West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- Forum

October 2000, Part 2

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

October 31, 2000
comments: Can someone give information on the Buckhannon Open Tournament? Such as start times divisions and weight classes. Thanks in advance.
Editor's note: Check the Youth/Open page....

October 31, 2000
comments: I'm writing in response to the person who asked what weight the good AA 215's and HvyWt's would be wrestling...think about your question for a minute there fella. I'd say chances are that the good AA 215's and HvyWt's are gonna be wrestling either 215 or HvyWt. And also i'd like to say that herbert hoover looks like it's gonna have a pretty strong team this year. They've got a lot of good solid talent coming back. If they perform well they maybe be a top 5 team this year.

October 31, 2000
comments: i've wrestled for 12 years. i've always shaken the other coaches hand. i've never had a problem with this. i've heard that the reason that this new rule was brought about was that the coaches were jerks to the kids. i've never seen that happen but any adult who would get that upset about a loss need not disgrace the mat ever again. the southern part of the state is starting to lose respect for the sport. in my area there used to be a power house. it was a youth team that high school coaches would love to see. discipline was high. but now when i step into at mat room all i see is chaos. there has always been high emotions at wrestling events its an intense sport. but recently i've seen adults come out of the stands ready to fight. i went to virginia and wrestled. there's nothing like it. everyone is the perfect image of respect and dignity. i can't say the same for here. i'm not disagreeing with the rule but having a need for the rule. doesn't this tell you something's very wrong??

October 31, 2000
comments: Better to have too much handshaking than not enough.
Better to give respect that get respect.
Better to show your gratitude than your attitude.
Let your performance speak for itself rather that speaking about your performance.

October 31, 2000
From Brent Sams
While surfing the net, I came across last years individual rankings by grade from USA Wrestling. I have captured West Virginia's individuals but have lost the site address. I will try to relocate the address and post later. Here are their rankings from last year.

USA WRESTLING 2000 NATIONAL RANKINGS
SENIORS
Anthony Regalbuto Hedgesville, WV State Champ 2x - 145 #12

JUNIORS
Matt Stevens Parkersburg, WV State Champ 2x - 119 #9
Matt Miller East Fairmont, WV State Champ 2x - 171 #5

SOPHOMORES
Nathan Pickens Parkersburg South, WV 2nd State - 152 #13
Chris Daggett Parkersburg South, WV State Champion - 160 #6
Jeff Courtney Fairmont Senior, WV 3rd State - 171 #13
Joe Caughey Oak Glen, WV State Champion - 275 #17

SENIORS
J.P. Stanley Cabell Midland, WV State Champion - 125 Honorable Mention
Ash Wenmoth Williamstown, WV State Champ 3x - 125 Honorable Mention
Matt Wehrle Herbert Hoover, WV State Champ 2x - 189 Honorable Mention
Joe Heath Greenbriar East, WV State Champ 2x - 275 Honorable Mention

Zack Zubay Oak Glen, WV State Champion - 103 Special Mention
Matt George Parkersburg, WV State Champ 2x - 125 Special Mention
Jason Hayhurst Ritchie County, WV State Champ 2x - 130 Special Mention
Mike Bosley Parkersburg South, WV 3rd State - 135 Special Mention
Joey Mayle Upshur, WV State Champion - 135 Special Mention
Jason Trusty Parkersburg, WV State Champion - 140 Special Mention
Brandon Williams Parkersburg, WV State Champion - 152 Special Mention

JUNIORS
Ash Gandee Ravenswood, WV State Champ 2x - 112 Honorable Mention
Justin Stanley Cabell Midland, WV State Champion - 112 Honorable Mention
Chris Johnson Nitro, WV State Champ '99 - 119 Honorable Mention
Eric Noel Oak Glen, WV State Champion - 130 Honorable Mention

Adam Schindler Ravenswood, WV State Champion - 145 Special Mention
Richard Stotler Berkeley Springs, WV 2nd State - 171 Special Mention
Joey Thomas Huntington, WV 2nd State - 171 Special Mention
Phillip Bellville Oak Glen, WV State Champion - 189 Special Mention
Matt Cuy Herbert Hoover, WV 2nd State - 275 Special Mention

SOPHOMORES
Jason Mays Huntington, WV 3rd State - 152 Honorable Mention
Derrick Stickles Oak Glen, WV State Champion - 160 Honorable Mention
Aaron Barnette Independence, WV State Champion - 171 Honorable Mention

Matt Bosley Parkersburg South, WV 3rd State - 112 Special Mention
Roger Kupfer Cameron, WV 3rd State - 130 Special Mention

FRESHMEN
Matt Easter Huntington, WV State Champion - 103 Honorable Mention

Chris Gibbs Cabell Midland, WV 5th State - 119 Special Mention

Congratulations to all the wrestlers.
Also, congratulations to Edison's new wrestling coach and old friend of mine, Randy Beatty. Randy is a former South wrestler and two time winner of the Wood County Jr. High Championship. Randy was also the first recipient of the Wood County Outstanding Wrestler Award. This is Randy's first stint as a Head Coach after many years of assistance.

October 31, 2000
comments: to wrestling fan
We will see about that. When the states come around point will be one of the top teams in the state.

October 31, 2000
comments: what is east fairmonts line up looking like this year???who will be where and where will miller be at??? i hope he has to face troy letters at brooke classic so we can see 2 state champs go at it. good luck miller and east this year

October 31, 2000
comments: I have read all of your excuses and reasons on why you don't want to come there or that you can come there and that was pretty lame. You said WVU does not look at kids that wrestle in WV Do WV wrestlers wrestle out of state. NOPE except eastern panhandle kids and some of Chertows old students. Thats it. About the cost of the club. I should not have to tell you because we sent out fliers and if you didn't take time to read it they you are not that serious about your wrestling. About playing other sports. Thats just another reason that most states like PA are better than WV is because they train year round and thats what gets you scholarships. WV is not that tuff of a state and if you don't beat top wrestlers from other states you don't get scholarships. You are gonna have to come up with some better excuses than that. Wel i can understand the money situation if it was a 100 dollars a week but guess what? it's on 10 so find a better excuse.

October 31, 2000
comments: east fairmont's wrestling team will be traveling to the univerist of north carolina this weekend to attend the camp down there. they will also be wrestling in a tournament later in the year that is the 16th toughest in the nation. many may not believe east has a chance at states but they have a real tough schedule and it will pay off when they go to huntington this year

October 31, 2000
comments: To Tucker Brown...I do not mean to offend you please accept my apologies. I was a little mistaken on your weight..an honest mistake. I heard that when you went to the Clarion Wrestling Camp you were around 155 and haven't got any lighter since. Second you must admit you have a very strong line-up from 125-152 though a little unset at this time. I mean Tyler Hughes 125 Casey Hughes 130 DJ Yoders or Isaac Stewart at 135/140 Roger Kupfer 145 and Joel O'Neil 152..and it will be a tough one to crack. I am sure you can find somewhere to wrestle on this squad don't take what I am saying as criticism or condescending towards you. I am just letting the WV Wrestling patrons know what to expect from Cameron and as far as I know this is what the squad has. Thanks to you for understanding.
P.S. I also think that the Editor on here does a GREAT job and has set up an outstanding forum for us all. We should be greatful.

October 31, 2000
comments: I have been reading this site now for several months and it seems to me that everyone is missing the point of the sport. These kids give 150% to their sport. They give up their family time friend time and personal time just to be the very best on the mat they can be. Lets all cut them some slack and give praise to all of them. Sure there is only going to be 1 State Champ in each weight class. But everytime a kid gets on that mat and gives his all he comes off that mat a champ. I have learned in watching this sport that most of the bad remarks come from parents and fans not from the wrestlers themselves. I guess it shows who the adults really are here. To all the kids that work hard and do their very best I give them the champ. award for courage. They all have the same shot of ending up on that top step. Let us as parents set the example for them to do it with pride and great strength by not bad mouthing the couches officals or other wrestlers. As the old saying goes sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. Good Luck to you all and to The OG Bears get one for the thumb in 2001

October 31, 2000
comments: To: Panhandle Parent
I don't feel that eliminating shaking the opposing coaches hands will cause wrestling to fall in to the abyss of nonsportsmanship especially since (as I stated) most other states do not practice this behavior. Also have you ever counted all the handshaking that is done in one single dual meet. Count the handshaking that is done by the referees and coaches referees and wrestlers captains of each team before the match. Then count the handshakes before and after each individual wrestling match done by the wrestlers plus the handshaking done by wrestlers and both opposing and non-opposing coaches add in all the handshaking that is done at the end of the match and see what number you get. I came up with almost 320 handshakes for one dual meet consisting of only 14 wrestlers per team 2 coaches per team and 1 referee. Do the math yourself and see what you get. Now I don't think we are in dire straits as far as sportsmanship goes.

October 31, 2000
comments: I believe Ash Gandee finished 6th at 103 his freshman year. I think I am correct on this one. But I believe Ash wrestled 103 at around 93 pounds his frosh year so that is still a great tribute to his wrestling abilities.

October 31, 2000
comments: east fairmont's wrestling team will be traveling to the univerist of north carolina this weekend to attend the camp down there. they will also be wrestling in a tournament later in the year that is the 16th toughest in the nation. many may not believe east has a chance at states but they have a real tough schedule and it will pay off when they go to huntington this year

October 31, 2000
comments: To whoever said that no one from WV ever gets any money. What did Regalbuto get? A walk in the park? Come on! I am sure WVU will give money to who is worthy. I think Anthony Regalbuto was/is worthy of money. I doubt he even cares about it. He is wrestling for WVU and has a chance to become a college All American. Now that is a sweet story! Screw the money! Wrestling is wrestling. At WVU wrestling doesn't come easy. Neither does the money. It is a Division 1 wrestling school. There are some other local colleges that might be interested in anyone. Check out WLSC. Half of the states better wrestlers have went there. Also Waynesburg is bringing in some WV wrestlers. If you are worried about getting money to wrestle at a school you must not be that good!

October 31, 2000
comments: the coach will be the same one its been since the school opened COACH SPARKS. The jv coach will COACH HOLMES. The freshman coach will be COACH CICCOllela.
October 31, 2000
comments: Can anyone tell me at what weight all the good AA 189's 215's and heavyweights are wrestling? Raban(Rav)? Hollenback(Gra)? Peck(Clay)? Goodwin(BS)? Dillon(RW)? Moyer(Ind)? Karr(Wirt)? Delebrou(Will)? Hashman(St.M)? and so on. Any information would be appriciated. Thank You.

October 31, 2000
comments: hey ive been reading this page and it seems we are surrounded by a bunch of misinformed (humans) i really wish that people would get thier facts straight before getting on here and making themselves look stupid. for instance the genius that put phs always beats south i mean come on anyone that follows wrestling would know that. im not trying to dis anybody but i wish that people would figure out whats going on before they run their traps ans look like morons.

October 31, 2000
comments: i put a adress on here yesterday for a message board that i made adn i would appreciate it if you put it on here. that message board site is http://members3.boardhost.com/wvwrestling please post it this time it would be appreciated.

October 31, 2000
comments: My personal opinion on handshaking after each match especially shaking the coaches hand is this; what in the world seperates this sport from all of the rest. Why do we get on here one month before the season starts and stay on one month after it ends. Because we all love this sport! Football players play football when the season is over they are no longer football players; the same is to be said about baseball soccer and other sports. But wresling is a way of life for all of us who are involved. We live it and breath it day in and day out from the first minute we put on a singlet till the day we die. I wrestled in high school my children are wrestlers and hopefully some day my grandchildren will be wrestlers. It is a sport that demands respect and a sport where you give respect. You have no one to blame but yourself if you don't get it done. So if you are beaten you must give respect and acknowledge with humility that you were defeated to your opposition and his coach. To me this is a no brainer and the fact that it is being debated upsets me. Lets not fall into the abyss of non sportsmanship and hot dogging that is main stream sports. Let's keep our pride and dignity let's shake hands.

October 31, 2000
comments: does any one know where some of the good AA heavyweights and 215s are wrestling (weightwise)?

October 31, 2000
comments: Just want to clear up something I am WVWRESTLER not WV (space)Wrestler. I think Dr. Miller does an outstanding job!!!! He puts out the best wrestling web page in the country. Thanks Doc

October 30, 2000
comments: I have a few comments. First as far as handshaking goes most people may not know this but shaking the opposing coaches hand is fairly exclusive to West Virginia. I have talked to people from Maryland New Jersey and Pennsylvania and they say they never saw this before they came to WV. I feel that although hand shaking is good sportsmanship it has gotten to a point were it becomes redundant and unnecessary. A losing wrestler doesn't want to go shake an opposing coaches hand he has a hard enough time keeping his emotions under control. I think that if anything should be mandatory it should be shaking your own coaches hand. This is the man who trains and supports you show him some respect. Besides you shake the opposing coaches hand at the end of the match anyway.

Also to wv wrestler haven't you ever heard of biting the hand that feeds you. It shouldn't matter how much the editor of this website knows about wrestling. He does a tremendous service to WV wrestling and gives you a free forum to voice your opinions. If you can't do so respectfully and abide by the rules he sets forth then you don't deserve this privilege he has granted to you.

Next for the Parkersburg South fans your team is the best in the state and the support you show for your team is greater than any other I have seen for that I commend you. But there is a fine line between pride and bragging and an even finer line between bragging and gloating. Rembember modesty is very becoming of a champion because every champion knows that someday they won't be champion any longer. In the future when Parkersburg South eventually gets ousted do you want to suffer the jeers of your fellow wrestlers who endured your pompous statements or do you want to be respected and revered for your humility.

Finally for myself always remember that opinions are like armpits and everyone has a couple.

October 30, 2000
comments: to wrestling fan about your remarks about PHS always beating South are you talking about wrestling on this page or what. PHS is a good team but it has been a while since they have beat South so you need to clear that up with history okay buddy.

October 30, 2000
comments: To whoever said that PHS is always beating South the only sport that is happening in lately is in Football. Oh yeah and "buts" is spelled with two t's sorry but good call.

October 30, 2000
comments: If im not mistaking Ash Gandee won the state championship his sophomore and junior year. Where was he his freshmen year. What did he get and who beat him?

October 30, 2000
comments: to who wrote that metz never placed in the state yet . he placed last year at 119 in 2000. who ever wrote that must not have watched. PHS as got defeated last year by SOUTH and it will happen agin. And when people say SOUTH brag to much they got the write to . just wait until the season start's you will see who's on top agin. you guy's will see how there team will be this year. Good Luck South WRESTLERS.

October 30, 2000
comments: YES IM BACK A FEW COMMENTS BACK TO YOU GUYS WHETHER U WANT TO ADMIT IT OR NOT WRESTLING IS AN INDIVIDUAL SPORTS IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN IT ALWAYS WILL BE THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY I MEAN U DONT TAKE UR HOME TEAM WITH U WHEN U GO TO COLLEGE TO WRESTLE DO U? NOPE I DIDNT THINK SO THERE IS NO I IN TEAM BUT THERE IS A ME. HAHA

October 30, 2000
comments: anyone heard who is going to be the Midland Coach?

October 30, 2000
comments: The Buckhannon Preseason is only a week away we have entries from all over the state Virginia and Pennsylvania yet I havent heard from the group from Independence South or Cameron. I know you all usually just walk in but Id love to hear from ya. If you are coming let me know so I can let everyone that is calling know.

The comments from ra about the Mountaineer Wrestling Club is right on it is an excellent opportunity that only a few WV wrestlers are taking advantage of. It is an hour drive from Buckhannon which I make every sunday only to see a group of PA wrestlers (which isnt necessarily a bad thing) but would love to see more WV participation.

October 30, 2000
comments: comments to ra: Wow you seem to have the West Virginia wrestlers all figured out. I just dont see how you can know how hard our wrestlers are working in preperation for the 2000-2001 season. I can speak for the local high school wrestlers of my area. They are working 5 to 6 days a week they alternate from lifting to working out on the mat from day to day. Our wrestlers dont have to go to WVU to "work hard." I know that in Pennsylvania the colleges have clinic's for the high school coaches. The high school coaches are instructed as what they should teach and how they should run their practices. They are also exposed to new inovations on the mat. This has transpired for years. Now I ask you ra; Where has WVU been for the past 30 years? Why should our wrestlers run down there now anyhow? As far as your comment about our wrestlers not being able to compete with most other states that is ridiculous! If you look at the results of the Brooke tournament from over the years WV wrestlers have fared well against some of Pennsylvania's elite. In my opinion Pennsylvania is the best state in this country for high school wrestling. To say we dont stack up to PA is one thing -- we simply don't. However when you say that our wrestlers can't compete with most other states .. (I disagree with).......

October 30, 2000
comments: I can see why you are worked up here but you have to take some things in consideration 1. Morgantown is not centrally located at all in WV and some kids parent will not drive or let them drive 2 3 or some people 4 hours just for a 2 hour practice and it costs however much for the practices so you could be wasting almost 100 dollars a week on this camp. 2. Some kids play other sports and coaches will not let them go because they dont want to risk injuries and 3. some kids jsut plain out cant aford it or get transportation so dont just blame it on the kids there are alot of reasons why they cant go.

October 30, 2000
comments: why would anybody want to go work with wvu when u know they wont look at you after high school. they never give money to in state kids. unless you win 4 state titles. so that why know one goes to work out there. MAYBE WVU SHOULD WAKE UP

October 30, 2000
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: Doc Miller does a great job as editor of this web site. He often takes a lot of smutt off of the web site and maintains the site as a labor of love and not for finicial gain. The WV werstling web site is second to none as far as I can tell in regards to state schoolastic wrestling web sites. Keep up the great work!!!

October 30, 2000
comments: I dont see how one person can take a school such as South and compair its wrestlers I mean its kinda like degrading your hertiage The past is the past and will always be the past you should be more concerend about today.

October 30, 2000
email: nat8896@yahoo.com
comments: Can someone explain THE NATIONAL FEDERATION rules on stalling please? So I can see the difference from the way the rules was last year.

October 30, 2000
comments: I agree with WV WRESTLER about South bragging all the time and in my point of view. You prove it on the mat first then you can brag not the other way around.

October 30, 2000
comments: IN ANSWER TO YOUR INQUIRY ON 10-29. ASH GANDEE CURRENTLY WEIGHS 116 AND MOST LIKELY WILL BE AT 112 AGAIN THIS YEAR.

October 30, 2000
comments: I think some PPHS wrestlers are jumping the gun a little bit. From what I heard no one exactly knows where they are wrestling at the present time and there are lots of state champions on this team and you might eat your words going undefeated. We will just have to wait and see who or anyone does. Not being on the team I can see a lot of wrestle offs for the freshman to have to win because all there juniors seniors are the best and see alot of them going far.

October 30, 2000
comments: Blennerhasset 145 makes a strong case for handshaking and sportsmanship. Having said that it is difficult for me as a parent to watch my son shake the hand of an adult coach on occasions when he is not acting like an adult -- jumping up and down at a meet because his wrestler just beat another While there can be no high school wrestling without coaches, the two most important people on that mat are the wrestlers. Let's not destroy the dignity of the defeated wrestler by inappropriate shows of celebration from a coach. Granted there aren't that many of them out there but the few who choose to celebrate inappropriately insult both young men on the mat. Professional athletes are fined for inappropriate hotdogging. Why do coaches get to do it?

October 29, 2000
comments: I just wanted to know why WVU is running a wrestling club with Zeke Jones Cary Kolat and Sam Kline and hardly any west virginia wrestlers are there. I'm there just about every Sunday and never see any of the top wrestlers in the state there. I wish they had that club when i was in HS. You guys just don't know how lucky you are to have something like that but your luck will run out in the state tournament when you don't get to stand on top of that podium and your saying to your self i wish i worked harder. I now know why West Virginia as a whole can't compete against most of the other states because they are trapped in their on little worlds and refuse to work harder. I'm just tired of hearing all this talk about WV cant compete against other states because we i think we really could but not now. There is more PA kids there and it is in WV. WAKE UP

October 29, 2000
comments: just wanted to know what your problem is. I send some information to you all the time and all you do is edit. I dont' lie i just tell the truth about west virginia wrestlers. there jsut not that good and thats the truth. and im tired of all the talk about south. how about you start editing there stuff. all that is on there is Parkersburg S. this and that. I'm tired of it. Quit being a bitch and quit editing my sh*t on the forum. I know so much more about wrestling than you will ever know so just ease up alittle and let people say what they want. This forum isn't for kids under 13 its for everybody and you need to think about that.
Editor's note: I don't know which post deletion you are upset about. Generally, I delete derogatory remarks directed toward individual wrestlers and teams, but sometimes some stuff still gets by me. True, there is lots of bragging going on here, and much from the South fans. But, with due respect to the South fans, that's just what it is - bragging. Seldom do those brags include derogatory remarks directed to other specific teams or wrestlers. Except here recently the South fans seem to be on the topic of comparing one of their championship teams of recent years to another and seem to be comparing their own wrestlers, which, I suppose, if that's what they want to do thats their own business....

Anyway, it is a fact of life that to the winner goes the bragging rights.

October 29, 2000
comments: I dont know how easy South is planning on being ranked in the top 20 but all i know is that they are going to have a tough time beating Fairmont Senior.

October 29, 2000
comments: New WV High School Wrestling Message Board:
http://boards.rivals.com/default.asp?sid=804&p=16&forumid=2696

October 29, 2000
comments: I see all the talk about South having the best team they have ever had. It maybe true. I don't know. I know that the person who used all caps. Is right. I know when you put a comment about South that they are going to eat your head off but you are right. I mean they have had some really great teams and i mean great teams but they have never been known for great wrestlers and they probably never will but they will always have good top quality wrestlers that will do good at the state tournament. You really can't compete against them they are just to good all around. But life doesn't end in HS and most of the wrestling careers for south wrestlers does. But if you are going to talk about how good their team is you cant but you can talk about how good their kids really are. But your just gonna have to stay away from the team thing.

October 29, 2000
comments: To whoever is saying i am not going to be able to "break into Camerons line up this year" you are wrong for one i don't weigh 155-160 i weigh from 145-150 everyday eating as much as i want. and even if i couldn't make it at 160 or 152 i would do anything to start so if i would have to go to 130 or 135 i would. Not trying to be rude but i will be in Camerons line-up this year.

October 29, 2000
email: Roaddog_69_98@yahoo.com
comments: If anyone has any info on the schedueles of the Region IV teams this year email me. Also if you have the lineups for the Region IV teams it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
TigerWrestler189

October 29, 2000
comments: 2001 line up will be one of the very best!!!!!
103- Shane Grogg -Soph
112- Ray Munson -Jr
119- Ryan Metz -Jr.
125- Matt Bosley -Jr.
130- Bryce Pickens -Soph.
135- John Duncan -Senior
140- JJ Smitt -Senior
145- Sonny Dye -Jr
152- Nathan Pickens -Jr
160- Chris Daggett - Jr
171- Casey Daggett -Senior
189- Justin Sleeth -Senior
215- Aaron mccartney -Senior
HW- Wes Young -soph.

This is a strong team that will be able to stack up to any team out there and this group of boys will be the ones claiming the state trophy in Huntington this Feb.

October 29, 2000
I was wondering where I would find the listed weight classes for a middle school?

October 29, 2000
comments: 1995 Park South wrestling was just nuts. That team was unreal. 1995 was unreal. Wrestling then compared to wrestling now is like saying dominate compared to mediocre. You don't see talent like that being mediocre at best. Top to bottom that was a solid lineup. First off Dustin Collins was a runner up that season to Paul Richardson of Nitro. At 112 Chad Smith was just top notch beating Buddy Butcher who beat was the Region 1 Champion that season. At 119 Zach Hasse was not touched. He finished the season 20-0. He was also a wrestler at the University of Pitt. At 125 Justin Mulenix had a great high school career. Justin placed 5-2-3 in his high school time. Metz has yet to place at the state tournament and they have him picked to win. At 130 Chad Walters finished second. The next two seasons he finished third. Bosley is a good wrestler but he is no Chad Walters. We can give 135 to Duncan but honestly Goff would give him a match. At 140 Heath Greathouse finished with back to back seasons at second. A year before all of this he placed fifth. He lost to Cliff Ward and Steve Rader. That isn't something to be ashamed of. At 145 Bobby Roberts was solid. That pick was right. At 152 Bobby Morris won a state title. Heck I can still remember seeing his picture in the USA Wrestling Magazine. Dagget is a very good wrestler with a lot of heart and I have a great deal of respect for him but Bobby Morris was in a class of his own. At 160 Jason Duncan lost a close match in the finals to a well remembered wrestler Mike Viani. I am sure a lot of 95' watchers remember that match. Duncan was a very talented never say die wrestler. Nathen Pickens is a Pickens and that is a family of wrestling. I am sure that would be a decent match. At 171 I am sure a lot of people remember Kevin Wigal coming off the JV team after the starter fell to injury to finish second at the state tournament. That was just a team that had no weak spots. If one went down another would be there to keep the pace but that is just South Wrestling. At 189 Jeremy Crites. He finished second to an eventual two time state champ Robert Davidson. Davidson also finished third a year before he won two titles. I don't understand the 215 prediction. Mike Sharpe was an All American wasn't he? Aaron McCartney has yet to gain that respect. At 275 I am sure all Hwt wrestlers from the past will agree. It isn't what it used to be. Williams would beat Sleeth. Who is he anyhow? Last years Hwt didn't even place for South. Honestly West Virginia wrestling was in it's best times. There wasn't any gives at any weights. All schools had very decent programs. It was a tough time and I am sure wrestlers will agree.

October 29, 2000
comments: Does anyone know what weight class Ash Gandy is going to wrestle this year?

October 29, 2000
email: JasonHayhurst@hotmail.com
comments: why is adam shindler wrestling for ripley this year? if so i think it will be a good move for him so he can get some challenge MAYBE in the practice room. i also think that he is good enough to win states in aaa if he stays in better shape then he did last year.
good luck ritchie rebels.

October 29, 2000
comments: Ok I have a comment to parent. Get over it I wrestle and when your out on the mat your not thinking about shaking the coaches hand at the end. You are thinking i am gonna win this match. My coaches (Porter Boys!)lol expect me to shake the other coaches hand in respect for his wrestler whether or not I won or lost the match. In football at the end of a game we line up and shake the other teams hand and say good game we also shake the coaches hand. It is called good sportsmanship.Every sport that i have ever been in you shake your opponents hand by the end of the night.

October 29, 2000
comments: The Point Pleasant team is going all the way no one can stop them. Bonecutter will go undefeated and wrap up the state title for the 145 class. They should have at least 12 state qualifiers and 3 state champs. (Bonecutter Duncan Russel)

October 29, 2000
comments: Dave Bonecutter is going to be a good addition to the Point Pleasant wreslting team. He sweep the Mason County open and took home first. He will have to wrestle off his older brother John (Flash) Bonecutter for 145 or go down to face Herman (Buttchin) Warner. I think he will do good and get a starting place.

October 29, 2000
comments: To:South
Why is south always runnin there mouths about how good they are but the big reds always kicks there buts.

October 29, 2000
comments: I thought the four unsportsmanlike penalties sounded a little askew but I was just reporting what the Charleston newspaper had to say.
I regards to the comments by the parent often times words of encouragement offered by the opposing coach after a tournament match can be very helpful. This often occurs as I can attest to. At WSAZ one year my son was making a fundamental mistake in securing his cross face cradle. When he went to shake the hand of a coach from a rival school after a narrow 3-2 defeat in Middle school the other coach pointed out him what he was doing wrong. He corrected the error and won out to place third. It is very evident that you are concerned with the welfare of "YOUR SON". If I were his coach I would be also but if I can help out another wrestler who will not face mine again in a tournament I will do so. As a long time coach I can never think of a time when a 5 second handshake distracted from "Pre match instructions". Please try to see that we are not wanting everyone to fell all warm and fuzzy but just to maintain the dignity that sets our sport apart from many of the others. I have never heard an opposing coach say anthing other than positive comments to a kid at the handshake except once. My kids have never told me that this has occurred with the one exception and that was when a coach was more upset about a controversial call by an official thatn with us. All coaches have different philosopies but as for me - I will shake any kids hand that offers. To refuse to do so because of "pre-match instructions" would in my opinion make me less of a coach and a man in general. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I just hope no coach refuses to shake "YOUR SON'S" hand if "YOUR SON" wishes to offer to do so. Let's let this subject die a graceful death and move on to more important concerns. Thanks for the dissenting opinion - although I do not agree. That's what this forum is all about.

October 29, 2000
comments: To Parent.........Re: Hanshaking
Although your points are well taken I'll tell you why I ALWAYS had my wrestlers shake hands. It's called sportsmanship. In a society where we are seeing less and less of of humility sportsmanship etc... I think it is wonderful that in this sport you ahve the opportunity to do this. Wrestling is not like baketball football and so on. It is a unique sport. It is a sport where when the match is over kids can talk and be friends. I for one hope they never change the rule. They did it once and it was a mistake. Let's not change it again.

October 26, 2000
From: Nutter South fan (we're coming out of the wood work)
comments: To GATEKEEPER
Yes this year’s South team has the potential to be better than the 95 team. Our expectations are high and a higher national ranking than 20th that the 95 team achieved is a possibility. Just so you have the facts neither Shank brother wrestled on the 95 team. Adam Shank was a freshman at Blennerhassett and Robbie sat out his sophomore season for personal reasons. Mike Sharpe was riding the pine in 95 because there was no 215 pound class that year. To compare this year’s team to 95 I would give the advantage to the 2001 team. Here are my comparisons between the two teams.

103 – 01 Grogg soph. over 95 Collins soph.
112 – 95 Smith sr. over 01 Munson jr.
119 – 95 Hasse soph. over ?
125 – 01 Metz jr. over 95 Mullenix jr.
130 – 01 Bosley jr. over 95 Walters soph.
135 – 01 Duncan sr. over 95 Goff sr.
140 – 01 Schmidt sr. over 95 Greathouse jr.
145 – 95 Roberts sr. over 01 Pickens jr.
152 – 01 Daggett sr. over 95 Morris sr.
160 – 01 Pickens jr. over 95 Duncan sr.
171 – 01 Daggett jr. over 95 Camp sr.
189 – 95 Crites sr. over 01 Carpenter soph.
275 – 01 Sleeth sr. over 95 Williams jr.

And if you want to throw in sophomore Mike Sharpe at 215 I would give the advantage to senior Aaron McCartney. Maybe I’m wrong on some of my matchups and who knows who will be at what weight this year. But if someone wants to label this year’s South team as the school’s best ever I would say they have a pretty good argument. Now this is where it gets good and why they go ahead and wrestle the season and tournaments. This year’s South team is not invincible. I think there are several teams around the state that have a shot at upsetting this South team. I would say the competition is better this year than it was in 95. So lets unroll the mats and let the wrestling begin. Good luck to all.

(P.S. a warning to the City of Huntington your civic center may not be big enough to hold all the South wrestling fans this year.)

October 26, 2000
comments: My two cents on the handshaking. Before a dual meet starts, there is often team introductions and the wrestlers shake hands. Then they shake before each individual match, and at the conclusion of the individual match. Then the teams often line up and shake at the close of the dual. Throw in shaking the coaches hand at the end of each individual match and you are up to 5 handshakes per event. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

When the wrestler wins his individual match he scores points for his team but the event is not over. There is still some Coaching duties which must be performed. In football, when someone scores a touchdown, does he run over to the opposing bench and shake the coaches hand? Does the basketball player shake someone's hand everytime he scores a basket? The young man loses a match, and fans expect him to immediately go shake the opposing coaches hand. In football, if a quarterback throws an interception and it is run back for a touchdown, does he go shake the opposing coaches hand?

As a parent, I expect my son to conduct himself by the rules and in a sportsmanlike manner. But when he gets whipped, for goodness sake why can't he be allowed to just shake his opponent's hand as per the rule book, and then just go back to sit with his team to lick his wounds? I also expect my son's Coach to be focusing 100% on coaching MY SON and giving 100% of his attention to MY SON'S TEAM - and not be distracted by all the handshaking and worrying about what everyone will think if he is busy with last minute instructions for the next match instead of shaking hands. The Coach should be coaching during the dual or tournament and take care of public relations after the event is over. After the meet is over, then sure - handshakes all around.

But that's just my opinion.

October 26, 2000
comments: Who is the top Junior high/Middle schools this year?

October 26, 2000
comments: Adam Schindler is wrestling for Ripley this year not Ravenswood.

October 26, 2000
comments: I think everybody is overlooking Justin Ashley from Wirt (103)to be state champ or right in there in the top. If he's still not injured

October 26, 2000
comments: To the person who asked about Tucker Brown..he is weighing a hefty 155 right now and is attempting to break into a STACKED middle weight line-up and may only make it at 160. It is very possible this returning state runner-up may not be able to break the line-up at Cameron..and to answer your intuition I am from Cameron.

October 26, 2000
comments: Jim
You cant have four unsportsman like penalties in a football game. After the second you are kicked out for the rest of the game and the next game also.

October 25, 2000
email: wrestlinghhs@yahoo.com
comments: not sure if anyone has posted it? but brandon slay is the 167½ Freestyle Olympic Gold Medalist.
more from espn.com got to these articles:
http://espn.go.com/oly/index.html
http://espn.go.com/oly/summer00/news/2000/1023/833843.html

October 25, 2000
comments: Hedgesville will be tough again this year. they will score more points with moats lord and Hess. they also have a good group of freshman coming up. Here is what i think the lineup will be.

103- Cobby Foster
112- Kevin Ballam
119- Jason Drapo
125- open
130- Jared Hess
135- Brad Ammons
140- Danny Lord
145- Justin Snyder
152- Brian Moats
160- Andrew Everhart
171- Johnny Dunham
189- Jason Baker
215- Chuck Files
Hwt.- Open
I dont know who will wrestle the 125 and hwt. spots but we will have somebody. We are all looking forward to the season. It will be great.

October 25, 2000
comments: Hedgesville should be looking good this year as they only lost 3 seniors. I hate to get in this speculation business before the first practice but why not everybody else does. So here goes:

103 Coby Foster (Freshman who came up through Berkeley Bears program)
112 Kevin Ballum
119 Jason Drappo
125 TBA
130 Jared Hess
135 Danny Lord
140 TBA
145 Bryan Moats
152 Justin Snyder
160 Andrew Everhart
171 John Dunham
189 Jason Baker
215 Chuck Files
275 Josh Jones

October 25, 2000
email: wvmatman@hotmail.com comments: The Middle Alantic Western District Wrestling Tournament will be held at Parkersburg South High School on March 17.The top 3 fin ishers will advance to the Regional wrestling tournament at Millersville University on April 7&8. The top 3 wrestlers will then advance to the All Area Finals at East Stroudsburg University April 20 & 21. I should have the tournament fourms sometime the first of December. The ages are from 8-U to Open divisions.

October 25, 2000
comments: Morgantown High School should be in the top 3 of the NCAC. They have10 starters returning. They have Jared Garvin (103) and Mike DeVault (130) coming up. They also have Lucas Cappas who will contend for the 103 or 112 title.

October 25, 2000
comments: TO THE PERSON WITH ALL CAPITOL LETTERS. Okay I see that you don't pay enough attention. See when you were saying that because South doesn't have that many State individual champions that they aren't a very good all around "TEAM". Obviously you were not looking at the number of people that South actually takes to state. Also you were not looking at the spelling of team because if you were (this is old but good) there is no stinking I in team what are you thinking. We may not have that many individual state champions but we are good. We have a good team and the team stays together no 1 left behind. Sorry buddy but that is just the way it is team I still don't see an I in it but if you find one let me know.

comments: oh yeah on another note to the guy with ALL CAPITOL LETTERS. You don't always have to be a champion to be a GREAT TEAM.

October 25, 2000
comments: We would just like to say Thanks to Marvin Pickens for all he has done. Coach Pickens has been involved in the wrestling program for the past 13 years. The first 9 with the parkersburg south peewee program and the past 4 with Edison Jr High. A coach that puts that kind of time and effort into his wrestlers cannot be replaced. Thanks a lot Coach Pickens. We hope to see you up at the High School this year. Good Luck South!!!

October 25, 2000
comments: To the nitro fan Bonecutter has slimed down and is at 150 right now he will wrestle 145 this year

October 25, 2000
comments: Stephens will be wrestling 130 this year.(State Champ)

October 25, 2000
comments: Rumor has it ...... This place seems to have all the answers what do you hear?
Editor's note: To answer your question, I have no information and would prefer not to speculate.

October 25, 2000
comments: I know the intent of the new rule not to shake hands. The rule is not ment to show unsportsmanship but to control explosive situations. When wrestlers come to opposing coaches after a match not the "meet". Most "problems" occure in close matches when wrestlers who have been beaten are forced by their coach to shake hands with the other coach.The rule still allows coaches to shake hands after the meet just not after each individual match. For God shake we are the most sportsmanship sport on earth...we shake hands before the match...after the match... after the meet...The sport has it's origins in the acient times when they killed each other... I think we've made enough strides forward in sportsmanship. I know it's the "new millineun" but the next thing people will want us to hold hands and hug each other...Enough is enough lets make sure wrestling stays a combative sport.

October 25, 2000
comments: Gatekeeper:South's 1995 team which placed 11 wrestlers either 1st or second was a great team. We may never see a school do that again.However one must also look at the competition that year and make calculated guesses as to the strength of the opposition.I think it was "down" that year.This years South team has all the ingredients from 103 to 275 to be the best South team ever.Period !If you are not a South fan you surely couldn't recognize this.I have followed South wrestling since I was a sophmore in South's first year 1968.I also realize that their are injury and academic failure that play a part in a team's success.Your comment that the quality of wrestling or wrestlers may be down is a good one. I guess it is hard to compare today's athelete with yesterdays simply based on competition and the fact that todays wrestler wrestles about twice as many matches as they did some 20 years ago.I will agree that some years a few weight classes seem to be weaker than in the past but some are tougher too.Good question though ! Gatekeeper-I think all us wrestling fans can look forward to some great individual and dual matches this season and if you want to see a good one-please make the journey to New Cumberland WV on Jan.6 2001 and witness South/Oak Glen.But I might warn you-don't tell those kids the competition is down a bit!!Thanks and a good day back at ya!

October 25, 2000
comments: I was just wondering if someone could post the dates for the Winner's Choice Tournament in Fairmont. Thanks.

October 25, 2000
comments: How do you have tucker brown wrestling 140 or 160???? i know he wont be at 160 but maybe 140?? and im just guessing but are you from cameron????

October 25, 2000
comments: What wrestlers are going to compete in the WVU open from WV and what weight.

October 23, 2000
comments: to: south wreslting fan
I send my appologies to you sir/madam. I did not intend to upset you with my comments as I apparently did. I simply mistook your comment "their best team ever." I thought you meant that this season south has better wrestlers than they ever have in the past hence "best team ever." How foolish of me. You are very keen to notice that you struck a nerve with these comments. I happen to believe that the quality of wrestling is down in the state of West Virginia from it's lofty hieghts of years past. If you would reply to my comments just once more I am interested to see if you would agree or disagree with me on that. I do not mean to put down the wrestlers of today. Their are obviously many excellent wrestlers to watch in the upcoming season. I feel that the number of excellent wrestlers is down. I suppose one could say that we as a state are simply not as deep as we have been. Good day.

October 23, 2000
comments: In response to Old Coach's comments I hope we can work out the exhibitions at tournaments etc. much as we do with the 190 lbs class. In regards to shaking hands I also made the point at the rules clinic that it was part of the class that separates our sport from the type of immature and dangerous trash such as the brawl that ended Friday night's game between Hoover and South Charleston. I read where the player who started that fight had already had 4 (Count 'em FOUR!) unsportsmanlike calls in the game before the fight started. Trash talking runs rampant in basketball as well. Wrestling is about the last gasp so far as honor and sportsmanship is concerned. I may be old but I'm certainly confused! On the one hand they tell us to promote sportsmanship and are even having the refs talk to the captains about it and then turn around and tell us we can't shake hands. Could these be the same wise men who eliminated the 75 and 83 lb classes? My suggestion to circumvent this rule is simple. They said we can't shake on the mat. Then just step off of it first. I brought this up and Dr. Welker and Mr. Trembush both said it was OK to shake after the match if the coach and the contestants have left the mat. I suggest that in our seeding meetings we bring this up and have the coaches who wish to shake just step off the mat and wait for those wrestlers who wish to shake come to us. This way we don't break rules and still maintain an important and vital tradition. I would hate to think that there are coaches that would refuse the shake although I am sure there are. Following the above suggestion any coach who wishes to make an ass out of himself by refusing to shake would at least not be on public display on the mat. Any wrestler who is too upset or not self - disciplined enough to offer the shake would not be forced too. I have never been penalized or ejected from a match but if a ref takes a penalty point because one of my kids offers to shake hands (win or lose) with the opposing coach I'm afraid my quiet and reserved demeanor might get a little bit hyper! Come on coaches let's keep the handshake our sport deserves it and our sportsmanship demands it!

October 23, 2000
email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: I read "Old Coach's commentary" and I also talked to two other coaches about the middle school/junior high weight class change. "Old Coach" tells me that I am beating a dead horse because the weight class change is etched in stone for this year. I will concede to whatever the WVSSAC has proposed since I've been one of their strongest supporters in years past. I have been coaching middle school high school and college cheerleading cross country track and field and wrestling since 1975. When I stand up at my rules clinic on Tuesday Oct. 24 I can say I'm talking from experience so - please listen to me. I have supported the WVSSAC through Bill Hanlin Jim Hamrick Warren Carder and now Mike Hayden. I disagree with the weight class change. As if you didn't know. I also have another beef. Why are you (WVSSAC) telling me that I as a coach have to tell my kids that they cannot shake the hand of an opposing coach. I have stressed for the last two years - grades and sportsmanship. Shaking hands is something that my team now does automatically. But it's not a problem coaches my team will still shake hands if they have to chase you down in the stands to do it. I will always be supportive' of the WVSSAC in most issues but I think the weight class rule is wrong I feel that we need a middle school/junior high person on the wrestling board and MY KIDS WILL SHAKE THE HAND OF THE OPPOSING COACH and I'll teach this within the WVSSAC guidelines.

October 23, 2000
comments: OK OK EVERYONE KNOWS SOUTH IS GONNA BE GOOD AGAIN BUT HOW GOOD ARE THEY REALLY I MEAN THERE A DEEP TEAM BUT COME ON THEY HARDLY EVER HAVE ANY STATE CHAMPS LAST YEAR THEY HAD 2 WOW FOR WINNING THE STATE BY SO MUCH THEY SURE DIDNT DO IT BY WINNING WITH CHAMPS IT SAD TO SEE THIS SUPPOSEBLY "BEST TEAM EVER" WIN AND NOT HARDLY HAVE ANY STATE CHAMPS IM SORRY BUT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GOOD TEAM AND A GREAT TEAM IS HAVING SOMEONE STEP UP AND WINNING THATS WHY THERE ARE A GOOD TEAM NOT A GREAT TEAM THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY

October 23, 2000
email: wvmatman@hotmail.com
comments: This years Middle Alantic District Tournament is scheduled for March 17th at Parkersburg. This could possibly change but i should know for sure within the next week. I will have it posted on the Tournament fourm within the next couple of weeks i hope. Last years tournament went well with alot of challange matches that was very exciting at the end of the tournament . Plans are the same this year. We have wrestled in the Tulsa Nationals and the World Folkstyle tournaments that have usually had around 3 to 4 thousand kids. The Middle Alantic Tournament is the strongest tournament each year . With all the districts there are usually from 13 thousand to as many as 20 thousand each year. There are alot of very good High school wrestlers at this tournament each year.

October 23, 2000
comments: Matt Smith is a junior this year. Sorry for the misinformation on the article I i wrote on Sophmores to watch. A very good freshman to keep an eye on is Nitro 103 Jacob Frerichs. October 23, 2000
comments: Cougar Invitational (JJWA) is November 11th.

October 23, 2000
comments: Is Tyler Westbrooke going to wrestle 135 again this year???

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated April 6, 1997