finals??? Noone knows. But a 4 timer deserves to win the dutton or MOW.

March 6, 2004
comments: I have not congratulated any of the South wrestlers since the state tourney,kinda sitting back and taking it all in for awile.I'm gonna miss Curt,Sean,Felix and especially you Kyle.I lived near Kyle and his family and played sports with his father.What an amazing career you had Kyle Walters! 2 state chapionships and a runner-up in OT.South has a solid nucleus returning with Kellar,Townsend,McCray,Kelley,Dunn,Porter,Smith,Munday,Norman,Davis and Dorton.Our cross-river rivals will also have a good team but look for South to start another streak...maybe another FOUR IN A ROW !

March 6, 2004
comments: In reference to cutting weight classes - 103's as freshmen often become state champs or placers as 119's or 125's as juniors/ seniors. If they had no weight class as freshmen, they would never have a chance to develop. 'Nuff said.

Gotta go - there's a strange glow in the sky here in Roswell - it looks like it's ...............aaargh

March 6, 2004
comments: Did anyone notice that half of the LKC Champions were also in the State Finals? Does any other conferance have those kind of numbers? I would also like to point out a great job by Mike Mason with his Bridgeport team. They had a great year. Mike I hope you come back to the LKC somewhere.

March 6, 2004
comments: Hey Doc.

It was nice to see you last week. It's like a mini class reunion every year.

I really enjoyed visiting (ever so briefly) with Mike Mason. He's a super class act, if there ever was one. Thanks, Mike, for coming up to see me.

As one of the announcers who is either garbled or deafening every year (smile), I want to voice my whole-hearted endorsement of switching to a PA system that does not require so much talking. Not to compare it w/ physical exertion, but announcing so much for three days is brutal. I get rundown and sick almost every year. Mac and I would be more than happy to announce only results (or to be replaced entirely, like millions of others over the years, by technology).

On another matter, I wonder whether the coaches will think about and/or discuss the criteria for coach of the year. I don't have the list handy, and I'm sure someone will be able to point out each year that violates what I'm about to type, but it puzzles me that in most years the coach of the winning team wins, pretty much by default. My second favorite sport (behind WV scholastic wrestling, of course) is pro football and in 2001 Dick Jauron won for his over-achieving Bears and Andy Reid of the Eagles won in 2002 without being in the Super Bowl. Just a thought; please use kid gloves for those from the P-burg Metro area and Oak Glen, as I enjoy working with all three of this year's winners.

Finally, Head Table workers (i.e., Mac and I) must find ways to entertain ourselves, so thanks to Coach Schenerlein for being such a good sport regarding a silly wager between the psyhchotherapists.

Keep up the good work Doc. And feel free to censor/edit anybody (including me) until we pay for this forum!

March 6, 2004
comments: From Sports Illustrated
Alex Tsirtsis, Griffith, Ind.
Alex, a senior at Griffith High, broke the national high school record for consecutive victories with his 221st, at the Hobart Invitational on Jan. 24. The three time state champion is ranked No. 2 in the nation at 140 lbs. by Amateur Wrestling News.

March 6, 2004
comments: Copied the following portion from pittsburg live. What do folks think about cutting weight classes? Personally, I think it is a good idea. What other sport requires 14 varsity athletes? -track/swimming. Can't stand to see all the duals with 5-6 matches and all the rest forfeits.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/highschool/s_182952.html

CUTTING WEIGHT
The PIAA has submitted a proposal to the National Federation of High School Athletic Associations to reduce the number of the weight classes from 14 to 12. The PIAA's proposed weight classes are 108, 115, 123, 130, 138, 145, 152, 160, 171, 189, 215 and 275. The change would eliminate the 103 weight class and adjust the ceiling of the bottom five weight classes. "Too many of the lower weights have forfeits and a 103-pound weight class is not reflective of a time when people are bigger, faster and stronger," PIAA assistant executive director Bob Lombardi said.

March 6, 2004
comments: Mason third in State Tournament; Bennett takes sixth - by Horace Blankenship - 3/3/2004

Berkeley Springs wrestling team finished the season on Saturday, February 28, in unfamiliar territory. The Indians, a perennial top ten team finished in 18th place, in the 42-team Class AA State Tournament held in Huntington.

Leading the way for Berkeley Springs was 160 pound senior Matt Mason. Mason who ended the year with an outstanding record of 53-4, finished third.

Mason fought his way to the championship semifinal match with two second-period pins. Mason opened the tournament disposing of Cameron's Adam Copper in 3:27, then pinned Brandon Hodge of Wahama in 2:23.

Mason's semifinal opponent, Shane Smith of Williamstown, a two-time defending state champion and the 2003 Class AA Most Outstanding Wrestler, proved too tough, with a 16-3 major decision of his Berkeley Springs foe.

In his consolation semifinal match Mason recorded his third pin of the tournament by sticking Dylan Hashman of St. Marys in 2:14 to advance to the third place match. Mason found the going much tougher in his consolation final battle, but prevailed with a well earned 7-5 decision over Paul Goodrich of Calhoun County.

"Matt had a great senior season," said Berkeley Springs coach Darrell Bennett. I have enjoyed coaching Matt the last four years. He is a very good wrestler, but a better person. I only wish the best for Matt."

Also placing in the top six was freshman Tyson Bennett at 145 pounds, the son of head coach Darrell Bennett. Bennett, who finished fourth in the regional tournament, started the state meet with an upset of Shady Spring's Chuck Meadows. Meadows, the Region III champion, was pinned by Bennett in the third period. After disposing of Meadows, Bennett was pinned in his championship quarterfinal match by Drew Stevens of Oak Glen, making Bennett's trip to the awards stand a long one.

In a second round consolation match, Bennett prevailed over Weir's Mike Merico 6-3, before beating Williamstown's Ryan Elder 5-2 to advance to the consolation bracket semifinals. David Bonecutter defeated Bennett in a hard-fought match, 7-5. Bennett, who suffered a slight injury in the Bonecutter bout, defaulted his fifth place match to Stevens of Oak Glen.

"Tyson didn't wrestle particularly well last week at Keyser," said his father. "This week he showed up. I was really proud of the way he fought back."

Bennett became the first freshman from Berkeley Springs to place at the state meet in a few years. He finished the year with a record of 14-5, after being injured for most of the season.

Another freshman, AJ Blankenship, had his dreams of placing end when he was injured in his championship quarterfinal match against Robert Blind of Webster County.

With the score tied at 0-0, late in the second period, Blankenship came down hard on his head and was unable to continue. It was disappointing for Blankenship, who defeated Bishop Donahue's Jimmy Blake, 7-2, in the opening round, but he has three years remaining to reach his dream. Blankenship ended his freshman season with a regional title and a record of 38-13.

Junior, Randy Waugh and Sophomore Lucas Andrews also represented Berkeley Springs in Huntington.

Waugh opened the tournament with a second period pin over Matt Osborne of Greenbrier West in the 160 pound bracket. In his quarterfinal match against Corey Burgess of Roane County, Waugh wrestled a good match, but made one mistake that led to his 12-7 defeat.

He then met Joey Adkins from Clay County in his first consolation round match and dropped a tough 7-3 decision, ending his state tournament.

119 pound Lucas Andrews went 0-2. Andrews lost his opening round match to Judd Billings of Ravenswood, before losing to Greenbrier West's Danny Kessler.

Waugh finished his junior year with a record of 44-12, while Andrews completed his sophomore season with 33 wins and 21 loses.

"We brought some young kids down here," Bennett said. "It is a great learning experience for them. We didn't do as well as we would have liked, but four of them will be back next year. We also have a couple of young guys that didn't qualify, who will have an excellent opportunity next year."

March 6, 2004
comments: First of all i would like to say that a team trophy for the Junior State Tournament Team Champions is not a priority for our team. Our Junior High wrestlers come from our program and some join after they get to Junior High.Our kids sign up by Dec 15 each year. We work with the kids all summer long so our kids can become better wrestlers. I havent seen any other programs on southside work with the kids during the summer.Now if you think that we load up to win a trophy you need to drop by our practices, watch and learn our goals for the kids. This P- - ing contest is childish between our teams on southside. If you have your kids best interest in hand it dosent matter what team he comes through. In the summer time they all should work togeather to get better. If you would like i can give you last years TEAM TROPHY if it is so important to you. . Its just a dust collecter!! I hope that i havent offended you but this is fact. Check the wall at South, you will see that most of the names on the wall of Champions, wrestled during the summer with the coaches that put the time in for the kids!! Our goal is to watch then on the last Saturday night in February on mat #1.. In case you dont understand that , it is the state FINALS!!!!!!

Doc, Thank you for a year of hard work to make this sight possible. Jenny Sullivan and i are dear friends, i am very thankfull that you two put the time an effert in so we all can enjoy this sight. Thank you Dean Moore 474-3327 I sure hope that you print this artical!!

March 6, 2004
comments: does anyone how many freshmen placed at states A-AA and AAA? If anyone knows them aLL do u know their records for this year?

March 6, 2004
comments: from Cougar and PHS fan: Besides the "little brothers" of a couple of the PHS wrestlers, we will also have Kyle McPeek coming up as a PHS 9th grader next year. He is a very hard worker at practice and very dedicated. He will score some points for the Big Reds for sure!

March 6, 2004
email: john26101@hotmail.com
comments: editor why not ask the officials to step up there game as we do the wrestlers and have the boys wrestle not enough stalling and a lot of pins took longer than they should. ASlso I think a ref should remove himself from any match during the regionals or state tourneys that involves people from their hometown or school. Since you didn't post my last post on feb 29th how about this one is it tame enough for you God forbid that we should ever criticize officials of any sport after all they are god on the mat, field, floor. Ps feel free to edit this post until your hearts is content that you kept a valid observation from being offensive to the only professionally paid people on the wrestling mat during the action they should be at their best.

March 6, 2004
comments: hey doc you need to add Drew Mauck, Fairmont Senior 215 4th place to the top wrestlers. thanx
Editor's note: Er, um, I know its artibrary, and Mauck is a fine wrestler, but the format of the "top wrestlers" page is seniors and juniors who placed in the top three, sophomores who placed in the top five, and freshmen who placed in the top six.

March 6, 2004
comments: Bad luck for my boy, dislocated 3 fingers on his right hand tonight. Last practice before states and POW. He says he is going, but the 130lb. 11-12 class just got more interresting! How many times have you heard of kids in all sports taking a big one right before D-day?

March 6, 2004
comments: A lot of people say things like, "Seeding doesn't matter", and "The cream rises to the top". Well, I agree with this only to a point. Seeding does serve a purpose, in my opinion. If a tournament is going to be seeded, it should be worth the time to at least try to do it properly. The problem with this is that some people don't see the value in it and therefore send in vague information for a potential seed and essentially mess up the process. A seeded wrestler gets unseeded and is out of place, so to speak. Lack of information or representatives not present at the seeding meeting causes organizers to just have to do the best they can, I would guess. Perhaps some people intentionally throw their kids into the draw because of their dislike for seeding. If you know you've got a good one, it isn't really funny to throw it in everyone's face like that. You really should not mock the process just because you don't like it. It is my opinion that wrestlers who have achieved at a certain level worthy of seeds should not get clumped into the same bracket, which often makes for a very uninteresting final. To me, seperating these higher-skilled kids is far more important than seperating members of the same team, which everybody seems to do readily whether seeded or not. My experience has been that seeding is not a perfect science. It changes from week to week depending on individual performance and on who the competitors are. It will even often turn out to be disappointing or off because seeds do get beaten. Nobody can really predict the outcome of all the matches or if a seed will be upset. For these larger tournaments that are seeded, however, I believe that the progression of the tournament is somehow better when people try to seed it properly. I know that to be the champion you have to win them all anyway, but I think each round should generally get tougher and tougher and this doesn't always happen when it is unseeded. I'm not so naive as to think all the best kids can avoid each other- there will be plenty of good kids meeting early. Seeding beyond the top four can get hairy and even futile, but at least some kids that are readily-acknowledged to be top seeds should be apart if possible. One problem I have with random draws is that I believe sometimes directors see an obvious imbalance and seperate only a couple kids and leave the rest as is. If this happens, is it really random, or partially seeded? For some of the younger age groups, perhaps seeding is less useful. If the outcome of so many of these little guys' matches depends on who falls on whom first, maybe a random bracket would be fine. Again, it is just my opinion that honest effort seeding is useful, at least for the upper age groups. Give the organizers what they need to hash out seeds. Then, if your kid doesn't get seeded as high as you would have liked, just tell him the "cream" story.

March 6, 2004
comments: I did see the Bonecutter vs Dye 145# match. it look like Dye was trying to get control then Bonecutter went into that roll, the next thing I knew it was over. I don't know what it was Bonecutter did but it was slick.

March 6, 2004
comments: I wrestled in he 145 A/AA class this year. it is the toughest class I have ever been in.I think the best class at states. if I would have been in 140 or 152 I would have placed this year. maybe next year. glad to see Hughes,Duryea,Bonecutter,Dye,and Elder gone next year. maybe I can win. at least I'LL have a chance.

March 6, 2004
comments: I heard Chris Ramey will be at the Mason County Open, for those of you that dont know him......Watch OUt! Thats for sure.

March 6, 2004
comments: I am HIGHLY offended about how often the phrase "I am HIGHLY offended" is being used on the forum.
and I would like it deleted.
ZenGrappling.com

March 6, 2004
comments: Shaun,there are no words to describe how very proud we all are of you.All of your hard work and dedication to your Wrestling has paid off for you. Just to see your face was all that was needed to see how happy you were on that Sat Night. You went out on that mat with confidence and it showed,and we knew you could do it. When you finished your match your BIGGEST FAN came down to greet you.God only knows how your DAD cleared that railing to get to you,but he did.You accomplished a feat that alot of people never thought would happen.But we always knew you could do whatever you set out to do. Congrats to all of the PSHS STATE CHAMPS Chad,Codi,Kyle. We Love You Shaun and are so proud.MOM,DAD,JOSH and ASHLEY.

March 6, 2004
comments: Just wanna say congrats to the dominant Oak Glen team and proving to them all you could bring it home. With only a couple seniors and many underclassman, and all the critics sayin no way possible, you proved them ALL wrong and showed what you could do. Congrats to Northcraft, that was a heck of a win over Metz. Congrats to the other 3 champs from og as well ( miller, potts, chambers ) From the looks OG will have a Dominant team next few years with some good jr. high kids comin up. Keep up the great work!

March 6, 2004
comments: I think the Madison weight system is where the wrestlers weigh in the morning of the tournament or match and they are grouped with other wrestlers of the same relative weight plus or minus a few pounds. Another way of doing it is to list the wrestlers from heaviest to lightest and cut off each weight group to how many ever wrestlers you want per bracket. Doing it either of the ways mentioned above spreads the wrestlers out so each wrestler has potentially the same amount of matches. It works well for smaller tournaments since you have the potential of only one kid showing up in a weight class. There are a couple of drawbacks. 1) If there are a couple heavy kids that are alot heavier than anyone else. 2) If there are a couple of kids alot lighter than everyone else. I hope this helps.

comments: To Doc:
I know a little about the madison system. It is a system used to pair weights in a tournament. It is best used for off season events so kids don't have worry about their weight. The way it works is all the kids send their actual weights in and are paired up with others their age within about 10% of their body wieght. It would work like this you have 10 kids that are 9/10, their weights are 56,57,61, 59, 54, 67,69,72,76,70; the pairings would be the kids 61 and under would wrestle each other and the kids 67 to 76 would wrestle each other. The kids still weigh in the morning of the events but the moving up or down in weight doesn't happen and kids are not having to run off a pound to make weight. There is no "making weight", you wrestle what you weigh.
Hope this helps!!

March 4, 2004
comments: Hedgesville Analysis
Josh Zimmerman - Didn't see that much of you this year so keep working in the off season.

Andrew Richardson - heard you were a first year wrestler, if so i'm impressed, keep working and stay at that weight if you can.

Justin Everhart-saw you get better as the year went along, think you are too weak where you are, should be up where your brother wrestled a few years ago, think you'd be more effective, keep working hard, it will come.

Dustin Foltz - Get yourself back in the game, you are running out of time to get serious about this, saw you wrestle harder in jr. league, hope this hard assessment gets you motivated.

Troy Foltz-Channel that anger into strategy and nobody can touch you.

Derrick Young - Just a few finishing touches to add for next year's masterpiece, it will happen!

Mike Barrett - heard you were a first year wrestler too, work hard in the off season, go to some camps, hope you play football, if you don't you should, it will help.

As for anyone I missed sorry, but I think that covers who's returning. This is just an assessment from a neutral third party. Take it for what it's worth.

March 4, 2004
comments: I agree with the Big Red Fan, the coaches at Parkersburg High School have worked hard with the boys of the Big Red Wrestling Team and they should be very proud. These coaches and wrestlers have worked so hard and it has paid off. I would also like to say congrats to Ryan Dearman, Lou Thomas and Robert Shyver for going out in style. What a great win for the seniors of this team. To the rest of the team, keep up the good work and keep faith in this coaching staff and working as a team, with that you can accomplish anything. GO BIG REDS !!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOU BACK TO BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!

March 4, 2004
comments: Jordan and I will be at states we are wrestling 7&8 47 pnds.Not wrestling 7&8 45.

March 4, 2004
comments: First of all, I would like to say that the support high school wrestlers get in this state is amazing. As a high school softball player getting someone to show up for our game was a feat! With saying that, I would like to say I am now in college and love wreslting, its always been my favorite sport, but the petty fights between adults is ridiculous. I am 20 years old and I can see how immature some people are being. Not to say that everyone that posts on here is, but you must admit, some are a little out of control. PHS won, congrats...It honestly doesn't matter if you took home the trophy. I was there, I saw Parkersburg South wrestle all weekend and it was great. You can say that with Dunn we could have won. Had Curt not been injured we could have won. The list could go on all day, the fact is, when the finals were over Saturday PHS had the most points. You didn't see our coaches or our wrestlers upset, they knew they did the best they could. Its not about winning or losing but its about your team and hard work. South has that. They always have and they always will. I guess you could label me as a "slider" if you want. I didn't agree with the events after regionals. I didn't agree with what occurred at regionals. But in the end it will make our boys stronger. I have heard things said about PSHS first hand, it doesn't matter. I may "trash" talk about the opposite side of the river and they may not like it. It's my right though as well as theirs...if you don't believe please take a look at the Constitution. Do I need to post it on the internet...no! Grow up! Be the bigger person for once, and that goes for the entire city of Parkersburg, it's done. May have or may not have turned out the way you wanted it, but never the less, it is over. What will be next season will be. You wrestle the match to find out who wins, I personally believe that next year my team will win. Do you need to argue over it online? I believe that my team as a whole and healthy was better this year. But now it is over!

March 4, 2004
comments: to Iron: Call me crazy, but I think when one multiple national champion beats another multiple national champion, he should be the favorite to win the Dutton Award. Rader's come back from his threatening season ending knee injury is impressive, he has a world of talent, but I think if the Smiths lock-up again next year, the winner would be the odds on favorite for the Dutton Award. And I'm not the one pushing my little brother.

March 4, 2004
comments: To whom this concerns, in my opinion take this however you want but I have been following wrestling for years and have also been in some of the State placers corners for South. This a wonderful bunch of fine young wrestlers. But, just because you are not at the top doesn't mean you didn't get as far as you could considering some weight classes this year. I have read the articles in the News since I returned from states The article on PHS named all their wrestlers. The article on South only contained Champions this is great. But if South would have won the State comments would have been made about all the wrestlers. Please give some credit to the other contenders also. These boys would like a little praise also. Because some of these champions South and PHS had nobody to contend. I hope this is not my last year in the corner! I've been saying this for a while. Good Luck to ALL South Place Winners, Give credit where credit is due.

March 4, 2004
comments: I'd would be the first one to thank Mike Litton for coaching our boy's through their youth years. But lets give credit where credit is due! I would like to thank Scheny,Chris,Steve,Troy, and Tom Brock for taking them to the next levcl! They have spent alot of hours of hard work and dedication to THE BIG RED WRESTLING PROGRAM over the last several years!! I would also like to thank the boys for their hard work and dedication to this sport! Our boy's wouldn't trade their coaching staff for any other coach's in the Parkersburg area.

March 4, 2004
comments: I'll wade in on the bout and Medina system. The tournament bouts are assigned numbers in the order they are to be contested. If you have a bye in a big event your number could be say 126. That means I know that I have 125 bouts worth of time until my match. Depending on the number of mats this could be an eternity or not too long. For the sake of explanation let's say four mats. Don't know if this will format correctly but I'll try. The Medina board might look like this
           Mat 1      Mat 2        Mat 3        Mat 4 
Now Up       1          2            3            4
On Deck      5          6            7            8
On Hold      9          10           11           12

This way you know what mat you are on and how many matches are ahead of you. When it gets close to your number, warm up, when you are on hold - report to the mat. As the day progresses, the numbers move up and more are added as things are updated. It can either be done with a large board like Point Pleasant or other ways but the best I have seen was done at the Barboursville Inv. this year where they used a PowerPoint with a video projector and shone it up on large white wall. Everyone in the gym could see what mat, when, etc. Best of all no blaring or hard to hear PA system. (they are always either impossible to hear or deafening). The brackets and bout sheets have the same numbers - usually printed by computer so wrestlers, fans, etc who have a set of brackets can tell who is wrestling who at ANY tome during the whole event. Point Pleasant uses the computer system - I think part was bought and the coaches & wives developed the rest of the software. It is by far the best way, IMO, to run an event. There is no lag time because the matches are assigned to the mats where they are being completed first. There is no scrambling to find the mat, the gym is quiet. I can't say enough about how well this works. We have attended the TSMSC tournament at Point as well as the Olympic Duals and they as the smoothest events I have ever gone to. With 26-30 teams we still finish quick at the TSMSC and at the Duals everyone gets 10 matches in 2 days and we often finish the second day by dinner time. As a side note, the TSMSC may be moving to our area next year if Point Pleasant gives it up as they have indicated. Milton, Cammack and Barboursville want to co-sponsor it and hold it at Barboursville's gym. It used to be a large high school and the gym is huge. We can run 5-6 mats, there is plenty of parking and the mall is just 2 miles away with places to stay, eat, shop, etc. More details later . . .

March 4, 2004
comments: Re: OVAC Info
If I were you, I would contact Tom Rataiczak. If anyone can point you in the right direction, Tom can. His email is listed as tom@ovac.org and his other contact information is on the OVAC site at http://ovac.org/officers2.asp?OT=Board%20and%20Representatives.

March 4, 2004
comments: PHS is gonna be strong again next year, so isn't South. You can't take anything away from either team. They both work hard and are dedicated. Andy Thomas is a big plus for Big Reds, I'm not sure if there is any other freshman coming up. Ewing will fall right in place next year, to bad he had trouble making weight this year, he would have been right there with the top three placers no doubt...Hopefully they will be able to keep Hayes. Keep up the good work Schenny, see you next year.

March 4, 2004
comments: To clarify a point I did not say Mineral Wells was a better team I just stated that they had more champions than any other team. At 12 and under they are one tough team. The Mini-Patriots have alot of Junior High kids and alot of them was fed by Mineral Wells. IT doesn't matter because it is a win-win situation for Edison, Blennerhasset and Parkersburg South. Most of these kids go to school togather and yes there is some rivalry between the kids but that is a good thing. We are all working towards the same goal of keeping Wood County and the surrounding area on top. Sorry if I stepped on your toes to speak. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Wood County Team at the states like Southern WV is doing? Think about that for a second.

March 4, 2004
comments: Fan: any open HWT's ever go to that tourny? I am thinking about going.

March 4, 2004
comments: The kid that beat Mitch from Ohio, Eric Lakia, went to Riverside High school

March 4, 2004
comments: Someone asked how many repeat state champions there were this past year.There were 6 in AAA and 5 in AA/A.Next year there will be 7 underclassmen in AAA and 8 in AA/A defending their titles so we have that many great wrestlers to look forward to repeat.

March 4, 2004
comments: Mr. Editor --
I read this on the site :
comments: Doc
I am just a reader of all the fan's and have enjoyed High School Wrestling since I was 13. I understand the editing that must be done but I did not care for the post on March 2nd to Scheny. I do not care to be labeled a "slider."
I am glad to know that I am not the only one around here who is HIGHLY offended

March 4, 2004
comments: To the people attending the State Jr. Championships this weekend. Kids are seeded according to records turned in, my view on this a lot of time seeding these kids is wasted. Throw them in the pot and wrestle out. Creame comes to the top! This includes my kid who has a favorable seed.

March 4, 2004
comments: To the person ,regarding the recruitment of wrestlers. The mini Pats say their kids are a paid member of the team before 12/30. I have no choice but to believe them, wheather they wrestle Jr. High or not!! Most of the Cougars don't wrestle Jr. High and watch Andy Thomas and you will see why!

March 4, 2004
comments: The Jr. Patriots do no recruiting, these are Jr. High kids that have come up through the Pat. Jr. Club and are not allowed to wrestle with them until the Jr High season is over.

March 4, 2004
comments: Rader and Tucker would be a fun match to watch! I have never seen Rader wrestle so I could not make a prediction.

March 4, 2004
comments: To: the person asking about the Mason Open, we will be taking 15-12 kids. Last week we went to a tournment there, and by the count there I would be safe to say they will have a Boat load!! They started the bout system there for the 1st time, the more people use the bout the more people will like it!
Editor's note: Now that the season is over, and as folks have time, there's a couple of topics I'd like someone to educate me (and others perhaps) about. I used to direct a youth tourney here in Kingwood, but have been out of the youth circuit for a few years.

What is the bout system? How does it work?

What is a Medina board? I've heard folks talk about that. How does that work?

What is the Madison weight system? I've snooped around the internet looking for info on this, but can't find any. Anyone have the details on this???

March 4, 2004
comments: I saw the the match that Iron is referring to. The clock did not start properly and showed 1:59 on it when the pin occurred. Scheny looked at the time keeper who seemed to signal that the elapsed time should have been 6 seconds.

March 4, 2004
comments: I'm sick of people talking about the pee wee state tournament. I coach pee wee in the Clarksburg area, If you want your kids to wrestle the best in the state THEN GO TO PARKERSBURG, LOOK @ SOUTH AND PHS THAT SHOULD SAY IT ALL.

I would like to say what a great job Mike Mason is doing with Bridgeport wrestling.

March 4, 2004
comments: This is for anybody from the OVAC or Northern Panhandle. What do you think of a match between Brandon Rader of Parkersburg and Clay Tucker from Martins Ferry, OH? Who do you think would win? One thing is for sure, it would be an awesome match!

March 4, 2004
comments: Anyone else have Chad Porter winning the state on here besides me? Did'nt think so.Not even the great Superman.

March 4, 2004
comments: I don't know who takes care of this site,but you are to be commended for the fine job you are doing. I am proud of both schools,Parkersburg South and Parkersburg High, and will continue to root for the big reds as long as they are not wrestling South. So as Parkersburgers lets all stick together, as "champions" should.

March 4, 2004
comments: To Need Help
I would venture a guess that if you would contact the Smith Carpeting place that helps sponsor the ovac that he could put you in contact wtih someone in charge.

March 4, 2004
comments: It seems that the Jr. Patriots do alot of "recruiting" before the Jr. States, until there is a Jr. High State Tournament the winner of the Jr States will usually be whomever has the most older kids.

March 3, 2004
comments: Doc
I am just a reader of all the fan's and have enjoyed High School Wrestling since I was 13. I understand the editing that must be done but I did not care for the post on March 2nd to Scheny. I do not care to be labeled a "slider."
Please just respond when and if you have the time. I know you are really busy but this post really got to me. Just didn't like the label.
Thank you
Editor's note: I hate to sound stupid, but apparantly I'm not up on the latest insult lingo. I don't know what a slider is, what it refers to, what it means, or why it should be offensive. So I posted it. In the context of the post to which you refer, I presumed that a slider was one who has "... trashed, accused and harrassed you (the coach) and your wrestlers." If you have, in fact, trashed, accused, and harrassed the PHS wrestlers, then I suppose the term would pertain to you. However, I'm sure you have not done this, so I would think the term does not apply to you.

March 3, 2004
comments: Congrats to Hedgesville for proving the naysayers wrong. Saw a lot of good things and potential for next year.
Will Roberts - stay at 103 if you can, get stronger, and keep your head up, it will come!
Joey Shetler - stay where you are too and with that said nothing needs to be said with you, it WILL happen!
Justin Zimmerman - get on the weights, get aggressive and you'll have a shot to place, stay where you are also.
Josh Grimm - keep working hard and it will pay off, don't slide too far up the scale and it will happen for you too.
More to come later

March 3, 2004
comments: Does anyone know what wrestlers go to the Mason County open tourny? is there a lot of wrestlers that go?

March 3, 2004
comments: Well South Wrestling Fan: Sorry you had to miss the state tourny......it was a great one. Maybe someone taped the finals or some of souths matches for you. The thing about the returnees for the schools. Money guys comin up for south obviously munday, i dont know who else for south who's comin up that could make a big impact. PHS gets Ewing and Thomas, I thought Ewing coulda placed runner up at states due to the pill if he got to go. It will be a barn burner again, PHS only won by 20 points.

March 3, 2004
comments: I am wanting to do some research on the OVAC tournament. I am looking for the winners of the tournament over the past 30 or so years. The OVAC web site only has the list for the past 5-6 years and no links that I coould find to access this info. I also could not find any phone # or other way to contact anyone with the OVAC that might know. Does anyone know where I could gain access to this info? If so please list in a post here. Thanks in advance.

March 3, 2004
comments: To Waldo Ino, you are absolutely crazy if you think shaun smith will win the dutton award, one upset doesnt determine who wins it. If Rader wins his 4th title, then he will most likely get it, if not, I'd say Easter gets it. Whoever took major offense to my rader post.....well it was the truth so deal with it, I didnt mean any harm. For the fastest pin.. It says rader pinned in 15 seconds.......well i dont know how they determined that because the clock never even started when he pinned!!!! oh yeah and South Wrestling Fan....your PROBABLY right.....its not prolly..haha

March 3, 2004
comments: Good Point Delligatti did turn out to be the real deal. Is it true that he was personally tutored by nick hedricks expert tutaliage? But ne way great job matt im sure u finally shut up ur doubters.

March 3, 2004
comments: I would have to say Shaun Smith is in the driver's seat for next year's Dutton award. Integrity counts a lot in the Dutton voting. But the real favorite would be the winner of a Shaun-Mitch rematch at the state, if it occurs in 2005. This year, my vote for Dutton award goes to Kyle Walters 1st, then Kyle Turnbull 2nd.

March 3, 2004
comments: how many repeat state champs were there this year?

March 3, 2004
comments: The MAC Championships are being held at Ohio University at Athens this weekend. For more info checkout the following website
www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/wrestling/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=2206

March 3, 2004
comments: anyone have a prediction for the jr. states in the 13-15 125lb. class. who is Basich from wheeling and K. street from new martinsville. The jarvis wrestler from Roane is good to. Did M. Fordyce wrestle for edison jr. high?

March 3, 2004
comments: Folks in Parkersburg could fill in the Little Kanawha River and the "adults" who run the town would still draw a line in the mud seperating the two sides of the river.I do like the rivalry,which has been relatively friendly,but maybe the adults could set a better example for the kids.You know which side of the river I live on,but I have many friends on both sides.I also cheer for PHS's wrestlers unless they are wrestling against a South wrestler or I may choose to root for another team's wrestler if it helps my team's cause.I'm not cheering against a particular wrestler but wishing the other prevails.When you pay the admission price you have that right.The grassy knoll was probably somewhere on Blennerhassett Island....but I don't think we ever had an Oswald wrestle for South or PHS (smile).

March 3, 2004
comments: To the Nitro youth, I'm sorry you will miss the States. I noticed where you mentioned Micheal Hamilton and Jake Alexander both of them wrestle 5 and 6, next year they move up and Hunter is already up there. I hope you aren't injured. Good Luck

March 3, 2004
comments: Iron: If you look at just the wrestlers for South and PHS that placed at the state tourney and awarded points for the returners such as: 6 for 1st/5 for 2nd etc....you would have 26 for South and 20 for PHS.Pretty close.Throw in Andy Thomas for PHS and Nic Munday for South and it looks like another barnburner next year.And...come on Iron,it's probably, not "prolly"!

March 3, 2004
comments: To: 2004-2005 Scouting Report
Watch for incoming freshman Ronnell Green (103 state champ Ron's brother) and Bryce Rush (Abby's brother). And there is another Durbin (soph next year?) at Brooke.

March 3, 2004
comments: Mitch's loss was not to CP Schlatter, it was to Eric Lakia from a school in Southeastern Ohio, I don't remember the name exactly. Lakia was a fine wrestler in his own right, as he was an Ohio placewinner more than once, but not CP. Just thought I'd clear that up.

March 3, 2004
comments: Geesh, the Mud River is IN OUR SCHOOL so often that I'm not sure which side of it I am on! All I was trying to do was answer a question - not take sides. We are not big time - our town just got it's second red light a couple of years ago and we actually had a holdup of a gas station where the perps escaped on horseback a few years back! I have never been to the grassy knoll or Roswell either.

March 3, 2004
comments: I would like to thank everybody at 7&8 45 pounds that my son jordan has wrestled.There is a group of kids around that weight that has a real future if they stick it out.JORDAN & i will miss wrestling you at states.IF it wasnt for kids like ritchie miller (young guns)Austin mcvey (wirt)kyle harris from ritchie c jordan would never have improved.Thanks for being good sports good luck at states.Next year will b even harder with D. ALEXANDER SP M. HAMILTON. AND J. MARTIN and dont forget hunter cline who could win states this year.

Thanks corry and Jordan allen

March 3, 2004
comments: Mr Editor
i read this on the forum...
comments: Dont want to start anything bad here but Raders pin in the finals match sealed the team victory for PHS. South couldnt catch them after Raders pin. Hows that for the controversy. This prolly wont make the board, but it was just an interesting fact.

I am HIGHLY offended .. i would like the post deleted
Editor's note: No need for offense, Mr. Highly offended. This post simply states a fact. Either it is correct or incorrect.

Anyone who attended the finals could have observed that ...
a) prior to the finals, PHS lead south by 18 points.
b) PHS had 6 in the finals, south had 4 in the finals. The maximum points south could score in the finals was 24, if all four won by pin.
c) It was mathematically possible for South go ahead of PHS if all of the PHS wrestlers lost and all four of south's finalists winning, with two winning by pin to tie, and another winning by major, tech, or pin.
d) After Shyver's decision at 25, and Rader's pin at 30, PHS went ahead by 28, and it became impossible for south to catch up.
e) If Rader had lost, PHS would have been ahead by 22. south could have still won if their four wrestlers had won by pin and all of PHS wrestlers had lost.

So, what do you find offensive about this??? I have taken off the last two posts you complained about. Are you trying to jerk my chain?

March 3, 2004
comments: What ever happened to morals,ethics and true sportmanship in wrestling? Is it win at all cost without regard to the kids who are involved? Adults need to take control of situations that may effect the mental and emotional outcome of a kids life.What price do you put on this and again...is winning the only thing that matters? I'd rather have my son or daughter learn the right thing than have them face adversity in their young lives.

March 3, 2004
comments: I just wanted to congratulate the wrestlers from Point who placed at the state tourney. Good job, Dave, James, Justin & Brandon! But most of all I want to congratulate my son, Jacob Carr! I knew you could do it! We are all so proud of you! What a way to end your senior career and to prove the polls wrong! I sure will miss watching you wrestle!! Love ya! I also want to say congrats to my favorite Williamstown wrestler, Lee Lauderman! Way to go! You've got a great high school career to be proud of. Can't wait till season starts next year!

March 3, 2004
comments: OK, so who are some good up and coming freshman to look out for around the state next year?

What about any other incoming transfers, newcomers, wrestlers returning from injury, etc?

March 3, 2004
comments: Great job this year for joey lindamood..... this year he was so physical and aggressive and went out and won. Tough loss in the finals but deligatti was the real deal. Working out with lou really helped joey improve, I look forward to seeing him wrestle these next 2 years.

March 3, 2004
comments: Thanks to all of our friends from West Virginia! Jacob Beat Rella in double OT by a score of 3-2. Leave it to my son to never make it easy on his old dad! LOL. We are VERY proud! Anyone looking for results or discussion for Ohio wrestling can go to jjhuddle.com this site has probably the best. Jake wrestled Chance Litton at the Beast of the East and won I think 7-2, but he wrestled Sean Smith from South 2 times this year and lost at the Iron man 9-10 then won 3-1 at our dual(this was at 152) He finished the year 41-4. His career record counting the two years at Nitro was 164-17. We look forward to watching him wrestle in college next year at Ohio University. Sounds like the State Tournamant in WV was another barn burner as usual, congrats to all the State Champions and State Placers! To coin an old Ken Chertow phrase "Hard work makes dreams come true" I now know how true this really is!

March 3, 2004
email: WOULDNT YA LIKE 2 KNOW?
comments: Well, I posted a comment earlier this week and it wasnt displayed! Did anyone see the Humphrey/Turnbull match? If we can really call that a match?? Turnbulls saying in the newspaper quoted " I think we both knew he wasnt going to hold me down for 2 minutes" ...."It wasnt one of my best tournaments but I'll take it"... If anyone has any comments on this match please post them!
Editor's note: In answer to your query, since Humphrey and Turnbull wrestled in front of a few thousand people, I suspect someone saw it. It was a good match. Turnbull was on top an entire period, and Humphrey failed to score from the bottom. I believe this is called riding time and is rewarded in college. Turnbull did score from the bottom, and thus won the match 1-0.

March 3, 2004
comments: To: Lookin Ahead, PHS loses one Thomas but gains another, LOL. The only spot PHS will have trouble in is filling the 275, but they where looking when Dearman showed up. Parkersburg and South just reload every year. Look at the Jr. States after this week end and lookat the names from Parkersburg area. Some will be 1st year, some 2nd year and on up. Andy Thomas will step in and PHS will not miss a beat, the year after Matt Lindamood will be in the zone and he might be better than Mr. Excitment Joe. Until people in the state come up with youth programs to match Wood Co. they are behind. Mike Mason in Bridgeport is making a charge with youth.

March 3, 2004
comments: To Spencer Fan, Clarkson works hard and has a pretty good attitude, so he'll get better. To win in high school, he will have to get much stronger and develop a more aggressive attack on his feet, I believe. Jarvis will still be in middle school next year and should do fine. He is growing rapidly, however, and could be as big as 135 next season. I do not think Maldonado would be able to beat Boggs if they were in the same weight right now, but I also think Maldonado will be a weight class heavier than Boggs next season, so they probably won't be fighting each other for a position anyway. Roane does not have an abundance of these kinds of wrestlers as it is, so they will want these two in different weight classes if they can. The Spencer team only lost four 8th graders, so they should be solid next year. They will need to get more kids out to fill the upper weights if they expect to match up with the best teams, though. Roane is still relatively young. They only lost a couple seniors, so they should be a very solid high school team as well. The Roane Lightning youth wrestling club is gradually gaining participation and momentum and will be sending up some talented kids in the future also. I expect some of the Roane kids will go to at least one wrestling camp. Most are involved in other sports, too, so Roane kids generally stay busy.

March 3, 2004
comments: This message is intended for Youth WV. State Lover (how can you be so naïve!) and others in the state who feel the Parkersburg Youth State Championships are the "real" youth state finals. As mentioned in a previous message, the only way this could be true is if ALL the best wrestlers attended, which is certainly not going to be the case. I can guarantee you that the Jefferson Junior Wrestling team would have multiple state champions, and also would be very, very close to placing 1st , if not doing so at the Parkersburg tournament. Unfortunately, every year this tournament falls on the same weekend as the Mason Dixon League finals that JJWA competes in.otherwise they would be there. I challenge all teams and youth wrestlers in the state, including the Parkersburg Youth team(s), to attend the "other" Youth Championship tournament at East Fairmont on the 13th. If JJWA can travel 3.5 hours to attend this tournament, then the Parkersburg team could handle 2 or 2.5 hours. The only way you can be the best is to beat the best, so let's find out who that is next weekend at East Fairmont!!!

March 3, 2004
comments: TO JIM LEMASTERS: Thanks for you response. As you said you have no problem with the WVSSAC, we do. But Im not sure which side of the River Your school is located on. It seem every time a Southsider calls with questions and concerns, we're handed an answer like" why dont you let the coaches handle these kinds of concerns" Cant wait till a new head secretary is named. But anyway thanks again...

Doc, you seem not to print some of my forums do to "trash talk". Im wondering which trash talk should be posted,if any?? It seems like you print, that one wrestler is going to dominate another wrestler, or one wrestler is not in the same "class" that another wrestler is in, or even that a certain forum that has been posted is stupid: example, Hayes/Mccray match Lloyd Christmas forum. If you noticed I seem to only trash ...... No, It doesnt matter if I have hard evidence, I just have my own opinion, just like they do!! ........... On another, note several people has mentioned that thier forums are not about trash but about congradulating wrestlers in the state tournament, and their forums are not being posted. Any advise or answers?

Editor's note: Well,......, in court hard evidence does matter. It's called due process. Also, be careful about being critical of a sitting judge. There is a crime known as contempt of court - I don't know what constitutes contempt of court, but I do know that I don't want to go anywhere near there. As I read the newspaper account of the court hearing, there was no request made to prohibit someone from wrestling - but rather the relief that was requested was to allow someone to be added to the tournament. I'm no legal expert, but I think judges rarely rule on issues for which no ruling was requested. Nevertheless, if you disapprove of the judge's handling of the case, don't vote for that judge when he runs for re-election.

If you don't like the conduct of the WVSSAC, take your complaints to the State Board of Education. If you don't like the way the local Board of Education is handling matters in your county, then don't vote for them next election. Better still, run for the BOE yourself and fix things.

No, I'll not publish libel from some anonymous poster accusing a professional of being a cheat. If you feel so strongly about this, file a written complaint with the Superintendent of schools in your county. If you receive no satisfaction at that level, take your complaint to the BOE. Its easy to throw stones at someone via a nameless post on an internet forum. Why not step up to the plate like these wrestlers do every time they step on the mat? Get out of the cheap seats and put your name and reputation on the line. When you file your formal complaint be sure to include your name, address, and phone number. And I suggest bringing an attorney with you to the meeting.

If you want to blame me for your troubled lot in life, O.K. Bring it on. I have even had some posters opine that because of my reluctance to print (their version) of "the truth," that I am somehow involved in this vast conspiracy against Parkersburg South. For the record, I am not part of any conspiracy against Parkersburg South or any other team. I have never been on the grassy knoll in Dallas. I've never been to Area 51, and I don't know anything about the Lindburgh baby either.

Finally, if someone's post has not appeared, send me a copy of the post via email, let me take a look, and I'll tell you by return email why I didn't post it.

March 3, 2004
comments: Rick James was a Georgia state champion at 112 lbs in 1965.

March 3, 2004
comments: I want to let anyone who is planning on wrestling in the offseason, to holler at Jason Ward. He ran off-season classes last year, and it was a great opportunity for wrestlers to get an opportunity to stay active in the summer months. Anyone who is familiar with WV wrestling knows who Jason is, and he has accomplishments that are second to none within the state (including runner-up at high school nationals and freestyle all-american). He runs a very structured class, including technique, hard drilling, live wrestling, and conditioning. If anyone is interested: teamfactory@yahoo.com for details.

March 3, 2004
email: to looking ahead
comments: Kelly will be back too

March 3, 2004
comments: Congrats to all the Point wrestlers and coaches! It was a great year! And next year will be even better! James-"that freshman from Point" (as you were referred to often)--we were so proud of you as you stood on the winners platform with 4 seniors and 1 junior!! "way to go Casto!" And to everyone involved with Mason County Wrestling--you're very special people! THANK YOU!

March 3, 2004
comments: Cody Potts Pinned an opponent in 4 seconds at the St.Clairsville tournament in Ohio

March 3, 2004
comments: Someone asked who had beat Mitch Smith prior to the Saturday's finals. I was told that it was C.P. Schlatter at a Tournament in Ohio. This was last year when Mitch was sophmore and C.P. was a senior. For those of you that do not know, C.P. Schlatter is a 4 time Ohio state champion with a career record of 165-1. He is currently wrestling for the University of Minnesota.

March 3, 2004
comments: In High School i think its hard to Fail whole grades. The one part of eligibltiy is if you turn 20 during your senior season your ineligble the whole year

March 3, 2004
comments: The results for the 2004 "PANTHER PROWL" have been posted.Thanks to all that attended and hope to see everyone next year.We had a total of 401 wrestlers at this years tournament.thanks to all the parents and volunteers that helped.We still have a couple of bugs to work out but it's only going to get better.Hope to see everyone next year at the "PROWL".

March 3, 2004
comments: I can think of a few instances, actually 2, where a student in High School has taken a case to the SSAC and got a 5th year of eligibility. I don't know the particular circumstances but i think it was cause they failed or dropped out of school after the season.

March 3, 2004
comments: Looking ahead: I dont think South has an edge, they are also losing Sean smith by the way. You all think because PHS is losing 3 champs they will be down? Hayes noone really knows if he will be back or not. But they will have Lindamood, Myers, Stilgenbauer, Bailey, Rader, Ewing, Litton, Combs, and Ice. Andy Thomas also is coming up. Most of those guys placed to. South will also have a tough team, but dont count PHS out, they will still be hungry for number 3. 5 of the South wrestlers you named either did not qualify, or DNP at states or did not go. 2 of the PHS wrestlers I mentioned, one didnt go to state and one didnt qualify. You'd better rethink your post.

March 3, 2004
comments: Raders second match of the state tourney was less than 14 seconds. Don't know what it was but prolly about 8 or 9 seconds.

March 3, 2004
comments: Results for the Ohio High School Wrestling Tournament can be found at http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/wr/boys/default.asp. Ohio has three divisions for wrestling. If you wanted to see how Jacob Frerichs he is in Division II. By the way, Jacob Frerichs, St. Paris Graham dec. Dave Rella, Cuy. Falls Walsh Jesuit 3-2 OT

March 3, 2004
comments: I just wanted o say Congrats to ALL eastside wrestlers. You guyshad a great yar and did a terrific job, I am proud of you all. To Chris Greynolds you have next year...good luck!! To Jobey Knapton, Congrats on your 2nd place win as a freshman, can't wait to see you in the up and coming years. To Shawn Moore an Corey Noechel, I know you didn't get what you wanted, but you both hd geat senior years, good job!! To Billy Ray, love ya like a bro ad I'm proud of you...good job on your 2nd place win and good luck next year. To Bub, cngratson your 2nd place win, wish you would have startd this sport sooner though..lol. To the coachs, Adam, Joey and John... we are lucky to have you in our corner...ope your here for a long time!! Also Congrats to Matt...you dd a great job and had a great year....we are all proud of you. To Justin, congrats on yur wins as well. I wish you would have had the chance to wrestle rader in the finals...but you have next year nd we know you'll go for the win!!

March 3, 2004
comments: Rader is definelty ahead for next year's Dutton Award. He will be the only person with 4 stated titles and nobody wrestles the competition that he faces.

March 3, 2004
comments: to coach lemaster: thanks coach for your comments. in no way was i directing my comments to you. like i said, you run a first class team. thats why i was asking you. maybe middle school needs to come up with a form that each coach puts out at the coaches meetings before a tournament (certified by the ssac), so know coach has to challenge a base weight of an opposing team wrestler. just a thought, they do it in little league baseball and any other well organized organization. it keeps everyone in check. good luck in the coming season, and i will enjoy watching your team.

March 3, 2004
comments: On the comments that mineral wells has the best team!!! I think patriots will take it again. Not only do they have a awesome young team but you have the jr high kids that placed in county 1st,2nd,3rd, not to mention wsaz's. Miracle,DeLancey,Fordyce, just to mention a few.............go Patriots and kick some............xxx..............

March 3, 2004
comments: Kid to watch, Like his Big Brother Codi Norman, Caleb Norman 10 yr old 70 lb class is going for his 4th straight Youth State Championship

March 2, 2004
comments: PHS might be down next year. They are losing Thomas, Dearman, Shyver, Hays, Dowler. South is losing Walters, Radcliffe, OCotto, Smith. South will has back Kellar, Townsand, McCray, Dunn, Porter, Smith, Norman, Munday, Davis, Dorton, and Hall. Hall and Monday placed well at the WSAZs. PHS still has Rader, Stilgenbauer, Ewing, Ice, Bailey, Litton, Combs, Myers, Lindamood. Unless PHS has some new blood coming in, it looks like SOUTH is favored. Just some food for thought until next year.

March 2, 2004
comments: I am not a rules guru, I just try to find out as much as I can so I won't hurt my kids eligibility in any way. It is, after all, for them - not the coaches, fans or even parents. If you have soem serious questions regarding eligibility, grades, etc. I suggest you contact the WVSSAC. Contrary to popular opinion, I have found them to be polite and helpful whenever I had a question. Dr. Welker is also a good source of information. I have been told that it works as "just another coach" stated. As I understand it, middle school students have a total of 6 semesters (3 years) of eligibilty. If a student fails a grade and even steps on the field, court or mat the 2nd time through that grade then he (she) has used up an entire year of eligibity in all sports. Therefore a student who wrestled 6, 7, 7 (repeat) would not be eligible in the 8th grade. I assume (you all know about that) the same system would be applied in high school. I also know that other states do not use the same system. Thus a kid could use up all three years 6,7,7 - fail the 7th grade the first time and still have another year left if they move to say Georgia or N. Carolina. Another strange scenario is that until this year, different counties had different requirements to pass the grade. I once had a student (not a wrestler) who failed 7th grade because in our county they not only had to have the right number of credits but had to pass both math and language. They transferred to a neighboring county and were advanced to 8th grade. 6 weeks later, they transferred back and were in 8th grade! - Cute little loophole, huh! Anyway, it's the Coach and AD's responsibilty to check each students eligibility and if they have a question - call Parkersburg. You may not always like what they tell you but at least you know for sure.

March 2, 2004
comments: do u think cody clackson will do good in high school? ill say eric javis from spencer is going 2 win wsaz next year he is only in 7th grade.And for joey maldonado he is really good wrestler i wish him luck next year in wrestling and who do u think would win between maldonado and boggs they r around the same wieght next year they might be in the same wieght class?

March 2, 2004
comments: I'm writing my last post until high school season starts next year. Just want to point out what we all already know. If the wrestler that you like wins, then it's because he's the better wrestler. If he loses, it's because he was upset and he's still the best. Without degrading any wrestler, because I believe all the ones I am going to mention are great, I would like to make the following example. Litton from PHS beat Richey of JM early in the year and pinned him. Litton fans I'm sure felt this proved their thoughts while Richey fans felt it was early in the season. Then one month later in the regional Litton pinned Richey again. PHS fans knew then that Litton was definitely better. Now Richey beats Litton in the state finals. What does this prove? It proves that Richey beat Litton in the state finals, Litton beat Richey in the regional and regular season. That's all. Not who really is better except on the given days they wrestled. Now, if you don't like that logic, then as a South fan I guess I'm glad, because how many would be willing to rank Shaun Smith ahead of Mitch Smith after the state results. After all, Shaun was only beat by Mitch once and never pinned (as in the above example). My point is that we rank based on however our own personal bias allows us to interpret the information (and sometimes misinformation) we have. Rarely does anyone get on here and point out when the predictions they make fall short. Maybe the best way to look at all the statements and predictions is that they are praises for someones favorite and not a slam on the ones you like which they don't pick. I know human nature and realize this is a waste of time to write this but I thought I'd give it one last "shot".
PS: Goodnight Lloyd

March 2, 2004
comments: rader pinned a wrestler in 6 seconds...

March 2, 2004
comments: for coaches or anyone who might know......in some states they allow 7th and 8th graders to wrestle high school. Can they do that in WV? I think the jr highers could wrestle only if they wrestled varsity though. Some of those guys from NY and other states have 5 time state champs and so. So i was just wondering.

March 2, 2004
comments: Dont want to start anything bad here but Raders pin in the finals match sealed the team victory for PHS. South couldnt catch them after Raders pin. Hows that for the controversy. This prolly wont make the board, but it was just an interesting fact.

March 2, 2004
comments: Comment to 2/29 post regarding the 119 McCray/Hayes series.
I'd put it this way.
Gas to the states.. $40.00
Food...$50.00
Ticket to South/PHS duel...$4.00
McCray victory when the team really needed it...PRICELESS

Seriously, I think both kids are great wrestlers and I just posted this for fun, but as a South fan I'm glad McCray won the 2 he did.

March 2, 2004
comments: Where can I find results from the Ohio state tournament?

March 2, 2004
comments: 3rd time was the charm for 2 young men at states. Jake Hayes 0-2 against Zach McCray and beat him for 3rd place. Dustin Richey 0-2 against Chance Litton and he beat him for the state title. Way to not give up guys.

March 2, 2004
comments: Way to go Vikings. You beat some teams whp people thought were tougher than you guys. Can't wait to see you guys next year. I bet your workout room will be twice as intense as it was this year. Coach Scott did a great job with you guys. Stick with him and you guys will be in the top 5 next year easy. I look for 7 to place. work hard in the off season. Go VIKINGS!

March 2, 2004
comments: To "Insider Looking In": I have to admit I'm not Jim Lemasters, but I'd like to comment on your post anyway. First, I have no idea where you're headed with this line of questioning or the case(s) you're referring to, but I have had a couple wrestlers' eligibility affected by poor grades at the middle school level, and this is how I handled it: My understanding of the rules as they are currently written is that a wrestler could not wrestle two years in the same grade. When I had a wrestler that had to repeat a grade, he did not lose his number of years of eligibility, but he could not play ANY sports during that repeat year. For example, he wrestled 6th grade, wrestled 7th grade, retained in 7th-did no sports, wrestled 8th grade. I honestly don't know how high school eligibility is any different, but it could be. I don't know if there is any distinction between actual academic grade and grade as far as athletic eligibilty. I always thought an athlete had 4 years in 9-12 and 3 years in 10-12, provided his age was still OK. Therefore, if he could wrestle two years as a 9th grader, he would have to sit out one year somewhere between his 10th and 12th grades. I don't think it is allowed to work this way, though. I'm afraid I haven't been very helpful. One thing I have noticed when doing the paperwork for my team is that with the addition of the 6th graders to middle school sports, I haven't seen an updated WVSSAC eligibility form that even recognizes this. The only ones I've seen still indicate athletes starting in grade 7. Why is this a big deal? Well, incoming 7th graders used to not be required to have the 2.00 GPA because they had not had a semester of classes yet (at the starting point of 7th grade). Now that 6th graders are eligible, we must check 2nd semester of their 6th grade year for incoming 7th grade athletes. Now, first year 6th grade athletes don't have to meet the 2.00 GPA until they have had one semester of 6th grade. This brings up other questions. Because a 7-9 Jr. High could use 6th graders on their team (I believe they can now), their 7th graders must have a 2.00 GPA for the 2nd semester of their 6th grade year and they'd have to check this at whatever elementary schools they came from. This is one aspect some people might not be aware of and may not have been checking. If you think I'm wrong on this last point, please let me know.

March 2, 2004
comments: Congratulations Coach Schenerlein on being coach of the year this year! You are a great coach with a great coaching staff and nothing any slider could say would prove otherwise; they have trashed, accused and harrassed you and your wrestlers and you came out on top in spite of it all. What a pleasure it was to watch your team this year and see them have such great success. Can't wait till next year and keep up the good work.

March 2, 2004
comments: the website of the people who took pictures at the state tournament is www.actionimages.us
actionimages@comcast.net

March 2, 2004
comments: Lloyd Christmas
GET OVER IT!!!!....you are sooo boring...enough is enough..so what..you think you were sooo right...well, you also said that your boy was gonna place first and guess what??? you know...all of those boys are great wrestlers.. thats obvious...on any given day things could play out different and as far as seeding at region....great job region seeders...the way they do it is the right way...its not fare to go on out of state records when some kids travel across the country and wrestle in big tournaments....Let it go Lloyd!!!

March 2, 2004
comments: From February 24 comments: "Is it good sportsmanship to cheer against a wrestler from your own town?" I think it is. I observed this conduct from a school staff member at the region 3 finals. He was cheering against one of his own team members. How sad. If you don't want to cheer for your own team, then move out of their cheering section.

March 2, 2004
comments: Turnbull pinned his first round opponent in fourteen seconds the fastest pin of states

March 2, 2004
comments: INSIDER LOOKING IN = The Man
ZenGrappling.com

March 2, 2004
email: mjpainte@access.k12.wv.us
comments: What is the email address of the company who took pictures at the state tournament? Please let me know. Thanks!!!

March 2, 2004
comments: Response to brackets for Jr. States. As of Sun. they where still being put together, this is from the coach from our team. They have the seeds, which is a mute subject, because alot of kids didn't provide records and coaches not in repsentation. Creame will come to the top. Seeding Youth tournments is BS. I say put the kids in the computor and let it make the brackets at random. Competition around Wood co. is better than the Southern and Northern part of the State. Same as in High School. I would have liked to see Oak Glenn wrestlers come down, rather then have a tournment on the same day.

March 2, 2004
comments: What if Frerichs was still at Nitro wrestling 145 this year, it woulda been incredible in the 145 weight class. It was already stacked as it was.

March 2, 2004
comments: Nitro Fan: What was the score between Rella and Frerichs?

March 2, 2004
comments: The WV Youth States is this weekend and it will be one great tournament. The team championship should be interesting as well. Wheeling is bringing down over 40 kids and Southern West Virginia combined teams to make one. Here in Wood County we have the Mini-Patriots with alot of Junior High Kids and Mineral Wells, with argubly the best young kids in the state. They crowned more Youth State Champs last year than any team. The Cougars dont have a large team but what they got are good. Wirt County is bringing a pretty good team just too bad they don't have more kids. South Parkersburg will ahve some excellent kids also. There are kids from all over the state coming and it will be an excellent tournament. It will be interesting to see how many kids repeat. Good luck to all the wrestlers.

March 2, 2004
comments: Very proud of the way 6 wrestlers came to states and all did so well they should be very proud of themselves you gave us all a great time ALEX COREY AND JOSH wil be gone now so good luck to them all Way to go DUSTIN I always said never sell him short. I am so happy with the way you wrested at states and OVAC way to go ALEX.

March 2, 2004
comments: To fan, Maldonado will be tough next year in high school. He will probably grow to around 119 by then, however, as he is very big and very lean for a 102lber. He is a scrapper and is getting better as he gains experience. High school is another level up, so he will have to improve overall technique, and get physically stronger. A lot of good middle school wrestlers become average high school wrestlers for various reasons. Maldonado has the tools though- he's got long arms and legs and is naturally very flexible. Perhaps most importantly, wrestling has been rewarding for him and he enjoys it. I hope that he works hard in the off-season and I wish him luck at RCHS.

March 2, 2004
comments: Are the brackets for the WV Junior State Wrestling Tournament going to be posted thats coming up this weekend?
Editor's note: We have never received such in the past and have no reason to believe that we will receive them this year...

March 2, 2004
comments: FYI:..............145 Division II results
State Champion
Jacob Frerichs, St. Paris Graham

Runner UP
Dave Rella, Cuy. Falls Walsh Jesuit

Third
David Davis, Col. St. Francis DeSales

Fourth
Jordan Spohn, New Lexington

Fifth
Justin Slauterbeck, Oak Harbor

Sixth
Jess Spencer, Greenfield McClain

Great job Jacob Frerichs, we are proud of you.

March 2, 2004
comments: i just want too congratulate Robert Rash you came out on top keep up the good work 103 was yours all the way great job buddy i guess i'll see you next year lol

March 2, 2004
comments: TO JIM LEMASTERS: Ive noticed when you write on here you write in some detail and seem to know the rules and ethics on wrestling. I was wondering if you know the rules reguarding, if a wrestler can wrestle twice as a ninth grader and still have three years of elgibility left in high school? If you're wondering why two years as a ninth grader, we'll say due to grades for example or for any other reason.(Are you surprise DOC, I am. I didnt trash talk, belittle anybody, or even try to expose the truth.)

March 2, 2004
comments: Weir High's head coach is Jeff LaMotte and their assistant coach is Mike Underwood.

March 2, 2004
comments: Now that the High School States are over, It's The Jr. State Championships at Parkersburg. There are going to be some super matches. Some kids wrestling kids they've never seen before. Intense practices taking place, Kids polishing up for what some feel will be one of the best Tournments in a few years. Andy Thomas will hit the mat with kids who won't know what hit them, he's wrestled a limited season, and what's come out is No One has even come close. Matt Lindamood who may be better than big brother Joe will be cranking it up along with Jeseca Teeters who was Wood Co. Recs. Most valuable Wrestler at 95 Lbs in the 13-15 age bracket. The girl is awesome. It gets started at 9:30 at Parkersburg High School, and the people who decided not to participate in the States this year will miss out on finding out just how good they think they are!

March 2, 2004
comments: Thanks for keeping this site and forum updated all year. Its nice to have a place to look at people's thoughts and info about wrestling from around the state.

Harry and Lloyd have lost their minds........I don't know which is dumb and which is dumber.........Just had to say something because I got a kick outta the names this year.

March 2, 2004
comments: The only think I like to see on a basketball floor. Is wrestling mats door to door!!

March 2, 2004
comments: To "Checking the Results"
Bennett from BS broke his hand, and was out for 3/4 of the year....(I think)

Fabulous Technician, watch for him to win states next year

March 2, 2004
comments: Who had the fastest pin of the state tournament? I think it might be Rader....he pinned in the quarters in like 15 seconds against quill ward.......not bad

March 2, 2004
comments: BOWLING IS BY FAR THE GREATEST SPORT OF ALL TIME HANDS DOWN!!! then ice skating and in a near third would have to be tennis!!!

March 2, 2004
comments: Yes thanks for pointing that out, the feeder program that parkersburg has is incredible. The Parkersburg Cougars and their coaches are the best at training their kids for the big time. You can see the results to in most of PHS's wrestlers. Oh yeah its not the end of the Thomas. Lou may be gone but little bro Andy will be steppin it up to a red singlet next year. People think PHS's run is over since they are losing 3 state champs.... but your wrong!!!! Andy Thomas, Ewing, Litton, Rader, Lindamood, Bailey, Stilgenbauer, Myers are the new breed of red next year. They will be very tough to beat again. That being said....so will South to, look for a 1-2 finish again next year.

March 1, 2004
Editor's note: Updating some pages in the State Tournament section. Who was Weir's head coach this year? Sorry to be so ignorant...

And while I'm at it, thanks to the coaches who recognized this website again with the sportswriter award. It means a lot. All the fans, mat stats folks, and coaches who have submitted results and kept the info coming throughout the year deserve the credit - all I do is sit here and catch (sort of).

And thanks to the state tournament staff - friends who once again were so extremely helpful in getting results to be posted and taking care of such stuff -- Cathy St. Clair Curry, Robert St. Clair, Mrs. Archer, and psychotherapy provided by Arden Sanson and Mac Corwine, and the other friendly faces up on the scorers stage. And of course thanks to Coach Archer who has been a big boost to this website from Day One. Presumably, they get a six-figure salary for all the work they do (yeah, right). We need to cook up some kind of an award for these folks anyway.

March 1, 2004
email: bwhitecotton@yahoo.com comments: Congrats to all the South wrestlers this season and thanks to WVMAT.com for the great web site and the state tournament updates. I havent missed a state tournament or South match in years and was having very serious withdrawl symptoms all season. I will make it to the state tournament next year, one way or another. If anyone has video of the South matches at the state tournament, I would love to have a copy and will be more than happy to send the money for the tape ahead of time. Send me an e-mail if you have a tape and I will contact you on where to mail it and where I will need to send the money. Thanks for all the South fans and friends that e-mailed me this year with results. And thanks to all the South wrestlers for being the class act that they are and providing the excitement year after year and making wrestling the greatest sport ever.
Butch

March 1, 2004
comments: What were the 10 fastest pins in the state over the season?

March 1, 2004
comments: To Editor
If a youth tourny does not post results then do not allow them to post thier tourny info on your site the following year. The Pa site did just that and look at the results. Very easy and simple to do.

March 1, 2004
comments: OK WHAT DO U THINK OF JOEY MALDONADO? HE WRESTLED 102 AND WENT 33-3 BUT HE IS REALLY GOOD NEXT YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL I THINK HE WOULD BE ONE OF THE TOP ONES.

March 1, 2004
comments: if you take the average enrollment of the top 4 schools minus cameron's enrollment, i guarantee the figure would probably shoot back up to an average between 400 and 500, which would be middle double A size. Cameron's enrollment is only 188... pretty good a school that small can claim state runner's up. Also to whoever said us Cameron people think we are so great, whenever we were debating about the rankings.. I have 2 things to say. Number 1, we never said we were the best or should be number 1.. Oak Glen proved that and they should be commended for their dominance. Number 2.. they had Stewart 4th, O'Neil 5th or 6th, Kelly Hughes not ranked, Pettit not ranked and Manning not ranked in the last coaches poll and you sarcastically posted "oh yes cameron should be ranked so high... hahaha. Did you go to the state tournament? All I said is we didn't get the respect we deserved and I was right. Stewart finished runner-up, O'Neil 4th, and Hughes Pettit and Manning all placed. Also the #4, previously ranked #5 Dragons finished 2nd in the state, where they should have been ranked all along. Maybe you can come to a CHS match next year before you talk about how good our program isn't. Cameron isn't Oak Glen yet... but for a school with 188 kids beating 5 triple A schools in a season, 2 which were ranked in the top 6 in the state, I think that's a testament to the kids there.

March 1, 2004
comments: A special thanks goes out to Tim McCartney. He has won the coach of the year 5 out of the last 6 years. He is a class act on the side of the mat. Always a gentleman. Keep teaching your boys to be men. And thanks again for all your efforts along with your coaching staff.

March 1, 2004
comments: JUST WANTED SAY CONGRADULATIONS TO A 6 YEAR OLD BOY WHO HAD A WONDERFUL SEASON THIS YEAR HE WAS SOMETHING LIKE 64-6. THIS CHILD WRESTLES FOR BRIDGPORT. HE BROKE HIS ARM IN TWO PLACES A WEEK AGO AT THE NEW MARTINSVILLE TOURNAMENT. YOU WILL GET THEM NEXT YEAR BUDDY.

CONGRADULATIONS ON A GREAT SEASON AND BEST OF LUCK NEXT YEAR

March 1, 2004
comments: Just heard from our niece, Jenny Phares, and it turns out she designed the cover for this year's state tournament program. I guess bragging rites belong to her Mom, Doc Miller's sister and the rest of his family, and it is also an honor for Fayetteville High School, Jenny's school.

March 1, 2004
comments: To dadthatunderstandskids
The base weight is handled this way in middle school - at least at MMS. Our wrestlers are certified by an MD who is well versed in both sports medicine and wrestling. He scrupulously checks body fat and decides what weight class a kid may wrestle. Parents then sign the forms and return. A copy is forwarded to the WVSSAC prior to Dec. 23rd. The parents may over rule the physician only in an UPWARD direction. For example if their son weighs 105 and the Dr. says he can wrestle 102 but they want him to wrestle no lower than 110 then they can circle 110. It can NOT be done the other way like if he is certified by the Dr. to wrestle 110 and they want him to drop to 102. When a wrestler makes his base weight before Dec. 23rd, I ask for a copy of the weigh in sheet and have the official sign it and date it. If they make it after Dec. 23rd. the process is similar except there is an addendum to the weight certification form to send to the SSAC. I keep all of these with me in my wrestling bag in case anyone asks for proof. I also carry a copy of the school eligibilty sheet. Any tournament director is welcome to look at these at any time. If you were intimating that some of my kids dropped without making base weight - I can assure you that they did not. Most of them wrestled up all year. I did have several kids that lost a lot of weight just due to getting in shape. Especially in the upper classes. My heavyweight went from 268 to 239 at the end of the season. He also was able to complete the mile run in the Presidential Fitness test in phys ed for the 1st time in his life and had the best sit and reach in the school. Another example was I had a kid who lost 4-5 inches off his waist and 11-12 lbs. but was not cutting at all, in fact at the end of the season he was wrestling 145 and weighing 129-130.

I can also tell you from coaching against Point thet Coach Darst follows basically the same procedure and goes strictly by the rules. I have seen him get his forms signed by referees in order to verify thet his wrestlers made base weight. Point is a class act all the way around - coaches, kids and parents. Their success is due to a good feeder system, good coaching, good kids and a lot of hard work - not bending the rules.

It is true that coaches can be nefarious. The absolute worst is at the WSAZ - that 3 lbs. is a lot of temptation for some kids and coaches - they are supposed to have proof of base weight but unless someone checks it then who knows and with as many wrestlers as there are, it would be impossible to check them all. This year I know there was a 9th grader who had wrestled varsity high school at 103 all year in another state that wrestled 95+3 (98) in the middle school division and had never made 95. The kid in question told me that himself and what reason would he have to lie? He did not win the tournament or even place very high but is just an example.

On another note, thanks for the comments about our kids class. That is one thing we strive for. One thing we are very proud of is that since we have been a school (1993 - after consolidation) we have only lost one team point and that was a JV kid who was a little too "excited" when he won his first match ever.

Hope this explains "base weight" at least from a middle school standpoint. Good luck to all at the Jr. State Tournament and wrestlers keep hitting the mats and books. Like the old saying reminds us " Wrestler, there will come a time when winter will ask what you were doing last summer!"
JL/MMS

March 1, 2004
comments: The State Tourney was very well done. Those in charge did an excellent job of keeping on schedule and moving things along. I would like to see, however, a card or something to indicate the weight class wrestling placed on top of the score board for each mat. They do this at the OVAC tournament in Wheeling and it is a nice touch. I also appreciated the low cost of parking. Congratulations to all the wrestlers--this is a demanding sport. I was especially impressed with the way most of the wrestlers handled themselves winning and loosing.
Editor's note: Now that you mentioned it, I was going to comment on the improvement in the tournament this year by posting the match number on the matside scoreboard. Assuming you had access to a program or set of brackets, it made following the tournament easier. In years past, the weight class was posted in that little spot on the scoreboard, rather than the match number. Hmmmm, I don't know which I like better -- having the weight class or the match number on the scoreboard.... I'll vote for the match number. (smile)

March 1, 2004
comments: what a year Dave, 7 championships, 2 school records,(most pins & most wins)and(3rd place at states). after losing to a great 3 time champ (5-2). you showed a champions heart when it was 1-1 in the 3rd, by going for the win instead of keeping it close. if casey was any less wrestler you might have caught him, but he is not, he is a great 3 time champ like you said. then you were going for 3rd 0r 5th place with just 7 seconds to go in the match you almost blew out your knee but you wrestled on to win. going for 3rd place I ask you if you could wrestle and you said if I have to wrestle on one leg I will. so son your mother and I would like to say we are so proud of you and love you very much.

March 1, 2004
comments: Congrats to Parkersburg High and Coach Schenny, you sure did beat the "B Team from Parkersburg" by a whole 20 points. But walking away from the Civic Center in Huntington, I know who the real champs were. Parkersburg South walked out with their heads high. They came together like no other. The dedication and heart that Curt showed the entire tourney was enough to show what it means to be apart of a South wrestling team. The finals were incredible and Shaun Smith's match was amazing! It was without a doubt the best match of the weekend...Congrats to the most outstanding wreslter. I have watched and cheered for Mitch Smith for a long time and hated to see him lose even though I was rooting for Shaun all the way! He handled himself with class before, during, and after the match and has a lot to be proud of regardless. Coach McCartney is an outstanding coach and South is very blessed to have the coaching staff that we do. They give the wrestlers 100% and are there for these boys on and off that mat. I have never seen a PSHS coach hit or scream at a wrestler after a match and you can't say that about some. "Grappling Rats from the other side of the river" we are all proud of you, and we all know who the true winners are!

March 1, 2004
comments: If im not mistaken Kyle Walters of Parkersburg South did not lose to anyone from WV this year, I noticed he wasnt on the list of no instate losses in the top wrestlers page.

March 1, 2004
comments: when it comes to wresting it truely is a one man sport, not depending on no one else to win but only on yourself. so if basketball is the best sport around why are there so many players on the court?? and why is it that only a few certin kids get the credit for carrying the team when it is the whole team that does it?? with wrestling it takes alot of guts to walk on that mat and wrestle their heart out and if they win it was them that did it and if they lose there's no one to blame but themselves. unlike basketball, when the blame gets placed on everyone else's shoulders besides the ones that it sould be.it also takes alot more strength to wrestle 3 straight mins. than it does to play a whole game of basketball. basketball is given time outs, a half time, and they also have other kids to in a play when someone gets tired. wrestling has only one person to depend on, if they get tired there is no one else to go in for them and give them a break when their tired. GO WRESTLING!!!

now to all the point wrestleres i'm proud of everyone of you. you all did a great job.i enjoyed going to the state tourn. this year, it made me realize how much i miss going to every tourn.jakey u did a great job, i'm so proud of you, you had a tough first match and came back and got 3rd it takes alot more to come back from the bottom and you did it.congrats to dave to you really did improve alot from last year to bad you didn't have another year to really prove yourself to everyone else. and to justin you did a great job this year just remember that your gonna grow some more and mature alot more as the last years of wrestling in high school come to an end. you won't believe how much better you'll get with these last years. just keep working hard and you'll be the that no one has heard about that comes out of nowhere and take everyone by surpise. too!

all the wrestlers that didn't place don't be ashamed keep your heads up high and remember that you were wrestling some tough kids out there. take your experiences from this year and train for next year. coach great job with the boys!!! your really are the best coach!!!! good luck to all next year.

March 1, 2004
comments: Congrats to "Seth Phalen" for a job well done this season and placing at the States. You are a class act and handle yourself with dignity. Also congrats to all the other Ripley wrestlers.

March 1, 2004
comments: I guess if you want to run around in short pants, dribbling all over the floor, basketball is OK.

March 1, 2004
comments: I must agree about Rhett Northcraft. The kid is amazing and doesn't wreslte like anyone I've ever seen (not necessarily better, but different, that is).

March 1, 2004
comments: I think we do know:
Region 1 Tournament
Consolation Finals for Third
119 Brian Humphrey (WP) dec. Jake Hays (P), 4-3

March 1, 2004
comments: Just backing up my boy Lloyd:
1. Turnbull
2. Humphrey
3. Hays
4. McCray
Lloyd was right!!! OMG im shocked. Wait no im not. HAHA
Region (3rd place)
119 Brian Humphrey (WP) dec. Jake Hays (P), 4-3
State (Semi's)
Brian Humphrey (Sr), Wheeling Park Dec Zach McCray (So), Parkersburg South, 5-1

And To : Parkersburg Observer and Wrestling Fan:
February 22, 2004
comments: TO wrestling fan & Parkersburg Observer: since you said "say all you want" I will! I still do not think McCray is the 2nd best in the class. Humphrey is BY FAR the 2nd best wrestler in that class. You will see. If McCray can make it do Humphrey in the Semi's you will see the great in-justice you did him at regionals. I already proved Hays should not have been ahead of him, McCray is Next.

Well just thought that Lloyd should get some respect on here now since he did tell everyone this would happen. And to region 1 you really need to work on your seeding. Keep up the good work Lloyd!

March 1, 2004
comments: Mr. Chrismas, No need for trash talk, Pettit is just arriving to get his young wrestlers some experienced. Besides Pettit is cage fighting every other weekend in the LA -San Diego area, he just wants to enjoy his time back in PT.Pleasant. He was one of the original founders of the Mason Open Tournament dating back in 1992, so Parkersburg fans have never heard of you or Dunn. But Pettit has been around for a long time and continues to win in California's Greco tournaments every weekend. He was NEVER a State Champ but has done more IN WRESTLING AFTER HIGH SCHOOL THEN MOST HAVE EVER DID.
Bill

March 1, 2004
comments: Thank you Yucatan Man for finally giving Casey Hughes the respect he deserves. However I think you have Bonecutter a little low on your poll. Casey beat Richey 10-5 and only beat Bonecutter 5-2. Just a thought: I would like to see Bonecutter and Richey wrestle.

March 1, 2004
comments: From the Comment "correct me if I am wrong but I've been following this season pretty close and as far I know....Humphreys NEVER wrestled Hays this year..." .... They did wrestle at regionals....and Humphrey WON, guess you were not following it that close..... you have been corrected. Thank You.

March 1, 2004
comments: Congrats to Huntington on placing 3rd in the state with two weight classes empty (103 and 152). Fraley (103) would have been in the finals and Dudley (152) would have definitely been close to placing possibly 5th or 6th. Great Job Guys!!!

March 1, 2004
comments: To:Big Reds #1
If you want to creidt anyone for the Big Reds program look where all those kids came from....and thank MIKE LITTON!

March 1, 2004
comments: Congrats to Mr Clutch, Dusty Richey. The last two year you have went in Saturday night as a huge underdog and beaten two of the best wrestlers in the state,Hays and Litton, Great job... lets get #3 next year!

March 1, 2004
comments: I don't care what anyone says, everyone knows that Mitch Smith is the best wrestler in this entire state, and we now know from experience a VERY good sport under all circumstances.

March 1, 2004
comments: My congrats to PHS for an outstanding job, especially to the boys that stepped it up the past two weeks. I think the fans had all the class in the world, they never cheered against any South wrestler, the cheered when they won. I think that is how it should be, it is not right to boo anyone, especially when they win. It is just a sport, and they are only kids... My hat goes off to PHS fans and parents. PHS ARE #1

March 1, 2004
comments: I just have a few things to say... First of all Basketball doesn't compare to Wrestling.. Basketball is running down a court... also Matthew Delligatti is my hero. He pulled together a great season!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

March 1, 2004
comments: To Riverside Fan
Rowsey and Wojo were not sick, they just did not wrestle well. Maybe next year a Riverside wrestler will break the curse and wrestle on Sat and place at the state tourny. Hall just might be the best chance. On an up beat note, Riverside did score 21.50 points..highest point ever...good job boys!!! Way to improve Congratulations go out to Bobby Cooper 4x Regional Champ and was able to wrestle to the state finals his Senior year. Good job buddy, you worked hard for it. I know the match didn't go your way, but you held your head up high and was a class act all year. Good job.

March 1, 2004
comments: Iam from parkersburg, but one young man i have seen wrestle this year is rhett northcraft from oak glen. Ever since his match with sean smith, i have noticed how awesome he is, especially at the state tournament this year. He has a counter to every move!! He is a very smart wrestler and did some amazing things i have never seen over the weekend. I look forward to watching him over the next couple years

March 1, 2004
comments: Whats amazing is that 12 of the 14 state champs were from region 1......8 of the 14 champs were from parkersburg alone!!!!!! What great talent those 2 schools have!! The pill didnt really have a great effect but there were a few matches wrestled in the semi's i thought should have been the finals. Kelly/shyver, rader/lodge, easter/rush, walters/cremeans, gustines/shaw, green/haislip. thats is it. Good day, and good job wood county wrestlers including shane smith and allan tracewell

March 1, 2004
comments: If any of you have any doubt that Parkersburg is the City of Champions here is some more information. Not only has either PHS or South been the champion 19 of the past 22 years (South 11, PHS 8) , but in the 2004 tournament, if you take the top place winner from the city of Parkersburg for each weight class they scored a total of 301 points.

1st - 8
2nd - 2
3rd - 1
4th - 0
5th - 2
Only 1 did not place.
The remaining 9 wrestlers (Parkersburg's B Team) scored 127 points and would have finished 2nd in the tournament.
3rd - 4
4th - 3
5th - 0
6th - 1
Only 1 did not place.
The two teams combined for the most points ever by the top two teams in a WV State Tournament. The 428 points is more than 25% of all the team points scored in the AAA tournament. 6 of the 10 PHS/South wrestlers that made the finals will be returning next year.

March 1, 2004
comments: to lloyd christmas:
correct me if I am wrong but I've been following this season pretty close and as far I know....Humphreys NEVER wrestled Hays this year...I heard he had a chance at PHS when he was there and chose not to...soo correct me if I'm wrong mr lloyd but like I said don't think they wrestled so how do you know he would have beat him.....guess it could have gone either way..well never know....but anyways...119 was a great bunch of kids who showed a lot of class....pretty sure they were all seniors except the 4th and 6th placers...great job all of you!!

March 1, 2004
comments: BHS your insane basketball is no where near the best sport around.

March 1, 2004
comments: Just a congrats to the Cameron team for doing a little bit more than we all expected. Second over mighty Williamstown is an honor. Four in the finals was a statement. Two champs won decisively. Petit's repeat "upset" over a defending state champ was worth its weight in gold putting him on the map of wrestling. Timmy Cumpston was all Miller wanted in the finals. Noah's pinning Valles was a testimonial to his dangerousness. Kelly's big wins, barnburning matches, and placing WERE expected by me (I've always known about his heart). Jeffrey dominance was enjoyable as always. Casey's departure from close finishes in the finals left little doubt why he is a 3x'er. Cooper, you are the most improved wrestler we have, learn more moves and continue to work like a mad man. Ike, great job with the load you had to carry. Whipkey, its been a pleasure watching you flip and flop your way to victories over good wrestlers )I'm sure Gustines and Fowlk would agree. Be as good of papa as you were a wrestler. Steve, way to improve. Huge wins against JM and Williamstown will never be forgotten. Danny, way to keep on showing up. Sure you improved, but keeping on showing up is life's greatest challenge. C.J., good year, good career, wrestling with injuries is like getting up every day and going to work when you don't think you can, its the manly thing to do (and u r the man). Lastly, Casey, your are the most inventive wrestler who got the least press. You always found a way to do it. Sometimes strictly on heart. You are my Most Outstanding Wrestler, Mat Warrior of the Week, and Dutton Award Winner all in one. You never talked a good show, you put it on. Detractors couldn't shake you and opponents couldn't break you. Good luck in all you do. Your next step in life is finding another way to use your skills God gave you to help others (and yourself). Hope you do. It's been a pleasure.

March 1, 2004
comments: Where did Bennett come from that wrestled for Berkley Springs 4th in region 2? Was he injured or ???? Pinned Meadows from Shady Springs regional champ, dec kid from weir and dec elder from williamstown(2nd in state last year), lost to bonecutter 7-5

March 1, 2004
comments: BASKETBALLS BY FAR THE BEST SPORT AROUND!!!

March 1, 2004
comments: I think Humphreys proved this weekend that HE is # 1 in the state! That match was rediculous! Humphrey took away the champs ONLY move! GOOD JOB HUMPHREYS!

March 1, 2004
comments: I would like to congratulate all Marion County wrestlers, (winners and non-winners) for all your hard work, and comment on our county's fan support. It's wonderful to see East, West, and North all pull for each other every year at the state tournament. During the season you go head to head, but at Huntington you are sure a class act to watch - pulling for each other. I've watched this for many, years and it makes me so proud to say I'm from Marion County. Also, to Matt-I know your grandpa was smiling down on you Saturday night. Congratulations. It's always great to bring a champion back to our county.

March 1, 2004
comments: To Anthony DeMarco: Anthony, I spent some time traveling with your father last week,and although we both missed your walk on Saturday night,I wanted you to know how proud your father was of what you had accomplished.We could'nt wipe the grin off his face and his feet never touched the ground because of what you did in Huntington.He might have been on a business trip but his mind and heart were with you all the way.Congratulations for being an overacheiver Anthony and helping your team.

March 1, 2004
comments: To: statistical man:
It is easy to say the reason that a team wins is because they are a bigger school. However, you failed to mention these schools with large enrollments:

Jefferson 1669
Cabel Midland 1416
Martinsburg 1127
Capital 1124

They combined for 128.5 points in the tournament. Nor did you mention the 24 schools that are larger than Oak Glen. These schools averaged about 25 points per team. In fact, the average enrollment for the top 4 teams in the AA/A tournament is 311 students. This would put them in the bottom half of the Class AA/A.

March 1, 2004
comments: I've just about given up complimenting youth tournaments for how well they're run. A smoothly-run tournament will be invariably paled in the end just like most of the rest when they don't post their results. What is so hard about doing this? After 2-3 days pass, it's unlikely that any results will ever be posted.

March 1, 2004
comments: Thanks to WV-Mat for keeping the brackets up to date so well, I hope you realize how much of a help this is.

March 1, 2004
comments: Can someone who was at the Pt Pleasant, tell me anything about the 11-12 HWT class. A small kid in red gave kids twice his size everything they wanted! I think he won 2 by pins and then then lost 8-4 and 5-3 to kids who where at least 75 lb heavier and much taller. The kid took it to them, with the huge size differance. I just want to know who he was because of his guts and fire. Not winning, dosn't prove the guts of the sport and I know he is over 130, but not by much, as I saw it.

March 1, 2004
comments: the new season just got started boys if you want to be on top the work starts now and coaches get out there and get the weight classes filled its awful to see byes at the state

March 1, 2004
comments: I was unable to attend the State tourny and was wondering what happened to Wojo and Rowsey, both were highly regarded and predicted to place high in the states, were these guys ill? I looked at the brackets and I thought that they both got pretty good draws...just wondering.

March 1, 2004
comments: 145 the overall toughest weight class in the state:

Combined Rankings after state tournament (Top 15)

1. Hughes Cam
2. Richey JM
3. Litton PHS
4. Osuna - Cotto PS
5. Nelson HHS
6. Demastes BU
7. Bonecutter PP
8. Hines BC
9. Wilson WW
10. Duryea Graf
11. Stevens OG
12. Dye WC
13. Bennett BS
14. Elder Will
15. Connor Mart

March 1, 2004
comments: Point you guys were outstanding this weekend. Jacob-coming all the way though cons to win 3rd, David-workin so hard this year, and wrestlin you 3rd place match with your hurt knee, James-"not too bad for a freshman :)", Justin-way to show em, luv ya bub, Brandon- heck of job little warner. Daniel- youve had a great year, and its sad that you didnt place, but for only wrestlin three years youve been great. Nathanial, Heath, Kris, Brent, youll be back next year better than ever. Hopefully i'll see all you boys at the open(cept for you baseball players:). Coach as always youve been an inspiration to me and all the wrestlers, i'll be studyin harder than ever. Thanks to all the mommas who have always been there. Good Luck with everything you boys do.

March 1, 2004
comments: well...oak glen...thats all i gotta say

March 1, 2004
comments: Congratulations goes out to CHAD PORTER on your first State Championship. Also hats off to the entire South Team GREAT JOB!

March 1, 2004
comments: Congrates to all the Huntington wrestlers.Thanks for a great season.With 7 sophmores and 1 starting freshman who all qualified for the state and 3 of them placed after some hard summer work these guys will really make some noise next season! Go Highlanders!

March 1, 2004
comments: Congratulations to coach Larry Shaw,your entire coaching staff and the Oak Glen wrestling team on another state championship and outstanding season. Your wrestling program is second to none. Good Luck in future.I'm proud to be from Hancock County.

March 1, 2004
comments: Shaun Smith, There are no other words for you but incredible! You had the match of your life saturday night, even though some people doubted you. You proved yourself to everybody! I can't even imagine what was going through your mind during that match. Nobody deserved Most Outstanding Wrestle more than you. You showed everyone what a TRUE CHAMPION really is. I am just so thrilled for you. Congratulations Shaun!

March 1, 2004
comments: to insider looking in: I dont think anyone cares about what you post on here. Also congrats to my big reds for their 2nd straight title. This tourny was that of some major upsets. but it was a good one. Kudos to coach Archer for running once again a smoothe tournament, the man is a class act and I congradulate HHS for their 3rd place finish without their 103 or 171 pounder. South made a good run but the big reds were just to much. Next year I think will be even closer. Coach of the year award belong to 2 great coaches. McCartney has had one heck of a run as being a coach and Schenerlein turned PHS's program into a winner while he has been here. The head coaches shouldnt be the only ones to get the award, but the assistant coaches to. Shaun Smith the MOW winner and he deserved it. He did the unthinkable. Its a shame the season has come to an end...it went by so fast. Good luck to all those going to Sr. Nationals whoever is going. I expect shyver, thomas, dearman, walters, ashley, and shane smith to go. They would make WV proud. Does anyone know who is going??

March 1, 2004
comments: Just some thought... Enrollment grades 10-12
Parkersburg 1530
Parkersburg South 1294
East Fairmont 650
Ripley 757
Fairmont Sr. 645
March 1, 2004
comments: i just wanted to say congrats to chad porter in winning his first championship....i haven't seen him for years but i've babysit him a time or two...(10 years ago)..and i've always followed his wrestling career...along with his cousin shane grogg...hats off to the other kids at south...especially shaun...what an amazing feat to beat the tiger woods of wrestling...ripley's mitch smith...as the saying goes.....on any given day???????two high 5's to gary porter one heck of a wrestler himself...and obviously a great assistant coach... too bad matt dunn didn't have a chance to wrestle in the tourney this year.........keep your head up kid.......what goes around comes around.....8 champions from parkersburg........awesome... good luck next year everyone.......beavis

March 1, 2004
comments: I would like to congratulate Shaun Smith for "taking one for the team". When Chad was having trouble making weight at 130, you could have easily said, "Let's wrestle off and the loser goes to 140". But you "took one for the team" and went to a weight class that most wrestlers would run from. Truly an outstanding performance. Shaun should be the early front runner for next year's Dutton Award.

March 1, 2004
comments:
2004:
Fairmont Senior 1
East Fairmont 0
North Marion 0

Updated Overall TOTALS:
Fairmont Senior 52
North Marion 19
East Fairmont 5

Way to keep the tradition going, Matt Delligatti!!! Congrats!!!

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page