Question #4

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Question #4

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Is it fair to say that in the end, all college wrestlers get to go to what school they want within the list of schools that want them? Nobody goes to a college against their will.

On the other hand, all high school wrestlers go to the school their parent(s) direct them to.

Help me understand all of this. Thanks
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mike.carman

Re: Question #4

Postby mike.carman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:14 pm

No. Parents have direct influence on college as well since they typically are on the hook for the tuition, room and board.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm

mike.carman wrote:No. Parents have direct influence on college as well since they typically are on the hook for the tuition, room and board.

Parents are on the hook for high school selection also. A kid goes to the high school in which they can walk or catch a school bus to. Otherwise, they need to catch a ride by their parents if they go somewhere else.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mike.carman wrote:No. Parents have direct influence on college as well since they typically are on the hook for the tuition, room and board.

Parents are on the hook for high school selection also. A kid goes to the high school in which they can walk or catch a school bus to. Otherwise, they need to catch a ride by their parents if they go somewhere else.

What is your point? This question is irrelevant.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:04 pm

An under 18 year old is a minor. Parents should rule. Over 18, well, good luck with parental influence. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't and sometimes they just sneak. LOL

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:44 am

mike.carman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

My point is that kids cannot just up and transfer to any school they choose to.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

You didn't say anything about transferring. And actually, they do and it's done all the time.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:10 pm

mike.carman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

You didn't say anything about transferring. And actually, they do and it's done all the time.

A talented kid (behind a better wrestler) that is 4th to 10th best should not have to transfer just because we (wrestling world) cannot come up with a way to have that talented individual wrestle. Sad very sad. Think about how many other things a young teenage can do besides go to demanding wrestling practices just because his fellow schoolmate is one of the best around.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 pm

I think you're missing the point. What is better than "demanding wrestling practices" for those who stick it out? I think the answer is nothing. For those who don't choose to stick it out, making it easier (just so there's no confusion for those with limited understanding, I mean easier to stick it out and not making the practices easier), isn't probably going to help them stick it out later in life when things get tough. That's the benefit of keeping it like it is, otherwise the benefit is lost. That's "traditionally" always been the "reality" and I think this fact covers and eliminates all discussion.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:28 pm

vortexfan wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

A talented kid (behind a better wrestler) that is 4th to 10th best should not have to transfer just because we (wrestling world) cannot come up with a way to have that talented individual wrestle. Sad very sad. Think about how many other things a young teenage can do besides go to demanding wrestling practices just because his fellow schoolmate is one of the best around.

there is a way for him/her to compete. Not 1 but 4 ways they can compete. Win their wrestle off, move up a weight class and win that spot, move down a weight class and win that spot, or compete as JV. How many different ways do they need until it's fair and reasonable? This whole thing is beyond ridiculous. And besides, I never said they should transfer schools, although if they and their family are that determined, that could be a 5th option. Oh yeah and a 6th option: be patient, work hard and get better and they might just beat the No. 1 guy out in time. I think it's more than fair right now. Way more opportunities than in any other sport and the decisions are not made subjectively.

Return to “High School Wrestling”