WV Wrestling Hall of Fame

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

WV Wrestling Hall of Fame

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:40 pm

My WV wrestling history is a little rusty but I do believe that Ken Chertow was the last WV wrestler to make the United States Olympic team. He is probably the ONLY WV wrestler to make the Olympic team. He is not in the WV Hall of Fame.

The irony in this is you could ask any wrestler, dad, mom, granny, pappy, town drunk, or local crack head if they have heard of Ken Chertow versus any of the last 20 HOF inductees. I wager that Chertow's name is more known.

WTF (Where's The Fame)
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Re: WV Wrestling Hall of Fame

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:45 pm

Regarding the five HOF inductees, I know who Troy Owens is. He was at Super 32 last year too. Although the other four inductees have probably contributed significantly to wrestling, I have not heard their names before. Ken Chertow? He was on the Olympic team.

WTF (Where's The Fame).

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:48 am

"Regarding the five HOF inductees, I know who Troy Owens is. He was at Super 32 last year too. Although the other four inductees have probably contributed significantly to wrestling, I have not heard their names before. Ken Chertow? He was on the Olympic team".

Bill Donohew was a state champ wrestling for Roger Jefferson back in 1967 give or take a year. He has coached Jr. High/Middle school for all of my 34 years as a wrestling official. He coached in Ohio County and Brooke County. he also officiated several years, the exact years I can't recall precisely. So from about 1967 until current day he has given wrestling a lifetime of dedication. I believe that qualifies him as an inductee.

Now for Ken. I'm surprised he is not in the Hall of Fame? If that is true that is an injustice and should be remedied. Soon!

aacoach30

Postby aacoach30 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:49 am

Bearhugger- nominate him. You have to be nominated before you can be inducted.

http://www.wvmat.com/hallfame/hallnom.pdf

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:45 pm

I agree that Ken Chertow is easily the most well known wrestler from WV. The question I ask is what has he done for wrestling in WV? When I look at the HOF and inductees I see a list of people who have dedicated their lives to promoting and supporting wrestling in our state. I have been to two tournaments in our state where Chertow was supposed to put on a clinic as part of the event and he never showed up. My .02 cents is a coach that spent 25 or 30 years of his life coaching in this state deserves to be recognized more than a wrestler who wrestled in the Olympics, left the state and never came back.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:41 pm

From the Editor:

Got this comment from Coach Bill Archer
-----------------------------------------------
According to the definition by Mike Clair, the person who started the state chapters to the National Wrestling Hall of Fame, a person should be considered for the Hall of Fame where he or she has done the most of their work. Ken wrestled for Penn State and has spent the last 25 years living close to Penn State. This is the state that should nominate him for their Hall of Fame. He is now coaching in another state and I am sure he would not say he is ready for an award that is for lifetime achievements. We have officials and coaches that live in Ohio but have coached and officiated in West Virginia. I had to ask them what I was to do with these types of nominations -- that is when they told me how to deal with this issue.

If you read the West Virginia Hall of Fame page you will see the won/lost records, (meaning it is not to honor great high school wrestlers). If you have any questions, the National Hall of Fame representative will be at the Hall of Fame Banquet next week and you can check out my statements. I can't and don't nominate people; but the people of West Virginia must understand how it works because this issue has not come up in 14 years. I do not know if Ken has been considered in Pennsylvania.

Bill Archer
State Chairman National Wrestling Hall of Fame West Virginia Chapter
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

hhs92

Postby hhs92 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:04 am

Leland G. Merrill, Jr (Parkersburg) 1948 Olympic Bronze Medalist and 3rd in the ncaa in 1942 for Michigan state.
He was coached at phs by ben Schwartzwalder huntington high class of 1929 and national championship winning coach in football at Syracuse.

http://www.wvmat.com/hallfame/merrill.htm

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:37 am

Ken Chertow had a great HS and college career.... He was however beaten soundly in the 1982 WV finals by South's Rich Underwood. Just a tidbit.

magna145

Postby magna145 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Ken Chertow had a great HS and college career.... He was however beaten soundly in the 1982 WV finals by South's Rich Underwood. Just a tidbit.

Are you suggesting that possibly the most well known wrestler, from West Virginia, be held out of the HOF because of one high school match? I'm not trying to incite an argument. However, if that's the case there would never be any need for a Hall of Fame, in any sport. Mention Chertow's name to a wrestling fan and the vast majority will recognize it. Mention Mr. Underwoods, outside of Parkersburg, and you'll likely get a blank stare. I'm sure Mr Underwood is an outstanding individual but his contribution to the sport, as compared to Chertow's, is minimal.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:27 pm

magna145 wrote:
Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Ken Chertow had a great HS and college career.... He was however beaten soundly in the 1982 WV finals by South's Rich Underwood. Just a tidbit.

Are you suggesting that possibly the most well known wrestler, from West Virginia, be held out of the HOF because of one high school match? I'm not trying to incite an argument. However, if that's the case there would never be any need for a Hall of Fame, in any sport. Mention Chertow's name to a wrestling fan and the vast majority will recognize it. Mention Mr. Underwoods, outside of Parkersburg, and you'll likely get a blank stare. I'm sure Mr Underwood is an outstanding individual but his contribution to the sport, as compared to Chertow's, is minimal.

The buzz back in 1982 was that Chertow made the finals as a Sophomore. He defeated an Oak Glen wrestler in route to make the finals. This same OG wrestler defeated Underwood in the regional tournament the week before. Underwood beat Chertow in the finals. Underwood was a returning state champion. Chertow was a sophomore. Back in those days, Ripley was the only AAA school that was 9 through 12. At the end of the night, a returning state champion defeated a sophomore. It wasn't that big of a deal because Chertow had not captured that much attention yet.

The following season, Chertow was highly talked about. He began the season at 119. Underwood began the season at 112. Both wrestlers began and stayed the season at these weight classes. Huntington had their own version of "Murderer's Row" with Chertow 119, Taylor 126 and St. Clair at 132. All three wrestlers went undefeated and won state championships in 1983. Underwood won the state title at 112. The buzz in 1983 was NEVER that Chertow was "wrestling up" or avoiding anybody. I do not think Underwood "went up" at any time to challenge Chertow either. Chertow was the state tournament MOW in 1983.

In 1984, Chertow was the talk of the state. He wrestled 126 and went undefeated, won the state title and got the MOW a second time. Being 126 as a senior validates Chertow being 119 the previous season. There was a buzz that other wrestlers should have got the MOW. Huntington's Taylor hit a leg kick back in the finals. He went from standing on one leg to getting the takedown and pinning his opponent. The following season, this move was deemed illegal per the rulebook (it is illegal in Judo now too). Parkersburg's Lantz won the title at 145 as a Sophomore which was unheard of back in those days.

No offense to my South friends, but as Chertow became more and more successful and famous, his 1982 defeat to Underwood grew and grew as a bigger deal within Wood county.

Heck, I have a friend who told me that he beat Chertow back in junior high(had to be 79, 80 or 81). This same friend quit the team and didn't wrestle as a senior. Chertow went on and became a member of the Olympic team.

PS: It would be difficult to recall and write this wrestling editorial if one was fried on Devil's Lettuce.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
magna145 wrote:

The buzz back in 1982 was that Chertow made the finals as a Sophomore. He defeated an Oak Glen wrestler in route to make the finals. This same OG wrestler defeated Underwood in the regional tournament the week before. Underwood beat Chertow in the finals. Underwood was a returning state champion. Chertow was a sophomore. Back in those days, Ripley was the only AAA school that was 9 through 12. At the end of the night, a returning state champion defeated a sophomore. It wasn't that big of a deal because Chertow had not captured that much attention yet.

The following season, Chertow was highly talked about. He began the season at 119. Underwood began the season at 112. Both wrestlers began and stayed the season at these weight classes. Huntington had their own version of "Murderer's Row" with Chertow 119, Taylor 126 and St. Clair at 132. All three wrestlers went undefeated and won state championships in 1983. Underwood won the state title at 112. The buzz in 1983 was NEVER that Chertow was "wrestling up" or avoiding anybody. I do not think Underwood "went up" at any time to challenge Chertow either. Chertow was the state tournament MOW in 1983.

In 1984, Chertow was the talk of the state. He wrestled 126 and went undefeated, won the state title and got the MOW a second time. Being 126 as a senior validates Chertow being 119 the previous season. There was a buzz that other wrestlers should have got the MOW. Huntington's Taylor hit a leg kick back in the finals. He went from standing on one leg to getting the takedown and pinning his opponent. The following season, this move was deemed illegal per the rulebook (it is illegal in Judo now too). Parkersburg's Lantz won the title at 145 as a Sophomore which was unheard of back in those days.

No offense to my South friends, but as Chertow became more and more successful and famous, his 1982 defeat to Underwood grew and grew as a bigger deal within Wood county.

Heck, I have a friend who told me that he beat Chertow back in junior high(had to be 79, 80 or 81). This same friend quit the team and didn't wrestle as a senior. Chertow went on and became a member of the Olympic team.

PS: It would be difficult to recall and write this wrestling editorial if one was fried on Devil's Lettuce.

Rich lost to Roger Kent of Wheeling Park in the region one finals, his only loss to a WV wrestler. (That I’m aware of anyway). I think he only lost a couple in his high school career, the other to an Ohio State champ, who he split 2 matches with at the Northwest Canal Fulton tournament.

It wasn’t like Chertow was an unknown Sophomore, he had only lost one match all year before Underwood dominated him in the finals. Ken went on to have a storied career at Huntington High, Penn State and later as an Olympic qualifier. Both of them were fun to watch on the mat, both small guys who gave you 6 minutes of non-stop go get it!
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Gator wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
magna145 wrote:Are you suggesting that possibly the most well known wrestler, from West Virginia, be held out of the HOF because of one high school match? I'm not trying to incite an argument. However, if that's the case there would never be any need for a Hall of Fame, in any sport. Mention Chertow's name to a wrestling fan and the vast majority will recognize it. Mention Mr. Underwoods, outside of Parkersburg, and you'll likely get a blank stare. I'm sure Mr Underwood is an outstanding individual but his contribution to the sport, as compared to Chertow's, is minimal.

Rich lost to Roger Kent of Wheeling Park in the region one finals, his only loss to a WV wrestler. (That I’m aware of anyway). I think he only lost a couple in his high school career, the other to an Ohio State champ, who he split 2 matches with at the Northwest Canal Fulton tournament.

It wasn’t like Chertow was an unknown Sophomore, he had only lost one match all year before Underwood dominated him in the finals. Ken went on to have a storied career at Huntington High, Penn State and later as an Olympic qualifier. Both of them were fun to watch on the mat, both small guys who gave you 6 minutes of non-stop go get it!

I stand corrected on the Oak Glen / Wheeling Park detail.

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:03 am

Chertow also has another very distinct honor that no one has mentioned he was named the "most annoying person in wrestling, not a close second " by Cael Sanderson. Anyone that distinguished deserves to be in the hall of fame I don't care which state inducts him.
is the devils cabbage the same as the devils lettuce?

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:34 pm

ZZChooseTop wrote:is the devils cabbage the same as the devils lettuce?

Lettuce just assume that it was an herb that most of us attempted to avoid but failed miserably!
Moderator WV Mat

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Cael Sanderson never met Frank Lusher.

Diamond

Postby Diamond » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:41 am

ZZChooseTop wrote:Chertow also has another very distinct honor that no one has mentioned he was named the "most annoying person in wrestling, not a close second " by Cael Sanderson. Anyone that distinguished deserves to be in the hall of fame I don't care which state inducts him.

I’ve never talked to Ken Chertow but I cannot imagine he is worse that Chael Sonnen. And back to this devils lettuce business...I felt bad all day about my comments so much so that I issued an apology. I log back on only to find its now a popular topic. I’m confused, am I inappropriate or a trend setter?

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:35 am

IndyHart wrote:Cael Sanderson never met Frank Lusher.

:lol:
Moderator WV Mat

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 am

magna145 wrote:

My .02 cents is that you just made a valid argument for Underwood, not Chertow. In spite of the name, being in the Hall of Fame is not about being famous or popular. Most football fans can't tell you who Dave Casper, George Halas, or Mike Muchak are while most people, even those who are not football fans, can tell you who Colin Kaepernick is, but I assure you that Kaepernick is not more worthy of the HOF than the other three.

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:37 pm

I am on the West Virginia HOF committee as well and I can assure you that all of the people nominated are checked out to make sure that they are worthy of induction and although some don't know who some of the nominees are I can assure you that they are indeed worthy of induction. That is not to say that some have been not been bypassed due to not being nominated or have not yet retired from the sport or were before some of the folks on this sites time. The folks inducted have to be nominated and have a minimum of 25 years in the sport. There are several folks from surrounding states that are in those states HOFs and cannot be inducted into ours under the format established by the HOF. As far as those who are not well known to the modern day folks there is an old saying that says learn the history of the sport in our great state before you truly know the sport!!! If you haven't been to the HOF banquet you should come and honor those going in as they have dedicated their lives to the sport. In addition you will see the who's who in the HOF and get a chance to pick their brains and talk to them and more importantly support the great sport of wrestling in WV. If you know of someone who is worthy please nominate them so they can achieve this great honor!!!!!! George Keeney

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:53 pm

One more point I wanted to reiterate was if you don't know who those folks are previously inducted, go to the HOF section on the front page and read their biographies and I you will find that every single one of them is indeed worthy of induction into the National Wrestling HOF West Virginia Chapter. George Keeney

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Diamond wrote:
ZZChooseTop wrote:Chertow also has another very distinct honor that no one has mentioned he was named the "most annoying person in wrestling, not a close second " by Cael Sanderson. Anyone that distinguished deserves to be in the hall of fame I don't care which state inducts him.

I’ve never talked to Ken Chertow but I cannot imagine he is worse that Chael Sonnen. And back to this devils lettuce business...I felt bad all day about my comments so much so that I issued an apology. I log back on only to find its now a popular topic. I’m confused, am I inappropriate or a trend setter?

I have forgotten about the Devil's Lettuce comment. Someday we will meet and it will be a joke. That is how goofy stuff plays out.

However, the folks on this site need to start talking more about wrestling and the indirect aspects of wrestling (weight management, injury prevention, skin disease prevention, maintain grades/rules, pursuing college opportunities and weight training).

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:00 am

I plan on attending the banquet with my dad. I'm an alumni of Troy University while taking night classes when serving in the military. I hope to get my Troy Trojans t-shirt autographed by the great Troy Owens at the banquet.

One of the inductees is Buddy James from Parkersburg. Coach James took over the intramural wrestling program at Jackson Jr. High from Hall of Famer A. James Manchin in 1960. Coach James held scrimmages against other local Jr. Highs in 1961 and in 1962 started the Wood County Jr. High League with schools Jackson, Franklin, Edison, Hamilton, VanDevender and Washington. The Wood County Middle School (Jr. High) League is the second oldest league in the state, 2 years older than the LKC which started in 1964. The OVAC is the oldest, having started around 1954. Coach James stayed with the Jr. High another two years and was then asst. wrestling coach at PHS for Bob Dutton until being hired as Head Football Coach in 1968. Coach James also officiated wrestling over ten years and his credited with starting the states first Jr. High programs. He is a former undefeated state champion his senior year and lettered in football and wrestling at Montana State and Marshall College. He made his mark in coaching football and retired as the all-times AAA win leaders in the state. He is being inducted as an Outstanding West Virginian.

I am not aware of the credentials of the other 3 individuals being inducted and I am anxious to hear their contributions.

Thanks - Brent

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:18 pm

This is from The Martins Ferry Times leader this past Sunday. I hope it satisfies any doubts as to Pete's credentials for his induction to the Hall Of Fame.

Thank You
Ray Marling
OVAC Official, Ret.

Cuffaro humbled by honor

Local Sports
Oct 22, 2017
Kim North

knorth@theintelligencer.net

WHEELING — Pete Cuffaro was in the prime of his life at 24 years of age. The Wheeling resident had recently graduated from West Virginia University and seemed to have a promising life ahead of him.

However, on June 25, 1983, his life changed forever. While at a private party, at which he strongly stressed drugs and alcohol were not present, he dove into a swimming pool thinking it was 8-foot deep. It was only half that depth and Cuffaro broke his neck, leaving him paralyzed from the neck down.
Instead of letting that derail him from his life’s goals, Cuffaro went through extensive rehabilitation. He is confined to a wheelchair but that hasn’t stopped him from following one of his true passions — high school wrestling. He has been instrumental in supporting and promoting the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference for nearly 50 years. Half of that time has been spent volunteering at the OVAC Ron Mauck Tournament held annually in mid-January.
For his dedication to the sport, Cuffaro and four others will be enshrined into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame W.Va. Chapter during a banquet on Sunday, Oct. 29 at the Embassy Suites in Charleston. Appropriately, he will receive the “Medal of Courage” award.
“I’m very humbled. When I had my diving accident I almost died,” he explained. “This is amazing. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for a lot of good people around me. This isn’t about Pete Cuffaro. I’ve had a lot of help and encouragement along the way.
“When they lifeflighted me out of Wheeling to Pittsburgh. They misread the x-rays and I walked out of the hospital,” he said. “It was later that evening when the paralysis started to set in and I had all the symptoms I returned to the hospital.
“I told people that I made a deal with God. I told him to just let me get back to Wheeling one more time. I just wanted to see Wheeling one more time,” he continued. “As a young man I took things for granted. I didn’t appreciate the trees around me, the wildlife, the different things … your in the fast lane.
“Once I got back to the valley all my friends started coming around. Some of them helped me build my body back up, but like I said, I wanted to put something back in the community that had been so good to me. There was one way I thought I could do it and Sam Mumley approached me. He was a great mentor of mine, and so was Rudy (Mumley). They didn’t want me to sit at home and dwell on things. They got me involved.
“I started out doing some OVAC football stuff and the next thing you know they’ve got me down here keeping the clock. Another thing was to motivate young people. Another group of guys that were good to me was some coaches at Bridge Street where I went to school. Fred Hare, Gene Monteleone, Phil Pest and Ron Gill. They used to bring me over and just let me watch practice … just to be around the team. I still stay in touch with a lot of those guys.”
Another way Cuffaro has given back to the community is through a scholarship he has been involved in since just after his accident.
“A dear friend of mine, Bob Burke and his wife, Delores, had a son, Danny, who was killed in a car accident west of the Wheeling Tunnel on I-70. Not sure what happened.”
Danny was a wrestler at Wheeling Park.
“I was at WVU as a student when I got a phone call telling me to get home as soon as possible because of what had happened,” he recalled. “I didn’t even have a car at that time, but a friend of mine lent me his. I was sort of a mentor to Danny because all kids are kind of ornery. I was friends with all the kids in the family. Danny was one of those kids that looked up to me because I pushed him a little harder than the other kids. I told him he needed to get involved, stay active and stay out of trouble.”
According to Cuffaro, the Burke’s started a scholarship fund but instead of sitting on that scholarship, investing in it and letting it grow without taking the principle out, right of the top they started taking money out for the scholarships. So, eventually, the fund dried up.
“My wife, Erin, and I took the scholarship over at that point. We put our own money in it and then another friend by the name of Andy Hogan came along and helped us out with some foundation money,” Cuffaro continued. “We were able to build that back up and set a trust up. We did everything right. I have a good friend who is a lawyer and he helped us get it setup. It’s a perpetual-type of thing, so the money is guaranteed. We have a good investment strategy.”
Cuffaro has presented the Daniel Burke Memorial Scholarship each year since 1984.
“We started giving $1,000 a year to an individual, but if we met a certain plateau, we might give out $2,000 or $2,500,” he added. “Every kid in the OVAC that is involved in a sport, I give them credit. Our scholarship is geared towards wrestling, but there are so many other scholarships out there.”
One thing he stressed was having the respective high school coaches urge the kids to apply for the scholarships.
“Some kids feel they’re not going to be eligible but there are a lot of things that are taken into consideration, such as a kid’s grades, their wrestling record and their service to their community and school,” he noted.
He also said the scholarship is setup where the awardee doesn’t have to go to college.
“College isn’t for everyone,” he said. “If someone wants to go to a trade school or whatever, we’re going to give them that scholarship to help them out.”
Cuffaro started wrestling in 7th grade. His first coach was Larry “Babe” Schmitt at Bridge Street Middle School.
“You’re not always going to win, and when you do have a setback, you have to look back and see what you did, what you can improve on and build strength from that. I was 175 pounds and we didn’t have a heavyweight. I couldn’t beat the freshman in front of me, so I went to coach and said ‘hey, we don’t have a heavyweight. What do you think about me wrestling heavyweight? Coach said, “that’ll be a tough road to go,’ but I said I didn’t care. I just wanted to wrestle and it would help us fill out the team.
“Some of those matches were really tough because we had some pretty big kids back then,” he continued. “I’ll never forget my first match. Coaches are always screaming at you to shoot, shoot because they don’t want you dancing around on the mat. I shot in on this guy that weighed about 230 and he just flattened me. I sprawled and fought like heck.
“We are challenged every day in life and that helped me through my ordeal. I had an opportunity to go to Linsly on an athletic scholarship after my 8th grade year. My biggest mistake my freshman year was not wrestling. I played basketball where I rode the oak. It was a poor decision on my part, but we learn from our mistakes.
“I was very blessed with great educators and great coaches. They always pushed you towards perfection. When you’ve done your best, you know you’ve done your best. If you only give 50 percent, you’re going to get what you put into whatever you do. But, if you go full tilt and still come up a little bit short, you know you gave it your best, but you’re still evaluating yourself. Even if you meet the goal you’ve set for yourself, you’re still setting another goal. That’s what competition is all about.
“That taught me a lot, especially when I was going through rehabilitation.
“I’d be remissed if I didn’t thank my mother and father, my aunt and my godmother,” he added. “When I got hurt I weighed 215 pounds and I went down to 140. They weened me back to health. My religious faith I received when I was in parochial school for three years really helped me, as well.
“The three good ‘F’ words in our society today are faith, friends and family. A triangle is the strongest thing there is structurally, but if one of those corners are missing, the thing collapses.”
Cuffaro is also a motivational speaker around the Ohio Valley. He said the youth of today don’t need catered to.
“When you enable youth today, you really disable them. They have to learn from their successes and failures. They need to know how to come back from adversity because athletics and academics prepare you for the bigger picture in life.”
COMMENTS
Last edited by wiseone on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Another article from The Martins Ferry Times leader on Bill Donohew. Bill will be inducted into the WV Hall Of Fame this Sunday in Charleston. While I agree with some of the comments on this thread about others who may be deserving of this honor the following words should clear up any concern about Bill's qualifications and inform those that may not be familiar with Bill about his dedication to wrestling in WV.

Thank You
Ray Marling
OVAC Official, Ret.

Donohew still giving back

Local Sports
Oct 22, 2017
Kim North

knorth@theintelligencer.net

WARWOOD — Bill Donohew started wrestling as a junior at Charleston’s Stonewall Jackson High School in 1966. Fifty-one years later, he is still involved in the sport that he loves.

Due to his long-time dedication to the sport, Donohew will receive the “Lifetime Service to Wrestling” award and be inducted into the W.Va. Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame on Sunday, Oct. 29, during a banquet at the Embassy Suites in Charleston.
“This is definitely one of the top honors I have ever received,” Donohew, a Warwood resident, said. “I didn’t have any idea I was even up for it until Dr. (Bill) Welker called me. It is truly an honor.”
Donohew became Stonewall Jackson’s first state champion in 1967 when he prevailed at 167 pounds. He only lost twice during his prep days, but avenged both of those losses.
“I pinned one of the kids in the regional finals and then pinned the other in the state finals,” he recalled. “It was great to get some redemption against both of them.”
Following high school, Donohew, along with a set of twins he ran around with, were standing in front of the high school and said to each other, “what are we going to do now? What’s next because none of us wanted to go to college.
Then the phone call that changed Donohew’s life came. It was the head wrestling coach at Fairmont State College offering him a scholarship. He fashioned an impressive 4-year record of 45-6, won two West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championships and competed in the NAIA National Tournament as a sophomore.
“I had no intentions on going to college because school wasn’t my strength,” he admitted. “It was quite an experience, but I really didn’t dedicate myself to be the best like I could’ve. My wife, Jeanette, and I got married right out of high school and she went with me to Fairmont to help me get through school.
“Of course, I had to work as well, and even as good as my college career was, I don’t think it matched up with my high school career.”
In addition to competing in the NAIA Tournament as a sophomore for the Falcons, Donohew also qualified as a senior after being injured as a junior. However, he chose not to compete.
“I was just burned out on it (wrestling),” he said. “I had had enough.”
Donohew started his coaching career in 1971 at St. Marys (W.Va.) High School. In his two years, the Blue Devils won the Little Kanawha Conference title. He then matriculated to Wheeling where he coached and taught at Warwood High School. He was named the school’s assistant varsity wrestling coach and served from 1973-76.
In those years, the Vikings won team championships at the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference and West Virginia state tournaments.
In the fall of 1976, Warwood, Triadelphia and Wheeling Middle Schools consolidated to form Wheeling Park High School.
Donohew assumed the head wrestling coach at Warwood Junior High where his teams won numerous PAC-8 championships. He served in that capacity until 2003.
In 1982, he was named the OVAC Junior High Coach of the Year. Coincidentally, his son, Scott, won the same award 20 years later.
“That was another big highlight of my career,” he said of the father-son awards.
Following his retirement as a teacher in 2003, Donohew took the position of head wrestling coach at Follansbee Middle School, a job he still holds today. His Blue Wave have captured numerous BMAC championships.
“Wrestling is what got me to college and to this point in my life,” he offered.
“It was always my first love and I’ll continue coaching it until I can’t coach it anymore.”
Donohew and his wife, Jeanette, reside in Warwood Terrace. They are the parents of two children, Kelli and Scott, and have three grandchildren, Chelsea, Bethany and Brett.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 pm

For the group. I have re-read my opening comments and I do not see where I questioned any inductee's qualifications or not deserving to be inducted. I did say I had not heard of them, but my wrestling history is rusty.

I do not recall anybody else questioning anybody's qualifications either.

After a few days of thinking, I personally see no problem with a given person being inducted into the hall of fame in numerous states. If a person has made a mark on the sport of wrestling in many states, then they truly love the sport.

In conclusion, I do not recall such informative feedback on the forum, about the HOF inductees, over the past 4-5 years.

mscoach90

Postby mscoach90 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:33 am

Troy Owens: NAIA All-American, 4th at 1988 Olympic Trials, 9 year member of 1st team All-Army. Congratulations to all inductee's and I'm sure Ken Chertow will not be left out in future ceremonies . A special shout out to Troy, you have been a factor in many wrestlers careers including mine.

Thanks Brother
John

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:16 pm

Bearhugger: I think what upset people was the WTF Where's the Fame comment!! I'm sure you meant no harm but..... As I stated once before know the history and you will be amazed at some of the qualifications of the prior inductees!!!! George Keeney

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:58 pm

wv16refgk wrote:Bearhugger: I think what upset people was the WTF Where's the Fame comment!! I'm sure you meant no harm but..... As I stated once before know the history and you will be amazed at some of the qualifications of the prior inductees!!!! George Keeney

I never questioned or challenged the history and/or qualifications of any inductee. I specifically brought up Ken Chertow. By raising the topic, a wealth of good information regarding the Hall of Fame in general has surfaced. I do not recall such dialogue regarding the HOF in the past 3-4 years here on the forum.

Return to “High School Wrestling”