West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- April, 1997 Forum

Weeks One and Two

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

April 10, 1997 -- from tp in morgantown
I am looking for anyone who may have a video of the WV State Tournament. I am looking in particular for anyone who has video of the final match on Friday morning between Morgantown's heavyweight Padovini and Woodrow Wilson's heavyweight Sarrat. I would like to get a copy. Can call 304-291-3278. Thanks.

April 10, 1997 -- from Cross Face
I am glad some of the Clarksburg Youth Championships were published. The team results indicate a good representation from around the state - Northern Panhandle, South, Eastern Panhandle. Will the full results be published? Where will the State championships be held next year. It was my understanding that Clarksburg would not host it, so that other could get the opportunity. I also liked their idea of sharing some of the revenues with the club that will host the tournament the following year and scholarships for the outstanding wrestlers. This is the kind of innovation that will spread interest in the sport throughout the stae.

April 9, 1997 -- from the Editor:
We have had a few general inquires concerning youth wrestling programs: Organization, fund raising, recruiting athletes, recruiting coaches, etc. What factors lead to a successful program? Advice on organizing a program or building up an existing program. Anyone care to share some insights?

April 9, 1997 -- from halfnelson
I would like to congratulate all of the young men who represented WV at the National High School Wrestling Championships. Unfortunately, as has been stated already, the WV contingent is at a slight conditioning disadvantage. This is, in part, due to our season being shorter than many of the other states. Some of the states are able to get their contingent together for practice sessions as well. This would help, but would be very difficult due to the geography of the state. I want to also echo Ken Chertow's thoughts about spring and summer wrestling. I don't what percentage of the high school wrestlers in WV are working to improve themselves in the off-season, but I can insure there is no substitute. Most, if not all, of the all Americans crowned past weekend extend their wrestling season into the spring and summer. If we are to have more all Americans from WV wrestling is going to have to become a 6, 8 or 12 month sport.

April 8, 1997 -- from Cross Face
Congratulations to the 16 strong West Virginia contingent. I echo Ken Chertow's comments about off season work -- and I must say that as a group our folks looked a little gassed out there. I don't mean to disparage their efforts -- but Jackson SHOULD have been in the top four with a little more reserve. He wrestled fantastic -- but his clock management gave Gonshorowski the time to recover and eventually come back from behind for a 6-4 victory. Unfortunately -- we may lack the resources to convene a camp of the high school state finalists like California - but the benefits of working as a team are obvious when you see the improvements of states like Texas and others. They are making a conscious effort give their kids the opportunity to stay in shape beyond the state tournament. The tournament was great -- some fantastic wrestling -- for me the Sonny Marchette (Ohio) Quinn Foster (Blair Academy) final was one of the most exciting matches -- Foster eked out a 4-3 victory at the buzzer.

April 7, 1997 -- from EDJU GARKAVICH
ANYONE HAVE ANY PREDICTIONS ON TEAM AND INDIVIDUAL STATE CHAMPIONS NEXT YEAR?

April 6, 1997 -- from Ken Chertow
email: chertow@ianet.net

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE THREE WV BOYS WHO PLACED AT HIGH SCHOOL NATIONALS IN PITTSBURGH. MULDREW, JACKSON AND SHARPE TRULY WERE THREE OF OUR STATES MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLERS OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS. ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER MET MR SHARPE, I KNOW RYAN MULDREW AND JOHN JACKSON VERY WELL. THEY ARE A TESTIMONY TO MY COMMENTS IN THIS FORUM EARLIER IN THE WEEK ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF OFF SEASON TRAINING. I HAVE HAD THE PRIVILEGE OF TRAINING RYAN AND JOHN NUMEROUS TIMES OVER THE YEARS AT MY GOLD MEDAL TRAINING CAMP, SUPER GOLD TRAINING CAMP AND AT CAMP OF CHAMPS. I HAVE PERSONALLY WRESTLED THEM MANY, MANY TIMES AT THESE CAMPS DURING THE "OFF SEASON". THEY ARE VERY DEDICATED KIDS AND HAVE BEEN LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS TOURNAMENT SINCE WINNING THEIR FIRST STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS AS JUNIORS LAST YEAR. THEY HAVE PLANNED TO ATTEND AND TRAINED FOR THIS TOURNAMENT FOR A LONG TIME. BY PLACING IN NATIONALS, IT MAY CREATE SOME OPPORTUNITIES FOR THEM THAT THEY OTHERWISE MAY NOT HAVE HAD. HOPEFULLY THEY WILL MAKE A COMMITMENT TO EXCELLING AT THE COLLEGIATE LEVEL AND FIND SUCCESS. IT IS NO EASY ROAD TO THRIVE DURING COLLEGE BOTH ON THE MATS AND IN THE CLASSROOM. ONCE AGAIN REFERRING TO MY EARLIER FORUM ARTICLE, TO ACHIEVE LOFTY GOALS YOU FIRST MUST "ASPIRE" TO ACHIEVE THEM AND THEN WORK HARD THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE YEAR IN PURSUIT OF THEM. THESE BOYS HAVE DONE JUST THAT.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COACHES OF THESE ALL AMERICANS - SOUTH'S COACH PAUL JACKSON AND HIS OUTSTANDING STAFF, JOHN MARSHAL'S ED DUGAS, ED WEST AND TED ZERVOS AND JEFFERSON COUNTIES GARY WRATCHAFORD, SCOTT FORTNEY AND JASON WHITE. I KNOW THESE STAFFS HAVE BEEN VERY INSTRUMENTAL IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THESE THREE BOYS. SCOTT FORTNEY IS A CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE AND I KNOW HE HAS WRESTLED JOHN JACKSON HUNDREDS OF TIMES OVER THE YEARS AND SPENT ENDLESS HOURS HELPING HIM ACHIEVE HIS GOALS. I IMAGINE THE COMMITMENT OF SHARPE AND MULDREW'S COACHES IS SIMILAR. FINALLY, CONGRATULATIONS TO THE FAMILIES OF THESE YOUNG MEN. ALL YOUR SUPPORT AND COMMITMENT TO HELPING YOUR SON EXCEL OVER THE YEARS WAS UNDOUBTEDLY ESSENTIAL IN HELPING HIM REALIZE HIS DREAMS.
KEN CHERTOW

April 3, 1997 -- from BUFFALO BILL CODY
WHEN PEOPLE TALK ABOUT HOW GREAT ONE STATE IS TO ANOTHER LIKE THE CONSTANT OHIO V.S. W.V. BATTLE WEST VIRGINIA WRESTLING IS MAKING GREAT STRIDES. IF THE WRESTLERS EVER WAN'T TO GET BETTER THEY DO NEED OFF SEASON TRAINING!
I'VE BEEN LIVING IN FLORIDA FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND I ALWAYS COME AT LEAST FOR STATES! MOST WRESTLING BUFFS KNOW THAT BRANDON HIGH SCHOOL IN BRANDON FLORIDA BROKE THE NATIONAL DUAL MEET MARK FOR VICTORIES IN ANY SPORT. THAT IS A GREAT ACHIEVEMENT BUT THEY NEVER WRESTLE ANY OF THE TOP TEAMS IN THE COUNTRY LIKE STOW, ST.ED'S, BLAIRS TOWN ACCADEMY, P.SOUTH. FOR ONE REASON THEY ARE BOUND BY HILLSBROUGH COUNTY SCHEDULING! WHAT I'AM TRYING TO SAY TO THE PEOPLE THAT CRITICIZE THE GREAT WRESTLING IN W.V., MAYBE SOME OR A LOT OF TEAMS ARE BOUND BY COUNTY SCHEDULING RESTRICTIONS? GOOD LUCK TO ALL W.V. WRESTLERS IN THE OPEN TOURNAMENTS AND FORMER W.V. HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS IN COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!

April 2, 1997 -- from KEN CHERTOW
I am responding to sheets@marshall's question about WV kids lack of success in college.

There are numerous reasons. However, the #1 reason is that the kids do not wrestle in the spring and summer. To be prepared to earn a college scholarship coming out of our state, you must make a commitment to off season training and competition. Many of the WV athletes who I have trained regularly at my camps over the past years have gone on to college and done well... Mark Samples, Mike Mason, Rob Archer and Jay Michael are four boys who attended my summer camp annually from 7th grade through 12th. I also took these boys to numerous freestyle national tournaments. These boys trained hard on the mats and in the weight room throughout the year and ultimately earned scholarships at major Division I schools. All four young men have had or are having successful college careers. Mike Mason placed 7th at this years NCAA tournament and will be in the hunt for a championship next year.

This brings me to my next point. Too few WV wrestlers aspire to achieve greatness and to excel at the collegiate level. Every young wrestler in our state should go to the 1998 NCAA tournament in Cleveland next march. This will give you something to shoot for. One of the key motivational forces during my high school career was to earn a scholarship to a big time school. I set this goal after traveling to Oklahoma City following my sophomore year of high school to watch the NCAA tournament. It's hard to have lofty goals until you have a clue what it takes to excel at the highest levels of competition.

The kids wrestling in our state is very strong, but the kids don't seem to keep pace as they grow up. The high school coaches need to encourage more spring and summer wrestling and help their elite athlete get a better understanding of what it will take to excel at the collegiate level.

Another reason is simply opportunity. For example there are over 30 colleges with wrestling teams in Pennsylvania an over 12 in Ohio. Yet there are only two in WV. Not only do WV kids have fewer opportunities but they have less exposure to college wrestling, hence, less drive to do what it takes to cut the mustard in the college wrestling world. Our state is small. We are never going to have a bunch of kids excelling at the collegiate level, but certainly we should have more than we do now. All these reasons aside, it's hard for me to believe that Mike Mason and I are the only WV natives to ever earn NCAA Division 1 All American Honers. You kids and coaches need to make a bigger commitment to reaching the very highest of goals and get after it!

Good Luck on your quest for success! KEN CHERTOW

April 2, 1997 -- from KEN CHERTOW
My Olympian Wrestling School students did a great job at AAU Nationals in St Louis over Easter weekend. Twenty two of my most dedicated students made the trip and eighteen of them placed in the top 5.

Champions were Stephen Ferris 40 lbs 8 & under, Anthony Easter 55 lbs 12 & under, Mitch Smith 85 lbs 12 & under, Robbie Ripley 85 lbs 14 & under, Adam Schindler 95 lbs 14 & under, Chris Johnson 90 lbs 16 and under and Jason Ward 152 lbs 18 & under. Alex Reed, Cody Tyler and Justin Brown were 2nd place. Jared Walters,Seth Easter, Heath Graley and Dallas Nibert were 3rd. Justin Chapman and Jason Scott were 4th and Matt Easter and Chris Gibbs were 5th.

Also winning numerous matches but not placing were Jacob Frerichs, Jansen Arnold, Matt Smith and Derek Midkiff. Frerichs is a two time Junior State Champ, while Arnold and Midkiff were jr state runners up, yet they failed to place at nationals.

The competition in the younger age groups was very stiff. However, there are many tough West Virginia boys, both young and old, who would do really well at the national level if they were to continue trainig and competing in the spring. My students have been working all season to peak for this tournament. They come from all over the Huntington-Charleston area to train together at my gym 2-4 evenings per week throughout the year.That's why we had 7 champions and 18 placewinners, more than any other team there. The boys' hard work paid off last weekend.

Editors note: Congratulations are certainly in order for a proud coach and a group of dedicated athletes !

April 2, 1997 -- from fan
email: ssheets@marshall.edu
How do you account for the lack of success WV wrestlers face on the college and international scene when compared to that of Ohio?

April 2, 1997 -- from fan
email: ssheets@marshall.edu
I do not think that anyone has criticized South record but it was pointed out that it dominates its WV opponents but does not enjoy the same success when wrestling against some of Ohio's better teams; however this schedule prepares them very well for our state tornament, which can be seen year in and year out.

April 2, 1997 -- from halfnelson
I don't see how anyone could criticize Parkersburg South's record. The fact of the matter is that they wrestle the toughest schedule of any team in West Virginia. As one responder pointed out, this helps them prepare for our state tournament. Not many teams can afford the travel expenses they incure but as long as they can handle it I think it is wonderful. It also helps give some credibility to West Virginia wrestling.

April 2, 1997 -- from pony
email: emaynard@capital.edu
Ferret and to anyone one else who recently e-mailed-- send me your address again. I am just now figuring e mail out and I seemed to have lost everyones address.

J Ward--The team you talked about does wrestle a lot of teams from Ohio, but they are from southeast Ohio, where the wrestling may be weaker than most if not all of West Virginia.

April 1, 1997 -- from Lipps420@aol.com
I attended part of the AAU Nationals in St. Louis. Ken Chertow's Olympian Wrestling Team had numerous champions and boys who placed in the top six. Four of the boys were from Cabell-Midland (Jason Ward - 1st; Dallas Nibert -3rd, Jared Walters - 3rd and Justin Chapman - 4th).

I'm sure I will leave some of the other team members out, but I'll try........(5-12 yr group) Mitch Smith - 1st from Ravenswood; Anthony Easter - 1st, his brother, Matt Easter - 3rd, and their brother, Seth Easter - 5th, all from Putnam County; Robbie Ripley - 1st from Kanawha County; Adam Schindler - 1st from Jackson County; Heath Graley from Kanawha County (not sure of his placement) Other high school placers were Jason Scott - 4th of Capitol; Alex Reed of Point Pleasant placed either 2nd or 3rd;

April 1, 1997 -- from wreslfreak
email: wreslfreak@aol.com
In response to the Ohio/WV argument, yes Ohio does have superior teams, but in the individuals the two states are equivalent. For instance, Jason Scott of Capital (who got third place in WV) was upset in the conso finals by Richard Burns of Ohio (2nd in the state) in the AAU Nationals in St.Louis. I had an Ohio state qualifier in my bracket who had a quick trip to St. Louis (he won one, maybe two matches). However teams like St. Eds and Walsh Jesuit are definitely superior to our teams (they are superior to about every team in the nation). When matched up, state champions from Ohio are no better than the WV state champions. However, the competition is more fierce (differences between 1st and 6th in Ohio is a slim margin, unlike in WV). Still looking for some wrestlers who are willing to put some time in this summer (around 140-165 pounders). If you qualify, e-mail me at the above address.

April 1, 1997 -- from Cross Face
Some WV State finalists are taking the opportunity to test their mettle with others at the national High School Championships in Pittsburgh. I am looking forward to seeing how our boys do.

April 1, 1997 -- from cougar4ever
email: Berry@citynet.net
comments: to the "wrestling fan" (re Ohio vs WV): I disagree! Because of their population advantage, Ohio teams do enjoy more competition within their own boundaries. I truly believe that our West Virginia State Champions could compete favorably with other state's champions!

As for your criticism of Pburg Souths record at prestigious tournaments, I'm sure Coach Jackson's strategy is that by exposing his kids to the best competition, he will better prepare his wrestlers for post season competition...I admire that philosophy...and it appears to be working for the Patriots!

Until we in WV get better organized in summer wrestling, we will continue to lag behind.
1. We need a WV team for freestyle, or do we have one already?
2. The WVSSAC ruling that coaches can't have contact with their athletes during the off season is counter productive. I know that this rule was made for the few coaches that take advantage of a situation, but it is a shame that we would penalize a teacher for trying to advance the skills of his/her pupil.

Jeremy Berry, West Virginia resident from St. Marys won the 112 lb weight class in the Pennsylvania Prep School State Tourney. He wrestles for Mercersburg Academy in Mercersburg, Pa. His coach is Rick Hendrickson. More importantly, Jeremy 's grades have enabled him to maintain an honors status at the Mercersburg Academy. Thank you coach Hendrickson, and his past coaches, particularly Mike Litton and Ken Chertow(and Laurie)..., Lisa, Jeremy, and I appreciate your efforts!

If you are looking for a great wrestling program with STRONG emphasis on academics...Mercerburg is the place. Call us for info 304-684-7087, or email us at Berry@citynet.net.

Editor's note: HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE ....
... West Virginia had several champions and several placewinners at the AAU Nationals in St Louis last weekend, including Jason Ward at 16-18 152. Hoping to get some additional info on this .....

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated April 6, 1997