West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February, 1997 Forum

Part One

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 12, 1997 -- from repugnance
Did anyone hear about how much weight Mason Riffe put up in the one handed benchpress?

February 12, 1997
What happened to Luke Smith (Of South) at the MSAC?

February 11, 1997
As for who does the rankings, I am not certain but I think 2 coaches from each region (8 total) provide the input for the rankings. And by the way Mexicano, just because one team defeats another in a dual meet does not mean anything come the end of February. The rankings are supposedly based on how teams are expected to finish at the State Tournament. In a dual match your best wrestler can only score 6 points; but could possibly provide 20-25 at states!

February 11, 1997 -- from the fans once again
Ryan@syrnsweb.com
To the person who said North Marion can only win small tournaments: What about the Winners Choice tournament? They beat West Fairmont there -- it was close but still they beat them. I understand what you mean that there is no duals tournament in WV. Also, last year North Marion didn't have close to as good a team as this year. Also look at West Fairmont's team last year and compare.

February 11, 1997 -- from Edju Garkavich
O.K, pop quiz: Who from WV came the closest to beating PS this? Well I have 2 comments -- Bob Wilson is going to beat old Dallas from (CM) and Ward (JM) will defeat Ward (CM) at Huntington. This is all.

February 11, 1997 -- from Toucan
I really disagree with anyone who says that Ward from Midland won't win his second state title. Did anyone see that match where Fraizer from Midland beat Scott from Capital? I heard that Frazier looked very strong. I guess Fraizer is starting to turn it on. Give me some info please..
I also have heard that Thomas from Capital is working hard for his shot at a state title.

February 11, 1997 -- from cody
I WANT TO COMMEND MEXICANO ON HIS THIRD PLACE PERFORMANCE LAST YEAR IN THE JUNIOR STATES IN PARKERSBURG.

February 11, 1997 -- from the WV wrestling fan
To: Buffalo Bill Cody
To say that the Cabell Midland team of today would be beaten by the "Express" of '92 is like kicking a dead horse. There's no way to prove HHS could or couldn't beat them today. It's foolish to even ponder on the subject. Let's back off and let these two teams battle it out for the Regional title of 1997!!!

February 11, 1997 -- from Cafe Guest guest@xtalwind.net
EVEN THOUGH COACH ARCHER HAS HELPED ME A GREAT DEAL IN MY LIFE AS WITH MY OWN FAMILY I DID NOTICE ONE THING ABOUT THE HIGHLANDERS WRESTLING PAGE. IT SAID THAT BILL ARCHER WAS THE PONY EXPRESS'S FIRST STATE CHAMPION. THAT WAS TRUE HE BEAT LLYOD DAY OF STONEWALL JACKSON 6-3. AS MUCH AS I RESPECT COACH ARCHER AND NOT TO DISCREDIT HIM IN ANY WAY, COACH BANE MCCRACKEN OF MILTON HIGH WAS CABELL COUNTY'S FIRST STATE CHAMPION IN 1962. I BELIEVE HIS COACH WAS BILL BIAS. SEE STATE TOURNAMENT PROGRAM!
FROM THE STAT MASTER I WILL HAVE MORE HISTORY ON WEST VIRGINIA WRESTLING. THE FIRST MATCH IN THE STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA WAS BETWEEN MORGANTOWN HIGH AND PARKERSBURG. MORGANTOWN HIGH WAS VICTORIOUS AND LATER TRAVELED TO HUNTINGTON TO WRESTLE COACH PAT MCDERMOTT AND THE PONY EXPRESS. THE EXPRESS WAS VICTORIOUS. MY SOURCE OF INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT IS HUNTINGTON HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING 1922-1979 BY BILL ARCHER AND MORGANTOWN'S YEARBOOK -- WAS TITLED "MEMORIES "1922" AS IT SERVED AS SOMEWHAT A POINT OF REFERENCE

February 11, 1997 -- from MEXICANO
AS FOR JOE THORPE HE LEFT THE TEAM TO CONCENTRATE ON HIS STUDIES. I AGREE WITH WHOEVER SAID FAIRMONT SR. WAS OVERRATED AND I ALSO AGREE THAT NORTH MARION IS ALSO OVERRATED, BECAUSE IF I RECALL CABELL MIDLAND BEAT N.MARION TWICE. THEY ALSO BEAT FAIRMONT SR. AND WHEELING PARK THE ONLY TIMES THEY FACED THEM. SO WHO DOES THE RANKINGS, WHERE IS THE CREDIT THAT CREDIT IS DESERVED. HOW ABOUT THE MSAC THIS PAST WEEKEND, MIDLAND WAS DEFEATED BY SOUTH, WHICH IS UNDERSTANDABLE. BUT THEY REALLY MANHANDLED HUNTINGTON HIGH FOR THE SECOND TIME IN A ROW. HOW ABOUT FRAZIER? WAS IT AN UPSET OR WILL IT HAPPEN AGAIN AT THE REGIONALS. WARD, WHO HAD A BAD MATCH AGAINST JOHNSON, STILL DEFEATED THE O.W./ HARRIS HAS FINALLY FOUND HIS STRIDE BY DEFEATING WRIGHT FOR THE SECOND TIME IN A ROW. NIBERT IS REALLY LOOKING FOWARD TO BEATING THE BOYS UP NORTH. THE REGIONALS WILL BE A MILD STEPPING STONE FOR C.MIDLAND WHILE THEY PUT TO AN END OF A 9 YEAR TRADITION.

February 11, 1997 -- from BUFFALO BILL CODY
TO WRESTLING FAN: TO BEGIN WITH, MIDLAND BREAKING HUNTINGTON HIGH'S STREAK AT THE REGION -- WHILE MIDLAND DOES HAVE A GREAT TEAM THIS IS NOT THE PONY EXPRESS THAT THE PAST TWO YEARS MIDLAND COULD NOT BEAT. THIS IS THE NEW HUNTINGTON HIGH. THEREFORE, LIKE THE HUNTINGTON HEARLD DISPATCH SAID, IT HAS TAKEN CONSOLIDATION TO DO WHAT PONY EXPRESS OPPONENTS COULD NOT DO --- STOP THEM FROM DOMINATING REGION 3!
I WAS VERY PROUD TO BE A PART OF THE STREAK. TWICE BEFORE THE PONY EXPRESS HAD WON IT 4 TIMES STRAIGHT. COACH ARCHER BY FAR IS THE TOP COACH IN THE STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA BY CLASS AND BY HIS VAST WRESTLING KNOWLEDGE.
AND TO THE FAN -- LET ME GATHER THE BOYS FROM OUR 92 REGION 3 CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM -- OUT OF SHAPE OR NOT -- AND WE WOULD BEAT THE KNIGHTS. MILTON AND B-VILLE COULD NOT DO IT. WHAT MAKES MIDLAND THINK THEY COULD DETHRONE THE PONY EXPRESS? THEY HAD 2 CHANCES AND BLEW IT!

February 11, 1997 -- from another fan
To the person who says Fairmont Senior is overrated: yes, North Marion has a better overall team, but we're not in Pennsylvania and therefore do not have a duals team championship. But West Fairmont has better quality as opposed to quantity when compared to a team like North Marion; that is why North can dominate a small tournament like the NCAC. (North's 130 was 2nd; 135 was 4th; and even its 189 was 3rd) (It remains to be seen who will qualify for the state tournament). Quality is better then quantity anytime at the state tournament -- that is why last year North & West were neck & neck in every tournament but West scored about 100 more points than North at the State Tourney. "Peace?"

February 10, 1997 -- from a fan
I really think West Fairmont is really overrated. NORTH MARION pounded on them the whole tournament. Before the finals North was up by 41. Two of the best wrestlers there were Gorby (119) and Besedich (152). They dominated their opp. and will be contenders for the state title. And in all truth NORTH MARION is a better team than West. PEACE

February 10, 1997 -- from Lightweight wrestling fan
I was wondering what ever happened to Joe Thorpe from Huntington. If I remember right he was runner-up in the state last year at 112. I also remember reading about him beating Eric Frazier and Ryan Harris, both of Cabell Midland in key matches. He didn't wrestle in the Nitro Invitational either. I think that it would have been a real show-down between him and Gorby this year.

February 10, 1997 -- from RANDALL EDRINGTON
IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED I HAVE AN EXCELLENT COPY OF THE 1996 AAA STATE FINALS FOR SALE. THEY ARE 15.00 PER TAPE -- MONEY ORDERS OR PERSONAL CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED. I WILL BE AT THE STATE TOURNAMENT IN 1997. MY ADDRESS IS RANDY EDRINGTON, P.O. BOX 800, HOMOSASSA SPRINGS FLORIDA 34447. MY PHONE NUMBER IS 904 628-4267. PLEASE ALLOW UP TO 2 WEEKS DELEVERY TIME

February 10, 1997
What happened to Luke Smith of South? Why didn't he wrestle in the MSAC? Is he out for the season?

February 10, 1997 -- from the WV wrestling fan
This weekend at the MSAC, Midland had a good showing. The Knights only lost to South. They defeated Huntington High for the first time in a dual. Jerrod Walters proved dominant in his match against Paul Brooks of the Highlanders. The Knights seem to be picking up speed as the season comes towards its end. My personal prediction for regionals is that the Knights will win and break Huntington's streak, and will remain on top of Region 3 for years to come. They are only losing 3 Senior starters, but have a great set of underclassmen. As opposed to many other teams in the state, they are setting pretty to be a dominating force. They have the possibility of having multiple state champions and place winners this season, with many more next year They will be hard to stop!!!

February 10, 1997 -- from mexicano & binky
In my opinion Laymon Thomas, Capital, is the lone set-back for Mike Sharp at 215. Although we haven't heard much about him this year, he will be back into the roster at regionals. So everyone needs to watch out for this up and coming star. I hate it when people ride legs on one-legged dudes. Antlers up!!!!!!!!!

February 10, 1997 -- from RUTTY
I WAS AT THE MSAC TOURNAMENT AND NOTICED THE QUOTE THAT PARKERSBURG SOUTH HAD ON THE BACK OF THEIR SHIRTS ... A QUOTE FROM THE BIBLE. WHEN JASON SCOT BEAT ZAK HASSE 14-3, SOME FANS (behaved rudely in the poster's opinion). I THINK IT IS AN INSULT AND DISRESPECTFUL TO GOD. (Some people) NEED TO GROW UP AND START THINKING ABOUT WHAT IS ON THE BACK OF (South's) SHIRTS. IT WAS A GREAT MATCH BETWEEN THOSE TWO BOYS BUT IT WAS SPOILED BY THE (behavior of some fans, in the poster's opinion).

February 8, 1997
Brice Cogar from Lewis County placed 2nd in the NCAC tournament, losing to Andy Wilfong of Fairmont Senior 7-1. (2/8/97)

February 8, 1997 -- from Red Devil
Does anybody know how to get a copy of the AA individual weight class rankings?
WATCH OUT FOR JIMMY JOHNSON AT 103 FOR CALHOUN COUNTY!
Editor's note: Good question. We've been looking for the rankings too !

February 7, 1997 -- from Jenny Sullivan
email: jennifer.gilchrist@gep.ge.com
Justin Cox is having trouble regulating his sugar right now and Jeremy Abbott can no longer make weight. Adam Shank, our 103-pounder last year who placed 3rd in the state was originally planned to be at 103 again this year but he too has never been able to get down to 103. But, thankfully, he's just a junior and should be first string next year. Another MSAC question that's driving me crazy. I've heard first that the tournament's at Capital and then now I read that it's going to be at Point Pleasant. So does anyone know where it's going to be for sure?

February7, 1997 -- from Inquiring Minds
Does anyone know what happened to P. South's 103 pounders? As I recall from the forum messages about Cox, they had at least two of them (Cox and Abbott) but have forfeited the weight the last few meets? What gives?

February 7, 1997 -- from the WV wrestling fan
MSAC blue division starts at 2:00P.M. be there!

February 6, 1997 -- from the gimp
FIRST OF ALL I HATE ... DUCK UNDERS TO THE ONE ARMED MAN. A FELLOW BY THE NAME OF JASON SCOTT WILL (defeat) ZACK HASSE. CAPITAL ALSO HAS A MASSIVE 189 LBS THAT WILL (wrestle) COURTNEY. ALSO LOOK FOR THE RETURN OF LAYMON THOMAS AT 215 LBS, AKA IGGY MOON. LOOK FOR HIM TO COME ON STRONG IN THE REGIONALS.

February 6, 1997 -- from halfnelson
Phil Kesner (Frankfort) wrestles 135 not 125. Zach Liller is their 125 lb wrestler.

February 6, 1997 -- from The genious bear
nsansane@access.k12.wv.us
Philip Kesner from Frankfort has a record of 19-7 in the 125 pound weight class.

February 6, 1997 -- from Jenny Sullivan
Ok, all you people looking forward to the MSAC - does anyone know what time things get underway? I heard that weigh-ins for the Blue Division don't even start until 1:00 p.m. Is this going to be a traditional tournament or a duals meet like last year? If anyone knows, please help!!! Thanks!

February 6, 1997 -- from Edju Garkavich
Well, at the Tri at JM last night there was some very good wrestling. I was very impressed with Chris Ward of JM. He beat Johnson 12-5 and Hosaflook from Rip. 13-4 (Ward kicked him out 4 times). JM got beat by South 28-37 which they should have tied -- but Adkins at 145 was winning 7-4 and got pinned with 2 sec. left. But I guess that kind of stuff happens when you're wrestling South; you can never quit until the last buzzer. Weese and Sharpe didn't get to wrestle because Weese wrestled Hwt. Next Sat. JM wrestles WP and it should be a good one. I was just wondering if anyone knows what happened to Cogar from Lewis Co? If anyone sees the match betweenWard (CM) and Johnson I would like to hear about it. Thanks a lot.

February 5, 1997 -- from the WV wrestling fan
In my opinion 140 and 125 are the toughest in AAA. 140, with Ward (CM), Ward (JM), and Johnson (PS) O.W."95, (three state champs from 94, 96), will be great to watch in the state championship at the end of Febuary. If you live near the dual of Ward (JM) and Johnson (PS) happening today on Feb. 5, then I would like to hear your comments on that match. Ward (CM) and Johnson (PS) wrestle on Saturday I will be there!

In 125, Zach Hasse (PS) is tough but Jason Scott (C) is coming on tougher and stronger than years past. Last year in the semi- finals at Huntington, Scott was leading Hasse 2 or 4 to 0 for 2 periods then Hasse came back and rose to the occasion, and defeated Scott by a point or two to go to the state finals. This weekend at the MSAC they will wrestle for bragging rights until the state tournament.

Also in the 125 lbs. weight class are two tough wrestlers Ken Becker (WP) and Eric Frazier (CM). Becker is the OVAC champ, 4th 119 lbs. in "96. Frazier was beaten by Becker 6-1 and Hasse 8-5. Frazier has wrestled everyone except for Jason Scott this year. This weight (125) is going to be hard to predict.

February 5, 1997 -- from 160 pound powerhouse
I won't mention any names but I wrestle for a northern school and the only thing I have to say is the boy south of the Mason Dixon line better watch out cause the north is coming after you !!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 1997 -- from B. Ebert
email: solobaric@hotmail.com
This is in regards to the 160 wt. class and Nibert vs Wilson: If you don't recall Bob Wilson of John Marshall beat him 5 to 2 in last years states. He has improved alot since last year. I think it will be Wilson and Wilfong in the finals. Wilfong is good but Wilson is better. Nobody from WV has yet to beat Wilson and I don't think anyone can. He was 4th in the OVAC tourn. The winner of that was John Cole from Beaver Local. Wilson pinned Cole in the first period this year. In 140, I pick Chris Ward over Jason Ward.

February 4, 1997 -- from the WV wrestling fan
In this state there are many contenders and no sure bets on state champs. West Virginia, with teams like P. South, Hunt. High, Cabell Midland, Wheeling Park, Roane County, Jefferson, and Parkersburg; It's going to be pretty tough to place, teamwise, second. Unless the parties speaking of John Marshall being runner-up in the state to P. South have seen all the teams talked about above wrestle, I wouldn't count some the powerhouses above out on a state championship over South. The MSAC tournament at Capital high should be the toughest tournment by far in the eastern part of the state. If it were 200 miles away I would make plans to attend.

February 4, 1997 -- from MEXICANO
EDJU: YOU ARE RIGHT, WILFONG BEAT NIBERT AT WHEELING, 2-1 *REFEERE ASSISTED* AS FAR AS WILSON WE WILL SEE *THIS YEAR* AT HUNTINGTON. WHERE IS THE RESPECT THAT JASON WARD DESERVES? RIGHT THERE ARE 3 STATE CHAMPS AT 140, WHO WILL REPEAT? WHO KNOWS. I AM THINKING JASON WARD, HE HAS DEDICATION AND THE SKILL TO BE A 4-TIME. LEMASTER HAS IMPROVED 100% AND IS READY FOR ANYONE. WALTERS IS UNBELIEVEABLE AND IS AWAITING TO PROVE HIMSELF TO THE STATE. FRAZIER CAN WRESTLE WITH ANYONE IN THE STATE WHEN HE WRESTLES HIS MATCH. OLSON HAS STRUGGLED EARLY BUT IS BACK. HARRIS PROVED HIMSELF WHEN HE BEAT 2-TIME STATE CHAMP JONES FROM WILLIAMSTOWN(FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW) AND MIKE WRIGHT IN THE WSAZ. HARRIS WILL BE THE CINDARELA STORY OF THE STATE TOURN. MORRISON IS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY, IF HE WRESTLES LIKE HE CAN HE WILL DEFINITLEY BE BACK IN THE STATE FINALS. AND AS FAR AS TEAM WISE WE WILL SEE THIS WEEKEND AT MSAC. *******JIM- I HAVE SOME GOODIES YOU OUGHT TO SEE. "ANTLERS UP"

February 4, 1997 -- from The wrestling guide
I agree 140 is a strong weight class this year, but don't count out Jason Ward (CM). He has been training all year and is looking for another state title. Jared Walters of (CM) is also another one to watch, maybe not for the state title this year, but in the upcoming years (remember he's just a freshman). Another wrestler I think is going to do good in the state is Capitals 125 pounder Jason Scott he is looking better than ever and is out to win.

February 4, 1997 -- from Jenny Sullivan
Mr. LeMaster, you're right. Justin Cox didn't wrestle against Cabell Midland. Our 103-pounder that night was Jeremy Abbott. Justin didn't start the season until the Ironman Invitational in mid-December. Jeremy Abbott started out the season for South at 103. Now that Ryan Zombro is out, I could very likely envision a title match between Wilfong and Nibert. As for Kenny Maxwell, I saw a couple of things on him in the results and scores section of this website. Same goes for Jason Johnson - his results are all there; all you have to do is look at all of the South results. A word about Jason Johnson - he knows he's in a really tough weight class this year and he knows he's got some excellent wrestlers he'll be facing, two of which he'll see Wednesday night (Chris Ward of John Marshall and Mike Hosaflook of Ripley). But don't count Jason out yet. He's faced some of the toughest competition in the country this year. This weight class includes Sonny Marchette of Walsh Jesuit, Jamarr Billman of Easton, Pa, Jimmy Griffey of Grundy, Va, and Calivitta of Calvary Chapel, Ca. I'm not here to brag and make predictions that Jason will "take it all" in Huntington, because none of us know what can and will happen. When you have a weight class with three state champs in it, two are not going to repeat as champions (Ward won in '95). These boys are all fine wrestlers and any of them is deserving of the title. And who knows, we may have a sleeper somewhere waiting in the wings!

February 3, 1997 -- from harry
Zombro has a broken leg and will not return this year. He had beaten Wilfong in their first meeting before breking his leg in their return match.

February 3, 1997 -- from Edju Garkavich
Hi. I was wondering what happened to Ryan Zombro from Jefferson? And about this 160 with Wilfong and Nilbert -- is that Nilbert who got beat twice at states last year by Wilfong and Wilson of J.M? This year at 160 I predict Wilson and Wilfong in the finals. What do you think?
(Editors note: The results of the Jefferson Invitational indicate that Zombro lost there via injury default. Rumors are that he was in a long leg cast afterward).

February 3, 1997 -- from Bobby Jenks - '92 state placewinner-Iaeger HS
email: jenkswr@ed.concord.wvnet.edu
I am yet to hear anything of Kenneth Maxwell of Iaeger at 103. Kenny has the drive and the determination to be a STATE CHAMP!!! Also another rising star of Iaeger, Adam Blevins - this kid is a great wrestler!!! Blevins all the way in '97 - and look out in '98!!!!!!!! In AAA powerhouse Jason Scott of Capital is a sure bet. This kid has everything it takes to be on top. HE IS UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PEACE.

February 3, 1997 -- from Jim LeMaster
email: lemasterjpmd@msn.com
Thanks to Mexicano for his confidence but ... LeMaster and Cox have only wrestled once and that was in Pee-Wee about five years ago and Justin Cox won by fall with 16 seconds left in the third period. I should know, cause I was there! As for Nibert and Wilfong in the finals, I can only say, it could happen. The picks for states are interesting and it would be fun after the state championship, to speculate on matches between A-AA and AAA champs. Kudos to the comment about winning with class and losing with dignity. Keep the forum going, it's fun to read. Let's hear from some folks in the Coalfields and Eastern Panhandle! A special word to Mexicano . . . Got any new souvenirs lately? and "Antlers Up!"

February 3, 1997 -- from MEXICANO
I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT JASON JOHNSON. I HAVE HEARD NOTHING ABOUT HIM THIS YEAR. I DISAGREE WITH THOSE WHO THINK THAT COX WILL WIN AT 103. I RECALL LEMASTER FROM CABELL MIDLAND BEAT HIM PRETTY BAD. AND ANOTHER THING, WHAT ABOUT NIBERT AND WILFONG IN THE STATE FINALS THIS YEAR? IT IS VERY POSSIBLE.

February 3, 1997 -- from Jenny Sullivan
e-Mail: jennfer.gilchrist@gep.ge.com
I wish to extend my highest praise to you wrestlers, coaches, and parents who have mastered the art of winning without cockiness and losing with grace. You exemplify the true meaning of high school sports. I've seen several examples of poor sportsmanship (some quite pathetic) this past week and it makes me want to praise those who do make the sport enjoyable. To you I wish nothing but success. You're on the right track!

To those of you who still have a bit of trouble with self-control, you might want to learn from this example. I won't name names or teams, but this event did happen this year (in late January) in West Virginia. A wrestler at a particular tournament behaved so poorly that he got thrown out of the tournament, losing the 14 team points he'd accumulated and losing his team's lead in the tournament. Consequently, when all was said and done, his team's rival won the tournament by 13 1/2 points. Now that's a lesson learned the hard way!

February 2, 1997 -- from David Cottrill
Subject: Viking Smash
Your team results for the Viking Smash have to be in error. I believe that South Harrison came in third with a 4-2-1 record. I was at the tournament. If Berkeley is 7-0 and Frankfort is 6-1 then Frankfort's only loss would be to Berkeley and that means that Grafton lost to both of them. I also know that Grafton lost to South Harrison (43-34), so that gives them 3 losses and they could not have come in ahead of South Harrison. I am from the South Harrison area, as if you hadn't already figured that out, and am very proud of the team for this placing and just want to make sure that they get credit for it. I very much enjoy your website, keep up the good work.

(Editor's note: Thanks, David, for the update. I'm a little confused myself. Can anyone help us out here? )

February 2, 1997 -- from Bob Wilson
Well since you asked, Painter is from Greenbrier West and is undefeated. But GW is a AA school so can anyone tell me how he is going to beat Courtney in state.

February 2, 1997 -- from sturgeous lipmonger
email: wrestlefreak@hotmail.com
I'm surprised at some of these picks for AAA State Champions! Not only are some of them outright ludicrous (Besedich over Jackson at 152; Painter at 189 -- who is Painter?) but some are even choosing Zac Litton from Parkersburg as the state champ at 135 pounds! Come on, people -- Litton has wrestled at 145 the entire season! Another person chose either "Kulpa or Waugh" at 275! Is there some sort of new AAA-AA play off after the states? These 2 are in different divisions!
In a few days--you'll see some CONSISTENT ratings... Stay Tuned!

(Editors note: This post comes close to a flame, but we will post it anyway with minor editing. Of course Painter is from Greenbrier West and Waugh is from Berkeley Springs, both AA/A schools. We see nothing wrong with speculation as to who might be the state champ if AAA and AA/A were combined).

February 2, 1997
Here is a link to a write-up on the Jefferson Invitational: www.cvn.net/~d3wrestle/waboro.htm

February 2, 1997 -- from: The man
Here are my picks for this years state champions
103- Cox PS
112-Stanley Brooke
119-Groby NM
125-Becker WP
130-Muldrew JM
135-Litton PHS
140-Ward JM
145-Walters PS
152-Besidech NM
160-Wilfong FS