West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February, 1997 Forum

Part Two

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 21, 1997 -- from R.S.
I would like to tell you about a team that will make some noise at state. Williamstown will place in the top ten as a team. We have the only 2-time defending state champ in Bryan Jones. Bryan might have lost a few this year but I would like to see anyone else come back from a broken hip all in the same year. He will win state. Then you have the Wenmoth brothers. Both have done well this year. Ash, the 103 lb (saying he only weighs 92 lbs) only lost to Calhoun's Jimmy Jonshon by a 7-4 score. He will place very high at state.
His brother Justin for some reason is not ranked in the state. He has 9 losses: 4 to David Drennen, 2 to Jason Miller ( both from Wirt), and two more to 2 ranked AAA wrestlers Scott of Capital and Frazier of Midland. He pinned Shawn Dunn of Parkesburg Catholic in 37 seconds and Dunn is ranked 2 in AA-A. Justin will do well if he hustles in his matches.
Then we have Zac Johnson who has been up and down all year. Some days he looks like a million dollars and some days he looks like less than a million dollars. If he gets more confident with his shot he will place. Willie Westbrooke will be a good one in the future. He gives up size and srength at 112 lB but he still wins. He placed 4th at WSAZ. Then there are Buddy Hawkins and Howard Melrose -- both are sophmores but both do very well for their experience. They both have a chance to place at state. This core is what will place Williamstown in the TOP TEN.

February 21, 1997 -- from A WRESTLER
I THINK THAT RANDY BRAGG DESERVES TO BE RATED AS ONE OF THE STATES TOP 135 WRESTLERS. AFTER FINISHING AS A STATE RUNNER UP IN CLASS AA/A.

February 21, 1997 -- from TP in Motown
I just looked over the coaches poll for AAA schools and think two names were left off that will soon be on there. At 171 pounds from Morgantown High School, Adam Moreland - a very steady wrestler, will make some noise at regionals and states. And at 215, Tim Ripley from Morgantown High School as well. A tough wrestler who has good quickness on the mat and a lot of power too. They should have at least gotten on the ones to watch list. Keep your eye on these two.

February 21, 1997 -- from Jenny Sullivan
email: jennifer.gilchrist@gep.ge.com
I meant to send this in earlier, but I wanted to thank Mr. LeMaster for the nice things he said. However, the credit should go to the wonderful folks at the Parkersburg News and the Parkersburg Sentinel. I'm convinced we have the best wrestling coverage in the state. Not only do they cover wrestling duals and tournaments the same way most papers devote their space to basketball, they also feature editorials from time to time. Come next week, we'll see an editorial nearly every day, and during and after the state tournament, entire pages will be devoted to the sport. It's been a long time since a sports writer from Parkersburg was honored at the state tournament, but in my opinion, Dave Poe, Steve Hemmelgarn, or Ron Johnston would get my vote any day! Oh yeah, and by the way, I think the logo looks great too. I bet everyone noticed!

February 20, 1997 -- from Jim LeMaster
email: lemasterjpmd@msn.com
The new logo is great! The page comes up much faster now and it really looks super. Once again to the sysop, your page is tremendous. Good luck to everyone in the regionals this weekend. To all you guys cutting weight... just hang on two more weeks. See you at the Civic Center... the Huntington area welcomes everyone.
Editor's note: Thanks for the kind words. Didn't think anyone would notice.

February 20, 1997 -- from A fan
This may help to clarify why the coaches ranked the 135 lb class as they did: They have Cinalli 4th probably because he beat Leverette a few weeks ago and lost a close match to Kennedy 5-3. Cinalli lost to Craddock though in Dec. Although Morrison beat Cinalli, we have a round robin - type scenario where A beats B, B beats C, and C then beats A. Much like the 103 lb class (as someone said earlier) it is difficult for coaches to rank wrestlers when circumstances like these are involved.

February 20, 1997 -- from Pat Morrison
I am confused about the AAA Individual Rankings at the 135 pound weight class. Byron Murrell is the most confusing. He defeated Craddock (RC) in a 3-1 OT decision; and he has defeated me twice. He deserves to be in the top three. Leverette has been the most impressive dropping from 140 to beat Murrell in a 5-3 decision, he should be number 1. As for Kennedy I have not seen much of him but he has wrestled well at 130. Cinalli (FS) is a good wrestler who is excellent on his feet, however, I was able to defeat him earlier in the season at the Wheeling Duals.
Editors note: Thanks for the input, Pat. Polls are fun and serve to promote interest and publicity for our sport. Of course, as we all know, the poll that REALLY counts will be taken at Huntington in two weeks, and the wrestlers will be doing the voting on the mat. Good luck.

February 20, 1997 -- from Mr. Wrestling
I agree with half nelson - thanks for the ind. rankngs although they have a definite Northern bias. I think the O.W. will probably be the winner of 140 - what a tough class! I also think the most balanced class is the little guys at 103. Satterfield (1) has been beaten by Cox. Both Satterfield and Cox have been beaten by Lemaster (33-4 but unranked ?) Schmidle, Starsick, and Bonasso all went to states last year in the same weight class and Bonasso placed. Also, Reed of Pt. Pleasnt (unranked) was at last report unbeaten in WV and placed third at A.A.U. nationals last year. Regalbuto is the unknown factor but has lost to Satterfield who was beaten by LeMaster who was beaten by Starsick who was beaten by Bonasso? Confusing ? You bet! Look for the little guys to stir up some action in two weeks? Last of all, I heard a rumor that one of the ranked 189's is out for disciplinary reasons. Any truth to this? If so, he is gone for the tournament!

February 19, 1997 -- from halfnelson
Thanks to the coaches for the individual rankings. However, I think they overlooked a couple of kids in the Eastern Panhandle. They are JD Kirby (160), Jefferson County and JD Murphy (275) Hedgesville. Look for both to crack the top six.

February 19, 1997 -- from THE GIMP
I FORGOT TO ADD THAT LAYMON THOMAS AT 215 IS LOOKING REALLY STRONG. I OBSERVED HIM AT WRESTLING PRACTICE AND HE WAS LOOKING SIMPLY AWESOME. LOOK FOR HIM TO WIN REGION 3. WHETHER OR NOT HE WILL DO WELL AGAINST SHARP (PS) IS A DIFFERENT STORY ...

February 19, 1997 -- from THE GIMP
SMITH FROM CAPITAL HAS ALREADY BEAT SHARP AND CAREY AND LOST TO COURTNEY IN THE FINALS AT FAIRMONT 9-5 BECAUSE HE WAS OUT OF SHAPE -- AND ASK ME WHY HE IS NOT RANKED IN THE 189 CLASS? SOME PEOPLE BETTER WATCH FOR HIM IN THE STATES -- HE JUST HAD A BAD WEEKEND AT WSAZ

February 18, 1997 -- from the WV wrestling fan
Correction: Logan is not wrestling in any regional competition at all because of lack of weigh-ins. That is all...

February 18, 1997 -- from hwt fan
The HWT's in this year's state tournament should provide a very exciting class of wrestlers. Ones to watch are Kupla (2nd. in 96), Crabtree (4th. in 96), but there are several other wrestlers who will make this a very competive class. Hennessey has defeated Kerns (5th. in 96) 6-2 and Reed of Lewis county 4-1 and came into the WSAZ with an eighth seed and battled to capture third. His only loss was a 3-1 battle with Jones of South Point Ohio, who won his fourth WSAZ title by a 11-2 dec. over Crabtree of Huntington High. Kerns returns with tournament experince and don't count out Region 4 second and third seeds Reed and Beckley's Sarrett. P'burg South's HWT. also had a good showing at the MSAC and Nitro's big man has showed potential this year. I hope everyone has a safe trip to the states and keep supporting WV wrestling!!!!!

February 18, 1997 -- from LEFTWICH
To: Repugnance -- I want to commend the blind wrestler from Stonewall who won the county tournament and got voted most outstanding wrestling. I also hate people who do head taps to the blind wrestler.

February 18, 1997 -- from Mat Burn
I think Steve Murray of Capital has a chance of winning 152 this year. He started off great and then had a few rough matches. Look for him to do great in the regions.

February 17, 1997 -- from BUFFALO BILL CODY
I HAVE GONE THRU SOME OF THE PAST FORUM ITEMS CONCERNING THE DEFENDING STATE CHAMPION JASON WARD OF CABELL MIDLAND. I THINK HE SHOULD HAVE WON THE O.W. AWARD AT THE STATE TOURNAMENT. JASON JOHNSON'S VICTORY OVER RAHSAAN BATES WAS AN UPSET! WARD REALLY DOMINATED AT 135 AND I HOPE TO SEE WARD ON TOP OF THE AWARDS STAND AT THE STATES THIS YEAR -- BACK TO BACK FOR WARD. AND ALSO ONE OF THE BEST MATCHES AT THE 96 STATES WAS LITTEN AND JACKSON AT 145 POUNDS. I THINK LITTEN REALLY GOT THE SHAFT! WELL STATES SHOULD BE GREAT THIS YEAR!

February 17, 1997 -- from BUFFALO BILL CODY
TO THE WEST VIRGINIA WRESTLING FAN: YES, THERE IS NO WAY TO TELL IF HHS IN 92 COULD HAVE DEFEATED MIDLAND OR THE OTHER WAY AROUND. BUT AS I STATED -- THIS MAY BE MIDLANDS YEAR IN REGION 3? MIDLAND NEVER DID DETHRONE THE PONY EXPRESS IN 2 TRIES! I WOULD LIKE HOWEVER SAY ONE THING ABOUT TOP ALL TIME TEAMS I THINK THE 88 (OR WAS IT 89) PARKERSBURG TEAM WITH 7 CHAMPIONS WAS A GOOD ONE!

February 17, 1997
Parkersburg Catholic will compete in region 3.

February 17, 1997 -- from the WV wrestling fan
First off, Logan is a AAA team. Logan is a region 3 team. Logan has four wrestlers who wrestled in the MSAC...that's all.

February 17, 1997
Just a few quick comments on your Region 2 maps: Musselman does not have a team this year and therefore will not be competing in AAA region 2. Also, Liberty (Harrison), while classified as a AA school, chooses to compete in AAA Region 2 (as they have the past few years as a AA school).

Editor's note: Right you are about Mussleman, and I'll take your word on Liberty Harrison. Quite frankly, I've got several questions about regional alignments myself. The information I received last spring had Vinson and Buffalo Putnam in AA/A Region 3, but I'm not sure if they are competing this year. I've also got conflicting stories on which region Parkersburg Catholic will be in. I still have Richwood listed in Region 4, but know for a fact that they aren't competing this year. West Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind had a match scheduled with Keyser earlier this year, but I don't know if they will have entries in Region 4. In AAA, Logan had 2 wrestlers in the MSAC tourney, but I don't know if they will attend the regional or which region Logan would be in. I guess we'll find out this weekend !

February 16, 1997 -- from Edju Garkavich
Ward {JM} and Ward {CM} have never wrestled. They did have a chance to at the WSAZ in Jr. High but Ward {JM} broke his arm in the quarter-finals and they never got to wrestle. Also when Cross injured his arm it was an exibition match against JM.

February 16, 1997 -- from pkb00873 pkb00873@alpha.wvup.wvnet.edu
Hi I was wondering if you could tell me your predictions at the 1997 state wrestling tournament in WV. Do you think South will claim its third sraight AAA title? Who do you think will be A/AA team champ?. Personally I think South will have its third state championship. In A/AA I think Wirt County will overcome Oak Glen seeing that they already defeated Cameron.

Editor's note: We've resisted the temptation to offer opinions or editorials (Maybe next year ...). Since you asked, Parkersburg South is a pretty safe bet to win the AAA state title. Places 2-5 will be anybody's guess from any of the teams in the Coaches poll.
As for AA/A: As an alumnus of the LKC (I claim both Calhoun County and Roane County as home), my heart says to pick Calhoun or Wirt, but my head says to go with Oak Glen and not to count Berkeley Springs and Cameron out of the top five.
I think that in both classes the top placing teams are going to be determined in no small part by those who can get through the regionals free of injuries and academic casualties.

February 16, 1997 -- from Toucan
To the TOP WRESTLING SCOUT: First, Spencer (Edison) did not win the Ohio State Championships. He was dominated by Stough. Plus being an Ohio resident I know that he doesn't peak until the end of the year when it counts. Being a wrestler, I know that you can not be at the top of your game the whole season; there are injuries and several other factors involved. Scott will be ready to wrestle when the whistle blows in the Civic Center. He has defeated several other quality wrestlers including Hasse. For the loss to Frazier, who is a good wrestler, HE GOT CAUGHT, better now than in the STATES. I would also like to know if Ward (JM) has ever wrestled Ward (CM) and if so what was the outcome. Ward (CM) is one of the best in any state. I know he could have placed high in the Ohio States last year. He defeated last years O.W. not even wrestling his best match. He will again make his mark come end of February.

February 15, 1997 -- from A Top Wrestling Scout
As for justifying my pick of Becker to win the 125lb class over Scott -- I have seen both wrestle this year. Becker looked very impressive at the Brooke tournament; losing only to 1996 Ohio AA State Champion Luke Spencer (of Edison) 5-4 in the semis. Becker also wrestled well at the Park Duals, beating Frazier (of CM) 6-1. As for Scott, he looked rather unimpressive at the Winner's Choice narowly defeating Mayo (of NM) in the semis 4-2 in a match Mayo could have won. Look for Becker to take states.

February 15, 1997
For the first time ever!!!! Region II wrestling finals held at the Woody Williams Armory in Fairmont will be broadcast life by WTUS 102.7 FM RADIO. Bring your headsets and enjoy the action.

February 14, 1997 -- from half nelson
To the Wrestler up North: The individual will be out this week and will be posted on this page. (top six)

February 14, 1997 -- from a wrestler up north
I would like to hear some individual rankings for the top four for A-AA.

February 14, 1997 -- from Jim LeMaster
email: lemasterjpmd@msn.com
First of all thanks to Jenny Sullivan for all the time and effort she has put in posting results for all of us to read. I know that she must be a dedicated and knowledgable wrestling fan. I have seen several peoples questions answered by way of her postings. Secondly, I certainly hope that someone can post the official set of individual rankings a they will be interesting after the past weeks action at the MSAC, etc. Good luck to all the ranked wrestlers that are involved in wrestle offs this week, lets hope that the best are still active when the regionals and states roll around! One comment to make to "repugnance" always remember... in the country of the blind, the one eyed man is king! In response to Jenny's comment about the best wrestlers, under the present system some regions will always be stronger than others and win & loss records can really be decieving. For example, with the competition that South has wrestled, their records would not be as good. Therefore, the states can not be seeded on records. If anyone has any great ideas on how to get the two best wrestlers seeded apart, let's hear them! A final word to a certain 112 pounder ( actually, a certain 112 who was pounded!) "We're in the money!" Antlers up!

February 14, 1997 -- from The Guru
As an avid fan of high school wrestling, I have to make a comment about the MSAC tournament. I saw one the best matches of the year in Scott (Cap) vs Hasse (South). The match before Scott wrestled Hasse might have been the worst match he has wrestled this year. You could tell by watching Scott wrestle Frazier that he was not in the right frame of mine to wrestle, but that's something you have to deal with as a wrestler. Scott was probably looking ahead at wrestling Hasse. Frazier pulled off the upset of the year to what will probably will be the 125 lbs. state champion this year. Hasse should hope he doesn't have to wrestle Scott again because Scott beat him after he had lost his first match to a lesser opponent. I can't wait till the States. Why is everyone on Becker from Wheeling Park? What has he done that is so good that everyone is choosing him to win the states? It's going to come down to Scott and Hasse. You can bet on it.

February 14, 1997
Word is that one of A-AA's top 112 grapplers, Wirt County's Josh Cross, is out for the season with an injured elbow. How will this impact the 112 rankings and Wirt's chances at a state team title?

February 14, 1997
Roane County has a new 275 pounder Paul Williams. He will make some noise at the state meet.

February 14, 1997 -- from Jenny Sullivan
jennifer.gilchrist@gep.ge.com
Sorry it took so long, but I finally got the scoop on Luke Smith. He injured his hip in practice last week and still isn't completely over it. He did manange to narrowly defeat Chris Neptune of Fairmont Senior Wednesday night by a score of 3-2. I had read that Neptune hasn't been 100% lately either. Wow, I can't imagine what these two will be like at full strength. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll get in opposite brackets at state and not have to meet up until the finals. Anything else would truly be a shame. That leads me to a gripe that I've had for a long time. I wish there was some way to ensure that the top two ranked wrestlers according to the coaches' polls would be placed in opposite brackets at the state tournamet. I heard in the past that the process for determining the brackets is random. If anyone can straighten me out on this one I'd appreciate it. I hate to see the two best wrestlers meet up in the semis or even in the quarterfinals and the loser having to settle for third at best. Oh well, I guess there's no easy way.

I really think this is going to be an exciting state tournament this year. The teams that I personally have seen wrestle South this year (Cabell Midland, North Marion, John Marshall, and Fairmont Senior) have been fantastic, and I haven't even seen Wheeling Park yet! I missed the MSAC but I'll get to see Huntington this Saturday at Wirt. And I still don't think anyone should overlook Roane County, Jefferson, and Hedgesville. Parkersburg High is coming on strong. They're managing to win several duals while giving up 2-3 forfeits a match. I think there are going to be a lot of weight classes where several wrestlers are pretty evenly matched. Let's just hope those who survived the report card test can stay healthy for a couple more weeks!

One more word - Mr. Ward (as in Jason's dad), thanks for the kind words. Here's wishing both Jasons the best of luck in the next two weeks!

February 13, 1997
What happened to Walters (145) & Smith (171) of South?

February 13, 1997 -- from A Top Wrestling Scout
How's this for rankings: (Just my opinion -- NOT official)

1 Satterfield (Pkb)
2 Regalbuto (Hed)
3 Bonasso (FS)
4 LeMaster (CM)
5 Cox (PS)
6 Evans (WP)
7 Starsick (NM)
8 Reed (PtP)
9 Schmidle (Prst)

1 Stanley (Brk)
2 Shank (PS)
3 Walters (CM)
4 Russell (PtP)
5 Conway (WP)
6 Shearer (NM)
7 Shetler (Hed)
8 Mullins (Rip)
9 Jenkins (Lib)
10 Brooks (Hnt)

1 Gorby (NM)
2 Collins (PS)
3 Crouch (Hur)
4 Flanigan (WP)
5 R Stanley (Brk)
6 Golden (Pkb)
7 Chirgwin (Hnt)
8 Hill (PtP) 
9 Whitmore (Hed)
10 Williams (JM)

1 Becker (WP)
2 Scott (CAP)
3 Frazier (CM)
4 Hasse (PS)
5 D Stanley (Brk)
6 Burgess (WW)
7 Mayo (NM)
8 Sailor (EF)
9 Burris (PtP)
10 Willaims (LC)

1 Muldrew (JM) 
2 Kennedy (WP)
3 Hedrick (FS)
4 Harris (CM)
5 Wright (Hnt)
6 Smith (PS)
7 Wolfe (Jef)
8 Bulford (PR)
9 Benedum (LC)
10 Nicely (Nitro)

1 Murrell (Hnt)
2 Craddock (Rne)
3 Morrison (CM)
4 Monseau (WP)
5 Cinalli (FS)
6 Leverette (Pkb)
7 Boyden (WW)
8 Whipkey (JM)
9 Wilson (JM)
10 Price (Rip)

1 Ward (JM)
2 Ward (CM)
3 Johnson (PS)
4 Cain (Rne)
5 Hosaflook (Rip)
6 Straight (HH)
7 Perry (Dup)
8 Singleton (Hnt)
9 Shell (BU)
10 Raines (EF)

1 Walters (PS)
2 Litton (Pkb)
3 Kennen (WP)
4 Callahan (WW)
5 Steele (Rne)
6 Moles (HH)
7 Bexfield (Hnt)
8 Triviso (NM)
9 Dean (Brk)
10 McDonough (FS)

1 Jackson (Jeff)
2 Besedich (NM)
3 Emerick (PS)
4 Guice (Pkb)
5 Kirkpatrick (ELK)
6 Olson (CM)
7 Hess (HH)
8 McLaughlin (SS)
9 Jones (JM)
10 Greathouse (Rne)

1 Wilfong (FS)
2 Kirby (Jeff)
3 Nibert (CM)
4 Wilson (JM)
5 Tuttle (WP)
6 Burgess (Rne)
7 Ankrom (Cap)
8 Cogar (LC)
9 Payne (PS)
10 Werhle (HH)

1 Smith (PS)
2 Neptune (FS)
3 Conaway (NM)
4 Copley (Hnt)
5 Minda (Brk)
6 Rickard (PtP)
7 Fulks (GW)
8 Thompson (SS)
9 Clary (CM)
10 Nichols (Rne)

1 Courtney (FS)
2 Carey (Jef)
3 Sharp (Elk)
4 Smith (Cap)
5 Daugherty (JM)
6 Jackson (Mart)
7 Daggett (PS)
8 Alford (Hurr)
9 Duke (WP)
10 Valleau (Nitro)

1 Sharpe (PS)
2 Weese (JM)
3 Ochap (WP)
4 Zebuhr (BU)
5 Davidson (Hnt)
6 Moore (NM)
7 Ripley (Mgt)
8 Ashby (Hed)
9 Fountaine (Rne)
10 King (Rip)

1 Kulpa (NM)
2 Crabtree (Hnt)
3 Kerns (ELK)
4 Reed (LC)
5 Hennessey (NC)
6 Sarrett (WW)
7 Fields (NItro)
8 Middleton (PS)
9 Greathouse (Rne)
10 Daugherty (PB)

Enjoy! Hope I didn't forget too many good wrestlers! But sorry if I did!

February 13, 1997
Here's a link to a story in the Charleston Daily Mail about a blind junior high champion in Kanawha County: http://www.dailymail.com/tom0213.htm

February 13, 1997
I agree only that Drennan has a good shot. But he has to beware of Dunn from Parkersburg Catholic, who has beat him once this year and lost to him a few times, as well as Eric McCartney from Calhoun County, who has yet to wrestle him this year. The most interesting thing is that all three are from the same region and the champ should come from this region.

February 13, 1997 -- from the jipsy
My single prediction for a A-AA state champion is at 125. I think David Drennen from Wirt County is going to be a champ again. I have wrestled the competition and have wrestled him; therefore I can say this.

February 13, 1997 -- from the Red Devil
Does anybody have any predictions on AA Individual State Champs?

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated February 13, 1997