Weight Class Rules

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Rage_Bear

Weight Class Rules

Postby Rage_Bear » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Hey all.

For some time, I've been under the impression that a wrestler may not wrestle more than two weight classes below their highest officially wrestled match. For instance, if a kid wrestles heavyweight, they may not wrestle 195 later. However, I attempted to find this rule in the NFHS handbook and in WVSSAC's rule pamphlet, and cannot find it.

The only thing I see is simply Alpha Weight related and as long as they follow that plan, they are good.

Any help finding the actual rule (code number) would be appreciated. Thank you.

mike.carman

Re: Weight Class Rules

Postby mike.carman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Minimum Wrestling Weight
After being assessed for his minimum wrestling weight, the first time he/she wrestles at his/her minimum
wrestling weight he/she must make base weight. He or she may not weigh-in at his or her minimum weight
until the date indicated by the Alpha Report. Once a wrestler weighs in at his/her minimum wrestling
weight, he/she MUST then weigh-in at his/her minimum wrestling weight 50% of his remaining competitions.

HS Wrestling Wt. Management Policy
http://www.wvssac.org/sports-schedules/wrestling/

Zacsdad

Postby Zacsdad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:30 pm

This is a clarification from Dr. Welker's "Making the Call" about 1/3 of the way down the page.
http://www.wvmat.com/official/official.htm

Q:As a followup to the previous question, a wrestler has wrestled 145 and on occasion moved up during dual meets. What happens if he weighs in with the 160 lb'ers in a bracketed tournament. Even if he only weighs weighing 149. If he weighs in with the 160 lbs can he go back down. Please clarify before disaster strikes. I think if he weighs in at 160, he cannot go back to 145. However, if he weighs in at 152 and wrestles up to 160, he is OK to go back to 145. Is this correct?
Answer: You are absolutely right! If a wrestler is certified at 106, weighs in at 113, and wrestles 120 - he is still eligible to wrestle at 106. However, if this wrestler weighs in at 120 - he has recertified himself at 113. Note, these scenarios go into effect at the wrestler's minimum certified weight alpha date - say January 7 for example - when he can wrestle 106.

Rage_Bear

Postby Rage_Bear » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Zacsdad wrote:This is a clarification from Dr. Welker's "Making the Call" about 1/3 of the way down the page.
http://www.wvmat.com/official/official.htm

Q:As a followup to the previous question, a wrestler has wrestled 145 and on occasion moved up during dual meets. What happens if he weighs in with the 160 lb'ers in a bracketed tournament. Even if he only weighs weighing 149. If he weighs in with the 160 lbs can he go back down. Please clarify before disaster strikes. I think if he weighs in at 160, he cannot go back to 145. However, if he weighs in at 152 and wrestles up to 160, he is OK to go back to 145. Is this correct?
Answer: You are absolutely right! If a wrestler is certified at 106, weighs in at 113, and wrestles 120 - he is still eligible to wrestle at 106. However, if this wrestler weighs in at 120 - he has recertified himself at 113. Note, these scenarios go into effect at the wrestler's minimum certified weight alpha date - say January 7 for example - when he can wrestle 106.

Thank you! This is what I was looking for!

Return to “High School Wrestling”