Favorite Venue to watch wrestling in WV?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mscoach4

Re: Favorite Venue to watch wrestling in WV?

Postby mscoach4 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 pm

The most everything (loud, crowded, hot, intense etc) sporting event I ever attended in WV was the 1977 WV championship tournament at PHS Memorial Fieldhouse. It ended with 4 teams separated by 3 1/2 points at the top of the team standings. I am partial to the Fieldhouse but the Wheeling civic center is an awful nice place to watch wrestling. The worst may have been the old Fieldhouse in Huntington.

Scar73

Postby Scar73 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:17 pm

WVU Coliseum not bad idea. How many mats can go there without view being obstructed in middle. Are those folks interested in putting it together?

Scar73

Postby Scar73 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm

Oh, and the announcer that did the WHEELING PARK DUALS and OVAC'S, does an awesome job! Follows and announces the action well and is entertaining to listen to. He keeps folks updated and involved. He knows wrestling, which makes it easier for him. The WPHS home announcer may even be interested in assisting.

Drut

Postby Drut » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 pm

I would have to say that Wesbanco Arena is the best place in the state. I'm not sure it's even close as far as watching event. I agree concessions are pricey but don't think there's a big difference between Wesbanco and Big Sandy is there?

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 am

Big Sandy Arena , at this years WSAZ’s once again proved why its the worst venue in the state for viewing an event.
1: “Myrtle Beach type” conditions in the seats above the lower aisle.
2: the usual obstructed view of about 30% of the near mats compounded by no floor security. So many wrestlers, fans and coaches were milling around on the floor next to mats that they often stood in the way of the score cubes on the mats. Fans were essentially permitted to walk right on to the arena floor, thru the barricades ( that were not manned) and stand inches from the mats.
3: not enough scoring machines so they opted for score keeping that was done at the table only, so no one in the stands knew the score or time remaining of 3 or 4 of the mats.
4: programs that were essentially worthless..

If you are the type of fan that truly wants to view the wrestling( all of the wrestling), if you actually want to see the score of the matches ( all of the matches) , if you like to have a program in which you can track the wrestlers and matches then this is a horrible venue and tournament. If you just wanna hang out and chat and watch an occaisonal match and are willing to move down to the railing to actually see that particular match then its a great place/tournament.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Big Sandy Arena , at this years WSAZ’s once again proved why its the worst venue in the state for viewing an event.
1: “Myrtle Beach type” conditions in the seats above the lower aisle.
2: the usual obstructed view of about 30% of the near mats compounded by no floor security. So many wrestlers, fans and coaches were milling around on the floor next to mats that they often stood in the way of the score cubes on the mats. Fans were essentially permitted to walk right on to the arena floor, thru the barricades ( that were not manned) and stand inches from the mats.
3: not enough scoring machines so they opted for score keeping that was done at the table only, so no one in the stands knew the score or time remaining of 3 or 4 of the mats.
4: programs that were essentially worthless..

If you are the type of fan that truly wants to view the wrestling( all of the wrestling), if you actually want to see the score of the matches ( all of the matches) , if you like to have a program in which you can track the wrestlers and matches then this is a horrible venue and tournament. If you just wanna hang out and chat and watch an occaisonal match and are willing to move down to the railing to actually see that particular match then its a great place/tournament.

I am not disputing your "personal" experiences but they are the opposite of mine.

You obviously sit too far down. Climb the stairs and get up higher. I didn't experience any of the "obstructed" view situations you speak of.

Programs have been "more worthless" than useful at all events, all the time. The brackets get printed up and then there is a scratch afterwards. We have online, real time brackets now at the WSAZ.

Yes, there were a few mats without the large scoring machines. I come armed with binoculars and I can see everything, everywhere and anybody.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

WIfan

Postby WIfan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 am

So it seems like the State High School Tournament needs to change venue! Yes/No? If it is moved, then why can’t people from around the state help ensure it is a success? Wheeling, Charleston, Morgantown, Beckley, etc. Huntington just seems like a bad location and dirty town to host a large event. Don’t we owe it to the sport to ensure it continues to grow and not continue to decline? Just throwing out some things to chew.

fireman

Postby fireman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 am

1. Pburg Field house
2. Beckley Ang.
3. Summersville Ang.
4. Clarksburg Ang.

WVU Wrestling Room. Have state tournament there. Awesome facility.
Yes I am a military , fireman ANG with my pick list

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am

Just this season alone, I have watched wrestling events in:

1. Wesbanco Arena (Wheeling Park Duals)

2. Big Sandy Arena (WSAZ)

3. The Summersville Convention Center (National Guard Duals)

Wesbanco is a nice place. However, it seems smaller to me than Big Sandy. I also manage to park around Big Sandy without having to pay. I do not see that happening around Wesbanco.

I liked the facility in Summersville better than Beckley for the National Guard Duals. But either location for the state tournament? Forget it!!!!! Having a major event in Beckley would require the whole state to be paying tolls up and down the rip off turnpike.

I heard a "story" this season regarding this topic. I have only heard this "story" once and I am not claiming it to be true. The "story" is that the state tournament when held in Wheeling, went into the red. The WVSSAC had to cover more costs when it was in Wheeling. When the state tournament is held in Huntington, it makes money and/or breaks even. Once again, I only heard this one time and I am NOT claiming any of it to be true.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mscoach88

Postby mscoach88 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:03 am

The Raleigh County Armory (which has a mile long official name) is not bad. The seating overlooks the entire floor and you're still very close to the action.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:42 am

WIfan wrote:So it seems like the State High School Tournament needs to change venue! Yes/No? If it is moved, then why can’t people from around the state help ensure it is a success? Wheeling, Charleston, Morgantown, Beckley, etc. Huntington just seems like a bad location and dirty town to host a large event. Don’t we owe it to the sport to ensure it continues to grow and not continue to decline? Just throwing out some things to chew.

I agree, at least rotate it once in a while, but believe Wheeling, Charleston or Morgantown should be serious contenders.

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:14 am

Wesbanco capacity is 5500 and big sandy is 5600 so no real difference except all of wesbancos seats are nice seats to watch from. Huntington is nicer in you can walk to several hotels and plenty of restaurants close to big sandy. I don't know if wesbanco has very many options that aren't driving distance away. Maybe they do and I just don't see them.

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:30 pm

Wheeling Wesbanco Arena would love to host the State Tournament, however, the arena has that date booked for several years. We can not put in a bid because we won't know in in advance if we can have the Arena. We have looked into it several times with the same problem occurring !Wheeling had it twice in the 80s and it was very well run.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:43 pm

what about the Civic Center in Charleston WV.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 pm

mscoach64 wrote:what about the Civic Center in Charleston WV.

It would seem that the interest or focus on wrestling in the Charleston area is not high. It takes an army of knowledge and volunteers to run the state tournament. They also host the girls and boys state basketball tournaments, so maybe spreading the wealth in this case too. The venue is good though.
Moderator WV Mat

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:33 pm

Gator wrote:

It would seem that the interest or focus on wrestling in the Charleston area is not high. It takes an army of knowledge and volunteers to run the state tournament. They also host the girls and boys state basketball tournaments, so maybe spreading the wealth in this case too. The venue is good though.
very true. plus that week is likely the same week as the wv conference basketball tourney's i believe

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:35 pm

Gator wrote:

As much as I love attending events in the WESBANCO arena in Wheeling and in the Colosseum in Morgantown, I think it should be held in the State Capital. The Charleston Civic Center is a great venue. Just my 2 cents.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

mike.carman wrote:
Gator wrote:

As much as I love attending events in the WESBANCO arena in Wheeling and in the Colosseum in Morgantown, I think it should be held in the State Capital. The Charleston Civic Center is a great venue. Just my 2 cents.

I agree as far as it being a good venue and more centrally located, but it comes down to the people running the show.
Moderator WV Mat

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Let me put my two cents in.
1. It does take a mountain of people to VOLUNTEER to run a tournament like the State tournament.
2. Wheeling's baby is the O.V.A.C and I don't think they want to run two big tournaments. (could be wrong just a hunch) PLUS they run the super 6 up there.
3. The coliseum is also a classroom for a major university. I don't see them shutting it down for 2 days and cancelling classes, then telling HUGGY no basketball games for 3 days to have a tournament.
4. Bill Archer and his grew are gracious enough to host the tournament and put them time and effort into it.

So with all that said, WE can talk about it all we want but I never see it changing from Huntington. Let's be honest no matter where it is, there is going to be pros and cons, bitching and happy people. I personally think Bill, Robby and the rest don't get the credit they deserve.

HERE IS MY IDEA
ALL THE PEOPLE ON HERE GIVING THE PROS CONS, BITCHING ETC JOIN TOGETHER. Go get the sponsors and volunteers in a place. Then decide where YOU want it and put a bid in for it.(gets bided out every two years) I am sure about 15k and 100 dedicated people who are willing to work for free could win the bid!
Buy my gut tells me in two years there will be another thread talking about had bad Huntington is and how good the tournament good be. In the meantime, Bill and his grew will continue to make sure there is a STATE TOURNAMENT.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:42 pm

forthekids wrote:Let me put my two cents in.
1. It does take a mountain of people to VOLUNTEER to run a tournament like the State tournament.
2. Wheeling's baby is the O.V.A.C and I don't think they want to run two big tournaments. (could be wrong just a hunch) PLUS they run the super 6 up there.
3. The coliseum is also a classroom for a major university. I don't see them shutting it down for 2 days and cancelling classes, then telling HUGGY no basketball games for 3 days to have a tournament.
4. Bill Archer and his grew are gracious enough to host the tournament and put them time and effort into it.

So with all that said, WE can talk about it all we want but I never see it changing from Huntington. Let's be honest no matter where it is, there is going to be pros and cons, bitching and happy people. I personally think Bill, Robby and the rest don't get the credit they deserve.

HERE IS MY IDEA
ALL THE PEOPLE ON HERE GIVING THE PROS CONS, BITCHING ETC JOIN TOGETHER. Go get the sponsors and volunteers in a place. Then decide where YOU want it and put a bid in for it.(gets bided out every two years) I am sure about 15k and 100 dedicated people who are willing to work for free could win the bid!
Buy my gut tells me in two years there will be another thread talking about had bad Huntington is and how good the tournament good be. In the meantime, Bill and his grew will continue to make sure there is a STATE TOURNAMENT.

I agree.
Count me in for the 15k though and then I'll work for free, if that is of help to anyone.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:10 pm

I'd put my vote in for the little gyms, and concession stands ran by wrestling moms.
Webster and Richwood come to mind.
It just sits right with me for some reason.
sentenceseller

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:47 pm

forthekids wrote:Let me put my two cents in.

HERE IS MY IDEA

Nice post but I don’t care how well it’s ran WHEN U CANT SEE THE MATS! I know there is a lot of work to do the tourney but if we are going to have this huge event at Big Sandy can they do something about the obstructed view? Like watching a football game just between the hash marks. Not to that extreme but view is not good for spectators (fans) and the front rows when people stand, it just needs fixed! I wouldn’t mind walking farther from my car, if u get to see what your paying for.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:58 pm

greencrush wrote:I'd put my vote in for the little gyms, and concession stands ran by wrestling moms.
Webster and Richwood come to mind.
It just sits right with me for some reason.

Not a bad choice at all. If only we could squeeze the state tournament in that venue. Concessions are usually awesome!
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”