AAA 106 Review

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

AAA 106 Review

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:35 pm

Johnson of Woodrow Wilson is without a doubt, the #1 106 in AAA.

Martin of University was pinned in 1:04 by Johnson.

Owens of Spring Mills went the distance with Johnson and lost 4 to 0.

Martin is currently #2. Owens is currently #4.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Re: AAA 106 Review

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:23 am

Bearhugger wrote:Johnson of Woodrow Wilson is without a doubt, the #1 106 in AAA.

I'm not making a statement on the validity of the rankings, but I'm guessing you have seen enough wrestling to know that the criteria you are citing is not very accurate on the whole in trying to make the decision you're proposing to make. I've seen wrestlers wrestle an entire match soley trying not to get pinned while I've seen others wrestle an entire match trying to get the pin and get pinned. Not saying that's the case here. It's somewhat like looking at where wrestlers both placed in the same tournament without looking at how they were placed in the brackets. At least that's my opinion.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:28 pm

That South 106 is trending upward !

Bovinedowntheholler

Postby Bovinedowntheholler » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:33 pm

This post is biased. Bearhugger recently bashed Martin’s mom for questioning why he was using binoculars at WSAZ, when the EFHS kids pointed it out. I’d take everything he says with a grain of salt. He has a habit of threatening jobs, scholarships etc. if you don’t like what he posts.

Please take his opinion for what it’s worth and carry on.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:43 pm

KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:Johnson of Woodrow Wilson is without a doubt, the #1 106 in AAA.

I'm not making a statement on the validity of the rankings, but I'm guessing you have seen enough wrestling to know that the criteria you are citing is not very accurate on the whole in trying to make the decision you're proposing to make. I've seen wrestlers wrestle an entire match soley trying not to get pinned while I've seen others wrestle an entire match trying to get the pin and get pinned. Not saying that's the case here. It's somewhat like looking at where wrestlers both placed in the same tournament without looking at how they were placed in the brackets. At least that's my opinion.

1. In decision making, we have to use the best available information.

2. We do not have a lot of time to make the decision. The decision has to be made approximately high noon on Sunday.

3. We ALL have seen a lot of wrestling to come up with plenty of stories and memories to muddy the waters.

TWO cases need to be presented here.

The facts are as follows:

Owens stepped on the mat with Johnson, went the distance and only lost by a 4 to 0 decision.

Martin stepped on the mat with Johnson and lasted 1:04.

This is the case for Owens. What is the case for Martin?

Which makes a better finals match? A 4 to 0 decision or a 1:04 pin?

The ideal solution would be to select a pill that put Martin and Owens on the SAME side of the bracket. Then the two wrestlers decide and both tribes can be satisifed.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:31 pm

Bovinedowntheholler wrote:This post is biased. Bearhugger recently bashed Martin’s mom for questioning why he was using binoculars at WSAZ, when the EFHS kids pointed it out. I’d take everything he says with a grain of salt. He has a habit of threatening jobs, scholarships etc. if you don’t like what he posts.

He needs to come down to the “ front row” with me and the other South Siders.

Bovinedowntheholler

Postby Bovinedowntheholler » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:35 pm

Doyablameme? wrote:
Bovinedowntheholler wrote:This post is biased. Bearhugger recently bashed Martin’s mom for questioning why he was using binoculars at WSAZ, when the EFHS kids pointed it out. I’d take everything he says with a grain of salt. He has a habit of threatening jobs, scholarships etc. if you don’t like what he posts.

He needs to come down to the “ front row” with me and the other South Siders.

Can we get this guy a mat side pass?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:42 pm

I use binoculars so I can see long distances. I get asked all of the time what the score board says because many cannot see that far. The only habit I have is stating facts that can be proven.

Bovinedowntheholler

Postby Bovinedowntheholler » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:44 pm

Doyablameme? wrote:That South 106 is trending upward !

South’s 106 should’ve definitely been ranked higher. Don’t count him out. He’ll hit the podium at states

Bovinedowntheholler

Postby Bovinedowntheholler » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:47 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

I use binoculars so I can see long distances. I get asked all of the time what the score board says because many cannot see that far. The only habit I have is stating facts that can be proven.
I’m sure. We all do it.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:52 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

2. We do not have a lot of time to make the decision. The decision has to be made approximately high noon on Sunday.

3. We ALL have seen a lot of wrestling to come up with plenty of stories and memories to muddy the waters.

Owens stepped on the mat with Johnson, went the distance and only lost by a 4 to 0 decision.

The ideal solution would be to select a pill that put Martin and Owens on the SAME side of the bracket. Then the two wrestlers decide and both tribes can be satisifed.

Please take these facts for what they're worth and carry on.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:53 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

I understand. Just leave it to those EFHS kids to stir things up (just kidding). Still, I'm willing to save you that seat on the front row. However, two things. First, you'll have to listen to me talk the whole day. Second, you'll have to share you binoculars.

Bovinedowntheholler

Postby Bovinedowntheholler » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:02 pm

KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

I understand. Just leave it to those EFHS kids to stir things up (just kidding). Still, I'm willing to save you that seat on the front row. However, two things. First, you'll have to listen to me talk the whole day. Second, you'll have to share you binoculars.
Save me a seat too so I can hear the other side of the story. Wherever it started, bashing a concerned mom and slinging threats via private message are never cool. The behavior by bearhugger has created quite the stir. Definitely took a hit to credibility, in my opinion.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:06 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

This post snuck in before my last post. What I had previously typed (but my posts keep getting lost because the forum keeps asking for my log in after I have already logged in) is that, after looking at the issue more closely I believe the real question has nothing to do with Martin, but rather why is Volk ranked third. He was beat at WSAZ by both Martin and their JV wrestler (who is quite good). I'm not slamming Volk, just wondering if Owens should be at least at third and not 4th. Whether Owens should be at second or not is a whole other question and really a moot point at this time.
Last edited by KDunbar on Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coach_Asbury

Postby Coach_Asbury » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:07 pm

Volk has been ranked #2 for the majority of the season. University's wrestler (Martin) beat Volk 12-0. If it was true that Volk was the #2, and was MD and almost tech-falled, it makes sense that the winner of that match is deserving of the #2s spot. Wins speak louder than "Close losses".

Martin also pinned Phillips (PS), where Owens has a decision over Phillips. Again, wins speak louder than "close losses." You can stall / shut down to get a close loss. You can't stall to a pin / Major.

Edit: If this is a post arguing that it should go Martin, Owens, Volk, I would not be against that. However, with the new system, ranks 3&4 are meaningless and should be settled by the wrestling in Huntington. Ranks 1&2 are the only ones with any 'weight' to it.
Last edited by Coach_Asbury on Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:09 pm

KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

This post snuck in before my last post. What I had previously typed (but my posts keep getting lost because the forum keeps asking for my log in after I have already logged in) is that, after looking at the issue more closely I believe the real question has nothing to do with Martin, but rather why is Volk ranked third. He was beat at WSAZ by both Martin and their JV wrestler (who is quite good). I'm not slamming Volk, just wondering if Owens should be at third and not 4th. Whether Owens should be at second or not is a whole other question and really a moot point at this time.

Lets make this as simple and factual as we can. Lets all answer these questions:

1. WHY is Johnson #1?

2. WHY is Martin #2?

3. WHY is Volk #3?

4. Why is Owens #4?

Let me know if I need to use my binoculars to see the details.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:19 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

This post snuck in before my last post. What I had previously typed (but my posts keep getting lost because the forum keeps asking for my log in after I have already logged in) is that, after looking at the issue more closely I believe the real question has nothing to do with Martin, but rather why is Volk ranked third. He was beat at WSAZ by both Martin and their JV wrestler (who is quite good). I'm not slamming Volk, just wondering if Owens should be at third and not 4th. Whether Owens should be at second or not is a whole other question and really a moot point at this time.

Lets make this as simple and factual as we can. Lets all answer these questions:

1. WHY is Johnson #1?

2. WHY is Martin #2?

3. WHY is Volk #3?

4. Why is Owens #4?

I believe that possibly Owens should be at Number 3 and Volk at 4th. Whether Volk stays at 4th will be decided in two days. But unlike you, I have not tracked Volk this year or kept track of results in an organized fashion. So, not based on last years stuff (as your rankings started out with understandably), what do you think? You may have the most informed opinion and the least biased.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:50 pm

KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

1. WHY is Johnson #1?

2. WHY is Martin #2?

3. WHY is Volk #3?

4. Why is Owens #4?

I believe that possibly Owens should be at Number 3 and Volk at 4th. Whether Volk stays at 4th will be decided in two days. But unlike you, I have not tracked Volk this year or kept track of results in an organized fashion. So, not based on last years stuff (as your rankings started out with understandably), what do you think? You may have the most informed opinion and the least biased.

I have asked the four questions. The masses can provide their own answers.

Martin Mom

Postby Martin Mom » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:19 pm

While I appreciate the support, the Martins will be taking the high road on this one. It's been a tough year for our family and nothing makes this mama's heart happier than to see how well the kids get along on the podium and off the mat. They've all worked hard this year and deserve a round of applause.

Lest we all forget, they are all still kids with real world things going on behind the scenes. Maybe our time would be best spent promoting the many college wrestling programs in the state, featuring adults.

standincoach

Postby standincoach » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:09 am

Maybe its obvious? But what’s the binoculars issue?

Return to “High School Wrestling”