Winners Choice Matches

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
KennyFPowers

Re: Winners Choice Matches

Postby KennyFPowers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:42 am

I was aware of the website 69fan, but the results weren’t updated until after 9pm last night. However, I could check live results of almost any other tournament as theyv were being entered and updated throughout the day/evening. The wrestling tourney site will update instantaneously too as long as someone is entering the results.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:04 am

Cole Laya vs Wyatt Henson in the semis today. Great stuff!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Cole Laya vs Wyatt Henson in the semis today. Great stuff!!!!!

Updates?
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

JMfan

Postby JMfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Henson beat Laya 5-2

Windyknob

Postby Windyknob » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:50 pm

NightTrain wrote:Why are the Hensons boys wrestling out of PA and not here in WV

Well that answer is as plain as the nose in your face! Our money, West Virginia money that is, is good enough for Sammy to line his pickets with, but our schools and high school wrestling programs are not good enough for Royalty like the Almighty Henson’s!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Maybe he transferred schools cause he was JV in WV and couldn’t wrestle in regionals or states. Just kidding, but that’s what a lot of posts on this forum state on the JV kids that have superior talent when they lose their wrestle offs.

cspranger

Postby cspranger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:43 pm

I certainly don’t like it that Coach Henson moved his kids to PA. Neither have I cared for it in recent years when other top talent from WV moved within state to find better wrestling programs and competition. But, can you really blame them? If you live outside of Wood County in WV, you are not residing anywhere where there is a true wrestling culture. Yes good things have occurred in certain places because of great coaching and groups of committed parents and kids. But is it consistent? What will it take to make WV prep wrestling competitive with states like PA? If I had a kid who I believed was good enough to be on track for a D-1 or Olympic career, I would not hesitate to relocate him to the best program I could find - in state or out; and in particular where in the room and on the road competition is high level. And I might add likely so would the detractors on this thread. The real problem as noted above is how do we evolve so that this is no longer an issue. Rather than fuss over Henson’s smart decision for his own kids, perhaps we should be talking about how he and other WV Collegiate Coaches could be working together with prep coaching and communities to make WV a top tier wrestling state.

pin2win

Postby pin2win » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:07 pm

cspranger wrote:I certainly don’t like it that Coach Henson moved his kids to PA. Neither have I cared for it in recent years when other top talent from WV moved within state to find better wrestling programs and competition. But, can you really blame them? If you live outside of Wood County in WV, you are not residing anywhere where there is a true wrestling culture. Yes good things have occurred in certain places because of great coaching and groups of committed parents and kids. But is it consistent? What will it take to make WV prep wrestling competitive with states like PA? If I had a kid who I believed was good enough to be on track for a D-1 or Olympic career, I would not hesitate to relocate him to the best program I could find - in state or out; and in particular where in the room and on the road competition is high level. And I might add likely so would the detractors on this thread. The real problem as noted above is how do we evolve so that this is no longer an issue. Rather than fuss over Henson’s smart decision for his own kids, perhaps we should be talking about how he and other WV Collegiate Coaches could be working together with prep coaching and communities to make WV a top tier wrestling state.

Agree with you 100%..hes doing what is best for his boys just like any other parent would do.

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:58 pm

pin2win wrote:
cspranger wrote:I certainly don’t like it that Coach Henson moved his kids to PA. Neither have I cared for it in recent years when other top talent from WV moved within state to find better wrestling programs and competition. But, can you really blame them? If you live outside of Wood County in WV, you are not residing anywhere where there is a true wrestling culture. Yes good things have occurred in certain places because of great coaching and groups of committed parents and kids. But is it consistent? What will it take to make WV prep wrestling competitive with states like PA? If I had a kid who I believed was good enough to be on track for a D-1 or Olympic career, I would not hesitate to relocate him to the best program I could find - in state or out; and in particular where in the room and on the road competition is high level. And I might add likely so would the detractors on this thread. The real problem as noted above is how do we evolve so that this is no longer an issue. Rather than fuss over Henson’s smart decision for his own kids, perhaps we should be talking about how he and other WV Collegiate Coaches could be working together with prep coaching and communities to make WV a top tier wrestling state.

Agree with you 100%..hes doing what is best for his boys just like any other parent would do.

Wait but who in their right mind wouldn’t want their kids wrestling for one of WV’s most decorated coaches at university?

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:03 am

MaleMatMaid wrote:
pin2win wrote:

Wait but who in their right mind wouldn’t want their kids wrestling for one of WV’s most decorated coaches at university?

Not cool! Just because he was co-coach of the year last season with limited talent you should not post such nonsense.
South has talented feeder programs, and nothing to take away from South coach but I personally believe coach of the year goes to a coach that makes most out of limited talent not just the team that wins the state.

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:08 am

vortexfan wrote:
MaleMatMaid wrote:
pin2win wrote:

Not cool! Just because he was co-coach of the year last season with limited talent you should not post such nonsense.
South has talented feeder programs, and nothing to take away from South coach but I personally believe coach of the year goes to a coach that makes most out of limited talent not just the team that wins the state.

True that! You can put ANYCOACH. Heck a basketball coach that knows nothing about wrestling and he would win titles at Park South but that’s ok takes a lot of work and stress off the staff....

I was a South doubter until I went and watched a dual last week. I still think people overdue them on here and that’s all we hear about but they were really good. But still there are other people in this state we can talk about it seems everywhere on this park South gets brought up!

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:32 am

vortexfan wrote:
MaleMatMaid wrote:
pin2win wrote:

Yeahhhh I guess beating every team by 100 points isn’t quite enough. Maybe 150 this year will be

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:41 am

wrestlingfan23202 wrote:
vortexfan wrote:
MaleMatMaid wrote:

True that! You can put ANYCOACH. Heck a basketball coach that knows nothing about wrestling and he would win titles at Park South but that’s ok takes a lot of work and stress off the staff....

I was a South doubter until I went and watched a dual last week. I still think people overdue them on here and that’s all we hear about but they were really good. But still there are other people in this state we can talk about it seems everywhere on this park South gets brought up!

:lol: :lol: :lol: what a complete and utter ignorant statement. It’s obvious that you don’t know anything about wrestling and I certainly doubt that a b-ball coach and especially someone like you could make South a top 25 nationally ranked team either

RConley

Postby RConley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 am

This topic is I thought winners choice matchups. There was only one match mentioned Laya vs Henson. So there were no other matchups worth mentioning. Just the usual pro south rhetoric. I’m sure there is another place for that. Disappointed

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:31 am

106 had some great head to heads that were close the entire match between Stockett, Dolan, Casuccio, and Donahue.

113 was controlled by Whorton. West and Staggs wrestled twice with two different results.

120 as mentioned Laya and Henson, and Henson and Staud both good matches.

126 Whorton was dominant over the field, Simpson knocked off Lorea in semi OT match.

132 Flints pin over Moler. Morris from Waynesburg is pretty good.

138 Best from Parkersburg slowed match down with Henson, but was Benson's control throughout. 5 to 1 I think

152 Kincell and Mitchell wrestled twice with two different results. Spiders and Mitchell were close. Howard from Waynesburg was dominant.

170 Pine vs Kotsko was super close match. Pine vs Hommett was supposed to be match of the day. Did not meet expectation of being as close as expected.

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:26 am

MaleMatMaid wrote:
wrestlingfan23202 wrote:
vortexfan wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: what a complete and utter ignorant statement. It’s obvious that you don’t know anything about wrestling and I certainly doubt that a b-ball coach and especially someone like you could make South a top 25 nationally ranked team either

Actually I know a lot about wrestling I’ve COACHED high school wrestling for many years. I was being sarcastic. And my point was they have great feeder programs that make them great!

Iron cardinal

Postby Iron cardinal » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:58 pm

170 hard to wrestle a kid that runs to the line and just blocks everything. I thought you were supposed to score points? And don't even get me started about the coach / ref meeting on the mat before the match starts.

fireman

Postby fireman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:59 pm

#1 Pinning combination. Man flat on back, wrestler out of bounds. Man on top was clearly in bounds ... no takedown awarded. (Finals)

#2 high leg single. Wrestler shoves opponent out of bounds. Other wrestler called for fleeing mat awarded 1 point. Score 3--2.(Quarter Finals)

#3 Wrestler stalled half of second period and almost entire 3rd. Flat on stomach no moving. Was not called for stalling. (Quarter Finals)

Officials no longer officiate. They are now deciding match outcomes.

pkbwrestling

Postby pkbwrestling » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:34 pm

wrestlingfan23202 wrote:
MaleMatMaid wrote:
wrestlingfan23202 wrote:

Actually I know a lot about wrestling I’ve COACHED high school wrestling for many years. I was being sarcastic. And my point was they have great feeder programs that make them great!

They also have a large group of their kids who are wrestling and training to wrestle year round. A lot of schools don’t even have full teams. Most schools are lucky to have 1-2 kids who are full time wrestlers. Coach Smith keeps them in line and certainly teaches them how to win in high school, how to be men(women), and makes sure they are in top shape. I don’t think anyone would claim he’s not a great coach. As lucky are those kids are to have him, imagine how lucky you’d be having any other sports team with that many studs. A football team with 9-10 first team all staters. A basketball team full of d1 prospects. Crazy talent at South right now. I still think some of those late 90’s South teams would give them a run.

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:32 pm

pkbwrestling wrote:
wrestlingfan23202 wrote:
MaleMatMaid wrote:

They also have a large group of their kids who are wrestling and training to wrestle year round. A lot of schools don’t even have full teams. Most schools are lucky to have 1-2 kids who are full time wrestlers. Coach Smith keeps them in line and certainly teaches them how to win in high school, how to be men(women), and makes sure they are in top shape. I don’t think anyone would claim he’s not a great coach. As lucky are those kids are to have him, imagine how lucky you’d be having any other sports team with that many studs. A football team with 9-10 first team all staters. A basketball team full of d1 prospects. Crazy talent at South right now. I still think some of those late 90’s South teams would give them a run.

Coach smith is awesome

Dockers

Postby Dockers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:00 am

So who won MOW? It isn't posted anywhere that I can find.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:07 am

Dockers wrote:So who won MOW? It isn't posted anywhere that I can find.

One of the Hensons
Moderator WV Mat

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 am

Windyknob wrote:
NightTrain wrote:Why are the Hensons boys wrestling out of PA and not here in WV

Well that answer is as plain as the nose in your face! Our money, West Virginia money that is, is good enough for Sammy to line his pickets with, but our schools and high school wrestling programs are not good enough for Royalty like the Almighty Henson’s!

Maybe if they were wrestling in WV, they would be able to win a powerade title. Seems like the WV boys we sent up there performed exponentially better than anyone from Meyersdale.
Also, South crushed them at Powerade, and would have done the same at Winners Choice.

On another note. Kyle Hommet from Waynesbhrg placed #2 at Powerade, and Cameron Pine handled him very well, 7-4. Great job beating a Powerade finalist!
sentenceseller

JoeGio76

Postby JoeGio76 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:00 pm

john wrote:Cspranger, I agree with you on your post. To further comment, Coach Henson, Marable, Felix, and DiAngelo held clinics Weekly in the MRTC all summer long. On top of that they traveled once a month to separate high schools throughout the state to Parkersburg South, Parkersburg, Mussleman, and a couple other schools (I don’t remember the school down in the southern part) to hold clinics. You do what is best for your kid or kids not what makes everybody happy. Your right the detractors will never be happy but would do the same thing. They have helped Brayden and a lot of kids in the state a lot since he has been here and brought WVU wrestling program up the ranking with their recruiting. All top notch guys.

John Marshall Hosted the WVU coaches 4 times this fall. Also for 4 straight Thursdays, The MRTC hosted anyone interested in coming and getting some extra work. Barely anyone showed up. On one particular Thursday only one of the middle school kids from Moundsville and 1 other boy about 11-12 years old showed up. So you had 4 members of the US World Team there to help anyone looking for help and 2 middle school kids showed up. The clinics held at John Marshall were advertised on WVMat and you could attend all 4 sessions for $40 total. Not 1 kid outside of JM and its feeder middle schools and youth programs showed up. Don't blame it on Henson when they leave for places where wrestling is a priority. Waynesburg happens to only be 25 miles from home.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:20 pm

JoeGio76 wrote:
john wrote:Cspranger, I agree with you on your post. To further comment, Coach Henson, Marable, Felix, and DiAngelo held clinics Weekly in the MRTC all summer long. On top of that they traveled once a month to separate high schools throughout the state to Parkersburg South, Parkersburg, Mussleman, and a couple other schools (I don’t remember the school down in the southern part) to hold clinics. You do what is best for your kid or kids not what makes everybody happy. Your right the detractors will never be happy but would do the same thing. They have helped Brayden and a lot of kids in the state a lot since he has been here and brought WVU wrestling program up the ranking with their recruiting. All top notch guys.

John Marshall Hosted the WVU coaches 4 times this fall. Also for 4 straight Thursdays, The MRTC hosted anyone interested in coming and getting some extra work. Barely anyone showed up. On one particular Thursday only one of the middle school kids from Moundsville and 1 other boy about 11-12 years old showed up. So you had 4 members of the US World Team there to help anyone looking for help and 2 middle school kids showed up. The clinics held at John Marshall were advertised on WVMat and you could attend all 4 sessions for $40 total. Not 1 kid outside of JM and its feeder middle schools and youth programs showed up. Don't blame it on Henson when they leave for places where wrestling is a priority. Waynesburg happens to only be 25 miles from home.

Waynesburg has a good bunch of wrestlers (sparring partners) and they wrestle a tough schedule.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

JoeGio76

Postby JoeGio76 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:27 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
JoeGio76 wrote:

Waynesburg has a good bunch of wrestlers (sparring partners) and they wrestle a tough schedule.

Absolutely. I don't blame him a bit. His kids will way better competition and practice in Waynesburg. Ive never understood why anyone ever feels the need to comment on why someone chooses certain things for their kids. Its THEIR kids, they can choose what they think is best for them. Its none of anyone else's business.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 pm

Is there even a question as to the toughest tournament in state? The Winner's Choice is just about every year, but especially this year! It looks like the Brooke tournament and WSAZ would be 2nd and 3rd.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:48 pm

Your are definetly overlooking the OVAC tournament I. Wheeling.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:02 am

Yea the OVAC is tough too but not as tough as the Winners Choice.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 am

:lol: WSAZ doesn't look bad this year.
Ovaec is a conference tournament...
sentenceseller

Return to “High School Wrestling”