Scores Mean Nothing......OR Do They????

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Scores Mean Nothing......OR Do They????

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:49 pm

Through December 23rd, many teams have entered their scores. Some schools have done a good job and some schools have not.

In going through the scores, line by line, we have 11 AAA schools that have FOUR or less scores posted.

Some schools have benefitted by having their school’s scores posted because their opponent is the one that submitted the scores. I gave both schools credit for the “score”.

There might be a few schools that have been involved in tournaments and less duals, thus less scores listed.

Here is the breakdown by region:

Region 1 has four schools (4/7 = 57%) that has 4 or less scores posted.

Region 2 has three schools (3/7 = 43%) that has 4 or less scores posted.

Region 3 has three schools (3/8 = 37.5%) that has 4 or less scores posted.

Region 4 has one school (1/7 = 14%) that has 4 or less scores posted.

Last season, region 4 was without a doubt the toughest in AAA. Through December 23rd, 2017, region 4 is also the toughest in posting their scores. Obviously this is just a coincidence!

Here are some additional coincidences:

1. Of the eleven schools discussed above, FOUR scored four or less points at the 2017 WV State Tournament.
2. Of the eleven schools discussed above, THREE do not have their 2017/2018 wrestling schedule posted on WVMAT.

We already know that wrestling has always gotten less recognition in comparison to football and basketball. However, how can your team attempt to be noticed when scores are not posted and/or your schedule is unknown?

I am sure that these same schools will also have some of the smallest rosters also.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

P.H.D.

Re: Scores Mean Nothing......OR Do They????

Postby P.H.D. » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Here is a silly idea. The referees are getting paid, Add that to their list of responsibilities. Hell, tack on an extra $10 or $20 to their pay to ensure they report it within 2 hrs of match completion. I know in this day and age it is a crazy idea to put such a heavy burden on someone but since everyone in the world is sitting with their face buried in a phone all day it’s hardly a unreasonable request.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:13 pm

P.H.D. wrote:Here is a silly idea. The referees are getting paid, Add that to their list of responsibilities. Hell, tack on an extra $10 or $20 to their pay to ensure they report it within 2 hrs of match completion. I know in this day and age it is a crazy idea to put such a heavy burden on someone but since everyone in the world is sitting with their face buried in a phone all day it’s hardly a unreasonable request.

This is probably another subject to be discussed on another day but being a ref has to be easier than it was 10-15 years ago due to all the forfeits. You do not need to know anything or do anything to raise a kid's arm in the air. However, it is not the refs' fault that they have less matches to officiate.

technical violation

Postby technical violation » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
P.H.D. wrote:Here is a silly idea. The referees are getting paid, Add that to their list of responsibilities. Hell, tack on an extra $10 or $20 to their pay to ensure they report it within 2 hrs of match completion. I know in this day and age it is a crazy idea to put such a heavy burden on someone but since everyone in the world is sitting with their face buried in a phone all day it’s hardly a unreasonable request.

This is probably another subject to be discussed on another day but being a ref has to be easier than it was 10-15 years ago due to all the forfeits. You do not need to know anything or do anything to raise a kid's arm in the air. However, it is not the refs' fault that they have less matches to officiate.

Bear I would half to say that your are half accurate, yes to some degree it it's eaiser with forfeits, u don't get as tired and you are a bit more fresh for matches. And your right it's not the refs fault for the forfeits , maybe if this trend continues , my recommendation would be to reshuffle the weight classes , or eliminate two weight classes to help have fuller teams and more competitive rooms.
On the flip side as an official , I don't think they are necessarily eaiser to officiate, look at the new rule change this year with the oob near fall/falls, not only do we have to look for the criteria , but have to be in position to make sure the offensive wrestler has his kness/hip etc in bounds. With some other thoughts, the kids today aren't like the kids of yesteryear, it's eaiser to scout,per the internet, the kids are more advanced with training,they scramble and scramble , and these situations are getting tougher and tougher to call , that aside with the internet there is a 150% increase with scrutiny with officials and their calls , and there is more pressure involved to "make the right call" according to the Monday morning quaterbacks , the kids are learning new and diffrent things each year and are being taught how to use rules to their advantage , and us officials have to keep up on our game to keep up on theirs , wich we do, I know in our boars meetings the conversations about rules changes and situations can get very in depth and we take it very seriously , bottom line, it's a diffrent type of wrestler today

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:15 pm

technical violation wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Bear I would half to say that your are half accurate, yes to some degree it it's eaiser with forfeits, u don't get as tired and you are a bit more fresh for matches. And your right it's not the refs fault for the forfeits , maybe if this trend continues , my recommendation would be to reshuffle the weight classes , or eliminate two weight classes to help have fuller teams and more competitive rooms.
On the flip side as an official , I don't think they are necessarily eaiser to officiate, look at the new rule change this year with the oob near fall/falls, not only do we have to look for the criteria , but have to be in position to make sure the offensive wrestler has his kness/hip etc in bounds. With some other thoughts, the kids today aren't like the kids of yesteryear, it's eaiser to scout,per the internet, the kids are more advanced with training,they scramble and scramble , and these situations are getting tougher and tougher to call , that aside with the internet there is a 150% increase with scrutiny with officials and their calls , and there is more pressure involved to "make the right call" according to the Monday morning quaterbacks , the kids are learning new and diffrent things each year and are being taught how to use rules to their advantage , and us officials have to keep up on our game to keep up on theirs , wich we do, I know in our boars meetings the conversations about rules changes and situations can get very in depth and we take it very seriously , bottom line, it's a diffrent type of wrestler today

Your commentary provides solid points. Reducing weight classes is not a good idea.

technical violation

Postby technical violation » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm not nessicarily in favor of eliminating classes, but if the trend continues , I could see the nfhs reshuffle the classes or maybe eliminate

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Here is another silly idea. How about the people who run the tournament post the scores?

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:11 pm

I am personally thankful that Dr Miller provides a site, thankful for those that utilize the site, but also understand that there is absolutely no requirement from any coach or official to post the results. Thankful for those that do, but won't sit here on a high horse and bash others with an entitled expectation for others to serve me.

Thank you to those who do, for those that don't, wish you would but am sure you have your reasons.

Another season, same complaints!

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:20 pm

maskedman wrote:I am personally thankful that Dr Miller provides a site, thankful for those that utilize the site, but also understand that there is absolutely no requirement from any coach or official to post the results. Thankful for those that do, but won't sit here on a high horse and bash others with an entitled expectation for others to serve me.

Thank you to those who do, for those that don't, wish you would but am sure you have your reasons.

I’m not feeling entitled to team scores masked man. I just had an idea. To be truthful, I could care less who scores what. I just threw my 2 cents in. The ref is the official, who better to see that the official score is officially documented?

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:30 pm

P.H.D. wrote:
maskedman wrote:I am personally thankful that Dr Miller provides a site, thankful for those that utilize the site, but also understand that there is absolutely no requirement from any coach or official to post the results. Thankful for those that do, but won't sit here on a high horse and bash others with an entitled expectation for others to serve me.

I’m not feeling entitled to team scores masked man. I just had an idea. To be truthful, I could care less who scores what. I just threw my 2 cents in. The ref is the official, who better to see that the official score is officially documented?

PHD, personally I thought your idea was great from a stand point of getting the scores. Was not a knock on your idea what so ever. Actually I am a huge proponent of if you call out a problem, then provide a solution, you did and it was one that made very logical sense. My point was not an attack at your idea, I think we all sometimes forget that this site is a huge bonus. This is not a sanctioned site, not a required site, not a sponsored site by the WVSSAC, but a priveledge provided by one man's work and one man's money.

You have never been one to complain in an angry or frustrated manner over not getting what you want out of this site, as far as I know.

My comment was more of a reminder that there is no requirements so be thankful for those that do, not angered by those who don't.

Sorry to strike a nerve. Next round of egg nog is one me.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:06 pm

maskedman wrote:
P.H.D. wrote:

PHD, personally I thought your idea was great from a stand point of getting the scores. Was not a knock on your idea what so ever. Actually I am a huge proponent of if you call out a problem, then provide a solution, you did and it was one that made very logical sense. My point was not an attack at your idea, I think we all sometimes forget that this site is a huge bonus. This is not a sanctioned site, not a required site, not a sponsored site by the WVSSAC, but a priveledge provided by one man's work and one man's money.

You have never been one to complain in an angry or frustrated manner over not getting what you want out of this site, as far as I know.

My comment was more of a reminder that there is no requirements so be thankful for those that do, not angered by those who don't.

Sorry to strike a nerve. Next round of egg nog is one me.

WVMAT is a great site!!!!! Doc can only do what he can with what is provided. However, scores are a form of promoting wrestling. The wrestlers are entitled to have their accomplishments communicated just like the football and basketball scores on the daily news. We wonder why wrestling participation is down. Its a lot of hard work and little to no recognition. Posting the scores is something the coach, assistant coach or team "helper" has full control of. It just takes some effort.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:55 pm

Bearhugger's last post gets back to the reason for his oeiginal post, which had nothing to do with any complaint. It pointed out that to some extent one might reap what they sow. If you promote your team and wrestlers it might help your program over time and he gave some statistics. Not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg, but this is a source and site for free advertisement. Maybe if there might be an easier way for people to submit the raw data (such as text photo) someone else might be willing to format and submit it. I'm not making a joke, I'm guessing truesouthfaninparkersburg would be more than willing to handle that task. Just adding another 2 cents.(also just noticed my phone's keyboard doesn't have a cent sign-pennies really must be worthless)

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:30 pm

KDunbar wrote:Bearhugger's last post gets back to the reason for his oeiginal post, which had nothing to do with any complaint. It pointed out that to some extent one might reap what they sow. If you promote your team and wrestlers it might help your program over time and he gave some statistics. Not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg, but this is a source and site for free advertisement. Maybe if there might be an easier way for people to submit the raw data (such as text photo) someone else might be willing to format and submit it. I'm not making a joke, I'm guessing truesouthfaninparkersburg would be more than willing to handle that task. Just adding another 2 cents.(also just noticed my phone's keyboard doesn't have a cent sign-pennies really must be worthless)

I had a boss one time that said "if you take care of the little things, the big things just happen". There are too many people in the WV wrestling world that prescribe to the mentality of "this or that doesn't mean anything".

Scores mean nothing.
Rankings mean nothing.
Weight training means nothing.
Posting your schedule means nothing.
Host a tournament, but informing the masses who is attending means nothing.
Not letting the student body know you have a wrestling team means nothing.

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:46 pm

The KHSAA, Kentucky, requires all results of every match be entered into trackwrestling for each wrestler. The print out is required at the regional seeding meeting. If it is not listed, it did not happen. That is the association requiring it. Now it is open to anyone who logs on to see it which would meet the fan intent being discussed here.

Again, they are different because this is a requirement from their governing body.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:09 am

maskedman wrote:The KHSAA, Kentucky, requires all results of every match be entered into trackwrestling for each wrestler. The print out is required at the regional seeding meeting. If it is not listed, it did not happen. That is the association requiring it. Now it is open to anyone who logs on to see it which would meet the fan intent being discussed here.

Again, they are different because this is a requirement from their governing body.

It is amazing what can be accomplished when something becomes a requirement.

This idea should be submitted to the coaches' committee for review. Upon review, it can be submitted to the governing body, we wait for the two years required, and then it is forgotten.

Return to “High School Wrestling”