Why have conferences for wrestling?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
surprise195

Why have conferences for wrestling?

Postby surprise195 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:29 am

As a parent of a wrestler that plays 2 other sports why is the conferences in wrestling? I have noticed that some teams don't wrestle each other until conference unlike football or baseball where it is built in the schedule. I think this makes it easy to pick and choose who and when you want to wrestle and can dodge certain opponents to keep record safe for conference settings. Plus you have teams that haven't faced each other in regions. I am just wondering why wrestling is so different when it comes to competing in a conference.

coach_williams

Re: Why have conferences for wrestling?

Postby coach_williams » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:46 am

To compete at states you must place at conference. Your record only matters at conference for seeding purposes and if you are any good you will have to face the wrestlers you have been dodging anyway, assuming you were dodging them because they are good.

surprise195

Postby surprise195 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:03 am

I thought regions is where you got your seeing for states. Is it because it's more individualized sport?

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:39 am

I think Coach Williams meant to say regions instead of conference. In my opinion the conferences don't really matter that much. To win the OVAC which is probably the toughest conference that any of the WV teams belongs to is really just about bragging rights and wrestling some tough schools. You don't even have to belong to a conference.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Because each conference has a school champion (and some conferences have all sports conference champs). As far as wrestling whoever you want.....some schools do that to get better competition. In the end, it doesn't matter who wins conference championship....just like it doesnt matter who wins the individual tournament one is wresting in.

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Armybuddy1257,
How can you compare the ovac or any conference to the coalfield conference.
The best wrestling in wv takes place along I 64

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:35 pm

I love to watch the OVAC tournament. But I would rather see my team wrestling at home against the likes of Indy, Ripley, Huntington, Cabell, St Albans, Wheeling Park, JM, University and others and would like to see them add East Fairmont, North Marion and Farimont Senior and other AA/A schools. It doesn't matter if you are an AAA or AA/A school, the guy you are facing across the line from you doesn't have that designation on his singlet. I'd rather see more tri's and quads take place on a rotating basis like Ripley, Point and South are having tonight. Give the fans who support the programs something to watch in their hometowns.
Moderator WV Mat

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:38 pm

Frank, maybe we could arrange a Coalfield vs OVAC dual?

You must however, leave your shirt on! :o
Moderator WV Mat

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:43 pm

Gator I'm trying to get armyboy fired up

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Not Parkersburg fans

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:13 pm

Yeah I meant region, not conference...hopefully I will wake up by quitting time :)

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:24 pm

surprise195 wrote:As a parent of a wrestler that plays 2 other sports why is the conferences in wrestling? I have noticed that some teams don't wrestle each other until conference unlike football or baseball where it is built in the schedule. I think this makes it easy to pick and choose who and when you want to wrestle and can dodge certain opponents to keep record safe for conference settings. Plus you have teams that haven't faced each other in regions. I am just wondering why wrestling is so different when it comes to competing in a conference.

When you said "in football its built in the schedule", not true. Many schools (especially in AA) avoid playing the schools that are in their very own conference. For example, the Big Ten(13), schools like Fairmont Senior who( currently only has 9 games, 10 games is a regular full schedule) and Bridgeport play non conference games against AAA schools like university, wheeling park , Jefferson because many of the schools in the Big 13 would rather play a single A school than them. It begs the question what's the point of a conference? This happens in almost every high school football conference in the state, so wrestling is not the only sport.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm

I think Wood County Middle School and Recreation are the only conferences that have a regular season. All other conferences just have championships and possible a dual championship in wrestling.

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Ole Frank. I was going to actually mention the Coalfield and MSAC conference also but didn't want anybody to start crying about how I left their conference out so I just used the MSAC as an example. Liam is looking good this year. Wish I was in WV to get to see him in person. Hopefully they will have a feed to the state tourney I can watch. And Gator I have seen him with his shirt off many time... SCARY!

Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Don t listen to armyscott,
It should be on everybody's bucket list.
To see Frank without a shirt.
Builds self esteem in some and a smile on everyone else's face

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:21 pm

Frank wrote:Don t listen to armyscott,
It should be on everybody's bucket list.
To see Frank without a shirt.
Builds self esteem in some and a smile on everyone else's face

Um, as a former witness to shirtless Frank, I can testify that no one is left with a smile on their face but Frank :lol:

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:29 pm

But it does make for cheap entertainment and Frank is a willing participant! :lol:
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”