New High School State Tournament Format

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
maskedman

New High School State Tournament Format

Postby maskedman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Not my idea at all, was snow balled as an idea today by someone else, and thought it would be fun to see responses.

No more regionals at all.

A Tournament - All Teams invited - they just did it in Ritchie County.

AA Tournament - 35 or 36 Teams - All invited - place top 8.

AAA Tournament - 29 Teams - All invited - place top 8.

JV Tournament - All Class JV Championship - place top 6.

You now have three state champions, Team Races are decided by class at their individual tournament. Now the top 5 from each of the individual class tournaments and the champion of the JV tournament make it to an all-class tourney. That is the top 5 from A, AA, AAA and the JV Champion. 16 Man Brackets, All Class Tourney.

Again, not my idea, but it was another idea for those of you looking for change.

mike.carman

Re: New High School State Tournament Format

Postby mike.carman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Won't fly. Right now there are 2 regional tournaments for each region. That is 8 tournaments. Plus, essentially, 2 state tournaments in the same venue. That is 10 tournaments total. Replacing them with 4 won't fly due to funds. Not saying regional tournaments for AAA make much money but they do make some. You would be taking revenue away from wrestling doing this. Your A/AA regionals can be 2 day tournaments.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:11 pm

mike.carman wrote:Won't fly. Right now there are 2 regional tournaments for each region. That is 8 tournaments. Plus, essentially, 2 state tournaments in the same venue. That is 10 tournaments total. Replacing them with 4 won't fly due to funds. Not saying regional tournaments for AAA make much money but they do make some. You would be taking revenue away from wrestling doing this. Your A/AA regionals can be 2 day tournaments.

Often I read on the forum where "revenue" from the regional tournaments is mentioned. I have never seen any actual data that shows anything indicating net earnings.

For example:

AAA region 4 makes money from what sources? Admissions? Concessions? The cost to put of the tournament is what? Ref fees? Increased electricity due to the gym being used on a Saturday?

Who gets the earnings? Does the WVSSAC have a representation counting the tickets sold as people walk in? Who tracks the costs of goods sold for the concession stand?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mike.carman wrote:Won't fly. Right now there are 2 regional tournaments for each region. That is 8 tournaments. Plus, essentially, 2 state tournaments in the same venue. That is 10 tournaments total. Replacing them with 4 won't fly due to funds. Not saying regional tournaments for AAA make much money but they do make some. You would be taking revenue away from wrestling doing this. Your A/AA regionals can be 2 day tournaments.

Often I read on the forum where "revenue" from the regional tournaments is mentioned. I have never seen any actual data that shows anything indicating net earnings.

For example:

AAA region 4 makes money from what sources? Admissions? Concessions? The cost to put of the tournament is what? Ref fees? Increased electricity due to the gym being used on a Saturday?

Who gets the earnings? Does the WVSSAC have a representation counting the tickets sold as people walk in? Who tracks the costs of goods sold for the concession stand?

Great questions. I'm sure if you truly want answers, I would ask the AD's or each school for a financial break down. If it's the WVSSAC who receives the money, ask them. Both are government entities and bound by law to release financials upon request. Don't get me wrong. I like the idea myself.
Last edited by mike.carman on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Placing top 5 from each class and 1 from JV makes sense for filling a 16 man bracket, but I got $20 that says someone is going to be upset that a JV wrestler goes to states while the #6 guy from one of the classes doesn't. There has been almost a constant complaint on here for weeks that a ranked wrestler from one region will miss states while unranked wrestlers from other regions will go to states. Those same people will be unhappy that their ranked, 6th place wrestler watches while an unranked JV wrestler goes. Mark my words.

For me personally, I like the concept.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:35 pm

I line the idea for the wrestlers, more the better for the long term of the sport!

Sadly revenue probably does matter but not sure about how things may balance out if schools do not spend their money for the costs of the regionals it may be a good sell for ADs and the SSAC to look at.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:55 pm

mike.carman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

For example:

Great questions. I'm sure if you truly want answers, I would ask the AD's or each school for a financial break down. If it's the WVSSAC who receives the money, ask them. Both are government entities and bound by law to release financials upon request. Don't get me wrong. I like the idea myself.

I guess we can all glance at the audience of the given regional tournament we attend and get an estimate of how many folks are there. Multiply that by the admission cost and then we have an idea. Deduct whatever refs make. I really doubt it is some over-whelming amount of money.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:02 pm

coach_williams wrote:Placing top 5 from each class and 1 from JV makes sense for filling a 16 man bracket, but I got $20 that says someone is going to be upset that a JV wrestler goes to states while the #6 guy from one of the classes doesn't. There has been almost a constant complaint on here for weeks that a ranked wrestler from one region will miss states while unranked wrestlers from other regions will go to states. Those same people will be unhappy that their ranked, 6th place wrestler watches while an unranked JV wrestler goes. Mark my words.

For me personally, I like the concept.

I have waved the JV flag more than anybody. I ONLY support the JV being in the regional tournament. They wrestle, they win enough to qualify, then they go.

As this season winds down, I am not knowledgeable of any JV AAA wrestler that would qualify for the states through regionals. On the other hand, I know of at least three JV wrestlers that I know would qualify. Three wrestlers isn't going to unsettle the strong foundation that WV wrestling sits on.

PS: I welcome all input of other JV wrestlers that have remained deep undercover this season.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:46 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

For example:

I guess we can all glance at the audience of the given regional tournament we attend and get an estimate of how many folks are there. Multiply that by the admission cost and then we have an idea. Deduct whatever refs make. I really doubt it is some over-whelming amount of money.

I'm sure it's very little. But some programs that might be all they get.

Rage_Bear

Postby Rage_Bear » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:23 pm

mike.carman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

I'm sure it's very little. But some programs that might be all they get.

Well, what if they charge 500 for custodial fees and 300 for security? Also, don't forget they pull in 100% of the profit on concessions. Also, what if they still manage to "lose money?" Oh yeah, that's right! They charge all of the participating schools the expenditure on the tournament.

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:29 pm

This is the best idea I have heard so far. I really like it. I get the money thing but maybe allow a few more weigh ins to create more revenue opportunities. Too good of an idea to let losing regionals stand in the way.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:39 pm

I can tell you for sure that the refs don't make much. Most of them do it for the love of the sport and comradery they enjoy.

Jeremy Callum was calling the South/Indy dual in Coal City and they had the taco/burrito contest during the middle of the matches. He came over to get some water and was sweating. I told him to go get a taco and he said he still 5 or 6 matches to go.( giving an upchuck sign!) I thought he did a good job that night.

If high school wrestling made that much income, you'd see more AD's and administration supporting it. I'm guessing it's not as much as you think.
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:14 am

Gator wrote:I can tell you for sure that the refs don't make much. Most of them do it for the love of the sport and comradery they enjoy.

Jeremy Callum was calling the South/Indy dual in Coal City and they had the taco/burrito contest during the middle of the matches. He came over to get some water and was sweating. I told him to go get a taco and he said he still 5 or 6 matches to go.( giving an upchuck sign!) I thought he did a good job that night.

If high school wrestling made that much income, you'd see more AD's and administration supporting it. I'm guessing it's not as much as you think.

A principal and an AD should support every sport and every club that their school has. That is what good leaders do!

Return to “High School Wrestling”