M.I.A. Where are they

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
TrueSouthFanInPburg

M.I.A. Where are they

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Missing in action three weeks into the season are Acerman, Fox and Wilson from PHS. Porter-SV, Haynes-SA, M> Simpson-Uni,Durrah-JM, Marrone-Wash and Moran-Mart. (Moran was the 285 for Mart last year that upset
McCune from PHS ). He should be a placer this year at 285. Does anyone know why these guys have not wrestled any matches so far this year ? :shock:

baxter841

Re: M.I.A. Where are they

Postby baxter841 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:02 am

Add to that list

Braxtons Dylan Dennison
Wirt Countys Cole Cheavront
Graftons Keith Skaggs
Point Pleasants George Smith
Philip Barbours Ethan McClain

Are these guys wrestling this year? Im not seeing them in any recent results.

Muskee

Postby Muskee » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:26 am

Danny Booth North Marion/Fairmont SR???

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:33 pm

baxter841 wrote:Add to that list

Braxtons Dylan Dennison

He competed at Richwood two weeks ago and on day one last week at Hardwood. He only missed day two at Hardwood.

magna145

Postby magna145 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Porter is on the first page of the Huntington Herald Dispatch sports page today, with a large brace, on his arm. He signed ,to play football, at Marshall University.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:57 pm

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:Missing in action three weeks into the season are Acerman, Fox and Wilson from PHS. Porter-SV, Haynes-SA, M> Simpson-Uni,Durrah-JM, Marrone-Wash and Moran-Mart. (Moran was the 285 for Mart last year that upset
McCune from PHS ). He should be a placer this year at 285. Does anyone know why these guys have not wrestled any matches so far this year ? :shock:

That’s a lot of talent missing, hope they make a return!

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Porter got hurt in the AAA title game. So, he may be out or not wrestling due to football scholarship.

I've not seen a few top freshman like Noah Brown of GWest (unless he is the Brown at 195 which would be wild since he was 145 as an 8th grader). But some of them may be JV right now.

I've not seen the kid (Haynes or Haines) from St Albans and McCune from Calhoun. There were a few others that I can't remember right now as well.

UpSouth

Postby UpSouth » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:06 pm

Where is McCray from Riverside?????

pkbwrestling

Postby pkbwrestling » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:48 pm

I never heard if Holley (285) from CM was wrestling or not? Porter isn’t going to risk his injury or scholarship. I updated the PHS info on the PHS/Huntington thread.

Repoman1304

Postby Repoman1304 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:17 am

Muskee wrote:Danny Booth North Marion/Fairmont SR???

Danny's out with injury from football season.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:27 am

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:Missing in action three weeks into the season are Acerman, Fox and Wilson from PHS. Porter-SV, Haynes-SA, M> Simpson-Uni,Durrah-JM, Marrone-Wash and Moran-Mart. (Moran was the 285 for Mart last year that upset

Simpson/Univ has a broken arm.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:28 am

baxter841 wrote:Add to that list

Braxtons Dylan Dennison
Wirt Countys Cole Cheavront
Graftons Keith Skaggs
Point Pleasants George Smith
Philip Barbours Ethan McClain

I heard Skaggs and Smith are injured. I do not know the details. I believe they are both due back.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 am

Does anyone else see the irony that many football coaches don't want their players to wrestle because they want them spending the off-season getting in "football shape", yet many wrestlers are MIA due to football injuries?

aacoach41

Postby aacoach41 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:28 am

Noah Brown is at 195 for Greenbrier West. He grew 5 inches and put on 50 lbs. from March to August. He is currently 10-1 and wrestling well.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:23 am

Repoman1304 wrote:
Muskee wrote:Danny Booth North Marion/Fairmont SR???

Danny's out with injury from football season.

It was good to meet you yesterday Repoman and it saddens me to hear about Danny’s injury. I wish nothing but the very best for him going forward.
Moderator WV Mat

WVWrestling54

Postby WVWrestling54 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:35 am

Going off whast I was told last night. Smith lost his wrestle off to Freeman. Cheuvront without going into details is not wrestling.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:02 pm

coach_williams wrote:Does anyone else see the irony that many football coaches don't want their players to wrestle because they want them spending the off-season getting in "football shape", yet many wrestlers are MIA due to football injuries?
well, football season is directly before wrestling season. And, I have never met 1 football coach who doesn't encourage their players to wrestle due to the aggressive nature of it. At least from my perspective, I believe you are grasping at straws on this one.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:04 pm

aacoach41 wrote:Noah Brown is at 195 for Greenbrier West. He grew 5 inches and put on 50 lbs. from March to August. He is currently 10-1 and wrestling well.
that is crazy. He was a good one at 145. I'd say that he'll be tough one to handle at that weight (especially once his strength catches up to his size).

mscoach134

Postby mscoach134 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:04 pm

WVWrestling54 wrote:Going off whast I was told last night. Smith lost his wrestle off to Freeman. Cheuvront without going into details is not wrestling.

Smith is now on the swim team at point.

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:04 pm

coach_williams wrote:Does anyone else see the irony that many football coaches don't want their players to wrestle because they want them spending the off-season getting in "football shape", yet many wrestlers are MIA due to football injuries?

Ironic indeed. Solidifies a lot of rational thought when this discussion presents itself.
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:06 pm

mscoach64 wrote:
well, football season is directly before wrestling season. And, I have never met 1 football coach who doesn't encourage their players to wrestle due to the aggressive nature of it. At least from my perspective, I believe you are grasping at straws on this one.

I do no think he’s grasping at all. Wrestling will make anyone a better football player. However there are a lot of ignorant football coaches out there that do not understand this concept and it shows with a lot of those football teams.
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:09 pm

mscoach64 wrote:

You must not have met very many football coaches then. I can name two. Perhaps your community has not had to experience that like others have.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 pm

coach_williams wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:

You must not have met very many football coaches then. I can name two. Perhaps your community has not had to experience that like others have.
I've met a few since I am a high school head football coach. I do not know one of them who try to get their kids to not wrestle or play other sports. a kid gets 4 years to be in high school and play sports and then never again. I think that maybe you are using your 2 examples to make generalized statements. I can promise you that my program and school would never allow that to happen. I hope they play basketball, wrestle, baseball, run track, etc. Works more muscle groups.

on the flip side of the argument, there are an awful lot of wrestlers who don't play football.

Man2man

Postby Man2man » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Yeah coach Williams has a valid point. I live in the southern part of the state and that’s exactly what quite a few schools down here have done through the years! The schools that have coaches who support each other’s programs have the better teams. Btw. The fb coaches excuse is “I don’t want my players cutting weight and they need to be in the weight room “. I’ve even had them say no crossfit as well.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:12 pm

mscoach64 wrote:
coach_williams wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:well, football season is directly before wrestling season. And, I have never met 1 football coach who doesn't encourage their players to wrestle due to the aggressive nature of it. At least from my perspective, I believe you are grasping at straws on this one.

I've met a few since I am a high school head football coach. I do not know one of them who try to get their kids to not wrestle or play other sports. a kid gets 4 years to be in high school and play sports and then never again. I think that maybe you are using your 2 examples to make generalized statements. I can promise you that my program and school would never allow that to happen. I hope they play basketball, wrestle, baseball, run track, etc. Works more muscle groups.

on the flip side of the argument, there are an awful lot of wrestlers who don't play football.

I can personally name quite a few that outwardly encourage their players to participate in other sports and then make it impossible to do so and earn a starting spot on their squad. In essence they schedule "volunteer" workouts that are essentially mandatory for their players to play in the fall. If the players do not attend they don't play and these workouts conflict with other sports practices. Puts the kids in a bad position.

jofus

Postby jofus » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:48 pm

I won't name the coach, but where my son Logan wrestled his HS freshman year before we moved, the football coach tried very hard to talk football players into lifting through the winter instead of wrestling. A big difference from where we moved to, where the wrestling coaches are also football coaches.

If you look at the football record in recent years, I'm not sure the lifting is paying off....

aaacoach42

Postby aaacoach42 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:39 pm

UpSouth wrote:Where is McCray from Riverside?????

McCray is not wrestling this season. He is in school in Maryland I believe. Unfortunate situation has forced his move and has kept him off the mat. Hoping for a return his senior year.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:00 am

mike.carman wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:
coach_williams wrote:

I can personally name quite a few that outwardly encourage their players to participate in other sports and then make it impossible to do so and earn a starting spot on their squad. In essence they schedule "volunteer" workouts that are essentially mandatory for their players to play in the fall. If the players do not attend they don't play and these workouts conflict with other sports practices. Puts the kids in a bad position.
i think everyone has different experiences. But, sometimes kids like to blame other coaches and use this type of thing as an excuse to quit whatever sport. I know that i've had some kids say that kind of thing about me before. However, it doesn't hold a lot of weight especially since my boy wrestles. I had 2 football players to quit wrestling last year so they could lift for football. I would not allow them to lift in our weight room until wrestling season was over or until they speak with the wrestling coach face to face because i felt it was more important to teach that once you have committed to a team, then its vital that you stick with it.

Like i said, i want all of my lineman and lb's to wrestle and my skill kids to play basketball. I have a large circle of friends who are also head football coaches and i know that many feel the same way i do. I know the Poca HC went around recruiting his players to wrestle just so they could have a team. I know that MTrail HC does the same. Now, i am sure there are coaches out there in all sports who'd rather the kids play only their sport. But, those are the coaches that do not have the best interest of the kid in mind. Anything that keeps a kid active, teaches competition, hard work, dedication, does periodic grade checks, and occupies their time is a thing that keeps kids out of trouble, off drugs, and on the right path.

So, who is gonna answer my question that i posed.......why are there so many wrestlers who do not play other sports?

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:01 am

Where is the Haines (Haynes) kid who wrestled for SA last year?

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:56 am

mscoach64 wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:I've met a few since I am a high school head football coach. I do not know one of them who try to get their kids to not wrestle or play other sports. a kid gets 4 years to be in high school and play sports and then never again. I think that maybe you are using your 2 examples to make generalized statements. I can promise you that my program and school would never allow that to happen. I hope they play basketball, wrestle, baseball, run track, etc. Works more muscle groups.

i think everyone has different experiences. But, sometimes kids like to blame other coaches and use this type of thing as an excuse to quit whatever sport. I know that i've had some kids say that kind of thing about me before. However, it doesn't hold a lot of weight especially since my boy wrestles. I had 2 football players to quit wrestling last year so they could lift for football. I would not allow them to lift in our weight room until wrestling season was over or until they speak with the wrestling coach face to face because i felt it was more important to teach that once you have committed to a team, then its vital that you stick with it.

Like i said, i want all of my lineman and lb's to wrestle and my skill kids to play basketball. I have a large circle of friends who are also head football coaches and i know that many feel the same way i do. I know the Poca HC went around recruiting his players to wrestle just so they could have a team. I know that MTrail HC does the same. Now, i am sure there are coaches out there in all sports who'd rather the kids play only their sport. But, those are the coaches that do not have the best interest of the kid in mind. Anything that keeps a kid active, teaches competition, hard work, dedication, does periodic grade checks, and occupies their time is a thing that keeps kids out of trouble, off drugs, and on the right path.

So, who is gonna answer my question that i posed.......why are there so many wrestlers who do not play other sports?

No argument there. I have just personally witnessed this happen myself. I have also seen the most prominent HS football programs in the country make it mandatory for some of their football players to wrestle even if they never wrestle a varsity match(BTW these programs are NOT in WV). Furthermore, Urban Meyer recruits multi-sport athletes. He tends to steer clear of single sport athletes. One of the most successful college coaches of all time.

Return to “High School Wrestling”