Hats?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach126

Hats?

Postby aacoach126 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Can someone provide some literature that states hats are not allowed to be worn in the coaches corner?

Truesouthfaninhunt

Re: Hats?

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:49 pm

I believe the rule clearly states that ball caps are ok but no fedoras , cowboy hats or helmets.

aacoach126

Postby aacoach126 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:54 pm

I can’t find any rule regarding hats at all

jofus

Postby jofus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:43 pm

About 50% of the coaches at the middle school coal field tournament are wearing ball caps. I haven't seen any fedoras or Stetsons though.

KennyFPowers

Postby KennyFPowers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:48 pm

The ballcap doesn’t seem to hurt Jeff Jordan’s ability to coach his teams to win titles.

aacoach126

Postby aacoach126 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Witnessed an official threaten to toss a coach from the tournament for having a ball cap on while sitting in the coach’s chair. Seems to me officials may be concerned with the wrong things.

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:09 am

Well Fairmont was being picky! And annoying with announcements but I get the “rule” a lot of misunderstanding tho rather it’s a rule or not I would like to see it in writing but I don’t think they should be allowed to wear hats

technical violation

Postby technical violation » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:44 am

I cannot find any specific rule in the ssac regarding "hats" however, I don't belive there is anything to say a tournament director or school couldn't say anything about dress code. If u look at the ohio st tournament, they do not allow jeans\shorts whatsoever , u must be in slacks or dockers , and that's from the first match to the last one. And frankly from what I've seen, some of the coaches dress well, most frankly look terrible, I feel if your going to coach, u should dress well, to represent your kids and your school, if we want people in the country to take wv seriously I think this is a good place to start

magna145

Postby magna145 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:45 am

This tournament seems to stir up some sort of controversy every year. It’s not usually related to wrestling, which is usually top notch, but some side issue. Charging table workers, hats , rude behavior from administrative staff, etc.. I’m not sure why it always seems to occur there but it does. I have no opinion on the hat issue although we do seem to have a significant amount of coaches who don’t look professional and it should be improved but I think there are better ways of handling it than announcing it over the p.a. system and using security for such petty issues.

KennyFPowers

Postby KennyFPowers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:41 am

We have a hard enough time finding quality people to coach our high school programs in WV and now their chosen attire is being critiqued.
Coaches do get paid, but they end up losing a lot of money if they are committed to having a competitive team. Some of the most successful and influential coaches throughout Ohio and PA wear jeans and a ball cap every weekend until the state tournament (see Elyria and Graham).

I wish some of referees would focus on getting their fat @$$5$ down to count near fall and less about how a coach is dressed.

Ridiculous!!!

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:28 am

[quote="magna145"]This tournament seems to stir up some sort of controversy every year. It’s not usually related to wrestling, which is usually top notch, but some side issue. Charging table workers, hats , rude behavior from administrative staff, etc.. I’m not sure why it always seems to occur there but it does. I have no opinion on the hat issue although we do seem to have a significant amount of coaches who don’t look professional and it should be improved but I think there are better ways of handling it than announcing it over the p.a. system and using security for such petty issues

True

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:39 pm

technical violation wrote:I cannot find any specific rule in the ssac regarding "hats" however, I don't belive there is anything to say a tournament director or school couldn't say anything about dress code. If u look at the ohio st tournament, they do not allow jeans\shorts whatsoever , u must be in slacks or dockers , and that's from the first match to the last one. And frankly from what I've seen, some of the coaches dress well, most frankly look terrible, I feel if your going to coach, u should dress well, to represent your kids and your school, if we want people in the country to take wv seriously I think this is a good place to start

I wore jeans to coach during the Ohio State Tournament. I am not sure where you got that information from. Unless this rule has recently been implemented.
Tench

technical violation

Postby technical violation » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:38 am

mscoach20 wrote:
technical violation wrote:I cannot find any specific rule in the ssac regarding "hats" however, I don't belive there is anything to say a tournament director or school couldn't say anything about dress code. If u look at the ohio st tournament, they do not allow jeans\shorts whatsoever , u must be in slacks or dockers , and that's from the first match to the last one. And frankly from what I've seen, some of the coaches dress well, most frankly look terrible, I feel if your going to coach, u should dress well, to represent your kids and your school, if we want people in the country to take wv seriously I think this is a good place to start

I wore jeans to coach during the Ohio State Tournament. I am not sure where you got that information from. Unless this rule has recently been implemented.[/quote

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/wr/boys/wrcfaq.htm

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:18 pm

What's fair is fair, I am all in favor of the no hats rule for wrestling coaches if we treat all sports equally. I do expect the powers that be to enforce the same rule in other sports. WV high school baseball coaches are going to do a lot of squinting without their ball cap. Softball coaches will be lost without a visor or hat with the pony tail hole. Football coaches wear hats of all shapes and sizes. Golf coaches will miss their headwear. WVSSAC should partner up with a sunscreen manufacturer or run the risk that the lawyers come out suing when skin cancer rates increase.

The coach wearing a baseball hat has hurt St Paris Graham's results.

It would be great to go back in time to watch a wv wrestling official try to take Steve Spurrier's visor, The Bear's Houndstooth Hat (not the Bearhugger), Tom Landry's Fedora, & Bum Phillips Cowboy Hat.

aacoach108

Postby aacoach108 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:59 pm

wrestlingfan23202 wrote:Well Fairmont was being picky! And annoying with announcements but I get the “rule” a lot of misunderstanding tho rather it’s a rule or not I would like to see it in writing but I don’t think they should be allowed to wear hats

West Fairmont (Fairmont Senior) had nothing to do with the hat/ballcap issue, those announcements were made at the request of the referees

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm

aacoach108 wrote:
wrestlingfan23202 wrote:Well Fairmont was being picky! And annoying with announcements but I get the “rule” a lot of misunderstanding tho rather it’s a rule or not I would like to see it in writing but I don’t think they should be allowed to wear hats

West Fairmont (Fairmont Senior) had nothing to do with the hat/ballcap issue, those announcements were made at the request of the referees

Referees are now setting dress codes at matches? Hmmmmm......
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 pm

[quote="wrestlingfan23202"][quote="magna145"]This tournament seems to stir up some sort of controversy every year. It’s not usually related to wrestling, which is usually top notch, but some side issue. Charging table workers, hats , rude behavior from administrative staff, etc.. I’m not sure why it always seems to occur there but it does. I have no opinion on the hat issue although we do seem to have a significant amount of coaches who don’t look professional and it should be improved but I think there are better ways of handling it than announcing it over the p.a. system and using security for such petty issues

True[/quote

I had an experience this year at the WC that was a first.

Instead of clearing the building before the finals, they wanted 1/2 of the gym to come down show their ticket and then they could return. I am sure this was an exercise to keep people out of the cold. However, the other half of the gym was expected to stay inside during this process. A guard was positioned to keep us from going downstairs. After a few minutes, we were told we could exit the building but we would have to go out the back door. Which is what we did. Some friends were leaving the tournament due to another engagement. I wanted to grab something to eat before the finals.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:23 pm

ZZChooseTop wrote:What's fair is fair, I am all in favor of the no hats rule for wrestling coaches if we treat all sports equally. I do expect the powers that be to enforce the same rule in other sports. WV high school baseball coaches are going to do a lot of squinting without their ball cap. Softball coaches will be lost without a visor or hat with the pony tail hole. Football coaches wear hats of all shapes and sizes. Golf coaches will miss their headwear. WVSSAC should partner up with a sunscreen manufacturer or run the risk that the lawyers come out suing when skin cancer rates increase.

The coach wearing a baseball hat has hurt St Paris Graham's results.

It would be great to go back in time to watch a wv wrestling official try to take Steve Spurrier's visor, The Bear's Houndstooth Hat (not the Bearhugger), Tom Landry's Fedora, & Bum Phillips Cowboy Hat.

Treat all sports equally??? Never happen. If it is cold in Fayette County, schools are closed. Basketball games can still be held but a major wrestling event that includes out of state teams paying for motels cannot. It is considered "an in season match", thus no big deal.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:28 am

Wow! Telling any boy from WV to not wear his hat inside a building is like telling a Mexican that he cannot eat Mexican food again!

I know many wear the hat to cover up their baldness but what is the point of this rule again?

aaacoach54

Postby aaacoach54 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 am

I don't know if it's a rule or not, but coaches should not be wearing hats and should be dressed appropriately. It's an honor to be in a leadership role with a school and a group of young people who are looking to you as an example. And one of my favorite stories of Bear Bryant was that he did take his famous fedora off when his team played indoors at the 1979 Sugar Bowl.

When asked at the 1979 Sugar bowl why he wasn't wearing his distinctive houndstooth hat. Bear Bryant was quoted as saying, "Mama said when you go indoors you take off your hat."

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3131 ... -superdome

Rob Archer
Huntington Wrestling

aacoach52

Postby aacoach52 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:33 am

I tell the WV boys and girls I coach not to wear their hats inside all of the time. I won't be telling any adult to take his or her hat off. That's their responsibility.

All of the other sports mentioned above are outside, go figure.

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:53 pm

technical violation wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:

I wore jeans to coach during the Ohio State Tournament. I am not sure where you got that information from. Unless this rule has recently been implemented.[/quote

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/wr/boys/wrcfaq.htm

Doesn't mention jeans as being inappropriate. Many coaches wore jeans. You forget, there are a BUNCH of good ol' boys from Ohio that are not going to wear khakis...and maybe not even own a pair. I was allowed to coach in jeans, as were the rest of my colleagues. Given Ohio wrestling is a national power, I can see why you would think they would be super strict on their coaches apparel.
Tench

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Really, debating hats? Why would the officials at WC make such a request? Hats should be allowed, jeans should be allowed, running shoes should be allowed, heck hair pieces should be allowed too!!! How about jewelry(watches and rings on coaches)? Might that blind an official or a wrestler? Ha........GET BACK TO WRESTLING!!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 pm

A referees job is not to enforce his idea of what a dress code is. Focus on being a referee. Worry more about my wrestler being illegally slammed, awarding points to the correct wrestler and calling a pin when there is one. There is no rule in the WVSSAC or NFHS handbooks about coach dress code and you have no authority to make one up and try to enforce it. Focus on your job.

A tournament director's job is not to create or enforce a dress code. Worry about getting the tournament actually started on time, brackets posted in a timely manner and not send us on 30 minute breaks every 1.5 hours to boost concession stand sales.

My coach tells me how to dress. He is in charge of our team and that includes me. He says I am to wear khaki pants and a team shirt. If he said "No hats" then I would take it off. He does not. Mind your own business and focus on wrestling.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:37 pm

dunbar76 wrote:Really, debating hats? Why would the officials at WC make such a request? Hats should be allowed, jeans should be allowed, running shoes should be allowed, heck hair pieces should be allowed too!!! How about jewelry(watches and rings on coaches)? Might that blind an official or a wrestler? Ha........GET BACK TO WRESTLING!!!

What about capes? :shock:
Moderator WV Mat

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:40 pm

coach_williams wrote:A referees job is not to enforce his idea of what a dress code is. Focus on being a referee. Worry more about my wrestler being illegally slammed, awarding points to the correct wrestler and calling a pin when there is one. There is no rule in the WVSSAC or NFHS handbooks about coach dress code and you have no authority to make one up and try to enforce it. Focus on your job.

A tournament director's job is not to create or enforce a dress code. Worry about getting the tournament actually started on time, brackets posted in a timely manner and not send us on 30 minute breaks every 1.5 hours to boost concession stand sales.

My coach tells me how to dress. He is in charge of our team and that includes me. He says I am to wear khaki pants and a team shirt. If he said "No hats" then I would take it off. He does not. Mind your own business and focus on wrestling.
i dont know if there is a hidden message in your post from a past tournament or incident....but, i totally agree with the words you say in this post.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Coach Williams-----I'm with you 100%!!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:12 pm

mscoach64 wrote: i dont know if there is a hidden message in your post from a past tournament or incident....but, i totally agree with the words you say in this post.

No hidden words at all. Just hoping my message makes sense.

dunbar76 wrote:Coach Williams-----I'm with you 100%!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”