AAA,AA,A Team Rankings

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
vortexfan

Re: AAA,AA,A Team Rankings

Postby vortexfan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Diamond wrote:
shemailman wrote:
Diamond wrote:
Really?

Really!

So South got a malematmaid and a shemailman pulling for them? I think it’s one clown tooting two horns.

AGREE

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Bearhugger, I agree with you on your assessment of the top 3 teams in Class A you mentioned in your post. With the new alignment Madonna, Ritchie, and others have to survive a tough region. Region 4 a few years ago had the same dilemma. The Class A Challenge will probably again show this.

Frank

Postby Frank » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:58 pm

JennyHannan wrote:Loved your post, Mr. Hart! I am a huge proponent of dual matches and duals tournaments. Having spent many years traveling with our team, it was always disheartening to see some of our boys go 2 and out at the larger tournaments when only a few on the team might make it to the second day of competition. But each year when the Wheeling Park Duals rolled around, the kids finally gelled as a team, pulling for each other in close matches and gaining momentum off each others' wins. Also, I think there's a lot to be said when the action is right there in front of the teammates as opposed to being on one of up to 10 mats while the wrestler's teammates are in the stands engrossed in whatever's on their phones.

I also love the strategy of dual meets, especially when it comes to rivalries. When I first started keeping book for the team back in 2005, it wasn't until then that I discovered how important it is to win the coin toss at the beginning of the dual. When South and PHS would wrestle back in the days of Tim McCartney and Scheny Schenerlein, the strategy and roster juggling was in full force. I didn't realize that winning the coin toss means more than simply who gets choice of position in the first round. It also determines who is officially supposed to check in at the head table first. Believe me, this rule was enforced more than once at a South-PHS dual, and those infamous last-second roster substitutions resulted!

If you're so inclined, take a few minutes to read an article I wrote nearly 14 years ago. http://wvmat.com/matlines/matlin39.htm (You'll recognize a lot of the names, especially one present-day coach in particular!) It covers much of what Mr. Hart mentioned in his post. Oh, and let me get on my soapbox for a moment and vent about a pet peeve of mine. If you look at the fifth paragraph, this match nearly came down to tiebreaker criteria #6, which is first POINTS scored; not first takedowns. I will just leave it at that and step down off the soapbox now.

Many thanks to the teams and fans from Indpendence and East Fairmont for making the trip to Parkersburg last night. What a long night! LOL. Even though my backside is pretty sore from sitting for 5 hours, I only have one regret, and that's not getting there early enough to have Gator introduce me to Frank. I tend to gloss over a lot of comments on the forum, but Frank, I must say I enjoy all of your posts, and I love your sense of humor. Some may not "get" you, but I do, and you've given me a lot of chuckles. :)

Merry Christmas to everyone, and best wishes for a healthy, successful 2018!

Thank you for the kind words. Would like to meet you sometime.
Merry Christmas all

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:58 pm

coach_stump wrote:Bearhugger, I agree with you on your assessment of the top 3 teams in Class A you mentioned in your post. With the new alignment Madonna, Ritchie, and others have to survive a tough region. Region 4 a few years ago had the same dilemma. The Class A Challenge will probably again show this.

It has now been pointed out that Wirt County did battle at the Single A Challenge without four starters. These four came back and qualified for the state tournament. This helps make the state tournament results more understandable among the Single A teams.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Ol'Dad

Postby Ol'Dad » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Any idea on the frequency of the rankings or when the individual rankings will begin?

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 pm

I don’t know if Fairmont Senior can remain in the top ten this season, but watch out for them over the next two years. They are comprised of mostly freshman and sophomores. Young and talented, but YOUNG! LOL And one of those sophomores was already a heavyweight state champ as a freshman last year.

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm

Matcoach, I saw that that freshman heavyweight state wrestling champ was also a first-team all-state football player as a sophomore. That’s a lot to accomplish in two years. Guess you can do both well if you work hard enough at it and have the talent.

Word on the street is that we will get the top three single A teams matched up head to head on Friday at the National Giard Duals. That should be worth the price of admission and a tank of gas to Summersville this weekend.

Wrestlehard

Postby Wrestlehard » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:33 am

North Marion beat Keyser 48-36 without 2 of their starters..could definitely be in the top 10!

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:43 am

IndyHart wrote:Matcoach, I saw that that freshman heavyweight state wrestling champ was also a first-team all-state football player as a sophomore. That’s a lot to accomplish in two years. Guess you can do both well if you work hard enough at it and have the talent.

Word on the street is that we will get the top three single A teams matched up head to head on Friday at the National Giard Duals. That should be worth the price of admission and a tank of gas to Summersville this weekend.

Yeah, that kid is a very humble and good person to boot. Has good wrestling family background. His uncles are the Courtney's... One coaches the Bridgeport Wrestling team.

Wmc2

Postby Wmc2 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Greenbrier west beat Madonna 46-25
Madonna beat Wirt 39-30
Greenbrier west beat Wirt, sorry don’t know the score.

wrestlingfan1234

Postby wrestlingfan1234 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Greenbrier West defeated Wirt 50-19

jofus

Postby jofus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:43 pm

West also beat Johnson central either 33 to 30 or 36 to 30, to win their pool.

LiamKneesliden

Postby LiamKneesliden » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Riverside is a contender, for sure!!

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Diamond wrote:
shemailman wrote:
Diamond wrote:
Really?

Really!

So South got a malematmaid and a shemailman pulling for them? I think it’s one clown tooting two horns.

:ugeek:
Last edited by mscoach57 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

aacoach104

Postby aacoach104 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:42 pm

I am unaware of any opinions expressed by me or my brother on any such topics. Perhaps you are mistaken us for someone else.

Warmest regards,

Chris Courtney
Bridgeport Indians Head Coach

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:42 pm

Also mistaken in your belief that AA coaches, like Coach Courtney, vote on AAA awards, like Coach of the Year, at the state tournament.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:06 am

aacoach104 wrote:I am unaware of any opinions expressed by me or my brother on any such topics. Perhaps you are mistaken us for someone else.

Warmest regards,

Chris Courtney
Bridgeport Indians Head Coach

My bad. I apologize. Went through old posts and it looked like Bridgeport's coaching number. I can't count.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:08 am

IndyHart wrote:Also mistaken in your belief that AA coaches, like Coach Courtney, vote on AAA awards, like Coach of the Year, at the state tournament.

I'm aware. Meant that the results of these polls thru the year are said to influence the vote at the end of the year.

jofus

Postby jofus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:24 am

Wmc2 wrote:Greenbrier west beat Madonna 46-25
Madonna beat Wirt 39-30
Greenbrier west beat Wirt, sorry don’t know the score.

Apparently none of that mattered to the coaches that voted on the team poll :roll:

Wmc2

Postby Wmc2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:31 am

Kind of confused on the new rankings, the results are the results. Greenbrier west, Madonna and wirt. 1 thru three and my sons wrestle for Madonna. lol.

Ol'Dad

Postby Ol'Dad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:59 pm

I believe North beat Keyser, Liberty, and Winfield head to head.

aacoach117

Postby aacoach117 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Wmc2 wrote:Kind of confused on the new rankings, the results are the results. Greenbrier west, Madonna and wirt. 1 thru three and my sons wrestle for Madonna. lol.

Unfortunately some coaches voted before this weekend and the National Guard Duals results were not goven much if any consideration.

I suggested this ranking for single A but obviously it carried little weight.

1. Greenbrier West
2. Madonna
3. Williamstown
4. Wirt County
5. Magnolia
6. Tyler Consolidated
7. Wahama
8. South Harrison
9. Ritchie County
10. Moorefield

Return to “High School Wrestling”