Alternate Uniforms: Causing More Problems Than It Solves

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Coach_DeBee_RMU

Alternate Uniforms: Causing More Problems Than It Solves

Postby Coach_DeBee_RMU » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 pm

I’ve talked to a couple of officials in the past couple of days regarding their opinions on the new optional uniform change. That being switching from the traditional and standard singlet to the two piece shirt and short combo. When I spoke to them, one constant issue came up - The constant calls for grasping of clothing. I understand that the NFHS made this change in an effort to attain more interest in the sport of wrestling and grow numbers, but this officiating issue may make a huge difference. Imagine being a very good wrestler and lose matches because you’re accidentally grasping the shorts (the shirts aren’t usually an issue since they are skin tight, but have been grasped as well). Officials are really unhappy about the amount of grasping calls they have to make since this change. It’s affecting the outcomes of matches. I don’t think the singlet should ever be/have been an issue. It’s costing kids matches and officials don’t want a grasping call to determine a match. I think schools really just need to step up their effort in promoting the sport of wrestling. (Also, the argument and stigma about wrestling being "gay" really needs to come to an end; this is the 21st century and these kids (Adults too!) need to grow up). Sometimes change is good, but in this case, I don’t think this had the effect it thought it would and is causing more problems than it solves. Opinions, Feedback, Comments, Concerns, and Questions are welcome.

guard0544

Re: Alternate Uniforms: Causing More Problems Than It Solves

Postby guard0544 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 am

Our team is wearing them. We have been through two tournaments and a quad and I’ve not seen any grabbing clothes calls by an official this year. I never notice kids grabbing people’s shorts in practice either. Maybe the ref you talked to just had a couple kids who are...grabbers.

Frylock

Postby Frylock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 pm

I've been to high school and middle school tournaments every weekend since the season started. The only grabbing I saw was someone who was grabbing a singlet intentionally. The only issue I have seen with the two piece uniform has been that the top needed to be tucked into the shorts a few times but that didn't affect any match outcomes. As far as the "gay" comment, I think coaches and parents have been telling non-wrestlers to "grow up" for a long time and it still hasn't happened. The singlet has nothing to do with a "gay" perception. The singlet made some people overly concerned with a more revealing lower body, like a speedo swimsuit. There's nothing wrong with the new uniform and people will adjust to it fine.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Based on where I have been and who I talk to, I have seen/heard nothing about people grabbing the new uniforms. It is like any other rule change. The wrestlers need to learn the changes and get their heads right before competition.

This uniform crap is just that. The two biggest things that prevent kids from wanting to wrestle is weight cutting and the thought of walking out there on that mat ALONE. The whole world sees them win or lose.

Most weight classes are separated by 6 pounds on average. Cutting those 5-6 pounds can make a kid miserable. I suggest more focus on strength training so those 5-6 pounds don't mean anything. Don't cut! I know a wrestler who told me to my face he weighed 215. He just won a very prestigious tournament at 220. Those 5 pounds didn't shut him down. Weighing in two days in a row was a formality, not a distracting display of torture.

The only people who come to watch wrestling events are parents, GOOD friends, and crazy/hardcore fans like me and Gator. We acknowledge that the kids are staying with wrestling, hanging in there and trying.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Either you like them or you don't. Hasn't been an issue out on the mats for me yet. We don't wear them, but if other teams do, I don't care. Compression-style tops and bottoms can become more revealing than a singlet, so I admit I don't get that one. So far, the only thing I have against it though, is I think it looks ragtag when some members of the same team are wearing the 2-piece and some aren't.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm

This uniform crap is just that. The two biggest things that prevent kids from wanting to wrestle is weight cutting and the thought of walking out there on that mat ALONE. The whole world sees them win or lose.
Bearhugger.....you hit this one on the head. these were issues 40 years ago and now. I do think more so now because kids are different and peers have different attitudes.

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Our team just got new singlets. Not the two piece. I think from what I have experienced is that if you have a kid or two with success, that tends to help build the team also. We were down to 4 last year. Two places at State. This year we’ve had 13 come out. 2 have dropped, but the other 11 are still in it. We even have a senior who has never wrestled and came out this year.

I don’t think our uniform choice had any effect on kids coming out or not. I think it was the way the wrestlers and coaches behaved and the things they accomplished. I think some of those kids see success and think they’d like to be part of that.

I also think the way the administration reacted also has an impact. Prior to last year, there were only announcements about the kids going to State. Last year our administration organized a big school send off for our State qualifiers. Marching band, school out In the halls. That also helped in my opinion. To show support for wrestling just like for other sports is more important than one realizes.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:15 pm

aacoach70 wrote:Either you like them or you don't. Hasn't been an issue out on the mats for me yet. We don't wear them, but if other teams do, I don't care. Compression-style tops and bottoms can become more revealing than a singlet, so I admit I don't get that one. So far, the only thing I have against it though, is I think it looks ragtag when some members of the same team are wearing the 2-piece and some aren't.

I think I agree with you coach. And Bearhugger too.

When you step on the mat in a singlet, you look like a wrestler. When you wear some(some are REALLY baggie) 2 piece uniforms, you look more like a basketball player.

imperial-feature.jpg
imperial-feature.jpg (94.99 KiB) Viewed 5736 times

main-qimg-4d6b4fdf2e369601f19d1359929aad7c-c.jpg
main-qimg-4d6b4fdf2e369601f19d1359929aad7c-c.jpg (122.15 KiB) Viewed 5736 times
Moderator WV Mat

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:21 pm

The "REALLY" baggie comment stems from watching a short, muscular kid yesterday at the Ironman with a 2 piece that had shorts so long and baggie, they hit him about mid-calf. Bearhugger knows who I'm talking about.

I saw some that a few of the Hurricane young men were wearing at South that looked good. But like the coach says, I don't care what they wear, as long as they don't look like a basketball player!
Moderator WV Mat

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:45 am

We wear them at Hurricane. We gave them out to all the weight classes and told them they could either wear the 2 piece option, or the singlet. We have some of the younger kids that like the rash guard and shorts, and some purists that like the singlet. We have not had a grabbing call yet this year. Both the new 2 piece and the singlet, are approved by the school, have team colors and logo, and fit properly. I don't have a preference, it's whatever makes the kid comfortable. I am more concerned with trying to improve their skill set and selling the sport for its life benefits than I am about what they are wearing.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:05 pm

I saw the Hurricane wrestlers at Barnesville this weekend and thought the two piece uniform looked great.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Our team has them, and most of the team hates them. The kids said they look like a bicycle race team. The coaches don’t give them a choice when they wear them as opposed to when they wear the regular singlet. I don’t get it, but I am old school. In my opinion, if you are that worried about what a singlet looks like on you, then you probably don’t have the mindset needed for wrestling in the first place.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:02 am

matcoach90 wrote:Our team has them, and most of the team hates them. The kids said they look like a bicycle race team. The coaches don’t give them a choice when they wear them as opposed to when they wear the regular singlet. I don’t get it, but I am old school. In my opinion, if you are that worried about what a singlet looks like on you, then you probably don’t have the mindset needed for wrestling in the first place.

I think some folks are grasping at straws with this new uniform in an effort to increase participation.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:15 am

I can see their advantage if Mad Max was to come out of retirement :) .

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:59 am

Now thats a good one KD.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:19 pm

My dislike of the 2 piece has always been for the same reason. I can see a finger or foot getting caught in the loose material and causing an injury. I like the idea of compression shorts and a tight-fitting shirt much more than the 2 piece like in the pic Gator posted.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 pm

If we could only come up with a way to merge the compression top and compression bottom into more of a singular piece.. hmm.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 am

aacoach70 wrote:If we could only come up with a way to merge the compression top and compression bottom into more of a singular piece.. hmm.

I think you might be on to something!

Return to “High School Wrestling”