Rankings?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Re: Rankings?

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 am

Geoswaff wrote:Watched some great matches at Oak Hill tonight. Some key matchup results:

220 - Shamblin Sissonville 4-2 dec over Lively from Oak Hill
160 - Pullens Fayetteville 9-4 over Truman Oak Hill
160 - Pullens Fayetteville fall over Whittington Sissonville

This makes AA/A 220 more interesting. As many may recall, the Winner's Choice semifinals' matches were composed 100% of WV AA/A wrestlers.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 am

Yeah you are right, missed that one, this weight class hurts my head. Just tried again to decipher all of it and look at every angle. I think it is safe to assume that Patterson, Devaney, and Williams win their region, so they will have the best draw regardless of the pill. The other three are all in region 1, so hard to say how that shakes out, but I think seeding criteria for region 1 will play out as explained below, again there are some rabbit holes here that I could be missing. I think I would have to rank based off assumption of 3 most likely to win regions, then seeding for region 1.

1. Patterson (3 wins over the field and assumed region champion)
2. Williams (projected region champion)
3. Devaney (projected region champion but has most losses against the field listed)
4. Daugherty (head to head over Kotsko)
5. Kotsko (Over Moore - Common Opponent in field - Kotsko defeated Patterson, Patterson defeated Moore)
6. Moore (Placed higher than 5 of these guys at WSAZ)

Hardest Weight Class to Rank in a Very Long Time! Seeding meeting for region 1 will be fun. Nevermind above found another common opponent that changes the outcome. Forget it. Good luck to the 170 pounders this year, nothing comes easy.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:02 am

Good job on the AA/A rankings maskedman. I follow AAA much more and enjoy seeing the names of the top wrestlers. The A Challenge starts today with some good match ups upcoming.
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 am

maskedman wrote:Yeah you are right, missed that one, this weight class hurts my head. Just tried again to decipher all of it and look at every angle. I think it is safe to assume that Patterson, Devaney, and Williams win their region, so they will have the best draw regardless of the pill. The other three are all in region 1, so hard to say how that shakes out, but I think seeding criteria for region 1 will play out as explained below, again there are some rabbit holes here that I could be missing. I think I would have to rank based off assumption of 3 most likely to win regions, then seeding for region 1.

1. Patterson (3 wins over the field and assumed region champion)
3. Devaney (projected region champion but has most losses against the field listed)
5. Kotsko (Over Moore - Common Opponent in field - Kotsko defeated Patterson, Patterson defeated Moore)

Hardest Weight Class to Rank in a Very Long Time! Seeding meeting for region 1 will be fun. Nevermind above found another common opponent that changes the outcome. Forget it. Good luck to the 170 pounders this year, nothing comes easy.

I am not trying to be self important, but there is another side to this story. Also, the side is not top secret. Here is the side:

1. Moore of Wirt County is in region 4 with Devaney, thus we have a match up there.
2. Another fly in the ointment is Lawson of Independence. He is in region 3 with Patterson. Patterson beat Lawson 3-0 at the WSAZ.
3. With all due respect to the region 2 170s, we are overlooking all of you except for Williams. With that being said, it appears Williams will have the easiest region.
4. With at least 2 "discussed" wrestlers in each region, this then sets the stage for some pretty good quarterfinal matches at the state tournament. The pill pairs 2nd with 3rd and 1st with 4th(as all should recall). In this weight class, we should see 2nd and 1st winning on Thursday night and then meeting in the quarters Friday morning.
5. The other "X Factor" here is who bounces back in the consolation round better as opposed to falling apart.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm

maskedman wrote:1. Patterson (3 wins over the field and assumed region champion)

Moore beat Devaney... I'd pick him to do it again at Regionals.
To the best of my knowledge, Kotsko has not defeated Moore this year.
sentenceseller

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:22 pm

greencrush wrote:
maskedman wrote:1. Patterson (3 wins over the field and assumed region champion)

Has Moore and Kotsko wrestled this season?

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:51 am

After Conference Weekend here is my .02$ on 160 A/Aa. I think 1&2 are straight forward. As Gibson has victories over Pullens and Kessler with no losses to any in the list. Pullens has wins over 6 of these wrestlers with multiple wins over 3 of them (3x Whitney, 2x Stearns, 2x Truman) and he has 2 losses to others in this list but in each case has won the last time they wrestled and has won multiple times against them.

After that the wrestlers have beaten each other or there is limited data so it’s hard to say but I took a stab at it.
1) Gibson Indy
2) Pullens Fay
3) Stearns LH
4) Van Meter Moorfield
5) Baird Mad
6) Kessler GWest
7) Whitney Brax
8) Thomas EF
9) Dobbs Cam
10)Truman OH

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:51 pm

i have a suspicious feeling that some of these 170 kids will make surprise entrance in the 182 regional bracket.

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:21 pm

mscoach64 wrote:i have a suspicious feeling that some of these 170 kids will make surprise entrance in the 182 regional bracket.

Not sure if you were referring to my post above but this was for 160 lbs

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Geoswaff wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:i have a suspicious feeling that some of these 170 kids will make surprise entrance in the 182 regional bracket.

Not sure if you were referring to my post above but this was for 160 lbs
i was referring to the 170 talk above your post

MOOREFIELD1996

Postby MOOREFIELD1996 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:49 pm

Van Meter dec Stearns in their only meeting this year. Agreed that 1 & 2 at 160 are straight forward.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:13 am

All that will accomplish is make it easier for the 170s that stay at 170. I do not see any of the 170s having any advantage at 182. Matter of fact, I do not see any of them winning 182.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:14 am

greencrush wrote:

Patterson beat Lawson 1 to 0 on Saturday.

304sgt1

Postby 304sgt1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:03 am

Regionals are upon us and still no individual rankings.. what a ball drop!!

aacoach75

Postby aacoach75 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:18 am

Finial rankings will be out by the end of the month! ;)

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:32 pm

304sgt1 wrote:Regionals are upon us and still no individual rankings.. what a ball drop!!

Next season, WE can begin making our own as the first match is wrestled. However, it might be more difficult to obtain data because some folks prefer to post their scores on some other website. Even then, they choose not to tell anybody anything.

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 pm

Seems like an easy fix. WVSSAC should require that all match results be uploaded to a website of their choosing. They could enforce that by only sanctioning a Wrestlers official record based on what has been uploaded and ensuring that only official records from the site are used for seeding. This could then pave the way for a crappy mathematical formula for ranking teams and individual wrestlers (just like they do for football) for regional tournaments and state championships and maybe even a Duals championship!!!

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:20 pm

what other site do people post scores too?

aacoach75

Postby aacoach75 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:35 am

Track Wrestling

Return to “High School Wrestling”