Single A Challenge

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Newcomer

Single A Challenge

Postby Newcomer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:07 pm

Seeding?

Gator

Re: Single A Challenge

Postby Gator » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Seeds for the West Virginia ‘A’ Challenge

today and Saturday at Ritchie County High

106: Logan Powell (Wirt), Wiley Houser (St. Marys), Marshall Clere (Gr. West), Timmy Adkins (Ravenswood)

113: Brady Layman (Ritchie), Hunter Poole (Wirt), Preston Menas (Ravenswood), Joseph Powers (Doddridge)

120: Connor Spaulding (Ritchie), Ethan Van Matre (Wahama), Kyler Cecil (Magnolia), AJ Garrett (Wirt)

126: Logan Seldomridge (Gr. West), Bret Primm (Ritchie), Reese Burnside (Doddridge), Colton Whipkey (Wirt)

132: Wyatt Powell (Wirt), Roman Baird (Madonna), Dan Nutter (Gr. West), Trevor Hunt (Wahama)

138: Alec Cook (Madonna), Bailey Alderman (Richwood), Austin Dalton (Ritchie), Cody Hunter (Tyler)

145: Trevor Edenfield (Gr. West), Willie Wise (St. Marys), Clay Tanner (Ravenswood), Logan Mackey (Cameron)

152: Ethan Herdman (Wahama), Malik Cox (Gr. West), Michael Doyle (Tyler), Jacob Tanner (Ravenswood)

160: Colton Kessler (Gr. West), Colton Dobbs (Cameron), Hunter Baird (Madonna), Chase Hood (Ravenswood)

170: Chase Patterson(Gr. West), Hunter Moore (Wirt), Caleb Marcum (Buffalo), Jacob Todd (Madonna)

182: Garrett Cook (Madonna), Josh Mason (Ritchie), Colton Dorsey (Gr. West), James Stillwagonner (Magnolia)

195: Donavan Kirby (Madonna), Noah Brown (Gr. West), Hunter Leggett (Ritchie), Brody Cartwright (Magnolia)

220: Antonio Serevicz (Wahama), Antone Herring (St. Marys), Isaac Brown (Gr. West), Ryan Cross (Paden City)

285: Cory Chipps (Tyler), Levi Lesher (Midland Trail), Ryan Ekey (Madonna), Codey Riley (Buffalo)
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:20 pm

I want to continue to applaud the individuals that made this tournament happen last season and are keeping it ongoing.

This was a big positive for WV wrestling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

NightTrain

Postby NightTrain » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:08 am

I attended the Friday evening session. This is an excellent tournament to measure the Single A schools and the individual wrestlers. I had plans to attend another tournament tomorrow; hieever, I might just make the trip back to Ritchie County.

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:41 pm

The link to the bracket on the scores page only includes the 106 bracket. Can we get the rest of the brackets uploaded

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:10 pm

Hope this does not water down Wrestling in WV.

Matman31

Postby Matman31 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:17 am

How's it gonna water it down ?

NightTrain

Postby NightTrain » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:18 am

RealGreco wrote:Hope this does not water down Wrestling in WV.

Until the WVSSAC changes its criteria of student enrollment and/or regional alignments, AA/A regions will be flooded with talent that doesnt qualify for states. This tournament speaks for itself when compared to state tournament results. From my understanding JV wrestlers were allowed to compete if a weight division wasnt filled from another team. Pretty cool seeing two Greenbrier West kids in the finals. I believe it was won with a descion.

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:25 am

Matman31 wrote:How's it gonna water it down ?

Very easily. WVSSAC sees a money savings opportunity. If A is happy with own tournament in a gym, then AA can have their own in a gym, AAA can have their own in a high school gym. No more united state tournament each year. 3 smaller, separate, much cheaper tournaments.

And the fans and A coaches supported, promoted and encouraged this, the WVSSAC won't be to blame.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:00 am

maskedman wrote:

Very easily. WVSSAC sees a money savings opportunity. If A is happy with own tournament in a gym, then AA can have their own in a gym, AAA can have their own in a high school gym. No more united state tournament each year. 3 smaller, separate, much cheaper tournaments.

And the fans and A coaches supported, promoted and encouraged this, the WVSSAC won't be to blame.

With all of the outrageous stuff that has happened this season, anything is possible.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:41 pm

I agree with Maskedman’s statements. WV already have a very very small group of high schools in the AAA and AA ranks. Trying to give out a participate trophy to every wrestler that steps on the mat is NOT going to get the numbers up! I even read about the uniform change to wearing the compressed shorts and shirts! Really?!

What has this sport come to?
The WV state needs to change it’s way of running the sport! Send some of the members to observe other successful states. ( lose the mentality,” We are WV and this is the way WE run things, screw the other states!)
Really?! If that is the case then stop complaining about the kids not coming out.

Matman31

Postby Matman31 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:32 pm

maskedman wrote:

Yeah I see your point in that but , that's not the case here it's only to see who the best single A kid is and after the tourney is over back to business focusing on the real state tourney

Matman31

Postby Matman31 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:34 pm

maskedman wrote:

Yeah I see your point in that but , that's not the case here it's only to see who the best single A kid is and after the tourney is over back to business focusing on the real state tourney

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:22 pm

Matman31 wrote:
maskedman wrote:

Ok, then who is the best AA. You see the point but want to look the other way with others until it is too late. AAA has their own, and it is sanctioned. The other sanctioned class was AA/A combined. Not good enough for some. So now the WVSSAC sees how cheaply it can be done with 3 classes of 30 schools ran out of school gymnasium.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:00 am

So who is the real state champ in each weight class if you have 3 State champions?
Please don’t tell me some idiot will suggest to have all three state champs from each weight class wrestle in “special” final state tournament! WV will be a laughing stock of HS wrestling!

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 pm

I can understand the fear by some of the WVSSAC being opportunistic and viewing this as a cost cutting opportunity, but you cant yell fire when there isn't even any smoke yet. This tournament is a great opportunity for single A wrestlers to measure themselves up to the other single A wrestlers, why would you take that away? Until WVSSAC starts proposing to change the current state tournament because of this new tournament, then I think this is a non issue.

wvuptc

Postby wvuptc » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm sorry, but how in the world is having an unofficial A tournament a bad thing for the sport of wrestling in the state of WV? We struggle EVERY year to promote our sport and get kids hands raised. You can say all you want about "watering down, blah, blah blah," but unless you are in the trenches day in and day out:

Trying to promote your pee wee programs and middle school programs
Trying to get as many people out as possible to fill a weight class
When you do get a kid out, you do everything you can to get their hand raised (watered down or not)
You organize camps, watch film, etc. to try to get better
You spend hours tallying stats to get their names in the paper
You travel to different locations on your own dime to get kids seeded

Then, after all that, you still don't fill all your weight classes. Why? Because this is a tough sport! It's just as tough now as it ever has been. On top of that, it is MUCH tougher in A-AA now than it ever has been to qualify. I've had kids that I knew would win a few matches or even place, and not get in the top 6 in a region, let alone top 4.

So, whatever you want to call last weekend, I call it a lot of hard work by a lot of dedicated coaches who saw the need to do SOMETHING about the where wrestling in headed in our state. We could chose to do what many do, and that is complain and moan on this forum. But instead, several guys said: let's show what we have in the small school level. Guess what? We still have quality! This week's results show that.

As for the WVSSAC making money, all teams paid a decent entry fee to attend this. Ritchie County no doubt didn't make much running this thing by the time they paid for officials and trophies. News flash: wrestling isn't a money maker and never will be, regardless of how many kids you get out, etc. The WVSSAC would be more inclined to make changes if we were. Why do we take 16 teams from every class in football? Does anyone really think their are 16 good A teams in the state of WV? It's about the money.

Cummings

Postby Cummings » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm sorry, but how in the world is having an unofficial A tournament a bad thing for the sport of wrestling in the state of WV? We struggle EVERY year to promote our sport and get kids hands raised. You can say all you want about "watering down, blah, blah blah," but unless you are in the trenches day in and day out:

Trying to promote your pee wee programs and middle school programs
Trying to get as many people out as possible to fill a weight class
When you do get a kid out, you do everything you can to get their hand raised (watered down or not)
You organize camps, watch film, etc. to try to get better
You spend hours tallying stats to get their names in the paper
You travel to different locations on your own dime to get kids seeded

Then, after all that, you still don't fill all your weight classes. Why? Because this is a tough sport! It's just as tough now as it ever has been. On top of that, it is MUCH tougher in A-AA now than it ever has been to qualify. I've had kids that I knew would win a few matches or even place, and not get in the top 6 in a region, let alone top 4.

So, whatever you want to call last weekend, I call it a lot of hard work by a lot of dedicated coaches who saw the need to do SOMETHING about the where wrestling in headed in our state. We could chose to do what many do, and that is complain and moan on this forum. But instead, several guys said: let's show what we have in the small school level. Guess what? We still have quality! This week's results show that.

As for the WVSSAC making money, all teams paid a decent entry fee to attend this. Ritchie County no doubt didn't make much running this thing by the time they paid for officials and trophies. News flash: wrestling isn't a money maker and never will be, regardless of how many kids you get out, etc. The WVSSAC would be more inclined to make changes if we were. Why do we take 16 teams from every class in football? Does anyone really think their are 16 good A teams in the state of WV? It's about the money.

Great post by WVUPTC. I applaud Coach Davis and anyone else involved in making this event successful. Good luck at regional and states.
[color=#FF0000]Lee Cummings

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 pm

No problem on my end guys. I don’t whine about nothing because if this is how you want to try to get kids to come out for wrestling .. good luck!
How did the great state of Texas ( which used to have a joke of a wrestling team when they first started out) is now fielding many good wrestlers. Look at Maine and Conn. which is smaller than WV. Doing great. I know most of you are struggling, why not look where it is a success.
Wrestling has always been the toughest sport in the World and it is NOT for the weak. I would rather have 6 of the badness kids that would love to hurt and humiliate you, then to have a full squad that had wrestling “ tailored “ to fit their “ needs”.
Good for everyone who made the A class feel like champions.
Now let me get back to minding my own business and making animals in my neck of the woods!
Have a great wrestling season!

Return to “High School Wrestling”