Re: Background checks for coaches and refs

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
fairgame

Background checks for coaches and refs

Postby fairgame » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:10 pm

Does anyone know if criminal background checks on coaches at schools and referees are conducted to see if there has been any felony convictions or drug use as examples? If you suspect this who should a person contact about it?
Last edited by fairgame on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fairgame

Postby fairgame » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Not sure if that is appropriate to post the names but I would like to inform the proper authority to who over sees this. I was curious if this has happened before and should a person go to the SSAC, AD or Principal.
Last edited by fairgame on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:16 pm

Contact the school's principal for the coach or the WVSSAC for an official. Please don't post the name on the internet.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:17 am

Coaches go through a process which include background checks before they are approved by the board of education.

timamos

Postby timamos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:46 am

Heisenberg wrote:Coaches go through a process which include background checks before they are approved by the board of education.

True for lay coaches every year. True for teachers when first hired. Running joke here for a few years was a police officer who volunteered to be an assistant coach for our middle school had to pay for an annual background check but teachers did not.

aaacoach90

Postby aaacoach90 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:22 pm

All coaches paid and volunteers go through federal background checks.

KSRef

Postby KSRef » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:13 pm

It is my understanding that when we first register as officials, we go through a background check. But it may be a one time thing.

That is changing soon. We will start going through background checks every 3 years.

fairgame

Postby fairgame » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:00 pm

If an asst. coach had a felony conviction and/or another coach has illegal drug use history (on record) would that disqualify them from coaching? I just don’t think this behavior or background belongs as influences on a High school level nor Pee Wee or middle school levels either. It is my understanding there has been a history of performance enhancement drugs offered to some kids. What’s the opinions out there?
Last edited by fairgame on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaacoach90

Postby aaacoach90 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:39 am

Sounds to me like you need to talk to the board of education not the message board. All coach's go through federal background checks and drug tests before being hired . If it happened after they was hired it should be reported .

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:51 am

Fairgame it sounds to me like you might be trying to stir the pot a little. I'm sure if you had real reason for the concern and safety of the kids you surely wouldn't be expecting any action to be taken on a forum. Here we are two weeks in and you want to cause trouble already.

fairgame

Postby fairgame » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 pm

Heisenberg wrote:Fairgame it sounds to me like you might be trying to stir the pot a little. I'm sure if you had real reason for the concern and safety of the kids you surely wouldn't be expecting any action to be taken on a forum. Here we are two weeks in and you want to cause trouble already.
Last edited by fairgame on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:15 am

If you have concrete evidence about a coach or official using illegal drugs, giving illegal drugs to underage/or student-athletes then it is your moral obligation to report that "evidence" to the local authorities. Not the WVSSAC. Not the local gossip mongers. Not the WVMAT Forum. If you have an "understanding" of guilt or usage of illegal drugs then take the appropriate steps to protect the student athletes and any other student that may be possibly affected by this possibility.

Do not get on this site and spread potentially damaging rumors about a coach or official that you do not have concrete evidence about. Suspicion is that there are or is or have been negative criticism about a coach or official because someone doesn't agree with a coach's methods or an officials call or lack of call on a particular night. If you choose to attempt to defame a person's name and reputation or good name because of some misunderstanding or disagree with an officials call you are not doing the community and the student athlete any justice. You're doing more harm. This has the smell of a witch-hunt to me.

Ray Marling, Ret.
WVSSAC & OVAC Official

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 am

The caveat here is that knowing they do drugs and reporting it doesn't affect much. To be fired they must be brought before the board with actionable evidence which is most definitely going to need to be criminal charges or a criminal conviction. State law does not provide requirements for them to be drug tested and they can not be fired based off of the word of a single person or even several people. Labor laws apply here and my guess is the school board has a very specific process for firing someone that must be followed or else they can face a lawsuit.

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:58 am

fairgame wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:Fairgame it sounds to me like you might be trying to stir the pot a little. I'm sure if you had real reason for the concern and safety of the kids you surely wouldn't be expecting any action to be taken on a forum. Here we are two weeks in and you want to cause trouble already.

I was seeking some guidance and opinions about this issue, I find it serious and will be contacting the proper personnel. Sorry it was discussed after season started but learned of this recently not trying to stir but would like others to speak up too, if they know of this going on. Takes a lot to come forward just with your statement reinforces that pressure or influence barriers you have to overcome. I’m done commenting, thought there would be some advice by others who post on this format.

The only thing I got from all of your bs was that you were done commenting. Thank goodness

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 am

I don't usually agree with MaleMatMaid but today is an exception. It's been verified several times that coaches go through background checks so this sounds like rumor spreading. I really hope you don't go and ruin someone's day over rumors.

Return to “High School Wrestling”