Newspapers

admin
Site Admin

Newspapers

Postby admin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:30 pm

From the Editor:

A word about links to online newspaper articles about WV wrestling.

From the start of this website, I have made an effort to post every scrap of WV wresting information that a reader would care to contribute. The only way this website works is if readers contribute, and readers will not contribute if their contributions are not included.

This includes links to online newspaper articles. For years, readers have submitted links to such, and I have been glad to get the contribution and post it to the site.

However, many newspapers have in the past couple of years have gone to "pay to view" -- that is, you go to the article and can view only the first few sentences or an incomplete article, and you must subscribe in order to view the full article.

As a general rule, I'm not posting links to newspaper articles that cannot be read for free.

I don't begrudge the newspapers. I could never figure out why they would give out their content for free in the first place. However, if they choose to go the "pay to read" route, I choose not to link to them.

I have kept a list of WV newspapers, and in the past have gone down the list periodically to scour out wrestling articles and link them up. Now many are "pay to view."

(Updated 12/15/16)

Pay to View
Beckley Register Herald
Bluefield Daily Telegraph
Calhoun Chronicle (no updates)
Hampshire Review
Lincoln Journal
Nicholas Chronicle

Still has free content
Braxton Citizens News
Clay County Free Press
Charleston Gazette
Clarksburg Exponent Telegram
East Liverpool Review
Elkins Inter-Mountain
Fairmont Times West Virginian
Fayette Tribune
Grafton Mountain Statesman
Huntington Herald Dispatch
Jackson Newspapers
Keyser Mineral Daily News Tribune
Lewisburg Mountain Messenger
Logan Banner
Martinsburg Journal News
Morgan Messenger (you get four articles per month)
Morgantown Dominion Post
Parkersburg News Sentinel
Point Pleasant Daily Register
Preston County News & Journal
Tyler Star News
Weirton Daily Times
Weston Democrat
Wetzel Chronicle
Wheeling Intelligencer / News Register

Sooo, if you submit a link to a newspaper article, and don't see it included on the front page, this is probably why.

And, if you know of any other WV Online newspaper which offers free content, let me know.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Return to “Comments Concerning This Website”