Seeding Criteria - WSAZ

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Seeding Criteria - WSAZ

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:14 am

What is the seeding criteria used for the WSAZ?

Thank you
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

IndyHart

Re: Seeding Criteria - WSAZ

Postby IndyHart » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:00 pm

I believe it is (1) head to head, (2) common opponent, (3) 2017 state champ, (4) 2017 state placer, (5) 2017 WSAZ champ, (6) 2017 WSAZ placer, (7) record.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:19 pm

IndyHart wrote:I believe it is (1) head to head, (2) common opponent, (3) 2017 state champ, (4) 2017 state placer, (5) 2017 WSAZ champ, (6) 2017 WSAZ placer, (7) record.

When dealing with seeding freshmen, is their middle school WSAZ performance taken into consideration when the seeding gets down to #5 and #6 below?

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Bearhugger,

what weight class are you inquiring about seed criteria ? we may be able to figure out what criteria was used and how it was applied by process of elimination.

- "Watch out for the ringworm"!

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:53 pm

No. High school accomplishments. Freshmen won’t be seeded under criteria 3-6 because they couldn’t have participated in those tournaments last season (leaving aside the possibility of a KY freshman having wrestled varsity as an eighth grader). They just have to work through the other criteria to seed them.

aacoach114

Postby aacoach114 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:36 pm

220 Gavin Shamblin beat Stanly from Spring Valley but the Stanly boy got seeded 4th really. Help me understand your criteria

aacoach114

Postby aacoach114 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:55 pm

How is it that Stanly from Spring Valley got seeded 4th yet Gaven Shamblin beat him at winner Choice. Just wondering how that works

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:01 pm

aacoach114 wrote:How is it that Stanly from Spring Valley got seeded 4th yet Gaven Shamblin beat him at winner Choice. Just wondering how that works

I saw the match and Shamblin did indeed beat Stanley last weekend. "Head to head" is the alleged #1 criteria. I strongly recommend you follow up on this. Could just be an honest mistake that can quickly be corrected. I am sure the decision makers will always do the right thing.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:03 pm

I requested the seeding criteria for the WSAZ over 8 hours ago. After 808 "views", Indyhart is the only one that has provided an answer. I am going to run with what IndyHart has said. Nobody has brought forth a correction. In addition, I know Indyhart and he has always been on top of the rules and the ins/outs of various tournaments. I do welcome any corrections because knowing and FOLLOWING the criteria is important. How can we have a sport without rules and the consistent application of such rules.

Now, here is a perfect example of the said criteria in use. 126lbs. Brock Whorton of East Fairmont is seeded #1. Liam Lusher of Independence is seeded #2. Whorton wrestled Lusher one time this season and won HEAD TO HEAD via decision 2 to 1.

Lusher is a returning state champion. Whorton is a returning state runner up. Lusher is a returning WSAZ champion. Whorton is a returning WSAZ runner up. The criteria has been set! THE CRITERIA WAS FOLLOWED. The seeding of 126 is fair and based on the pre-determined criteria. No problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Now lets look at 106. We have a wrestler from St. Joe seeded #1. I do not know him and I have not researched him. No problem. We have a wrestler from Bluefield seeded #3. I do not know him either. Rumor is he is a state place winner from Virginia that has transferred to Bluefield.

Here is what I do not understand. Boyers of East Fairmont is seeded #2 and Cassucio of East Fairmont is seeded #4. Using the WSAZ criteria for seeding, Cassucio defeated Boyers in HEAD TO HEAD competition at the Cameron Tournament on January 6th by a score of 3-0. Please see the score section on WVMAT. Head to head is criteria #1. This is supposed to be the first decision maker in seeding. WHY IS IT BEING IGNORED?????? This is the only official HEAD TO HEAD match between these two wrestlers. They weighed in at a school sponsored tournament and wrestled a match that was officiated by a real, paid official.

Criteria #6 is returning WSAZ place winner. Cassucio placed FOURTH in the high school WSAZ last season. WHY IS IT BEING IGNORED????? There are TWO criteria where Cassucio should be seeded higher than Boyer.

Now, let me share some other information for all of West Virginia. Boyers finally won his FIRST wrestle off and is now considered the varsity wrestler for East Fairmont at 106. He will be the one who scores points for his team. That is cool. No problem.

However, the WSAZ seeding criteria that has been shared (and yet to be corrected) doesn't say anything about if you finally lost your first wrestle off on the Monday of the WSAZ, then everything you have accomplished all season doesn't count for seeding purposes. Head to head is head to head. Returning WSAZ place winner is returning WSAZ place winner.

Throughout the history of wrestling, if a seeding error is made, the wrestler's coaching staff has always "had his back" to challenge and correct such seeding oversights. However, one must question who has Cassucio's back since he is not the "points scorer" NOW for the team.

Who has his back?

WHY IS THE SEEDING CRITERIA NOT BEING FOLLOWED?

IS THERE A CLAUSE THAT SAYS A JV WRESTLER CANNOT BE SEEDED HIGHER THAN HIS VARSITY COUNTERPART???? If so, then somebody please stand up and educate us on this matter. If there is such a clause, then it needs to be seeding criteria #1. Head to head should be #2.

The seeding for the WSAZ 106 pound weight class needs to be explained, justified or CHANGED before competition begins on Friday!!!! Obviously the East Fairmont coaching staff is "OK" with the seeding. Just like they are "OK" with the wrestle off decisions made last season in relation to this season.

All of you readers..............this could be happening to your kid next season. We should all want the same rules followed rather than allowing the deck to be stacked against a 15-16 year old kid.

SOMEBODY please correct ME on the WSAZ seeding logic OR..........do the right thing and FIX the seeding for 106. With the information I have, it should be:

1. St. Joe's wrestler
2. Bluefield wrestler (given that he is a returning state place winner)
3. Cassucio
4. Boyers

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Hey if that Cassuico is being wronged he can always move south. FLOP HOUSE

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Bearhugger wrote:I requested the seeding criteria for the WSAZ over 8 hours ago. After 808 "views", Indyhart is the only one that has provided an answer. I am going to run with what IndyHart has said. Nobody has brought forth a correction. In addition, I know Indyhart and he has always been on top of the rules and the ins/outs of various tournaments. I do welcome any corrections because knowing and FOLLOWING the criteria is important. How can we have a sport without rules and the consistent application of such rules.

Now, here is a perfect example of the said criteria in use. 126lbs. Brock Whorton of East Fairmont is seeded #1. Liam Lusher of Independence is seeded #2. Whorton wrestled Lusher one time this season and won HEAD TO HEAD via decision 2 to 1.

Lusher is a returning state champion. Whorton is a returning state runner up. Lusher is a returning WSAZ champion. Whorton is a returning WSAZ runner up. The criteria has been set! THE CRITERIA WAS FOLLOWED. The seeding of 126 is fair and based on the pre-determined criteria. No problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Now lets look at 106. We have a wrestler from St. Joe seeded #1. I do not know him and I have not researched him. No problem. We have a wrestler from Bluefield seeded #3. I do not know him either. Rumor is he is a state place winner from Virginia that has transferred to Bluefield.

Here is what I do not understand. Boyers of East Fairmont is seeded #2 and Cassucio of East Fairmont is seeded #4. Using the WSAZ criteria for seeding, Cassucio defeated Boyers in HEAD TO HEAD competition at the Cameron Tournament on January 6th by a score of 3-0. Please see the score section on WVMAT. Head to head is criteria #1. This is supposed to be the first decision maker in seeding. WHY IS IT BEING IGNORED?????? This is the only official HEAD TO HEAD match between these two wrestlers. They weighed in at a school sponsored tournament and wrestled a match that was officiated by a real, paid official.

Criteria #6 is returning WSAZ place winner. Cassucio placed FOURTH in the high school WSAZ last season. WHY IS IT BEING IGNORED????? There are TWO criteria where Cassucio should be seeded higher than Boyer.

Now, let me share some other information for all of West Virginia. Boyers finally won his FIRST wrestle off and is now considered the varsity wrestler for East Fairmont at 106. He will be the one who scores points for his team. That is cool. No problem.

However, the WSAZ seeding criteria that has been shared (and yet to be corrected) doesn't say anything about if you finally lost your first wrestle off on the Monday of the WSAZ, then everything you have accomplished all season doesn't count for seeding purposes. Head to head is head to head. Returning WSAZ place winner is returning WSAZ place winner.

Throughout the history of wrestling, if a seeding error is made, the wrestler's coaching staff has always "had his back" to challenge and correct such seeding oversights. However, one must question who has Cassucio's back since he is not the "points scorer" NOW for the team.

Who has his back?

IS THERE A CLAUSE THAT SAYS A JV WRESTLER CANNOT BE SEEDED HIGHER THAN HIS VARSITY COUNTERPART???? If so, then somebody please stand up and educate us on this matter. If there is such a clause, then it needs to be seeding criteria #1. Head to head should be #2.

The seeding for the WSAZ 106 pound weight class needs to be explained, justified or CHANGED before competition begins on Friday!!!! Obviously the East Fairmont coaching staff is "OK" with the seeding. Just like they are "OK" with the wrestle off decisions made last season in relation to this season.

All of you readers..............this could be happening to your kid next season. We should all want the same rules followed rather than allowing the deck to be stacked against a 15-16 year old kid.

SOMEBODY please correct ME on the WSAZ seeding logic OR..........do the right thing and FIX the seeding for 106. With the information I have, it should be:

1. St. Joe's wrestler
3. Cassucio
4. Boyers

Contrary to your opinion. Nobody owes you anything. If this is something that needs to be addressed I am SURE the coaches will handle it. AND the fact the the previous post about this being deleted suggests it is info about a 15/16 year old kid that we don’t NEED to know!

RELAX, go to a tournament and enjoy it with the knowledge that you don’t NEED to know everything and it will not impact YOU in any way.

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:38 pm

The coaches are also responsible for sending relevant information about other competitors at the tournament. The tournament director should not have to dig through pages of results to confirm all of the head-to-heads.

Funny thing about seeds...they do not really matter when you have to actually toe a line and wrestle. I think with the size of this tournament (don't forget huggy Bear...there is a whole middle school side to this as well) they are doing a pretty good job year in and year out getting these kids in the right place.

Let us worry less about why the seeds came out the way they did, and enjoy the kids trying to prove they deserved the one seed.
Tench

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Bearhugger, I think, normally, if one beats the other in a wrestle-off, that is viewed pretty much the same as head-to-head, no matter if it was an official match. When two kids are on the same team like this, it probably is understood that the starter gets the edge. Sounds reasonable to me. Maybe you're going too far to suggest his coaches don't have the kid's back. Isn't it possible that his coaches are quite comfortable with their seeds and may think they could both meet in the finals anyway? Both are seeded well and in separate brackets. If the coaches/seeding committee was out to get JV wrestlers, they wouldn't give them their due respect and seed them right along with starters. The criteria set forth was not violated once one establishes starting position. Bearhugger, you might be the only one that is pitching a fit. It does seem like a bit of a low blow on this team and their coaches.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:58 pm

aacoach70 wrote:Bearhugger, I think, normally, if one beats the other in a wrestle-off, that is viewed pretty much the same as head-to-head, no matter if it was an official match. When two kids are on the same team like this, it probably is understood that the starter gets the edge. Sounds reasonable to me. Maybe you're going too far to suggest his coaches don't have the kid's back. Isn't it possible that his coaches are quite comfortable with their seeds and may think they could both meet in the finals anyway? Both are seeded well and in separate brackets. If the coaches/seeding committee was out to get JV wrestlers, they wouldn't give them their due respect and seed them right along with starters. The criteria set forth was not violated once one establishes starting position. Bearhugger, you might be the only one that is pitching a fit. It does seem like a bit of a low blow on this team and their coaches.

I refrained from sharing everything. No low blows yet. Obviously the head to head wasn't made clear in the seeding information submitted. That raises another question then. What if two wrestlers have wrestled three times? One wins 2 matches and the other only wins 1. Who wins the head to head? I figure it is the wrestler with 2 wins. If we are going to muddy the waters with "wrestle offs", then let's add up all the wrestle offs. All the wrestle offs and the lone head to head.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:10 pm

mscoach106 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:I requested the seeding criteria for the WSAZ over 8 hours ago. After 808 "views", Indyhart is the only one that has provided an answer. I am going to run with what IndyHart has said. Nobody has brought forth a correction. In addition, I know Indyhart and he has always been on top of the rules and the ins/outs of various tournaments. I do welcome any corrections because knowing and FOLLOWING the criteria is important. How can we have a sport without rules and the consistent application of such rules.

Who has his back?

1. St. Joe's wrestler
3. Cassucio
4. Boyers

Contrary to your opinion. Nobody owes you anything. If this is something that needs to be addressed I am SURE the coaches will handle it. AND the fact the the previous post about this being deleted suggests it is info about a 15/16 year old kid that we don’t NEED to know!

RELAX, go to a tournament and enjoy it with the knowledge that you don’t NEED to know everything and it will not impact YOU in any way.

Hey parents.....see this. Nobody owes me anything and I do agree. However, you parents should be involved enough to insure your kid is being treated fairly and CONSISTENTLY.

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
aacoach70 wrote:Bearhugger, I think, normally, if one beats the other in a wrestle-off, that is viewed pretty much the same as head-to-head, no matter if it was an official match. When two kids are on the same team like this, it probably is understood that the starter gets the edge. Sounds reasonable to me. Maybe you're going too far to suggest his coaches don't have the kid's back. Isn't it possible that his coaches are quite comfortable with their seeds and may think they could both meet in the finals anyway? Both are seeded well and in separate brackets. If the coaches/seeding committee was out to get JV wrestlers, they wouldn't give them their due respect and seed them right along with starters. The criteria set forth was not violated once one establishes starting position. Bearhugger, you might be the only one that is pitching a fit. It does seem like a bit of a low blow on this team and their coaches.

I refrained from sharing everything. No low blows yet. Obviously the head to head wasn't made clear in the seeding information submitted. That raises another question then. What if two wrestlers have wrestled three times? One wins 2 matches and the other only wins 1. Who wins the head to head? I figure it is the wrestler with 2 wins. If we are going to muddy the waters with "wrestle offs", then let's add up all the wrestle offs. All the wrestle offs and the lone head to head.

FLOP HOUSE

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:15 pm

mscoach20 wrote:The coaches are also responsible for sending relevant information about other competitors at the tournament. The tournament director should not have to dig through pages of results to confirm all of the head-to-heads.

Funny thing about seeds...they do not really matter when you have to actually toe a line and wrestle. I think with the size of this tournament (don't forget huggy Bear...there is a whole middle school side to this as well) they are doing a pretty good job year in and year out getting these kids in the right place.

Let us worry less about why the seeds came out the way they did, and enjoy the kids trying to prove they deserved the one seed.

I hear that all the time. This doesn't matter, that doesn't matter. There sure is a lot of time spent on seeding......even though it doesn't matter. Just what does matter these days in our great but shrinking sport? Maybe the menu of the hospitality room is what matters?

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 pm

The real issue is quite simple. You are speaking 100% on speculation. The actual criteria was not posted on this forum, and yet you speak of this as if you know the exact criteria. To be quite honest, most tournaments that seed without a meeting have a rubric they follow, and the only way head-to-head ever gets mentioned is by the coach. If it isn't mentioned, not much you can do.

I do not find something every day to make posts about, let alone multiple topics a day. Do not grow angry when people dismiss an issue you see to be the end of the world, simply because we view 10 end of the world scenarios daily when we click on the site. Seeding is great and it gives the best wrestler the easiest path. However, it is still just a path. Only that kid can use it to get to the title. Should someone be better, say the 8 seed beats the 1 seed then wins the tournament...did the seeds matter at all?

The answer is no. They wrestle.
Tench

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 pm

mscoach20 wrote:The real issue is quite simple. You are speaking 100% on speculation. The actual criteria was not posted on this forum, and yet you speak of this as if you know the exact criteria. To be quite honest, most tournaments that seed without a meeting have a rubric they follow, and the only way head-to-head ever gets mentioned is by the coach. If it isn't mentioned, not much you can do.

I do not find something every day to make posts about, let alone multiple topics a day. Do not grow angry when people dismiss an issue you see to be the end of the world, simply because we view 10 end of the world scenarios daily when we click on the site. Seeding is great and it gives the best wrestler the easiest path. However, it is still just a path. Only that kid can use it to get to the title. Should someone be better, say the 8 seed beats the 1 seed then wins the tournament...did the seeds matter at all?

The answer is no. They wrestle.

I requested how the WSAZ is seeded. Somebody gave their understanding. Nobody else has spoke up. I do not know what information was submitted. So now we do not know the seeding criteria and we do not know what information was submitted. Obviously the correct information was submitted at 126 because the seeding follows the perceived seeding criteria.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:01 am

Bearhugger wrote:I refrained from sharing everything. No low blows yet. Obviously the head to head wasn't made clear in the seeding information submitted. That raises another question then. What if two wrestlers have wrestled three times? One wins 2 matches and the other only wins 1. Who wins the head to head? I figure it is the wrestler with 2 wins. If we are going to muddy the waters with "wrestle offs", then let's add up all the wrestle offs. All the wrestle offs and the lone head to head.

In my experience, the best two out of three is not always the higher seed. The wrestler who won the most recent match is often the higher seed. I say this based off of seeding meetings that I have attended. Most coaches seem to adhere to this thinking, but some do see the 2 out of 3 as being a higher criteria. This is probably a debatable subject.

Regarding your point about seeding and the two EF wrestlers...my guess is the coaching staff is just happy that they are in opposite sides of the bracket to ensure they won't see each other before the finals.

To further muddy the waters, does the #1 seed meet any of the criteria? I believe 1 and 2 are out of the equation. I looked him up and found him on Trackwrestling and unless I looked up the wrong Amonn Ohl, he was a middle schooler last year which eliminates criteria 3-6. How did he end up #1?
Last edited by coach_williams on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:09 am

It's all corrupt. If I were you I'd never go to another wrestling match or even speak of wrestling ever again. Try that.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:48 am

Bearhugger wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:The coaches are also responsible for sending relevant information about other competitors at the tournament. The tournament director should not have to dig through pages of results to confirm all of the head-to-heads.

I hear that all the time. This doesn't matter, that doesn't matter. There sure is a lot of time spent on seeding......even though it doesn't matter. Just what does matter these days in our great but shrinking sport? Maybe the menu of the hospitality room is what matters?

Awesome post bearhugger!

rodneyjwv

Postby rodneyjwv » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:13 am

Wow did I just read a coach tell some one to quit? Not sure what you intended with your comment, no wonder we have so many that do give up and quit. Seems to be a theme of some. It doesn't go with the sport! Not sure why so many forum readers take comments on here so personally, if you would read the comment, notice he clearly stated with information provided to me from indyhart.
You may not like the person commenting, your reply suggests that. But at least read what he typed, by what information he was provided, his argument is valid.
You would rather he quit pointing out inconsistency. Not sure why.
Rodney James
HS Wrestling Fan GO SOUTH!!

Grappler

Postby Grappler » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:29 am

Bearhugger wrote:

It does matter, it matters a lot. I have watched my son for many many years get screwed by the bracket. Being put in the #1’s side of the bracket, then always getting the #1 in the semis which is the only one that could beat him, all the while watching the lesser wrestlers squeak by him with a good placement for them in the seeds. It has affected his mental game with wrestling over the years, knowing he always gets screwed. As luck would have it, he got screwed agian this weekend. The only way seeding would not matter is a TRUE 2nd tournament!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:48 am

aacoach70 wrote:It's all corrupt. If I were you I'd never go to another wrestling match or even speak of wrestling ever again. Try that.

That might be why participation is way down in your area.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:19 am

Lets all learn to get along with one another a little better.

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:26 am

Seeding is seeding and wrestling is like life. Even when you work hard, you don’t necessarily “win”. It sucks but it happens. I’ve tried to get mine to keep the mentality that seeding is just a tool. Sometimes it works in your favor, sometimes it doesn’t. Saying your kid is put on the side where he had to wrestle the only person who could beat him is defeatist.

My son was unseeded one year. Took 4th. To get there, he beat a kid in the blood round at regionals who he had never beaten before. He also beat a kid Saturday morning who had put him in consolation Thursday night. The next year he was seeded but finished way higher than his seed.

In the end, it’s up to us and our child how we react to the seeding. And how they perform. A kid with a positive attitude will always do better than a kid who thinks walking onto the mat thinking that he got the short end of the draw. If he’s rattled before he starts, he’s already lost the match.
Just my two cents

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:58 am

Ultimately, its all up to the coaches. Submit the initial list of wins, and other criteria. If those seeding happen to overlook one you submitted, or you think of another relevant win to point out, you point that out when the first draft of seeds is sent out. They would make the correction before the final seeds are made public.

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 am

In head to head It has always been last match wrestled. So it doesn't matter if wrestler a wins 9 times if wrestler b wins the last one wrestler b will be higher.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:13 am

As our coach told us seeding is irrelevant. If your ready the cream will rise to the top. If not get back in the room and practice harder. He won a state championship with that philosophy his first year of coaching.

Return to “High School Wrestling”