West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- March 2000 Forum (Part Four), April 2000

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page
April 26, 2000
email: chertow@olympianwrestling.com
comments: Congatulations to all the WV boys who won the big AAU tournament in Tulsa OK. Keep up the great work! Your commitment at a young age will pay big dividends when you reach high school and college. Matt Easter's dominance as freshman is a good example. A special congratulations to the Easter Brothers! A family triple crown!! I am sure the long ride home was much nicer with all three of you returning home as champions. Wrestlers and coaches - I have just added an article entitled "Summer Training" to www.kenchertow.com

April 26, 2000
comments: When does Team WV go to Fargo North Dakota?

April 26, 2000
comments: HOW DID THE PARKERSBURG JR. PATRIOTS DO AT THE EASTERN NATIONALS IN SCRANTON PA.

April 26, 2000
email: pillarsrv@aol.com
comments: Hey does anyone know if Mark Sample is running a camp again this year....please let me know on the forum or email me at pillarsrv@aol.com...thanks

April 26, 2000
Editor's note: Condolances to the family of one of the Williamstown Pee-Wee Wrestling coaches, Kevin George. He was 35 years old. He has a memorial fund set up at:
Kevin George Memorial Fund
c/o Bank One
Second & Putnam Streets
Marietta, Ohio 45750

April 26, 2000
comments: Swami's All-Decade Team
103 - ASH WENMOTH WILLIAMSTOWN
112 - CHAD BURGE CAMERON
119 - MIKE MASON WILLIAMSTOWN
125 - JASON TAYLOR WHEELING PARK
130 - R. C. ANDERSON CAMERON
135 - DOUG MOORE NORTH MARION
140 - MIKE MILLER WIRT COUNTY
145 - JASON JOHNSON PARKERSBURG SOUTH
152 - JOHN JACKSON JEFFERSON
160 - DAVE DRENNEN WIRT COUNTY
171 - ANTHONY KENNEDY GRAFTON
189 - MIKE PAYNE BERKELEY SPRINGS
215 - MIKE SHARPE PARKERSBURG SOUTH
HWT - JOE HEATH GREENBRIER EAST
COACH - JOE HANDLAN PARKERSBURG
TEAM OF THE DECADE - 1995 PARKERSBURG SOUTH

April 26, 2000
comments: Does anyone know what 2 teams are moving out of region 2?

April 23, 2000
comments: I would like to congragulate all 9 of the boy that mad it to state and made it in the top 5. I would like to congraulate Ash Wendmoth for his 3rd state champeinship.

April 23, 2000
comments: Congratulations are in order for J.P. Stanley. You are an excellent wrestler and deserve such a great opportunity as the University of Indiana. Good Luck next year!!

April 22, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Cabell Midland wrestler J.P. Stanley who signed scholarship agreement with the University of Indiana. He had several other options including WVU and Appy State. Go get 'em J.P. let's hope you tear up the Big Ten the way you have competition for as long as I've known you. Does anyone have any other signing news other than what has already been posted. It's interesting to see where the guys we have enjoyed watching are going to school and if they are furthering their wrestling careers.

April 22, 2000
comments: I would like to congratulate JP Stanley of Cabell Midland on his acceptance of a wrestling scholarship to Indiana University. JP is a hard-working focused individual. He achieved this goal by going the extra mile and it's an accomplishment he truly deserves. IU is getting a fine young man in JP. I wish him the best of luck for the future.

April 22, 2000
comments: Is there a youth tournament in Columbus next weekend?

April 22, 2000
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: I'm truly disappointed that we are returning to the old stalling rules. WV was innovative and I personally think our experimental rule was a great improvement. Any way we can experiment for another year or two?

April 22, 2000
comments: Are the Eastern Regionals that are being talked about the next step after the MAWA qualifier? If so is there a site to access the results?

April 19, 2000
comments: i hope that litton thomas rader and shyver know they are one of the many reasons parkersburg is the king and seat of wv wrestling!

April 19, 2000
Congratulations to my boys Codie and Colton for placing at Eastern Nationals this past weekend in Scranton PA. This season for all the boys(Corie and Colin included) was outstanding and words dont express how proud I am of you 4 boys. Next year I imagine will only be better. Thanks for everything Gus and Shelley! The family is the best! Love you all!!

April 19, 2000
comments: Look for good things from Williamstown in the future. The Pee Wee Program was second in the Wood Co. Pee Wee Championships. It had 6 county champions: Ryan Flowers-fifth county championship Mackenzie Peters- fourth co. championship Craig Johnson-third co. championship Thad Duvall- second co. championship and Alex Dunn and Pat Pepper winning their first co. championship. Junior High placed fourth in the WSAZ championships held in Huntington. It had two champions in Shane Smith and Alan Tracewell. It placed 5th in the Wood Co. Jr High Championship and had two champions- Shane Smith and Lee Lauderman with Alan Tracewell being runner up. The Varsity concluded their season by being runner up at the WV State Championships. Williamstown was 6th at the WSAZ and 2nd in the small schools division. Placed second in the LKC with three LKC Champions. The place 3rd in the Region I Championship and had 3 champs. Taking 9 individuals to state they place all 9 individuals in the top 6. Ash Wenmoth and Tim Haddox were State Champions. Great job to all Williamstown Coaches and Wresters. Keep up the good work and we expect great things in the future.

April 19, 2000
comments: does anyone know the score between Bosley and Stevens at University High school on April 8th?

April 19, 2000
comments: Did Clarksburg host a tournament the week after the Youth State Tournament at Parkersburg ? Just curious Parkersburg promptly posted their results and I figured Clarksburg would do the same.

April 17, 2000
email: tanyamunday@aol.com
comments: Congratulations to Nicholas Munday the 2000 champion in the Eastern Nationals 98lb Junior Division. Your family and friends are so proud of you. You believed in yourself and came from 3rd seeded to the champion!!! Congratulations to all the Parkersburg Cougars. We took 8 boys and we placed 8 boys!!You have all worked hard and showed the results. Thank you to Mike Litton Lou Thomas Robert Shyver Steve Rader you put these boys where they are.Special thanks to the wonderful cheering section the boys and everyone else always know where we are!!!

April 17, 2000
comments: After reading this forum I too would like to congratulate Ash Wenmoth and Anthony Regulbuto on their OW awards! They are both outstanding wrestlers and will do great at the college level. I would also like to congratulate Jeff Hughes of Cameron on a remarkebale career in High School! He has beaten countless great wrestlers in his career but he never captured that elusive State title. I just want him to know that even if he never did win the big one I still think he's the most exciting and best wrestlers I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Congratulations again on 4 years of great wrestling for Cameron High School!! I look forward to watching you in college!!

April 17, 2000
comments: why aren't dutton award winners listed on the outstanding contributers page?
Editor's note: I don't have an accurate list. I think there was something on it in the state tournament program this year, but I can't find my copy. If anyone has this info, pass it along and we will archive this.

April 16, 2000
comments: Just like to congratulate Anthony Regalbuto on receiving the Dutton Award and being the first ever eastern panhandle wrestler to ever win that award. Also I got the chance to watch Ant this past week at a practice at WVU. Ant is developing extremely well and should be a force in college. Also like to say WVU is looking great especially in recruiting. Just a word out to Frank Edgar of NJ if he watches this forum. LOVE to see you come to WVU and room with Ant. I think Edgar would be a great addition and really help solidify the lightweights for the next few years at WVU. I saw someone on here asking about postseason practices in the eastern panhandle area. I believe that in June the Regalbutos will be opening there summer practice. Details to follow. Also like to congratulate Ant on being the Herald Mail Wrestler of the year.

April 13, 2000
comments: Put in forum...
Good luck to Codie and Colton at NAtionals in Scranton PA this weekend! Hope you guys kick butt and take the titles home. Keep up the intensity and Good Luck. Love you guys!

April 13, 2000
comments: PLEASE POST THIS!!!!!
i would like to say congrats. to the whs wrestling team for a job well done 9 guys went to state and all 9 came back with a place in the top 5 of their weight class greast job guys! also cngrats. to ASH WENMOTH on his OW award it was well deserved! good luck to you all next year and a special good luck to ash and will at collage and their future wrestling also good luck to coach pickens next year with a talanted group of boys next year who were led by great team capatins which i hope has showed next years captains tim haddox and tyler westbrook how to be hreat leaders i think you all will do great nextyear you have a great coach aas well as captains i think tyler can work just as well as will and tim is a true leader good luck to all and i hope to see some godd wrestling at the matches i will attend next year from WHS good luck holly PLEASE POST THIS ITS THE 3RD TIME I HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT A GREAT WRESTLING TEAM THANKS

April 13, 2000
comments: Wrestlers who are serious about preparing for NHSCA in Alabama and AAU Nationals in Ohio are encouraged to make plans to attend my Gold Medal Training Camp during one of the weeks preceding these great events. For complete details see www.kenchertow.com

April 13, 2000
comments: Does anyone know what 2 teams were moved from region 2 to region 4? It's about time people did something!!

April 11, 2000
There will be no seeding for the state tournament. Current system will stay in place. If a region is short of wrestlers in a weight class, a rotation has been set up to use the 5th placers from other regions. Two teams from region 2 have been moved to region 4. These issues are up for consideration by WVSSAC. Have wrestlers shake hands with the opposing coach off the mat. Coaches stated that several incidents had happened this year with the sometimes forced exchange. The state will be in Huntington, no other city or school requested it. The official on the table will only be used as a timer, but in any incident he or she will make the decision on the end of match points. Except for the last one all need to be approved by the commission.

April 11, 2000
comments: How come commas never show up on our posts. Not a big deal just makes us look like illeterite West Verginuns.
Editor's note: I can assure you I would never knowingly delete a comma from a post...

April 11, 2000
comments: re any results from Morgantown going to be posted?
Editor's note: Dunno

April 11, 2000
email: KGARVI@NETL.DOE.GOV
comments: Wanted to congradulate those who placed at the NHSCA National Qualifier held at University High this past Saturday especially my son Jared Garvin for his first place finish as well as Zack Labin and Michael DeVault for their first place finishes too. The tournament was well organized and run and we hope to see a strong strong WV turnout at the Nationals in Birmingham.

NOTE: If there are other WV wrestlers and Parents who plan to attend please feel free to contact me at the noted e-mail address so we can put together a powerful WV group of wrestlers and supporters at the National Championships.

April 11, 2000
email: basford2@hotmail.com
comments: I was wondering if there is going to be any Open Tournaments coming up soon. If anyone knows of any tournaments near West Virginia could you please get ahold of me and let me know? Thanks...

April 11, 2000
comments: congradulations to whs wrestlers at state you all did a great job congrats.to ash wenmoth for his OW award you deserved it fair and square also congrats. to tim and good luck to all wrestlers next year good luck to ash and will in collage and future wrestling

April 11, 2000
comments: A handful of easter panhandle wrestlers wrestled in a tournament in Hagerstown Md this Saturday. It was a nice tournament with almost every weight class having 6 to 12 wrestlers with a lot of state place winners and qualifiers most of them from Md and Pa. Hedgesville's Jason Baker took 1st in the 191 lb weight class pinning his first opponent and tech falling Maryland wrestler Joe Esmont 17-2 in the finals. Martinsburg's David Clopton 121 lb and Sean Agoney 147 lb finished 2nd. Clopton received a 1st round bye then pinned a Pennyslvania wrestler before dropping a 4-3 decision to Cotoctin Md's Todd Atkins. Agoney got a 1st round bye won by tech fall then defeated Md state runner-up Josh Swartz 6-5 before losing to Williamsport Md's Wayne Boward 9-3. Also Martinsburg's Bill Barbour came in 4th at 142 lb.

April 11, 2000
email: pstamper0@frostburg.edu
comments: Anyone know of any place in Western MD the Eastern WV panhandle or Southwest PA that has post-season practices. Frostburg State University has practices on Tuesdays at 8 p.m. in the Cumberland Hall Gym. But anyone know of any place else?

April 11, 2000
comments: i would just like to congratulate matt miller on a job well done at the nhsca he beat chris dagget of south 2-1 in a exhibition

April 11, 2000
comments: just like to say congratulations to the WHS wrsetlers for making it to state as all of the 9 wrestlers that went placed in the top 6 also congrats. to ash wenmoth for his OW wrestler award you deserved it good luck to all WHS wrestlers next year and good luck to ash and willie in college and wrsetling!

April 8, 2000
comments: In response to April 3 forum posting - Congratulations to Anthony R. for his great career! I have enjoyed the times I got to work with him and hope to see him excel at WVU. Mark Samples was an NCAA All American in 1999. Mark Mike and I are the only WV natives to earn NCAA DI All American Honors in recent years. I believe there was another fellow over 30+ years ago. Jeremy Hart & Jay Michael were very close in recent years. They had great careers! I look forward to working with many WV boys at my Gold Medal Training Camp this summer. Please note that Mike Mason, Mark Samples, Jeremy Hart, and Jay Michael attended my summer camp annually from grades 7-12. They all did my weekend Camp of Champs frequently as well. Complete Gold Medal Training Camp details and much more information can be found on our camp web page http://www.kenchertow.com

April 8, 2000
comments: Does any one know who Musselman High School has returning next year? Does anyone know anything about the returning wrestlers?

April 8, 2000
comments: Have the results of the Mason Dixon Youth tournament been posted anywhere?
Editor's note: Not to my knowledge...

April 8, 2000
comments: Does anyone know if WVU have positions for wrestling managers?

April 6, 2000
email: wrestlecla@aol.com
comments: I would like to say great job to Erica Dye..... I think she has a big heart and I am proud that she stuck with it. Good Luck in the future and keep up the good work. I am very impressed. She is doing what it takes to be a State Champion.
April 6, 2000
comments: address for "abc/espn would you like to see more amatuer wrestling poll" is http://www.dustyrhodes.net vote to get more t.v. coverage !

April 6, 2000
comments: Does anyone know how much wrestlers recieve at the NHSCA nationals in pittsburgh?

April 6, 2000
Good luck to my boys Codie Corie and Colton at Regionals this Saturday. I will be thinking about you all until I find out the results. I am hoping to see 3 placements into Nationals... This is what you have worked all season for so WIN for me! I love you guys and best of luck!

April 6, 2000
comments: Just some info to answer some questions about the National Open West Virginia qualifier being held at University High School: Weigh in and registration are Friday night April 7th from 5-7 PM. You can weigh in on Saturday morning April 8th (7:30-8:30 AM) ONLY IF you are pre-registered and you must wrestle at your pre-registered weight because bracketing and seeding will be done on Friday night - NO EXCEPTIONS! We will take walk ins on Friday night (5-7). Wrestling starts on Saturday at 9:00 AM. We have had about 6 State champions already pre-register! You can get more info from the entry form found on this web site.

April 6, 2000
comments: Just like to comment on the national qualifiers. The more that goesm the merrier because WV is a state with some wrestling talent and could do some damage. We may not be a top notch state but we are on the verge. We are a top Middle class team ready to break into the Upper-class/top-notch category. Come on guys go and show them what we've got.

April 3, 2000
comments: University High School had their annual wrestling banquet and I would like to congratulate all who participated and those that were also honored with an award. Congrats to Kenny Griffin who finished his stellar career with 140 wins and a senior season that had 38 wins and was runner-up in the states (to Anthony Regalbuto). Also to Nathan Kinsley who won 35 matches was a state runnerup (losing a close one in the finals 8-7) and who also had the most pins for UHS (24). Congrats to Jeff Peroots who won 27 matches at 125 lb. and was their most improved wrestler and to UHS's rookie of the year freshman Andrew Flynn who won 25 matches and qualified for the state tournament. And lastly congratulation to a fine coaching staff. UHS has 9 returning juniors 3 sophomores 7 freshman and a couple of good looking wrestlers coming up from the middle school ranks. Although they lose 4 very fine wrestlers in Griffin (145) Luke Hoover (140) DJ Tater (152) and Charles Burnworth (103) this team should be very strong next season.

April 3, 2000
email: roo61@aol.com
comments: Hey just thought i would email every underclassman that has qualified for the nationals so far believe me it would be very wise to go the biggest reason being that wv wrestling can hang with any other state including ohio and california but the biggest problem is that we only have 6 or 7 guys a year whereas california (who lives 2 thousand miles away) brings almost 35 to 40 guys a year. Also i would like to thank my Uncle Tony for being behind me all these years and supporting me without him i dont believe i could i done as well as i did in the nationals that also applies to my great coach Ernie Sparks who is the most underrated coach in the state and i will tell you why because he takes a group of wrestlers from a region not known for outstanding athletes and teaches them not only about the wonderful sport of wrestling but he teaches us to be disciplined men all the while letting us know that its still just a sport and that it needs to be fun as well.

I would like to thank everyone who has made this sport such an overwhelming experience and thank the man who created this website its makes the wrestling season so much fun without it people like my crazy MEXICANO brother could never have run there mouth so frequently and have insulted so many people at once. Thanks again for making high school wrestling in this state so great!

April 3, 2000
comments: do they take walk on's at the university high tournament

April 3, 2000
email: jacob@schlottke.com
comments: Check out hswrestling.com and www.valleytrained.8m.com

April 3, 2000
comments: First like to congratulate all the WV wrestlers who competed this past weekend at the NHSCA Sr. nationals in pittsburgh. There was some great competition there and some gutsy performances by WV wrestlers. JP Stanley showing that he is a very good wrestler one match away from placing and good matches by the other wv wrestlers. Special Congratulations to Anthony Regalbuto for placing 4th. Can't wait to see you at WVU next year wrestling. In a very intense and exciting tournament Anthony showed his skills and class. He has turned out to be a great young man. WVU is getting quite a gem and hey he is already recruiting for them. Question does anyone out there know how many WV wrestlers went on to become a NCAA division I all american. I know of Mike Mason and Ken Chertow but thats all that I know of. Would like to know if any others. Would like to say WVU recruits this year are looking very good. Brandon Lauer looked very good just an overtime match away from the finals and ended up placing. Also Greg Jones coming in is for real. He did not get to compete at NHSCA as he was in the Dapper Dan. Like to also thank Mark Cagle of Mussleman for coaching and helping Anthony through the tournament and have to second the comments of the Regalbutos on here. Mark is a very classy individual and I wish nothing but good luck for him and his program. Hope he sticks it out at Mussleman as more experienced wrestlers are coming up to make things even more enjoyable. Anyway as things are wrapping up for this season some things I would love to see next season. A dual meet state tournament like Maryland has. Have the top four dual teams in each region wrestle and the top in all four regions meet and wrestle for the title. Also like to see some all star matches against other states such as Ohio Maryland Virginia and Pennsylvania. I put that on here before and one of the comments to that was that the season would have to be extended. Big deal Maryland figured out a way to do this how is it WV can't. Anyway also like to see an all star meet of A-AA champs vs. AAA champs. These ideas I feel would be great ways to promote the sport and get more recognition both in state and out of state for WV wrestlers. Also of course like to see Regional Realignment. Anyway would like to wish good luck to all WV wrestlers this offseason and also to Cary Kolat in his quest for olympic gold. Oh yeah also thank you to Zeke Jones of WVU who also helped Anthony at Pittsburgh giving advice on upcoming matches.

April 3, 2000
comments: Dapper Dan results: The Georgia boy showed up with a busted wing but wrestled anyway. He wrestled Spades the first match. (Spade No#1 119Lb.in nation) Spades won match 3 to 2. The Georgia boy could not wrestle the second match Against Flegger(Flegger NO# 2 119lb in nation)Flegger was upset so he ended up wrestling the 3 time state champion from Nebraska Flegger won 15-0.

April 3, 2000
PLEASE POST THIS ON YOUR SITE
In association with http://dustyrhodes.net you have the opportunity to get more amateur wrestling coverage on TV. Just visit the web address, and place your vote in the online poll. Once the poll is over votes will be collected and sent to ESPN/ABC studios. Your participation is crucial.
Thanks,
Jason Edwards.

April 3, 2000
email: curreyml@wirefire.com
comments: I drove up to Pittsburgh for the match. Rodriguez lost fist match 3-2 to Spates. Rodrigues gave up a takedown in first period and escape in second. then scored takedown. Rodriguez ried several throws/spin throughs but Spates was too wiry/flexible. Rodriguez had hyperextended his elbow on Thursday and reinjured it during the match. Did not wrestle second match against Fleeger. Complete match results at Wrestlingreport.com website. Click on Classic on left side of home page for all results. any other questions/thoughts feel free to e-mail back.

April 3, 2000
comments: In response to the question about the Dapper Dan Classic: Chris Rodrigues from Walker School in Georgia injury defaulted out of the consolation rounds after losing to either Spates or Fleeger (I can't remember which one) 3-2. Rodrigues hurt his shoulder before the tournament tried to compete and could not.

April 3, 2000
comments: Regarding the Dapper Dan Classic--the Pa. All Stars blew away the National team and the WPIAL team tied the Nebraska state team. Justin Spates of Pa. at 119 beat the 4x Georgia state champ 3-2 and the second challenge match was changed when the Georgia kid hurt his shoulder. The other 119 Pa. state champ (small school) tech falled the substitute a 3x Nebraska state champ 15-0. Pa. wrestling rules. Spates whose father is head coach at Oklahoma was the OW.

April 3, 2000
comments: Luke Justin Spates from Mt Pleasant High PA beat the 4X 119lb Georgia state champ Chris Rodrigues 3-2. Rodrigues did not wrestle the second PA wrestler because of elbow injury. team PA defeated team USA 34-12.

April 3, 2000
comments: Are there gonna be any top notch kids at morgantown? IF so who i wanna go if there is good competition but if no im not gonna go

April 3, 2000
comments: CONGRADULATIONS to Erica Dye on placing 1st in the 100lb. class at the Middle Atlantic Championships 1st in the 110lb. class at the Ohio Girls State Championships and also 5th in the nation in the 101lb. class at the Unites States Girls Wrestling Association Championships. Keep up the good work.

April 3, 2000
comments: Erica Dye placed 5th in the girls national championship she got beat by the girls that got 3rd and 4th. CONGRATULATIONS FROM THE WIRT HIGH WRESTLING TEAM.

March 30, 2000
email: lgunder@hotmail.com
comments: does anyone know the results of the Dapper Dan Classic? Especially interested in what happened between the Georgia 119 lb. champion and the two PA wrestlers that he challenged. Thanks

March 30, 2000
email: throp@hotmail.com
comments: Does anyone know who is in charge of the Mid-Atlantic Wrestling Association (MAWA) regarding the District qualifiers Regional qualifiers and the Eastern National Championships? If anyone knows who to contact whether by mail phone or email please post the info here or email me as soon as possible.

March 30, 2000
comments: I definately see miller wininning another states tille. i also see noechel and sternthal capturing titles with their 4th place finishes at last years states. i see ujhely with his NCAC jv championship futton satterfield keeny for qualifing for states. and also the Geary with successful first years of highschoo l all placing at the states tourney. i also see hoss and carp having strong finishes. So look at for East.

March 30, 2000
email: tanyamunday@aol.com
comments: Congratulations Nicholas Munday for winning the Junior State Championship for 11-12 100 lbs. You have worked hard and are still going strong. Good luck at the National Qualifier in Millersville PA. We know you will make us proud. Thank you to all the coaches and parents for the constant support. Go Cougars!

March 30, 2000
comments: Special thanks to Mark Cagle for helping Anthony prepare for Nationals both mentally and physically. For the past three weeks leading up to Nationals Mark made sure that Anthony had all the things he needed for his toughest competition. From arranging practice partners practice rooms expert techinque to hours of his own time that he spent drilling and wrestling with Anthony. Mark is one of the finest men that we have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He loves the sport of wrestling and really appreciates young men like Anthony who pour their heart and soul into the sport year-round. Mark is a graduate of WVU where he wrestled and was WVU's first All-American. Mark is now the Head Wrestling Coach at Musselmen High School. And I would bet you that it is just a matter of time before Musselmen becomes the power of the Eastern Panhandle and eventually one of the top teams in the state. Mark there are not enough people like you in this world and we are forever grateful for what you have done for our family and Anthony. We are proud to have you as our friend.
The Regalbuto Family

March 30, 2000
comments: in 93 Wv had 5 guys place at Pittsburg Mike Mason of Williamstown Doug Moore of North Marion Eric Freed of Parkersburg Rob Archer of Huntington and Chris Courtney of Fairmont Senior I know these guys placed but what i do not know I know that Mason was 3rd and lost in the semi's.

March 30, 2000
comments: A big THANKS to "Uncle Tony" for his interest and support of the Cabell Midland Wrestling Team throughout this 99-2000 season We love ya!
Josh Jared and JP
Editor's note: Hi Josh, Jared, and JP -- send me an email....

March 30, 2000
comments: Congrats to Anthony Regalbuto on his excellent 4th place showing at the NHSCA tournament. Anthony gave eventual champion Jesse Jantsen of NY his toughest match of the tournament losing by major decision 9-0. Jantsen beat all other opponents by fall or tech fall including a 15-0 tech in the finals.
West Virginia finished 32nd as a team not quite as good as the 25th from last year but better then the 42nd from 1998. Let's hope more wrestlers choose to compete next year as many have already qualified. Those include:

AAA
103 Jonathan Delligatti  Fairmont Senior
112 Justin Stanley  Cabell Midland
119 Matt Stevens  Parkersburg
119 Nathan Kinsley  University
119 Chris Johnson  Nitro
130 Clayton Samples  Parkersburg
140 Bryan Moats  Hedgesville
171 Matt Miller  East Fairmont
171 Joey Thomas  Huntington
275 Matt Clay  Herbert Hoover

AA
112 Ash Gandee  Ravenswood
119 Tim Haddox  Williamstown
125 Tyler Hughes  Cameron
130 Eric Noel  Oak Glen
135 Chris Leach  Grafton
145 Adam Schindler  Ravenswood
160 Wyatt O'Neal  Cameron
171 Richard Stotler  Berkeley Springs
189 Philip Belville  Oak Glen
189 Josh Moyer  Independence
215 Greg Six  Oak Glen
275 Thomas Naylor  Ritchie County
We finished 32nd this year with 7 wrestlers and 1 placewinner. Imagine what we could do next year with all these tough wrestlers and the many others who will also qualify!

March 30, 2000
email: wrestlinghhs@yahoo.com
comments: to wvwrestler:
mike mason placed 3rd
doug moore placed 7th
eric freed i believe placed 8th at 135? (scheny is that correct on eric?)
chris courtney placed 6th
robbie archer placed 7th at 112lbs. (rob beat 2x florida state champion lee clark of ft. pierce 2-0 in the 7th/8th place match)

these results are from the high school nationals in (1993)

March 27, 2000
comments: comments:To who ever has the problem with my comment on the forum my email is posted.I would enjoy hearing from you.You can say what ever you need to say in the email I won't get upset.An please send your address with so i can get in touch.As far as running a wrestler down an the champion at that i don't think so

March 27, 2000
comments: I see a list of high school all americans and was wondering if any way you could put the weight class and what place they finished at the nationals i know of a few like
Mark Samples 2nd 94
Jeremy Hart 7th 96
Kevin Acord 4th 96
Jason Ward 2nd 99
Alex Reed 4th 99
Anthony Regalbuto 4th 2000
I am real curious on how Mike Mason Doug Moore Rob Archer and others did Can someone help?
Thank You
Editor's note: There are several way to qualify for "all-american" status. For instance, the NHSCA Open recognizes its top finishers as "all-americans." While I understand your interest in what place everyone finished, I think that if someone earns legitimate "all-american" status that we should congratulate that person and leave it at that.....

March 27, 2000
comments: I listend to Anthonys semi-final match and consolation final match via internet Anthony lost the semi finals 9-0 to a 4x ny state champ then he won the consolation semi final 5-2 and lost the consolation final 2-1 in sudden death to a virginia wrestler congrats on his 4th place finish

March 27, 2000
Congratulations to Codie Corie and Colton Gustines for qualifying for Regionals in Millersville PA in 2 weeks. I am so proud of you guys and all of the hard work you have put forth this year..it's paying off! Gussie and Shelley you 2 are the best! The support and love you have for not only your boys but me is awesome and appreciated!! Thanks for everything during the wrestling season! Love you all! Good luck to the boys at Regionals and the next step at Nationals!

March 27, 2000
From the Department of Reliable Sources:
The coaches meeting for wrestling is April 7th in Parkersburg in the WVSSAC office. Seeding of the state tournament has been sent to all coaches for their ideas and comments.

March 27, 2000
email: curreyml@wirefire.com
comments: results from first round at Senior nationals.
119 Stanley won 9-4
130 Wenmoth lost by pin
135 Walters lost by pin
189 Coffey won 11-10
275 Heath lost 3-1

Congrats to Josh Coffey and Anthony Regalbutto for advancing to the third round at the senior nationals.
comments: I WOULD LIKE TO CONGRADULATE JP STANLEY JOSH COFFEY AND JARED WALTERS ON A GREAT JOB AT THE NATIONALS.IWOULD ALSO LIKE TO CONGRADULATETHE REST OF CABELL MIDLANDS WRESTLERS ON A GREAT SEASON.I LOVE YOU GUYS AS MY BROTHERS. GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR UNDERCLASSMEN.AND LAST I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT I THINK COACH SPARKS IS THE BEST COACH EVER.THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME.

comments: Congratulations to Anthony at Senior Nationals I think i speak for the state of WV when saying we are very very proud of you.

March 27, 2000
When are you going to post the results of the Mason county open last Sat. March 18th? Several WV wrestlers participated in the tournament.
Editor's note: I don't think I got the results...

March 27, 2000
email: chrisbuggie@yahoo.com
comments: To all the people putting schools down for the way they run a tournment. I would just like to make a couple of statements. I go to some of the most well run tournments anywhere when I attended a tournment that wasn't well run I said man this tournment sucks. But it didn't it turned out to turn up okay and the maches were mostly fair I only seen two people get robbed. I also thought to myself "would I be able to do any better" and the answer to that is no. And I know from hearing the people that do complain that they wouldn't be able to do any better. So next time you hear someone complaining or you yourself are complaining ask you or that person if they could do a better job. Next thing all the trash talk about other schools being better at this sport it isn't the school. It is the program the support the coaches the fans and most importantly the wrestler. I admit individual wrestlers don't win a state title the teams do. But when you are out there trash talking a school about how you know you are better than them and you know you can beat them you are putting the wrestlers down. How would you like it if there was a team out there that was like "hey man when we get a hold of them they won't know what to think". Most of you are probably not going to like it but then you get the people that want to lie to themselves and to other people and say "I wouldn't care I know who the best is comon we can take 'em." But it is a sport. People love to watch it people love to compete in it and people love to coach it. Most of all the men or ladies that compete in it want to win just as much as you want them to win. And not all the wrestlers get to have there hand raised to say they won the finals or the semi-finals but hopefully they know in their heart that they are a winner. And if a wrestler was robbed at a tournment or at state like most of us know happened don't blame it on the school or the wrestler just tell the wrestlers how good of a job they did and say to them they are always a winner in your heart and eyes. And if you are a parent or fan that doesn't feel that your child or the kid you were cheering for is a winner then maybe you don't deserve that child that school or that seat in which you cheer from. I know that some of you say that was a waist if time but it wasn't I just felt that if you're big enough to say you are a better school than some other school go up to your schools athletic director and have a chat the forum should be used for congradulations not for boasting. To coaches that it may concern if you know that your wrestler didn't win don't rob another wrestler of a chance at a tournment title or a state title you only get a bad rep. And hopefully last congradulations to all place finishers at Junior States and WV State High School Wrestling Tournment. God bless all and when season starts again and in some places where it didn't end have fun and build up confedience in yourself but please all fans parents and wrestlers don't boast just congradulate. "For we wrestle..." Eph. 6:12

March 27, 2000
comments: next year watch for miller to win his third state title along with being OW. noechel and sternthal will also win along with ujhelyi keeney futton satterfield ben and brandon geary beckwith hoss and carp placing for east. next year will be east's year.

March 27, 2000
email: jrowell@maranatha.net
comments: Congratulations to Ash Wenmoth of Williamstown on winning his third state championship and the best to him this weekend in Pittsburgh.
I also have a comment about the state tournament in Maryland which is where I now live. I have attended the tournament the past 6-7 years. The previous comments were correct the facilities are the pits. Nevertheless Maryland's best wrestlers are worth watching but I think WVa wrestlers would go head to toe.

March 27, 2000
email: quarter_nelson@yahoo.com
comments: I'd like to echo Pittsburgh National fan's comment. It would be great to see a strong showing of WV seniors at the nationals. I went in 97 and it was great to see John Jackson get All-American honors along with seeing other WV talent like Buddy McKeen and Josh Waugh among many others (painter etc etc )go up against the best in the country.

March 27, 2000
From: In response to the editors comments supporting D.K.
comments: I understand the point that you make with the analogy about your wife. Now if your wife won the "Prettiest Wrestling Mom Pageant" would it be fair for me to say that my wife is really the champion and that she would have won. No it is not and that is what you are trying to argue. The original post I sent was defending the champion that's all. You are defending someone who is trying to devalue the champion(not to mention all the hard work blood sweat and tears that they put in). Although opinions are like armpits everyone has a couple I think that D.K. and your opinions are wrong. Now that's my opinion.

March 27, 2000
comments: Randy Ammons has been the coach this year for the Berkeley County Bears and has been assisted by several other returning coaches including Greg Hess.. one of the early founders of the Berkely County program. Dan Hudson was elected the new President for this year. The previous coach... Doug Jones... left when his son started wrestling for Mussleman High School after leaving the Bears program. Ken Haislip who was a coach for the bears left and started the South Berkeley Dragons Junior league team. This was at first viewed by some as a negative.... but soon turned out to be a positive. It gives kids an opportunity to wrestle without having to travel so far to attend practices. It also allows for more room and personalized instruction as was not the case before the team split. The bears will be back next year and in the years to come and are still bringing future stars through it's program. All programs at one time or another go through leadership changes and tra! nsition periods. Such is the same with Berkeley County and once all the kinks are worked out things will be fine. Hope we answered your question.

March 27, 2000
comments: It has been almost 2 weeks since the Youth Championship of WV that was held in Clarksburg. Can someone please submit the results to this webpage please.....

March 27, 2000
comments: Now that the 2000 season has past I would like to mention a few young wrestlers from other schools that delighted us during the season. First Anthony Regalbutto--Anthony it was pure pleasure to watch you perform the moves you abviously practiced for many years.I had stated before on the forum that you were the best wrestler in the state for the past 2 years.Keep a positive attitude and work hard to bring home a few NCAA titles.Not only AAA but AA/A wrestlers that I enjoined were Wenmouth of Williamstown and Litten of Frankfort. Oak Glen--next year we will find out who has the best dual team too bad we cannot compete in a tourney to find that out too.Though our schools are competitors I enjoy watching your talented young men who are well schooled and well coached.I look forward to Jan.2000 in Cumberland.Fairmont Sr. and Cabell Midland--two well coached and fun teams to compete with during the regular season and at states.Thanks and congratuations on fielding good tea! ms to watch and compete against.We fans can only thank the good Lord that we are blessed by all these great young men to entertain us.Best wishes to all in the upcoming tourneys and next season.

March 23, 2000
comments: Way to go Martha. I knew you would do well in PA.

March 23, 2000
comments: I liked the comments about the new region alignment from a hedgesville kid great idea. we know the state officials are not smart enough to figure out that one. In another case hedgesville did not wrestle Oak glen so they could not say they would have won. Fairmont Senior would have won with delligatti because the five points would have vanished with delligatti's victory maiking it a one point senior victory. All three are good teams i just feel Oak Glen's schedule and results prove their worth as a team. I hope these actually get posted!

March 23, 2000
comments: So far only 6 of the 38 eligible WV senior werestlers have registered for the tournament.
Let's all pull together for a good overall showing by the mountain state team!

March 23, 2000
comments: We would like to wish Anthony Regalbutto the best of luck this weekend at High School Nationals.

March 23, 2000
comments: Does anyone know who is the coach of Berkeley Co. Youth Wrestling now? Someone told me that their coach of the last few years had left and that the team may not be back next year. Say it ain't so. This is where most of Hedgesville's wrestlers came from and this will really hurt them. Who is Berkeley's coach and did he leave for somewhere else?

March 23, 2000
Hey i am currently looking for a section of a mat. i would prefer somewhere in the neighborhood of 13x23, and i would be willing to pay a reasonable price for it. if you can help please e mail me at Daran158@aol.com or Hawkeyewannabe@aol.com
thank you, daran hays

March 23, 2000
comments: jenny's mat lines are well written...go jenny!

March 23, 2000
comments: Vertus Jones finished second. He lost to Cael Sanderson of Iowa State 16-5 in the finals. Sanderson must be terrific. Not only did he go undefeated this year his run throuhg the brackets was pin tf tf md md. That my friens is incredible at the National Championships. You can see the brackets at ncaawrestling.com

March 23, 2000
email: hawkeyewannabe@aol.com or Daran158@aol.com
comments: I would like to wish JP Stanley Jared Walters Josh Coffey Joe Heath Anthony Regalbuto and anyone else who is attending the best of luck this weekend at Pittsburg. Show the rest of the country that WV wrestling is for real! Good Luck

March 23, 2000
comments: Could anyone post the results of anyone participating in this past weekends wrestling tournament at Fort Hill High School and the Brooke AAU tournament.

March 23, 2000
comments: congrats to joe handlan parkersburg high who has coached more than 50 state champs now....that is a significant accomplishment!

March 23, 2000
comments: i was looking over the hostory of parkersburgh high school..it is without question the most successful program over time...hedgesville did not fair well at the states.....to argue over the best dual record is academic...parkersburg south was clearly the deepest and most talented team...

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page