2018 Brooke Classic teams

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Gator

Re: 2018 Brooke Classic teams

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:24 pm

vortexfan wrote:
Gator wrote:
vortexfan wrote:This is a surprise, thought South would have won this

You’ve obviously never seen Erie Cathedral Prep wrestle.

True but didn’t they beat them at Powerade?

Think they may have had a couple different moves in weight classes at Brooke and all their guys in the lineup. South was actually missing 2 starters at Powerade. (170 and 182) They are a tough team, well coached and good group of young men.
Moderator WV Mat

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Gator wrote:
vortexfan wrote:
Gator wrote:

You’ve obviously never seen Erie Cathedral Prep wrestle.

Think they may have had a couple different moves in weight classes at Brooke and all their guys in the lineup. South was actually missing 2 starters at Powerade. (170 and 182) They are a tough team, well coached and good group of young men.

Thanks for the info, I’m sure they are a tough team. I just felt from the info on this forum South was favored to win Brooke classic

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm

vortexfan wrote:
Gator wrote:
vortexfan wrote:

Thanks for the info, I’m sure they are a tough team. I just felt from the info on this forum South was favored to win Brooke classic

I’m not saying South could not have won it, but they would have had to wrestle their best to do so. There was an article in the newspaper where coach Smith stated that exact thing. We had 7 in the finals and I think 2 going for 3rd. They had 9 in the finals and 4 going for 3rd.
Moderator WV Mat

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:32 am

Not making any excuses, but a couple close head to head matches lost by South to Erie probably produced about a 30 point swing in team scores. One was a loss in SV-OT and the other was a loss by a last second pin while actually ahead by points with just a few seconds left. Those kind of things can result in a significant change when things are this close. However, a loss is a loss and of course, there are always many other what ifs that can always come into play. Nevertheless, Erie Prep wrestled tough and very aggressive and deserved the win on Saturday. They even had a couple unseeded kids finish in second place and bump 1st seeded kids from South into the consolation bracket early on. It was pointed out they were in 4th place and only about 40 or so point behind South's 3rd place finish at Powerade. Scoring at tougher tournaments can be affected a lot by how many kids can score points against that kind of competition, while at smaller tournaments some wrestlers who did not score much can be more productive and shift the balance in favor of their team. Seneca Valley, Circleville, and Oegon Clay (along with some others) had some real quality wrestlers there as well.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:37 am

KDunbar wrote:Not making any excuses, but a couple close head to head matches lost by South to Erie probably produced about a 30 point swing in team scores. One was a loss in SV-OT and the other was a loss by a last second pin while actually ahead by points with just a few seconds left. Those kind of things can result in a significant change when things are this close. However, a loss is a loss and of course, there are always many other what ifs that can always come into play. Nevertheless, Erie Prep wrestled tough and very aggressive and deserved the win on Saturday. They even had a couple unseeded kids finish in second place and bump 1st seeded kids from South into the consolation bracket early on. It was pointed out they were in 4th place and only about 40 or so point behind South's 3rd place finish at Powerade. Scoring at tougher tournaments can be affected a lot by how many kids can score points against that kind of competition, while at smaller tournaments some wrestlers who did not score much can be more productive and shift the balance in favor of their team. Seneca Valley, Circleville, and Oegon Clay (along with some others) had some real quality wrestlers there as well.

I’m knew you had some stats on the results Kenny. I knew we had some tough losses that changed the outcome also. But ECP has some good kids and our kids gave it their all. Good competition never hurt anyone.

Good visiting with you at Brooke!
Moderator WV Mat

aaacoach33

Postby aaacoach33 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:51 pm

http://shop.actionimages.us/RedCart/mob ... ID=2Finals

pictures provided by actionimages.us
In the end we win

Return to “High School Wrestling”