Skin issues

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
matcoach90

Skin issues

Postby matcoach90 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:30 pm

A certain team at the Viking Smash this past weekend had several wrestlers with obvious, visible ringworm. The folks running the tournament said they had the appropriate medical paperwork to allow them to wrestle. You and I both know how easy it would be to fake the currently accepted paperwork for skin issues. So the question is... how can we get a more reliable confirmation on medical paperwork? Some of these boys had infections that looked raw and fresh, not healing. You’d think after last years deabcle, we could get a little more strict on how this is handled. Talk about taking out several teams at this time of year... it could be disastrous. You’d like to believe that we could all work on the honor system, but it makes you wonder. I felt bad for some of their wrestlers, because after every team wrestled them, they ran over to immediately wipe down with disinfectant I don’t know what the answer is, but definitely something worth discussing.

mattman

Re: Skin issues

Postby mattman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Ringworm is a simple fungus. If treated 48 hours it isnt contagious but the form states treated for 72 hours. I wouldnt worry too much about the ringworm because every wrestler has had it several times in their lives. Its the herpes and impatego that scare me. I mean these kids walk in a nasty restroom and straight onto the mat to wrestle. Impossible to keep the germs down. Its up to the wrestler and parents to use disinfectant wipes after every match. Our high school coach requires a mandatory shower before you leave the gym (even uses towels soaked in bleach as door mats before you walk on the mat) and we havnt had any problems. You can have direct contact with ringworm and wipe down and shower and you shouldnt have any problems. The coach of the specific team you mentioned needs to get that under control for sure

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:45 pm

thats why the host of the tournament should have a physician be on site for weigh ins. if no physician is on site you can't do anything about it if they have a skin form.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Good points... some parents and coaches need to take more responsibility in this area. I think most do a great job being on top of this, but there’s always a few. It’s just not worth screwing a kid’s or entire team’s season this time of year, so close to conference, regional and state tournaments.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:16 pm

I saw this thread and thought the Russians were back! :shock:
Moderator WV Mat

BEARwatch

Postby BEARwatch » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:14 pm

It was disgusting!!!!!!!! If you have a skin issue, STAY OFF THE MAT!!!!!!!!!! I'll be very upset if my son misses upcoming matches,especially this time of year!

Kent Garvin

Postby Kent Garvin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:44 pm

Here we go....Herpes States, round II.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Gator wrote:I saw this thread and thought the Russians were back! :shock:

Steve , the “Rooskie” infiltrators have never left! Only pushed underground to return when the numbers and situation are more to their liking. Stay vigilant.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:
Gator wrote:I saw this thread and thought the Russians were back! :shock:

Steve , the “Rooskie” infiltrators have never left! Only pushed underground to return when the numbers and situation are more to their liking. Stay vigilant.

The bots are still pouring in. Doc set them up for approval/Disapproval and we have deleted countless post. It’s still a pain in the tookus!
Moderator WV Mat

aacoach61

Postby aacoach61 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Skin issues will be the demise of our sport, like concussions are to football, unless we wake up.

Every wrestler must (1.) shower after every practice and match, (2.) have their workout clothes and singlets washed after every use, and (3.) coaches must sanitize the mats with a hospital quality disinfectant every day. Also, (4) no street shoes on any mat, (5.) no sharing towels and (6.) no wrestling shoes worn in the bathroom area.

Ringworm is in fact contagious and a wrestler cannot have contact with another wrestler until the disease is gone. No exceptions.

The above are first and foremost the responsibility of every wrestler and coach. What happened last year at our state tournament should never be repeated. If you see someone with street shoes on walk across a mat, call them out in it for the good of our sport.

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:23 pm

Ringworm is also picked up at preschool, from chairs and toys, at elementary schools, etc, etc ,etc. It is not a wrestling specific issue. It is also a very non threatening issue if treated.

I'm not saying it should be looked over, but a totally different level than last year's issue. Herpes is with you forever, ringworm treated and gone.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 pm

All true statements, and though ringworm can be contracted in other areas and it’s not a life long infection, it can be disastrous for a wrestler and entire teams this time of year... and that’s the main point here. Conference and regional time is here. Allowing infected wrestlers to compete and/or practice is simply irresponsible and disingenuous to our sport and those who compete in it. More can be done, and should be done.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:16 am

And it's one of those unfortunate things where, when you do everything right, you can still get skin infections. Many people are carriers, walking around with it, and never show signs themselves. It seems a wrestler's skin is always scuffed and compromised, so they are susceptible. Contagious conditions can spread prior to the onset of symptoms/lesions, which makes it difficult to pin down. If it were as simple as recognizing symptoms and excluding affected individuals, it wouldn't be so difficult to manage. Then, when contracted and reported, you are often unfairly perceived as the culprit. It can be a threat to our programs and a public health issue. We must all be vigilant, follow safety guidelines, and try to be responsible for our own cleanliness.

Return to “High School Wrestling”