Question #5

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Question #5

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:08 pm

I do not know the entire process on how a wrestler tries out for the Olympic team. But is there anywhere in the process where a given individual is not allowed on a mat to compete as an individual?

For example, is there a limit that says "only one wrestler per weight class per college or club"? Or can anybody step on a mat somewhere and begin their march through the Olympic team selection process?

Your input is appreciated.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mike.carman

Re: Question #5

Postby mike.carman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:15 pm

You have to meet minimum qualifications which usually entails some type of open and work your way up to that. So yes there is a process.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:22 pm

mike.carman wrote:You have to meet minimum qualifications which usually entails some type of open and work your way up to that. So yes there is a process.

Yes, I know there is a process. What are the minimum qualifications? Is everybody allowed to step on a mat somewhere in the process???

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:24 pm

You have to qualify for World and Olympic Team Trials through a pre-set list of tourneys.

No limit on club participation that I know of, but there is only one person representing each country (or region) that qualifies. That is putting it simply. There is more to the process of qualifying for the olympics wround the world.

But the top two in the world at a given weight may be from the same country as we have had recently (ex. Cox/DT, JB/Dake, Snyder/Varner, etc) and only one get to compete for World and Olympic Titles.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 pm

masonbailey wrote:You have to qualify for World and Olympic Team Trials through a pre-set list of tourneys.

No limit on club participation that I know of, but there is only one person representing each country (or region) that qualifies. That is putting it simply. There is more to the process of qualifying for the olympics wround the world.

But the top two in the world at a given weight may be from the same country as we have had recently (ex. Cox/DT, JB/Dake, Snyder/Varner, etc) and only one get to compete for World and Olympic Titles.

I do not follow international wrestling close enough to know the answer, so I am asking. Burroughs has proven that he is the best in the United States at his weight class. Has Dake competed against all of the other wrestlers in the other countries to lay claim that he is the second best? Again, I am unfamiliar with the who has wrestled who when it comes to international competition.

aacoach117

Postby aacoach117 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Bearhugger wrote:I do not follow international wrestling close enough to know the answer, so I am asking. Burroughs has proven that he is the best in the United States at his weight class. Has Dake competed against all of the other wrestlers in the other countries to lay claim that he is the second best? Again, I am unfamiliar with the who has wrestled who when it comes to international competition.

I don't know that Dake or Burroughs have competed everywhere against everyone, but I know they compete other than just at Olympic qualifying events and the Olympics. I know Dake has competed in Russia, Georgia, Paris and Costa Rica.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:44 pm

aacoach117 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:I do not follow international wrestling close enough to know the answer, so I am asking. Burroughs has proven that he is the best in the United States at his weight class. Has Dake competed against all of the other wrestlers in the other countries to lay claim that he is the second best? Again, I am unfamiliar with the who has wrestled who when it comes to international competition.

I don't know that Dake or Burroughs have competed everywhere against everyone, but I know they compete other than just at Olympic qualifying events and the Olympics. I know Dake has competed in Russia, Georgia, Paris and Costa Rica.

Thank you for your feedback. Does anybody know of any top 5 wrestler in the world that Dake has defeated? Or easier, any of the top 5 Dake has stepped on the mat with?

TheBoxer

Postby TheBoxer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
aacoach117 wrote:

Thank you for your feedback. Does anybody know of any top 5 wrestler in the world that Dake has defeated? Or easier, any of the top 5 Dake has stepped on the mat with?

Not offhand for Dake. but Taylor beat an Olympic gold champion and is the backup to Cox (Olympic and world bronze)

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Larry Owings beat Gable in Gable's only college loss, Gable's last college match an NCAA final. Then Gable beat him 7-1 in the Olympic trials. Gable gave up no points, I believe, in the Olympics. Certainly some JV wrestler should have a shot to have his moment in history too!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:42 am

dunbar76 wrote:Larry Owings beat Gable in Gable's only college loss, Gable's last college match an NCAA final. Then Gable beat him 7-1 in the Olympic trials. Gable gave up no points, I believe, in the Olympics. Certainly some JV wrestler should have a shot to have his moment in history too!!!

??????????

Coach_BradleyReed

Postby Coach_BradleyReed » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:12 am

Bearhugger wrote:I do not know the entire process on how a wrestler tries out for the Olympic team. But is there anywhere in the process where a given individual is not allowed on a mat to compete as an individual?

For example, is there a limit that says "only one wrestler per weight class per college or club"? Or can anybody step on a mat somewhere and begin their march through the Olympic team selection process?

Hey Bearhugger. I read this article on Flowrestling yesterday, I will put the web address for at the bottom of this post. There are five ways to qualify for the world team trials, from there the competition gets thinned down. The criteria for this is explained in more detail at the bottom of the article contained in an attached PDF.

The five ways to qualify for the team trials are:
2017 Senior World Team Member
November 2017 Dave Schultz Highest Placer
March 2018 Bill Farrell Highest Placer
March 2018 NCAA Division 1 Champion
April 2018 U.S. Open Top 7 Finisher

Web Address: https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6 ... eam-trials

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/t ... n-criteria

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:33 am

Dake beat the #10 ranked wrestler in the world, Davit Tlashadze, to win Paris. It's unfair that he doesn't get to wrestle in the Olympics just because he is JV to Jordan Burroughs. We should be able to enter our JV wrestlers in the Olympics. The same goes for Jake Varner, who was an Olympic Champion before giving losing to Snyder at the trials (aka Olympic team wrestle offs). NOT FAIR!!! :lol:

I wonder how good these guys would be if they had been taught that 2nd place was good enough, in their youth? Still Olympic Champions?
sentenceseller

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Coach_BradleyReed wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:I do not know the entire process on how a wrestler tries out for the Olympic team. But is there anywhere in the process where a given individual is not allowed on a mat to compete as an individual?

Hey Bearhugger. I read this article on Flowrestling yesterday, I will put the web address for at the bottom of this post. There are five ways to qualify for the world team trials, from there the competition gets thinned down. The criteria for this is explained in more detail at the bottom of the article contained in an attached PDF.

The five ways to qualify for the team trials are:
2017 Senior World Team Member
November 2017 Dave Schultz Highest Placer
March 2018 Bill Farrell Highest Placer
March 2018 NCAA Division 1 Champion
April 2018 U.S. Open Top 7 Finisher

Web Address: https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6 ... eam-trials

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/t ... n-criteria

Thank you for this valuable contribution to this discussion.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:26 pm

greencrush wrote:Dake beat the #10 ranked wrestler in the world, Davit Tlashadze, to win Paris. It's unfair that he doesn't get to wrestle in the Olympics just because he is JV to Jordan Burroughs. We should be able to enter our JV wrestlers in the Olympics. The same goes for Jake Varner, who was an Olympic Champion before giving losing to Snyder at the trials (aka Olympic team wrestle offs). NOT FAIR!!! :lol:

I wonder how good these guys would be if they had been taught that 2nd place was good enough, in their youth? Still Olympic Champions?

Based on a few of your recent comments, you give off the message that second place is not good. Being runner up in the county, the conference, the region or the state is bad???? It is no wonder WV wrestling's participation is down!!!!!

mscoach90

Postby mscoach90 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:42 pm

ASPERA AD ASTRA

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
greencrush wrote:Dake beat the #10 ranked wrestler in the world, Davit Tlashadze, to win Paris. It's unfair that he doesn't get to wrestle in the Olympics just because he is JV to Jordan Burroughs. We should be able to enter our JV wrestlers in the Olympics. The same goes for Jake Varner, who was an Olympic Champion before giving losing to Snyder at the trials (aka Olympic team wrestle offs). NOT FAIR!!! :lol:

Based on a few of your recent comments, you give off the message that second place is not good. Being runner up in the county, the conference, the region or the state is bad???? It is no wonder WV wrestling's participation is down!!!!!

You are the one who made a facetious comment about taking second place.
"The traditionalists can still have their fun and strive for second place" -Bearhugger
You are now arguing with yourself.
sentenceseller

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:58 pm

greencrush wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

"The traditionalists can still have their fun and strive for second place" -Bearhugger

In AAA, second place the best any team will get for a long time. Focus on the individual aspect of the sport to obtain and retain wrestlers. Good luck.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 am

Coaches have had to eliminate a few "individuals" over the years. Trying to go it alone, forsaking your role as a "team" member is bad advice (any respectable self-appointed wrestling guru should know better). Fortunately, kids are now flocking to the sport since the 2-piece uniform saved us all.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
greencrush wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

In AAA, second place the best any team will get for a long time. Focus on the individual aspect of the sport to obtain and retain wrestlers. Good luck.

I finally get what you're driving at. The more simpler change for the WVSSAC to make is to merely reclassify Parkersburg South as AAAA based on talent pool to draw from and save all the other AAA schools at risk of losing their wrestling programs because it is all a waste of time for as far as one can see. However, I can think of quite a few programs that will probably turn down your offer to give them something actually worthwhile to go into the wrestling room for. It may have been too many years since you were actually wrestling to understand what the majority are trying to say to you. No insult intended.

Return to “High School Wrestling”