West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- November 1997 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

November 9, 1997
I may not know everything there is to know about wrestling by far, but I do know that buffalo bill is wrong about one thing, The Midland/HHS dual does not take place on the hill, its at the castle. If I'm wrong someone correct me. And whats this -- some people are forgetting about Jason Ward. He's back and he's ready to wrestle and claim what he deserves, another state championship.

November 9, 1997
comments: Wow! Eleven submissions in one day! Looks as if this season is going to be alive with forum postings. It also looks as if the people from HHS are making good use of it! There was a good point made about success boiling down to the person who steps on the mat. HHS keeps posting memos on the fine coaching staff that they will have this season.....but it won't matter, because the coaches can't come onto the mat and wrestle their match for them. In response to Mr. Brook's forum posting, Ken Chertow did represent Kanawha and Eastern Cabell counties, but the only reason why he did is because these are the only places where he drew any students. The Huntington wrestlers had the same opportunities to come down, but they never did. It almost looks as if Mr. Brooks is placing a insult towards Coach Sparks. Coach Sparks is a great coach who knows how to get the most from his wrestlers on the mat, in the classroom, and in public. Midland has not lost any varsity wresters due to grades over the past couple of years. The fact that Coach Sparks better prepares his athletes is obvious. Midland wrestlers seem to have better conditioning, using a more in-your-face style, while HHS seems to use the "circle-and-stall" technique. I am done now, just wanting to even these messages out.

November 9, 1997
comments: I heard that there is only one weigh in at the state tournament. Does anybody know if this is true?

November 9, 1997
comments: Congratulations to Brent Zuccolotto, soph. 140 lb. & Robert Busick, 189lb. Zuccolloto placed 17th and Busick placed 4th, both Weir High Wrestlers, in Wrestling USA mag top 20 soph-freshman rankings of the nation's best.

November 8, 1997
In response to Tom Brooks. The last time I heard the wrestlers were the ones who went onto the mat. Also (regarding) the reference to K. Chertow, just wondering why only the Eastern Cabell Co. wrestlers benefitted? ..... In response to Jared Walters, good luck at 125, it will be a tough class. From what I have heard, Frazier may still be there; have you had an off season wrestle off? Coaching aside, the North (as in Marion) and South (as in Pburg) may have something to say about the outcome even if the Pony Express have John Smith and Kenny Monday coaching!

November 8, 1997
HHS definitely got a real winner in James branch the FIRST WV NATIVE TO WIN A NATIONAL TITLE AT ANY LEVEL. To the young wrestlers that aspire to even become a state champion or succeed at the college level take a look at James; when he was a kid in 7th grade they where having a pep rally for the wrestlers, he thought it looked fun so he tried out the next year. Four years later James was 30-1 with a state championship. But James wanted to continue his wrestling career; with a limited number of college choices he had (I don't even believe any school tried to recruit him?) he chose West Liberty, and no scholarship. He was a walk on (I'm not sure -- does West Lib give out scholarships?) An outstanding freshman season, NAIA national qualifier, missed placing by one match, an 8th place finish at the NAIA level, and by this time James was excelling on the gridiron as a member of the West Liberty football team and was a defensive standout and captain of the defense. And after a red shirt!

James finished 3rd in division 2 as a junior, and then what no one else can ever take away from James (regardless of the level of wrestling he competed on) in college he was the first native to win a national title. Look at all the past WV wrestlers who have competed at the next level they did not win a national championship. James Branch did! And to the kids that thought wrestling was fun when they first started out maybe with a lot of hard work and dedication you can be a state and national champion. And besides his coaching duties James plays semi-pro football with the Huntington Hawks and also would like to play arena football. With a coach of this caliber a "Mr. Everything" like James, I could never foresee the HHS wrestlers not benefiting! Good luck at your new job!
class of 92, buffalo bill cody riding off again
November 8, 1997
... and just an interesting side note to the college wrestling input I had recently on the forum. Coach Sparks (when he was head coach at Barboursville) coached Rod and Steve Pruett who, between the two, won three state wrestling championships. The Pruett brothers are sons of current MU football coach Bob Pruett. Coach Pruett also ran track, football and wrestled at Marshall.

November 7, 1997
Too bad Ryan Courtney was a senior last year. I don't think he is a contender for state champion

November 7, 1997
email: jtbrooks@wwd.net
I'd like to start out by saying that I think this year will be a great year for West Virginia wrestling. The competition is going to be stiff. One thing I've noticed about all the posts here is the emphasis on the wrestlers themselves, but I think the coaches will be a very big factor in this state. Even though South has very quality wrestlers they have lost their head coach and that will be a factor. As will coaching be important in the southern counties. Ken Chertow has left his off-season school which benefited many from Kanawha county and Eastern Cabell county wrestlers. Also, James Branch, a former HHS state champ and NCAA div II champ, will be added to the HHS coaching arsenal. Don't count coaching out of the picture this year for West Virginia wrestling.

November 7, 1997
comments: I agree 125 is going to be tough. Frazier is not wrestling 125, I am for CMHS. If Gorby goes up to 130 or 135 like someone mentioned it would not be as hard, but the battle will still be there. I think the Southern part of the state is getting better, but you can't leave out the Northern. Parkersburg South lost al lot of seniors, but what I heard, they had a good freshman team last year. Region 3 is getting better every year, I think. Midland and Huntington both had a solid freshman team last year. It was within 3 points at WSAZ, with Huntington winning. Midland winning the year before. Pt. Pleasant has runner-up Alex Reed. I don't know about our 112lbs, out of state, unless you are talking about Stanely, who moved here, while he was in middle school two years ago. So I think Region 3 will keep getting better.

November 7, 1997
comments: Suppose I did Midknight, I have my days when I get ahead of myself. Wish I could have been there for "dual at the castle 1" but I have plans to be there at "dual at the castle 2" again when history repeats itself!!!!!!!!!
buffalo bill cody riding off again

November 7, 1997
Something that I have seen for the past year makes me a little upset. When people make postings and predictions they seem to think that the AAA division is the only one in the state. Yes I know that AAA has some tougher competition and the crowds follow AAA, but there are some outstanding AA-A teams here in WV. Also I realize that maybe there are not a lot of AA-A fans, coaches or wrestlers tuning in to WvMat to submit to the forum. One thing I would wish though is that when a fan submits comments for the forum about predictions please denote that this is a AAA prediction so that someone outside of WV wrestling will understand that North Marion, Huntington, Cabell Midland, Parkersburg South and Wheeling Park are not the only wrestling schools in WV. So you are probably saying "who cares" Well I care and every other AA-A fan , coach and wrestler should too. THIS FORUM SUBMISSION IS NO TO DEBATE WHICH DIVISION IS BETTER!! It is intended to just ask "give some credit to the AA-A where it is due." I think WV wrestling should worry about debating wether or not we can compete with the likes of PA, OH, NC....

As for the top AA-A I feel it is up for grabs. All of the top teams have excellent returners.

November 7, 1997
comments: To the person up north. First of all I do agree with you. North (Marion) has all but three of their returning starters back this year. They have a guy who should probably be at 112 lbs this year that beat Schmiddle from Preston last year who placed in States. Also, Gorby and Besedich who have been in the top 5 in the state for 3 yrs. And then you got Conaway and Scott Moore who always can surprise people.

From what I understand Gorby will be at 130 - 135 this year and Besedich and Conaway at 152 and 189 respectively. But, this year I think will be one of the better state tournaments. The top teams in the state are pretty much even, instead of South running away with it.
Good Luck to all teams and wrestlers this year.

November 7, 1997
comments: Does anyone know if their will be a preseason tournament at Jefferson this year? There was one last year and I'm looking to get a few matches in before the season starts.

November 7, 1997
comments: I agree HHS is going to have a good team this year with Chirgwin, Fullen, Thorpe, Singleton, Fullen, Brooks, and Cox. But they have some tough losses like Wright, Myrell, Crabtree, and the older Singleton. But I am not sure if they are tough enough for the regionals. Like Midland, which I am from. Thorpe pretty much said our returning wrestlers. But I guess they forgot about Jason Ward, since some of you forgot about him, let me tell you about some of his past. As a freshman starting varsity, he was a state champ. As a sophomore, runner-up, losing to ow of previous year.
Oh yea, I heard MEXICONO is returning, so be prepared

November 7, 1997
comments: Well it sure does look that way Coach Bender! another trivia question:
Who participated in the first wrestling match in the state of West Virginia? if you say PARKERSBURG V.S.WOODROW WILSON (BECKLEY) you're dead wrong!!!!
I like Jesco's pre-season poll -- it does make a great way to determine the rankings. OK, my team predictions:
1. Huntington High (you may look at their names and thank they are not much but Coach Archer's track record for getting the most out of any of his wrestlers is and he knows how is remarkable)
2. Cabell Midland (could this be their year to finally overtake HHS and win regions? Hey does anyone remember the Buffalo Bills!)
3. Parkersburg South (new head coach, same hard schedule, makes them always a top 5 pic any year)
4. Fairmont Sr. (Coach Delligati has done an outstanding job in his two years back at his alma mater, loss of Courtney, Wilfong and Neptune make it tuff, but a top 5 sate finish is definitely there)
5. North Marion (Coach Michael has one a state AA title could this be the year he gets the big one AAA)
6. Roane County (Roane Co had an excellent season last year, a 24-1dual record (only loss was to HHS) and top ten state finish. Many veterans back including state champ Josh Craddock. Top 6 is a goal they can easily reach this year
7. Jefferson (loss of Jackson was tuff. The return of Zombro should ease things a little bit
8. Parkersburg (Coach Handlan is a lot like Coach Archer -- can get the best out of any wrestler he has.
9. Wheeling Park (loss of Becker, Kulpa was a blow, but they have enough talent for a top ten finish)
10.Point Pleasant (this will be the dark horse, the Cinderella team this year)

My predictions may offend some but we all have a right to our predictions.
buffalo bill riding off again

November 7, 1997
From: AA Wrestler comments: I know AAA wrestling is bigger and more people watch, but us A-AA guys work just as hard. Would someone give a little information on us.

November 7, 1997
comments: Here's the AAA Individual Champ Predictions for 1998:
103-Alex Reed, Point Pleasant
112-Daniel Bonasso, Fairmont Senior
119-Brian Flanegin, Wheeling Park
125-Adam Gorby, North Marion
130-Eric Frazier, Cabell Midland
135-Joe Thorpe, Huntington
140-Nicholas Hedrick, Fairmont Senior
145-Jason Johnson, Parkersburg South
152-Jason Ward, Cabell Midland
160-Ryan Besedich, North Marion
171-Ryan Zombro, Jefferson
189-Ryan Courtney, Fairmont Senior
215-Mike Zebuhr, Buckhannon Upshur
275-Zach Kerns, Elkins

I realize the probability of all these wrestlers being in these predicted weight classes is unlikely. However, I feel this would be the best way for WV to spread its wrestlers for an "All-WV Team."

November 7, 1997
comments: Good to see the comments up and running again. However, Mr. Edrington (Buffalo Bill) seems to have his facts wrong. Huntington High comes to wrestle at Midland this year. Also there were a few names omitted (for some reason or another) from the Midland lineup. The Knights have only lost two varsity members, contrary to what some people have posted on the board. I'm sure the HHS-Midland lines will really start to heat up over the next days, but all the trash talking will not make up for the action that will happen within the next few months. I know that the Knights will be ready this year. So, everyone out there need to be prepared for a great team this coming season.

November 6, 1997
Even though its too early to really pick, here are my choices of how the state tournament will end.

If somebody does not agree with this I apologize. I did not pick favorites. This is just what I think. Also, could somebody predict who they think the state champions this upcoming year will be.
Until next time.

November 6, 1997
email: lemasterjpmd@msn.com
comments: Congrats to Jesco Wrestler! Neat idea adding up the returning points and subtracting seniors. . . now if we could only find out a way to figure in the outstanding JV guys who couldn't crack the starting lineups and project academics then we'd really have something! Your stats are really food for thought. Thanks again for posting them. One final word to BUFFALO BILL and a few others . . . please lay off the caps lock! It is the same as shouting on the net and is considered rude. We all know you don't shout all the time! Use the caps for emphasis, etc. It will make things a lot easier on the eyes for all of us. Keep the postings coming! We need to crank up this forum! How do you guys feels about the new rules on weight? Certify by Dec. 23rd and you can't go up more than one weight class and come back down? Only one weigh in for the states? What do you guys think? Where are Mexicano, wrestlfreak, The Gimp, Tom Brooks, Mat Man, the Oracle, Jenny Sullivan and all those other board burners from last season???? Let's hear from everyone. The sysop does a fantastic job on this site so let's use it!
Later...Jim

November 6, 1997
comments: How's this for a preseason poll?
A ranking of all the returning points from last year's state tournament (minus all graduating seniors)

Returning   Returning   Returning  
RK  School         Points      Placers    Qualifiers     
 1  Fairmont Sr     77.5          4           7
 2  Park South      72            4           7
 3  Cab Midland     67.5          3          10
 4  Roane County    59            2           8
 5  North Marion    55.5          3           7
 6  John Marshall   49            3           5
 7  Pt Pleasant     47.5          2           6
 8  Wheeling Park   41.5          2           5
 9  Buckhannon      35            2           4 
10  Hedgesville     32.5          3           6
10  Huntington      32.5          2           6
12  Jefferson       30            2           6
13  Elkins          26            2           2
14  Parkersburg     25            1           3
15  Ripley          22.5          1           4
16  Herbert Hoover  18            1           6
17  University      15            1           3
18  East Fairmont   14            1           4
19  Morgantown       9            0           2
20  Preston          8            0           2
I tallied these scores up rather quickly so hopefully they are accurate but I am sure they're not perfect.

November 6, 1997

Buffalo-Bill: I don't think anybody is biting on your trivia question. Ole' Coach Bender knows the answer though!

November 5, 1997

I THINK THAT THE STATE TOURNAMENT WILL BE MUCH CLOSER THEN PEOPLE THINK BECAUSE ALL OF THE TOP SCHOOLS IN THE STATE HAVE GOOD PEOPLE COMING BACK THIS YEAR. I THINK JOE IS RIGHT ABOUT THE 125lb WEIGHT - IF ALL THOSE GUYS ARE IN THAT WEIGHT CLASS. BUT YOU DON`T KNOW WHERE GORBY WILL BE COME TIME TO WRESTLE.
HERE IS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. HERE ARE MY PICKS.
1(NORTH MARION)
2(SOUTH)
3(MIDLAND)
4(HTGN)
5(FAIRMONT)
6(PARK)
7(J.MARSHALL)
8(ROANE)
9(JEFFERSON)
10(P`BURG).
SO YOU PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THAT AND WRITE BACK.
GO NORTH

November 5, 1997
From Jim LeMaster
email: lemasterjpmd@msn.com
In response to Joe Thorpe's post. First of all I'm glad you got your academics in order, Joe. From the time I saw you wrestle in 7th grade at Cammack, I have always thought you had the "Right Stuff" and . . . unlike some of your former team mates you have not been infected with the dreaded Circle and Stall Virus. You come out to wrestle. I agree that Both HHS and Cabell Midland will be strong.
I'm not sure where all this power from Fairmont is coming from: at the Wheeling Domino Duals last year Midland flat destroyed them and HHS edged out the Knights by a single point. I know that dual meets are NOT the state tournament and that a few outstanding guys can carry a team a long way. Let's hope that both teams stay injury free and wrestle their best. The showdown between the two has all the makings of another down to the wire nail biter! And . . . yes, Midland has a few surprises in store in addition to the one you mentioned. IT's good to see the messages flying again!!!

November 5, 1997
DA MAN IS BACK JOE THORPE!!!!!!!!!! A BRIEF LOOK BACK AT THORPE: 1995 29-8 AS A FRESHMAN REGIONAL RUNNER UP LOST IN REGIONALS TO EVENTUAL STATE CHAMPION PAUL RICHARDSON (NITRO) MISSED PLACING BY 1 MATCH 103LBS.
1996 REGIONAL CHAMPION FINALLY -- RECORD OF 29-7 STATE RUNNER UP 112 POUNDS
1997 I BELIEVE THORPE WAS 20-0 BEFORE HIS GRADE PROBLEMS BUT THAT IS ALL BEHIND HIM. HE HAD AN AWESOME OFF SEASON AS HIM MENTIONED.
THAT IS JUST TO HAVE JOE BACK!!!!!! THANKS JOE TELL YOU KNOW WHO I SAID HI, AND THIS HYPE OVER THE MIDLAND/SOUTH DUAL NA DON'T THANK SO
WAIT UNTIL THE HHS/MIDLAND DUAL ***IT'S AT THE HILL***AND REMEMBER NO ONE COMES ON THE HIGHLANDER'S HILL AND KNOCKS THEM DOWN OR AROUND!!!!!!!!!!
TILLL NEXT TIME THIS IS BUFALLO BILL CODY WISHING THE HIGHLANDERS THE BEST OF LUCK IN THE UPCOMING SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!1

November 4, 1997
email: farrow1@marshall.edu
I agree that the power is starting to move down South. I think that HHS and Cabell Midland will battle it out with Fairmont Sr. or John Marshall for the state title. Although I do attend HHS I'm not trying to start anything, but I do believe that HHS has a better chance at winning the state than Midland. Look at the past few years HHS has always finished higher than Midland. However though the dual matches are always close between the both of us. Midland will be tough though, I do give them credit. They will be returning: LeMasters, Walters, Frazier, Coffey, Olson, Coffey II, and Nibert. Although I do disagree with the comment that we (HHS) only had seniors last year. We will be returning: Fullen, 5th in regionals, but in a lot better shape; Brooks, state qualifier, has got a lot tougher; Chirgwin, 6th state, proved that he has the potential to pull a rabbit out of the hat; Thorpe, after a disappointing academic failure I'll be back, 96 state runner-up, during the off season beat 4-time Kentucky state champ, Scott Rhodes,3-1, and 6th place state placer, Eric Frazier, 3-2; John Neal, 5th in regionals; Brian Cade; Jerry Singleton, 5th in state; Joey Blair, he's gonna be a surprise, some of you might think you're seeing doubles, you'll see what I mean; Josh Blair, state qualifier. These are a few of are great line-up for this year. But, we have a few surprises as does Midland, for example they have a tough 112lbs. from out of state. Well, now that you see a little bit of the South's power teams line-up how about another pre-season ranking? Also I think that 125 will be a tough weight class. If Gorby, and Flanigan goes up a weight-class, and Frazier stays there I think that any of us could end up with a state championship. How about a pre-season individual ranking for you so called wrestling, genius? Oh yeah, how's it going Buffalo Bill Cody, me and you know who were talking about you the other day, and he said hi.

November 1, 1997
email: rpcifteks@yahoo.com
Look for Eastern Panhandle wrestling to be strong this year. Jefferson is always a Regional Title contender and a top ten state finisher. Martinsburg looks to break through this year with a youthful, but expirenced lineup. Hedgesville is always full of surprises. Who knows what will happen when the Regional Tournament comes to the Panhandle?

November 1, 1997
comments: TRIVIA QUESTION:
Name the coach and wrestlers and the 2 schools:
He won a state title at one school under the same head coach, and later became this school's first state champion under the same coach. Who is the wrestler? and the coach? and the schools(2)? I asked this particular coach this question -- it even stumped him for a second till I told him. He thought it was a good trivia question!!!!!

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated November 13, 1997