South

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
baxter841

South

Postby baxter841 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Is Irizary wrestling this year?

Bearhugger

Re: South

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:09 pm

baxter841 wrote:Is Irizary wrestling this year?

I will let somebody residing in Parkersburg answer this one.

On another subject, we had numerous discussions last season regarding allowing the B teamers to ENTER the regions and WRESTLE their way to qualifying for the state tournament. This was an effort to get the best wrestlers INTO the state tournament.

The masses seemed to NOT like the idea because:

1. No other state did this, why should West Virginia? Lets never innovate.

2. Some folks somehow interpreted this as giving a B Teamer a participation trophy because he couldn't beat out his state champion team mate and make varsity. I think it is because some coaches are afraid that the B teamer will cost them lost team points and keep them from finishing 6th instead of 7th in the team standings.

I say line them all up and let them all wrestle.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

technical violation

Postby technical violation » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:18 am

Bearhugger wrote:
baxter841 wrote:Is Irizary wrestling this year?

I will let somebody residing in Parkersburg answer this one.

On another subject, we had numerous discussions last season regarding allowing the B teamers to ENTER the regions and WRESTLE their way to qualifying for the state tournament. This was an effort to get the best wrestlers INTO the state tournament.

The masses seemed to NOT like the idea because:

1. No other state did this, why should West Virginia? Lets never innovate.

2. Some folks somehow interpreted this as giving a B Teamer a participation trophy because he couldn't beat out his state champion team mate and make varsity. I think it is because some coaches are afraid that the B teamer will cost them lost team points and keep them from finishing 6th instead of 7th in the team standings.

I say line them all up and let them all wrestle.

There are a few states out west that do wrestle jv kids in their st tournaments

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:37 am

Yes, Ian Irizarry is indeed wrestling.

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Ian and Windland are both at 120 this year. Windland won the wrestle off. Irazarry has wrestled some varsity and some jv matches. He is 15-2 this year with 11 pins.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Bearhugger, I'm on record in years past supporting the idea of letter B team wrestlers enter the regionals. It could be easily be done in any number of ways, including not letting them score team points. But as we know it could keep others from scoring points. I'm in favor of this, it increases competition and gives kids something more real to work for. I wrestled behind a state qualifier in the 70's. Didn't get my varsity shot until my senior year. I would not have placed or qualified for the states back then(only 2 qualified) but could have qualified in todays format of 4 qualifying. When my wrestling friend got injured my junior year(his senior) I won enough matches to earn my letter. I know I could have placed 3-4th in our region. I had beat the #4 seed during that time.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:30 pm

dunbar76 wrote:Bearhugger, I'm on record in years past supporting the idea of letter B team wrestlers enter the regionals. It could be easily be done in any number of ways, including not letting them score team points. But as we know it could keep others from scoring points. I'm in favor of this, it increases competition and gives kids something more real to work for. I wrestled behind a state qualifier in the 70's. Didn't get my varsity shot until my senior year. I would not have placed or qualified for the states back then(only 2 qualified) but could have qualified in todays format of 4 qualifying. When my wrestling friend got injured my junior year(his senior) I won enough matches to earn my letter. I know I could have placed 3-4th in our region. I had beat the #4 seed during that time.

The B teamer would only prevent another team's wrestler from scoring team points if the B teamer won the match. If the B teamer won, then he was the better wrestler on that day. The losing wrestler didn't win. His team doesn't deserve the team points.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:23 pm

If the B teamer beat his teammate, that could be bad too.
Moderator WV Mat

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:52 am

Forget the B teamers wrestling regionals. Go to 1 32 man bracket at the state tournament. Combine all classes A/AA/AAA and have 1 champion. Take top 8 from each region. You want competition, that is how you will get it.

Also, no school should be able to send 2 representatives to the state tournament. That would be like a school having 2 varsity football teams.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:49 am

Gator wrote:If the B teamer beat his teammate, that could be bad too.

If the coach is scared of this, then I guess he shouldn't let the B teamer wrestle.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:00 pm

Bring on the B teamers!

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Is Mikey Shamblin going to make it back in time for the powerade tourny.
It would be nice to have a full starting line up so they don't have to keep squeaking out wins.
LOL

fireman

Postby fireman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:30 pm

If a B teamer beats a A teamer then he becomes a A teamer. Don't they do this at wrestle offs ? This forces them to work hard and get the spot back. B teamer can go to jv matches. Don't mess up what's been established for 50 years. Next thing will be everybody gets a trophy. Just my .02 cents worth. Must be nice to have enough guys to have wrestle offs... at JCI,,, there were a LOT of forfeits.... A LOT of very small teams from small schools. But the 4 , 5, guys on the team were getting it done

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:27 pm

NoShowjoe, are you saying that South will Win powerade as a team?

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:08 am

WP1992 wrote:NoShowjoe, are you saying that South will Win powerade as a team?

I think it was his attempt at humor because South has won by a big margin against West Virginia teams? I wish south Indy and St. Albans good luck at Powerade I admire them for taking on the challenge.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:28 am

There are two teams at Powerade ranked in the top 10 in the nation and a couple others ranked in the top 20. ( I just glanced, may have missed others).
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:26 am

fireman wrote:If a B teamer beats a A teamer then he becomes a A teamer. Don't they do this at wrestle offs ? This forces them to work hard and get the spot back. B teamer can go to jv matches. Don't mess up what's been established for 50 years. Next thing will be everybody gets a trophy. Just my .02 cents worth. Must be nice to have enough guys to have wrestle offs... at JCI,,, there were a LOT of forfeits.... A LOT of very small teams from small schools. But the 4 , 5, guys on the team were getting it done

Last season, WV had 3-4 wrestlers in AAA and AA/A combined that would have qualified for the state tournament. A couple more than likely would have placed. As for the other 100 plus B teamers, they would have went 0-2 or 1-2 in the regions. The 3-4 few that would have qualified would have made the state tournament BETTER! They would have also paved the way for future B teamers to stay with it.

We have the same situation this season. Probably 3-4 really good ones.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:43 am

Gator wrote:There are two teams at Powerade ranked in the top 10 in the nation and a couple others ranked in the top 20. ( I just glanced, may have missed others).

#1 is typically there. (I can't recall the last time Blair was not #1 in the nation, maybe St. Eds had a good year at some point? )
South, with their full roster, should be in the Top 10.
sentenceseller

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:47 am

Bearhugger wrote:
fireman wrote:If a B teamer beats a A teamer then he becomes a A teamer. Don't they do this at wrestle offs ? This forces them to work hard and get the spot back. B teamer can go to jv matches. Don't mess up what's been established for 50 years. Next thing will be everybody gets a trophy. Just my .02 cents worth. Must be nice to have enough guys to have wrestle offs... at JCI,,, there were a LOT of forfeits.... A LOT of very small teams from small schools. But the 4 , 5, guys on the team were getting it done

Last season, WV had 3-4 wrestlers in AAA and AA/A combined that would have qualified for the state tournament. A couple more than likely would have placed. As for the other 100 plus B teamers, they would have went 0-2 or 1-2 in the regions. The 3-4 few that would have qualified would have made the state tournament BETTER! They would have also paved the way for future B teamers to stay with it.

That you are this incredulous over a couple decent JV wrestlers says something about WV wrestling. How many B-teamers do you think there are in PA/OH that would rock our state tournament, or at least qualify for their own? Every team should have B-teams that provide tough competition for starting spots. Bringing JV wrestlers into the regional tournaments is not going to help the sport of wrestling.
sentenceseller

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:41 pm

South should end up 3-5 depending on how well they wrestle. If south would've had their full team at ironman they would've placed 8-9. Lhp and Wyoming seminary are the only teams I see that have to much firepower for south to beat.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:26 pm

greencrush wrote:
Gator wrote:There are two teams at Powerade ranked in the top 10 in the nation and a couple others ranked in the top 20. ( I just glanced, may have missed others).

#1 is typically there. (I can't recall the last time Blair was not #1 in the nation, maybe St. Eds had a good year at some point? )

I looked at the list of teams this year and did not see # 1 Blair or #7 St Eds listed.
Moderator WV Mat

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Gator wrote:
greencrush wrote:

I looked at the list of teams this year and did not see # 1 Blair or #7 St Eds listed.

I just checked, you're right.
Looks like (and I may have missed one):
#5 Wyoming Seminary
#7 Lake highland prep
#19 Clovis
#37 Parkersburg South
#41 St. Pauls
#50 Kiski
Flo is also highlighting Camden Catholic?, looks like a New Jersey school.

"For the third season, the prestigious Powerade kicks off with a youth/ Jr. High tournament on the 27th, a Junior Varsity tournament on the 28th, and the main event on the 29th and 30th.Kurt, McHenry, Joey Silva, Gavin Teasdale, Trent Hidlay, and Braxton Amos headline a field that consists of Wyoming Seminary, Lake Highland Prep, Clovis West, Camden Catholic, and 40 other of the nation's best teams."

It would be great for South if they could crack the top 5 in a field crowded with PA's top talent. I'm also interested to see how Independence performs. They should have a good showing.
sentenceseller

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:02 pm

19 Clovis isn't the Clovis west that will be at Powerade.

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Just stirring the pot WP1992. I do think they could finish as high as
3rd with or without Shamblin.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:37 pm

csmith11 wrote:19 Clovis isn't the Clovis west that will be at Powerade.

Interesting, I wonder why Flo is highlighting them over some of the nationally ranked teams? Perhaps they are confused as well...
I saw that "Clovis, Ca" placed 32nd at the Ironman, and "Clovis North, Ca" placed 47th...
sentenceseller

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:13 pm

Time will tell where South deserves to be in the very mythical top 40 high school teams in the country. As the Flowrestling lead in states, in high school it is very difficult, because of the dual meet strength as opposed to the elite tournament strength. One problem with ranking South at this point is that they have only one major tournament thus far while others have added Beast, Reno, and others. Powerade will obviously either help or hurt. They did actually tie # 14, and beat #'s 18, 19, 23, 24, and 25, among others at Ironman. Had they been able to win one more match in their first dual of the year with Wadsworth and come out on top it would have added to their credibility, however a win is a win and a loss is a loss. I would note that in TOM rankings they are at # 26. It will take everyone wrestling at their best for them to compete at Powerade.
Good luck to all the WV wrestlers there and know your entire state is behind you.
Same for those at other out of state tournaments.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Gator wrote:If the B teamer beat his teammate, that could be bad too.

If the coach is scared of this, then I guess he shouldn't let the B teamer wrestle.

When you have 2 evenly matched kids in the same weight class wrestling 1 point wrestle offs and you say you want the best kids at the state tournament, then how does the "scared" coach not enter them both? Not just one weight class, but 3! And I'm not saying that B teamers should be allowed to compete in the state tournament. Just, what if?

And I guarantee you this coach is not scared!
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:05 pm

greencrush wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

That you are this incredulous over a couple decent JV wrestlers says something about WV wrestling. How many B-teamers do you think there are in PA/OH that would rock our state tournament, or at least qualify for their own? Every team should have B-teams that provide tough competition for starting spots. Bringing JV wrestlers into the regional tournaments is not going to help the sport of wrestling.

I do not care about PA. I am talking about WV. I suggest the people who live in WV, start worrying about WV. It is ridiculous to hold yourself back based on what another state does or does not do. If I followed what others did in my teens, I wouldn't be here.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
greencrush wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

I do not care about PA. I am talking about WV. I suggest the people who live in WV, start worrying about WV. It is ridiculous to hold yourself back based on what another state does or does not do. If I followed what others did in my teens, I wouldn't be here.

My point went right over your head. Adding WV's generally weak population of JV wrestlers to Regional tournaments will water them down, not strengthen them.
I know, I know- Everyone gets a trophy nowadays. I just don't subscribe to that notion. Sorry if I'm not modern or liberal enough for you.
Earn the starting spot, or sit on the bench. That is the way sports work. Wrestling is supposed to teach that hard work and dedication get you somewhere, not that losing wrestle-offs earns you the same opportunity as the person who worked hard to beat you.
You are talking about holding back, not me.
sentenceseller

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Bearhugger is right on with this one. Don't worry about other states. Lead, do not follow. B team wrestlers would be good for the kids wrestling, for the crowds at the meet and a little boost for the finances of the host team. Kids need opportunity. We as a state, coaches and fans need to provide opportunities. Not roadblocks.

Return to “High School Wrestling”