State freestyle tournament

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mattman

State freestyle tournament

Postby mattman » Tue May 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Curious of how many entries? Looked at the results from last year and the entries were low, especially in the younger age divisions. Get them entries in there fellas. Off season work will pay off in February

Realwrestling

Re: State freestyle tournament

Postby Realwrestling » Thu May 05, 2016 1:15 am

Mattman-
I agree, summer wrestling makes winter champions

John Smith and other high profile coaches are trying to get rid of the 'Yankee style" (folkstyle) wrestling and do more freestyle to prepare our wrestlers to compete against the World

I hope it passes and kids..go wrestle Freestyle and even Greco..it is where the real studs are!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu May 05, 2016 10:54 am

mattman wrote:Curious of how many entries? Looked at the results from last year and the entries were low, especially in the younger age divisions. Get them entries in there fellas. Off season work will pay off in February

All wrestlers better be doing work in the weight room (strength and injury prevention) also.

This past season included many returning state place winners who went UP 2-3 weight classes and in return, went DOWN a few spots on the podium.

In addition, we also had some returning state place winners who went down on the podium (missed the podium completely), due to injuries.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Realwrestling

Postby Realwrestling » Fri May 06, 2016 12:27 am

I say technique over strength any day!
Look at the late Dave Schultz, he hardly ever lifted but he had the most amazing skill set.

I understand spend some time in the gym will help but I would say 80-20!

Meaning 80% on the mat and 20% in the weight room or doing some other form of cardio
Just got back from the Nationals and all of the big muscle bound boys got whooped by a more technique wrestler

Frank

Postby Frank » Fri May 06, 2016 9:54 am

Realwrestling wrote:I say technique over strength any day!
Look at the late Dave Schultz, he hardly ever lifted but he had the most amazing skill set.

Meaning 80% on the mat and 20% in the weight room or doing some other form of cardio
Just got back from the Nationals and all of the big muscle bound boys got whooped by a more technique wrestler

I don't know about all of that?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri May 06, 2016 10:42 am

Realwrestling wrote:I say technique over strength any day!

There are exceptions to all rules in all things. In conversations like this, the exception is almost always brought up and used as the rule of thumb. I saw Dave Shultz wrestle live at the World Cup in Toledo in 1983. He got second place to a Russian. The Russian definitely was the faster and stronger of the two. Dave went on and won a Gold Medal. I am not sure if all countries attended the Olympics that year. Dave then failed to make the Olympic team a second time in losing out to Kenny Monday. Kenny was also a stronger and faster wrestler.

Strength is a foundation for everything. If you’re not strong enough to maintain a position, you won’t, which means you won’t have optimal technique. You need optimal mobility to attain a position, and you have to have optimal strength to maintain it.

Weight training also prevents injuries. All the technique in the world will do you no good if you are on the sidelines with a blown out knee.

We (coaches, dads, moms and fans) can all decide what to focus on. We live and die, win and lose, by our decisions.

As a fan, my strong opinions are reinforced each year by my observations of watching many wrestlers, from many schools, that I have zero affiliation with. The next biggest influence in my opinions are my own mistakes made when I wrestled. I hate to see kids make the same mistakes.

Good luck. Plenty of time before wrestling season begins. A wrestler will be better prepared if he can squat his body weight 10+ times and be able to do 10+ chinups, rather than working on a lateral drop and a spladle.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Repoman1304

Postby Repoman1304 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:51 pm

I think both statements are true however in my own experience watching my own son he has won tons of matches because he is stronger than his opponent that was better technically. He started later than most wrestlers and lives on the pull up bar and is an exercise freak. He is gaining technique but relies a lot on his strength when facing a better opponent. I would say off season a guy should definitely get stronger and spend as much time on the mat as possible.

Realwrestling

Postby Realwrestling » Sat May 07, 2016 7:01 pm

Well Frank when you can get out of WV and actually go to a National Event like the World Cup/Open Nationals in Vegas you will see for yourself.

Bearhugger, wrestling is a combination of both, strength, stamina and cardio being one and the other is technique,

But going to camps and wrestle as much as you can will help your chances of being a state champion!

Cardio and Cardio!!!!
Wrestle for 2 hours and lift for 30 is the new OTC recommendation

Enjoy and have a enjoyable summer everyone!
Out

Repoman1304

Postby Repoman1304 » Sun May 08, 2016 8:48 am

I HAVE A NEW FAVORITE! FREESTYLE WRESTLING IS AWESOME AND FUN TO WATCH. THE FAST PACE OF THE MATCHES AND DIFFERENT RULES MAKE IT EXCITING. MY SON SAID HE ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT ABD WANTS TO KEEP DOING IT. THIS STYLE REQUIRES STRENGTH STAMINA AND TECHNIQUE! HAD A BLAST YESTERDAY IT WAS MY SONS FIRST TIME IN FREESTYLE AND WILL NOT BE THE LAST. THANK YOU PARKERSBURG AND EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THAT TOURNAMENT IT WAS OUTSTANDING!

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun May 08, 2016 10:34 am

Realwrestling wrote:Well Frank when you can get out of WV and actually go to a National Event like the World Cup/Open Nationals in Vegas you will see for yourself.

Bearhugger, wrestling is a combination of both, strength, stamina and cardio being one and the other is technique,

But going to camps and wrestle as much as you can will help your chances of being a state champion!

Cardio and Cardio!!!!
Wrestle for 2 hours and lift for 30 is the new OTC recommendation

Enjoy and have a enjoyable summer everyone!
Out

If I ever get the opportunity Ill do that.
Thanks

Return to “High School Wrestling”