Can't Ignore the Numbers

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Can't Ignore the Numbers

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:07 am

Recently, I heard that a WV middle school had 59 wrestlers sign up for wrestling. Another WV middle school in a neighboring county had zero wrestlers show up. My sources are the coaches, so these numbers are true.

Using these numbers and fast forward four to five years, one high school could have wrestlers 2 to 3 deep in each weight class. The other high school may not even have a team.

Both middle schools feed high schools that have long running wrestling traditions.

To evolve with the times, we need a "WV Open" format either at the state tournament or at the regional level. Some towns are maintaining decades of wrestling strength. Some towns cannot sustain.

In similar news, Parkersburg South has situations brewing where they will have at least two wrestlers, two different weight classes, where they will have B team wrestlers who would qualify, possible place, for the state tournament. Independence could have 1 to 2 wrestlers in the same boat. Good luck!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

figure4match

Re: Can't Ignore the Numbers

Postby figure4match » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 am

This sport needs to be promoted from the youth level up in a positive way. I can't stand the thought that every child should get an award for showing up. Some maybe most counties do very little to promote organized Middle School teams. And, we have area's that should be booming with kids but no backing from the area, region or state.
You can see the area's were the High School coach has a major influence in promoting this sport in their respective draw area (if he's worth a darn you can't blame them) on a youth level. I really hope that the WVYWA holds true to it's commitment in helping the growth for this sport in all area's of this state. And with that you can't judge the kids in middle school or the rising Freshman that didn't come from a Middle School program on how good they'll be or discount them. We do have some really good clubs that have done a fantastic job and you have and will see those kids on the state podium.
The desire that we all have in the growth of wrestling and validity that it has or doesn't have on a national stage but we all want to achieve.
It doesn't really matter until we realize that it takes a village to raise our sport.

Just my two cents!!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:43 pm

I have no idea what school you are talking about, but it seems odd that not a single wrestler would sign up for the middle school in a county that has a "long running wrestling tradition" at the high school and there not be an underlying issue.

What do you mean by a "WV Open" format?

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:55 pm

One middle school will not have a team because there was no one to coach.

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:23 pm

NhsMom wrote:One middle school will not have a team because there was no one to coach.

We should send the coach without a team to the team without a coach

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:31 pm

NhsMom wrote:One middle school will not have a team because there was no one to coach.

That's an administration problem. One that I'm sure there to lazy to fix and they either hope it goes away or someone else will fix.

fireman

Postby fireman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Before everyone starts,,,,,,, look at how these small towns are drying up. There is no work, so A LOT of families are moving to find work. Some areas are booming and some are done. The schools are losing money. So the costs for the athletes who stay is rising. It is getting unaffordable. Constant fundraisers are draining these small towns businesses. I give when I can but it's all year long. Constantly someone is asking for money to fund a sporting event. It will get worse unless big business start coming in and putting people to work. Just my observation.
Plus---- kids are lazy
Plus--- coaches tell athletes to focus on one sport.

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Frank wrote:

That's an administration problem. One that I'm sure there to lazy to fix and they either hope it goes away or someone else will fix.

Administration can’t fix no applicants. Parents knew the coach was moving up with his son. No one stepped up.

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 pm

NhsMom wrote:
Frank wrote:

Administration can’t fix no applicants. Parents knew the coach was moving up with his son. No one stepped up.

Supply and demand.
Administration should offer a better salary to attract another worthy coach or coach the team themselves.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:40 pm

fireman wrote:Before everyone starts,,,,,,, look at how these small towns are drying up. There is no work, so A LOT of families are moving to find work. Some areas are booming and some are done. The schools are losing money. So the costs for the athletes who stay is rising. It is getting unaffordable. Constant fundraisers are draining these small towns businesses. I give when I can but it's all year long. Constantly someone is asking for money to fund a sporting event. It will get worse unless big business start coming in and putting people to work. Just my observation.
Plus---- kids are lazy

Coaches do want them to focus on one sport, I like wrestling but don’t want to do it year round, most kids do not either.

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:06 am

vortexfan wrote:
fireman wrote:Before everyone starts,,,,,,, look at how these small towns are drying up. There is no work, so A LOT of families are moving to find work. Some areas are booming and some are done. The schools are losing money. So the costs for the athletes who stay is rising. It is getting unaffordable. Constant fundraisers are draining these small towns businesses. I give when I can but it's all year long. Constantly someone is asking for money to fund a sporting event. It will get worse unless big business start coming in and putting people to work. Just my observation.
Plus---- kids are lazy

Coaches do want them to focus on one sport, I like wrestling but don’t want to do it year round, most kids do not either.

Every team/school has issues such as this. This includes the bigger and better wrestling schools. I am not going to mention a schools name, but there is even a football coach in the city of pkb that discourages football players to wrestle, yet in the same breath wants wrestlers to play football. Makes a lot of sense right? With this type of logic, it is no wonder that they don't have a successful football program.
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 pm

I could name at least two principals in Wood County that would make sure there were kids to wrestle ! Both make sure the kids are involved and active in something.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Agree with the open tournament for regionals and/or states! Probably should be thinking about the future and not wait until the numbers prove themselves and competition diminishes and excitement dwindles.

dontlikethelights

Postby dontlikethelights » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Frank wrote:
NhsMom wrote:
Frank wrote:That's an administration problem. One that I'm sure there to lazy to fix and they either hope it goes away or someone else will fix.

Supply and demand.
Administration should offer a better salary to attract another worthy coach or coach the team themselves.

6.4.a. The coach is employed under a contract with a county board of education which specifies a rate of pay equivalent to the rate for professional educators who accept similar duties as extra duty assignments and which provided for liability insurance associated with the activity - copied from WVSSAC's webpage. A school can't just throw money out there to land a coach or better coach, it's not a free market.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:18 am

dontlikethelights wrote:
Frank wrote:
NhsMom wrote:

Supply and demand.

6.4.a. The coach is employed under a contract with a county board of education which specifies a rate of pay equivalent to the rate for professional educators who accept similar duties as extra duty assignments and which provided for liability insurance associated with the activity - copied from WVSSAC's webpage. A school can't just throw money out there to land a coach or better coach, it's not a free market.

If the administration finds value in the program, then they will find a way. No matter the rules, rules change to accommodate need. If they find no value in the program or the kids they will do nothing and let it drop

Rage_Bear

Postby Rage_Bear » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:49 am

dontlikethelights wrote:
Frank wrote:
NhsMom wrote:

Supply and demand.

There is certainly some pull. One AAA football coach makes 12,000 a year (in 2009). Another AAA football coach makes 5,000 (same number since 2006). (I don't feel like calling anyone out, but I've seen both postings). Both were AAA just a few years ago. So, there's something that somewhat resembles a "free market" here... if even just a little.

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 am

Frank wrote:
dontlikethelights wrote:
Frank wrote:Supply and demand.

If the administration finds value in the program, then they will find a way. No matter the rules, rules change to accommodate need. If they find no value in the program or the kids they will do nothing and let it drop

I don't know how familiar you are with the current economic climate in West Virginia, but times are tough and the school systems have all taken hits, you can't just make money magically appear. Many schools are struggling just to stay open, much less pay coaches big salaries. On top of that who really coaches for the money, most that I know spend more of their own money than they make.

Rage_Bear

Postby Rage_Bear » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 am

WrestlingFan1 wrote:
Frank wrote:
dontlikethelights wrote:

I don't know how familiar you are with the current economic climate in West Virginia, but times are tough and the school systems have all taken hits, you can't just make money magically appear. Many schools are struggling just to stay open, much less pay coaches big salaries. On top of that who really coaches for the money, most that I know spend more of their own money than they make.

There is a huge pay disparity, also, between a AAA coach from a more dense school district and one from a less dense district (urban vs. rural) despite a school with similar populations. Obviously, we don't coach for the money (heck, I need the work out), but it is nice to be able to cover our costs (if even minimally) or find our personal time worth something monetarily. Every day, I look at my finances and think, "man, I could really do well if I pick up a part time job after school." but then I remember how much I love wrestling and working with the kids. However, I don't blame people for needing to accept a paycheck, not even at all.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Rage_Bear wrote:
WrestlingFan1 wrote:
Frank wrote:If the administration finds value in the program, then they will find a way. No matter the rules, rules change to accommodate need. If they find no value in the program or the kids they will do nothing and let it drop

There is a huge pay disparity, also, between a AAA coach from a more dense school district and one from a less dense district (urban vs. rural) despite a school with similar populations. Obviously, we don't coach for the money (heck, I need the work out), but it is nice to be able to cover our costs (if even minimally) or find our personal time worth something monetarily. Every day, I look at my finances and think, "man, I could really do well if I pick up a part time job after school." but then I remember how much I love wrestling and working with the kids. However, I don't blame people for needing to accept a paycheck, not even at all.

If you have a person who will do it for the love of the sport and kids, count yourself luck and do all you can to show appreciation to that coach. If not you have to find another way to motivate a quality person to coach your sport. Cash is a good motivator. Today all athletic programs have some kind of fundraiseing program going on. You might need to do some fund raising to pay a coach or two if the administration doesn't find any value in your program.
No body said Finaces were easy and neither is speling,

Rage_Bear

Postby Rage_Bear » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:55 pm

Frank wrote:
Rage_Bear wrote:
WrestlingFan1 wrote:

If you have a person who will do it for the love of the sport and kids, count yourself luck and do all you can to show appreciation to that coach. If not you have to find another way to motivate a quality person to coach your sport. Cash is a good motivator. Today all athletic programs have some kind of fundraiseing program going on. You might need to do some fund raising to pay a coach or two if the administration doesn't find any value in your program.

I'm farily certun that there are laws in place preventun funrazors from supplumentung coach sallerees. Too be honust, I'm not won hunred per cents on that.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:31 pm

Rage_Bear wrote:
Frank wrote:
Rage_Bear wrote:

I'm farily certun that there are laws in place preventun funrazors from supplumentung coach sallerees. Too be honust, I'm not won hunred per cents on that.

I don't think so

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:42 pm

NhsMom: That is just sad............
Moderator WV Mat

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:49 pm

Gator wrote:

Agreed. And the parents were aware end of last year that the coach was not returning.

The administration is not a huge supporter of any sports either :/

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:56 pm

NhsMom wrote:
Gator wrote:

Agreed. And the parents were aware end of last year that the coach was not returning.

You would think that a parent or wrestling alumnus would step up for the kids. I don't know the wrestling history or school size you mention, but for people not to think of the kids first is an injustice.
Moderator WV Mat

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:16 am

Gator wrote:
NhsMom wrote:
Gator wrote:

You would think that a parent or wrestling alumnus would step up for the kids. I don't know the wrestling history or school size you mention, but for people not to think of the kids first is an injustice.

Andrew Jackson is the only feeder for Nitro and has a strong history. Since mine atarted wrestling there in 2010, it had always been a parent coaching except one year it was a teacher with a parent assistant. Nitro has a strong history and we hope to continue it, but no feeder doesn’t help.

By the time the job was posted and those of us at Nitro realized there was not a qualified applicant, we tri d to help find someone. We even offer assistance daily if a certified person who didn’t know wrestling would step up so they could have a team. No luck. I believe we have a couple of recent graduate who are considering getting certified for next year, but they would be good at the wrestling part and need help with the scheduling and organizing paperwork and parents parts.

The worst part is that because they are the only feeder, they can’t participate with another county team. If there were two feeder school, they would be able to participate at the other one.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

I can remember when South wrestled in the Nitro tournament many years ago. It was one of the largest and best tournaments in the state at the time. I witnessed many great Nitro wrestlers come out of their program.

It saddens me to hear it in this condition. Hopefully those young men will be able to restore the program and start another great tradition there. Best wishes!
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”