Ethics with Talent vs Dedication

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
vortexfan

Ethics with Talent vs Dedication

Postby vortexfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:35 pm

What do you tell a HS SENIOR kid that works hard for four years in your program, goes to every function to help out with events,and participates with fund raisers, finally may crack the starting lineup and the coach recruits other talented wrestlers to fill his spot that have not been with program for sometime if any? Pretty classy and ethical NOT! Can’t wait for that talent to dry up and watch the ones abandon ship in a few years! Good examples there!

ZZChooseTop

Re: Ethics with Talent vs Dedication

Postby ZZChooseTop » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:28 pm

So a kid who hasn't wrestled lifted or traveled for three years is going to beat your kid who has been on the team but hasn't started for three years? If that is the case then I have a hard time blaming a coach for those facts. What have YOU done to get YOUR kid better? How long ago did he start wrestling? Did he do rec or club? Did he wrestle in the off season before this year? Can he compete against the guys in the weight above or below? There are usually many moving parts to these stories. If your team is good then your son may be relieved that he is jv again, there is no pressure. If your team is bad and he isn't starting then don't get wrapped up in the drama and let him enjoy his senior year.

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 pm

vortexfan wrote:What do you tell a HS SENIOR kid that works hard for four years in your program, goes to every function to help out with events,and participates with fund raisers, finally may crack the starting lineup and the coach recruits other talented wrestlers to fill his spot that have not been with program for sometime if any? Pretty classy and ethical NOT! Can’t wait for that talent to dry up and watch the ones abandon ship in a few years! Good examples there!

Here we go, vortex is back at it again. You were the kid that always got picked last in everything weren’t you?
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:54 pm

ZZChooseTop wrote:So a kid who hasn't wrestled lifted or traveled for three years is going to beat your kid who has been on the team but hasn't started for three years? If that is the case then I have a hard time blaming a coach for those facts. What have YOU done to get YOUR kid better? How long ago did he start wrestling? Did he do rec or club? Did he wrestle in the off season before this year? Can he compete against the guys in the weight above or below? There are usually many moving parts to these stories. If your team is good then your son may be relieved that he is jv again, there is no pressure. If your team is bad and he isn't starting then don't get wrapped up in the drama and let him enjoy his senior year.

Not my son, he conditioned with the team, lifted off season, attended everything that was asked. It’s the principal of the idea, not sure what is being taught to HS kids involved in sports but evidently no loyalty matters with this program. This is not college. This is a kid who will do OK just not cream of the crop as varsity starter.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:58 pm

shemailman wrote:
vortexfan wrote:What do you tell a HS SENIOR kid that works hard for four years in your program, goes to every function to help out with events,and participates with fund raisers, finally may crack the starting lineup and the coach recruits other talented wrestlers to fill his spot that have not been with program for sometime if any? Pretty classy and ethical NOT! Can’t wait for that talent to dry up and watch the ones abandon ship in a few years! Good examples there!

Here we go, vortex is back at it again. You were the kid that always got picked last in everything weren’t you?

I’m just glad u have another positive post, not about me it’s about the kids. Never mind the kids loyalty he’s given.
Let’s go after the messenger

WHSMOM

Postby WHSMOM » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 pm

You tell the kid life isn't fair. Some people are blessed with talent. Wrestling is a sport where not everyone gets a trophy. It teaches life lessons. Wrestling is not a who you know or how much time and money you devote its about learning. It's about setting goals and working hard to achieve them. Realizing goals are just something to work towards and sometimes the are achieved and other times they are not. When they are achieved great! But if they aren't achieved did you learn something? Did you better yourself? Did you give it all you could? If you can answer yes. Than your kid won at life. That is the real prize! My kid is in his senior year he has have victories and losses and has never been a state champ. Now would I love for him to be one hell yes!!! But as I see this chapter of my son life coming to an end I am happy and proud of the man wrestling has helped him become. I know he is better because of wrestling. I am so thankful for the time wrestling has given me to enjoy him and that is why I could care less about if he ever reached his goal of becoming a state champ. Quit looking at the negatives and celebrate the positive ! Now I get it's hard to see your kid want something so bad and not get it. But again that's life

aaacoach90

Postby aaacoach90 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:44 pm

Its pretty simple
Wrestle offs= Winner is first team :mrgreen:

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:52 pm

If the coach runs an honest and ethical wrestle off, then the wrestlers will decide who is varsity and who is not. That is where you need the most ethics placed. The most talented and/or hardest working should prevail.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Frank

Postby Frank » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 pm

U could transfer schools

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Frank wrote:U could transfer schools

No U can’t as a senior to wrestle this year

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 pm

Cant leave it alone can we change it a little?
My son has wrestled for three years on the high school team and has done everything asked of him. He has never won state but is the top ranked returner in his weight class! I just learned that a kid has moved into his weight class who doesn't work as hard, doesn't live a clean life, but will still probably pin him. I'm mad because it just isn't fair! Is it unethical of life to let someone who Isn't as dedicated to still win?

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 pm

aaacoach90 wrote:Its pretty simple

Again never mind the off season practice and lifting, and helping the team then going behind kids back to see that he doesn’t wrestle varsity after season has started. I see your point too.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 pm

WHSMOM wrote:You tell the kid life isn't fair. Some people are blessed with talent. Wrestling is a sport where not everyone gets a trophy. It teaches life lessons. Wrestling is not a who you know or how much time and money you devote its about learning. It's about setting goals and working hard to achieve them. Realizing goals are just something to work towards and sometimes the are achieved and other times they are not. When they are achieved great! But if they aren't achieved did you learn something? Did you better yourself? Did you give it all you could? If you can answer yes. Than your kid won at life. That is the real prize! My kid is in his senior year he has have victories and losses and has never been a state champ. Now would I love for him to be one hell yes!!! But as I see this chapter of my son life coming to an end I am happy and proud of the man wrestling has helped him become. I know he is better because of wrestling. I am so thankful for the time wrestling has given me to enjoy him and that is why I could care less about if he ever reached his goal of becoming a state champ. Quit looking at the negatives and celebrate the positive ! Now I get it's hard to see your kid want something so bad and not get it. But again that's life

Thanks, good points but it’s not my kid, just ridiculous to beg him and others raise funds off season and stick with program, practice and lift off season with the coaches then go and seek a kid to see that he doesn’t make varsity after doing everything asked of him. Nothing against the kid being recruited either. Just a coach & coaches out for their self serving and very sad situation going on.

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 pm

You said that he did everything that was asked of him. What did he do EXTRA? On his own without being asked? If he is that dedicated and he can't break the lineup in his weight, one weight up, or one weight down then the team is loaded or he probably doesn't belong on varsity. East fairmont and Indy and south had it last year where average kids couldn't crack the lineup in three consecutive weights. I don't pretend to know everyone's lineup but we don't have it down here this year and beside fairmont I don't know anyone that does

Check with my friend magna145 there lineup isn't set
Last edited by ZZChooseTop on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:55 pm

vortexfan wrote:

Sure you can! You don’t have to sit out a year after transferring in high school. If that were the case, Josh Humphreys couldn’t wrestle at South this year.
Moderator WV Mat

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:19 am

Gator wrote:
vortexfan wrote:

Sure you can! You don’t have to sit out a year after transferring in high school. If that were the case, Josh Humphreys couldn’t wrestle at South this year.

Change of address

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:22 am

Frank wrote:
Gator wrote:
vortexfan wrote:

Change of address

This late in the season? I didn’t know that but don’t think his parents would do that. I’m curious why other kids don’t do that if that’s the case. Thanks for your input

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:24 am

There are a few cases that I know of.
One mid season

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:35 am

I know of two schools that had some wrestle offs that were worthy of state tournament matches.

One school has a state tournament place winner on JV as of now.

Another school has a top freshman on JV.

*****We will start up the "JV getting to wrestle in the regions" discussion after we see some scores.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:38 am

Bearhugger wrote:I know of two schools that had some wrestle offs that were worthy of state tournament matches.

One school has a state tournament place winner on JV as of now.

Another school has a top freshman on JV.

*****We will start up the "JV getting to wrestle in the regions" discussion after we see some scores.

Sounds good

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:44 am

ZZChooseTop wrote:You said that he did everything that was asked of him. What did he do EXTRA? On his own without being asked? If he is that dedicated and he can't break the lineup in his weight, one weight up, or one weight down then the team is loaded or he probably doesn't belong on varsity. East fairmont and Indy and south had it last year where average kids couldn't crack the lineup in three consecutive weights. I don't pretend to know everyone's lineup but we don't have it down here this year and beside fairmont I don't know anyone that does

Check with my friend magna145 there lineup isn't set

They are loaded that’s one reason it bugs me about this situation, they inherit a rich pool of talent and then to do this stunt is wrong in my opinion.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:46 am

ZZChooseTop wrote:Cant leave it alone can we change it a little?
My son has wrestled for three years on the high school team and has done everything asked of him. He has never won state but is the top ranked returner in his weight class! I just learned that a kid has moved into his weight class who doesn't work as hard, doesn't live a clean life, but will still probably pin him. I'm mad because it just isn't fair! Is it unethical of life to let someone who Isn't as dedicated to still win?

This is a different situation, this is a lack of loyalty to a dedicated kid with a very successful program. Thanks for your post and good luck to to your son keep working hard

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14 am

vortex I feel sorry for that senior. You are presenting yourself as a supporter of him, yet even you don't think he can beat out this "new talent". Hopefully his coach has more faith in him than you do.

With that said, a coach who has watched a kid be a part of the team for four years, but never crack the starting lineup, is supposed to just give him a starting position rather than recruit someone to compete for the spot? That would be a pretty poor coach in my opinion. A good coach creates competition in the wrestling room which makes for better wrestlers on Saturday which helps the team win.

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:57 am

aaacoach90 wrote:Its pretty simple

Totally agree, work harder, beat the other kid.

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:07 am

vortexfan wrote:
ZZChooseTop wrote:So a kid who hasn't wrestled lifted or traveled for three years is going to beat your kid who has been on the team but hasn't started for three years? If that is the case then I have a hard time blaming a coach for those facts. What have YOU done to get YOUR kid better? How long ago did he start wrestling? Did he do rec or club? Did he wrestle in the off season before this year? Can he compete against the guys in the weight above or below? There are usually many moving parts to these stories. If your team is good then your son may be relieved that he is jv again, there is no pressure. If your team is bad and he isn't starting then don't get wrapped up in the drama and let him enjoy his senior year.

Not my son, he conditioned with the team, lifted off season, attended everything that was asked. It’s the principal of the idea, not sure what is being taught to HS kids involved in sports but evidently no loyalty matters with this program. This is not college. This is a kid who will do OK just not cream of the crop as varsity starter.

What program are you speaking of??
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 am

vortexfan wrote:
shemailman wrote:

I’m just glad u have another positive post, not about me it’s about the kids. Never mind the kids loyalty he’s given.

It wasn't negative, but you did choose to interpret it that way. Sorry that you were always picked last. Hopefully you were at least able to get participation trophies for your troubles though.

-Caitlyn Jenner

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:11 pm

shemailman wrote:
vortexfan wrote:
shemailman wrote:

It wasn't negative, but you did choose to interpret it that way. Sorry that you were always picked last. Hopefully you were at least able to get participation trophies for your troubles though.

You were the kid that always got picked last in everything weren’t you? Is not negative, evidently this topic bothers you. It’s about a hard working kid that is a decent teammate. Not about me it’s about loyalty of coach to
wrestler, hope your proud of this.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:18 pm

[quote="coach_williams"]vortex I feel sorry for that senior. You are presenting yourself as a supporter of him, yet even you don't think he can beat out this "new talent". Hopefully his coach has more faith in him than you do.

With that said, a coach who has watched a kid be a part of the team for four years, but never crack the starting lineup, is supposed to just give him a starting position rather than recruit someone to compete for the spot? That would be a pretty poor coach in my opinion. A good coach creates competition in the wrestling room which makes for better wrestlers on Saturday which helps the team win.[/quote

Thanks coach

I do support this kid, he has wrestled a lot of years and been behind some mighty talented wrestlers in HS. The season had already started and the coach actually goes to the trouble to recruit and they are loaded anyway whether the recruit wrestles or not. What if an average wrestler wanted to join team now? It’s just poor loyalty to some that sticks with the program. I cannot understand why some are not supportive of a hard working wrestler under these circumstances.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:46 pm

coach_williams wrote:vortex I feel sorry for that senior. You are presenting yourself as a supporter of him, yet even you don't think he can beat out this "new talent". Hopefully his coach has more faith in him than you do.

With that said, a coach who has watched a kid be a part of the team for four years, but never crack the starting lineup, is supposed to just give him a starting position rather than recruit someone to compete for the spot? That would be a pretty poor coach in my opinion. A good coach creates competition in the wrestling room which makes for better wrestlers on Saturday which helps the team win.

Coach not trying to argue about your post but you mentioned giving him a starting position was not the case, he had starting position but after season started coach recruited to see that it doesn’t happen.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:07 pm

vortexfan wrote:
coach_williams wrote:vortex I feel sorry for that senior. You are presenting yourself as a supporter of him, yet even you don't think he can beat out this "new talent". Hopefully his coach has more faith in him than you do.

Coach not trying to argue about your post but you mentioned giving him a starting position was not the case, he had starting position but after season started coach recruited to see that it doesn’t happen.

What weight class is this wrestler? I know a school that needs a 132 and a 220.

Return to “High School Wrestling”